Author Topic: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance - VICTORY!  (Read 290826 times)

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
Re: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance
« Reply #900 on: April 11, 2018, 12:58:14 PM »
I'm going to be in Austin until the 22nd, doing some volunteering for Beto, but I won't be spending all my time on that. I can't register voters, but if anyone knows a local who may want to meet up and work on something together, please PM me.

Although, @formerlydivorcedmom , I'm guessing you're not in Austin if an imam running for school board is controversial.

I lived in Austin for years, but now I'm in the Houston metro area.  Smack in the middle of solid-red suburbia ....at least until people start turning up at the polls.  I think Beto is the best candidate Democrats have run in this state since Anne Richards.  He'd better win - every time I have to call Ted Cruz's office my blood pressure goes up.

You might reach out to Battleground Texas, the Texas Organizing Project (TOP), one of the Austin-area Indivisible groups or Pantsuit Republic Austin for other opportunities.  Chances are someone else helping with the Beto campaign will know how to get you hooked up with some of that.  (I can add you to the main PSR Texas Facebook group if you PM me your details, but I'm not in the Austin-area ones.)

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #901 on: April 11, 2018, 04:18:33 PM »
I'm going to be in Austin until the 22nd, doing some volunteering for Beto, but I won't be spending all my time on that. I can't register voters, but if anyone knows a local who may want to meet up and work on something together, please PM me.

Although, @formerlydivorcedmom , I'm guessing you're not in Austin if an imam running for school board is controversial.

I lived in Austin for years, but now I'm in the Houston metro area.  Smack in the middle of solid-red suburbia ....at least until people start turning up at the polls.  I think Beto is the best candidate Democrats have run in this state since Anne Richards.  He'd better win - every time I have to call Ted Cruz's office my blood pressure goes up.

You might reach out to Battleground Texas, the Texas Organizing Project (TOP), one of the Austin-area Indivisible groups or Pantsuit Republic Austin for other opportunities.  Chances are someone else helping with the Beto campaign will know how to get you hooked up with some of that.  (I can add you to the main PSR Texas Facebook group if you PM me your details, but I'm not in the Austin-area ones.)

Thanks! I will check out some of those groups and PM you if I want the FB invite.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #902 on: April 23, 2018, 05:21:22 PM »
Build the Wave is running GOTV text banks for Hiral Tiperneni in Arizona. The special election is tomorrow. I cannot do it tonight since I will be internet-less on a plane bound for DC. Someone please take my place!

www.TextTheVote.com

Trump won the district by 21 points but polling is within the margin of error. This is going to close!

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #903 on: April 24, 2018, 10:10:58 AM »
I'm doing that ^ right now - first time text banking. It's a nice-looking site and very easy to use!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #904 on: April 24, 2018, 09:25:52 PM »
Helped tip the NY state senate blue! ... or would have if it weren't for Simcha Felder!!

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #905 on: April 24, 2018, 09:57:40 PM »
I had an interview today with a DC company. I'm optimistic about my chances, and the interviewer even stepped outside her official role to offer help finding a job on a specific campaign if I wanted it.

I'm doing that ^ right now - first time text banking. It's a nice-looking site and very easy to use!

Awesome! My friend helped create it, and a ton of people have used it for this and other elections like PA-18. For people who are intimidated by or tired of making phone calls, it's a great option. Beto O'Rourke also has a great texting program.

Lesko won (or is 99% projected to win) by less than 6%. This is in line with many predictions - close race that in a normal year would be no contest, big Democratic over-performance, and a really, really bad sign for Republicans.

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/988981303260442625

Helped tip the NY state senate blue! ... or would have if it weren't for Simcha Felder!!

