Author Topic: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance  (Read 83261 times)

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
Re: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance
« Reply #550 on: March 07, 2017, 07:50:01 AM »
Plainjane, both are necessary. Call your senator to express support on specific votes or actions, and call your congressman to express displeasure.

The most effective call is about a specific vote or action you want them to take in the next few days. A general request to be better isn't going to do anything.

Do you have an Indivisible group in your district? They or another local activist group can help organize around issues and develop scripts. Indivisible has a guide on getting invisible reps to hold town halls.

Two important issues to call about now at all levels is Sessions/Russia and the ACA. Both houses can call for investigations and other actions on Russia, and the house is about to vote on ACA repeal and "replacement". Tell your rep to vote against repeal.

You mentioned one senator. What about the other?

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #551 on: March 07, 2017, 07:54:40 AM »
Attended swing left house party Saturday night and congresswoman 's town hall Sunday.  Emailed state rep Monday about a conversion therapy bill in my state, called congresswoman with follow up comments on town hall, contributed to senator 's re-election campaign.

Hey MonkeyJenga, my local Indivisible group had our kickoff meeting yesterday. We are small but feisty! I invited two friends whom I thought would be interested, and they were!

High five to both of you!

jrhampt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #552 on: March 07, 2017, 09:34:07 AM »
I am in a blue state, and most of what my congressional representatives say and do I am in general agreement with.  In Senator Blumenthal's town hall recently, someone asked the question of what use it is to call your senators/representatives if you agree with them, and he said we should "keep preaching to the choir, because we (they) need to hear it." They keep track of numbers of calls/emails on specific issues.   So I call my people to thank them when they do things I like and to remind them to keep talking about Russia and taxes etc because we the people think it's important, and I let them know when I contribute to their reelection campaign because I appreciate that they did x.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
    • Join us at CM*TO - enter the bunk lottery!
« Reply #553 on: March 07, 2017, 11:57:17 AM »
You mentioned one senator. What about the other?

Oh, one senator is good from the get go.  The other senator needed a slight spine adjustment, but seems on track for everything I've looked at recently.

One of my challenges is that I'm an overseas voter.  So I can't attend anything.  And there are some topics I can't speak to from a personal perspective.  It's more a moral perspective.  And for the ppl who don't like the overseas voters getting involved - stop making me file taxes (which reduces the tax advantaged savings I can do in my home country), and I will stop phoning.
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #554 on: March 08, 2017, 10:13:06 PM »
The following bills have been introduced while we are distracted by imaginary bugging, etc.
1. HR 861 Terminate the Environmental Protection Agency
2. HR 610 Vouchers for Public Education
3. HR 899 Terminate the Department of Education
4. HJR 69 Repeal Rule Protecting Wildlife
5. HR 370 Repeal Affordable Care Act
6. HR 354 Defund Planned Parenthood
7. HR 785 National "Right to Work" (anti-union)
8. HR 83 Mobilizing Against Sanctuary Cities Bill
9. HR 147 “Prenatal Nondiscrimination Act” (criminalizing abortion)
10. HR 808 Sanctions against Iran

You can read the full text of these bills here: https://www.congress.gov/browse

And summaries are here:
http://www.snopes.com/bills-introduced-by-republicans/
http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2017/mar/07/social-media/social-media-post-pending-gop-bills-largely-accura/

If there are things on this list that bother you call your House Representative and ask them to not only vote "NO"...but to speak up for our rights, health & safety, and our country. And PASS IT ON...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 10:48:23 PM by Poundwise »

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #555 on: March 11, 2017, 04:06:32 PM »
Brought my district Indivisible group to our rep's town hall today and got contact info for her staff and some of the speakers. Also recruited more people to Indivisible. Just randomly started talking to people and asking if they had heard of it.

Tomorrow I will attend the NY Indivisible weekly meeting and then staff an event on the ACA and LGBT issues.

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
« Reply #556 on: March 11, 2017, 05:35:07 PM »
Today I attended an ACLU resistance training. It was a broadcast from Miami and I went to a house party here in town to watch it. Nice group of people came -- we met at a local co-operative house and that was also cool. I also went to a coffee shop and did some work on my book.

Tomorrow I'm making my podcast and then Monday I'm singing at the bedside of a man who's in hospice care. All good resistances!

