Author Topic: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance - VICTORY!  (Read 290865 times)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
Re: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2016, 07:29:46 AM »
The vegans of the political sphere.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2016, 07:45:46 AM »
Here's a better idea (and one that might actually work)- if you don't like Trump, NOMINATE A DECENT DEM CANDIDATE NEXT TIME!  Someone that is not repugnant to a huge percentage of Americans, Republican, Dem, and otherwise.

Certainly this line of reasoning should be leveled against all losing parties in the election . . .  Libertarian, Green, and Democratic equally.  If such terribly repugnant losers as Johnson, Stein, and Clinton hasn't been in the running things could have turned out quite differently.  Given that Johnson and Stein didn't even come close to being elected anywhere that they ran because they (and their ideas) were so much less liked by the public than Clinton, I assume that you're heaping extra scorn on them.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2016, 07:58:41 AM »
Here's a better idea (and one that might actually work)- if you don't like Trump, NOMINATE A DECENT DEM CANDIDATE NEXT TIME!  Someone that is not repugnant to a huge percentage of Americans, Republican, Dem, and otherwise.

Certainly this line of reasoning should be leveled against all losing parties in the election . . .  Libertarian, Green, and Democratic equally.  If such terribly repugnant losers as Johnson, Stein, and Clinton hasn't been in the running things could have turned out quite differently.  Given that Johnson and Stein didn't even come close to being elected anywhere that they ran because they (and their ideas) were so much less liked by the public than Clinton, I assume that you're heaping extra scorn on them.

I have to agree. Johnson was a ridiculously underqualified choice. Stein was not much better.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2016, 09:38:07 AM »
Please do not let finger-pointing and arguments derail this thread. As previously mentioned, if anybody wants to start a new thread about the validity of these actions or who should've won or why, you are welcome to. I would like to keep the focus on actions and constructive advice.

Dec 14, 2016: fight trump’s scheme to prevent our march on washington (from wall of us)

1. Sign this that sends a letter to the Secretary of the Interior:  http://www.justiceonline.org/nps_withdraw_the_omnibus_blocking_permit_and_release_the_public_lands_to_free_speech_assembly?

2. Tweet to:   
Inauguration Committee Chair @TomBarrackJr
Inauguration Committee @TrumpInaugural
Inauguration Committee Deputy Director @alexstroman
Use these hashtags: #wallofus #permithogs #trampyourfeetagainsttrump

This link provides background on the issue: https://www.wall-of-us.org/weekly-acts-of-resistance/2016/12/10/action-1-fight-trumps-scheme-to-prevent-our-march-on-washington? On my phone, otherwise I would explain more. Short story is Trump is trying to block protests.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2016, 09:45:06 AM »
Did the Breitbart thing! Also did the Sleeping Giants thing with one of their advertisers!

I heard back from the company I pinged, and they are blocking Breitbart from the sites their ads can appear on! The tiniest of victories, but its nice to have that immediate payoff sometimes. I highly recommend it for anyone who needs that little pick me up!

Go letired!

Iris lily, local issues are important! With this forum, though, we live in all different states and localities. I can't organize local issues across the country through this thread. Anything focused on my city would only be relevant to one or two other people. Do you have a suggestion on how to get around this?

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2016, 09:50:43 AM »
His recent cabinet pics are making VDE look like a good buy!

Enough

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2016, 09:53:20 AM »
Hi everyone! Glad to see people here.

Dec 11, 2016: Breitbart Google Ads

Posting to follow and to thank MonkeyJenga for the two items so far.  I am looking forward to more. 

I'll add that for the one above, my comment to google included how supporting breitbart does not align with their former code of conduct, "don't be evil."

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2016, 10:22:41 AM »
Did the Breitbart thing! Also did the Sleeping Giants thing with one of their advertisers!

I heard back from the company I pinged, and they are blocking Breitbart from the sites their ads can appear on! The tiniest of victories, but its nice to have that immediate payoff sometimes. I highly recommend it for anyone who needs that little pick me up!

Go letired!

