Author Topic: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance - VICTORY!  (Read 290830 times)

Alim Nassor

• Stubble
Re: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance
« Reply #650 on: May 27, 2017, 04:22:09 AM »
I'm still making my regular NRA contributions and lighting a candle daily in thanks that Hillary lost.

Mac_MacGyver

• Stubble
« Reply #651 on: May 27, 2017, 06:19:38 AM »
Hahahaha, complaining about ACA, how about you buck up and take care of yourself instead of your desire to sponge off the work of others!! I am going to ask that means testing be part of the law. I can write letters as well!!

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #652 on: May 27, 2017, 06:29:11 AM »
I encourage everyone to participate in the political process as much as possible, but, honestly, I don't see anything I do having any kind of impact politically. The USA is owned and operated by a small number of very wealthy people who set all policy to enrich themselves rather than advance the nation. Look at this past election as an example. People thought they were electing an outsider to flip tables and instead they elected yet another elite who placed his billionaire friends in positions of power and then immediately started working to redirect tax money from the middle class and poor to the rich. It never ends and I don't believe it's ever going to change.

I suppose my own personal act of resistance is to decide to largely disengage from a mentality of always putting others first before myself. I thought I was being selfless and altruistic, but maybe I was just being unassertive this whole time. The funny thing is that when I started looking out for "number one" more consistently, it also allowed me to donate more to charity and do more good than I ever have before.

Mac_MacGyver

• Stubble
« Reply #653 on: May 27, 2017, 08:01:37 AM »
I encourage everyone to participate in the political process as much as possible, but, honestly, I don't see anything I do having any kind of impact politically. The USA is owned and operated by a small number of very wealthy people who set all policy to enrich themselves rather than advance the nation. Look at this past election as an example. People thought they were electing an outsider to flip tables and instead they elected yet another elite who placed his billionaire friends in positions of power and then immediately started working to redirect tax money from the middle class and poor to the rich. It never ends and I don't believe it's ever going to change.

I suppose my own personal act of resistance is to decide to largely disengage from a mentality of always putting others first before myself. I thought I was being selfless and altruistic, but maybe I was just being unassertive this whole time. The funny thing is that when I started looking out for "number one" more consistently, it also allowed me to donate more to charity and do more good than I ever have before.

I agree with this. Act at the community level. To focus on political parties is absurd, guess what, both parties only look out for the interest of the party, that's why they exist, to promote the party.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 08:03:14 AM by Mac_MacGyver »

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #654 on: May 27, 2017, 08:19:08 AM »
Posts that discourage people from being politically engaged or supporting the administration should be in their own thread.

WTC, if you want to encourage people to be politically engaged, then go encourage people! Spreading the idea that things are never going to change and it's pointless to try is a self-fulfilling prophecy.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 09:47:33 AM by MonkeyJenga »

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #655 on: May 27, 2017, 08:20:31 AM »
Hahahaha, complaining about ACA, how about you buck up and take care of yourself instead of your desire to sponge off the work of others!! I am going to ask that means testing be part of the law. I can write letters as well!!
The proposed AHCA sets subsidy on age, not income which leaves older low income folks out to dry.  You must feel great right now. 

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #656 on: May 27, 2017, 08:28:01 AM »
Made triple-matched donation to Ossoff campaign.

High-five!

My local, district-level activist group developed a relationship with our congressperson's aide after only one in-person meeting. They respond to our questions and are open to hearing our input on framing and messaging. We now have clout. Surprisingly easy to get it, too.

We also coordinated a last minute presence at a local politician's small event, to ask tough questions and get their answers on camera.

We had speakers from two other, more established groups speak about NYC issues at our last team meeting.

I have confirmed another group to educate us in June on a confusing electoral/legislative issue unique to our state.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #657 on: May 27, 2017, 08:48:37 AM »

I do take care of myself, as do just about everyone on here who is so motivated to take care of themselves that they are successfully investing hundreds of thousands of dollars if not millions.
Part of taking care of myself means to be politically engaged - supporting candidates who have values that help middle class and working class and the poor to gain access to health care affordably.
Sponging off the work of others is a canard, lots of the super rich got their income because of the cultural values that favored them - the "super man" is going to take care of all the decisions so let's pay this "super man" an absurdly ridiculous amount of money even though in reality he isn't doing a whole lot.

