Author Topic: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance  (Read 72342 times)

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
Re: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance
« Reply #800 on: September 06, 2017, 12:23:08 PM »
Can I just say how much I love this thread.

Almost as much as we all no doubt love MJ..:)

I'm not moving to Florida though..;)

OH THAT'S RIGHT YOU ARE NOT UNLEASH HELL. Whoops.

Awesome Poundwise!

I think forgetting your name when I met you was a bigger source of embarrassment..;)

It's two freaking letters man!! What the hell? :P
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

Exflyboy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #801 on: September 06, 2017, 12:44:48 PM »
Her name is not MJ...:)

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #802 on: September 06, 2017, 12:52:35 PM »
Her name is not MJ...:)

Shhh! Don't give away my secret!

I faxed both of my senators and my rep asking them to protect DACA.

Gillibrand is apparently crafting an amendment with Susan Collins to protect the rights of transgender people to serve in the military, so I will call to thank her.

Exflyboy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #803 on: September 06, 2017, 01:12:22 PM »
Don't worry.. I will have forgotten again by the time I share.. Old senile guy and all that..:)

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #804 on: September 12, 2017, 01:53:53 PM »
I voted today in NYC's primary election. The Democratic primary determines the winner of all of these races, so it's where the action is.

If you're an NYC resident, go vote. Or remind your friends if you know people in the city. Polls are open until 9 PM.

Election guide: https://www.nyccfb.info/nyc-votes/vgwelcome/primary-election-2017/

I canvassed for a city council candidate over the weekend. I will also be attending a debate on the New York Con-Con this weekend, since I can't figure out if I want it to happen or not.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 02:00:41 PM by MonkeyJenga »

CanuckExpat

• Handlebar Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #805 on: September 15, 2017, 11:24:53 AM »
In light of the ongoing news about DACA, Dreamers, etc, I'd like to take a moment to honor that time when the now President of the United States posed grinning with a taco bowl while giving the thumbs up and exclaimed "I love Hispanics!" (you couldn't make this stuff up).
Surely a great moment in the history of American race relations and institute of the POTUS

In more related news, my representative, Chris Collins decided not to respond to my email or fax asking about "fine people on both sides" so I called the office to harangue someone. I got a only semi polite and not very interested brush-off. Is it that hard to say Nazi's are bad and people who support Nazi's are bad. I guess Chris Collins the representative for the 27th congressional district likes nazis (or is afraid to stand up to people who do), who knew?

Need to decide if I write follow up letter/email/fax for the sake of saying how disappointed I am.

Was targetting Freedom35 but ended up retiring a couple years early. Currently Based in Buffalo for the summer.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #806 on: September 15, 2017, 12:47:31 PM »
Need to decide if I write follow up letter/email/fax for the sake of saying how disappointed I am.
Do it! 

I regularly send faxes, postcards, and e-mails if I'm displeased.  I also make calls regularly.  I think my responses show that people were angry about these things even if the representative ignores them.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #807 on: September 18, 2017, 08:10:41 AM »
I'm getting back to basics after taking a vacation, then working on a local primary. Today I made some calls to my Senators and Congressman, on the subject of the new ACA repeal attempt (Graham-Cassidy). I haven't been making many calls lately, shame on me.
 https://5calls.org/issue/recT4p3RFsud6rxuf

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #808 on: September 18, 2017, 03:36:08 PM »
I'm getting back to basics after taking a vacation, then working on a local primary. Today I made some calls to my Senators and Congressman, on the subject of the new ACA repeal attempt (Graham-Cassidy). I haven't been making many calls lately, shame on me.
 https://5calls.org/issue/recT4p3RFsud6rxuf

How was your primary experience?

I called my senators today about the terrible healthcare bill. Schumer I got thank for speaking out about it.

Tomorrow I will call about opposing Sam Clovis's nomination for chief scientist for department of agriculture. He is horrifying. (In one example, said marriage equality could lead to legalization of pedophilia.) (Also, has no experience in agricultural science.) (And doesn't believe in climate change.)

Poundwise, do you know any issues I could call Cuomo on? I feel like I need to get on him about something.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #809 on: September 19, 2017, 07:58:46 AM »
MJ, my personal favorite for the primary won, though I would have been okay with either. The primary was clean, positive, and issues-oriented, and raised my opinion of both candidates.  For the smaller elections, sadly some of the IDC-like, corrupt, fake Democrat incumbents in our county won the primaries. Since I'm not and never have been a Democrat, I couldn't in fact vote in any of these primaries but it's generally agreed that I'm more useful as a third party liaison so I will stay as I am.