Iris lily, local issues are important! With this forum, though, we live in all different states and localities. I can't organize local issues across the country through this thread. Anything focused on my city would only be relevant to one or two other people. Do you have a suggestion on how to get around this?

We have people living all over the globe. Although your ideas might not fit the problems I see around me, I can still get inspired by what you do, and find joy in sharing small wins we experience over here on the dark side.

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2016, 03:13:11 PM »
Following

Brilliantine

• Stubble
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2016, 04:49:20 PM »
Following.

llorona

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2016, 11:04:25 PM »
Following.

Also, there will be peaceful protests at all 50 U.S. state capitals on December 19: http://www.december19.us/

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2016, 11:19:48 AM »
Since the election, I have:

Ordered some Christmas gifts from the national civil rights museum, including a black lives matter t shirt for myself,
Set up monthly donations to:
ACLU,
Clinton Foundation,
NPR/Pbs,
IRIS (local group that works to resettle Syrian refugees in Connecticut),
Attended a benefit dinner for NARAL (pro choice),
Renewed my ct NOW membership,
Attending NOW meeting this evening with a friend I made at the NARAL dinner,
Gotten bus tickets for march on DC in January,
Canceled donations to church which celebrated trump's victory,
Supported Stein's recount on grounds that it might irritate trump,
Set up subscription to the "failing New York Times ",
But I'm just getting started.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2016, 05:34:41 PM »
jfhampt, rocking it! I recommend also subscribing to the Washington Post. They've been putting out some great investigative journalism.

Dec 15, 2016: North Carolina GOP Undermining Incoming Governor in Surprise Session (Reference)

1. Call Republican leadership in NC:

Senate Pro Tempore Phil Berger: 919-733-5708
House Speaker Tim Moore: 919-733-3451

Sample script: "Hello, my name is ____. I’m calling because I oppose the surprise special session and the legislation filed that attempts to undermine the will of the voters and the powers of the Governor. It’s an insult to voters, and it undermines faith in our democracy. It’s unacceptable that this is happening with such little transparency and at taxpayers’ expense. If there are valid reasons for reforms to take place, those should be heard in the regular session, when there is time for citizen input. Thank you."

2. Join a nation-wide Twitter campaign, exposing these undemocratic power-grabbing maneuvers. Below are some sample Tweets. Retweet anything with RiseNC or the hashtag #RespectOurVote

@NCGOP shamelessly proposed a new bill to undermine democracy at a late night special session tonight. We won't stand for it #RespectOurVote #ncpol #RiseNC #NCGA

@NCGOP delegitimizing the democratic process at special session tonight #RespectOurVote #ncpol #RiseNC #NCGA

We won't stand for this @NCGOP. Rise up North Carolina! This is what hijacking of democracy looks like #RespectOurVote #ncpol #RiseNC #NCGA

Laws written in secret with no debate or public comment are both illegal and undemocratic. Why the secrets, @NCGOP? #RespectOurVote #ncpol #RiseNC #NCGA

3. Donate to the NC NAACP. They have been on the frontlines for years.

4. If you live in North Carolina or know anyone who does, get people to go protest in person!

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2016, 08:19:45 PM »
Thanks, monkeyjenga.  I do like the Washington post, too.  I decided to go with The NY Times since they're more local for me, and I get a kick out of reading it every time I see Trump tweet about the failing ny times.  I do think subscriptions to one or both are also great gift ideas this Christmas.  I like the suggestion about the NAACP, too.  I just read this article ( my president was black - not specifically about the NAACP) and found it absolutely heartbreaking:  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/508793/?client=safari

m8547

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2016, 11:54:14 PM »
I subscribed to the NY Times as well. They have great recipes!

Miss Stachio

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2016, 07:20:05 AM »
Thanks for starting this. Following

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2016, 09:58:05 AM »
Due to mention of NYT and WP, today I donated to The National Review. I am already a subscriber but they always are looking for donations.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 11:09:16 AM by iris lily »

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2016, 04:00:09 PM »
Dec 17, 2016: Win Hamilton tickets!

Donate $10 to Planned Parenthood and win a chance to get six Hamilton tickets, backstage tours, and free flights and hotels.

