Author Topic: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance - VICTORY!  (Read 290819 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
Re: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance
« Reply #400 on: February 03, 2017, 04:04:52 PM »
I don't know the truth, but I recently read about a new clean coal burning technology.  I think it said 90% reduction in pollution?  Did anybody else see it? 

I was hoping we'd continue towards sustainable energy, but this could send us back towards coal.  It would be good for the coal economy, and 90% better for the oil.  Might reduce the fracking industry.  I'm sure plenty of other good/bad repercussions.

This is the issue with some reporting.  Yes, "clean-coal" technology significantly reduces the pollution of Coal.  However, the pollution put out by "clean coal" is still significantly more than natural gas and (obviously) renewable sources like solar.  So it is clean only in comparison to how dirty it used to be. 

An analogy I like, is my bathroom floor is clean, but I still don't want to eat off it.

Yes.  The problem is that coal can't compete with natural gas from a cost perspective, and massive investments would be needed for widespread implementation of clean coal, so it makes no economic sense.  Gutting basic rules about dumping waste into streams makes it obvious that any talk of clean coal is just hypothetical lipservice from the industry lobbyists.  Cleaner energy is already providing lots of jobs, so this is all dangerous pandering that will benefit a vanishingly small bunch.

Methane rule for oil and gas drilling on public land also being gutted.  I have homework for the weekend.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #401 on: February 03, 2017, 06:10:16 PM »
Once again, someone beat me. Was coming here to post about Bannon. Now, at least, I can add my voice saying that I called to register my strong opposition.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #402 on: February 03, 2017, 06:50:44 PM »
It's not as if they're spewing pure posion into the air; one is at least as safe, and lrobably safer from an air quality perspective, living near a modern coal power plant than they are living in a large city.

Unless you're talking Beijing or Mexico City, this isn't true. Over 60% of SO2 comes from coal burning. Over 60% of Arsenic is from coal burning. (Not all of the rest comes from city living, either. Paper mills and incinerators pollute too.)

SO2, for example, has an attainment level of 75 ppb. There's no way a coal plant can get to that level.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #403 on: February 03, 2017, 07:07:21 PM »
It's not as if they're spewing pure posion into the air; one is at least as safe, and lrobably safer from an air quality perspective, living near a modern coal power plant than they are living in a large city.

Unless you're talking Beijing or Mexico City, this isn't true. Over 60% of SO2 comes from coal burning. Over 60% of Arsenic is from coal burning. (Not all of the rest comes from city living, either. Paper mills and incinerators pollute too.)

SO2, for example, has an attainment level of 75 ppb. There's no way a coal plant can get to that level.
I would let the respiratory difficulty studies speak for themselves. No one is suggesting breathing directly from the exhaust stack of any power plant.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #404 on: February 03, 2017, 07:29:43 PM »

I would let the respiratory difficulty studies speak for themselves. No one is suggesting breathing directly from the exhaust stack of any power plant.

Do you have studies that compare asthma rates near a coal power plant and asthma rates in an urban area? Please cite.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #405 on: February 03, 2017, 07:51:27 PM »
Please move this coal conversation to a new thread.

Thank you.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #406 on: February 03, 2017, 08:42:59 PM »
Well then. They're trying to take away supplemental security insurance. I can think of at least a few people, including my mother, who would be impacted by this.

DrMoneyTails

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #407 on: February 04, 2017, 04:00:43 AM »
Posting to follow. Thank you for this!
I've been calling daily since inauguration day.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #408 on: February 04, 2017, 08:10:07 AM »
Today I talked with my kid about:
  • what "facts" and "alternative facts" are (thanks to response to my earlier q on here)
  • what "newspeak" is
  • how some people are not safe to speak out, which makes it incredibly important that people who are relatively safe do
Are there truly people who "are not safe to speak out?" Other than Milo Yiannopolis who is physically threatened and kept from speaking at specific places, it seems like the populace here in the U.S. Is energized and into speaking out, as evidenced by this thread. I think it is GREAT for our democracy!

