Author Topic: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance  (Read 65411 times)

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance
« Reply #600 on: March 24, 2017, 02:05:27 PM »
My R congress critter's phone lines were down all day and now are up, but not taking messages.

I will call on Monday to thank them for their courageous stand on ACHA (they went on record). 
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

jrhampt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #601 on: March 24, 2017, 02:21:58 PM »
Awesome!  I faxed mine to thank her.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #602 on: March 24, 2017, 03:15:04 PM »
ACA repeal pulled! It won't go for a vote. This is because of all the public pressure we put on our elected officials.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/house-republicans-pull-health-care-bill-house-floor-n738281?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

BOOM.

Schumer is saying Democrats will filibuster Gorsuch for the Supreme Court, but he's leaving the door open for individual Dems to vote for him. Next up: call your senators to vote against cloture for Gorsuch.

jrhampt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #603 on: March 24, 2017, 08:57:14 PM »
Can someone explain to me what the point of filibustering Gorsuch is?  It just seems like a losing battle that will end up making the democrats look bad.  I'd prefer to focus on something else, like Russia.  Or whatever stupid thing trump does next thT we actually have some hope of defeating.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #604 on: March 24, 2017, 09:39:54 PM »
Can someone explain to me what the point of filibustering Gorsuch is?  It just seems like a losing battle that will end up making the democrats look bad.  I'd prefer to focus on something else, like Russia.  Or whatever stupid thing trump does next thT we actually have some hope of defeating.

Before today, I'd have answered it this way: The Republicans are not entitled to this seat. It should have been Garland's, and Trump honestly shouldn't be allowed to appoint justices when his administration is freaking under investigation. Republicans fought dirty, so Democrats should fight dirty. Playing nice doesn't win anything: it doesn't win points, it doesn't win results. Make them nuke the filibuster. I mean, what's the benefit of *not* filibustering? Do we actually think that if Democrats don't filibuster, Trump will think, what nice Democrats, I'll pick a more centrist nominee next time? Ha ha ha ha. Fight back - don't let the Republicans win everything just because they're more ruthless. Maybe they'll stop being such assholes after they've experienced being on the receiving end.

After today, I'm less sure the Republican leadership can get its caucus to do whatever it wants. I still stand by the above, but I'm less sure about it.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #605 on: March 24, 2017, 09:45:52 PM »

Well, there's a chance that the filibuster works... I know, small chance, but it's there. It's also the principle of the thing, due to R's treatment of Merrick Garland.

The main point, though, is that it's what their base wants them to do. Frankly, if the filibuster is going to be killed, it's going to be killed either now or on the next nominee. There's this fear that we need to preserve the filibuster so Democrats can prevent a truly crazy nominee from being nominated next time.*

But Republicans will just kill the filibuster then.

According to this article, Democrats offered to allow a vote on Gorsuch if R's promised to keep the filibuster for the next nominee. That proposal was rejected.

So. If Democrats want to keep their voters happy and show that they can put up a fight, they need to fight. On Gorsuch. On Russia. On the ACA. On Donner. On Blitzen. They need to fight, even if they lose. Because ultimately, they can't do jack shit on anything unless they start winning some elections. Nobody's going to be excited about voting for, volunteering for, and donating to, a party that's rolling over and taking it.

Republicans prevented Merrick Garland from even having a hearing for a full year, let alone a vote. The moment the Republicans had control of the nomination, they started grandstanding about Democratic obstructionism and how the American people won't stand for it. Nobody on their side cares that it's hypocrisy. Democrats aren't going to look bad, except among people who already hate Democrats.

The Supreme Court is extremely important and has uniquely long-term implications, but only Republicans in general seem to realize it when it comes time to vote. Lots of Republicans voted for a man they personally disliked simply because of who he would put on the court. I don't know of any Democrats who overcame their bitterness over Bernie or dislike of HRC simply because the SC was vital. They may have voted for HRC for other reasons, but the court was never a rallying cry. More attention paid to this on the blue side is needed.

Russia is important. The next issue will be important. Dems need to fight on all those important things. It's a good thing our news cycles are 24/7 so we can cover everything. ;)

*I don't like this argument because it dismisses the extremism of Gorsuch himself, but everyone seems to think there will be someone up next who's as extreme but less palatable to the masses.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 08:38:13 AM by MonkeyJenga »

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #606 on: March 25, 2017, 02:16:24 AM »
Democrats aren't going to look bad, except among people who already hate Democrats.

yeah, this.