Yessss! Congrats! I know a lot of people who canvassed there. At least now we can focus the heat on Felder and flipping another seat blue if he doesn't switch his caucus. The IDC is such a confusing concept to explain, and it drained a lot of energy. IDC challenges are still going on, of course, and I think it's worthwhile to support that. You never know who might backtrack, but if they get defeated at the polls, it will prevent this kind of breakaway group in the future.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #906 on: April 25, 2018, 08:11:48 AM »
I had an interview today with a DC company. I'm optimistic about my chances, and the interviewer even stepped outside her official role to offer help finding a job on a specific campaign if I wanted it.
Good luck!!

Yessss! Congrats! I know a lot of people who canvassed there. At least now we can focus the heat on Felder and flipping another seat blue if he doesn't switch his caucus. The IDC is such a confusing concept to explain, and it drained a lot of energy. IDC challenges are still going on, of course, and I think it's worthwhile to support that. You never know who might backtrack, but if they get defeated at the polls, it will prevent this kind of breakaway group in the future.

Can you believe that Felder ran unopposed in 2016 as both a Democrat and a Republican??
https://ballotpedia.org/New_York_State_Senate_District_17

Anyway, he now has a challenger, Blake Morris. Don't know much about him, but he deserves a second look and a donation just for stepping up to the plate. https://www.blakemorrisforstatesenate.com/.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #907 on: April 25, 2018, 10:57:40 AM »
Today, I'm working on planning a text banking program for Promote the Vote (https://promotethevotemi.com/) - Promote the Vote is a ballot measure in Michigan to expand voting accessibility and they need to finish gathering signatures by early July.  That and their other ballot measure to establish an independent redistricting commission would be so helpful there.  My Sister District Project group in CA will be working in MI this year, so beyond just supporting candidates, we're trying to find other ways to help, and have already started phone banking and raising money for Promote the Vote.  They don't have a text banking program yet, though, soooooo....I guess that means, given my experience text banking and that I've been training recently to learn how to run them myself...that I am going to create the text banking program for this.  To raise awareness and get more signatures so it can get on the ballot.

I'm actually really interested in the independent redistricting commission ballot measure.  I think the commission proposal is a lot like ours in CA, which has been very good, and MI is one of the worst gerrymandered states (top 2 or 3 now that PA had their map redrawn, I think), so it could make a huge difference there.  In a state where Dems have a something like 13% registration advantage, they shouldn't be a Republican trifecta state!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #908 on: April 25, 2018, 12:27:12 PM »
Today, I'm working on planning a text banking program for Promote the Vote (https://promotethevotemi.com/) - Promote the Vote is a ballot measure in Michigan to expand voting accessibility and they need to finish gathering signatures by early July.  That and their other ballot measure to establish an independent redistricting commission would be so helpful there.  My Sister District Project group in CA will be working in MI this year, so beyond just supporting candidates, we're trying to find other ways to help, and have already started phone banking and raising money for Promote the Vote.  They don't have a text banking program yet, though, soooooo....I guess that means, given my experience text banking and that I've been training recently to learn how to run them myself...that I am going to create the text banking program for this.  To raise awareness and get more signatures so it can get on the ballot.

I'm actually really interested in the independent redistricting commission ballot measure.  I think the commission proposal is a lot like ours in CA, which has been very good, and MI is one of the worst gerrymandered states (top 2 or 3 now that PA had their map redrawn, I think), so it could make a huge difference there.  In a state where Dems have a something like 13% registration advantage, they shouldn't be a Republican trifecta state!

Thank you! I work with my local League of Women Voters here in MI and while I haven't been able to get out to collect signatures for Promote the Vote (my extra time/energy went to our recent voter registration drive for local high school seniors), several of our members are very active. I also have several friends who collected signatures for Voters Not Politicians, another grassroots initiative that started collecting signatures and will have an anti-gerrymandering proposal (independent commission) on the ballot this fall. MI voters are getting very fed up. Hopefully that leads to good poll turnouts and actual change.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #909 on: April 25, 2018, 12:41:34 PM »

Thank you! I work with my local League of Women Voters here in MI and while I haven't been able to get out to collect signatures for Promote the Vote (my extra time/energy went to our recent voter registration drive for local high school seniors), several of our members are very active. I also have several friends who collected signatures for Voters Not Politicians, another grassroots initiative that started collecting signatures and will have an anti-gerrymandering proposal (independent commission) on the ballot this fall. MI voters are getting very fed up. Hopefully that leads to good poll turnouts and actual change.