Or perhaps you mean in Canada people are not "safe to speak out." There is that pesky Human Rights Tribunal that clamped right down on Mark Steyn''s writing. I dont know who else they are threatening into silence, sorry, I dont follow Canadian politics that closely.

To keep this focused on the thrjead intent, and because  speech is really a big one with me, I sent  small contribution to the ACLU today. Small! But it has been years since
I donated , decades even, and I hope they will continue in defending free speech in the U.S.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 08:12:51 AM by iris lily »

greengardens

• Stubble
« Reply #409 on: February 04, 2017, 08:25:27 AM »
Posting to follow! My friend and I are writing postcards to our state and federal reps during the super bowl and I've being calling my senators a few times each week.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #410 on: February 04, 2017, 08:53:07 AM »
Are there truly people who "are not safe to speak out?"

Yes.

I see it in my work every day, in a wide variety of political applications. It's the entire nature of my primary work.
Could you  be more specific, and on another thread? I am curous what you mean but do not want ro derail this. Is this a Canadian thing?

I seldom "felt safe" to speak out about politics at work, but political speak wasnt part of my job, so I stuffed it. And that is ok, the greater world did not suffer because  of that.  :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 08:57:46 AM by iris lily »

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #411 on: February 05, 2017, 11:56:24 AM »
Yesterday I went to an organizing planning meeting, briefly dropped in on a rally, and had a good strategy conversation with a friend. Today I called around to various representatives to leave messages opposing Bannon's appointment to the NSC.  Day before yesterday I sent off a flurry of emails to Dianne Feinstein, including one complaining about her full mailboxes and busy signals.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #412 on: February 05, 2017, 12:31:57 PM »
I went to a Represent.Us meeting and told the organizer about Indivisible. She is now asking me to distill their guide down and present to the group at the next monthly meeting. I'm thinking of asking the Indivisible folks to put something together and host it on their site, since they will have consistent formatting and themes. I also want to ask for the guide itself to be updated with links to how to find your Local Groups and reminders that you don't need to read the whole thing before joining up with a group.

I've been posting occasional rallies and tools to my Indivisible group. I don't have a ton of time for this, but it's a start. I need to schedule an in-person meeting to divvy up responsibilities and plan our next steps.

I started reaching out to creators of various sites and tools when I see either room for improvement or an opportunity to pair up with another site. If you see similar opportunities for improvement, remember that as long as there's a contact button or Facebook page, you can do the same

New March: Fire the Fool

I got a FB message about a Rachel Maddow/Stephen Colbert effort called Fire the Fool: https://twitter.com/FIRE_THE_FOOL

I checked it out, and it's actually not associated with them, but it is legit. The organizers have publicly stated that they're not affiliated with any celebs.

They're holding a march on the National Mall in DC on Saturday, April 1st 2017 10:00am - 10:00pm. There are sister marches being planned in other cities.

Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/397831337233562/

http://www.firethefool.com/
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 12:55:34 PM by MonkeyJenga »

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #413 on: February 05, 2017, 12:57:51 PM »
you don't need to read the whole thing

For anyone here who didn't read the whole guide, I found these two tables from the guide handy references and reminders:

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #414 on: February 05, 2017, 01:02:50 PM »
I've been concerned about the tone and content of certain public statements by members of the executive branch. I think it has stepped beyond the bounds of acceptable standards for behavior. Would my best recourse be to contact my individual representatives (house and senate?) and ask them to consider censuring the individuals for their behavior? Is that tilting at windmills?

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #415 on: February 05, 2017, 05:38:17 PM »
I've been concerned about the tone and content of certain public statements by members of the executive branch. I think it has stepped beyond the bounds of acceptable standards for behavior. Would my best recourse be to contact my individual representatives (house and senate?) and ask them to consider censuring the individuals for their behavior? Is that tilting at windmills?

I think that you should follow your conscience and it is better to tilt at windmills than do nothing at all.
ETA: I think of it as encouraging certain people to grow spines, and supporting the people who have already done so.

