Author Topic: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance  (Read 43454 times)

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
Re: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance
« Reply #650 on: April 05, 2017, 03:27:52 AM »
You can phonebank, donate, and/or or vote in upcoming elections:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BlueMidterm2018/comments/62p0hn/phonebank_list_updated

April 11th- James Thompson for Congress (Kansas)
April 18th- khalid kamau for City Council (Georgia)
April 18th- Jon Ossoff for Congress (Georgia)
June 15th Julie Bird Ashworth (Tennessee)
Last one to panic wins!

My Rohingya Refugee Charity (now Tax Exempt!)

I'm an enemy of POTUS, VPOTUS, and the privately funded political system that inflicted them upon us.

meerkat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #651 on: April 05, 2017, 05:18:24 PM »
meer journal for a meerkat

Will this matter in ten years?

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #652 on: April 08, 2017, 06:41:23 AM »

Thanks Malaysia41, I donated to Thompson through your link, and phonebanked a little too!  He's the dark horse from Kansas... special elections in 3 days!  I hear he's turning out to be a surprise hit, despite being in a ruby-red state, having little or no support from the national or state Democratic party, and no press from nationwide campaigns like flippable and Sister District who focused on Ossoff, whose race was seen as winnable.   The House Republicans have been pouring money into the race at the last minute, and even Pence and Cruz are mobilizing against him.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #653 on: April 10, 2017, 10:58:49 AM »
I've been doing so many things... Fundraising, tabling, phone banking, organizing meetings, going down to Georgia this week to GOTV for Ossoff, who we're going to have a pool party with!

Right now I'm getting awareness around the Kansas race by sharing this on Facebook. You can post this too and tag friends you know are active.

There's a really tight race going on in Kansas TOMORROW. We have a chance to flip a red district blue! If you have half an hour today, please call some voters for James Thompson. They give you a script, and the system you call into automatically connects you to voters. Easy peasy. http://www.votejamesthompson.com/phonebank?

If I can do this with terrible cramps, you have no excuse.

Also, can we please all be nice? Even if we disagree? This thread is intended for resistance against the Republicans and making sure Dems support that goal, but Iris lily has given some valuable suggestions on how to make a difference.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 12:39:09 PM by MonkeyJenga »
MJ Is A GD Ray of Sunshine

Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance

For one simple action a day texted to you: https://dailyaction.org - text DAILY to 228466 (ACTION)

Indivisible Guide for local groups taking action: https://www.indivisibleguide.com

meerkat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #654 on: April 17, 2017, 09:00:18 AM »
My local Indivisible is getting more sporadic about sending out the daily action email, but even though I didn't get one today I did make a point of calling my rep to verify that he changed his mind on Trump disclosing his tax returns and also to thank him for doing two town halls in my area in two months, and being respectful about fully answering constituents' questions when he was there. Both town halls were organized by the local Indivisible group and I wasn't able to attend either one, but I still appreciate that he took the time to come to them. Even though I disagree strongly with a bunch of his political views, I do feel that he's conducting himself very well in his actions and given how divided things feel right now in our country it's nice to be able to reach out with a friendly message. Too bad there's a video clip of him accidentally admitting that he thinks he works for the president first and his constituents second-ish.
meer journal for a meerkat

Will this matter in ten years?

Unique User

• Bristles
« Reply #655 on: April 19, 2017, 09:54:15 AM »

Don't forget May 25th - Rob Quist for Congress (Montana).  I think the SC election for Mick Mulvaney's seat will be in June, but they have to hold the primaries first. 

CanuckExpat

• Handlebar Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #656 on: May 01, 2017, 08:07:23 AM »
MJ can slap my wrist if I'm off topic, but political affiliate aside, I think we can all agree about the horrible merchandise (I mean political merchandise in general, but some of it is more horrible than others)

In more relevant material. How are things going? I've been mobile again and left my previous local Indivisible group so I don't see updates. Going to be stationary again for a while.