Hey I'm gonna have to stop calling Cory Gardner my piece of shit senator because he is one of 4 republican senators who have come out against any curtailments of the Medicaid expansion in the ACA. I think the thousands of phone calls and the many town halls we had without him are having an impact! Great to see. Rachel Maddox had a segment on him last night and how the pressure seems to be working. Great stuff.

calimom

• Bristles
« Reply #557 on: March 11, 2017, 10:11:17 PM »
Today I hosted about a dozen like minded souls to write postcards for the "ides of Trump" action on March 15. It was cathartic and supportive. Will it help? Probably not likely, but it is satisfying to visualize the avalanche of mail hitting 1600 Pennsylvania NW with so many people registering their discontent.

One thing that came out of our group was the idea that we'd like to meet on a semi regular basis to write to congresspeople with cards of thanks for jobs well done, and also to those who are performing deplorably in the areas of climate change, the ACA, education, et al, remind them that they work for ALL the American people.

Resist!

LifeHappens

• Handlebar Stache
  • Downshifting from 5th to 3rd Gear
« Reply #558 on: March 14, 2017, 09:41:00 AM »
Just donated to Jon Ossoff's campaign. This is the first time I've ever donated to a campaign for someone I do not personally know!

Also signed up for Sierra Club's Climate Defenders Conference call tonight at 7:45 EDT.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #559 on: March 14, 2017, 12:10:50 PM »
Called House Intelligence Committee, both the Minority Staff and Majority Staff, requesting an  independent investigation into Trump and his administration's Russian ties. Minority staff said they are logging calls. Majority staff sounded sulky.

Minority Staff Office: (202) 225-7690
Majority Staff Office (202) 225-4121

By the way, I don't remember who recommended Rogan's list, but it's great! http://roganslist.blogspot.com/

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #560 on: March 14, 2017, 12:16:28 PM »
Called House Intelligence Committee, both the Minority Staff and Majority Staff, requesting an  independent investigation into Trump and his administration's Russian ties. Minority staff said they are logging calls. Majority staff sounded sulky.

Minority Staff Office: (202) 225-7690
Majority Staff Office (202) 225-4121

By the way, I don't remember who recommended Rogan's list, but it's great! http://roganslist.blogspot.com/

Haha, I also got a friendly minority staffer and a technically polite but grumpy sounding majority staffer.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #561 on: March 14, 2017, 12:34:41 PM »
http://jdaysy.tumblr.com/post/158342651491/sanguinarysanguinity-khealywu

For mathematicians:

A 5-day summer school will be offered at Tufts University from August 7-11, 2017, with the principal purpose of training mathematicians to be expert witnesses for court cases on redistricting and gerrymandering.

Topics covered in the summer school will include:
the legal history of the Voting Rights Act and its subsequent renewals, extensions, and clarifications;
an explanation of “traditional districting principles,” especially compactness;
a course in metric geometry and mathematical ideas for perimeter-free compactness;
basic rudiments of GIS and the technical side of how shapefiles work;
training on being an expert witness;
ideas for incorporating voting and civil rights into mathematics teaching.

Applications due March 31.

Sailor Sam

• Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #562 on: March 14, 2017, 12:49:18 PM »
Well, my god. Math and GIS; that happens to be right up my alley. Application submitted.

LifeHappens

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #563 on: March 14, 2017, 01:31:44 PM »
Well, my god. Math and GIS; that happens to be right up my alley. Application submitted.

Passed this on to a friend who is a math prof. Asked him to share with his network - and he has a LARGE network.

SisterX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #564 on: March 15, 2017, 09:21:22 AM »
Forwarded the link to that site to my dad, who has a master's in math. Perhaps a good use of retirement time?

Sam, you'd be such a kick-ass expert witness.

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #565 on: March 15, 2017, 02:57:12 PM »
I'm headed to the airport again tonight. We won the last round on the Muslim ban. Building on our past successes is how we will turn this ship around. We can do this!
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/15/battle-over-new-travel-ban-here-protest

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
« Reply #566 on: March 15, 2017, 04:51:27 PM »
I'm headed to the airport again tonight. We won the last round on the Muslim ban. Building on our past successes is how we will turn this ship around. We can do this!
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/15/battle-over-new-travel-ban-here-protest

Nice! Maddow just tweeted that Muslim Ban 2.0 has been blocked by Hawaii Federal Courts already!
https://twitter.com/maddow/status/842144926611697664

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #567 on: March 15, 2017, 06:05:25 PM »

Nice! Maddow just tweeted that Muslim Ban 2.0 has been blocked by Hawaii Federal Courts already!
https://twitter.com/maddow/status/842144926611697664

I just saw that! I guess I am not headed to the airport tonight :)

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #568 on: March 15, 2017, 10:50:32 PM »

Keep us posted on this. Awesome!
Last one to panic wins!

