Author Topic: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance  (Read 73087 times)

LifeHappens

• Handlebar Stache
  • Downshifting from 5th to 3rd Gear
Re: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance
« Reply #700 on: June 08, 2017, 07:57:22 AM »
Done, Poundwise. Thanks for the alert. I was quite proud of myself for calling the resolution "a bad deal for American consumers." I've been studying George Lakoff's work and trying to incorporate his framing ideas into my messages.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #701 on: June 08, 2017, 08:27:07 AM »
Yay everyone!

Note on calling about upcoming votes: if you want your opinion to influence the vote, call at least one day BEFORE the vote happens. Calls and emails are tallied at the end of the day, so politicians won't get your opinion on this until the day after you call.

It's still useful to call after the vote, to either say thanks or "bad girl" in iris lily's immortal words. ;)

Done, Poundwise. Thanks for the alert. I was quite proud of myself for calling the resolution "a bad deal for American consumers." I've been studying George Lakoff's work and trying to incorporate his framing ideas into my messages.

I'm in a new group dedicated to studying framing and passing our ideas up to D pols. PM me if you want to join our call June 12, 5-6 pm EST.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #702 on: June 08, 2017, 02:00:51 PM »
I would specifically like to know how to frame the reproductive choice argument to Republicans in the Bible Belt. If you have any calls like that coming up, I would be very interested.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #703 on: June 08, 2017, 09:42:14 PM »
And, on a lighter note, we have the British elections:

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #704 on: June 09, 2017, 12:47:25 AM »
And, on a lighter note, we have the British elections:

This makes me love the country I live in.

Forever Wednesday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #705 on: June 09, 2017, 04:11:57 AM »
^ I'm willing to bet that Elmo would secure us a better Brexit deal than May. :)

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #706 on: June 09, 2017, 08:59:19 AM »
Congrats you happy Brits!!  But to get back onto topic please,

Called my senators begging them to stop the Senate version of AHCA.  Phone was picked up within 2 rings on the main Washington line-- a bad sign.  We need to get off our butts and start calling again, and get friends and family to call!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 09:06:19 AM by Poundwise »

meerkat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #707 on: June 09, 2017, 10:03:47 AM »
Called my senators begging them to stop the Senate version of AHCA.  Phone was picked up within 2 rings on the main Washington line-- a bad sign.  We need to get off our butts and start calling again, and get friends and family to call!

I've heard that phone calls are back to pre-election levels. I don't have a source for that though, if anyone does it would be welcome. I'm going to try to find time to call later today.
meer journal for a meerkat

Will this matter in ten years?

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #708 on: June 09, 2017, 10:14:24 AM »

I've heard that phone calls are back to pre-election levels. I don't have a source for that though, if anyone does it would be welcome. I'm going to try to find time to call later today.

I have also heard that. I'm going to call on my layover, and I've been coordinating with other NY'ers to see what responses they've been getting so far. Schumer is being really wishy-washy.

For now I'm going to Resistbot it and text them.

Shameful confession: I've been slacking on calls. I've used the excuse that I'm doing so many other things, but I need to call. It's so basic. Y'all are going to be my accountability buddies.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #709 on: June 09, 2017, 11:59:37 AM »
So a couple of weeks ago, I attended a talk given by some congressional staffers, and they said that when we call, they check our names with a database of people who called already, so duplicate calls by the same person on the same issue don't really help that much (unless of course you have more info to add, like a personal story about why the issue is important to you.)

So if you already called your senators on AHCA (and you have to call each one separately, doesn't count that you already called your House rep), the biggest thing you can do is contact family and friends and get them to call.

Also, in solidarity with Labour supporters, some friends & I bought British cheese today in celebration!