Yay!  Love the work LWV does and so excited for the independent commission ballot measure. 

Sister District Project is calling MI a "Democratic Inroads" state - i.e. we need to make inroads there, but the Republicans have such an advantage (including such a strong majority of seats in the legislature) that they predict it will take a long time to flip the state legislature.  But the independent commission would be a big help AND if MI voters are fed up enough, it might look like the wave in AZ-08 last night, with some huge swings.  I'm very excited to see what happens in your state!

What are your thoughts on the Governor's race right now?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #910 on: April 25, 2018, 02:24:39 PM »
What are your thoughts on the Governor's race right now?

It's starting to get ugly, as expected. This week, we're getting the expected blathering about "Sharia law" from a far-right candidate because one of the Democrat candidates is a Muslim (I'm from the Dearborn area, so my response to such nonsense is along the lines of "ignorant idiot" but less charitable and more colorful). At this point, there are so many candidates in the primary races that I can't predict who will make it through in August.

Given my role in the local League, I have to be careful what I say about partisan races, but the GOP supermajority in Lansing has done very, very few favors for the vast majority of MI residents and in several instances has actually ignored the will of the constituents in favor of corporate politics (see the recent Nestle water debacle, the sorry state of the public schools, the right-to-work situation). I sincerely hope MI voters will remember this in November.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #911 on: May 03, 2018, 03:54:51 PM »
At this point in Michigan it is looking like Gretchen Whitmer will probably win the primary.
I personally am excited about Dana Nessel as the Democratic candidate for Attorney General, she's very gay friendly, a good public speaker, smart, and seems like a high energy go-getter.

The incompetence of the Snyder administration's response to the self-made water crisis in Flint must have not only hurt the residents of Flint, but also hurt tourist areas around the state, as potentially people might be concerned about lead in the water generally in Michigan. The water crisis certainly hurt the "Pure Michigan" ad campaign that tries to promote tourism in which Michigan appears to abound in great natural beauty.

TornWonder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #912 on: May 04, 2018, 11:08:53 AM »
I live in a defacto sanctuary city, so I've been sending in names and numbers to ICE.  Viva la resistance!

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #913 on: May 04, 2018, 11:14:51 AM »
I live in a defacto sanctuary city, so I've been sending in names and numbers to ICE.  Viva la resistance!

You're a POS.

[MOD NOTE: Forum Rule #1]
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 11:30:02 AM by FrugalToque »

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #914 on: May 04, 2018, 12:38:30 PM »
Thanks!!
I bought a signed poster from the political artist Sabo.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #915 on: May 04, 2018, 12:42:59 PM »

Names and numbers of people whose documentation you've actually seen?

Or are you just profiling because you're pretty sure people who have certain physical characteristics/first languages can't possibly be legal?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #916 on: May 04, 2018, 01:26:12 PM »

Or are you just profiling because you're pretty sure people who have certain physical characteristics/first languages can't possibly be legal?

I would also like to know the answer to this.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #917 on: May 04, 2018, 01:39:18 PM »
Tornwonder and acroy, please start your own thread if you want to discuss pro-Trump actions you are taking. Thank you.

Everyone, we've kept a political thread polite and positive for almost twenty pages. Let's keep that amazing record going.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #918 on: May 04, 2018, 01:41:04 PM »
Tornwonder and acroy, please start your own thread if you want to discuss pro-Trump actions you are taking. Thank you.

Everyone, we've kept a political thread polite and positive for almost twenty pages. Let's keep that amazing record going.

They are just trolling. They are typically treated a such. Sabo is a very well known racist and even claimed it was "cool" that ISIS beheaded a journalist. One sick dude.