WhiteTrashCan not only should you be politically active, but you should in fact run for elected office since you said you're good at public speaking. And in so doing you should bring the values of helping the working poor etc. against the efforts of other politicians to only favor the rich.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #658 on: May 27, 2017, 11:19:23 AM »
WhiteTrashCash, you have a talent for writing. You could use that gift to reach a lot of people and influence them. Plus the public speaking DavidAnnArbor mentioned.

One org you might want to look into is Represent Us. They organize volunteers locally to pass Anti-Corruption Acts. The only way to eventually get a federal framework in place is to start at the city level, build to the states, and finally build to federal.

The American Anti-Corruption Act is model policy that sets a framework for city, state and federal laws to fix our broken political system. It fundamentally reshapes the rules of American politics and restores the people as the most important stakeholders in our political  system. An Anti-Corruption Act has three primary goals:

• Stop political bribery so special interests can’t use job offers and donations to influence politicians.
  • End secret money so people know who’s buying political power.
  • Fix our broken elections so the people, not the political establishment, are the ones in control.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #659 on: June 01, 2017, 03:37:50 PM »
The global warming deniers have to get the boot in 2018. First up, that bully, and head of the House Science Committee: Lamar Smith.

I just donated $30 to his opponent Joseph Kopser. Kopser is a pro-gun former republican who happens to believe we need to reduce fossil fuel use. Read up on him. If he's palatable to you, for goodness sakes send him a few bucks. You'll only be charged when he decides to officially run. It's a heavily gerrymandered district, but Lamar Smith is a class A cunt. (I know - I troll him on twitter - he's the worst). Just cuz it ain't easy doesn't mean it's not worth doing.

If you've got a few dollars to spare - boot rep Lamar smith in 2018 by donating to his opponent. Please.

https://www.crowdpac.com/campaigns/193261/joseph-kopser-new-leadership-for-tx-21

« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 10:14:26 PM by Malaysia41 »

Mac_MacGyver

• Stubble
« Reply #660 on: June 01, 2017, 06:44:00 PM »
The proposed AHCA sets subsidy on age, not income which leaves older low income folks out to dry.  You must feel great right now. 

Not losing any sleep.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #661 on: June 02, 2017, 11:52:09 AM »
Today I defended an Indivisible protagonist on NextDoor. So there, You People!!! Haha.

She had respectfully asked what the neighborhood thought about her having a table to give away literature durhg our summer house tour which brings in 3,000 -4,000 people. A few voices in responded saying "please keep politics out of our house tour"  but most were supportive, mainly because they liked her goals.

Since she is setting up shop on her own lawn, it is entirely her business and no one else's and I thought it was very nice of her to even ask.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #662 on: June 02, 2017, 02:24:15 PM »
You can contact sponsors and tell them to stop advertising on shows and channels that shill and divide. For example...

https://www.mediamatters.org/research/2017/05/23/these-are-sean-hannitys-advertisers/216607

Here's my recent chat with Joshua at Capital One:

Joshua at 21:14, Jun 2:
Good afternoon M41, how may I help you?

Malaysia41:
Hi Joshua,
I have a credit card account, a savings account, and multiple brokerage accounts with Cap One.
I'm also a (small time) investor in COF.  I was profoundly disappointed to learn that Cap One advertises on the Hannity Program specifically, and on the Fox news channel in general.

That media outlet has turned the majority of my family members into hateful people. Hannity in particular peddles conspiracy stories that are based on zero facts. I request for Cap One to stop advertising with Fox news. There are plenty of other places to advertise.

Malaysia41 at 21:18, Jun 2:
I for one, happily spread the word.  ...on the regular. But not since I found out your company was a primary sponsor for Hannity.

Malaysia41 at 21:18, Jun 2:
If my info is in error please tell me.

Joshua at 21:18, Jun 2:
Thank you for sharing your feedback. Mr. Hannity’s views are his own and do not reflect the views of Capital One. We appreciate you taking the time to chat and will pass on your concerns to the appropriate departments.

Malaysia41 at 21:20, Jun 2:
Yes please pass that along. I have approx IDK, $800k in assets under management with you.
Joshua at 21:21, Jun 2:
I will definitely pass on your concerns to the appropriate department.
Malaysia41 at 21:21, Jun 2:
This is serious and important for me. Ill be checking back in a couple months to find out if your company is still advertising with Fox. It'll be a real pain in the arse to move my money elsewhere, but it's always an option.  In the meantime Thank you I appreciate you passing along my concerns.

Malaysia41 at 21:22, Jun 2:
I hope I didn't come across as rude here by the way. I'm just utterly devastated at what my parents and a couple siblings have become, and Fox news is a big component in their change.

