Author Topic: Small Daily acts of saving the planet.  (Read 2846 times)

Fractal-

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Small Daily acts of saving the planet.
« on: September 15, 2017, 01:11:41 PM »
Hey everyone.  I am new here.

I am politically homeless, but my views have been changing slightly on many different topics.

I am of the mind that man does play a role in the climate here on earth, although I admit I do not know exactly to what extent.  That being said, I figure if we affect it at all, that is a good enough reason to make sure we make wise choices.  I love the out doors, hiking, camping and what not, so I am all for doing things to preserve what I love.

I see a lot of talk on the news about all of the plans and accords, and government regulations which are being put in place, or talked about, and I feel like this is putting a band-aid on a bullet wound.  Companies will always continue to find ways around regulations, usually just bribing governments to get what they want because they enjoy making truck loads of money.  This is why, to me, I believe climate change is more of a cultural issue than it is a political issue.  Companies are at the whim of you and I to make money, so I believe the only way to affect them is for a mass cultural shift in how we all spend our money, and make choices.

Now... I know this is a pipe dream, but I have been stalking MMM for quite some time and have found everyone's stories and postings quite enlightening, so I wanted to ask this:

What are some ways that you have changed your life style to stop contributing to the whole "Climate Change" Issue?  I would be very curious to learn from everyone.

For me, I have:
1.) reached a deal with work to only come in 2 days a week.  I have a bit of a commute, so cutting 60% of my drive time out has helped me in a lot of ways, including my emissions.
2.)  I currently use an Samsung Galaxy 4, and will continue to do so until it blows up, so I am not contributing to the "I need a new phone every 12 months" fiasco.
3.) I no longer grocery shop.  I have a self sustaining garden that makes enough for me and mine, and have some left over to sell for next to nothing to friends.  all organic, responsibly raised fruits and veggies.  I also buy my meat from a local farmer who shares my concern for responsibly raised food.  I believe this cuts down my footprint for packaging and shipping.  I do buy beer, but as much as possible I use growlers at my local breweries so I dont have too many cans and bottles.
4.)  I dont use a lot of AC/Heating.  Here in North Carolina we hardly need it.  I open the windows, or start a fire.

Tell me what you all do, I am sure I can make further change.

P.S.  I dont want this to turn into a thread about actually debating global warming.  There are several of those.  We can all agree that making these kinds of changes are, at the very least, very Mustacian.

Cheers.

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
Re: Small Daily acts of saving the planet.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 01:40:44 PM »
I take my son to daycare and go to work on a bicycle.
I almost don't eat meat and I'm planning on consuming less eggs and milk than I currently do.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 01:59:17 PM »
Quit buying fucking bottled water!

A few things I've done recently:
1. Using one bath towel for 2 weeks
2. Bringing my own reusable shopping bags instead of opting for plastic (and kudos to the stores that reward you for a few cents off for each bag you bring)
3. Taking glass/plastic items out of the trash at the end of work and tossing them in the recycling bin

Also, welcome to the MMM forums OP! :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 01:39:50 PM by Cwadda »

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 12:09:44 AM »
I try to buy more things online.  It apparently is more energy efficient:  https://persquaremile.com/2013/08/21/what-is-more-energy-efficient-shopping-online-or-in-stores/

I try to combine errands to go in one efficient trip.  I have a hybrid vehicle, interested in going electric.

One thing that really ticks me off is going to restaurants, seeing people grab tons of napkins, eat, and then leave, leaving a wad of clean unused napkins on the table.  Then those have to be thrown away.

I take my leftover clean napkins home, use them at home, or use them to clean the car.  All that effort / energy used to create the napkins and to have them be thrown away never being even used once rages me.

People are far too lazy / stupid to take care of the planet.  They don't know how lucky they are to live in this amazing planet in this amazing time.  Those Pieces of Lazy Shits take things for granted and waste perfectly good products for nothing.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 12:12:14 AM by Valhalla »

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 12:37:59 AM »
Might want to check out the thread on reducing environmental impact in my signature line. Lots of ideas there.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 05:01:55 PM »
Most things that reduce consumption (to save money) also are good for the planet...  Stayed at home today instead of driving to another town for a special event.

lukebuz

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 08:33:31 PM »
OP:  Starting a fire = dumping hundreds of pounds of CO2 into the air.  Just an FYI.

Also - consider homebrewing for your beer.  Really not hard, if you are into gardening and such.  Buy used equipment.  Easy to find.

TheMadRussian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 11:07:46 PM »
Those are some great things, especially the one about keeping a smartphone until it's no longer working, not simply no longer the coolest.

As for me, I visited a country for work recently that has a real litter/trash problem. In fact, there was so much garbage - everywhere and most of it plastic - that it really affected me and made me reconsider my own life and consumption patterns.

So my little daily thing since I returned from that trip has been to pick up some litter outside every day. A few times (and this has been the most rewarding part) complete strangers have seen me picking up trash and joined in.

ForeverFrugal47

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • A Lannister always pays his debts
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 12:12:52 PM »
So my little daily thing since I returned from that trip has been to pick up some litter outside every day. A few times (and this has been the most rewarding part) complete strangers have seen me picking up trash and joined in.

I love this idea!  I'd especially like to pick up litter while hiking in a state park.

Some things I've done:
1. Biking around town instead of driving as long as it's not raining.
2. Cutting back on eating meat, otherwise I try and stick with poultry and sardines.
3. Buying used instead of new

bwall

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 12:28:47 PM »
OP:  Starting a fire = dumping hundreds of pounds of CO2 into the air.  Just an FYI.

But, please continue your train of thought to it's logical end. The CO2 emitted is going to go into the atmosphere anyway; either all at once via a fire, or slowing over a course of months (years?) via decomposition. Think about it: the same amount of energy (and CO2) is stored in a piece of wood. It can either be released slowly or all at once.

The question is; were trees cut down on purpose for firewood? Or, is he being responsible by scavenging wood that has already fallen and thus harnessing the heat instead of letting it dissipate, thereby avoiding the use of fossil fuels?

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 12:52:46 PM »
Bike
buying almost everything used
having lots of kids and raising them well so they pull society in the right direction :)

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 02:24:14 PM »
Adopted a plant-based diet 1/1/16.  http://www.onegreenplanet.org/environment/how-eating-more-plant-based-foods-benefits-the-environment/

We've composted as much as we can the last couple years.  No longer dumping out most food waste, including coffee grinds.

Walk or bike to work every day.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 12:39:10 PM »
I learned to true a bicycle wheel rather than pitching it and buying a new one. For the price of ~50 spokes I can replace spokes forever I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ4g1QNg4dU

Left the zipties in place and have used them twice. I'm not a skinny guy, my wheel has alot of miles on it, and its an ebike. That poor wheel takes a whipping.

Am going outside to true our teen's wheel (with the teen so they learn too).

Renovated an older Win7 computer by installing Mint Linux on it. Still a useful computer!

When something wears out we replace them with more efficient things - appliances, cars, etc. Since we keep expensive things 10-20 years this is easy. ;)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!