Author Topic: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance - VICTORY!  (Read 290815 times)

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
Re: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance
« Reply #850 on: December 14, 2017, 05:28:44 AM »
Fought for net neutrality.  http://battleforthenet.com , http://aclu.org/netneutrality , or text ‘RESIST’ to 50409

Thanks for the reminder. I called earlier this week and left personal messages (instead of the usual "Please vote this way kthxbai" phone call I had been doing) but I need to do it again today.

EricL

« Reply #851 on: January 05, 2018, 02:52:03 PM »
I think 2018 will be the year the Democrats take back Congress and reverse this pro-oligarchy insanity.  I'd like them to impeach President Trump too.  It seems the most effective way to assist is to bankroll progressive organizations.  Which, in the opinion of the boards, provide the most bang for the buck and why? 

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #852 on: January 06, 2018, 09:08:49 AM »
I think 2018 will be the year the Democrats take back Congress and reverse this pro-oligarchy insanity.  I'd like them to impeach President Trump too.  It seems the most effective way to assist is to bankroll progressive organizations.  Which, in the opinion of the boards, provide the most bang for the buck and why?

Still researching, but Swing Left is targeting House seats I believe. Flippable is targeting state races.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #853 on: January 07, 2018, 07:00:22 AM »
As Paul Krugman stated in his latest column, "Massive electoral defeat – massive enough to overwhelm gerrymandering and other structural advantages of the right – is the only way out."  Faust on the Potomac   https://nyti.ms/2EchHVA

The get out the vote effort will be crucial.

jordanread

« Reply #854 on: January 07, 2018, 08:03:21 AM »
Don't forget to see where your elected officials stand on H.R. 1227

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #855 on: January 24, 2018, 10:39:16 AM »
I got in touch with my local Indivisible group and got added to the volunteer list for Get Out The Vote efforts.  The midterms are coming, the midterms are coming!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #856 on: January 24, 2018, 11:16:05 AM »
Here's a screenshot of the front page of Beto O'Rourke's website. Mr. O'Rourke is a democrat running against lizard-demon 100%-human(not) Ted Cruz.

What does the front page of his website say to you?

To me, it's saying that Texas deserves better than the guy in the picture - Beto O'Rourke.

So, I posted this mild observation over on reddit/r/betoORourke, and messaged the subreddit mods to see if they could get the message to the Beto O'Rourke web team:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BetoORourke/comments/7souoc/can_someone_notify_the_beto_orourke_web_designer/

Seriously, WTF is up with democrats and being shit at messaging?  When HRC was running, her front page was plastered with dozens of instances of her opponent's name. Gah.

Not that a campaign's website is the lynch-pin for success. But it should at least be somewhat inspiring. Like, give one statement as to what people are voting for when they vote for you.  "Campaign finance reform." or "Cut greenhouse gas emissions", etc.

Anyhoo - that's the small thing I did today. We'll see if they change the messaging.

And just a reminder:

"Ted Cruz is only one being and not several."

- Guy Manderson
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 11:22:13 AM by Malaysia41 »

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #857 on: January 24, 2018, 11:27:06 AM »
Should be "The Better That Texas Deserves" :P

We're having a fun rant session in my journal about Democratic messaging. It should not be hard to accurately convey that you are better than the alternate!

I got in touch with my local Indivisible group and got added to the volunteer list for Get Out The Vote efforts.  The midterms are coming, the midterms are coming!

Whoo!

I never posted it here, but I was in Birmingham canvassing for Doug Jones! That was the absolute best victory party I've ever been to. Holy poop. I'm looking into opportunities to go to Pennsylvania for Conor Lamb. I know New Yorkers who want to make the trip.

I also had a 2018 planning meeting last night with my main Indivisible group. Since I may not return to NYC, I'm handing leadership over to a dedicated board. It can be difficult to get other people to take on more responsibility, so I'm thrilled that the group is going to keep functioning and improving while I'm away!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #858 on: January 24, 2018, 11:33:33 AM »
Should be "The Better That Texas Deserves" :P

We're having a fun rant session in my journal about Democratic messaging. It should not be hard to accurately convey that you are better than the alternate!

Whoo!

I never posted it here, but I was in Birmingham canvassing for Doug Jones! That was the absolute best victory party I've ever been to. Holy poop. I'm looking into opportunities to go to Pennsylvania for Conor Lamb. I know New Yorkers who want to make the trip.

I also had a 2018 planning meeting last night with my main Indivisible group. Since I may not return to NYC, I'm handing leadership over to a dedicated board. It can be difficult to get other people to take on more responsibility, so I'm thrilled that the group is going to keep functioning and improving while I'm away!

