Author Topic: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance - VICTORY!  (Read 290862 times)

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance
« Reply #950 on: June 19, 2018, 09:43:13 AM »

ematicic

• Stubble
  • Money Enthusiast
« Reply #951 on: June 19, 2018, 10:30:30 AM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/laura-ingraham-advertisers-respond-migrant-summer-camp-comments-2018-6

Feel free to contact these advertisers if you have time today.

What is the desired end result of these protests? Is the goal to have completely open borders? I know Liberals pay big money to get the angry crowds riled up but what is your desired end state of US Immigration?

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #952 on: June 19, 2018, 10:38:32 AM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/laura-ingraham-advertisers-respond-migrant-summer-camp-comments-2018-6

Feel free to contact these advertisers if you have time today.

What is the desired end result of these protests? Is the goal to have completely open borders? I know Liberals pay big money to get the angry crowds riled up but what is your desired end state of US Immigration?

That's not what this thread is for. Start your own if you want to talk about this.

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #953 on: June 19, 2018, 10:42:07 AM »
- Upped my NRA membership to Life.
- Joined the Texas Nationalist Movement.
- Emailed Lance Gooden about Term Limits (He supports them and said we would sign the legislator list supporting them)
- Emailed Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton asking if his department could prepare a report on the representation and results of illegal immigrants detained in Texas, as well as their average length-of-stay and average cost to deport.

Been a busy morning.  :)

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #954 on: June 19, 2018, 10:53:06 AM »
Please move to either the discussion thread or start a conservative actions thread.

Big ups on term limits though!

TR, what are you looking to determine with the final bullet? I'm curious about similar things. Please respond in the discussion thread if you're open to it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 10:59:32 AM by MonkeyJenga »

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #955 on: June 21, 2018, 07:50:56 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/parenting/wp/2018/06/19/these-parents-hoped-to-raise-1500-for-separated-families-then-their-facebook-fundraiser-went-viral/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.e0b989a7b4b4

A viral fundraiser on Facebook has now collected more than $15 million - 10,000 times the original goal - for RAICES, a non-profit in Texas working to reunite immigrant children with their parents and now, they've said they will also provide legal representation as well.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #956 on: June 21, 2018, 09:04:16 AM »
Had a long talk with a formerly conservative friend who has had enough of the monstrosities of the Trump organization. She committed to voting straight-ticket Democratic until Trump is out of office and the GOP stops being the party she is now ashamed of.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #957 on: June 21, 2018, 10:23:02 AM »
Had a long talk with a formerly conservative friend who has had enough of the monstrosities of the Trump organization. She committed to voting straight-ticket Democratic until Trump is out of office and the GOP stops being the party she is now ashamed of.

Whoa, you discovered a unicorn!  I mean, I've seen a few editorials with "top GOP strategist" or "Bush White House official" disavowing the GOP and promising to vote for Dems this November but I didn't think any "real Americans" were changing their minds.  Very cool and good job on contributing!

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #958 on: June 21, 2018, 10:44:35 AM »

Whoa, you discovered a unicorn!  I mean, I've seen a few editorials with "top GOP strategist" or "Bush White House official" disavowing the GOP and promising to vote for Dems this November but I didn't think any "real Americans" were changing their minds.  Very cool and good job on contributing!

Thanks. I have actually had quite a few conversations with people who are conservative leaning but don't follow politics very much, who are starting to come around. Besides the person I talked about above, there are at least four others I can think of who are sounding pretty left-leaning these days compared to how they used to.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #959 on: June 21, 2018, 10:58:13 AM »
I have met many people who are voting Democratic only because of Trump. Mostly people I've canvassed in different elections. Ranges from registered Republicans who actually switch their reg to Dem and swear off Republicans forever, to people who are more moderate and would normally vote on the person, but now will only vote Dem.

Fun fact: I fall in the latter category.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #960 on: June 21, 2018, 11:16:36 AM »
That gives me hope to hear.  My canvassing hasn't been so optimistic.  In one day of going only to registered Dems, one told us that he had been meaning to change his registration to Republican (really???  NOW? Like, you didn't like them before, but they are cool NOW??) and another said that we should get the F off his porch and slammed the door in our face.  That was just a few months ago, again a registered Dem, and it was because we were Dem volunteers and he is now a Trump supporter.  I haven't had anyone express any increased desire to vote now or vote more blue in light of Trump et al.  :(

However, in the spirit of this thread, BF and I are attempting to go canvassing once per month through the election. 