My Rohingya Refugee Charity (now Tax Exempt!)

I'm an enemy of POTUS, VPOTUS, and the privately funded political system that inflicted them upon us.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #569 on: March 15, 2017, 11:20:38 PM »
My daily acts of resistance have been communicating with the GOP ideologues in my family. It's maddening. But there are ways to talk to them to find common ground. (Right?)

I've been mulling over an idea. The reason, as far as I can tell, that the Republican Noise Machine has been so effective over the last 4 decades, is that they've flooded news, radio, book, 'academic' paper channels with their toady talking points. I'm thinking of publishing an ebook that recasts the talking points in language that will resonate, but bring more of a civil rights, human rights, *actual* science perspective.

Sure - there's lots of books calling this shit out - but they're written liberals, not conservatives. I want to bring the same info but to a conservative reader. you know - one who 'likes' the Rowdy Republican FB page and gets off on authoritarian disciplinarian stories. (shudder - it's ugly in there folks.).

Hey - if you know of a book that brings progressive minded ideas to more conservative minded reader, please point me to it - I'll send a copy to everyone in my family, and put this idea of authoring a new book to rest immediately.

If any of you think you'd want to contribute to such a book, PM me. It's just an idea at this point, on the back burner ...  but I've been accumulating emails and Facebook chats, my own online articles, etc. and maybe we could borrow from other books - like the idea of corp/govt collusion and profiteering as cited by Lakoff so often in his works.

It's tough work, and it makes me angry, because these people are so unwilling reconsider. One maddening behavior is their willingness to get distracted into non-answers or to jump over to a talking point that doesn't even address the issue I've brought up.

Even as I type this I want to give up. I mean what's the point? It seems hopeless. I suppose we could just wait to see what their 'rock bottom' authoritarian anti-human government will look like. I just don't see them recognizing how bad things are until we've been dragged way lower than we want to be.

I want to give up. But then I think oh hell no. We're smart people. We can write, we can call this shit out - even when the game rules have our hands tied and our feet in cement boots. We can still type with our noses. No?

And I have had some small wins:  I did convince him to call his house rep and ask him to co-sign/support HJR48(115th) to make the constitution only apply to humans and not corporations.

Why let the Frank Luntz's and 18 hyper-funded conservative think tanks get away with this manipulation?  Maybe this is a little too late, but perhaps getting out a book that brings rights-of-man, clean business practices, government-corporation healthy balance perspective to a conservative reader - maybe we can soften what's coming. IDK.

At least we can make a little scratch selling to progressives who have die hard conservatives in their families.

Edit - sorry that was a long post - and hardly a daily act of political resistance. But - in all y'alls experiences, maybe we can sling together something. Even if it's not done in a day - it could take a little bit of work every day.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 11:33:00 PM by Malaysia41 »
Last one to panic wins!

I'm an enemy of POTUS, VPOTUS, and the privately funded political system that inflicted them upon us.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #570 on: March 16, 2017, 12:38:42 AM »
Along the lines of your queries, Malaysia41, this Ted Talk was recommended to my tribe recently:
http://www.ted.com/talks/megan_phelps_roper_i_grew_up_in_the_westboro_baptist_church_here_s_why_i_left

My computer doesn't have sound, so I haven't listened to it yet!

But, its blurb says:
What's it like to grow up within a group of people who exult in demonizing ... everyone else? Megan Phelps-Roper shares details of life inside America's most controversial church and describes how conversations on Twitter were key to her decision to leave it. In this extraordinary talk, she shares her personal experience of extreme polarization, along with some sharp ways we can learn to successfully engage across ideological lines.

And person recommending it said what changed the speaker's path was people asking her (non-attacking) questions online. Apparently there is a yummy, life twist to this story too :)

That's an exciting and favourite topic to me: Genuine conversation as path to more kindness.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #571 on: March 16, 2017, 01:25:46 AM »
Along the lines of your queries, Malaysia41, this Ted Talk was recommended to my tribe recently:
http://www.ted.com/talks/megan_phelps_roper_i_grew_up_in_the_westboro_baptist_church_here_s_why_i_left

My computer doesn't have sound, so I haven't listened to it yet!