CanuckExpat

• Handlebar Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #710 on: June 09, 2017, 11:29:37 PM »
I'm posting here to remind myself that I have a new location, and new representatives for the time being. Apparently I'm in the NY 27th now. Next step to find out what local groups might be active with things going on. Congressman's office seems to be out of easy bike riding distance, that takes away half the fun :(

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #711 on: June 10, 2017, 09:09:57 AM »
So a couple of weeks ago, I attended a talk given by some congressional staffers, and they said that when we call, they check our names with a database of people who called already, so duplicate calls by the same person on the same issue don't really help that much (unless of course you have more info to add, like a personal story about why the issue is important to you.)

So if you already called your senators on AHCA (and you have to call each one separately, doesn't count that you already called your House rep), the biggest thing you can do is contact family and friends and get them to call.

Also, in solidarity with Labour supporters, some friends & I bought British cheese today in celebration!

I've only heard that it's not worth it to call multiple offices on the same day. Is the list of who's called EVER, or who called that day? Week? Month? I mean, Senate AHCA is a new thing. And Indivisible people said keep calling every day, because the calls get tallied. They didn't say the dupes get filtered out... At the state-level, there could be multiple people with the same name. Schumer's staff hasn't been taking zip codes, so how would they know whether I'm the same person?

This may be different depending on the politician.

ALSO. I have a personal example that contradicts this. Someone in my district group called our congressperson every day for a couple weeks about a specific bill, asking MoC to co-sponsor. Finally MoC became co-sponsor. When we met with MoC, they said, "Oh, that was you!"

This may apply more to issues where not a lot of attention is being paid, but I think calling repeatedly can work.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 09:11:40 AM by MonkeyJenga »

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #712 on: June 10, 2017, 09:12:24 AM »
I called Schumer and Gillibrand yesterday about the AHCA. I also said in general keep resisting.

I gave two people information on how to canvass for Jon Ossoff.

I gave feedback to an Indivisible friend on a speech he's going to give.

I'm posting here to remind myself that I have a new location, and new representatives for the time being. Apparently I'm in the NY 27th now. Next step to find out what local groups might be active with things going on. Congressman's office seems to be out of easy bike riding distance, that takes away half the fun :(

Here you go: http://www.luprogressives.org/event/a-demonstration-to-demand-answers-from-chris-collins/

"Sponsors: WNY Peace Center, ACTion Buffalo, Citizens Against Collins, Turning Election Emotion Into Action, #BuffaloResists, Huddle for the 27th, Indivisible NY 27th"

https://www.meetup.com/Resist-Rochester/events/238762055/

Hosted by: Michelle Johnston Schoeneman
Sponsored by: GLOW Progressives, WNY Peace Center, Buffalo Resists, Sister District for WNY, Indivisible NY 27th, Citizens Against Collins

Past events with contact info for hosts:

https://actionnetwork.org/events/rally7-chris-collins-were-still-here-you-arent?source=widget
https://actionnetwork.org/events/die-in-ny-27-chris-collins-geneseo?referrer=indivisible-austin-2&source=twitter

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #713 on: June 10, 2017, 03:44:58 PM »
I've only heard that it's not worth it to call multiple offices on the same day. Is the list of who's called EVER, or who called that day? Week? Month? I mean, Senate AHCA is a new thing. And Indivisible people said keep calling every day, because the calls get tallied. They didn't say the dupes get filtered out... At the state-level, there could be multiple people with the same name. Schumer's staff hasn't been taking zip codes, so how would they know whether I'm the same person?

Gillibrand's staffer said they filter out the duplicates.  My current routine now is to make a call daily, new issue each time.  If/when I run out of new issues (doesn't happen often, sadly), I'll start over if the phones aren't jammed. Otherwise, if they are busy and I've already called on that issue, I won't make the call, so that other people can get through.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #714 on: June 10, 2017, 07:44:41 PM »

Gillibrand's staffer said they filter out the duplicates.  My current routine now is to make a call daily, new issue each time.  If/when I run out of new issues (doesn't happen often, sadly), I'll start over if the phones aren't jammed. Otherwise, if they are busy and I've already called on that issue, I won't make the call, so that other people can get through.

Good to know, thanks. I'll check with Schumer's office to see if they have the same policy, then let my groups know.