Joshua at 21:23, Jun 2:
You did not come across rude! I totally understand your view points. I am sorry to hear about your family!

Malaysia41 at 21:24, Jun 2:
Thank you.  Other than that I love Cap One.

Malaysia41 at 21:24, Jun 2:
Have a good day and great weekend.

Joshua at 21:25, Jun 2:
You're welcome! We do listen to the voices of our customers and you are not the first one to speak out about this. Thank you for chatting with us and have a wonderful weekend as well!

Malaysia41 at 21:25, Jun 2:
:)

Alim Nassor

• Stubble
« Reply #663 on: June 02, 2017, 03:08:39 PM »
You don't think much of your family if you think some guy on TV has changed them into such monsters.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #664 on: June 02, 2017, 03:20:21 PM »
You don't think much of your family if you think some guy on TV has changed them into such monsters.
Oh, please.   This stuff is insidious, and clever.  It's a form of advertising, and advertising is a multi-billion dollar industry that exists because it works.  We are all, always, susceptible to the messages we are receiving - it's part of what makes us human and what makes human society work.  You may not have fallen for that particular brand message, but like all of us there are other brand messages you have fallen for, and will fall for.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #665 on: June 02, 2017, 03:25:46 PM »
That ^ would be a great debate for a new thread. Let's keep this one one point. Thanks.

Alim Nassor

• Stubble
« Reply #666 on: June 02, 2017, 05:42:19 PM »
Oh, please.   This stuff is insidious, and clever.  It's a form of advertising, and advertising is a multi-billion dollar industry that exists because it works.  We are all, always, susceptible to the messages we are receiving - it's part of what makes us human and what makes human society work.  You may not have fallen for that particular brand message, but like all of us there are other brand messages you have fallen for, and will fall for.

I'm very conservative in my political views and I can't stand Hannity.   He's as fake a conservative as I've ever seen.  But if you think Hannity is poisoning minds, what can we conclude about radical leftists like Rachel Maddow and her legion of idiots?

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #667 on: June 02, 2017, 05:51:01 PM »

I'm very conservative in my political views and I can't stand Hannity.   He's as fake a conservative as I've ever seen.  But if you think Hannity is poisoning minds, what can we conclude about radical leftists like Rachel Maddow and her legion of idiots?

We can conclude that you should take this commentary to another thread where it's actually on topic.

Alim Nassor

• Stubble
« Reply #668 on: June 02, 2017, 06:36:46 PM »
Lol. I wasn't aware that I had invaded your safe space.  Carry on.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #669 on: June 02, 2017, 07:35:11 PM »

Seriously man, this is a thread specifically against your current administration. Don't be a troll, take your bat and ball and go home. Nobody wants to play with you.

Alim Nassor

• Stubble
« Reply #670 on: June 02, 2017, 07:57:35 PM »

Seriously man, this is a thread specifically against your current administration. Don't be a troll, take your bat and ball and go home. Nobody wants to play with you.

I though my post was clear.  Carry on.

jordanread

« Reply #671 on: June 06, 2017, 08:16:38 AM »
With the US pulling out of the Paris Accords, a few non-national solutions have popped up. At the state level, governors can join the Climate Alliance, and at the city level, there is the Mayor's National Climate Action Agenda. Not sure there is anything but a call that one can do here, but at least it's a direct action item.

And yes, I know the Mayor's National Climate Action Agenda was not created in response to the US pulling out of the Paris Accords, but that's how I came to the realization that it's a real thing.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #672 on: June 06, 2017, 09:34:33 AM »
Started a monthly donation to the Union of Concerned Scientists. 

You don't have to be an actual scientist to do this; it's an advocacy organization, open essentially to scientists and allies.  Not strictly speaking a climate change org, but that has become a major focus.  (Eg, they published a "Half the Oil Plan" to show that there are facts indicating the US can cut its oil use in half by 2035, as a counter to the oil industry's messaging that this isn't possible/realistic).

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #673 on: June 07, 2017, 08:01:55 AM »
DH and I went to our first Indivisible meeting last night. The topic was local environmental issues. I was impressed by the turnout and met some interesting people.

Today is a day of action to support after school and summer school programming. The current proposed federal budget includes $0 for after school. The Afterschool Alliance has a call-in tool and phone script for guidance.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #674 on: June 08, 2017, 07:40:07 AM »
Cool, LifeHappens!! And thanks for defending your neighbor, Iris!!