Some were disappointed with the turnout; we're really going to have to up our game for the actual election in Nov. I'm feeling not a little anxiety because people in my group, myself included, have been a little sluggish of late. Because he's not corrupt or beholden to corporate interests, our candidate has much less than 1/10th of the incumbent Republican's war chest. So we are going to have to make up in sweat equity for what is lacking in money for glossy mailings, TV and Facebook ads.   

As for Cuomo, I don't have much except thank him for executive order 170.  I know NYC is up in arms about his tacit support of the IDC, but I think that will just be a political reality until the IDC candidates are voted out.

iris lily

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #810 on: September 19, 2017, 10:06:24 AM »
Every day since last Friday I am participating in political action  by *not* marching in St. Louis's daily race protests (mostly peaceful) as well as the rioting performed at night. Avoidance of all is a statement, wondering if anyone notices, haha.

Also, got out my spare "Thank You Police" sign and mounted it on our front fence. I suppose this will open us up to vandalism to our fnece or yard. Yay. The same sign resides permanently, and less promenantly, on our back fence.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 11:04:26 AM by iris lily »

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
« Reply #811 on: September 19, 2017, 10:28:42 AM »
Every day since last Friday I am participating in political action  by *not* marching in St. Louis's daily race protests (mostly peaceful) as well as the rioting performed at night by thugs. Avoidance of all is a statement, wondering if anyone notices, haha.

It would be really great if we could keep racist epithets like "thugs" out of this thread.

iris lily

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #812 on: September 19, 2017, 11:04:40 AM »
Every day since last Friday I am participating in political action  by *not* marching in St. Louis's daily race protests (mostly peaceful) as well as the rioting performed at night by thugs. Avoidance of all is a statement, wondering if anyone notices, haha.

It would be really great if we could keep racist epithets like "thugs" out of this thread.
Ok, I edited it.

MDM

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #813 on: September 19, 2017, 12:51:02 PM »
Oh dear, devotees of the goddess Kali might indeed be upset.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #814 on: September 19, 2017, 02:07:14 PM »
Called congresscritter and senator about latest health care bill. Got through on first rings.

Obviously they are depending on us only having so much outrage and strength, which is why they keep bringing it back worse and worse.
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
« Reply #815 on: September 19, 2017, 02:26:19 PM »
Thanks for editing, Iris Lily

Oh dear, devotees of the goddess Kali might indeed be upset.

MDM

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #816 on: September 19, 2017, 02:34:35 PM »

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #817 on: September 19, 2017, 08:51:29 PM »
I hope Jackie Rosen the Democrat candidate for Senate in Nevada can unseat the Republican incumbent Dean Heller.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #818 on: September 20, 2017, 07:32:10 AM »
Thank you Madgeylou & Iris Lily

ncornilsen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #819 on: September 20, 2017, 08:10:27 AM »

It would be really great if you could do something besides play the race card. Especially when it's not even a race thing.
Thug is not a racist term.

Thug applies to anyone who uses violence to get what they want. IE, union thugs assault people who don't sign authorization cards. Mafia thugs wreck up the place when they don't get protection money... etc. Not connected to race at all.

To the topic at hand, I called a senator of another state to voice my support for the Representation Fairness Restoration Act, since my senator (who lives in a new england state on the other side of the country... how does he even qualify??) doesn't care about such issues. I strongly oppose that a handful of union THUGS can decide for all of the other workers whether a union comes into their place of work. Case in point, my company soundly told a union NO recently... But they won't respect the will of the workers, and won't take no for an answer. They found a group of 95 people out of 3000 who probably will vote for the union... said they were a micro bargaining unit... Bam. union, despite a majority of workers not wanting it.

And I will not 'pipe down' and allow the bounds of thought to be framed by one particular group who seeks to use it to derail discussion and allow it to be an accepted part of discourse. but I will take it elsewhere.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 12:07:05 PM by ncornilsen »

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
« Reply #820 on: September 20, 2017, 08:12:59 AM »

It would be really great if you could do something besides play the race card. Especially when it's not even a race thing.

Thug applies to anyone who uses violence to get what they want. IE, union thugs assault people who don't sign authorization cards. Mafia thugs wreck up the place when they don't get protection money... etc. Not connected to race at all.

Super interesting how the word is so often used to discuss black folks protesting for their rights and almost never to describe white people burning shit down because their favorite sports team either won or lost a big game, tho, right?

At any rate, Iris Lily was happy enough to accommodate my very polite request, so why don't you pipe down and let the thread get back on topic?

iris lily

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #821 on: September 20, 2017, 08:13:34 AM »

Its a small thing. Be the bigger person, move on.

But, yeah.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #822 on: September 20, 2017, 08:47:56 AM »
If anybody lives in or knows people in Alaska, Arizona, or Maine, get people calling Murkowski, McCain, and Collins! They are the critical “No” votes on healthcare.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/09/19/murkowski_collins_mccain_will_again_decide_obamacare_repeal_s_fate.html

ncornilsen, please remove your reference to rapists in your post. Comparing unions to rapists is offensive in more than one way. It is also banned per forum rules.