Luck12

• Bristles
« Reply #715 on: June 11, 2017, 11:46:26 AM »
Don't know if I have mentioned before but bears repeating:  You can call any Senator or Rep, just use a fake name and fake zip code.   I've contacted over 30 different reps and Senators using this approach.   Imagine if everyone did this. 

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #716 on: June 12, 2017, 07:30:47 AM »
Don't know if I have mentioned before but bears repeating:  You can call any Senator or Rep, just use a fake name and fake zip code.   I've contacted over 30 different reps and Senators using this approach.   Imagine if everyone did this.

I'm not a fan of this approach.  They're already claiming that they are getting fake calls as a way of delegitimizing the ones they are getting.  Be your best self.  Take the high road.
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

iris lily

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #717 on: June 12, 2017, 08:01:05 AM »
Not ethical, and actually dispicable. If you come into my state to lobby for a state issue and you arent a voter here affected by the legislation, you can go and ...well, I think you know what you can do.

But a small donation buys you a call, or a series of calls, IMHO. If there is a key Congressman you want ro lobby more than once, give them a donation. When you call you can say you are a donor to his/her campaign. They may tally that call differently, or may not tally ot at all. But remaining ethical in your dealigs is important, I think.

And I think by posting this tip you have set back Indivisible a step or two.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 08:03:15 AM by iris lily »

Luck12

• Bristles
« Reply #718 on: June 12, 2017, 08:45:45 AM »

I'm not a fan of this approach.  They're already claiming that they are getting fake calls as a way of delegitimizing the ones they are getting.  Be your best self.  Take the high road.

And look where that's gotten us.  You have asshole McConell invoking a rule to bypass the entire regular legislative procedure for a Senate bill.  Not to mention the Merrick Garland bullshit.   Fuck the whole going high BS, we need to fight with all that we have.  People will die, they will go bankrupt as a result of this.   I would say it's our moral imperative to do what we have to do. 

Everything a congressman votes for can potentially affect us so in essence they represent everybody so I don't see any ethical issues. 

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #719 on: June 12, 2017, 09:08:34 AM »
I do believe that this thread is for ways to 'resist' within the current political framework. Don't get me wrong, that framework needs some changes, but when it comes to manipulating that framework, I don't know that this would be the place to discuss that, and would probably be better suited for somewhere else.
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #720 on: June 12, 2017, 10:07:28 AM »
Luck12, not only is that a bad idea for image reasons, I don't think it works the way you think it does. I believe congressional offices check voter registration rolls.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #721 on: June 12, 2017, 05:02:18 PM »
I totally agree with your anger Luck12. I think it helps to go to political marches and demonstrations.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #722 on: June 12, 2017, 05:22:21 PM »

I understand the impulse. Everybody is affected by the collective House. That being said, I don't advocate doing this, and I have seen org leaders specifically tell people not to do it.

I have heard that one option to reach other reps is call on behalf of a specific person who can't call themselves for whatever reason. You would say, "I'm calling on behalf of XYZ in zip whatever, blah blah vote this way."

If people have constructive advice, feel free to share!

And I think by posting this tip you have set back Indivisible a step or two.

I don't think Luck12 said they were affiliated with Indivisible. I know the groups I'm in have said not to do it. With grassroots efforts, there will always be individuals doing their own thing.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #723 on: June 12, 2017, 05:27:14 PM »
SPEAKING OF INDIVISIBLE

They have put out a comprehensive guide around Trumpcare: https://www.indivisibleguide.com/stop-trumpcare/

They are also coordinating with local chapters to have weekly Wednesday calls on the topic.

Specific asks: https://www.indivisibleguide.com/resource/stop-trumpcare-june-action-plan/

For Republican Senators: They need to know that you demand that they vote AGAINST TrumpCare. Voting yes means ripping away health care from millions of Americans. It means voting against the interest of their constituents to give Donald Trump a victory. We have resources on our website specific to your Senators that you should use when communicating with staff.