LifeHappens

• Handlebar Stache
  • Downshifting from 5th to 3rd Gear
« Reply #607 on: March 25, 2017, 09:33:00 AM »
Texted the resist bot yesterday and sent messages to my Senators asking them to oppose Gorsuch's nomination. I like this tech. It is a little glitchy yet (I had to type my message one short sentence at a time, otherwise it missed large chunks), but it's something I can definitely use no matter how anxious I'm feeling that day.

greengardens

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #608 on: March 25, 2017, 11:39:09 AM »
Sent a post card to my Rep to voice my opposition to S.J. res 34 which would allow broadband companies to track your internet activity and sell to third parties, will follow up with a phone call Monday. The Senate already passed the resolution. Also emailed him to thank him for opposing the AHCA

jrhampt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #609 on: March 25, 2017, 01:42:43 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  I know the base wants the filibuster.  I'm really angry about the way Merrick Garland was treated, too.  I think the Republicans stole the presidency and this Supreme Court seat.  I just think we can't win this battle and we will have plenty of other battles to fight...it just doesn't make strategic sense to me, other than placating the base.  Seems like throwing a tantrum.

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
« Reply #610 on: March 25, 2017, 02:51:45 PM »
We had our monthly Indivisible meeting this morning and it was AWESOME. So many folks in our group are doing great things on the state level in addition to the federal-level activities and it's heartening. Especially in the afterglow of yesterday's stunning smack down of the Republicans.

I volunteered to start a newsletter for our group, because all the great things people are doing are getting buried in our Facebook page. So I'm going to get info from our committee leads on the actions they are taking and the wins they are getting and publish it out to everyone, probably on a monthly basis to start. I think as the months go on it is going to be more and more important to look back on our efforts and realize what we've accomplished thus far, so I'm excited to get the ball rolling now.

Fudge102

• Stubble
« Reply #611 on: March 25, 2017, 03:09:32 PM »

Before today, I'd have answered it this way: The Republicans are not entitled to this seat. It should have been Garland's, and Trump honestly shouldn't be allowed to appoint justices when his administration is freaking under investigation. Republicans fought dirty, so Democrats should fight dirty. Playing nice doesn't win anything: it doesn't win points, it doesn't win results. Make them nuke the filibuster. I mean, what's the benefit of *not* filibustering? Do we actually think that if Democrats don't filibuster, Trump will think, what nice Democrats, I'll pick a more centrist nominee next time? Ha ha ha ha. Fight back - don't let the Republicans win everything just because they're more ruthless. Maybe they'll stop being such assholes after they've experienced being on the receiving end.

After today, I'm less sure the Republican leadership can get its caucus to do whatever it wants. I still stand by the above, but I'm less sure about it.

Honestly, Gorsuch never really bothered me until yesterday.  He seemed very much the same that's been around.  And with Republicans in charge, I didn't really see a way to fight or stop it.  But then I heard this story:

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/03/23/in-a-case-of-a-truckers-life-vs-his-cargo-judge-neil-gorsuch-ruled-for-the-cargo/

Now maybe there are more details, but he basically ruled against a driver who was pretty much ordered to die.  And that's someone I can't get behind.

Proud Foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #612 on: March 27, 2017, 10:05:02 AM »

Honestly, Gorsuch never really bothered me until yesterday.  He seemed very much the same that's been around.  And with Republicans in charge, I didn't really see a way to fight or stop it.  But then I heard this story:

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/03/23/in-a-case-of-a-truckers-life-vs-his-cargo-judge-neil-gorsuch-ruled-for-the-cargo/

Now maybe there are more details, but he basically ruled against a driver who was pretty much ordered to die.  And that's someone I can't get behind.

Reading that article brings up a lot of questions for me.  But as presented in the article this seems to be a horrible ruling.  It is always frustrating to me to see both parties flip the script when it benefits them.  Republicans should not be complaining about the talk of a filibuster by the Democrats. 