Today I bought two subscriptions for Teen Vogue.

Are there truly people who "are not safe to speak out?" Other than Milo Yiannopolis who is physically threatened and kept from speaking at specific place

Yes, there are lots of people who feel it is not safe to speak out.  As you have mentioned names, I will point to Zoë Quinn, Brianna Wu, Anita Sarkeesian - who have received rape threats, death threats.  Plus the people who have been SWAT'd and doxxed. They've continued to speak out, but I'm sure that many others have not because they saw what might happen if they did.  I'd argue that there was an atmosphere created by language which made people feel safe in taking actions which the majority of North America would say are not indicative of the type of society they want to live in.

You also mentioned "Human Rights Tribunal that clamped right down on Mark Steyn".  Looking at this in Wikipedia (sources etc.) I see "The federal Canadian Human Rights Commission dismissed the Canadian Islamic Congress' complaint against Maclean's in June 2008".  There was a letter to the editor which indicated that we should be afraid of hateful language because it can lead to hateful actions. 

Given your chosen examples, I would suggest that perhaps this is not a welcoming thread for you.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 05:40:40 PM by plainjane »

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #416 on: February 05, 2017, 06:51:17 PM »
Two of my friends (in a red state) decided to go to the airport today and stand at international arrivals with a sign saying something along the lines of "welcome home, friends!" in Arabic and English. They had heard they were letting flights through with the people who had been temporarily blocked by the travel ban, and they wanted to make sure those people knew they were still welcomed as neighbors. I thought that was such a nice thing to do, yet still a defiant gesture against those who would prefer to wipe their feet on the Constitution.

Naturally, someone complained about their sign and airport security asked them to leave. :-/ 

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #417 on: February 05, 2017, 07:21:52 PM »

Given your chosen examples, I would suggest that perhaps this is not a welcoming thread for you.

I would like to throw in my vote toward encouraging Iris Lily to stick around.  I (and most of us here) may fall on a different part of the political spectrum than she does, but I feel that she has been quite thoughtful in her contributions to the conversation.

RosieTR

• Bristles
« Reply #418 on: February 06, 2017, 01:00:37 PM »
Anyone know where to find a schedule of what/who is getting voted on, which day(s)? I'd hate to make calls after a vote or even maybe the same day since I don't know how much message-checking the staffers are doing. Maybe it's not possible to know too much ahead of time?

Anyway, called about DeVos both Fri and this morning, but I don't want to let the Pruitt vote slip through the cracks. Or Sessions.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #419 on: February 06, 2017, 01:42:00 PM »
Anyone know where to find a schedule of what/who is getting voted on, which day(s)? I'd hate to make calls after a vote or even maybe the same day since I don't know how much message-checking the staffers are doing. Maybe it's not possible to know too much ahead of time?

Anyway, called about DeVos both Fri and this morning, but I don't want to let the Pruitt vote slip through the cracks. Or Sessions.

I was wondering about that also.  I just called both my senators about Devos, but figured that Sessions had to be after her so they could count on his vote.  Because of course he won't recuse himself. 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #420 on: February 06, 2017, 02:11:31 PM »
This is in Publisher - it's a homemade 1st Amendment Greeting card - to go with the idea above.

A tip from someone who works in print production :-)  If you share it as a PDF it will be usable by a lot more people. I don't have Publisher on my computer to give the exact instructions, but I think you just have to do File > Publish as PDF or something similar, it should be very simple.

Use free PDFCreator to print this picture to a PDF.

Or bring it into free LibreOffice Writer (word processor) as a picture, and then click the "Export as PDF" button.

LibreOffice is free open-source software for Linux, Mac and Windows. There is also a PortableApps.com version.

Anyone who needs software - let me know. There is probably a free open source software project I can tell you about that will get the job done well.