Okay, I'm heading over to your journal, MJ.

If you guys have reddit accounts, go over to reddit/r/betoorourke and updoot my post. :)

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #859 on: January 24, 2018, 08:22:01 PM »
I never posted it here, but I was in Birmingham canvassing for Doug Jones! That was the absolute best victory party I've ever been to. Holy poop.

What a crucial victory that was.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #860 on: January 25, 2018, 08:14:59 AM »
How about: "Beto: the Better Bet"?

Wow MJ, are you moving to a swing state??  We in the rest of NYS will be working on the state senate elections and taking down the IDC for now. 

Small but important action: Because of this bogus "School Choice Week" (DeVos and Koch Bros propaganda intent on redirecting tax money to for-profit educational companies), I wrote a letter to Cuomo detailing why I think that public funds are best used on public schools, creating more openness and flexibility within the public school systems in a way that will encourage parents to work on improving their local schools together rather than self-segregating.
https://actionnetwork.org/letters/tell-your-governor-the-best-choice-is-a-strong-public-school-system
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 02:36:18 PM by Poundwise »

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #861 on: January 25, 2018, 02:29:46 PM »
How about: "Beto: the Better Bet"?

Wow MJ, are you moving to a swing state??  We in the rest of NYS will be working on the state senate elections and taking down the IDC for now. 

Small but important option: Because of this bogus "School Choice Week" (DeVos and Koch Bros propaganda intent on redirecting tax money to for-profit schooling), I wrote a letter to Cuomo detailing why I think that public funds are best used on public schools, creating more openness and flexibility within the public school systems in a way that will encourage parents to work on improving their local schools together rather than self-segregating.
thttps://actionnetwork.org/letters/tell-your-governor-the-best-choice-is-a-strong-public-school-system

The Better Bet works... better. The reddit post also has some good suggestions.

Yes, I am probably moving to a swing state! I'm applying to positions with a couple political advocacy orgs. One would be based in DC, but if I get a remote position, I'm leaning strongly toward Georgia, which would be great for personal reasons. It doesn't have a Senate seat up in 2018, although there's work needed on the governor's race and the house of representatives. It would also be key in 2020.

Thanks for the School Choice Week note, I sent Cuomo an email about it.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #862 on: March 13, 2018, 12:34:21 PM »
Phonebanked for Conor Lamb in Pennsylvania. Vote is today!!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #863 on: March 13, 2018, 12:38:23 PM »

Well done.

edit: wait - he's running for a seat that won't exist in November.  ????
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 12:40:04 PM by Malaysia41 »

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #864 on: March 13, 2018, 12:45:14 PM »

Well done.

Republicans have spent $9 million there, yes.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #865 on: March 13, 2018, 01:21:10 PM »

Well done.

Republicans have spent $9 million there, yes.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/03/13/us/elections/results-pennsylvania-house-special-election.html

Oh good - there's a libertarian on the ticket.  They may pull a few votes from the R.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #866 on: March 13, 2018, 02:32:28 PM »
I was in PA-18 canvassing for Conor Lamb. Unfortunately I had a terrible experience, so I didn't stay through election day. I have been text-banking since coming home and I've helped other people get phone banks set up. I maaay also go to a DC job fair this Friday. And a progressive data conference in NY on Saturday. This week is going to be busier than I thought.

The districts will be redrawn, but whoever wins this will have a big advantage going into their next race. Better access to fundraising, more name recognition, etc.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #867 on: March 13, 2018, 02:47:25 PM »
I was in PA-18 canvassing for Conor Lamb. Unfortunately I had a terrible experience, so I didn't stay through election day.

So sorry to hear that!

I have been text-banking since coming home and I've helped other people get phone banks set up. I maaay also go to a DC job fair this Friday. And a progressive data conference in NY on Saturday. This week is going to be busier than I thought.

The districts will be redrawn, but whoever wins this will have a big advantage going into their next race. Better access to fundraising, more name recognition, etc.
So true... we have our own special election coming up and this will all have to be redone in November! But every month, and every seat, counts. 

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #869 on: March 14, 2018, 08:57:58 AM »
I've been donating a portion of my self-imposed carbon taxes (rate = $30 a ton emissions) to political candidates:

Dr. Hans Keirstead $25 (running against Dana Rohrbacker in CA)
Beto O'Rourke $25 (running against 'totally one human and not several' in TX)
Randy Bryce $35 (running against AynRandFanBoi in MO)
314action.org $100 - sponsors scientists to run in 2018

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #870 on: March 14, 2018, 03:40:34 PM »
NY Times just called the race for Connor Lamb

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #871 on: March 18, 2018, 12:02:16 PM »
I attempted to list my livingroom as available to 2 travelers for next weekend’s march in DC.  We shall see if I get any takers. 