Ask them to commit to voting against any bill that will result in anyone losing coverage.
Ask them to commit to voting against any bill that does not guarantee people with pre-existing conditions wonít see higher premiums.
Ask them to vote against to any bill that eliminates funding for Medicaid.

For Democratic Senators: Does your Democratic Senator already oppose TrumpCare? Great. Now, what else are they doing to stop the bill from passing? They should be as fired up as you are, they should be doing everything within their power to stop or slow the process in the Senate. Ask them to withhold consent on all Senate business until Republicans agree to hold a public hearing on TrumpCare.

Indivisible groups are going to have an impact because these actions will happen all across the country. Itís important to engage in this plan in every state. That being said, there are a few frontline members that should receive some extra pressure: Susan Collins (ME), Lisa Murkowski (AK), Dean Heller (NV), Shelley Moore Capito (WV), Bill Cassidy (LA), Rob Portman (OH), Tom Cotton (AR), Cory Gardner (CO), Jeff Flake (AZ), Pat Toomey (PA) and Dan Sullivan (AK).

If you know anyone in those states above, ask them to call!

SisterX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #724 on: June 13, 2017, 09:29:46 AM »
I'll start bugging friends and family in Alaska to get on this. :)

Physicsteacher

• Bristles
« Reply #725 on: June 13, 2017, 10:22:38 AM »
I'm in Arkansas. I'll call and resume bugging others to do the same.

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #726 on: June 13, 2017, 12:31:08 PM »
Note sent to my republican senator:

Hello Senator Gardner (or staffer who reads this),

I'm an independent voter, and while I am not superbly attached to the ACA, I request that you vote against the travesty that is TrumpCare. It's a poorly thought out plan (and I use this term loosely), and it seems like a step in the wrong direction. I don't feel that legislation should be introduced that takes things away, especially without some kind of road map to make those things less of an issue for those who would be negatively affected. I'd like to be able to tell people that my senator voted against it, and you will not vote to give a win to a party at the expense of other people. This is damaging enough legislation that if you do not choose to stop this, I will not give you my vote in the future.

Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

meerkat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #727 on: June 15, 2017, 07:38:16 AM »

I'm an independent voter, and while I am not superbly attached to the ACA, I request that you vote against the travesty that is TrumpCare. It's a poorly thought out plan (and I use this term loosely), and it seems like a step in the wrong direction. I don't feel that legislation should be introduced that takes things away, especially without some kind of road map to make those things less of an issue for those who would be negatively affected. I'd like to be able to tell people that my senator voted against it, and you will not vote to give a win to a party at the expense of other people. This is damaging enough legislation that if you do not choose to stop this, I will not give you my vote in the future.

Thanks for this, I paraphrase it a bit when calling my own Republican Senator. I also emailed a thank you to my Democratic Senator. Looking back in my call history it's the first time I've called in a month! I didn't realize it had been so long.
meer journal for a meerkat

Will this matter in ten years?

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #728 on: June 15, 2017, 08:07:24 AM »

Thanks for this, I paraphrase it a bit when calling my own Republican Senator. I also emailed a thank you to my Democratic Senator. Looking back in my call history it's the first time I've called in a month! I didn't realize it had been so long.

Glad it's of use. I actually wound up adding another paragraph, drawing parallels between his 'all of the above' energy policy and what his vote should be on healthcare. He won't commit to purely renewable resources, because he says that it would be too big of a shock to the economy and prices of energy. Guess what? A big dumb change to healthcare would be a huge shock to the economy and the prices of, well, health.

Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #729 on: June 15, 2017, 05:08:29 PM »
If you are on Twitter, check out @ezralevin for strategies on defeating the health care bill.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #730 on: June 17, 2017, 06:32:14 AM »
Thank you everyone for all that you're doing.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #731 on: June 17, 2017, 11:16:34 AM »
Thank you too, DavidAnnArbor! :)

I just finished canceling/changing payment source for 12 automatic payments on my CapitalOne card. It isn't such a great card anymore but I never got around to changing my accounts out of inertia. However, I want to cancel my account with CapOne because they continue to support Hannity on Fox.  Will do so as soon as everything percolates through.

