Author Topic: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance  (Read 147874 times)

Philociraptor

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE Deadline: May 2029
Re: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance
« Reply #950 on: May 15, 2018, 12:37:29 PM »
Hrmmmm. PTF.

meerkat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #951 on: May 21, 2018, 05:53:31 AM »
The grocery store chain Publix has come under fire for supporting a Republican candidate Adam Putnam for Florida governor. They clarified that they did not financially support the NRA, but Putnam has tweeted that he's a "proud NRA sellout".

This past weekend we got our groceries somewhere else. Normally we're at a Publix three times a week since they're also a convenient lunch option. It's going to be awkward for a bit while we figure out shopping at a new grocery store and what other easy lunch options we can do, but all well. I don't have Twitter so I may look for a phone number later to call Publix to let them know they've lost a decades-long customer.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 06:10:48 PM by meerkat »
meer journal for a meerkat

Will this matter in ten years?

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #952 on: May 21, 2018, 02:43:49 PM »
The grocery store chain Publix has for supporting a Republican candidate Adam Putnam for Florida governor. They clarified that they did not financially support the NRA, but Putnam has tweeted that he's a [url=http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/fl-reg-adam-putnam-governor-forum-club-20180427-story.html]"proud NRA sellout".

This past weekend we got our groceries somewhere else. Normally we're at a Publix three times a week since they're also a convenient lunch option. It's going to be awkward for a bit while we figure out shopping at a new grocery store and what other easy lunch options we can do, but all well. I don't have Twitter so I may look for a phone number later to call Publix to let them know they've lost a decades-long customer.

well done. yeah - i'd call them. Let them know they've lost a 3x per week decades-long customer.
Last one to panic wins!

Outlaw political corruption:  Join or start a represent.us chapter

My Rohingya Refugee Charity (It's Tax Exempt!)

Privately funded political systems are just WRONG.

meerkat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #953 on: May 22, 2018, 08:35:14 AM »
I called 800-242-1227 and dialed 4 as a customer calling in to talk to a rep, then I spoke to someone who routed me to someone else when I said I was calling in about the Adam Putnam issue. The person I left a message with did confirm that the calls are being documented. I asked if she knew how much had also been contributed to Democratic or other candidates but she didn't have that information (which I expected, but thought it was good to ask anyway).

sui generis

• Bristles
« Reply #954 on: May 22, 2018, 11:06:12 AM »
I called 800-242-1227 and dialed 4 as a customer calling in to talk to a rep, then I spoke to someone who routed me to someone else when I said I was calling in about the Adam Putnam issue. The person I left a message with did confirm that the calls are being documented. I asked if she knew how much had also been contributed to Democratic or other candidates but she didn't have that information (which I expected, but thought it was good to ask anyway).
Nicely done!  I find it hard to make calls and to push a little like that, but it's important and really makes a point! 

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #955 on: May 22, 2018, 01:33:02 PM »
Called the members of the NYS Senate Judiciary Committee, who are scheduled to vote today on whether S7133A, the Extreme Risk Protection Orders (“ERPO”) bill, should be brought to the floor for a vote. Most likely they will bury it again, but this lets them know that they are being watched.

Physicsteacher

• Bristles
« Reply #956 on: May 23, 2018, 01:12:39 PM »
Yesterday I voted in my primary. Today I made a donation to a campaign and signed up for phone banking and door to door canvassing. Back in 2016, the only candidates for this U.S. House seat were the Republican incumbent and a Libertarian, so I want to do what I can to promote a candidate I genuinely would like to see in office, even if his chances are slim.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #957 on: May 23, 2018, 07:45:28 PM »
I voted in the primary runoff yesterday as well. I took my kiddo with me and let him push the "cast ballot" button. Then we had a breakfast picnic at the park before I dropped him off at school. And my candidate won the primary! Go Lupe Valdez! I doubt she'll beat Abbott in the general election, but I'm pleased she won the primary.