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #872 on: March 18, 2018, 12:39:29 PM »
I wrote postcards for Marie Newman in an Illinois primary 

And...

I'll have 7 strangers staying in my house for the March for our Lives next  week. 

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #873 on: March 20, 2018, 10:19:35 PM »
I also wrote for Marie Newman!  Although as of right now, it's not looking good.  :(  Still, at the very least hopefully putting Lipinski on notice does something.

Finished writing a few batches for Hiral Tipirneni in AZ-08 last night.  I don't know why, but hearing nothing about this race, even though early voting starts in a few days, and we were hearing about Conor Lamb months out!  Why isn't anyone paying attention?  It's Gabby Giffords old district (although maybe redistricted more red since then) and I don't think it's any more red than PA-18.  But, if no one's paying attention to it, I guess that means it's hopeless.

I know several texting orgs I work with might text for her, but I don't know if it's going to happen.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #874 on: March 29, 2018, 08:10:52 PM »
Does anyone have a connection to either Hiral Tiperneni's or Beto O'Rourke's campaigns? I'm hitting the road again and will be in Texas in a few days. I could either extend my stay with supporter housing, or head to Arizona.

Peter Parker

• Stubble
« Reply #875 on: March 29, 2018, 08:58:35 PM »
Does anyone have a connection to either Hiral Tiperneni's or Beto O'Rourke's campaigns? I'm hitting the road again and will be in Texas in a few days. I could either extend my stay with supporter housing, or head to Arizona.

No connections, but I appreciate your willingness to pitch in....

http://hiralforcongress.com/

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #876 on: March 30, 2018, 09:49:16 AM »
I just read an amazing interview with a Christian environmental scientist I want to share. They never mention George Lakoff, but the communication techniques used are great examples of his ideas in action.

Katharine Hayhoe Reveals Surprising Ways to Talk About Climate Change

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #877 on: March 31, 2018, 09:19:28 AM »

No connections, but I appreciate your willingness to pitch in....

http://hiralforcongress.com/

Thanks. I've signed up on both websites, but it's usually faster to have a direct line when it comes to finding supporter housing.

EricL

« Reply #878 on: March 31, 2018, 12:19:12 PM »
I threw in my opinion Elizabeth Warren should be the next Democratic presidential candidate to the party.  She’s not weighed down with scandalous baggage like the blonde android, not an old white guy like Bernie (who would’ve been my choice the last election).  She’s a she (which seems all important to some people), she’s fairly young, and she’s a smart near permanent PITA to nefarious financial special interests. 

Also on track with donations to the Democratic Party, key elections, and its Progressive wing to the tune of $10k.  I’m considering more.  I’m a conservative Democrat who feels the nation needs a serious lurch to the left.

I’m unhappy with that left in its attempts to destroy the 2nd Amendment.  But it’s clear Democrats want to take our guns; Republicans want to take literally everything else.  And maybe guns too, if it’ll keep power. (Please don’t comment on the guns in this thread. There’s a whole other thread going on it if you have to.)

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #879 on: March 31, 2018, 12:39:50 PM »
I threw in my opinion Elizabeth Warren should be the next Democratic presidential candidate to the party.  She’s not weighed down with scandalous baggage like the blonde android, not an old white guy like Bernie (who would’ve been my choice the last election).  She’s a she (which seems all important to some people), she's fairly young, and she’s a smart near permanent PITA to nefarious financial special interests. 

I've liked Warren since LONG before she entered politics, but I think it's funny how we are now defining 'young' politicians as anyone under age 70. I think Warren would be 71 upon taking office if she were to run and win. 

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #880 on: March 31, 2018, 12:44:19 PM »
Yeah, she would actually be the oldest president ever elected if she ran and won in 2020.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #881 on: March 31, 2018, 01:09:04 PM »
Holy cow, I had no idea she was that old. She looks amazing for her age.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #882 on: March 31, 2018, 03:12:30 PM »
But it’s clear Democrats want to take our guns; Republicans want to take literally everything else.  And maybe guns too, if it’ll keep power.

I'm impressed by this statement. (I don't particularly agree that Democrats want to take our guns but certainly I'd agree that they want to do *something* about our gun problem.) Even so, you really filtered it down to an essential truth that I wish people who vote for Republicans could see. Maybe Republicans are not pressing for gun control, but they are stripping away quality of life in every other area. What do people care about more, I wonder? I guess we'll find out.