Here's something I just heard about today which I thought would be of interest to Mustachians:

The Senate will decide TODAY (6/8/17) whether to roll back consumer protections for people who use prepaid credit cards. The rule that will be under attack extends the consumer protections associated with regular credit card accounts to prepaid accounts. These include provision of detailed and regular account information on balances, transactions and fees, company assistance in resolving problems related to card loss or unauthorized use, and limitation of liability for credit card fraud.
Who uses prepaid cards? Historically, people without bank accounts were the primary users. A recent PEW study found that about half of prepaid card users have bank accounts, and use the prepaid cards as a form of fiscal discipline or to avoid overdrafts. Now, there are some 65 million who would be affected.
Let’s try to stop this: call your Senators THIS MORNING and urge them to REJECT SENATE JOINT RESOLUTION 19.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #675 on: June 08, 2017, 07:57:22 AM »
Done, Poundwise. Thanks for the alert. I was quite proud of myself for calling the resolution "a bad deal for American consumers." I've been studying George Lakoff's work and trying to incorporate his framing ideas into my messages.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #676 on: June 08, 2017, 08:27:07 AM »
Yay everyone!

Note on calling about upcoming votes: if you want your opinion to influence the vote, call at least one day BEFORE the vote happens. Calls and emails are tallied at the end of the day, so politicians won't get your opinion on this until the day after you call.

It's still useful to call after the vote, to either say thanks or "bad girl" in iris lily's immortal words. ;)

Done, Poundwise. Thanks for the alert. I was quite proud of myself for calling the resolution "a bad deal for American consumers." I've been studying George Lakoff's work and trying to incorporate his framing ideas into my messages.

I'm in a new group dedicated to studying framing and passing our ideas up to D pols. PM me if you want to join our call June 12, 5-6 pm EST.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #677 on: June 08, 2017, 02:00:51 PM »
I would specifically like to know how to frame the reproductive choice argument to Republicans in the Bible Belt. If you have any calls like that coming up, I would be very interested.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #678 on: June 08, 2017, 09:42:14 PM »
And, on a lighter note, we have the British elections:

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #679 on: June 09, 2017, 12:47:25 AM »
And, on a lighter note, we have the British elections:

This makes me love the country I live in.

Forever Wednesday

« Reply #680 on: June 09, 2017, 04:11:57 AM »
^ I'm willing to bet that Elmo would secure us a better Brexit deal than May. :)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #681 on: June 09, 2017, 08:59:19 AM »
Congrats you happy Brits!!  But to get back onto topic please,

Called my senators begging them to stop the Senate version of AHCA.  Phone was picked up within 2 rings on the main Washington line-- a bad sign.  We need to get off our butts and start calling again, and get friends and family to call!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 09:06:19 AM by Poundwise »

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #682 on: June 09, 2017, 10:03:47 AM »
Called my senators begging them to stop the Senate version of AHCA.  Phone was picked up within 2 rings on the main Washington line-- a bad sign.  We need to get off our butts and start calling again, and get friends and family to call!

I've heard that phone calls are back to pre-election levels. I don't have a source for that though, if anyone does it would be welcome. I'm going to try to find time to call later today.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #683 on: June 09, 2017, 10:14:24 AM »

I've heard that phone calls are back to pre-election levels. I don't have a source for that though, if anyone does it would be welcome. I'm going to try to find time to call later today.

I have also heard that. I'm going to call on my layover, and I've been coordinating with other NY'ers to see what responses they've been getting so far. Schumer is being really wishy-washy.

For now I'm going to Resistbot it and text them.

Shameful confession: I've been slacking on calls. I've used the excuse that I'm doing so many other things, but I need to call. It's so basic. Y'all are going to be my accountability buddies.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #684 on: June 09, 2017, 11:59:37 AM »
So a couple of weeks ago, I attended a talk given by some congressional staffers, and they said that when we call, they check our names with a database of people who called already, so duplicate calls by the same person on the same issue don't really help that much (unless of course you have more info to add, like a personal story about why the issue is important to you.)

So if you already called your senators on AHCA (and you have to call each one separately, doesn't count that you already called your House rep), the biggest thing you can do is contact family and friends and get them to call.

Also, in solidarity with Labour supporters, some friends & I bought British cheese today in celebration!

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #685 on: June 09, 2017, 11:29:37 PM »
I'm posting here to remind myself that I have a new location, and new representatives for the time being. Apparently I'm in the NY 27th now. Next step to find out what local groups might be active with things going on. Congressman's office seems to be out of easy bike riding distance, that takes away half the fun :(

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #686 on: June 10, 2017, 09:09:57 AM »
So a couple of weeks ago, I attended a talk given by some congressional staffers, and they said that when we call, they check our names with a database of people who called already, so duplicate calls by the same person on the same issue don't really help that much (unless of course you have more info to add, like a personal story about why the issue is important to you.)