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #958 on: June 02, 2018, 06:41:15 AM »
If you're going to "vote with your dollar" and stop shopping somewhere or buying a product, please please please let that company know that you have done so, and why.  Don't be a jerk about it, but they need to know otherwise that dollar just disappears and they lump that in with all the other dollars they gain or lose.  Set yours apart.
No matter how far you've gone down the wrong road, turn back.

"Surplus wealth is a sacred trust which its possessor is bound to administer in his lifetime for the good of the community."
Andrew Carnegie

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #959 on: June 06, 2018, 02:20:46 PM »
Great job on the primaries BZB and Physicsteacher! 

I called my senators and let them know that isolating and locking up the children of asylum seekers and illegal immigrants is unacceptable. Even the children of people in prison are not jailed themselves.

sui generis

• Bristles
« Reply #960 on: June 06, 2018, 10:48:01 PM »
Well, this was pretty small, but I had a long call with T Mobile today about charging me for a call to American Samoa because "international calls" are not covered on my plan.  They ended up crediting me the charge, though still saying they would charge me in the future.  I told them that it's inaccurate and deceptive to market a plan that includes calling throughout the US, or domestic, and to cut out parts of the country, and I hoped they'd be more accurate and truthful in the future.  I know this seems really indirect as an act of Resistance, but with the hurricane in Puerto Rico and how poorly they've been treated and so many people not knowing or purposely trying to carve Puerto Ricans out into "outsiders" they don't have to care as much about, I'm not going to put up with people or corporations mislabeling our fellow Americans.  It was extra salient, in fact, because the reason I was calling American Samoa was to talk to a client about her appeal to FEMA for disaster relief since our fellow Americans suffered a lot of damage in from Tropical Storm/Cyclone/Hurricane Gita in February.  I would have been reimbursed by my firm for the cost, but it's the principle of the thing.  People (and corporations) need to know that we know Puerto Rico and American Samoa are part of the US and they need to not rely on lack of education and subliminal racism to get away with inaccurate marketing.

More directly on point, I participated in not one but two text-banking conference calls today with orgs that have big plans for outreach to voters through the midterms and beyond, including gathering data that will be critical to determine the ROI of this new(ish) technology.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 10:50:02 PM by sui generis »

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #961 on: June 07, 2018, 12:07:38 AM »
Nice job everyone! If there's anyone following this thread who wants to help out in the midterms but doesn't know how, speak up! We can brainstorm and recommend options. There are races everywhere and at all levels, not just federal, and they can use a variety of skills and volunteer activities. Calling, texting, door-knocking, data entry, food donations, etc. You may not be up for a day of canvassing, but maybe you can print out materials or help in a field office for a couple hours. I always find it fun to hang out with the campaign staff and other volunteers. Very cool, inspiring vibe.

My big move: I got a job! I wanted to be a world-class couch-surfer in FIRE, but instead I started working in the political realm. My day job will have a direct, positive impact on the midterms and beyond. I'm also planning to donate much of my salary to charitable and political causes, since I don't need the money.

Smaller, but still important move: This weekend I will be volunteering with a sexual health org at the DC Pride Parade. "Condom Orientation" is on the official agenda. That makes me giggle. Maybe I am not mature enough for this...

[SAPPINESS ALERT]

I'm so happy that this thread is still going, eighteen months and a thousand posts in. Y'all are awesome. Some people are dismissive of small, sustainable actions, but everything adds up. They can also be a stepping stone to larger things, as you gain knowledge and make connections with other passionate people. I am seeing many of my volunteer buddies go on to run for local office or get jobs on campaigns, putting their expected career path on hold or abandoning it completely. There are friends taking a semester off from law school so they can work for Beto O'Rourke, or taking a sabbatical so they can devote more time to unpaid activism. People who now give speeches at events and are featured on TV because a year ago they decided to devote their weekends to a cause.

