Author Topic: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance - VICTORY!  (Read 290841 times)

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
Re: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance
« Reply #150 on: January 17, 2017, 11:51:51 AM »
Hi ladies! We're getting off track of the original purpose of this thread. Feel free to continue the discussion around the women's march in another thread.

Thanks.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #151 on: January 17, 2017, 12:07:40 PM »
Hey SisX I think it's awesome that you are engaging with this -- it's important that we do this!

I understand the need and desire to make all women feel included, but again that should be a given. The fact that it's not because of historical trends infuriates me. Of course these women are included because they are women, and their problems are a problem for all of us. Non-straight, white, CIS women, or poor women, don't, in my understanding, necessarily have specialized problems, it's more that the problems all women have are amplified. All women face workplace discrimination, but some more than others. All women fear rape, but some are more likely to experience it than others, etc. Feel free to tell me how I'm wrong about this, though, because it might just be me missing something and I'm open to that possibility.

I definitely can't speak for women of color and other groups, but as someone who grew up quite poor (for America), I can attest to having a different set of a problems as a poor white woman (20 years ago) compared to what I face as a middle-class white woman (nowadays). Like, I can remember being treated like trash by a doctor when I was in school, and quite poor, until he realized that I went to a fancy college. Then he treated me awesome. That kind of thing never happens to me now that I present as middle class.

A few more examples: Sandra Bland faced problems that middle-class white women just don't face. Ever. Women in wheelchairs also face problems that able-bodied women have no idea about. Trans women -- especially trans women of color -- face INCREDIBLE amounts of random persecution and violence that just don't typically enter into a middle-of-the-road white woman's life. Muslim women face discrimination that I would have no way of knowing about unless I seek out their stories, unless I welcome their perspective into mine.

None of the oppressive systems we have operate in a vacuum -- they interact and multiply. None of them exist separate from each other in any way. It's not possible to say, well this bad treatment was because of sexism, this other bit was because of racism, and this other bit because of classism.

Past progressive movements, even when they were successful, still tended to exclude many perspectives. The suffragists ignored black feminists; the anti-war movement oppressed women terribly; the Civil Rights movement largely shut black women out of its leadership. Black Lives Matter is run by black women, who in my experience have the best understanding of how different forms of oppression intersect on individual lives, but even BLM has been criticized for paying more attention to police brutality against black men than black women.

All of this is to say that none of this is simple, but I believe it's worth struggling with, because, to me, the point of feminism is that everyone is basically OK, basically has what they need in this life. If we focus only on specifically what we think of as "women's issues" -- which I would maintain is mostly about "white women's issues" -- then we are leaving a lot of people out of our movement.

It seems counter-intuitive to some, but I truly believe that calling out all the different perspectives of women who face different challenges is the thing that makes our movement MORE inclusive. It's not divisive to say -- welcome, black women! Welcome, Muslim women! Welcome, disabled women, LGBT folks, Asian women, Latinas, everyone. It's not divisive to welcome people by name into the movement to liberate women. It's the opposite of divisive.

ETA:
Must've cross-posted with you, MJ. Happy to follow to another thread if anyone else wants to talk about this more.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 12:09:39 PM by madgeylou »

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #152 on: January 17, 2017, 12:35:05 PM »
Hi ladies! We're getting off track of the original purpose of this thread. Feel free to continue the discussion around the women's march in another thread.

Thanks.

OK! My response is here. I don't necessarily want to continue the conversation there, but I thought a clarification was in order.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #153 on: January 18, 2017, 02:55:25 PM »
I volunteered to make cookies for an anti-inaugural fundraiser event on the 20th that is raising money for Planned Parenthood, ACLU, Southern Poverty Law Center, etc. I wanted to do *something* this weekend since I can't go and march (for medical reasons). I am really bummed and having to restrain myself from going to the march anyway, because I know it would not turn out well for me.

I might try to go to De Blasio's rally tomorrow at Columbus Circle. (Is anyone else going?)  I'm going to a fundraiser at 7:30 but the rally is at 6 so I could stop by...