EricL

« Reply #883 on: March 31, 2018, 03:55:09 PM »
Yeah, she would actually be the oldest president ever elected if she ran and won in 2020.

Wow.  She is old.  And well preserved.  I don't think she'd be the oldest though.  President Reagan was older for his second term.  Bernie would be older if he was elected.  If we can get a young President Obama type Democratic candidate from left field I'd be OK with them.  It's not like the Democratic Party actually listens to me anyway except noting my email for future fund raising.  $10K only buys so much. 

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #884 on: March 31, 2018, 05:31:20 PM »

Wow.  She is old.  And well preserved.  I don't think she'd be the oldest though.  President Reagan was older for his second term.  Bernie would be older if he was elected.  If we can get a young President Obama type Democratic candidate from left field I'd be OK with them.  It's not like the Democratic Party actually listens to me anyway except noting my email for future fund raising.  $10K only buys so much.

No worries. There are likely to be approximately 2 trillion contenders for the Dem nomination.  In all seriousness, I heard some handicappers saying there were multiple dozens of realistic possibilities that the betting markets were already looking at.  Some of them are sure to be (actually) young whippersnappers.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 07:49:16 AM by wenchsenior »

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #885 on: March 31, 2018, 09:09:31 PM »
But it’s clear Democrats want to take our guns; Republicans want to take literally everything else.  And maybe guns too, if it’ll keep power.

I'm impressed by this statement. (I don't particularly agree that Democrats want to take our guns but certainly I'd agree that they want to do *something* about our gun problem.) Even so, you really filtered it down to an essential truth that I wish people who vote for Republicans could see. Maybe Republicans are not pressing for gun control, but they are stripping away quality of life in every other area. What do people care about more, I wonder? I guess we'll find out.

The idea that democrats are coming for everyone’s guns is an example of letting the right’s propaganda machine define the left’s messaging.

Here’s how I’ve been framing the party positions:

I wonder whether my fellow citizens want a government by and for the people, or a government for and by corporations. GOP is unabashedly representing corporations.

Progressive dems are unabashedly for the people. I don’t see how this isn’t clear to everyone. Well I suppose if a person listens to rush Limbaugh the picture gets blurry.

I’ve been giving $25 every couple weeks to pro-science Democrats like Hans keirstead. Countering a half billion $ of Koch Donor network propaganda going is an uphill battle.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 09:11:27 PM by Malaysia41 »

EricL

« Reply #886 on: April 01, 2018, 12:24:19 AM »

The idea that democrats are coming for everyone’s guns is an example of letting the right’s propaganda machine define the left’s messaging.

I wonder whether my fellow citizens want a government by and for the people, or a government for and by corporations. GOP is unabashedly representing corporations.

Progressive dems are unabashedly for the people. I don’t see how this isn’t clear to everyone. Well I suppose if a person listens to rush Limbaugh the picture gets blurry.

I’ve been giving $25 every couple weeks to pro-science Democrats like Hans keirstead. Countering a half billion $ of Koch Donor network propaganda going is an uphill battle.

Like I said, let's avoid arguing about guns here.  There's an entire thread devoted on it in these forums.  I forgot to mention I gave $100 to Andrew McCabe's GoFundMe to support his legal battle.  He's the senior FBI official Trump fired hours away from his 30 year retirement.  I got a little pushback from GoFundMe because I commented the "President had less class than a shit throwing monkey."  But I'm sure the money's still good.  He was aiming for $150k and is up to $526k.  That's a fair amount of lawyers.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #887 on: April 01, 2018, 01:51:04 AM »

Like I said, let's avoid arguing about guns here.  There's an entire thread devoted on it in these forums.  I forgot to mention I gave $100 to Andrew McCabe's GoFundMe to support his legal battle.  He's the senior FBI official Trump fired hours away from his 30 year retirement.  I got a little pushback from GoFundMe because I commented the "President had less class than a shit throwing monkey."  But I'm sure the money's still good.  He was aiming for $150k and is up to $526k.  That's a fair amount of lawyers.

I agree.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #888 on: April 01, 2018, 12:19:03 PM »
Its that strong  American Indian bone structure.

EricL

« Reply #889 on: April 01, 2018, 03:13:01 PM »
Its that strong  American Indian bone structure.

Her Whole body hangs off those cheek bones.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #890 on: April 01, 2018, 03:40:21 PM »
OK y'all, let's get back on subject. Leave Elizabeth Warren's cheekbones alone!