But, its blurb says:
What's it like to grow up within a group of people who exult in demonizing ... everyone else? Megan Phelps-Roper shares details of life inside America's most controversial church and describes how conversations on Twitter were key to her decision to leave it. In this extraordinary talk, she shares her personal experience of extreme polarization, along with some sharp ways we can learn to successfully engage across ideological lines.

And person recommending it said what changed the speaker's path was people asking her (non-attacking) questions online. Apparently there is a yummy, life twist to this story too :)

That's an exciting and favourite topic to me: Genuine conversation as path to more kindness.

Thank you - I'll check this out today! 
Last one to panic wins!

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
    • Join us at CM*TO - enter the bunk lottery!
« Reply #572 on: March 16, 2017, 07:23:17 AM »
My daily acts of resistance have been communicating with the GOP ideologues in my family. It's maddening. But there are ways to talk to them to find common ground. (Right?)

Today I sent a link to the Sanctuary Churches podcast from 99% Invisible to my very religious parents.

We also have a common ground on religious tolerance (we don't want to be one of "those" countries), and environmental protection (we are stewards & it is wrong to make people sick in the effort to make more money for the rich - easier for a camel etc.).  The parable of Lazarus & the Rich Man is pretty useful.  The Good Samaritan is also good, but now is an overused phrase, has lost its punch.
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #573 on: March 16, 2017, 08:24:08 AM »
Malaysia41 and plainjane, the other day somebody sent me this link to a TED talk that might have what you need.
http://www.ted.com/talks/robb_willer_how_to_have_better_political_conversations

It may help to lead your family to recall the words on the Statue of Liberty, which we all learned as children: "Give me your tired, your poor / Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free." This welcoming stance was one of the greatnesses of America, that made us a beloved beacon across the world.  To deny it, is actually un-American. 

Also, any decent member of the GOP should be alarmed and outraged by the infiltration of their party by big money, chickenhawks, bigots, and foreign interests. I have Republican friends who don't consider themselves racist and get offended by implications that their Trump vote makes them so.  I am trying to persuade them that they need to fight to kick the white supremacists off their coattails.   

LifeHappens

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #574 on: March 16, 2017, 09:53:09 AM »
In a similar vein to the Ted Talks, I recently watched The Brainwashing of My Dad. It's a documentary about the political conversion of the filmmaker's father through heavy consumption of talk radio and Fox News. There are a lot of comparisons to drug addiction and the changes drugs make in the brain. The ending carries a lot of hope. It's currently on Amazon Prime.

jrhampt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #575 on: March 16, 2017, 11:02:51 AM »
Today I donated to the Connecticut Democratic Party and called my 3 legislators about trump's proposed budget.  I bought tickets to a NARAL fundraiser brunch in April and I am attending my town's democratic committee meeting this evening.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #576 on: March 16, 2017, 11:19:13 AM »
I second that Ted Talk about political conversations.  I find the more emotional I am, the less effective I am at making a point someone could agree with.  I also like the idea of making your point by asking questions rather than lecturing because it puts the person you are addressing in the position of having to think through a  position themselves. 

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #577 on: March 17, 2017, 01:10:04 AM »
Malaysia41 and plainjane, the other day somebody sent me this link to a TED talk that might have what you need.
http://www.ted.com/talks/robb_willer_how_to_have_better_political_conversations

Thanks Poundwise. This statement of this particular argument resonated more with me than other examples I've heard.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #578 on: March 17, 2017, 06:30:14 AM »
When I have actually contributed to changing someone's decision and vote, it was because I approached them with an open mind and a desire to truly understand their beliefs. I can get riled up when talking to people who already agree with me, but if not, I try to keep things emotionally neutral and free from accusation and insults.

Although, I always avoid insults, regardless of who I'm talking to. They're counter-productive and put the other person on defense, which makes people dig in harder.

Today I donated to the Connecticut Democratic Party and called my 3 legislators about trump's proposed budget.  I bought tickets to a NARAL fundraiser brunch in April and I am attending my town's democratic committee meeting this evening.

Awesome!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #579 on: March 17, 2017, 07:06:38 AM »
I still despise our privately funded 2 party system. Still, I'll go with the dems over those GOP ass hats.