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #961 on: June 21, 2018, 11:42:30 AM »
That gives me hope to hear.  My canvassing hasn't been so optimistic.  In one day of going only to registered Dems, one told us that he had been meaning to change his registration to Republican (really???  NOW? Like, you didn't like them before, but they are cool NOW??) and another said that we should get the F off his porch and slammed the door in our face.  That was just a few months ago, again a registered Dem, and it was because we were Dem volunteers and he is now a Trump supporter.  I haven't had anyone express any increased desire to vote now or vote more blue in light of Trump et al.  :(

However, in the spirit of this thread, BF and I are attempting to go canvassing once per month through the election.

I think that getting strangers to change their opinions based on one interaction would be really, really hard. (And kudos to you for the canvassing.) In my case, these are people I've had prolonged interactions with over many years, and most of our interactions have been about subjects other than politics, which unite us. In the case of the person I mentioned "converting," she and I have known each other for many years because we both reached out to a support group for stepmothers. So we went through a number of years struggling with issues common to that "group." The political stuff started gradually, because I'm fairly vocal on Facebook. It used to be she would post Republican stuff (not the insane over-the-top Infowars crap, just conservative-leaning perspectives on things), and then I noticed for a while that she went quiet (around the time Trump got nominated). Then when he was elected, I saw her little by little liking or commenting on an occasional post of mine. When I saw that, I would try to engage her and affirm her thought process. And then she would start participating in discussions in our private Facebook group.

Lately, she has been very vocal about being outraged by many the Trump administration's actions, and I think this separating children from their families thing is what sent her over the edge. That's when I had a long conversation with her about this and said, "Democratic outrage isn't going to change this, because Trump's base loves to make liberals angry. The only thing that will really have an influence is if registered Republicans commit to voting straight-party Democrat in protest, and are VOCAL about it." She agreed, and she even called her congress critters to tell them what she was doing and why.

There is good work to be done, person by person. It isn't easy, but it can have an effect.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #962 on: June 21, 2018, 03:52:25 PM »
It's been an insanely busy month what with weddings and graduations and all, but:
Took my 9 year old with me to canvass for House candidate. Response was good.

Took my preschooler with me to a vigil for the stolen immigrant children.

Planning to write a letter to the editor on how outraged I am that these children have been separated and shipped to NY of all places, with no end in sight. And how upset I am at how few limits there are to ICE powers.

Over the years my husband and I have voted occasionally for Republican candidates at the local level, like  board of selectman, mayor, etc. Not doing that any more.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #964 on: June 23, 2018, 01:13:35 PM »
Over the past couple weeks, my work team has decided we will not collect immigration status data to report to our federal funding agency.

greengardens

• Stubble
« Reply #965 on: June 23, 2018, 02:36:15 PM »

I'd put myself in this camp, there are more of us than you think though maybe not as many as you'd hope. I changed my voter registration to "Independent" the day after the election. I was (am) so disgusted with the current Republican party and it seems to only grow each day. I don't know if I'd go as far to commit to voting straight democratic ticket - there are state level republicans that I admire, and major issues I disagree with dems on, but I'm definitely leaning that way at least at the federal level.

Back on topic: I've been contacting my MOCs all week asking them to fix the border situation, the EO the President signed isn't going to help anything. I've encouraged several friends to as well and think I've almost got my husband convinced to do so as well!

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #966 on: June 23, 2018, 10:54:45 PM »
I'm glad other people have had positive interactions with Republicans. On my end, apparently you have to be a "triggered libtard" to point out that defending putting children alone in concentration camps where they're being horribly abused, laughing about this, and trolling people, makes you not a nice person. (And yes, I did seriously just say "not a nice person" rather than "you're a fucking monster, dickweed. Shut the fuck up." Points? Or should I have gone for the latter?)

When that is the attitude on the other side, I'm really starting to hate people and to get rather pessimistic. I hate it. I've always been an optimist and now I'm like, "Yeah, I could totally see 45 starting nuclear war if Kim insulted his hair. Better come up with a plan, just in case." -_-

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #967 on: June 23, 2018, 11:37:08 PM »
I'm glad other people have had positive interactions with Republicans. On my end, apparently you have to be a "triggered libtard" to point out that defending putting children alone in concentration camps where they're being horribly abused, laughing about this, and trolling people, makes you not a nice person. (And yes, I did seriously just say "not a nice person" rather than "you're a fucking monster, dickweed. Shut the fuck up." Points? Or should I have gone for the latter?)