Larger donations get you guaranteed gifts in addition to more chances to win.

https://www.prizeo.com/prizes/lin-manuel-miranda/the-ultimate-hamilton-experience-as-a-guest-of?

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2016, 07:24:17 PM »
Posting to follow!

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2016, 06:59:57 AM »
Dec 18, 2016: Petition NBC to remove conflict of interest with Donald Trump

https://act.credoaction.com/sign/NBC_Trump?

Petitions are not always effective, but there is evidence that NBC responds to public pressure.

You cannot make this up. When "Celebrity Apprentice" returns to NBC in 2017, Donald Trump will still be executive producer of the show.

This is an unprecedented moment, where one of the largest media conglomerates in the world, Comcast/NBCUniversal, for all intents and purposes, will have a contractual arrangement with the president of the United States. It creates a clear conflict of interest that undermines the credibility of NBC News, MSNBC and CNBC and makes it impossible to trust that any reporting on Trump has not been impacted by this business entanglement.

NBC has a Trump problem that will only get worse once he is president. To maintain any credibility as a news organization, the network needs to cut its ties now.

In 2015, NBCUniversal cut ties with Trump’s Miss Universe pageant after he called Mexican immigrants criminals and rapists when announcing his candidacy for president. Their statement read in part: “At NBC, respect and dignity for all people are cornerstones of our values. Due to the recent derogatory statements by Donald Trump regarding immigrants, NBCUniversal is ending its business relationship with Mr. Trump.”5

At the time, NBC hedged its bets by saying it would continue its relationship with Mark Burnett’s United Artists Media Group, which licensed "The Apprentice." Unless it insists that Trump not remain an executive producer of one of its network’s flagship shows, NBC will be showing that it’s not only comfortable with a clear conflict around its news outlets, but with a clear conflict of its own professed values. It’s time for them to cut ties with Trump now.

Tell NBC: End your business relationship with Donald Trump.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2016, 11:05:12 AM »
Following.  Thanks for posting all these ideas, I've done them all.  I do realize that one voice does not matter, but perhaps as someone else put it, maybe many voices WILL matter.  I sent emails to both my NC state representatives in regards to the ridiculous power grab here (although that did no good) and have also posted on Jason Chaffetz's facebook page asking for him to look into Trump's conflicts of interest. 

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2016, 12:14:48 PM »
Following.  Thanks for posting all these ideas, I've done them all.  I do realize that one voice does not matter, but perhaps as someone else put it, maybe many voices WILL matter.  I sent emails to both my NC state representatives in regards to the ridiculous power grab here (although that did no good) and have also posted on Jason Chaffetz's facebook page asking for him to look into Trump's conflicts of interest.
As a resident of NC, how do you feel about a twitter campaign to affect an issue that is soley within your state?

Do you  think out of state Twitterers have  an ethical obligation to disclose they are not residents of NC?

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2016, 12:52:33 PM »
As a resident of NC, how do you feel about a twitter campaign to affect an issue that is soley within your state?

Do you  think out of state Twitterers have  an ethical obligation to disclose they are not residents of NC?

I have no issue with the first as I think success here just emboldens politicians in other states.  I'd have to think hard about the second, but don't twitter accounts have a profile that discloses location?  As an aside I did think about figuring twitter out and setting up an account just to see how fast I'd get blocked by @realdonaldtrump. 

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2016, 02:27:30 PM »
I've talked to friends and acquaintances and discussed with them how they may be adversely affected by Trump's/Republican policies such as the repeal of the Affordable Health Care act as well as voucherizing Medicare.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2016, 09:22:05 PM »
I've talked to friends and acquaintances and discussed with them how they may be adversely affected by Trump's/Republican policies such as the repeal of the Affordable Health Care act as well as voucherizing Medicare.
What did they say about repeal of the ACA? Do they  have ACA coverage now?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 09:32:22 PM by iris lily »

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2016, 09:52:38 AM »
This is a long document, and I can only read a bit at a time, but I thought others on this thread might find it helpful. Indivisible: A Practical Guide for Resisting the Trump Agenda https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DzOz3Y6D8g_MNXHNMJYAz1b41_cn535aU5UsN7Lj8X8/mobilebasic#