Thank you ml and iris lily for resolving this minor disagreement between yourselves.

CanuckExpat

• Handlebar Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #823 on: September 20, 2017, 09:04:03 AM »
And I will not 'pipe down.' The 'RACISTS!!!!11!' thing is used far, far to often by the left to derail discussion of any opposing viewpoint.

If you want to continue discussing it (hopefully without generalities and bias), and without derailing this specific thread, I'm sure it would be welcome discussion here: Small Daily Acts of Political Discussion
Was targetting Freedom35 but ended up retiring a couple years early. Currently Based in Buffalo for the summer.

ncornilsen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #824 on: September 20, 2017, 09:20:04 AM »
If anybody lives in or knows people in Alaska, Arizona, or Maine, get people calling Murkowski, McCain, and Collins! They are the critical “No” votes on healthcare.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/09/19/murkowski_collins_mccain_will_again_decide_obamacare_repeal_s_fate.html

ncornilsen, please remove your reference to rapists in your post. Comparing unions to rapists is offensive in more than one way. It is also banned per forum rules.

Thank you ml and iris lily for resolving this minor disagreement between yourselves.

Done. However your second request was right on the edge of silly.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 12:09:02 PM by ncornilsen »

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #825 on: September 20, 2017, 09:26:48 AM »

Done.

Aw, and I was all set to thank you.

"like other dispicable people who force themselves on others, they don't accept that no means no" is not the answer. We all know what that means. Take it out. Please.

EricL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #826 on: September 20, 2017, 10:24:34 AM »
The "thug" thing - again.  Yeah, I know it's a side track, but it brings out a pet peeve of mine.  Right now the political environment is heavily polarized with an enormous amount of fear on both sides of the political spectrum.  Some of it is hysterical; downright silly.  Some of it is quite justified.  But one of the side effects is the polarization WITHIN the group as each element tries to prove it's ideologically "pure" by policing behavior and setting discussion frameworks.  Hell, you can see it inside the White House, Congress, and the other miscellaneous bits and allies of the so-called alt-right as they tear at each other.  And on "our" side it's people who want everyone to toe some ideological line or make some litmus test.  Well, you can have victory over this despicable administration and you may even achieve ideological, language purity based on whatever current grad school sociology trend.  But if you want both at the same time, don't hold your breath.  This is a struggle where allies are a little more important. 

Edit: I'll add that this should be considered but otherwise treated as the foam it is and ignored.  You can PM me if you agree or want to tell me to take my center/left views to Hillaryland and fuck off.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 10:30:52 AM by EricL »
Gentleman of Leisure

iris lily

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #827 on: September 20, 2017, 01:05:55 PM »
The "thug" thing - again.  Yeah, I know it's a side track, but it brings out a pet peeve of mine.  Right now the political environment is heavily polarized with an enormous amount of fear on both sides of the political spectrum.  Some of it is hysterical; downright silly.  Some of it is quite justified.  But one of the side effects is the polarization WITHIN the group as each element tries to prove it's ideologically "pure" by policing behavior and setting discussion frameworks.  Hell, you can see it inside the White House, Congress, and the other miscellaneous bits and allies of the so-called alt-right as they tear at each other.  And on "our" side it's people who want everyone to toe some ideological line or make some litmus test.  Well, you can have victory over this despicable administration and you may even achieve ideological, language purity based on whatever current grad school sociology trend.  But if you want both at the same time, don't hold your breath.  This is a struggle where allies are a little more important. 

Edit: I'll add that this should be considered but otherwise treated as the foam it is and ignored.  You can PM me if you agree or want to tell me to take my center/left views to Hillaryland and fuck off.
Eric, you are making far too much sense. Are you SURE you want to reside in
Hillaryland?

Alas, I have made no political action today, and am not planning anything for the rest of the week.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #828 on: September 20, 2017, 02:08:36 PM »
I considered mailing my senators about Yucca Mountain, but I suspect that's going to be more of a fight down the road. FYI, there is money allocated in the new budget to restart the application. Higher chance of passing now that Harry Reid is out.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #829 on: September 20, 2017, 10:06:15 PM »
Indivisible Guide resource on Graham-Cassidy: https://www.trumpcareten.org/

There's also a tool to text constituents in key states. PM me if you're interested in getting the link.

Another note on the newest ACA repeal attempt: everyone should be calling, regardless of whether they have a swing senator. If you’ve got a Republican determined to vote for it, tell them you’re angry! If a Democrat, say thank you! Especially if you live in West Virginia. Some liberals want to primary Manchin, but he’s held firm on ACA repeal. Thank him!