When that is the attitude on the other side, I'm really starting to hate people and to get rather pessimistic. I hate it. I've always been an optimist and now I'm like, "Yeah, I could totally see 45 starting nuclear war if Kim insulted his hair. Better come up with a plan, just in case." -_-

I feel you and I consider one of my "small daily acts of political resistance" to be NOT talking to people that don't share my values and beliefs already, like almost at all.  I know that retreating into our own bubbles is not what we are "supposed to be doing" nowadays and we are supposed to be trying hard to connect with other Americans (at least our side is, I don't think anyone is telling them they are supposed to be trying to interact with us).  But interacting successfully with those people is not one of my skills and I send love to those for whom it is and try to spend my time most effectively, using skills I do have, for the cause.  I consider it a big coup that I have gotten really good at clicking the "Thank you for your time. Have a nice day!" pre-written response in text-banking when I run into one of those horrors that goes off on one of their racist rants or some such.  Keeping my mouth shut is the most productive thing for our side that I can manage in those situations.

GrayGhost

• Bristles
« Reply #968 on: June 24, 2018, 12:36:06 AM »
As the story of family separations has developed, my conversations with friends and peers fall into one of two camps... there are the left leaning folks who have always been against POTUS who oppose the policy, and of those who lean right and support POTUS, the belief seems to be a combination of: we have to enforce our laws, illegal immigration is such an issue that we may have to use unpleasant techniques to enforce immigration laws, similar things have been done under previous administrations, and POTUS's detractors are not acting out of care for separated children because they failed to oppose other things that previous administrations have done. The first two points seem to be a matter of opinion and weighing various values, I have to do research to determine the truthfulness of the third point, and the fourth point, while strictly speaking not relevant to the topic at hand, does have a grain of truth to it... very hard to say that you care about the young victims of the Trump administration if you were pointedly silent about the young victims of the Obama administration's heavy-handed use of drones.

EricL

« Reply #969 on: June 24, 2018, 02:59:10 AM »
Uggh.  Immigration.  Yes, we have borders.  Yes, we have a right to enforce them.  But rethuglicans and libtartds conspired over 40 years ago to look the other way as Mexicans and Central Americans flooded the nation.  The libtards for a larger constituency; the rethuglicans for cheap, cheap labor.  Now not only have the horses left the barn but the hinges rusted off, the barn itself burned down, and there are weeds growing where it used to be.  There's no use closing the doors now!

The only useful solution is to make them citizens and tax them 'til they learn enough English to cope.  Building walls, separating children from parents, and all the rest of the frankly race baiting hysteria doesn't help the situation at all.  Though it does provide a perfectly useless tax expenditure.  And it really disturbs me ICE employs blatantly unconstitutional powers.  Like that won't have a spill over effect on actual American citizens. 

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #970 on: June 24, 2018, 08:46:08 AM »
The last episode of Revisionist History was really interesting, about how border enforcement became a Thing a few decades ago and how it unintentionally caused much worse effects (particularly from the view of border enforcers, but also from the view of compassionate humans). Definitely check it out to get another perspective and learn about our country's big picture approach to immigration over the last few decades.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #971 on: June 24, 2018, 10:04:53 AM »
Let's all get back on track to posting actions. Anyone who wants to continue the conversation can go to the discussion thread. (I need to respond to something there myself, and I have some questions about immigration history.)

As well, please do not refer to large groups of people in insulting terms. "Rethuglican, libtard, monsters." There are people on this forum, and in this thread, that you're insulting.

I am working to get in touch with a volunteer lawyer group, to see if they need data help. Whatever you may think about current immigration policy, it is a deep American value that everyone should have adequate legal representation. Look at Adams representing British soldiers after the Boston massacre.

I am also going to look for travel canvassing buddies to Barbara Comstock's district. The VA primaries are over, and this is one of the most flippable districts.

Unfortunately with my new job I can't do much Beto texting anymore. It requires occasional follow up during the following days, and the available hours are when I'm at work. But I helped my friend from the Ossoff campaign get a field organizer job with them, and he just started last week!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #972 on: June 24, 2018, 08:29:13 PM »
Voting now, which I guess is (along with a bunch of research) my act for today.