Two years ago, I could not have predicted that I'd have a network of campaign friends across the country, a grassroots advocacy group to my name, and a sweet job with bean bag chairs and free ice cream, but here I am.

This thread was one of the first steps I took after the election to do something. Even if it didn't go anywhere, I felt like I had to try whatever I could. So thanks to everyone who has contributed and is doing their part to make a difference!

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #962 on: June 07, 2018, 08:53:38 AM »
Wrote to my representative about net neutrality, and tied my concern to my small business and the limited rural broadband I have - that should push two of the Republican buttons the rep seems to have had installed at birth.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #963 on: June 07, 2018, 09:19:25 AM »
Wrote to my representative about net neutrality, and tied my concern to my small business and the limited rural broadband I have - that should push two of the Republican buttons the rep seems to have had installed at birth.

You didn't stick a Franklin in there did you? Then you'd have the holy trinity.

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #964 on: June 07, 2018, 10:14:47 AM »
I canvassed for my friend who is running for a role in the local democratic party this past weekend - a fun couple hours of knocking doors and telling people what the race at the very bottom of the ballot actually is. :)

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #965 on: June 08, 2018, 03:18:38 AM »
Nice job everyone! If there's anyone following this thread who wants to help out in the midterms but doesn't know how, speak up! We can brainstorm and recommend options. There are races everywhere and at all levels, not just federal, and they can use a variety of skills and volunteer activities. Calling, texting, door-knocking, data entry, food donations, etc. You may not be up for a day of canvassing, but maybe you can print out materials or help in a field office for a couple hours. I always find it fun to hang out with the campaign staff and other volunteers. Very cool, inspiring vibe.
What can I do? I'll be in the OC from July 11-16.  I'll be in San Joser area July 16-25 or so. Then Seattle area after that.

My big move: I got a job! I wanted to be a world-class couch-surfer in FIRE, but instead I started working in the political realm. My day job will have a direct, positive impact on the midterms and beyond. I'm also planning to donate much of my salary to charitable and political causes, since I don't need the money.

Smaller, but still important move: This weekend I will be volunteering with a sexual health org at the DC Pride Parade. "Condom Orientation" is on the official agenda. That makes me giggle. Maybe I am not mature enough for this...

ah YISSS!

[SAPPINESS ALERT]

I'm so happy that this thread is still going, eighteen months and a thousand posts in. Y'all are awesome. Some people are dismissive of small, sustainable actions, but everything adds up. They can also be a stepping stone to larger things, as you gain knowledge and make connections with other passionate people. I am seeing many of my volunteer buddies go on to run for local office or get jobs on campaigns, putting their expected career path on hold or abandoning it completely. There are friends taking a semester off from law school so they can work for Beto O'Rourke, or taking a sabbatical so they can devote more time to unpaid activism. People who now give speeches at events and are featured on TV because a year ago they decided to devote their weekends to a cause.

Two years ago, I could not have predicted that I'd have a network of campaign friends across the country, a grassroots advocacy group to my name, and a sweet job with bean bag chairs and free ice cream, but here I am.

This thread was one of the first steps I took after the election to do something. Even if it didn't go anywhere, I felt like I had to try whatever I could. So thanks to everyone who has contributed and is doing their part to make a difference!
you n me both, kiddo.
Last one to panic wins!

Outlaw political corruption:  Join or start a represent.us chapter

My Rohingya Refugee Charity (It's Tax Exempt!)

Privately funded political systems are just WRONG.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #966 on: June 11, 2018, 06:29:30 PM »
Registered a voter!  I've started keeping two registration cards in my car and in my bag, on the off chance they might be needed.

OtherJen

• Bristles
« Reply #967 on: June 11, 2018, 09:29:19 PM »
Registered a voter!  I've started keeping two registration cards in my car and in my bag, on the off chance they might be needed.

Yay! I love registering voters.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #968 on: June 17, 2018, 02:22:46 PM »
[SAPPINESS ALERT].... See MJ.. you Do have feelings..;)

SisterX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #969 on: June 17, 2018, 11:19:29 PM »
I contacted all sort of legislators about the wanton cruelty this administration is heaping on immigrant families by separating children from their parents. Fuck them all for letting that happen.