So if you already called your senators on AHCA (and you have to call each one separately, doesn't count that you already called your House rep), the biggest thing you can do is contact family and friends and get them to call.

Also, in solidarity with Labour supporters, some friends & I bought British cheese today in celebration!

I've only heard that it's not worth it to call multiple offices on the same day. Is the list of who's called EVER, or who called that day? Week? Month? I mean, Senate AHCA is a new thing. And Indivisible people said keep calling every day, because the calls get tallied. They didn't say the dupes get filtered out... At the state-level, there could be multiple people with the same name. Schumer's staff hasn't been taking zip codes, so how would they know whether I'm the same person?

This may be different depending on the politician.

ALSO. I have a personal example that contradicts this. Someone in my district group called our congressperson every day for a couple weeks about a specific bill, asking MoC to co-sponsor. Finally MoC became co-sponsor. When we met with MoC, they said, "Oh, that was you!"

This may apply more to issues where not a lot of attention is being paid, but I think calling repeatedly can work.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 09:11:40 AM by MonkeyJenga »

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #687 on: June 10, 2017, 09:12:24 AM »
I called Schumer and Gillibrand yesterday about the AHCA. I also said in general keep resisting.

I gave two people information on how to canvass for Jon Ossoff.

I gave feedback to an Indivisible friend on a speech he's going to give.

I'm posting here to remind myself that I have a new location, and new representatives for the time being. Apparently I'm in the NY 27th now. Next step to find out what local groups might be active with things going on. Congressman's office seems to be out of easy bike riding distance, that takes away half the fun :(

Here you go: http://www.luprogressives.org/event/a-demonstration-to-demand-answers-from-chris-collins/

"Sponsors: WNY Peace Center, ACTion Buffalo, Citizens Against Collins, Turning Election Emotion Into Action, #BuffaloResists, Huddle for the 27th, Indivisible NY 27th"

https://www.meetup.com/Resist-Rochester/events/238762055/

Hosted by: Michelle Johnston Schoeneman
Sponsored by: GLOW Progressives, WNY Peace Center, Buffalo Resists, Sister District for WNY, Indivisible NY 27th, Citizens Against Collins

Past events with contact info for hosts:

https://actionnetwork.org/events/rally7-chris-collins-were-still-here-you-arent?source=widget
https://actionnetwork.org/events/die-in-ny-27-chris-collins-geneseo?referrer=indivisible-austin-2&source=twitter

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #688 on: June 10, 2017, 03:44:58 PM »
I've only heard that it's not worth it to call multiple offices on the same day. Is the list of who's called EVER, or who called that day? Week? Month? I mean, Senate AHCA is a new thing. And Indivisible people said keep calling every day, because the calls get tallied. They didn't say the dupes get filtered out... At the state-level, there could be multiple people with the same name. Schumer's staff hasn't been taking zip codes, so how would they know whether I'm the same person?

Gillibrand's staffer said they filter out the duplicates.  My current routine now is to make a call daily, new issue each time.  If/when I run out of new issues (doesn't happen often, sadly), I'll start over if the phones aren't jammed. Otherwise, if they are busy and I've already called on that issue, I won't make the call, so that other people can get through.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #689 on: June 10, 2017, 07:44:41 PM »

Gillibrand's staffer said they filter out the duplicates.  My current routine now is to make a call daily, new issue each time.  If/when I run out of new issues (doesn't happen often, sadly), I'll start over if the phones aren't jammed. Otherwise, if they are busy and I've already called on that issue, I won't make the call, so that other people can get through.

Good to know, thanks. I'll check with Schumer's office to see if they have the same policy, then let my groups know.

Luck12

• Bristles
« Reply #690 on: June 11, 2017, 11:46:26 AM »
Don't know if I have mentioned before but bears repeating:  You can call any Senator or Rep, just use a fake name and fake zip code.   I've contacted over 30 different reps and Senators using this approach.   Imagine if everyone did this. 

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #691 on: June 12, 2017, 07:30:47 AM »
Don't know if I have mentioned before but bears repeating:  You can call any Senator or Rep, just use a fake name and fake zip code.   I've contacted over 30 different reps and Senators using this approach.   Imagine if everyone did this.