You can subscribe to this subreddit for ideas on helping to make the 2018 elections go to democrats.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BlueMidterm2018/
Last one to panic wins!

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #580 on: March 19, 2017, 08:36:28 AM »
AHCA/Trumpcare vote is happening in less than a week. These 27 Reps have been identified as potential No votes. If you or anyone you know lives in their districts, please encourage them to reach out.

Find the reps and sample scripts here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AsDez86TCuKD4WYuO_0QOB7dbhMwFa7HZ90gzRPahdk/edit#gid=0

The link also includes photos to tweet/share on FB.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #581 on: March 19, 2017, 09:29:03 PM »
Small Daily Action for March 20: Facebooky things!

Spread the word about the special election in Georgia for Tom Price's seat. Jon Ossoff is the Democrat with the best chance of flipping this red seat.

1) Voter registration ends tomorrow (Monday) March 20th.  First thing you can do is click the below link to find out if you have a FB buddy who lives in Georgia.  If you do, then find out if they live in the 6th District.  https://www.facebook.com/search/people/?q=friends%20in%20georgia

2a) If they do live in the 6th District, then point them to this site to register to vote: https://registertovote.sos.ga.gov/GAOLVR/welcome.do#no-back-button

2b) If they don't live in the 6th District, send them the voter reg link anyway and ask them if they have friends in District 6.

3) Remind them that the runoff election is April 18th. Contacts in Georgia report high voter registration in the district, but people don't know when the actual election is. Remind them that it's April 18th.

4) Post on FB publicly about the runoff, with a link to flippable: https://www.flippable.org/upcoming-elections/

Zoot

• Stubble
« Reply #582 on: March 20, 2017, 05:41:01 AM »
Small Daily Action for March 20: Facebooky things!

Spread the word about the special election in Georgia for Tom Price's seat. Jon Ossoff is the Democrat with the best chance of flipping this red seat.

Thanks for this.  I will speak in person to friends who still live in the area.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 02:27:06 PM by Zoot »

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #583 on: March 20, 2017, 08:29:31 AM »
Hung out with my oldest friend, who is a moderate Republican, and had a good, respectful conversation with her.  Remembered that dad of my son's good friend is originally from Georgia, and asked him to remind family about voter registration (though they aren't in the right district, can help word to get around.)

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #584 on: March 20, 2017, 10:51:37 AM »
Adding to the resources on how to have better conversations about politics, I've been enjoying a book called Don't Think of an Elephant. It talks about framing arguments in a way that supports a more 'liberal' world framework.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #585 on: March 21, 2017, 06:48:52 PM »
For anyone who can get to Manhattan, there is an event near Astor Place on March 30th with, get this, FREE DINNER.

"Are you interested in protecting and advancing healthcare equity? How about in social justice movements, like racial justice, immigrant rights, women's rights, rights of people with chronic illnesses and disabilities, and income inequality?

Caring for Us Indivisible and the Human Rights Association of NYU's College of Global Public Health are proud to present a panel on how all of these intersect, and what YOU can do to help protect the Affordable Care Act from Republican ravaging! "

FB event: https://www.facebook.com/events/422931614717862/

Google form to RSVP: https://goo.gl/forms/pQI2U2LeGDvIrMdo1

meerkat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #586 on: March 23, 2017, 07:08:53 AM »
As you've probably heard, the ACHA is going for a vote today in the House. Here's a good article by the NY Times showing how the different Reps are voting. I was able to do a CTRL+F to find mine and it had a link to an interview with him explaining why he's voting the way he is. I called and thanked him for voting against it and was able to include specifics, which was nice because we have very different view points and I actually had a couple items we agreed on.

When I first called this morning it went to voicemails, which were all full, but I called again a little later and was able to get through to a human and left my message with her.
meer journal for a meerkat

Will this matter in ten years?

jrhampt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #587 on: March 23, 2017, 12:37:47 PM »
I am really loving the resist-bot tool that allows you to fax your legislators by just sending a text (to get started just text "resist" to 50409).  I saw it recommended several places before I finally started using it yesterday.  It really is incredibly easy to use.  I have been using it to fax my people about Trumpcare.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #588 on: March 23, 2017, 12:42:23 PM »
I am really loving the resist-bot tool that allows you to fax your legislators by just sending a text (to get started just text "resist" to 50409).  I saw it recommended several places before I finally started using it yesterday.  It really is incredibly easy to use.  I have been using it to fax my people about Trumpcare.