This action had the added win that I have changed the payments over to a newer card with better bonuses.

BlueHouse

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #732 on: June 17, 2017, 11:31:27 AM »
. If you come into my state to lobby for a state issue and you arent a voter here affected by the legislation, you can go and ...well, I think you know what you can do.
I think there is an exception to this sentiment and I hope you'll agree.  As a resident of Washington DC, I don't have voting representation in Congress and other members of Congress from other states can and do override what voters here have voted on.  When they make rules (or disallow rules that we've put in place) that regulate my life, I should have the right to contact them and be heard the same as any other constituent.  Of course, they don't always agree and sometimes tell us that they don't represent us, even while they try to loosen gun laws on our turf.
Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #733 on: June 22, 2017, 04:12:17 PM »
(Called Senators repeatedly, got busy signals)

Emailed Senators to register opposition to health care bill.

LifeHappens

• Handlebar Stache
  • Downshifting from 5th to 3rd Gear
« Reply #734 on: June 23, 2017, 06:55:41 AM »
I've been using the Resist bot to fax my Republican Senator. I've been getting through with no problems.

I have figured out the bot is a little glitchy. If you want to send a multi-sentence message it works best to type each sentence out individually, send the text and wait for the bot to ask if you have more to say. Just typing a big paragraph tends to result in part of the message getting truncated.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #735 on: June 23, 2017, 09:43:53 AM »
MJ, you inspired some resistance over here.  Not part of the main organizing group, but I picketed and got others to picket, and we all piled into the Chamber for the vote.  We lost, now we gear up for the appeal.

Can I point out to all you Americans that what happens in the US often spills over into Canada?  Although here the company proposing the plant is European, I think Italian but not sure.  Most of the cement will be exported to the US, so we are looking at pollution (air and dust [<10 microns, which is damaging]), potential damage to agriculture which is our biggest activity in the region, plus major increased traffic, with little local benefit.

https://thereview.ca/2017/06/14/mayors-hold-line-on-cement-plant/
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

deadlymonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #736 on: June 23, 2017, 10:18:29 AM »
Just wanted to point out that Mitch McConnell had Polio as a child and was treated and recovered at government expense.  March of Dimes funded it which started out as a government program.  He now wants to deprive others from that same opportunity with his healthcare act.

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
« Reply #737 on: June 23, 2017, 11:31:51 AM »
Just wanted to point out that Mitch McConnell had Polio as a child and was treated and recovered at government expense.  March of Dimes funded it which started out as a government program.  He now wants to deprive others from that same opportunity with his healthcare act.

This was a really interesting point to me, so I Snopes-ed it -- but Snopes says it's false: http://www.snopes.com/mitch-mcconnell-polio-government-healthcare/

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #738 on: June 24, 2017, 05:34:22 AM »
Thanks for the fact check, madgeylou! I fell for that meme too.

Picking myself up after a general slump, I requested permission to run a voter registration table in the hours leading up to our municipality's Fourth of July fireworks. There will be crowds of people passing by, hopefully feeling patriotic! Have got one other volunteer & need to find some more (pending permission.)

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #739 on: June 24, 2017, 01:57:30 PM »
MJ, you inspired some resistance over here.  Not part of the main organizing group, but I picketed and got others to picket, and we all piled into the Chamber for the vote.  We lost, now we gear up for the appeal.

High five!
Picking myself up after a general slump, I requested permission to run a voter registration table in the hours leading up to our municipality's Fourth of July fireworks. There will be crowds of people passing by, hopefully feeling patriotic! Have got one other volunteer & need to find some more (pending permission.)

Awesome! I may suggest a similar event for NYC.

CanuckExpat

• Handlebar Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #740 on: June 24, 2017, 02:04:48 PM »
Tomorrow is Day of Dinners:

Greenback Reproduction Specialist

• Bristles
« Reply #741 on: June 29, 2017, 01:14:25 PM »
^--- This, gives good people on the left a bad reputation.