This was a fascinating read. It helps to explain why so many of the things Republicans say they want (like small government) don't actually matter when they get into power.

meerkat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #970 on: June 18, 2018, 01:23:37 PM »
Instead of just getting upset and yelling at the radio in the car when I listen to the news about families being separated at the boarder, I found this Slate article helpful: How You Can Fight Family Separation at the Border.

I also donated to one of the groups mentioned in the article, Kids In Need of Defense, who are working to make sure no child appears in immigration court alone without representation.

I've also called my government reps and will call again to the two who had wishy-washy responses.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #971 on: June 18, 2018, 03:16:35 PM »
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/06/dem-lawmaker-met-8-month-old-immigrant-child-whos-separated-parents-weeks/

Dem lawmaker: I met an 8-month old immigrant child who’s been separated from his parents for weeks

This is every bit as bad as the travel ban last year, perhaps even worse.  Time to start joining protests if you can.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/06/how-you-can-fight-family-separation-at-the-border.html

^This has a long list of organizations that are fighting the family separation policy.
The Chase Trifecta:
Earn 50,000 Ultimate Rewards points with Chase Sapphire Preferred - $4k spend in 3 months.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/2MOVOLZCEJ
Earn a $150 bonus with Chase Freedom Unlimited - only $500 spend needed in 3 months.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/18/ENYF0FTS66
Earn a $150 bonus with Chase Freedom - only $500 spend needed in 3 months.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/DBOP9XI9XT

Southwest Cards - Earn 50k miles for $2k spend in 3 months.
Premier -
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/224/JY2BMSDZJ2
Plus -
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/223/F3ZW8H140N

Recommended Cell Service - Google's Project Fi: https://g.co/fi/r/THK0WX

OtherJen

• Bristles
« Reply #972 on: June 18, 2018, 04:17:17 PM »
Instead of just getting upset and yelling at the radio in the car when I listen to the news about families being separated at the boarder, I found this Slate article helpful: How You Can Fight Family Separation at the Border.

I also donated to one of the groups mentioned in the article, Kids In Need of Defense, who are working to make sure no child appears in immigration court alone without representation.

I've also called my government reps and will call again to the two who had wishy-washy responses.

Thank you. Both of my state senators are strongly opposed to family separation. Unfortunately, thanks to our GOP-supermajority state government, my federal house district (reliably Democrat) has not had representation for more than 6 months (Rep. governor decided that it wasn't important to hold a special election). It's incredibly frustrating.

SisterX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #973 on: June 18, 2018, 08:40:00 PM »

Thank you. Both of my state senators are strongly opposed to family separation. Unfortunately, thanks to our GOP-supermajority state government, my federal house district (reliably Democrat) has not had representation for more than 6 months (Rep. governor decided that it wasn't important to hold a special election). It's incredibly frustrating.

Have you called them to yell about the fact that there can be no representative democracy without representation? Kick up a huuuuge fuss over this! Get media attention! That is absolutely not okay behavior, I don't care which way a district leans.

OtherJen

• Bristles
« Reply #974 on: June 18, 2018, 09:39:32 PM »

Have you called them to yell about the fact that there can be no representative democracy without representation? Kick up a huuuuge fuss over this! Get media attention! That is absolutely not okay behavior, I don't care which way a district leans.

I work with the local League of Women Voters and yes, we've made our displeasure known. There's been plenty of media coverage. The heavily gerrymandered state government doesn't care.