TornWonder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #919 on: May 07, 2018, 10:42:24 AM »

Through our hiring process at my side gig is the main way I run into these people.  I don't profile people, in fact the majority of people I have reported are Caucasian.

jordanread

« Reply #920 on: May 07, 2018, 04:42:56 PM »

Through our hiring process at my side gig is the main way I run into these people.  I don't profile people, in fact the majority of people I have reported are Caucasian.

Thanks for answering the question. I have some additional questions for you, if you don't mind answering. Since I am sure that you have read the initial posts on this thread and are now aware that this particular thread is for actual acts people take resisting the current administration, I'd really like to hear your well thought out replies in the sister thread for political discussion.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #921 on: May 10, 2018, 07:24:28 AM »
I voted in my primary on Tuesday.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #922 on: May 13, 2018, 08:32:33 AM »
I voted in my primary on Tuesday.

nice!

I voted in my primary - mailed in my ballot last week.

Yeah us!

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #923 on: May 15, 2018, 12:28:31 PM »
I wrote my Senators in support of Net Neutrality yesterday and today. The Senate is scheduled to vote on restoring Net Neutrality rules tomorrow. Several Senators have not publicized their choice of vote. The vote is expected to be very, very close and will impact freedom of information on the 'net for years to come.

For more information, the Electronic Frontier Foundation is the go-to source.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #924 on: May 15, 2018, 12:37:29 PM »
Hrmmmm. PTF.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #925 on: May 21, 2018, 05:53:31 AM »
The grocery store chain Publix has come under fire for supporting a Republican candidate Adam Putnam for Florida governor. They clarified that they did not financially support the NRA, but Putnam has tweeted that he's a "proud NRA sellout".

This past weekend we got our groceries somewhere else. Normally we're at a Publix three times a week since they're also a convenient lunch option. It's going to be awkward for a bit while we figure out shopping at a new grocery store and what other easy lunch options we can do, but all well. I don't have Twitter so I may look for a phone number later to call Publix to let them know they've lost a decades-long customer.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 06:10:48 PM by meerkat »

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #926 on: May 21, 2018, 02:43:49 PM »
The grocery store chain Publix has for supporting a Republican candidate Adam Putnam for Florida governor. They clarified that they did not financially support the NRA, but Putnam has tweeted that he's a [url=http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/fl-reg-adam-putnam-governor-forum-club-20180427-story.html]"proud NRA sellout".

This past weekend we got our groceries somewhere else. Normally we're at a Publix three times a week since they're also a convenient lunch option. It's going to be awkward for a bit while we figure out shopping at a new grocery store and what other easy lunch options we can do, but all well. I don't have Twitter so I may look for a phone number later to call Publix to let them know they've lost a decades-long customer.

well done. yeah - i'd call them. Let them know they've lost a 3x per week decades-long customer.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #927 on: May 22, 2018, 08:35:14 AM »
I called 800-242-1227 and dialed 4 as a customer calling in to talk to a rep, then I spoke to someone who routed me to someone else when I said I was calling in about the Adam Putnam issue. The person I left a message with did confirm that the calls are being documented. I asked if she knew how much had also been contributed to Democratic or other candidates but she didn't have that information (which I expected, but thought it was good to ask anyway).

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #928 on: May 22, 2018, 11:06:12 AM »
I called 800-242-1227 and dialed 4 as a customer calling in to talk to a rep, then I spoke to someone who routed me to someone else when I said I was calling in about the Adam Putnam issue. The person I left a message with did confirm that the calls are being documented. I asked if she knew how much had also been contributed to Democratic or other candidates but she didn't have that information (which I expected, but thought it was good to ask anyway).
Nicely done!  I find it hard to make calls and to push a little like that, but it's important and really makes a point! 