Question: just how progressive/liberal a gubernatorial candidate is electable in the general election in my very purple state? I actually like 3/4 candidates, although for different reasons (obviously).

(Full disclosure: my state's not really purple: if you look at a map that shows districts, we're deep blue urban areas and deep red rural areas.)

Nicholas Carter

• Stubble
« Reply #973 on: June 25, 2018, 10:11:30 AM »
Not to like, speak for the room or anything, but for me, personally?
  • Family Reunification numbers stay the same, or increase by less than 5%
  • The policy of putting the people who enter the us seeking asylum on what is basically bail is reinstated
  • The limit on refugee resettlement is set to where it was in 1980, about 3x what it is now
  • The waiting period for getting a work visa while your asylum request is being processed is dropped down to 21 days. Government assistance is made available for the first 42 days.
  • A skills based admission program is introduced, replacing the current jobs visa process. This program has the ability to grant an unlimited number of green cards. It is funded at a level to process up to three times as many work visas as it does now.
  • No other changes are introduced to the number of people currently allowed to legally immigrate.
This isn't my Christmas wish list for immigration. If we're talking about what I personally would do with a magic wand: Border control is socialism, and I'm just about the most pro-capitalist person I know. "Open borders" is just a scary way of saying "free market of labor". Criminal acts are exactly as much a justification for government intervention in the free movement of peoples as they are a justification for government intervention in the free movement of guns.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #974 on: June 25, 2018, 11:11:50 AM »
Watched EJ Hegar’s “doors” campaign ad (in Texas) and set up a monthly contribution, as I did previously with Amy McGrath in Kentucky.  They were combat pilots...won numerous medals, showed military leadership, married and had photogenic families...the very things that would have traditionally sent a white male to Congress.  But as women they had to fight like heck to get to fly.  If you haven't seen their ads, check them out!  My dad was an Air Force veteran and life long democrat....I wish he were here to see these women run for Congress.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #975 on: June 27, 2018, 12:03:00 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/27/politics/who-is-alexandria-ocasio-cortez/index.html

Congrats to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez!  She's set to become the youngest woman ever elected to Congress if she wins this fall.

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #976 on: June 27, 2018, 12:44:29 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/27/politics/who-is-alexandria-ocasio-cortez/index.html

Congrats to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez!  She's set to become the youngest woman ever elected to Congress ifwhen she wins this fall.
That is a deep blue district. She's a lock. It's pretty exciting. :)

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #977 on: June 27, 2018, 02:36:25 PM »
Congrats to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez!  She's set to become the youngest woman ever elected to Congress ifwhen she wins this fall.

Nobody is a lock. We need to fight for each one.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #978 on: June 27, 2018, 04:55:59 PM »

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #979 on: June 27, 2018, 05:45:47 PM »

Nobody is a lock. We need to fight for each one.

+1. Complacency lost the last election because who in their right mind would elect that asshole conman to the presidency? A lot of people, it turns out.

pbkmaine, thank you for sharing that. Wise words.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #980 on: June 27, 2018, 06:40:55 PM »
I went to pride, deeply ill. My friends made me stay in a Starbucks due to risk of collapse.

In the group behind me (3 young women, 1 slightly older) a flag and glitter enrobed young woman kept bitching to her companions that pride isn't political, people shouldn't make it political and it's for everyone, not just the dykes and fags, the older lady argued with her inefffectually, saying that pride is pride, and one younger one tried to speak up.

Eventually I turned and butted in, simply saying that when I was her age, I couldn't legally marry another woman, and that the reason I was in black, is because everyone in the village knew to warn each other about a possible serial killer. A serial killer who just got caught this year.

She shut the fuck up, her mother apologized.... and then it became clear that this young lady was 18, the other two were younger, and queer, and mama brought her daughter, daughter's girlfriend and an idiot other daughter to the big city for pride. I'm so glad the two youngest relaxed after that. And so glad they have a good mama

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #981 on: June 27, 2018, 07:15:14 PM »
I went to pride, deeply ill. My friends made me stay in a Starbucks due to risk of collapse.

In the group behind me (3 young women, 1 slightly older) a flag and glitter enrobed young woman kept bitching to her companions that pride isn't political, people shouldn't make it political and it's for everyone, not just the dykes and fags, the older lady argued with her inefffectually, saying that pride is pride, and one younger one tried to speak up.