Also - for those very active in the internet political realm - eep a close eye on your computers' security. Would not surprise me in the least if people start getting hacked by malware and adware that undermines their ability to get the word out.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 02:32:42 PM by Tasty Pinecones »

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #421 on: February 06, 2017, 06:22:15 PM »
 I just disagree libertarian
 Not only should vanguard be exercising it's shareholder power in stop Exxon Mobil from wasting money on right wing wing thanks -  but it should also be ratcheting down the bloated executive salaries.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #422 on: February 06, 2017, 07:26:28 PM »
One of my current Republican Representatives has written this opinion piece: Trump can’t Twitter-shame his way to economic growth talking about the economic dangers of Trump's actions and policies if not checked.

I agreed very much, and publicly thanked the representative for having a spine.

If you have Republican representatives, I would suggest dropping off, faxing, or Facebooking them a copy of the editorial, and asking for them to also publically and consistently stand up for the current world order of open trade policies and free flow of capital that has made America a very rich country and helped raise millions worldwide out of poverty.

Republicans' pride them selves on being pro economic growth, hold them accountable to that.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #423 on: February 07, 2017, 03:16:20 PM »
Lots of protesters at Town Hall meeting of Congressional Republicans are causing the party to put a pause on outright repeal of the ACA

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/06/us/politics/obamacare-tom-price-trump.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #424 on: February 07, 2017, 03:51:47 PM »
Betsy DeVos was confirmed. This isn't actionable, just depressed. Sorry, MJ.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #425 on: February 07, 2017, 03:52:27 PM »
This has got to be my favorite resist t-shirt so far:

https://teechip.com/takecc#id=0&c=131313&sid=fruit-of-the-loom-cotton-t&s=front

I'm not really one to buy this sort of thing, but I may have to make an exception!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #426 on: February 07, 2017, 06:14:56 PM »
Invited over a new acquaintance who told me that she's a lifelong Democrat who voted Trump.  I want to know what made her make that choice.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #427 on: February 07, 2017, 07:39:19 PM »
I joined the #Resist Meetup for my country and shared with my Indivisible group. Thanks Joon!

You can find a local group here: https://www.meetup.com/pro/resist/

I told two people on OKCupid about Indivisible today. They started the conversation about politics, so it wasn't totally out of left field. But remember that you can tell people about it anywhere you are!

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #428 on: February 08, 2017, 07:12:58 AM »
Invited over a new acquaintance who told me that she's a lifelong Democrat who voted Trump.  I want to know what made her make that choice.

I'd love to know if she is happy with the actions thus far.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #429 on: February 08, 2017, 07:57:07 AM »
On Jan 30, 2017, the house of reps introduced House joint Resolution 48 "Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States providing that the rights extended by the Constitution are the rights of natural persons only."

While there's a lot of noise about Trump's administration, ultimately, our problem is that we've lost our representative democracy. We have 158 families controlling the representatives that are supposed to represent 320,000,000 of us. There are lots of pieces to fix - one of which is clearly legislating that the constitution applies to people and not corporations.  An amendment of this sort would kill the Citizen's United ruling, and walk us back to a political system where money != speech.

If you support this - PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF MERGATROID - contact your representative in the house of reps. Tell them to co-sponsor Joint House Resolution 48 (115th congress). Point out the other reps from their state and/or party who are already on board. ((actually all but one are Dems - who's the rockstar republican here? That's right - the badass out of the shallow south - Rep. Jones, Walter B., Jr. [R-NC-3]) You can find the names of the bill's co-sponsors here).

Here's what I sent to my representative:

Dear Ms. ---,

I'm a supportive constituent registered to vote in (your district). While everyone is battling over the latest oddity from the Trump administration, please take a step back and recognize that we are where we are because our privately funded two party system. This system has given rise to corporate personhood. I'm 100% against corporations (including PACs) being given the same rights under the constitution as citizens.

Please - join 5 of your California colleagues and sponsor House Joint Resolution 48. ( https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-joint-resolution/48/ )

"H.J.Res.48 - Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States providing that the rights extended by the Constitution are the rights of natural persons only."