This week, I'm working on League voter guides for our upcoming primaries in August. We'll get to select an interim rep. for our district then, as well as the candidate for the November ballot. We'll have five candidates on the August ballot for the partial term and six for the full-term. I love elections.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #975 on: June 19, 2018, 07:42:36 AM »
This is every bit as bad as the travel ban last year, perhaps even worse.  Time to start joining protests if you can.

https://www.familiesbelongtogether.org/

June 30th is the date for the protests.  Sign up here to find a protest in your area (or start your own) - https://act.moveon.org/survey/June_30_Pledge/
The Chase Trifecta:
Earn 50,000 Ultimate Rewards points with Chase Sapphire Preferred - $4k spend in 3 months.
Earn a $150 bonus with Chase Freedom Unlimited - only $500 spend needed in 3 months.

Premier -
Plus -

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #976 on: June 19, 2018, 09:43:13 AM »
The Chase Trifecta:

Premier -
Plus -

ematicic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Money Enthusiast
« Reply #977 on: June 19, 2018, 10:30:30 AM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/laura-ingraham-advertisers-respond-migrant-summer-camp-comments-2018-6

Feel free to contact these advertisers if you have time today.

What is the desired end result of these protests? Is the goal to have completely open borders? I know Liberals pay big money to get the angry crowds riled up but what is your desired end state of US Immigration?

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #978 on: June 19, 2018, 10:38:32 AM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/laura-ingraham-advertisers-respond-migrant-summer-camp-comments-2018-6

Feel free to contact these advertisers if you have time today.

What is the desired end result of these protests? Is the goal to have completely open borders? I know Liberals pay big money to get the angry crowds riled up but what is your desired end state of US Immigration?

That's not what this thread is for. Start your own if you want to talk about this.

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #979 on: June 19, 2018, 10:42:07 AM »
- Upped my NRA membership to Life.
- Joined the Texas Nationalist Movement.
- Emailed Lance Gooden about Term Limits (He supports them and said we would sign the legislator list supporting them)
- Emailed Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton asking if his department could prepare a report on the representation and results of illegal immigrants detained in Texas, as well as their average length-of-stay and average cost to deport.

Been a busy morning.  :)
"The mathematical formula for the number of motorcycles you need is   x+1, where x is the number of motorcycles you currently have."

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #980 on: June 19, 2018, 10:53:06 AM »
Please move to either the discussion thread or start a conservative actions thread.

Big ups on term limits though!

TR, what are you looking to determine with the final bullet? I'm curious about similar things. Please respond in the discussion thread if you're open to it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 10:59:32 AM by MonkeyJenga »

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #981 on: June 21, 2018, 07:50:56 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/parenting/wp/2018/06/19/these-parents-hoped-to-raise-1500-for-separated-families-then-their-facebook-fundraiser-went-viral/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.e0b989a7b4b4

A viral fundraiser on Facebook has now collected more than $15 million - 10,000 times the original goal - for RAICES, a non-profit in Texas working to reunite immigrant children with their parents and now, they've said they will also provide legal representation as well.
The Chase Trifecta:

Premier -
Plus -

Kris

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #982 on: June 21, 2018, 09:04:16 AM »
Had a long talk with a formerly conservative friend who has had enough of the monstrosities of the Trump organization. She committed to voting straight-ticket Democratic until Trump is out of office and the GOP stops being the party she is now ashamed of.
Please note: Libertarian4321 did not vote for either Hillary or Trump. He voted for Gary Johnson, who was the Libertarian candidate.

sui generis

• Bristles
« Reply #983 on: June 21, 2018, 10:23:02 AM »
Had a long talk with a formerly conservative friend who has had enough of the monstrosities of the Trump organization. She committed to voting straight-ticket Democratic until Trump is out of office and the GOP stops being the party she is now ashamed of.

Whoa, you discovered a unicorn!  I mean, I've seen a few editorials with "top GOP strategist" or "Bush White House official" disavowing the GOP and promising to vote for Dems this November but I didn't think any "real Americans" were changing their minds.  Very cool and good job on contributing!

Kris

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #984 on: June 21, 2018, 10:44:35 AM »

Whoa, you discovered a unicorn!  I mean, I've seen a few editorials with "top GOP strategist" or "Bush White House official" disavowing the GOP and promising to vote for Dems this November but I didn't think any "real Americans" were changing their minds.  Very cool and good job on contributing!