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #613 on: March 27, 2017, 10:26:08 AM »
Sent a post card to my Rep to voice my opposition to S.J. res 34 which would allow broadband companies to track your internet activity and sell to third parties, will follow up with a phone call Monday. The Senate already passed the resolution. Also emailed him to thank him for opposing the AHCA

I am calling my rep today to oppose this bill. I also spread the word among my district group. Apparently rep is undecided, which is surprising. I assumed solid no vote.

The house version is called H.J. Res. 86.

Script from Indivisible:

I'm a constituent, and I'm asking Rep. X to vote NO on H.J. 86., which would repeal important FCC privacy rules.

Republicans are trying to ram this through the House on Tuesday before anyone discovers the damage it will cause to privacy online.

If signed into law, broadband companies will be able to use and sell data about us without our consent.

I care about the digital rights of consumers over corporations. Will Rep. X commit to vote NO?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #614 on: March 27, 2017, 10:28:35 AM »
DH and I called our rep, Daniel Webster, this morning to request he vote "no" on this bill.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #615 on: March 27, 2017, 12:23:52 PM »
I've already gotten 7 people from my district to call about HJ 86!

I also sent information on how to volunteer for Jon Ossoff to a co-worker who's from Georgia. He will pass on to his friends who live there.

jrhampt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #616 on: March 27, 2017, 12:36:11 PM »
I faxed my rep about HJ 86.  Thanks for the info.

jrhampt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #617 on: March 27, 2017, 12:38:59 PM »
Just called her office, too.

LifeHappens

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #618 on: March 28, 2017, 07:56:04 AM »
Need help from the political hive mind. Common Cause has a petition going to stop an Article V convention to rewrite the U.S. Constitution. My high school civics course is failing me. How legit is this issue? It seems like it would be a REALLY BIG DEAL if it's a real threat, but this is the first I'm hearing about it.

Kris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #619 on: March 28, 2017, 08:20:15 AM »
Need help from the political hive mind. Common Cause has a petition going to stop an Article V convention to rewrite the U.S. Constitution. My high school civics course is failing me. How legit is this issue? It seems like it would be a REALLY BIG DEAL if it's a real threat, but this is the first I'm hearing about it.

It is massively funded by the Koch brothers, which frankly is probably all you need to know.

I think it is quite a big deal. Wisconsin is voting on this today, I think. I'm fairly surprised it's not getting more press, but you know, it's a tiny bit complicated, and people prefer to read about THE ONE WEIGHT LOSS TRICK DOCTORS DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW!
Please note: Libertarian4321 did not vote for either Hillary or Trump. He voted for Gary Johnson, who was the Libertarian candidate.

LifeHappens

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #620 on: March 28, 2017, 10:21:31 AM »

It is massively funded by the Koch brothers, which frankly is probably all you need to know.

I think it is quite a big deal. Wisconsin is voting on this today, I think.

Okay, so what can people who don't live in Wisconsin do about this?

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #621 on: March 28, 2017, 11:01:02 AM »

That link didn't tell me what the subject matter of the constitutional convention would be. Based on Kris's clue, it appears to be an amendment to require a balanced budget.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/wisconsin/articles/2017-03-20/wisconsin-gop-moving-to-call-for-constitutional-convention

Holy shit they're 5 states away.

You know what's scary? 32 of 50 state legislatures are GOP controlled. It takes just one more ALEC bound legislature and they can pass all the amendments their hearts desire. That happens and these few months of baby Trump will look like a day at the park.
Last one to panic wins!

My Rohingya Refugee Charity (now Tax Exempt!)

I'm an enemy of POTUS, VPOTUS, and the privately funded political system that inflicted them upon us.

LifeHappens

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #622 on: March 28, 2017, 12:29:53 PM »

That link didn't tell me what the subject matter of the constitutional convention would be. Based on Kris's clue, it appears to be an amendment to require a balanced budget.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/wisconsin/articles/2017-03-20/wisconsin-gop-moving-to-call-for-constitutional-convention

Holy shit they're 5 states away.

You know what's scary? 32 of 50 state legislatures are GOP controlled. It takes just one more ALEC bound legislature and they can pass all the amendments their hearts desire. That happens and these few months of baby Donald will look like a day at the park.

Hmm. It seems the only thing to do right now is wait - and if this nonsense comes to our home states to get active with our legislators.