Already on board from CA are:

Rep. Takano, Mark [D-CA-41]
Rep. Lee, Barbara [D-CA-13]
Rep. Khanna, Ro [D-CA-17]
Rep. Lieu, Ted [D-CA-33]
Rep. Huffman, Jared [D-CA-2]

PLEASE - even as you deal with the latest developments from the current administration, PLEASE do all you can to FIX THE SYSTEM. Please co-sponsor joint resolution 48, and support any and all efforts to end this privately funded political system. Stopping corporate personhood (and the idea that $ is speech) is a start. There's much more to do. But let's start with Res 48.

I'm rooting for you!

Malaysia41

Here's more info on the amendment: https://movetoamend.org/amendment
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 01:28:11 PM by Malaysia41 »

deadlymonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #430 on: February 08, 2017, 08:11:32 AM »
On Jan 30, 2017, the house of reps introduced House Resolution 48 "Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States providing that the rights extended by the Constitution are the rights of natural persons only."

While there's a lot of noise about Trump's administration, ultimately, our problem is that we've lost our representative democracy. We have 158 families controlling the representatives that are supposed to represent 320,000,000 of us. There are lots of pieces to fix - one of which is clearly legislating that the constitution applies to people and not corporations.  An amendment of this sort would kill the Citizen's United ruling, and walk us back to a political system where money != speech.

If you are support this this - PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF MERGATROID - contact your representative in the house of reps. Tell them to co-sponsor Resolution 48. Point out the other reps from their state and/or party who are already on board. ((actually all but one are Dems - who's the rockstar republican here? That's right - the badass out of the shallow south - Rep. Jones, Walter B., Jr. [R-NC-3]) You can find the names of the bill's co-sponsors here).

Dear Ms. ---,

I'm a supportive constituent registered to vote in (your district). While everyone is battling over the latest oddity from the Trump administration, please take a step back and recognize that we are where we are because our privately funded two party system. This system has given rise to corporate personhood. I'm 100% against corporations (including PACs) being given the same rights under the constitution as citizens.

Please - join 5 of your California colleagues and sponsor House Joint Resolution 48. ( https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-joint-resolution/48/ )

"H.J.Res.48 - Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States providing that the rights extended by the Constitution are the rights of natural persons only."

Rep. Lieu, Ted [D-CA-33]

PLEASE - even as you deal with the latest developments from the current administration, PLEASE do all you can to FIX THE SYSTEM. Please co-sponsor joint resolution 48, and support any and all efforts to end this privately funded political system. Stopping corporate personhood (and the idea that $ is speech) is a start. There's much more to do. But let's start with Res 48.

I'm rooting for you!

Malaysia41

edited your letter and sent it to my congressman.  He is an R, but has submitted bills in the past forcing term limits and eliminating lawmakers pay when they don't get a budget passed (all bills that will never go anywhere), so I hope this is up his alley.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #431 on: February 08, 2017, 08:43:29 AM »

I'd love to know if she is happy with the actions thus far.

Me too.  I don't know whether politics will come up this time, but if they do, I will ask her, since she seems open to conversation.   

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #432 on: February 08, 2017, 08:46:13 AM »
On Jan 30, 2017, the house of reps introduced House Resolution 48 "Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States providing that the rights extended by the Constitution are the rights of natural persons only."

If you are support this this - PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF MERGATROID - contact your representative in the house of reps. Tell them to co-sponsor Resolution 48. Point out the other reps from their state and/or party who are already on board. ((actually all but one are Dems - who's the rockstar republican here? That's right - the badass out of the shallow south - Rep. Jones, Walter B., Jr. [R-NC-3]) You can find the names of the bill's co-sponsors here).

Dear Ms. ---,

Rep. Lieu, Ted [D-CA-33]

I'm rooting for you!

Malaysia41

Done! I went to school with my rep's daughter so I added a personal touch to the message. :)

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #433 on: February 08, 2017, 11:34:52 AM »

I think that you should follow your conscience and it is better to tilt at windmills than do nothing at all.
ETA: I think of it as encouraging certain people to grow spines, and supporting the people who have already done so.