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2016, 10:21:29 AM »
This is a long document, and I can only read a bit at a time, but I thought others on this thread might find it helpful. Indivisible: A Practical Guide for Resisting the Trump Agenda https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DzOz3Y6D8g_MNXHNMJYAz1b41_cn535aU5UsN7Lj8X8/mobilebasic#

This is great! I am working my way through it. The Google doc was so popular they made a fancy schmancy website: https://www.indivisibleguide.com/

Wall-of-us.org has it as part of their weekly actions: https://www.wall-of-us.org/weekly-acts-of-resistance/2016/12/16/action-3-develop-a-town-hall-strategy?

1. Read this guide. Yep, we are asking you to study - it will be worth it. The guide was prepared by former congressional staffers and reveals the tactics that strengthened the Tea Party. We will be using these strategies in our actions.

2. Pay particular attention to pages 10-13 (regarding forming local action groups) and 15-17 (regarding public town hall events).

3. Call your senators and representatives and find out when their next “town hall” or public events are and how they are scheduled. If the person answering doesn't know, ask to be added to the email list so you get notified.

4. If you are not a member of a local action group begin to think about a group 10 or so people you could assemble. More on that soon. If you prefer to fly solo, that is fine too.

I was on a podcast focusing on getting more women into elected office and why diversity of all kinds is key to developing better solutions.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 09:37:31 AM by MonkeyJenga »

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2016, 01:24:35 PM »
Hopping on the thread to mention a resource I just found and really like -- Daily Action, which texts you an action each morning, along with a link with supporting information and link to call your representative. It's all very simple and doable in whatever spare moment you have during the day.

Today's action is about calling your senators to encourage them to reject Rex Tillerson.

This article (also mentioned in the belesscrazy link above) has a compelling argument about why he needs to be rejected: https://medium.com/@AlexSteffen/trump-putin-and-the-pipelines-to-nowhere-742d745ce8fd#.fhc2w2mm0

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2016, 02:15:51 PM »
The vegans of the political sphere.

Hahaha, brilliant.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2016, 02:22:10 PM »
I think we have largely kept this thread civil despite some differences in opinion. Please continue the Tillerson discussion elsewhere so we can focus on actions and constructive advice.

MOD NOTE: Some off topic & some rude posts removed.  PM me with concerns. /END EDIT

Madgeylou, thanks for the Daily Action resource.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 05:18:09 PM by arebelspy »

RosieTR

• Bristles
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2016, 08:49:02 PM »
Thanks for sharing this, Monkey Jenga! Trying to get myself motivated to do something, since feeling disheartened and overwhelmed.

One of the things I've been thinking about doing is trying to focus a little more. I have a bunch of FB groups that advocate this and that, and it's all too much. Need to read the pdf file and figure out how to best use my particular talents and likes to put forth good effort.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2016, 01:41:45 PM »
Did my last Christmas gifting for this year. Here were my purchases:
Sister1 - donation to Planned Parenthood in her state
BIL1 - EarthJustice membership
Sister2 - Sierra Club membership
BIL2 - ACLU membership

llorona

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #82 on: December 23, 2016, 04:20:41 PM »
@LifeHappens: Great job on the Christmas "shopping"!

On December 19, DH and I protested in Sacramento, California for the electoral college vote.

Good reading here - an article on preparing for the upcoming regime change: http://billmoyers.com/story/list-anti-trump-liberals-progressives/

And for anyone who is planning on marching on January 21st, here is a link to the Pussyhat Project: https://www.pussyhatproject.com/

CloserToFree

• Bristles
  • 30-sth lawyer (for now), traveler, lover of nature
« Reply #83 on: December 23, 2016, 07:33:53 PM »
Coming to this thread late but delighted to have found it.  Thanks Monkeyjenga!!

llorona

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #84 on: December 26, 2016, 12:26:58 PM »
Here's an action that involves using your consumer power: the Grab Your Wallet boycott campaign. Quite a few mainstream companies (e.g., Amazon, Bed Bath and Beyond, Macy's, Nordstrom) carry products that are made by -- and line the pockets of -- Donald Trump and Ivanka Trump. This link takes you to a spreadsheet with information on the campaign and a list of companies to boycott: https://grabyourwallet.org/What%20We're%20About.html