Latest thing pissing me off is going to be random announcements about leaving trade agreements. I really assume at some point the Republican oligarchy would stand up as the party of the rich and say "stop making us poor again", but the isolation seems to be winning over staying great.
Was targetting Freedom35 but ended up retiring a couple years early. Currently Based in Buffalo for the summer.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #657 on: May 01, 2017, 10:04:25 AM »
Spent the afternoon knocking on doors in my community and informing them about upcoming local elections.  Well out of my comfort zone, and I was dreading it for weeks, but in the end a surprisingly positive experience.  We found and informed a surprising number of people who had no idea about off year elections, as well as enjoyed good conversations with several interested voters. Some even invited us for coffee! Would do it again. 

LifeHappens

• Handlebar Stache
  • Downshifting from 5th to 3rd Gear
« Reply #658 on: May 04, 2017, 10:16:13 AM »
Voiced my opposition to the AHCA. My Rep is SUPER Red, so I framed it as damaging to small business owners and entrepreneurs like me.

iris lily

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #659 on: May 04, 2017, 11:03:02 AM »
Spent the afternoon knocking on doors in my community and informing them about upcoming local elections.  Well out of my comfort zone, and I was dreading it for weeks, but in the end a surprisingly positive experience.  We found and informed a surprising number of people who had no idea about off year elections, as well as enjoyed good conversations with several interested voters. Some even invited us for coffee! Would do it again.
that is the HARD chit, I think. Knocking on doors, ugh. So,  good for you!

LifeHappens

• Handlebar Stache
  • Downshifting from 5th to 3rd Gear
« Reply #660 on: May 04, 2017, 12:27:13 PM »

Agreed. Awesome work, Poundwise.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #661 on: May 04, 2017, 12:30:52 PM »

Agreed. Awesome work, Poundwise.
WOW!  You're awesome, Poundwise!  I struggle with making phone calls!

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #662 on: May 12, 2017, 12:48:16 PM »
Thanks Iris, LifeHappens, 4alpacas!  Actually it was much easier than I expected,  after having been hardened by internet trolls and making phone calls. People are usually quite nice face to face, and it's easier to avoid misunderstandings. I followed up in the last week by going to two protests (I was too early for one protest, and ended up walking around alone with a sign like a crazy person, and being yelled at by some mean ladies in MAGA hats.)

I think after having been through all this, I'm pretty much prepared for anything except perhaps being arrested or beaten up (and hopefully it will never come to that).  It's been a growing experience for me. I've had to overcome a lot of fears and anxieties. Even if I achieve nothing politically, at least I have accomplished a lot of positive personal development in only half a year.

I recognize that all this activism is not for everyone.  Probably, a lot of it can be bypassed by donating money to politicians and causes that we support. But this is MMM after all, where we do it ourselves instead of paying to outsource. ;)

jooniFLORisploo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #663 on: May 12, 2017, 08:05:12 PM »
Poundwise, what an absolutely inspiring post!

SisterX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #664 on: May 12, 2017, 09:35:17 PM »
Mother's Day idea: donate some money to help other mothers get out of jail. These are women who can't pay bail. They're in jail without having stood trial, almost always for very minor offenses. They deserve to be with their families too.

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #665 on: May 13, 2017, 05:57:36 PM »
I have not been posting much on this thread, but I have been staying politically active. My latest project seems like one I should share here. Tomorrow I am going to print out a number of these and distribute them:

http://www.avclub.com/article/people-are-printing-out-sean-spicers-and-hiding-th-255255

iris lily

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #666 on: May 13, 2017, 06:10:50 PM »
I have not been posting much on this thread, but I have been staying politically active. My latest project seems like one I should share here. Tomorrow I am going to print out a number of these and distribute them:

http://www.avclub.com/article/people-are-printing-out-sean-spicers-and-hiding-th-255255
OMG Nooooooooo!!! ! Haha, that is  hilarious. It is pranky, but political. You get the politicall action points.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 06:12:59 PM by iris lily »

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #667 on: May 13, 2017, 10:31:16 PM »
Thanks Iris, LifeHappens, 4alpacas!  Actually it was much easier than I expected,  after having been hardened by internet trolls and making phone calls. People are usually quite nice face to face, and it's easier to avoid misunderstandings. I followed up in the last week by going to two protests (I was too early for one protest, and ended up walking around alone with a sign like a crazy person, and being yelled at by some mean ladies in MAGA hats.)