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #154 on: January 18, 2017, 07:39:27 PM »
Posting in case you suggest actions for internationals

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #155 on: January 18, 2017, 09:08:07 PM »

If you scroll down to the bottom of this page, you'll see a list of international sister marches!
https://www.womensmarch.com/sisters

MoonLiteNite

• Bristles
« Reply #156 on: January 19, 2017, 07:03:26 AM »
I do this one yearly for the last 4 years.
i own my house, no payments... but i still have to slave away for 3 weeks every year or someone with a gun will remove me from my property :(

MoonLiteNite

• Bristles
« Reply #157 on: January 19, 2017, 07:06:28 AM »
When someone says we should pay more in taxes to "help each other" i now give them this....

https://www.pay.gov/public/form/start/23779454

Anyone can donate money to the government according to many people government is best form of charity....

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #158 on: January 19, 2017, 08:15:40 AM »
i own my house, no payments... but i still have to slave away for 3 weeks every year or someone with a gun will remove me from my property :(

Maybe they'll allow you to stop paying your property taxes, if you'll agree to start paying for the water, sewer, and roads that lead to and from your house yourself.

MoonLiteNite

• Bristles
« Reply #159 on: January 21, 2017, 05:18:57 AM »

Maybe they'll allow you to stop paying your property taxes, if you'll agree to start paying for the water, sewer, and roads that lead to and from your house yourself.

All those services are provided by the city run utility monopoly.
If i could, i would gladly accept the deal you just provided. Sadly i can't, if i tried someone would come into my house and lock me in a cage after a few years.

I like to keep wasted spending to to a very low number, even more so on services i do not wish to have. I mean it would be crazy if you HAD to buy 200 cable TV channels, or HAVE to buy a huge truck.
To me having to BUY EMS service, and power, and city water is just crazy. I prefer to not buy those services, but i have to :(
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 05:24:19 AM by MoonLiteNite »

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #160 on: January 21, 2017, 05:55:00 AM »
It's the cost of living in civilization. Get over it and move on to real issues that matter.

Boxcat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #161 on: January 21, 2017, 06:11:20 AM »

All those services are provided by the city run utility monopoly.
If i could, i would gladly accept the deal you just provided. Sadly i can't, if i tried someone would come into my house and lock me in a cage after a few years.

I like to keep wasted spending to to a very low number, even more so on services i do not wish to have. I mean it would be crazy if you HAD to buy 200 cable TV channels, or HAVE to buy a huge truck.
To me having to BUY EMS service, and power, and city water is just crazy. I prefer to not buy those services, but i have to :(
This is a problem for the Tiny House Movement as well, but with sq. footage regulations/hookups originally meant to keep people from living in slums which now just help to drive these absurd housing bubbles.

Indio

• Bristles
« Reply #162 on: January 21, 2017, 06:26:18 AM »
Here's an idea for an act of political resistance that doesn't require any significant physical energy and was started moments after the inauguration.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/immediately-release-donald-trumps-full-tax-returns-all-information-needed-verify-emoluments-clause-compliance

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #163 on: January 21, 2017, 06:27:34 AM »
Hey guys, this is getting off-topic.

Who is going to a march today? I'm going in NYC.

Some White House petitions that you can sign today, since most people are otherwise occupied:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/divest-or-put-blind-trust-all-presidents-business-and-financial-assets

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/immediately-release-donald-trumps-full-tax-returns-all-information-needed-verify-emoluments-clause-compliance

ETA: Great minds, Indio! I put the blind trust petition first, since the tax returns petition has already crossed the minimum needed for an official response.

Reminder that everyone can also easily share these on Facebook, Twitter, your personal journals, etc.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 06:30:11 AM by MonkeyJenga »

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #164 on: January 21, 2017, 06:32:39 AM »

If you scroll down to the bottom of this page, you'll see a list of international sister marches!
https://www.womensmarch.com/sisters
Thank you for this: I found a "march" (a gathering on a local beach) very near me and will be going.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #165 on: January 21, 2017, 07:14:26 AM »
Hey guys, this is getting off-topic.

Who is going to a march today? I'm going in NYC.

Some White House petitions that you can sign today, since most people are otherwise occupied:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/divest-or-put-blind-trust-all-presidents-business-and-financial-assets

Thanks, MJ. Signed and shared.

I have a work conflict so I can't march today. I did sponsor a marcher to travel from my area to DC. Thank you to everyone who is marching today.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #166 on: January 21, 2017, 07:44:06 AM »
The National Education Association has a petition to sign opposing Betsy DeVos for Secretary of Education. When you sign it also sends an email to your Senators. The site may also give you link to another petition opposing Jeff Sessions as Attorney General.

http://edadvocacy.nea.org/nea/app/write-a-letter?5&engagementId=264253

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #167 on: January 21, 2017, 04:02:56 PM »
Thanks for the petitions. I'll check if any are open globally when I get to a computer.