Kris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #623 on: March 28, 2017, 12:52:51 PM »

I think it is quite a big deal. Wisconsin is voting on this today, I think.

Okay, so what can people who don't live in Wisconsin do about this?

It will pass in Wisconsin, so that's a done deal.

You can educate yourself about it.

And if you live in one of the remaining states -- or even if you don't -- you can work to educate others and advocate for awareness and resistance so that it doesn't get passed there.

The  seven states (assuming the Wisconsin vote hasn't happened yet) are Arizona, Kentucky, Minnesota, Montana, South Carolina, Virginia and Wisconsin. They need five of them to vote for this. So, especially if you're in one of the other states, pay attention.

http://billmoyers.com/story/kochs-to-rewrite-constitution/

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/03/right-wing-billionaires-want-to-rewrite-our-constitution-and-theyre-frighteningly-close-to-pulling-it-off/

And, a more alarmist version:

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/3/26/1647374/-Legit-This-Should-Scare-The-Bejesus-Out-Of-You?detail=facebook

Please note: Libertarian4321 did not vote for either Hillary or Trump. He voted for Gary Johnson, who was the Libertarian candidate.

meerkat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #624 on: March 29, 2017, 11:35:23 AM »
I was posting elsewhere and it reminded me of a conversation I had that I thought might be helpful to some people here and spark some conversation here.

I went to a local school board meeting to ask them to be supportive of trans students (we're in the middle of a rather conservative area so I felt it wasn't something to be taken for granted). I have a toddler so I asked my not-politically-involved husband if he minded doing bedtime solo since I'd be going out.

Him: "Are you .... getting extra credit or something? Why are you going to a school board meeting?"
Me: "I'm going to ask them to support our trans students."
Him: [something about how I'm not trans, our kid isn't trans, etc. so again, why am I doing this?]
Me: "Because the people who are trans might be afraid of speaking up and it costs me nothing but a little time to speak up for them."
Him: "Huh. Well, okie doke."

From there the conversation moved on to other domestic topics. Would it be nice if he were more enthusiastically supportive? Sure. But his lack of interest doesn't have to hold me back. My work breaks are flexible so I'm able to step out to the parking lot and use that time to call my representatives using the issues from my daily Indivisible email, so that doesn't impact him but he also doesn't see the efforts I'm doing. I'm most likely going to attend the local March for Science and I'd like to take my kid with me in a stroller but I think he might be leery of taking our kid. He wasn't crazy about me doing that for the anti-Trump protest in November after the election but there were tons of other people there with their kids (kiddo ended up coming down with a cold so he stayed home anyway).

I feel like between some of my internet bubbles composed of people who are very enthusiastic about calling, providing scripts, what's today's issue, etc. and then existing in "real life" where I don't talk about it much (work, home) there's a weird contrast.

Is anyone else having similar interactions with lukewarm friends or family?
meer journal for a meerkat

Will this matter in ten years?

LifeHappens

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #625 on: March 29, 2017, 11:58:17 AM »
Is anyone else having similar interactions with lukewarm friends or family?

I have been slooowly working on my DH. There are some local issues he is interested in - mostly because they will affect development and property values in our area. Unfortunately he sees the state/national political landscape through a very cynical lens and our elected officials probably deserve the cynicism!

As I find well written articles about some of the scarier aspects of the current presidency I have been sending them to him so he understands how the landscape has changed and just how much is at stake. I've also been talking up the local climate march, which is scheduled for the end of April. I think he'll be willing to march when the time comes.

jrhampt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #626 on: March 29, 2017, 01:51:27 PM »
Fortunately, my husband can't stand Trump, particularly his anti-science, anti-environmental policies.  He's gone to a local indivisible meeting with me, a swing left take back the house party, and a couple of town hall events with me, but I don't think his utter loathing is quite as energetic and incandescent as mine.  Or maybe he doesn't feel quite as at home with the mostly liberal crowds, since he only last fall renounced his party to re-register as an independent.  My anti-trump rage is probably obsessive enough for both of us, but I don't mind taking the lead on this.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #627 on: March 29, 2017, 11:49:37 PM »
Meerkat, bless you for standing for those who might feel justifiably vulnerable.