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #929 on: May 22, 2018, 01:33:02 PM »
Called the members of the NYS Senate Judiciary Committee, who are scheduled to vote today on whether S7133A, the Extreme Risk Protection Orders (“ERPO”) bill, should be brought to the floor for a vote. Most likely they will bury it again, but this lets them know that they are being watched.

Physicsteacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #930 on: May 23, 2018, 01:12:39 PM »
Yesterday I voted in my primary. Today I made a donation to a campaign and signed up for phone banking and door to door canvassing. Back in 2016, the only candidates for this U.S. House seat were the Republican incumbent and a Libertarian, so I want to do what I can to promote a candidate I genuinely would like to see in office, even if his chances are slim.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #931 on: May 23, 2018, 07:45:28 PM »
I voted in the primary runoff yesterday as well. I took my kiddo with me and let him push the "cast ballot" button. Then we had a breakfast picnic at the park before I dropped him off at school. And my candidate won the primary! Go Lupe Valdez! I doubt she'll beat Abbott in the general election, but I'm pleased she won the primary.

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #932 on: June 02, 2018, 06:41:15 AM »
If you're going to "vote with your dollar" and stop shopping somewhere or buying a product, please please please let that company know that you have done so, and why.  Don't be a jerk about it, but they need to know otherwise that dollar just disappears and they lump that in with all the other dollars they gain or lose.  Set yours apart.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #933 on: June 06, 2018, 02:20:46 PM »
Great job on the primaries BZB and Physicsteacher! 

I called my senators and let them know that isolating and locking up the children of asylum seekers and illegal immigrants is unacceptable. Even the children of people in prison are not jailed themselves.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #934 on: June 06, 2018, 10:48:01 PM »
Well, this was pretty small, but I had a long call with T Mobile today about charging me for a call to American Samoa because "international calls" are not covered on my plan.  They ended up crediting me the charge, though still saying they would charge me in the future.  I told them that it's inaccurate and deceptive to market a plan that includes calling throughout the US, or domestic, and to cut out parts of the country, and I hoped they'd be more accurate and truthful in the future.  I know this seems really indirect as an act of Resistance, but with the hurricane in Puerto Rico and how poorly they've been treated and so many people not knowing or purposely trying to carve Puerto Ricans out into "outsiders" they don't have to care as much about, I'm not going to put up with people or corporations mislabeling our fellow Americans.  It was extra salient, in fact, because the reason I was calling American Samoa was to talk to a client about her appeal to FEMA for disaster relief since our fellow Americans suffered a lot of damage in from Tropical Storm/Cyclone/Hurricane Gita in February.  I would have been reimbursed by my firm for the cost, but it's the principle of the thing.  People (and corporations) need to know that we know Puerto Rico and American Samoa are part of the US and they need to not rely on lack of education and subliminal racism to get away with inaccurate marketing.

More directly on point, I participated in not one but two text-banking conference calls today with orgs that have big plans for outreach to voters through the midterms and beyond, including gathering data that will be critical to determine the ROI of this new(ish) technology.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 10:50:02 PM by sui generis »

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #935 on: June 07, 2018, 12:07:38 AM »
Nice job everyone! If there's anyone following this thread who wants to help out in the midterms but doesn't know how, speak up! We can brainstorm and recommend options. There are races everywhere and at all levels, not just federal, and they can use a variety of skills and volunteer activities. Calling, texting, door-knocking, data entry, food donations, etc. You may not be up for a day of canvassing, but maybe you can print out materials or help in a field office for a couple hours. I always find it fun to hang out with the campaign staff and other volunteers. Very cool, inspiring vibe.

My big move: I got a job! I wanted to be a world-class couch-surfer in FIRE, but instead I started working in the political realm. My day job will have a direct, positive impact on the midterms and beyond. I'm also planning to donate much of my salary to charitable and political causes, since I don't need the money.

Smaller, but still important move: This weekend I will be volunteering with a sexual health org at the DC Pride Parade. "Condom Orientation" is on the official agenda. That makes me giggle. Maybe I am not mature enough for this...