I'm not a fan of this approach.  They're already claiming that they are getting fake calls as a way of delegitimizing the ones they are getting.  Be your best self.  Take the high road.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #692 on: June 12, 2017, 08:01:05 AM »
Not ethical, and actually dispicable. If you come into my state to lobby for a state issue and you arent a voter here affected by the legislation, you can go and ...well, I think you know what you can do.

But a small donation buys you a call, or a series of calls, IMHO. If there is a key Congressman you want ro lobby more than once, give them a donation. When you call you can say you are a donor to his/her campaign. They may tally that call differently, or may not tally ot at all. But remaining ethical in your dealigs is important, I think.

And I think by posting this tip you have set back Indivisible a step or two.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 08:03:15 AM by iris lily »

Luck12

• Bristles
« Reply #693 on: June 12, 2017, 08:45:45 AM »

I'm not a fan of this approach.  They're already claiming that they are getting fake calls as a way of delegitimizing the ones they are getting.  Be your best self.  Take the high road.

And look where that's gotten us.  You have asshole McConell invoking a rule to bypass the entire regular legislative procedure for a Senate bill.  Not to mention the Merrick Garland bullshit.   Fuck the whole going high BS, we need to fight with all that we have.  People will die, they will go bankrupt as a result of this.   I would say it's our moral imperative to do what we have to do. 

Everything a congressman votes for can potentially affect us so in essence they represent everybody so I don't see any ethical issues. 

jordanread

« Reply #694 on: June 12, 2017, 09:08:34 AM »
I do believe that this thread is for ways to 'resist' within the current political framework. Don't get me wrong, that framework needs some changes, but when it comes to manipulating that framework, I don't know that this would be the place to discuss that, and would probably be better suited for somewhere else.

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #695 on: June 12, 2017, 10:07:28 AM »
Luck12, not only is that a bad idea for image reasons, I don't think it works the way you think it does. I believe congressional offices check voter registration rolls.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #696 on: June 12, 2017, 05:02:18 PM »
I totally agree with your anger Luck12. I think it helps to go to political marches and demonstrations.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #697 on: June 12, 2017, 05:22:21 PM »

I understand the impulse. Everybody is affected by the collective House. That being said, I don't advocate doing this, and I have seen org leaders specifically tell people not to do it.

I have heard that one option to reach other reps is call on behalf of a specific person who can't call themselves for whatever reason. You would say, "I'm calling on behalf of XYZ in zip whatever, blah blah vote this way."

If people have constructive advice, feel free to share!

And I think by posting this tip you have set back Indivisible a step or two.

I don't think Luck12 said they were affiliated with Indivisible. I know the groups I'm in have said not to do it. With grassroots efforts, there will always be individuals doing their own thing.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #698 on: June 12, 2017, 05:27:14 PM »
SPEAKING OF INDIVISIBLE

They have put out a comprehensive guide around Trumpcare: https://www.indivisibleguide.com/stop-trumpcare/

They are also coordinating with local chapters to have weekly Wednesday calls on the topic.

Specific asks: https://www.indivisibleguide.com/resource/stop-trumpcare-june-action-plan/

For Republican Senators: They need to know that you demand that they vote AGAINST TrumpCare. Voting yes means ripping away health care from millions of Americans. It means voting against the interest of their constituents to give Donald Trump a victory. We have resources on our website specific to your Senators that you should use when communicating with staff.

Ask them to commit to voting against any bill that will result in anyone losing coverage.
Ask them to commit to voting against any bill that does not guarantee people with pre-existing conditions won’t see higher premiums.
Ask them to vote against to any bill that eliminates funding for Medicaid.

For Democratic Senators: Does your Democratic Senator already oppose TrumpCare? Great. Now, what else are they doing to stop the bill from passing? They should be as fired up as you are, they should be doing everything within their power to stop or slow the process in the Senate. Ask them to withhold consent on all Senate business until Republicans agree to hold a public hearing on TrumpCare.

Indivisible groups are going to have an impact because these actions will happen all across the country. It’s important to engage in this plan in every state. That being said, there are a few frontline members that should receive some extra pressure: Susan Collins (ME), Lisa Murkowski (AK), Dean Heller (NV), Shelley Moore Capito (WV), Bill Cassidy (LA), Rob Portman (OH), Tom Cotton (AR), Cory Gardner (CO), Jeff Flake (AZ), Pat Toomey (PA) and Dan Sullivan (AK).

If you know anyone in those states above, ask them to call!

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #699 on: June 13, 2017, 09:29:46 AM »
I'll start bugging friends and family in Alaska to get on this. :)