I am so proud of all the people around the world marching today. First thing I did when I got internet access was to look up the success and start public crying

packlawyer04

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #168 on: January 21, 2017, 04:36:46 PM »
It's the cost of living in civilization. Get over it and move on to real issues that matter.

Agreed, like which bathroom someone can use.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #169 on: January 21, 2017, 05:35:26 PM »
I went to my march today! We had a huge turnout! It was a fantastic experience, lots of amazing women and the folks who support them. I feel much more positive and energized for what needs to be done in the coming years.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #170 on: January 21, 2017, 06:24:14 PM »
I went to my march today! We had a huge turnout! It was a fantastic experience, lots of amazing women and the folks who support them. I feel much more positive and energized for what needs to be done in the coming years.

:)

NYC was crazy. I couldn't get out through the main subway exit because so many people were trying to go through. And that was just underground! There were people on bridges and rooftops, inside second-story Barnes and Noble and Apple stores pressing signs against the windows.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 09:17:17 AM by MonkeyJenga »

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #171 on: January 21, 2017, 09:58:21 PM »
I went. I marched. So did the Demon Child. We had a sign (albeit a small one, since I'd forgotten that I gave away the stash of poster board I unearthed a while ago!). It took two hours just waiting for the bus, then another hour on the bus. We arrived in plenty of time for the first bus, but the transit center was more full than I've ever seen it! We passed the time by talking with a woman who was excited to be going to her first protest. She's 78. So many people commented on how multi-generational this was.

The energy was positive. People were excited and fired up, but in a good way. So many pink hats. I did not have one, but hoped to make up for it by wearing my Notorious RBG shirt, my grandmother's Navy jacket, and my Harley Quinn underwear.*

It was a great march, but I know it was symbolic. Wanting to do more. Signed those petitions, and still wanting to do more.

*The world had better watch. out. the day I decide I need to wear both my Harley Quinn underwear and my shark socks.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #172 on: January 21, 2017, 10:26:51 PM »
It was a great march, but I know it was symbolic. Wanting to do more. Signed those petitions, and still wanting to do more.

Ahem.

RUN FOR OFFICE. YES, YOU.

“Resistance to Trump cannot and should not be led by a political class that proved too ineffectual and too complacent to stop his rise. The Republican Party cannot be impeached, reasoned, shamed, or mocked out of existence. The Democrats may put forward a candidate capable of winning the presidency in 2020. They will never put forward a candidate capable of fully undoing the damage we will see done to the country or of advancing left-of-center priorities in the coming years alone. If you are angry, you are needed. Your voices must be heard. Your talents are demanded. Don’t sit on the sidelines. Don’t despair. Don’t boo. Run.”

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/cover_story/2017/01/how_to_run_for_office.html

Collection of resources for people running for office. Candidate trainings, books, campaign services and software (like a door-knocking app that optimizes routes). http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2017/01/a_guide_to_resources_for_running_for_office.html

Free online training for Democrats, if you’re already running for a specific race: http://www.traindemocrats.org/

I Ran for Office and Won: Four first-time candidates explain how. http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2017/01/i_ran_for_office_and_won_here_s_how.html

Salary information for state legislatures: https://ballotpedia.org/Comparison_of_state_legislative_salaries

Even if elected office isn't your thing, you can:

Join an Indivisible group. Facebook link here, they can direct you to a more specific sub-group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/245141049251070/

Encourage other people to run. Women in particular tend to think they're not qualified, but will consider it if someone recommends them. Women win elections at the same rates as men! She Should Run lets you directly ask a woman to run for office: http://www.sheshouldrun.org/ask_a_woman_to_run_for_office

Donate! ACLU, Planned Parenthood, NRDC, Southern Poverty Law Center, NAACP, the list of organizations that need help right now is endless.

Find a local group, or a chapter of one of the above orgs, to volunteer with.

Follow the Small Daily Acts thread: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/small-daily-acts-of-political-resistance/

Find action items to add to the above thread! Include clear instructions and a script.

If you prefer daily/weekly action items emailed to you, sign up with one of these sites:

www.flippable.org
www.wall-of-us.or

(YES I KNOW RUNNING FOR OFFICE ISN'T A SMALL DAILY ACT.)