[SAPPINESS ALERT]

I'm so happy that this thread is still going, eighteen months and a thousand posts in. Y'all are awesome. Some people are dismissive of small, sustainable actions, but everything adds up. They can also be a stepping stone to larger things, as you gain knowledge and make connections with other passionate people. I am seeing many of my volunteer buddies go on to run for local office or get jobs on campaigns, putting their expected career path on hold or abandoning it completely. There are friends taking a semester off from law school so they can work for Beto O'Rourke, or taking a sabbatical so they can devote more time to unpaid activism. People who now give speeches at events and are featured on TV because a year ago they decided to devote their weekends to a cause.

Two years ago, I could not have predicted that I'd have a network of campaign friends across the country, a grassroots advocacy group to my name, and a sweet job with bean bag chairs and free ice cream, but here I am.

This thread was one of the first steps I took after the election to do something. Even if it didn't go anywhere, I felt like I had to try whatever I could. So thanks to everyone who has contributed and is doing their part to make a difference!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #936 on: June 07, 2018, 08:53:38 AM »
Wrote to my representative about net neutrality, and tied my concern to my small business and the limited rural broadband I have - that should push two of the Republican buttons the rep seems to have had installed at birth.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #937 on: June 07, 2018, 09:19:25 AM »
Wrote to my representative about net neutrality, and tied my concern to my small business and the limited rural broadband I have - that should push two of the Republican buttons the rep seems to have had installed at birth.

You didn't stick a Franklin in there did you? Then you'd have the holy trinity.

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #938 on: June 07, 2018, 10:14:47 AM »
I canvassed for my friend who is running for a role in the local democratic party this past weekend - a fun couple hours of knocking doors and telling people what the race at the very bottom of the ballot actually is. :)

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #939 on: June 08, 2018, 03:18:38 AM »
Nice job everyone! If there's anyone following this thread who wants to help out in the midterms but doesn't know how, speak up! We can brainstorm and recommend options. There are races everywhere and at all levels, not just federal, and they can use a variety of skills and volunteer activities. Calling, texting, door-knocking, data entry, food donations, etc. You may not be up for a day of canvassing, but maybe you can print out materials or help in a field office for a couple hours. I always find it fun to hang out with the campaign staff and other volunteers. Very cool, inspiring vibe.
What can I do? I'll be in the OC from July 11-16.  I'll be in San Joser area July 16-25 or so. Then Seattle area after that.

My big move: I got a job! I wanted to be a world-class couch-surfer in FIRE, but instead I started working in the political realm. My day job will have a direct, positive impact on the midterms and beyond. I'm also planning to donate much of my salary to charitable and political causes, since I don't need the money.

Smaller, but still important move: This weekend I will be volunteering with a sexual health org at the DC Pride Parade. "Condom Orientation" is on the official agenda. That makes me giggle. Maybe I am not mature enough for this...

ah YISSS!

[SAPPINESS ALERT]

I'm so happy that this thread is still going, eighteen months and a thousand posts in. Y'all are awesome. Some people are dismissive of small, sustainable actions, but everything adds up. They can also be a stepping stone to larger things, as you gain knowledge and make connections with other passionate people. I am seeing many of my volunteer buddies go on to run for local office or get jobs on campaigns, putting their expected career path on hold or abandoning it completely. There are friends taking a semester off from law school so they can work for Beto O'Rourke, or taking a sabbatical so they can devote more time to unpaid activism. People who now give speeches at events and are featured on TV because a year ago they decided to devote their weekends to a cause.

Two years ago, I could not have predicted that I'd have a network of campaign friends across the country, a grassroots advocacy group to my name, and a sweet job with bean bag chairs and free ice cream, but here I am.