And, a piece that inspired me today: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jD8tjhVO1Tc

meerkat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #628 on: March 30, 2017, 06:54:18 AM »
Just called my Republican rep about HJ Resolution 43 which goes to vote today. It would repeal protections for funding for women's health care centers like Planned Parenthood. Since my rep is pro-life I phrased my message as protecting unborn babies because of the pregnancy services offered by these clinics as well as providing women's health care for the mothers so they can be healthy for their children.
meer journal for a meerkat

Will this matter in ten years?

Sockigal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #629 on: April 01, 2017, 09:05:34 AM »
My daughter came home from college yesterday and we both went to the polls to vote for Jon Ossoff. I feel very lucky to be on the front lines here (6th district Georgia). I went to the local office for Jon Ossoff and picked up a couple of yard signs for me and my neighbor. I am only seeing Jon Ossoff signs in neighborhood yards here. The other candidates signs I have only seen on public property (road intersections) and I only began to notice them a couple of days ago. Seems like Ossoff has a lot of supporters in the city of Alpharetta, which is predominately conservative and I mean extremely conservative. I sometimes feel like the only democrat in Georgia! It feels great to have so many supporters putting up yard signs for Ossoff. During the presidential race, I only saw Trump signs. I was afraid my family would be targeted if I put up a Clinton sign or Bernie.

Hoping we can send a message to Washington Republicans, that we will not tolerate the dirty, slimy politics anymore! We need people in office that work for the citizens, not for their own self interest, foreign or corporate interests. We need representatives that want to work to improve the lives of the voters and will compromise to find solutions to real problems using real scientific information and facts. Just my opinion!

jrhampt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #630 on: April 01, 2017, 09:28:36 AM »
My daughter came home from college yesterday and we both went to the polls to vote for Jon Ossoff. I feel very lucky to be on the front lines here (6th district Georgia). I went to the local office for Jon Ossoff and picked up a couple of yard signs for me and my neighbor. I am only seeing Jon Ossoff signs in neighborhood yards here. The other candidates signs I have only seen on public property (road intersections) and I only began to notice them a couple of days ago. Seems like Ossoff has a lot of supporters in the city of Alpharetta, which is predominately conservative and I mean extremely conservative. I sometimes feel like the only democrat in Georgia! It feels great to have so many supporters putting up yard signs for Ossoff. During the presidential race, I only saw Trump signs. I was afraid my family would be targeted if I put up a Clinton sign or Bernie.

Hoping we can send a message to Washington Republicans, that we will not tolerate the dirty, slimy politics anymore! We need people in office that work for the citizens, not for their own self interest, foreign or corporate interests. We need representatives that want to work to improve the lives of the voters and will compromise to find solutions to real problems using real scientific information and facts. Just my opinion!

Awesome!  I hope he does well.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #631 on: April 01, 2017, 09:36:45 AM »

Yessss! This is great.

I am planning to come down to Georgia to help with GOTV efforts in the final week of the campaign. Maybe I'll run into you. :)

Donations to Ossoff's campaign are being triple-matched right now! Anyone who wants to help out can send a little cash their way: https://electjon.com/

You can also do virtual phone banking from wherever you are. That link can set you up with that, under Volunteer. https://electjon.com/volunteer/
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 09:39:56 AM by MonkeyJenga »

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #632 on: April 02, 2017, 02:47:12 PM »
This is from Executive Women for Her: a free trip and free housing to Georgia to GOTV in the last week of the Ossoff campaign!

You need to register by TOMORROW, April 3.

Canvass in Atlanta!  Join a FREE bus going from several cities including NYC to Atlanta. Busses leave Friday the 14th and return Wednesday the 19th, with free accommodations while youíre there. You must RSVP by filling out this form by Monday April 3rd by 5pm  RESERVATION FORM. 

Cities:

NYC
Baltimore
DC
Charlotte
Nashville
Chattanooga
Birmingham
Raleigh/Durham

There is also space to enter a new city if not already listed.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 02:51:37 PM by MonkeyJenga »

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #633 on: April 03, 2017, 03:37:45 AM »
This is from Executive Women for Her: a free trip and free housing to Georgia to GOTV in the last week of the Ossoff campaign!

You need to register by TOMORROW, April 3.

Canvass in Atlanta!  Join a FREE bus going from several cities including NYC to Atlanta. Busses leave Friday the 14th and return Wednesday the 19th, with free accommodations while youíre there. You must RSVP by filling out this form by Monday April 3rd by 5pm  RESERVATION FORM. 