Thanks. I have actually had quite a few conversations with people who are conservative leaning but don't follow politics very much, who are starting to come around. Besides the person I talked about above, there are at least four others I can think of who are sounding pretty left-leaning these days compared to how they used to.
Please note: Libertarian4321 did not vote for either Hillary or Trump. He voted for Gary Johnson, who was the Libertarian candidate.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #985 on: June 21, 2018, 10:58:13 AM »
I have met many people who are voting Democratic only because of Trump. Mostly people I've canvassed in different elections. Ranges from registered Republicans who actually switch their reg to Dem and swear off Republicans forever, to people who are more moderate and would normally vote on the person, but now will only vote Dem.

Fun fact: I fall in the latter category.

sui generis

• Bristles
« Reply #986 on: June 21, 2018, 11:16:36 AM »
That gives me hope to hear.  My canvassing hasn't been so optimistic.  In one day of going only to registered Dems, one told us that he had been meaning to change his registration to Republican (really???  NOW? Like, you didn't like them before, but they are cool NOW??) and another said that we should get the F off his porch and slammed the door in our face.  That was just a few months ago, again a registered Dem, and it was because we were Dem volunteers and he is now a Trump supporter.  I haven't had anyone express any increased desire to vote now or vote more blue in light of Trump et al.  :(

However, in the spirit of this thread, BF and I are attempting to go canvassing once per month through the election. 

Kris

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #987 on: June 21, 2018, 11:42:30 AM »
That gives me hope to hear.  My canvassing hasn't been so optimistic.  In one day of going only to registered Dems, one told us that he had been meaning to change his registration to Republican (really???  NOW? Like, you didn't like them before, but they are cool NOW??) and another said that we should get the F off his porch and slammed the door in our face.  That was just a few months ago, again a registered Dem, and it was because we were Dem volunteers and he is now a Trump supporter.  I haven't had anyone express any increased desire to vote now or vote more blue in light of Trump et al.  :(

However, in the spirit of this thread, BF and I are attempting to go canvassing once per month through the election.

I think that getting strangers to change their opinions based on one interaction would be really, really hard. (And kudos to you for the canvassing.) In my case, these are people I've had prolonged interactions with over many years, and most of our interactions have been about subjects other than politics, which unite us. In the case of the person I mentioned "converting," she and I have known each other for many years because we both reached out to a support group for stepmothers. So we went through a number of years struggling with issues common to that "group." The political stuff started gradually, because I'm fairly vocal on Facebook. It used to be she would post Republican stuff (not the insane over-the-top Infowars crap, just conservative-leaning perspectives on things), and then I noticed for a while that she went quiet (around the time Trump got nominated). Then when he was elected, I saw her little by little liking or commenting on an occasional post of mine. When I saw that, I would try to engage her and affirm her thought process. And then she would start participating in discussions in our private Facebook group.

Lately, she has been very vocal about being outraged by many the Trump administration's actions, and I think this separating children from their families thing is what sent her over the edge. That's when I had a long conversation with her about this and said, "Democratic outrage isn't going to change this, because Trump's base loves to make liberals angry. The only thing that will really have an influence is if registered Republicans commit to voting straight-party Democrat in protest, and are VOCAL about it." She agreed, and she even called her congress critters to tell them what she was doing and why.

There is good work to be done, person by person. It isn't easy, but it can have an effect.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #988 on: June 21, 2018, 03:52:25 PM »
It's been an insanely busy month what with weddings and graduations and all, but:
Took my 9 year old with me to canvass for House candidate. Response was good.

Took my preschooler with me to a vigil for the stolen immigrant children.

Planning to write a letter to the editor on how outraged I am that these children have been separated and shipped to NY of all places, with no end in sight. And how upset I am at how few limits there are to ICE powers.