Today I bought two subscriptions for Teen Vogue.

Are there truly people who "are not safe to speak out?" Other than Milo Yiannopolis who is physically threatened and kept from speaking at specific place

Yes, there are lots of people who feel it is not safe to speak out.  As you have mentioned names, I will point to Zoë Quinn, Brianna Wu, Anita Sarkeesian - who have received rape threats, death threats.  Plus the people who have been SWAT'd and doxxed. They've continued to speak out, but I'm sure that many others have not because they saw what might happen if they did.  I'd argue that there was an atmosphere created by language which made people feel safe in taking actions which the majority of North America would say are not indicative of the type of society they want to live in.

You also mentioned "Human Rights Tribunal that clamped right down on Mark Steyn".  Looking at this in Wikipedia (sources etc.) I see "The federal Canadian Human Rights Commission dismissed the Canadian Islamic Congress' complaint against Maclean's in June 2008".  There was a letter to the editor which indicated that we should be afraid of hateful language because it can lead to hateful actions. 

Dude, I dont shrink from "not ...welcoming" online environments, but thanks for your concern.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #434 on: February 08, 2017, 11:52:46 AM »

Dear Ms. ---,

Rep. Lieu, Ted [D-CA-33]

I'm rooting for you!

Malaysia41

Done - I sent it to my NC Republican rep.  Thanks for the info. 

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #435 on: February 08, 2017, 12:39:52 PM »
Indivisible is providing calling scrips on some issues now. https://www.indivisibleguide.com/resources-2/2017/2/6/scripts

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #436 on: February 08, 2017, 01:12:26 PM »
Woke up this morning to the news that Nordstrom has dropped Ivanka Trump's fashion line from their clothing options available for sale. Hard to know whether the reason for the decision is fact or alternative fact - poor sales, poor sales as a result of boycotts, or if it is just a crap product.

Got me thinking that of all the barbs and jabs directed at your President, hitting him financially is the only real way to hurt this guy. And there is also nothing worse for a captain of industry to be labelled with the adjective "disgraced former businessman..."

I would expect to see more problems with the Trump retail brands over the coming months as people begin to question their purchasing choices further.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #437 on: February 08, 2017, 03:38:00 PM »
Woke up this morning to the news that Nordstrom has dropped Ivanka Trump's fashion line from their clothing options available for sale. Hard to know whether the reason for the decision is fact or alternative fact - poor sales, poor sales as a result of boycotts, or if it is just a crap product.

Got me thinking that of all the barbs and jabs directed at your President, hitting him financially is the only real way to hurt this guy. And there is also nothing worse for a captain of industry to be labelled with the adjective "disgraced former businessman..."

I would expect to see more problems with the Trump retail brands over the coming months as people begin to question their purchasing choices further.
My Trump voting friend just ordered her 3rd case of Trump wine, so there is that side as well, shoring up the sales.

To keep this focused of acts of resistance, I did NOT order a case of Trump wine today. Haha.  But
I will probably drink a glass of it this evening at the home of my friend.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 06:09:01 PM by iris lily »

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #438 on: February 08, 2017, 04:25:14 PM »

Dear Ms. ---,

Rep. Lieu, Ted [D-CA-33]

I'm rooting for you!

Malaysia41

Done! Thank you for providing the basic letter, I adjusted it to fit my situation/rep and sent it off.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 06:12:15 PM by meerkat »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #439 on: February 08, 2017, 04:48:48 PM »
I just emailed my senators and complained about the whole Elizabeth Warren situation.  I'm disgusted.

PepperPeter

• Stubble
« Reply #440 on: February 09, 2017, 11:16:58 AM »

Dear Ms. ---,

Rep. Lieu, Ted [D-CA-33]

I'm rooting for you!

Malaysia41

Done! Thank you for providing the basic letter, I adjusted it to fit my situation/rep and sent it off.