I think after having been through all this, I'm pretty much prepared for anything except perhaps being arrested or beaten up (and hopefully it will never come to that).  It's been a growing experience for me. I've had to overcome a lot of fears and anxieties. Even if I achieve nothing politically, at least I have accomplished a lot of positive personal development in only half a year.

I recognize that all this activism is not for everyone.  Probably, a lot of it can be bypassed by donating money to politicians and causes that we support. But this is MMM after all, where we do it ourselves instead of paying to outsource. ;)

I'm impressed and inspired Poundwise. I'm working with a group to come up with language to provide to people like you going door to door. I keep reminding myself of the Mark Twain quote: "It's easier to fool a man, than convince him he's been fooled."  Our framing has to inspire ideas that invite people to consider them. And I'm just talking about framing discussions back to simple clear language that isn't loaded with a presumption of a solution. It isn't the loaded language  the word crafters of the Republican Noise machine have been pushing for 3 decades ('death taxes', 'government takeover of healthcare', 'death panels', 'climate change'). But it's hard work.

Anyway - you're inspiring me to keep going with the group I organized. Sometimes I get so discouraged I want to give up. But then I read the news and I know I can't. So thanks. And keep it up. We MUST get people to ALL elections - especially off-cycle elections.
Last one to panic wins!

I'm an enemy of POTUS, VPOTUS, and the privately funded political system that inflicted them upon us.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #668 on: May 20, 2017, 09:51:30 AM »
I am organizing a trip to Georgia for New Yorkers to volunteer with the Ossoff campaign. I went down with a group in April for the primary. I had an amazing time and made a lot of great contacts. The next trip will likely have a bus/van going on June 17-21.

If anyone knows someone in NYC who might be interested, please PM me! The campaign will house them, feed them, and pay for their trip down. (Unless you want to fly, for compliance reasons.)

For one simple action a day texted to you: https://dailyaction.org - text DAILY to 228466 (ACTION)

Indivisible Guide for local groups taking action: https://www.indivisibleguide.com

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #669 on: May 20, 2017, 01:12:40 PM »
I am organizing a trip to Georgia for New Yorkers to volunteer with the Ossoff campaign. I went down with a group in April for the primary. I had an amazing time and made a lot of great contacts. The next trip will likely have a bus/van going on June 17-21.

If anyone knows someone in NYC who might be interested, please PM me! The campaign will house them, feed them, and pay for their trip down. (Unless you want to fly, for compliance reasons.)

Thank you for doing this, MJ
Last one to panic wins!

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #670 on: May 20, 2017, 05:31:26 PM »
Aw shucks joon and Malaysia! :blush

+1.   A big credit for my new activism goes to you, MonkeyJenga!  If I hadn't heard about Indivisible from you I might still be sitting around getting mad at the news, but not actually doing anything besides signing an internet petition every few months. You have been an inspiration!! <B
[And yes, I'll pass the word about the bus...]

SisterX, thank you for telling us about the Brooklyn Bail Fund for mothers.  It's great because the same donation can be used again and again.

greengardens

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #671 on: May 21, 2017, 09:04:59 AM »
While doing some spring cleaning I found 10 unused women's march post cards. I'm embarrassed I forgot about them so now I've written about 2020 census funding and public service student loan forgiveness to my federal reps.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #672 on: May 22, 2017, 12:39:05 PM »

+1.   A big credit for my new activism goes to you, MonkeyJenga!  If I hadn't heard about Indivisible from you I might still be sitting around getting mad at the news, but not actually doing anything besides signing an internet petition every few months. You have been an inspiration!! <B
[And yes, I'll pass the word about the bus...]

:))))) Thanks y'all. I keep saying my biggest strength is in getting other people to do work.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 09:59:07 PM by MonkeyJenga »

DavidAnnArbor

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #673 on: May 23, 2017, 07:13:27 AM »
I sent an email today to the Senate committee regarding the Health Care Bill that they are drafting in secret.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/23/opinion/health-care-bill-senate.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-left-region&region=opinion-c-col-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region

Senate is taking up a very quiet and closed to the public effort to draft its own legislation of the AHCA. A select few people have been invited to send feedback to an email address healthreform@finance.senate.gov no later than today

The CBO should release the score for the house version tomorrow.