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #173 on: January 22, 2017, 06:17:12 AM »
"RUN FOR OFFICE"

Working on it. Sadly, there aren't 30,000 of you, MJ, or I'd have my state senate/house seat already :P.

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #174 on: January 22, 2017, 06:23:45 AM »
Just found this great idea. Following!  Thanks MJ!

overwhelmed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #175 on: January 22, 2017, 07:21:43 AM »
Not sure this falls under resistance specifically but it is action. Here is a link from yesterday's march

https://www.womensmarch.com/100/

If you would like to call your elected officials in Washington, DC (202) 224-3121

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #176 on: January 22, 2017, 08:08:47 AM »
An additional way to get involved:

Introduce a local anti-corruption act. The group Represent Us won its first state-wide victory in 2016, with South Dakota passing the Government Accountability and Anti-Corruption Act, a measure that will increase transparency and accountability. There have also been local wins in cities in Oregon, Pennsylvania, Illinois, and California.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RepresentUs/?pnref=about.overview
Volunteer: http://volunteer.represent.us/
Recent Wins: https://represent.us/our-wins/

Not sure this falls under resistance specifically but it is action. Here is a link from yesterday's march

https://www.womensmarch.com/100/

If you would like to call your elected officials in Washington, DC (202) 224-3121

Action is resistance!

Hi fallstoclimb!

Pooperman, it's a shame there aren't 30,000 of you! For anyone who doesn't know, this guy started TWO Indivisible groups, and is going to run for office in North Carolina. All while being an introvert.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 09:26:09 PM by MonkeyJenga »

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #177 on: January 22, 2017, 11:14:18 AM »
Introduce a local anti-corruption act.
I was thinking about something similar when reading about the new fiduciary rule for investment advisers. Basically it binds them into doing what is best for their client (thus barring them from recommending what will make them the biggest commissions). What if we got a similar rule/law passed for our legislatures?

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #178 on: January 22, 2017, 11:30:16 AM »
I was thinking about something similar when reading about the new fiduciary rule for investment advisers. Basically it binds them into doing what is best for their client (thus barring them from recommending what will make them the biggest commissions). What if we got a similar rule/law passed for our legislatures?

Why do you think  legislators currently DO NOT take action for the "best"  of their constituents? Just because you disagree with it?

I often disagree with the actions of my Democratic senator, but I bet you would agree with them ?it is called politics. We as a body politic cannot agree on a basic set of measures to define " best" so your proposal seems naive to me.

Now I suppose the OP will be along to tell us to stop talking and get back to topc.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 11:32:20 AM by iris lily »

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #179 on: January 22, 2017, 11:39:53 AM »

Why do you think  legislators currently DO NOT take action for the "best"  of their constituents? Just because you disagree with it?

I think a lot of legislators take action based on

1. What is best for them personally
2. What is best for their wealthy and/or corporate donors
3. What is most likely to get them rewarded by higher-ups in the party
etc.

Not what is best for their constituents.

There is a real world out there, with real facts, and real consequences. Some things are true and some are not. Some things are right and some are wrong. It's not a football game where you're rooting for your team to win and there are no real consequences.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #180 on: January 22, 2017, 12:43:44 PM »

I think a lot of legislators take action based on

1. What is best for them personally
2. What is best for their wealthy and/or corporate donors
3. What is most likely to get them rewarded by higher-ups in the party
etc.

Not what is best for their constituents.

There is a real world out there, with real facts, and real consequences. Some things are true and some are not. Some things are right and some are wrong. It's not a football game where you're rooting for your team to win and there are no real consequences.

Ok, take for example the Right To Work lssue bubbling in our state. It basically relieves workers in union shops from paying union dues. Studies on both sides of the issue  demonstrate their side benefits the most workers. When we cant agree on a basic measure or fact, how can we expect the legislator to choose the best course to benefit The People?

In my city as in others, public funding of sports stAdiums is a big issue. Studies show people benefit from these stadiums. To what extent? What is the bottom line economic proof that this is worth tax dollars? There is no single study, various studies show various results. Again, no clear path for the politician to define what is best for his monolithic constituent.

You must have a clear opinion on NAFTA. Is it clearly right or wrong?

What about the Dakota pipeline, right or wrong?