Here's the current list of co-sponsors as of this morning:

Rep. McCollum, Betty [D-MN-4]
Rep. Cartwright, Matt [D-PA-17]
Rep. Ellison, Keith [D-MN-5]
Rep. Pocan, Mark [D-WI-2]
Rep. Blumenauer, Earl [D-OR-3]
Rep. DeFazio, Peter A. [D-OR-4]
Rep. O'Rourke, Beto [D-TX-16]
Rep. Slaughter, Louise McIntosh [D-NY-25]
Rep. Grijalva, Raul M. [D-AZ-3]
Rep. Conyers, John, Jr. [D-MI-13]
Rep. Engel, Eliot L. [D-NY-16]
Rep. Tonko, Paul [D-NY-20]
Rep. Raskin, Jamie [D-MD-8]
Rep. Capuano, Michael E. [D-MA-7]
Rep. Lieu, Ted [D-CA-33]
Rep. Norcross, Donald [D-NJ-1]
Rep. Jones, Walter B., Jr. [R-NC-3]
Rep. Beyer, Donald S., Jr. [D-VA-8]
Rep. Serrano, Jose E. [D-NY-15]   
Rep. Norton, Eleanor Holmes [D-DC-At Large]

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #441 on: February 09, 2017, 11:19:21 AM »
Yay! My rep joined! I feel like it was because of me! :D

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #442 on: February 09, 2017, 01:31:42 PM »
Awesome guys! Note: it is 'house joint resolution 48 (out of the 115th congress).

Pointing that out to make sure your reference is precise. I fixed my OP on the call to action, but thought I should point it out.

Also you can register on congress.gov and sign up for updates on the resolution

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #443 on: February 09, 2017, 02:00:50 PM »
I just called the ethics hotline to complain about Conway using her position as a federal employee to tell people to buy Ivanka trump products:

202-482-9300 and press 5 to leave a message

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #444 on: February 09, 2017, 02:17:13 PM »
Don't just concentrate on the national stage... get educated about and involved in your local political scene. To see why this is important, read the following article:
http://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2016/07/19/gerrymandering-republicans-redmap

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #445 on: February 09, 2017, 03:10:02 PM »
I'm going to a postcard writing gathering tonight, so I'm going to include a letter about house joint resolution 48 as well. Two representatives from Oregon have already cosponsored, but not MY representative. He's a democrat, but not the most liberal democrat.

What else should I write about? It's not there are not enough issues abounding, it's just that I live in Oregon. My senators are dong what I want them to do, the Representatives mostly are too.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #446 on: February 09, 2017, 05:48:37 PM »
Emailed state senate education committee to oppose stripping climate change from education standards.

YAY, Idaho's not in enough of a time warp. Let's hobble our kids then wonder why they can't get jobs.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #447 on: February 09, 2017, 06:15:56 PM »
A go fund me to try to get our senator to have a town hall. He's not had one since 2010. If we can get 8k for the full page, it might make an impression. Sadly, we've got two senators and both are ass hats.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #448 on: February 09, 2017, 06:39:13 PM »
Freckles, you can thank your reps for doing what you want them to do. They need that positive feedback to cancel out the negative feedback they are surely getting from R's.

A go fund me to try to get our senator to have a town hall. He's not had one since 2010. If we can get 8k for the full page, it might make an impression. Sadly, we've got two senators and both are ass hats.

Is there a way to get press around the GoFundMe? And if someone reports on GFM, they will be more likely to report on the ad itself when it goes live, and future attempts to call out your reps.

Does the NC Indivisible team have a media list going?

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #449 on: February 09, 2017, 07:10:31 PM »
Freckles, you can thank your reps for doing what you want them to do. They need that positive feedback to cancel out the negative feedback they are surely getting from R's.

Is there a way to get press around the GoFundMe? And if someone reports on GFM, they will be more likely to report on the ad itself when it goes live, and future attempts to call out your reps.

Does the NC Indivisible team have a media list going?

Good idea. I'm asking around. Some of the admins have local media contacts, so hopefully we can put them on notice so they ca report on it and give us a little extra boost.