How you present and conduct yourself in the face of opposition says more about you than winning.
FIRE.... Remember, it's closer than it feels.

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
« Reply #742 on: June 29, 2017, 07:59:02 PM »
^--- This, gives good people on the left a bad reputation.

How you present and conduct yourself in the face of opposition says more about you than winning.

Ummmm ... really? When the Congressional GOP is willing to do fucking anything and everything to tear down our country's safety net, we should worry about phone etiquette? I mean, maybe you don't want to do it but I'm not gonna judge anyone who does.

In other more on-topic news, I continue to call Cory Gardner every day, at least once, and some days at every office. Right now the Denver police are arresting and removing half a dozen badass disability rights advocates who have been sitting in Gardner's office the last two nights. Many of them are in wheelchairs.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/6/29/15893492/activist-protest-trumpcare-resistance

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #743 on: June 29, 2017, 08:06:16 PM »
Wow really great political activism there !!!

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #744 on: June 30, 2017, 07:43:01 AM »
In other more on-topic news, I continue to call Cory Gardner every day, at least once, and some days at every office. Right now the Denver police are arresting and removing half a dozen badass disability rights advocates who have been sitting in Gardner's office the last two nights. Many of them are in wheelchairs.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/6/29/15893492/activist-protest-trumpcare-resistance

Based only on some quick research, I bet the Gardner's office is very confused, seeing as how the people in his office haven't even been asked to leave, let alone arrested. That article mentions the arrests in Arkansas, and a tweet about arrests in DC. Did I somehow miss something in the article?
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
« Reply #745 on: June 30, 2017, 07:46:19 AM »

Based only on some quick research, I bet the Gardner's office is very confused, seeing as how the people in his office haven't even been asked to leave, let alone arrested. That article mentions the arrests in Arkansas, and a tweet about arrests in DC. Did I somehow miss something in the article?

The article I linked came out prior to the arrests. I watched the arrests happening live on Facebook at the same time that I was writing this post.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/06/29/cory-gardner-office-protest-removal/

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #746 on: June 30, 2017, 07:51:57 AM »

The article I linked came out prior to the arrests. I watched the arrests happening live on Facebook at the same time that I was writing this post.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/06/29/cory-gardner-office-protest-removal/

Ah, probably not that confused then. I'll have to reach out.
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

Greenback Reproduction Specialist

• Bristles
« Reply #747 on: June 30, 2017, 11:07:44 AM »

Ummmm ... really? When the Congressional GOP is willing to do fucking anything and everything to tear down our country's safety net, we should worry about phone etiquette? I mean, maybe you don't want to do it but I'm not gonna judge anyone who does.

I would say behaving like you are suggesting does more harm to the good of the country than you think. You don't garner any influence or build alliances by behaving like a 3 year old, why stoop to that level?
FIRE.... Remember, it's closer than it feels.

bb11

• Bristles
« Reply #748 on: June 30, 2017, 11:09:48 AM »
Wow, awesome thread! Following.

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
« Reply #749 on: June 30, 2017, 05:59:34 PM »

I would say behaving like you are suggesting does more harm to the good of the country than you think. You don't garner any influence or build alliances by behaving like a 3 year old, why stoop to that level?

Clearly we disagree on this, and that's fine because this discussion is off topic anyway. But I do want to point out that our president has in fact garnered influences and building alliances EXACTLY by behaving like a 3 year old. So your logic doesn't hold.

I called Cory Gardner's office today to ask for a Town Hall, which I know will be fruitless but it's still worth asking. I then called another office to ask that he not vote for the healthcare bill.

It does seem like people's stamina for resistance is dropping off and it bums me out but I guess I've gone through my unmotivated phases, too. I just hope we can stand strong enough to stop some of the more terrible shit that they are trying to pull.

Like this voting fraud investigation, where all 50 states are supposed to provide voting records including some info that is not public. I'm sure that is TOTALLY INNOCENT. I called my Governor and Secretary of State about that today too ...