You must have a clear opinion on illegal immigration. right, or wrong?

I distrust opinions that claim to benefit all people or even The People.  They seem to me to benefit some but people not all, and that is inevitable in any political action. Inevitable. Not sneaky or self serving.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 01:22:58 PM by iris lily »

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #181 on: January 22, 2017, 01:59:07 PM »
We have weekends, workplace safety standards, child labor laws, healthcare, and the family leave act largely because of unions. I think it's pretty clear that from a broad perspective, they have been a net good influence on America and the world. Shit, when people are all like "man, we need to go back to when someone with a manufacturing job could support a family," how do we think that happened? IT WAS UNIONS.

The issues you are talking about are all complex. That doesn't mean that there isn't any way to measure what worked and what didn't, and make decisions on that basis.

Progressives tend to want to make those decisions based on the number and relative wealth of the people being served. We want more people, who currently have less, to end up with more. Republicans -- at least many/most of the ones in office now -- seem to want to make those decisions based on people who have a lot currently being able to keep it and/or get more.

The administration right now CLEARLY wants to strip the government down for parts and line their pockets. I mean, most politicians do this to some extent, but this administration is really taking it to a new level.

That's why we need to stay informed and call our representatives every single day to let them know that we are not down with kleptocracy.

(Tried to get it back on topic for ya there, MJ!)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 02:04:33 PM by madgeylou »

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #182 on: January 22, 2017, 02:26:22 PM »
I think everybody needs to look to the left, to the right, and at themselves and ask, "who would make a good public servant?"

If you know somebody whom you think shows great leadership potential-- smart, successful, and socially responsible--  plant that seed.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #183 on: January 22, 2017, 02:47:25 PM »
Appreciating the remarks of IrisLily, DollarSlice and Madgeylou that address DollarSlice's suggestion for an anti-corruption act to require legislators to legislate in their constituents' interest. 

If anyone wants to further discuss the implications of this proposal, I invite you to carry them to the new Politics Octagon thread.  I created that as a place to have wider discussions outside of a focused thread.  Will try to keep my own views on DollarSlice's proposal to that thread if anyone goes there.

No idea if this helpful, just making the offer.  I like the focused nature of this thread and want to preserve it.  Carry on.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #184 on: January 22, 2017, 04:20:06 PM »
After we'd been marching in the Portland rain for awhile yesterday. The whole thing was fantastic!

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #185 on: January 22, 2017, 06:01:13 PM »
Aw jeez, y'all are so cute I almost can't stand it :D

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #186 on: January 22, 2017, 06:16:10 PM »
Anyone with an hour to spare right now can listen in on a call hosted by MoveOn.org and Indivisible.

You can listen to the call via webstream starting at 8 p.m. ET (7 CT/6 MT/5 PT) today at this link: https://video.teleforumonline.com/video/streaming.php?client=13043

Or by dialing 855-808-5137 PIN: 113043 at 8 p.m. ET (7 CT/6 MT/5 PT) today.

For the slideshow: https://act.moveon.org/survey/indivisible/

llorona

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #187 on: January 22, 2017, 08:18:38 PM »
@MonkeyJenga: Thank you for posting the info about the MoveOn.org and Indivisible webinar. I'm not seeing the slides, but I received an email from them saying that this video summarizes their plan: https://www.facebook.com/moveon/videos/10154081946905493/

Really excited to report that a neighbor has started a grassroots activist group! First meeting is next month.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #188 on: January 22, 2017, 08:22:09 PM »
Awesome, llorona! Let us know how the meeting goes.

Groups are organizing for #ResistTrumpTuesdays. This Tuesday, Jan 24, there are events all across the country to pressure Senators to reject Trump's Cabinet picks. The NY event is during lunch to give the most people the option to attend, which is probably true in many places.

Go here to find a local event: https://act.moveon.org/event/stop_trumps_swamp_cabinet/search/

MEJG

• Bristles
« Reply #189 on: January 23, 2017, 04:29:02 AM »
Just found this: https://swingleft.org/. Not sure if it's been posted before.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #190 on: January 23, 2017, 08:08:04 AM »
11,000 marched on Saturday in the relatively small city of Ann Arbor.