Thanks, I've been testing this out too. Ease of use is great. I don't like that the same message goes to both senators and reps. I also had weird formatting on some messages from them, with question marks before each letter, did you experience that?

I emailed them about the latter issue, but want to get in touch to discuss more customization options. My rep doesn't need to be told to vote against Gorsuch for example.

jrhampt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #589 on: March 23, 2017, 12:50:00 PM »
I haven't had formatting problems, but I agree that it would be nice to be able to tailor the message depending on whether it's directed toward senators or my representative.  I'm still planning to augment with phone calls.  Maybe the "feedback" feature can help suggest some changes to the tool?

jrhampt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #590 on: March 23, 2017, 12:53:07 PM »
Check this out - I sent feedback to the resist-bot and got the following back:

Did you know?

You can target your message to just the House or Senate, or even just an individual Senator. When you are asked if you want to "send" the message, you can say:

house - only contact Elizabeth H. Esty
senate - only contact both senators
senior - only contact Senator Richard Blumenthal
junior - only contact Senator Christopher Murphy
all - send to both House and Senate

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #591 on: March 23, 2017, 01:00:48 PM »
A good point from a recent Rogan's List:
"    From Reba (one of our own) who spent a year as a policy fellow in a US Senate office and now is a federal science policy professional: This is the rule of thumb: the harder it is for a constituent to do, the more weight it is given. Which makes sense - people are driven to undertake a "heavy lift" (in any situation) when they are most passionate and involved and care the most. Members and their staff know this - it is basic human psychology. So they pay attention when constituents do things that are hard/ time-consuming/ personal/ require commitment. That is, in rough order: show up in person (at an office, or a town hall, or a local protest); call them on the phone; send a *personal* email that includes a personal story and is written in your own words, from your personal email account. That's it. Faxes, petitions, social media, postcards create buzz and PR but are not much of an influence on a member. And there is no way around that."

Fax is great, but slower to be counted and gets less attention than calls. Call AND fax!

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #592 on: March 23, 2017, 01:12:55 PM »
Check this out - I sent feedback to the resist-bot and got the following back:

Did you know?

You can target your message to just the House or Senate, or even just an individual Senator. When you are asked if you want to "send" the message, you can say:

house - only contact Elizabeth H. Esty
senate - only contact both senators
senior - only contact Senator Richard Blumenthal
junior - only contact Senator Christopher Murphy
all - send to both House and Senate

Thank you for this!

Poundwise, definitely agree with the order of priority. Faxing by text can bring in a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't take the time to call, but hopefully callers won't switch to faxes. Ideally the texters will progress to calling at some point.

jrhampt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #593 on: March 23, 2017, 01:19:32 PM »
Agreed. But my faxes are personal, too!  I feel like I can get more detailed in emails/faxes than on the phone, because I don't want to take up too much of their time.

meerkat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #594 on: March 24, 2017, 06:11:02 AM »
ACHA IS GOING TO VOTE TWO HOURS FROM NOW!

Please call! Fax! Something! Make your voice heard!
meer journal for a meerkat

Will this matter in ten years?

jrhampt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #595 on: March 24, 2017, 06:40:05 AM »
Sent three faxes.  Will follow up with a call.  It sounds like concessions to the "Freedom" Caucus have made Trumpcare even worse.

susanna

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #596 on: March 24, 2017, 07:38:52 AM »
Thank you, jrhampt, for the text-bot info! I tried the "house only" option. When you're ready to send and are prompted, just type back the single word "house". Don't add your Rep's name.

Makes me also feel like typing "Do you want to play a game?" (Kids, ask your parents.)
I spend time I can't get back reading unverifiable stories online about problems I don't have.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #597 on: March 24, 2017, 08:23:45 AM »

That bot rules!  I just sent $6 to paypal to support it, well worth it.  I have sent a link to almost everyone I know. 

Physicsteacher

• Bristles
« Reply #598 on: March 24, 2017, 10:34:08 AM »
Thank you for sharing the resist bot! For those of us with wicked phone anxiety, calling is definitely still worthwhile, but lowering the bar to interacting with those who represent us can make it much easier to continue voicing our opinions week after week.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #599 on: March 24, 2017, 11:49:50 AM »
Called House rep, a Republican perceived as swing vote, on ACHA yesterday.  All offices.