This thread was one of the first steps I took after the election to do something. Even if it didn't go anywhere, I felt like I had to try whatever I could. So thanks to everyone who has contributed and is doing their part to make a difference!
you n me both, kiddo.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #940 on: June 11, 2018, 06:29:30 PM »
Registered a voter!  I've started keeping two registration cards in my car and in my bag, on the off chance they might be needed.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #941 on: June 11, 2018, 09:29:19 PM »
Registered a voter!  I've started keeping two registration cards in my car and in my bag, on the off chance they might be needed.

Yay! I love registering voters.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #942 on: June 17, 2018, 02:22:46 PM »
[SAPPINESS ALERT].... See MJ.. you Do have feelings..;)

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #943 on: June 17, 2018, 11:19:29 PM »
I contacted all sort of legislators about the wanton cruelty this administration is heaping on immigrant families by separating children from their parents. Fuck them all for letting that happen.

This was a fascinating read. It helps to explain why so many of the things Republicans say they want (like small government) don't actually matter when they get into power.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #944 on: June 18, 2018, 01:23:37 PM »
Instead of just getting upset and yelling at the radio in the car when I listen to the news about families being separated at the boarder, I found this Slate article helpful: How You Can Fight Family Separation at the Border.

I also donated to one of the groups mentioned in the article, Kids In Need of Defense, who are working to make sure no child appears in immigration court alone without representation.

I've also called my government reps and will call again to the two who had wishy-washy responses.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #945 on: June 18, 2018, 03:16:35 PM »
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/06/dem-lawmaker-met-8-month-old-immigrant-child-whos-separated-parents-weeks/

Dem lawmaker: I met an 8-month old immigrant child who’s been separated from his parents for weeks

This is every bit as bad as the travel ban last year, perhaps even worse.  Time to start joining protests if you can.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/06/how-you-can-fight-family-separation-at-the-border.html

^This has a long list of organizations that are fighting the family separation policy.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #946 on: June 18, 2018, 04:17:17 PM »
Instead of just getting upset and yelling at the radio in the car when I listen to the news about families being separated at the boarder, I found this Slate article helpful: How You Can Fight Family Separation at the Border.

I also donated to one of the groups mentioned in the article, Kids In Need of Defense, who are working to make sure no child appears in immigration court alone without representation.

I've also called my government reps and will call again to the two who had wishy-washy responses.

Thank you. Both of my state senators are strongly opposed to family separation. Unfortunately, thanks to our GOP-supermajority state government, my federal house district (reliably Democrat) has not had representation for more than 6 months (Rep. governor decided that it wasn't important to hold a special election). It's incredibly frustrating.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #947 on: June 18, 2018, 08:40:00 PM »

Thank you. Both of my state senators are strongly opposed to family separation. Unfortunately, thanks to our GOP-supermajority state government, my federal house district (reliably Democrat) has not had representation for more than 6 months (Rep. governor decided that it wasn't important to hold a special election). It's incredibly frustrating.

Have you called them to yell about the fact that there can be no representative democracy without representation? Kick up a huuuuge fuss over this! Get media attention! That is absolutely not okay behavior, I don't care which way a district leans.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #948 on: June 18, 2018, 09:39:32 PM »

Have you called them to yell about the fact that there can be no representative democracy without representation? Kick up a huuuuge fuss over this! Get media attention! That is absolutely not okay behavior, I don't care which way a district leans.

I work with the local League of Women Voters and yes, we've made our displeasure known. There's been plenty of media coverage. The heavily gerrymandered state government doesn't care.

This week, I'm working on League voter guides for our upcoming primaries in August. We'll get to select an interim rep. for our district then, as well as the candidate for the November ballot. We'll have five candidates on the August ballot for the partial term and six for the full-term. I love elections.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #949 on: June 19, 2018, 07:42:36 AM »
This is every bit as bad as the travel ban last year, perhaps even worse.  Time to start joining protests if you can.

https://www.familiesbelongtogether.org/

June 30th is the date for the protests.  Sign up here to find a protest in your area (or start your own) - https://act.moveon.org/survey/June_30_Pledge/

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!