I sent an email to Beto's team, and in the meantime I signed up for texting and data entry, which can be done from home. I also signed up for a neighborhood canvass on Wednesday. I'm hoping my forum friends will have a bike and bike lock to lend me by that time.

Tonight I am probably skipping dinner with them to get started on applications to a few DC jobs.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #891 on: April 04, 2018, 05:16:23 AM »
After donating $ to Dr. Hans Keirstead's congressional campaign, I commented on his FB post about climate change. I asked him to sign the  nofossilfuelmoney.org pledge.

Next day, he posts a pic in direct response to my comment:

https://www.facebook.com/drhanskeirstead/photos/p.1914281365310171/1914281365310171/?type=3&theater

cool.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #892 on: April 04, 2018, 09:20:19 AM »
Nice going, M41 and Dr. K!

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #893 on: April 05, 2018, 11:37:26 AM »
This article from the New Yorker is a little over a year old but talks about what's actually effective when constituents want to talk to their congressperson. It's long but worth reading, especially once you get past the historical context section (which is interesting but not at to the point of what this thread is all about as the rest of the article).

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #894 on: April 10, 2018, 12:37:48 PM »
This political cycle I'm concentrating on voter registration.

I set up a voter registration table at my daughter's middle school International Night last week.  We got 3 new voters - not a ton, but better than none!  I also made sure that anyone who walked by the table knew that we have school board and city council elections coming up.   I'm doing another voter registration drive this Sunday at the Indian Catholic Church (who knew that was a thing??) .  The priest is my neighbor and was so excited when I explained what I wanted to do.

Last year oldest kid and I block-walked for one of the school board candidates (a high school senior, extremely progressive - and he won!).  This year I'd like to do the same - the imam of the local mosque is running for school board.  I really like him and his kids, but it's gonna get ugly here, fast.  Unfortunately, I'm still healing from a broken foot and I don't think I can walk that much yet.  I need to call and at least get a sign for my yard.

I did put a Beto O'Rourke pin on the strap of my purse.  A teeny bit of advertising, everywhere I go :)

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #895 on: April 10, 2018, 12:59:26 PM »
That's pretty cool, @formerlydivorcedmom

Speaking of voter registration, I'm working on a voter "education" project (it's funded by a (c)3, so it's non-partisan and is technically about educating voters about registering) via texting to Latinx communities in AZ, FL and NV.  If anyone here is bilingual (in Spanish) and wants to participate in (or learn about) text banking, please let me know.  We hope to reach out to half a million people or more!  We'll also be compiling and analyzing results to see if/how effective at getting new voters registered this method can be.  We could use some more bilingual texters.  If you are interested in text banking (but aren't bilingual) I could also hook you up.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #896 on: April 10, 2018, 01:48:53 PM »

How would I go about getting involved with an automatic voter registration initiative if my state currently doesn't do that?

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #897 on: April 11, 2018, 11:41:07 AM »
That's pretty cool, @formerlydivorcedmom

Speaking of voter registration, I'm working on a voter "education" project (it's funded by a (c)3, so it's non-partisan and is technically about educating voters about registering) via texting to Latinx communities in AZ, FL and NV.  If anyone here is bilingual (in Spanish) and wants to participate in (or learn about) text banking, please let me know.  We hope to reach out to half a million people or more!  We'll also be compiling and analyzing results to see if/how effective at getting new voters registered this method can be.  We could use some more bilingual texters.  If you are interested in text banking (but aren't bilingual) I could also hook you up.

@sui generis , I know the woman who founded Pantsuit Republic.  She is very interested in voter registration and education for Latinx and other traditionally under-represented communities.  Your effort sounds like something she might want to get behind.  I can help get you in touch with her if you think this is something that might ought to be rolled out in Texas, too.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #898 on: April 11, 2018, 11:44:39 AM »

How would I go about getting involved with an automatic voter registration initiative if my state currently doesn't do that?

@DarkandStormy , I don't know the answer to that.  Maybe start by looking up voter advocacy groups in your state, or start with one of these organizations?  http://reclaimtheamericandream.org/organizations-vote/

I took the volunteer deputy voter registrar training in my county, asked surrounding counties if they'd certify me too, and I show up where I can to nag people into registering to vote/educate them on upcoming election dates. 

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #899 on: April 11, 2018, 12:31:24 PM »
I'm going to be in Austin until the 22nd, doing some volunteering for Beto, but I won't be spending all my time on that. I can't register voters, but if anyone knows a local who may want to meet up and work on something together, please PM me.

Although, @formerlydivorcedmom , I'm guessing you're not in Austin if an imam running for school board is controversial.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!