If you've got seam coming out of your ears, go to Rage Donate where you can channel your anger by making a $10 contribution to charities that support decency and equality: https://www.ragedonate.com/

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2016, 03:12:34 PM »
Michael Moore suggests the following action:
WRITE TO THE DNC TONIGHT. It will take 5 minutes. Send a quick email to the Democratic National Committee (http://my.democrats.org/page/s/contact-the-democrats) and tell them you want them to elect Congressman Keith Ellison as the new chairperson of the Democratic Party. He is the future and everyone else is the past. Here's what the old guard gave us: TWICE in 16 years the Democratic candidate WON the vote for President but LOST the White House. Incredible! This has to stop! Ellison and the progressive wing of the party must take us forward. Keith has the backing of Bernie Sanders and myself, but also the endorsement of some of the old guard who've come around to see the error of past ways (Harry Reid, Chuck Schumer, etc.). In addition to being born in Detroit, spending his adulthood as a community organizer and now representing the Twin Cities in the House, Ellison is also the only Muslim member of Congress. He was one of the few members of Congress brave enough to back Bernie. He will fight to turn this around and, as a son of the Midwest, bring that part of the country back from the dark side. Let's flood the DNC with emails tonight (and cc: the your state Democratic Party, too - you can look up their email address on Google).

I have mixed feelings about Mr. Moore, but he was one of the few Progressives to understand the real threat of Trump. I actually think his entire Facebook post is well-reasoned and helpful. https://www.facebook.com/mmflint/posts/10154046637756857

gentmach

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2016, 03:53:21 PM »
Well, while you are doing national issues, I'm currently fighting a federal Wildlife Refuge and could use some help.

I know it is counter intuitive to fight a Refuge. It has become a matter of civil rights and good governance.

1. Establishment of the Refuge requires a public comment period and public meetings. It was established in May but public comment period started in October.

2. EPA requires an up to date Enviromental Impact Assessment. Fish and wildlife says the 17 year old Assessment is perfectly acceptable. The river has been heavily damaged by sand over the years so a new Assessment is required.

3. There is no Land Protection Plan in place. It was supposed to be done fall 2015. It still is not done in December 2016.

You can contact your congressperson to hold them accountable.

I know you guys are mobilizing because you think Trump is fascism incarnate. This stuff was happening under Obama though. You guys getting active is great but you have to be even vigilant, not slack off when your party is in power.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2016, 04:06:40 PM »
Well, while you are doing national issues, I'm currently fighting a federal Wildlife Refuge and could use some help.

I know it is counter intuitive to fight a Refuge. It has become a matter of civil rights and good governance.

What is the name of the refuge? Also, please link to sources about the abuses of process you've mentioned.

I know you guys are mobilizing because you think Trump is fascism incarnate. This stuff was happening under Obama though. You guys getting active is great but you have to be even vigilant, not slack off when your party is in power.

I agree all administrations need to be held accountable. Many of us on this thread have been politically active for a long time. 

gentmach

• Bristles
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2016, 04:34:23 PM »

What is the name of the refuge? Also, please link to sources about the abuses of process you've mentioned.

The refuge is the Kankakee National Wildlife and conservation area.

This is a link to the forum thread I started about this subject.
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/opposing-a-wildlife-refuge/msg1213644/#msg1213644

My source is the Illinois Farm Bureau.

https://www.votervoice.net/mobile/ILFB/Campaigns/48615/Respond

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2016, 05:46:28 AM »
Will the congressional democrats have an effective strategy

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2016, 05:57:43 AM »
This is billed as a Women's March, but even if I was a man I would still attend.  The bottom of the page has links to the march pages for each state, it's not just Washington DC.  My state, NC, has marches planned in Raleigh, Charlotte and Asheville.   I truly hope the response to this is overwhelming, I'll be attending and bringing anyone I can to the one in Raleigh.  Amusingly enough, there is a page for Canada. 