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2017/01/more_than_6000_flood_streets_o.html

deadlymonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #191 on: January 23, 2017, 11:29:33 AM »
quick question:  My wife has been trying to call Paul Ryan's office all day.  Every time she gets an immediate "This call cannot be completed."  Is that because his phones are swamped or some other reason?  She has the correct number.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #192 on: January 23, 2017, 11:32:54 AM »
quick question:  My wife has been trying to call Paul Ryan's office all day.  Every time she gets an immediate "This call cannot be completed."  Is that because his phones are swamped or some other reason?  She has the correct number.

Looks like Paul Ryan still doesn't want to let his constituents' voices be heard. From the 16th:

I'll be going to a march in NYC!

Paul Ryan has reportedly stopped taking calls, stopped taking faxes, and stopped accepting office visitors with petitions.

Some folks are sending postcards and letters to his home address to tell him NO to defunding Planned Parenthood, NO to repealing Affordable Care Act, and NO to privatizing Medicare.

Paul Ryan
700 Saint Lawrence Ave
 Janesville, WI
 53545-4040

Also call your congressional representatives and senators! Even Democrats.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #193 on: January 23, 2017, 11:45:49 AM »
Call Ur Senator and ask them not to confirm Betsy DeVos as Secretary of Education.
1. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2017/01/20/the-ethics-review-for-trumps-education-pick-betsy-devos-is-complete-clearing-the-way-for-a-confirmation-vote/?utm_term=.a4982065c3ea Her ethics vetting is not yet complete
2. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2017/01/19/from-start-to-finish-the-devos-education-confirmation-hearing-was-rather-remarkable/?utm_term=.7fc0d509c596 She refuses to support equal accountability for any school receiving Federal Funding (like, religious schools and charters). Not a great use of our tax dollars.
3.  (Same ref as 2) She also seems unclear about Federal Civil Rights laws requiring schools to serve students with disabilities.

Your phone call may differ, I went with
Senator, my name is $$$, and I'm a constituent of yours from %%%. I'm calling to urge you not to confirm Betsy DeVos as Secretary of Education. Her ethics assessment is incomplete, she doesn't agree that all schools receiving taxpayer funds should be held accountable to the same performance and assessment standards, and she doesn't seem to understand or support civil rights laws regarding the requirement for schools to serve students with disabilities. Please vote NO on confirming Betsy DeVos.

PS: How do I make a pretty link?

Edited for typos, darn it!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 02:55:28 PM by jeninco »

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #195 on: January 23, 2017, 01:11:46 PM »
When someone says we should pay more in taxes to "help each other" i now give them this....

There's charity, and then there's charity at gunpoint. One is admirable and the other is just doing what you have to do to avoid prison.

"knock knock... hello I'm taking donations for the Red Cross, would you like to contribute? Oh great thank you for the $20!"
vs.
::kicks down door:: "GIVE ME MONEY FOR THE RED CROSS OR I'LL SHOOT YOU"

I don't think one gets moral credit for forcing other people to "donate" via taxation, or using the government as a proxy to do the same.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #196 on: January 23, 2017, 01:22:39 PM »

The easiest way is to quote a "pretty" link someone else has posted and you'll see the code.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #197 on: January 23, 2017, 01:31:18 PM »

The easiest way is to quote a "pretty" link someone else has posted and you'll see the code.

[ url = http://google.com ] I'm a pretty link! [ / url ]

^^ Take out all the spaces between the square brackets and you're good! Replace the webpage and title as you see fit. :)

I'm a pretty link!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #198 on: January 23, 2017, 02:56:13 PM »

[ url = http://google.com ] I'm a pretty link! [ / url ]

^^ Take out all the spaces between the square brackets and you're good! Replace the webpage and title as you see fit. :)

I'm a pretty link!

Thanks so much! I promise the next one will look nicer!

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #199 on: January 23, 2017, 05:34:02 PM »
"RUN FOR OFFICE"

Working on it. Sadly, there aren't 30,000 of you, MJ, or I'd have my state senate/house seat already :P.

I'm impressed!  What district and seat are you running for?  I'm in Raleigh.

I called/emailed my US congressman, state congressman and state senator to get their schedules for town halls.  I intend to go to as many as possible and ask them about specific votes.  I wish there was a site that had voting records on bills in layman's terms, I've bookmarked the sites for determining how your representative voted, but it is hard to sift though all the bills. 

I also signed the whitehouse.gov release Trump's tax return petition, but I truly think no matter how high the number gets the only way we'd see his tax return is if someone leaks it to Wikileaks.