Eventually I turned and butted in, simply saying that when I was her age, I couldn't legally marry another woman, and that the reason I was in black, is because everyone in the village knew to warn each other about a possible serial killer. A serial killer who just got caught this year.

She shut the fuck up, her mother apologized.... and then it became clear that this young lady was 18, the other two were younger, and queer, and mama brought her daughter, daughter's girlfriend and an idiot other daughter to the big city for pride. I'm so glad the two youngest relaxed after that. And so glad they have a good mama

I have a question, bisexual friendbeast. What are your thoughts on straight women frequenting lesbian bars?

Personally, I understand the motivation - a mixture of the exotic plus freedom from the vigilance of men+alcohol. Still, I find the assumption of unasked entry to be deeply presumptuous. Why should my space to relax and bond be one of the few safe spaces that's simply assumed to be open to the mainstream? White people don't assume welcome inside black safe spaces. Christians don't just cruise into Muslim safe spaces without invitation.   

Discussing these thoughts usually gets me called a troglodyte. Maybe you'll call me a troglodyte. Should that happen, I'll meekly shrug, and point out that eventually my type of attitudes will eventually fall to attrition as the more enlightened generation takes the reigns.

Nicholas Carter

• Stubble
« Reply #982 on: June 28, 2018, 05:25:25 AM »
I think it's a... fraught question.
Beginning with the needs of the community: Does opening up the environment do as much to normalize non-straight relationships as it does to expose the community to risk? Gay bars exist because it is not safe to be gay in a regular bar, so the goal (ISTM) is that all gay bars eventually become just regular bars, because it's safe to be gay everywhere. But we don't live in that reality. There are still bars where it's dangerous to be gay. So there still need to be bars where it is explicitly safe to be gay.
To be more philosophical for a moment: The justification offered by straight women when they come into gay spaces is that straight women aren't safe in straight spaces (or are less safe, at any rate). So now we have sort of an asylum issue on our hands: Do gay spaces have an obligation to be safe spaces for straight Muslims, because we're all in here hiding from the Baptists? Safe spaces for straight black men, because we're all in here hiding from the skin heads?  But what's the alternative, send the boats back to Germany?

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #983 on: June 28, 2018, 07:53:35 AM »

I have a question, bisexual friendbeast. What are your thoughts on straight women frequenting lesbian bars?

Personally, I understand the motivation - a mixture of the exotic plus freedom from the vigilance of men+alcohol. Still, I find the assumption of unasked entry to be deeply presumptuous. Why should my space to relax and bond be one of the few safe spaces that's simply assumed to be open to the mainstream? White people don't assume welcome inside black safe spaces. Christians don't just cruise into Muslim safe spaces without invitation.   

Discussing these thoughts usually gets me called a troglodyte. Maybe you'll call me a troglodyte. Should that happen, I'll meekly shrug, and point out that eventually my type of attitudes will eventually fall to attrition as the more enlightened generation takes the reigns.

It's the issue of intersectionality, yes?  We are living in a world where for several hundred years at least (personally I date it to white European men first circumnavigating the globe) the default human being is the white male heterosexual.  All of us who for one of more reasons aren't in that demographic  have to co-exist in the space that is left to us.   Because we don't have a fair share of the available human space, or the available human resources, we end up fighting among ourselves for whatever is left after the white male heterosexuals have taken more than their fair share.  We should all be fighting outwards but like rats in a trap it is far too easy for us to end up fighting each other.  And how can we be respectful of each other when white male heterosexuals are not respectful towards us?

[Insert expressions of hurt feelings of white male heterosexuals below.]

EricL

« Reply #984 on: June 28, 2018, 09:16:33 AM »

It's the issue of intersectionality, yes?  We are living in a world where for several hundred years at least (personally I date it to white European men first circumnavigating the globe) the default human being is the white male heterosexual.  All of us who for one of more reasons aren't in that demographic  have to co-exist in the space that is left to us.   Because we don't have a fair share of the available human space, or the available human resources, we end up fighting among ourselves for whatever is left after the white male heterosexuals have taken more than their fair share.  We should all be fighting outwards but like rats in a trap it is far too easy for us to end up fighting each other.  And how can we be respectful of each other when white male heterosexuals are not respectful towards us?

[Insert expressions of hurt feelings of white male heterosexuals below.]