Pence said Trump told him to reach out to some Democrats, and he spoke to Sen. Joe Manchin III (D-W.Va.) over the weekend. But after reviewing the bill, Manchin said, he told Pence’s aides he could not support the legislation.

Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) said he’s confident no Democrat will vote for the legislation, because “it hurts people in every state.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/renewed-obamacare-repeal-effort-dealt-a-blow-as-governors-come-out-in-opposition/2017/09/19/499478fe-9d51-11e7-9083-fbfddf6804c2_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_healthcare-430pm-1%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.1affd8487788

I also emailed Schumer tonight about his vote on the defense spending bill.

I attended an anti-IDC protest today.

I attended a work group on NYS voter rights and helped plan our first action.

I hosted an informal debate yesterday on a NYS specific issue. Very well-received and informative. Even the guest speakers said it was one of the best they've attended on the topic.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 08:12:36 AM by MonkeyJenga »

MDM

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #830 on: September 20, 2017, 11:44:53 PM »

Eric, you are making far too much sense. Are you SURE you want to reside in
Hillaryland?

This is rude. Please stop insulting the bulk of people in this thread.
OK, I'll bite - where exactly is an insult in any of the above?

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #831 on: September 21, 2017, 08:13:12 AM »
I deleted. Not important, and I don't want to derail.

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
« Reply #832 on: September 21, 2017, 11:40:36 AM »
Out of the country, but I am resist-botting everyday about the ridiculous last-ditch ACA repeal effort / craven cash grab / attempt to shit on Obama's legacy:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/26/koch-network-piggy-banks-closed-republicans-healthcare-tax-reform

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #833 on: September 21, 2017, 04:31:38 PM »
This is a hyper local thing, but people on my street are asking for the city to pay to put in speed bumps. The city did a review, the street doesn't meet the technical criteria. The city did a survey, while the majority of people who answered said they wanted speed bumps, the response rate didn't meet their criteria. So now my councilor is asking us to take another survey so she can decide whether to ask for it to be revisited.

No, we do not need speed bumps. We are in the city and close to two highways, in return for that convenience, we will have people driving on our street. And according to the specs, not too many and not too fast (I shall trust Prospector's colleagues on this).

So I took the survey. There are so many more important things to spend money on in this city.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #834 on: Today at 10:41:02 AM »
Finally something to call our governors about as a change. My God, Christie is ahead of Cuomo on this!

https://5calls.org/issue/recs368Tv3hj2JVSN

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #835 on: Today at 10:46:41 AM »
From an Indivisible member who's been using a cool new tool for blue-staters to reach red-state voters:

Indivisible has given us an opportunity today and Monday as we try to defeat this healthcare / tax cut bill. I'm pretty excited about it and I wanted to share it all with you. What would it be like if we all tried it? It's a calling tool that  allows *you* to connect constituents in key states like WV, AK, TN, OH, and AZ with their senators. It's easy. You can either call with or without a computer in front of you. Once you sign up, you'll be assigned to a state, and given all the info you need.

https://www.trumpcareten.org/calls-to-kill-trumpcare

I got assigned to Arizona. *Sources say Senator McCain is going to make a decision in the next few days.*

Sure, I got a couple no's, but in the short time that I called, I got a lot of people thanking me for being with Indivisible, and several people who wanted me to patch them through to Senator McCain's office so that they could tell him to vote no. That's what I did. I just told them to "stay on the line, and I'll connect you," and pushed a button on the screen.

The list they have seems pretty good, and the system is smooth. This is something Indivisible has really worked hard to develop - and it's _for us._ Check it out. This is one of those historic moments where we need to say that we did everything we could, connecting with people across the country and getting them to show their constituent power.

Finally something to call our governors about as a change. My God, Christie is ahead of Cuomo on this!

https://5calls.org/issue/recs368Tv3hj2JVSN

Look at that! Just what I wanted. Thanks Poundwise.

Nice going, plainjane! There are probably a lot of people not bothering to respond.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #836 on: Today at 12:12:37 PM »
HEALTHCARE UPDATE

John McCain has officially come out against Graham-Cassidy.

"I cannot in good conscience vote for Graham-Cassidy. A bill impacting so many lives deserves a bipartisan approach."

https://twitter.com/SenJohnMcCain/status/911290557191921664

LifeHappens

• Handlebar Stache
  • Downshifting from 5th to 3rd Gear
« Reply #837 on: Today at 12:26:31 PM »
I thanked my Rep for all the good work his office has done in communicating during and after Irma. I disagree with him on 99% of all issues, but they really have been helpful in this area. I'll go back to berating him about tax reform next week.

P.S. Thank you, John McCain!!

Exflyboy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #838 on: Today at 12:27:23 PM »
Thank god!

The asswipes could still stop the federal subsidies though.