Cities:

NYC
Baltimore
DC
Charlotte
Nashville
Chattanooga
Birmingham
Raleigh/Durham

There is also space to enter a new city if not already listed.

Awesome. I sure hope Ossoff wins in the first round.
Last one to panic wins!

I'm an enemy of POTUS, VPOTUS, and the privately funded political system that inflicted them upon us.

Sockigal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #634 on: April 03, 2017, 07:01:46 AM »
Just saw this horrible ad on TV this morning in the Atlanta area attacking Jon Ossoff. It's so ugly, misdirecting, untrue, sensationalized, ect.... What the heck is happening to our society? What turns my stomach the most lately is just how disgusting politics and society in general has gotten with just verbally attacking people and dividing us up. The way Trump and most of the rest of the GOP have been speaking about fellow citizens is not just ruthless and unjust, it's morally corrupt. Obviously some of our fellow citizens believe this stuff. It's meant to rile up their emotions and create as much fear as possible. I for one dream of a US where people are smart enough not to fall for the crap that is being flooded into the world. Ugh.... I just hope very few of our citizens fall for it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr4RYY7Mpw4

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #635 on: April 03, 2017, 07:08:06 AM »
Just saw this horrible ad on TV this morning in the Atlanta area attacking Jon Ossoff. It's so ugly, misdirecting, untrue, sensationalized, ect.... What the heck is happening to our society? What turns my stomach the most lately is just how disgusting politics and society in general has gotten with just verbally attacking people and dividing us up. The way Trump and most of the rest of the GOP have been speaking about fellow citizens is not just ruthless and unjust, it's morally corrupt. Obviously some of our fellow citizens believe this stuff. It's meant to rile up their emotions and create as much fear as possible. I for one dream of a US where people are smart enough not to fall for the crap that is being flooded into the world. Ugh.... I just hope very few of our citizens fall for it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr4RYY7Mpw4

Wow that ad's so bad it's almost funny. Except that I know it'll get into some peoples' heads and take hold. So, not so funny.

This whole liberal agenda conspiracy boogeyman is so stupid. Liberal minded people are like la la la la, what? Liberal minded people are just going about their days, completely disorganized politically. 

Meanwhile Grover Norquist continues his Wednesday meetings pushing talking points to all wings of the GOP base. The GOP propaganda arm is a well tuned machine at this point.

The amount of projection from the right is absolutely astounding.
Last one to panic wins!

iris lily

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #636 on: April 03, 2017, 08:20:32 AM »
My senator, Claire McCaskill, dithered last week about supporting Gorsuch but now has decided that even though calling herself a "moderate" she will vote against Gorsuch.

So, this morning I called her D.C. office to express my unhappiness that she is not representing her constituency. Moderate my ass, she lines up in lock step with every big Democratic vote.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #637 on: April 03, 2017, 11:40:26 AM »
Dear Iris lily,  All I want for Christmas is a moderate Justice. Take it from me... lifelong registered independent, socializing the whole day long with Republicans and Libertarians, have voted in the past for local Republican mayors and selectmen. It is not McCaskill who is extreme, it's Gorsuch. What you are seeing here is a revolt of the moderates.

The Republicans don't HAVE to go nuclear. They don't HAVE to change the rules. All they have to do is find a candidate who is more palatable to everyone.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #638 on: April 03, 2017, 11:53:16 AM »
Claire McCaskill has voted with Trumpís position 44% of the time. Lower than expected considering Trump's vote share in her state, but she is a Democrat.

This is a good resource to see how senators and reps align with Trump: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-trump-score/

SisterX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #639 on: April 03, 2017, 12:33:42 PM »
My senator, Claire McCaskill, dithered last week about supporting Gorsuch but now has decided that even though calling herself a "moderate" she will vote against Gorsuch.

So, this morning I called her D.C. office to express my unhappiness that she is not representing her constituency. Moderate my ass, she lines up in lock step with every big Democratic vote.

Yeah...not wanting Gorsuch DOES make her a moderate. He's so extremely right wing on quite a few important issues that no one could call themselves moderate and want him on the SC.