OFFICIAL STATEMENT, National Organizers

On January 21, 2017 we will unite in Washington, DC for the Women’s March on Washington. We stand together in solidarity with our partners and children for the protection of our rights, our safety, our health, and our families -- recognizing that our vibrant and diverse communities are the strength of our country.

The rhetoric of the past election cycle has insulted, demonized, and threatened many of us--women, immigrants of all statuses, those with diverse religious faiths particularly Muslim, people who identify as LGBTQIA, Native and Indigenous people, Black and Brown people, people with disabilities, the economically impoverished and survivors of sexual assault. We are confronted with the question of how to move forward in the face of national and international concern and fear.

In the spirit of democracy and honoring the champions of human rights, dignity, and justice who have come before us, we join in diversity to show our presence in numbers too great to ignore. The Women’s March on Washington will send a bold message to our new administration on their first day in office, and to the world that women's rights are human rights. We stand together, recognizing that defending the most marginalized among us is defending all of us.

We support the advocacy and resistance movements that reflect our multiple and intersecting identities. We call on all defenders of human rights to join us. This march is the first step towards unifying our communities, grounded in new relationships, to create change from the grassroots level up. We will not rest until women have parity and equity at all levels of leadership in society. We work peacefully while recognizing there is no true peace without justice and equity for all. HEAR OUR VOICE.

INDIVIDUAL STATE PAGES
Alabama:https://www.facebook.com/events/1846030275617393/
Alaska:https://www.facebook.com/events/1600783963561939/
Arizona: https://www.facebook.com/Womens-March-on-Washington-Arizona-279310659137657/?__mref=message_bubble
Arkansas: https://www.facebook.com/events/573400352869327/
California: https://www.facebook.com/womensmarchcalifornia/
Colorado: https://www.facebook.com/events/709610529214027
Connecticut: https://www.facebook.com/events/1792149314392756
Delaware: https://www.facebook.com/events/1291561980874839
Florida: https://www.facebook.com/events/692127054269714
Georgia: https://www.facebook.com/events/1217162705008126
Hawaii: https://www.facebook.com/events/211646899272952/
Idaho: https://www.facebook.com/events/322824721434231/
Illinois: https://www.facebook.com/events/1270986692942913/
Southern Illinois: https://www.facebook.com/events/1804138626469985/
Indiana: https://www.facebook.com/events/1204732789602412
Iowa: https://www.facebook.com/events/106027873213830/
Kansas: https://www.facebook.com/events/1801880063418556/
Kentucky: https://www.facebook.com/events/681571528669041/
Louisiana: https://www.facebook.com/events/1826803097594877/
Maine: https://www.facebook.com/events/1790176321230462
Maryland: https://www.facebook.com/events/350578258628372/
Massachusetts:!https://www.facebook.com/events/589686194556600
Michigan: https://www.facebook.com/events/698641643624141
Minnesota: https://www.facebook.com/events/1819878021589303/
Mississipi: https://www.facebook.com/events/323330188047841/
Missouri: https://www.facebook.com/events/102709433546450/
Montana: https://www.facebook.com/events/155258321610587/
Nebraska: https://www.facebook.com/events/770685966402508/
Nevada: https://www.facebook.com/events/353336878361427/
New Hampshire: https://www.facebook.com/events/555924031275302
New Jersey: https://www.facebook.com/events/644071919106389
New Mexico: https://www.facebook.com/events/220341795062534/
North Carolina: https://www.facebook.com/events/1205920736112709
North Dakota: https://www.facebook.com/events/241502762935609/
NYC-Downstate: https://www.facebook.com/events/320865168287826
NYC-Upstate/Hudston Valley: https://www.facebook.com/events/1227357017311119
New York/Western New York: https://www.facebook.com/events/1752801144983963/
Ohio: https://www.facebook.com/events/555657974634929
Oklahoma: https://www.facebook.com/events/1815192752098798/
Oregon: https://www.facebook.com/events/1421931004507822
Pennsylvania: https://www.facebook.com/events/200975297028010/
Rhode Island: https://www.facebook.com/events/1805228079699926
South Carolina: https://www.facebook.com/events/1736705676652541
South Dakota: https://www.facebook.com/events/1867099916909960/
Tennessee: https://www.facebook.com/events/934936929940773
Texas: https://www.facebook.com/events/619997428160922
Utah: https://www.facebook.com/events/1811012359168622
Vermont: https://www.facebook.com/events/1628519267445788
Virginia: https://www.facebook.com/events/236212980124973/
WashingtonState:https://www.facebook.com/events/1775078802708937
Washington, DC: https://www.facebook.com/groups/198007357318321
West Virginia: https://www.facebook.com/events/157132618088797
Wisconsin: https://www.facebook.com/events/208275672945652
Wyoming: Coming soon!
Pureto Rico : https://www.facebook.com/events/1911071355788419/
Canada: https://www.facebook.com/events/1624009594561437/
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 06:04:16 AM by Unique User »