Over the years my husband and I have voted occasionally for Republican candidates at the local level, like  board of selectman, mayor, etc. Not doing that any more.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache

LifeHappens

• Magnum Stache
  • Downshifting from 5th to 3rd Gear
« Reply #990 on: June 23, 2018, 01:13:35 PM »
Over the past couple weeks, my work team has decided we will not collect immigration status data to report to our federal funding agency.

greengardens

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #991 on: June 23, 2018, 02:36:15 PM »

I'd put myself in this camp, there are more of us than you think though maybe not as many as you'd hope. I changed my voter registration to "Independent" the day after the election. I was (am) so disgusted with the current Republican party and it seems to only grow each day. I don't know if I'd go as far to commit to voting straight democratic ticket - there are state level republicans that I admire, and major issues I disagree with dems on, but I'm definitely leaning that way at least at the federal level.

Back on topic: I've been contacting my MOCs all week asking them to fix the border situation, the EO the President signed isn't going to help anything. I've encouraged several friends to as well and think I've almost got my husband convinced to do so as well!

SisterX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #992 on: June 23, 2018, 10:54:45 PM »
I'm glad other people have had positive interactions with Republicans. On my end, apparently you have to be a "triggered libtard" to point out that defending putting children alone in concentration camps where they're being horribly abused, laughing about this, and trolling people, makes you not a nice person. (And yes, I did seriously just say "not a nice person" rather than "you're a fucking monster, dickweed. Shut the fuck up." Points? Or should I have gone for the latter?)

When that is the attitude on the other side, I'm really starting to hate people and to get rather pessimistic. I hate it. I've always been an optimist and now I'm like, "Yeah, I could totally see 45 starting nuclear war if Kim insulted his hair. Better come up with a plan, just in case." -_-

sui generis

• Bristles
« Reply #993 on: June 23, 2018, 11:37:08 PM »
I'm glad other people have had positive interactions with Republicans. On my end, apparently you have to be a "triggered libtard" to point out that defending putting children alone in concentration camps where they're being horribly abused, laughing about this, and trolling people, makes you not a nice person. (And yes, I did seriously just say "not a nice person" rather than "you're a fucking monster, dickweed. Shut the fuck up." Points? Or should I have gone for the latter?)

When that is the attitude on the other side, I'm really starting to hate people and to get rather pessimistic. I hate it. I've always been an optimist and now I'm like, "Yeah, I could totally see 45 starting nuclear war if Kim insulted his hair. Better come up with a plan, just in case." -_-

I feel you and I consider one of my "small daily acts of political resistance" to be NOT talking to people that don't share my values and beliefs already, like almost at all.  I know that retreating into our own bubbles is not what we are "supposed to be doing" nowadays and we are supposed to be trying hard to connect with other Americans (at least our side is, I don't think anyone is telling them they are supposed to be trying to interact with us).  But interacting successfully with those people is not one of my skills and I send love to those for whom it is and try to spend my time most effectively, using skills I do have, for the cause.  I consider it a big coup that I have gotten really good at clicking the "Thank you for your time. Have a nice day!" pre-written response in text-banking when I run into one of those horrors that goes off on one of their racist rants or some such.  Keeping my mouth shut is the most productive thing for our side that I can manage in those situations.

GrayGhost

• Bristles
« Reply #994 on: June 24, 2018, 12:36:06 AM »
As the story of family separations has developed, my conversations with friends and peers fall into one of two camps... there are the left leaning folks who have always been against POTUS who oppose the policy, and of those who lean right and support POTUS, the belief seems to be a combination of: we have to enforce our laws, illegal immigration is such an issue that we may have to use unpleasant techniques to enforce immigration laws, similar things have been done under previous administrations, and POTUS's detractors are not acting out of care for separated children because they failed to oppose other things that previous administrations have done. The first two points seem to be a matter of opinion and weighing various values, I have to do research to determine the truthfulness of the third point, and the fourth point, while strictly speaking not relevant to the topic at hand, does have a grain of truth to it... very hard to say that you care about the young victims of the Trump administration if you were pointedly silent about the young victims of the Obama administration's heavy-handed use of drones.
Student of Mustachianism since 2013