Yes!  Because racism, sexism, hate, etc. only apply to the dominant group. But if you’re a minority it’s totally OK to treat people like shit based on a demographic. Preferred even!  If you’re not a white CIS male you should let that hate grow within you!  They’re all inferior anyways.  Less than human even if there are more of them. There are more cockroaches too, so there’s no virtue in numbers.  :p

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #985 on: June 28, 2018, 09:41:00 AM »
Y'all. Discussion thread, please. And positive engagement. No tarring large groups of people based on some quality out of their control.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #986 on: June 30, 2018, 07:43:30 AM »
Families Belong Together demonstration in The Villages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Physicsteacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #987 on: June 30, 2018, 07:48:18 AM »

Thank you for attending. Our local rally is this evening.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #988 on: June 30, 2018, 10:05:20 AM »

Thank you for attending. Our local rally is this evening.

Ditto!

Physicsteacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #989 on: July 01, 2018, 12:10:46 PM »
Now that Justice Kennedy is retiring Republicans in Arkansas's state legislature are proposing a ban on abortions with no exception for rape. I am horrified.  What actions should I take? So far I'm beginning to consider moving and talking to my gynecologic-oncologist about removing my uterus and remaining ovary, but that certainly doesn't improve the situation for anyone else.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #990 on: July 01, 2018, 12:21:14 PM »
@Physicsteacher Indivisible has laid out a strategy for holding the line on the Supreme Court here. Bottom line: call you Senators and do whatever you can to help flip the Senate this fall.

At the state level, you need reasonable legislators who respect women. I'm sure MJ can help you more specifically, but can you get involved in the election cycle in your local district?

craimund

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #991 on: July 01, 2018, 12:25:14 PM »
@Physicsteacher Indivisible has laid out a strategy for holding the line on the Supreme Court here. Bottom line: call you Senators and do whatever you can to help flip the Senate this fall.

At the state level, you need reasonable legislators who respect women. I'm sure MJ can help you more specifically, but can you get involved in the election cycle in your local district?

Dems are unlikely to flip the Senate.  In fact, they may lose one or more seats in MO, WV, ND, IN.  Even if they were to regain the Senate, it would be too late to influence the Supreme Court nominee to replace Kennedy.  This will be done by September.

Physicsteacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #992 on: July 01, 2018, 12:33:21 PM »

Dems are unlikely to flip the Senate.  In fact, they may lose one or more seats in MO, WV, ND, IN.  Even if they were to regain the Senate, it would be too late to influence the Supreme Court nominee to replace Kennedy.  This will be done by September.

If you do not wish to propose specific actions to resist this proposed legislation, please take this conversation to the political discussion thread.

craimund

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #993 on: July 01, 2018, 12:43:19 PM »

If you do not wish to propose specific actions to resist this proposed legislation, please take this conversation to the political discussion thread.

What legislation?  Discussion involved upcoming Senate elections and Supreme Court nominations.

Physicsteacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #994 on: July 01, 2018, 12:52:48 PM »

What legislation?  Discussion involved upcoming Senate elections and Supreme Court nominations.

See reply #1016 in this thread.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #995 on: July 01, 2018, 01:00:05 PM »
craimund is trolling his right wing antics in all the threads here.

craimund

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #996 on: July 01, 2018, 01:04:54 PM »
craimund is trolling his right wing antics in all the threads here.

Can't handle disagreement?

craimund

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #997 on: July 01, 2018, 01:08:22 PM »

Is the thread now limited to the legislation mentioned in that post?  If so, the title would appear to be inaccurate.  If you want a left-wing only forum, I guess that's OK but that should be made clear in the title.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #998 on: July 01, 2018, 01:10:41 PM »

Is the thread now limited to the legislation mentioned in that post?  If so, the title would appear to be inaccurate.  If you want a left-wing only forum, I guess that's OK but that should be made clear in the title.

This thread is about specific actions of political resistance. Please take your political discussion over to the discussion thread.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/small-daily-acts-of-political-discussion/

craimund

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #999 on: July 01, 2018, 01:17:17 PM »

This thread is about specific actions of political resistance. Please take your political discussion over to the discussion thread.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/small-daily-acts-of-political-discussion/

I'm resisting the Democrats attempts to retake the Senate and delay the Supreme Court nomination of Kennedy's replacement.  Is that not political resistance?