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2016, 07:49:36 AM »
^^i am attending this and bringing a friend

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #92 on: December 29, 2016, 08:08:44 AM »
Join wolf-PAC and contact your State legislature to support constitutional amendment to fix our privately funded two party system

http://www.wolf-pac.com/

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #93 on: December 29, 2016, 11:13:59 AM »
Finally following this thread.

My Christmas shopping this year included: two donations to Planned Parenthood on behalf of Mike Pence. (I don't think anything could galvanize him to hate that organization more, and I like to think of him getting those notices and going all squinty-eyed with anger. :) One donation to Doctors Without Borders. One donation to the ACLU. In return, we got one donation to an organization that helps fight world hunger, one donation to a group that gives toys and resources to kids, and a reciprocal donation to the ACLU.

I love my family.

Trying to figure out bigger actions for this coming year, and the years that follow. What am I willing to do, how far out of my comfort zone will I travel? I hate calling people, so calling my congress people seems daunting to me. I think that will be my first big step. I'm going to call and email and otherwise contact the people who are supposed to be representing me in government and tell them to oppose ALL of Trump's wretched cabinet picks. Filibuster the shit out of them.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2017, 10:38:36 AM »
Other Westernized countries do not have the tradition and constitutional protection that our country has about free speech.

As I read about France's shocking bill to limit online information about abortion

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/patrick-goodenough/french-lawmakers-debating-bill-criminalize-online-pro-life-advocacy

and the U.K.'s movement to enact Extreme Disruption Orders that limit citizens in completely lawful actions

http://defendfreespeech.org.uk/what-are-edos/

and  the conviction of Dutch politician Geert Wilders for asking his followers to comment on Muslim immigrants from Morocco, speech that was determined by judges  to be "demeaning and therefore insulting"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/09/geert-wilders-found-guilty-in-hate-speech-trial-but-no-sentence-imposed

and a general sum of European climate on free speech

http://www.spiked-online.com/freespeechnow/fsn_article/the-european-assault-on-freedom-of-speech#.WGqKybROKf0

I wonder where these threats to free Western speech stop in Europe and in the
U.K. I dont want the U.S. to stand alone in supporting freedom from oppression of speech.

I sent Teresa May email asking her to stop enactment of
EDO's. How to reach No. 10 Downling
Street:

https://email.number10.gov.uk
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 11:50:05 AM by iris lily »

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2017, 10:58:00 AM »
Thanks for this thread. I already set up monthly donations to nonprofits I believe in politically, and I get frequent e-mail requests to write to/call my representatives (which I do). I will act on some of these suggestions as well. :)

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2017, 03:55:06 PM »
Call your senators and reps - tell them that opposing net neutrality will make you fiercely oppose their reelection bid.

purplepear

• Stubble
« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2017, 05:28:57 PM »
Posting to follow (and take action)!

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #98 on: January 03, 2017, 05:00:02 AM »
Contributed to my senator's re-election campaign and purchased a couple of feminist message sweatshirts from my sister.org (some of the proceeds go to fight sex trafficking). 

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #99 on: January 03, 2017, 05:39:40 AM »
Thanks for everyone's suggestions and actions! I took a break over the holidays but will resume semi-daily posting this week.