The fact that conservatives don't even realize how extreme their side is getting, and that the standard for all of our politics keeps getting pushed RIGHT year after year (Clinton was actually a moderate-right candidate) makes me depressed for the state of the future.

iris lily

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #640 on: April 03, 2017, 01:27:30 PM »
Are we now debating actions and ideas now on this thread?

cool, I thought that was forbidden.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #641 on: April 03, 2017, 03:48:13 PM »

Iris Lily, much respect for calling your Senator.

Are we now debating actions and ideas now on this thread?

cool, I thought that was forbidden.

To me it appears that "Moderate my ass..." was the bait that began the discussion.  MJ set the thread rules and already responded by discussing, so I guess whether it's open season for debate depends on whether she reiterates the "please don't debate the issues" principle or not.

Personally, I prefer the just-the-reporting-of-actions-and-mentioning-of-possible-actions format because I've read enough politics discussion threads.  I like it when people whose views oppose mine take action on them as citizens, as you did, because it's better to have a republic of full participation than just one that agrees with me.  IMHO a thread that focuses on the action part is valuable.  Fwiw, I created a Politics Octagon thread for discussions of politics that branch off from this thread (it hasn't been used much).

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #642 on: April 03, 2017, 04:22:16 PM »
Sorry, I guess I derailed the thread! I'll get it back on track:

Forwarded this awesome spreadsheet "NoProbeNoRobe" to family out of state.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XpnUJdUuMvhszIX3RWJ8b0N7F3UYQHVFAB56DS4v3DE/edit#gid=0

Wrote to Gov. Cuomo and leaders of the NY Assembly in favor of early voting, auto-registration, and to close the LLC loophole allowing LLCs (mostly real estate groups) to make virtually unlimited donations to state candidates.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #643 on: April 03, 2017, 11:01:40 PM »
One of my favorite things to do is infiltrate a space where my opinions are unpopular, spew unpopular opinions, point at the guidelines that don't specifically outlaw my presence, and sit back and laugh. I've found that it really endears me to people and helps accomplish lots of my goals.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #644 on: April 04, 2017, 02:52:48 AM »
If you're concerned about the direction of global warming policy, you can get a good bang for the buck donating to

http://citizensclimatelobby.org

They work with a bi-partisan climate change council in Washington.

Last one to panic wins!

iris lily

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #645 on: April 04, 2017, 08:49:52 AM »
One of my favorite things to do is infiltrate a space where my opinions are unpopular, spew unpopular opinions, point at the guidelines that don't specifically outlaw my presence, and sit back and laugh. I've found that it really endears me to people and helps accomplish lots of my goals.

What we all do have in common is a genuine interest in improving our country, and doing that by greater involvement in political systems. I greatly respect that process and that activity. I wouldn't expect everyone to agree on all issues facing our nation.

That we disagree here on this board  on issues of "improvement" is a testament to diversity, on this board and in this country. God Bless America.

Now, to get back to topic:today my citizen action today will be to vote. We have a municipal election with several propositions and city offices.

SisterX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #646 on: April 04, 2017, 07:27:35 PM »
My daily acts of resistance today were less tangible. I biked home (13 miles, including a grocery stop) because Fuck Climate Change.

I got most of my victory garden planted/seeded.

I watched a documentary about spacetime and relativity, because educating ourselves on any and all topics is both a generally good idea and, apparently, against what this president wants (a stupid population).

Am going to go email my congress people about Gorsuch right now.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache

former player

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #648 on: April 05, 2017, 02:14:32 AM »
Yesterday I helped a friend gather signatures and put the papers together for a local election run against an incumbent who lately has made a big and seemingly unjustifiable decision which will cause great harm to our local environment.  She's now on the ballot!
Be frugal and industrious, and you will be free (Ben Franklin)

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #649 on: April 05, 2017, 03:23:55 AM »
My daily acts of resistance today were less tangible. I biked home (13 miles, including a grocery stop) because Fuck Climate Change.

I got most of my victory garden planted/seeded.

I watched a documentary about spacetime and relativity, because educating ourselves on any and all topics is both a generally good idea and, apparently, against what this president wants (a stupid population).

Am going to go email my congress people about Gorsuch right now.

We haven't owned a car since June 2016. We bike everywhere. We've contemplated getting a car but, like you, I keep thinking, "fuck climate change."
Last one to panic wins!