EricL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #995 on: June 24, 2018, 02:59:10 AM »
Uggh.  Immigration.  Yes, we have borders.  Yes, we have a right to enforce them.  But rethuglicans and libtartds conspired over 40 years ago to look the other way as Mexicans and Central Americans flooded the nation.  The libtards for a larger constituency; the rethuglicans for cheap, cheap labor.  Now not only have the horses left the barn but the hinges rusted off, the barn itself burned down, and there are weeds growing where it used to be.  There's no use closing the doors now!

The only useful solution is to make them citizens and tax them 'til they learn enough English to cope.  Building walls, separating children from parents, and all the rest of the frankly race baiting hysteria doesn't help the situation at all.  Though it does provide a perfectly useless tax expenditure.  And it really disturbs me ICE employs blatantly unconstitutional powers.  Like that won't have a spill over effect on actual American citizens. 
Gentleman of Leisure

sui generis

• Bristles
« Reply #996 on: June 24, 2018, 08:46:08 AM »
The last episode of Revisionist History was really interesting, about how border enforcement became a Thing a few decades ago and how it unintentionally caused much worse effects (particularly from the view of border enforcers, but also from the view of compassionate humans). Definitely check it out to get another perspective and learn about our country's big picture approach to immigration over the last few decades.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #997 on: June 24, 2018, 10:04:53 AM »
Let's all get back on track to posting actions. Anyone who wants to continue the conversation can go to the discussion thread. (I need to respond to something there myself, and I have some questions about immigration history.)

As well, please do not refer to large groups of people in insulting terms. "Rethuglican, libtard, monsters." There are people on this forum, and in this thread, that you're insulting.

I am working to get in touch with a volunteer lawyer group, to see if they need data help. Whatever you may think about current immigration policy, it is a deep American value that everyone should have adequate legal representation. Look at Adams representing British soldiers after the Boston massacre.

I am also going to look for travel canvassing buddies to Barbara Comstock's district. The VA primaries are over, and this is one of the most flippable districts.

Unfortunately with my new job I can't do much Beto texting anymore. It requires occasional follow up during the following days, and the available hours are when I'm at work. But I helped my friend from the Ossoff campaign get a field organizer job with them, and he just started last week!

jeninco

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #998 on: June 24, 2018, 08:29:13 PM »
Voting now, which I guess is (along with a bunch of research) my act for today.

Question: just how progressive/liberal a gubernatorial candidate is electable in the general election in my very purple state? I actually like 3/4 candidates, although for different reasons (obviously).

(Full disclosure: my state's not really purple: if you look at a map that shows districts, we're deep blue urban areas and deep red rural areas.)

Nicholas Carter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #999 on: June 25, 2018, 10:11:30 AM »
Not to like, speak for the room or anything, but for me, personally?
  • Family Reunification numbers stay the same, or increase by less than 5%
  • The policy of putting the people who enter the us seeking asylum on what is basically bail is reinstated
  • The limit on refugee resettlement is set to where it was in 1980, about 3x what it is now
  • The waiting period for getting a work visa while your asylum request is being processed is dropped down to 21 days. Government assistance is made available for the first 42 days.
  • A skills based admission program is introduced, replacing the current jobs visa process. This program has the ability to grant an unlimited number of green cards. It is funded at a level to process up to three times as many work visas as it does now.
  • No other changes are introduced to the number of people currently allowed to legally immigrate.
This isn't my Christmas wish list for immigration. If we're talking about what I personally would do with a magic wand: Border control is socialism, and I'm just about the most pro-capitalist person I know. "Open borders" is just a scary way of saying "free market of labor". Criminal acts are exactly as much a justification for government intervention in the free movement of peoples as they are a justification for government intervention in the free movement of guns.