Author Topic: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance  (Read 71537 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
Re: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance
« Reply #500 on: February 18, 2017, 07:50:21 AM »
I hope this moronic survey is beingn blown uphttps://gop.com/mainstream-media-accountability-survey/

It's a tiny thing, but it's pissing me off, so I took it last night, and my dog took it this morning.

Hats off to everyone in this thread who is doing so much more.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #501 on: February 18, 2017, 08:07:10 AM »
A small group from the Indivisible group Pooperman started is meeting with an aide to our Congressman on Wednesday.  Congressman refuses to meet with anyone and won't hold a town hall.  Our first question will be when is he going to have town halls again.  I spoke with a reporter at the Raleigh news paper about the issue of our absent Congressman.  Story ran today and I didn't get misquoted!

High five!

horsepoor:

If you'd like to fill out an impressively biased survey on media bias sent out by the Trump camp:

Welcome to the Media Accountability Survey

Please DO NOT TAKE THIS SURVEY and similar ones that will pop up in the future. Their only purpose is to build their email list, which they can sell down the road.

http://www.avclub.com/article/second-thought-maybe-stop-taking-donald-trumps-med-250586?

Kris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #502 on: February 18, 2017, 08:54:36 AM »
If you'd like to fill out an impressively biased survey on media bias sent out by the Trump camp:

Please DO NOT TAKE THIS SURVEY and similar ones that will pop up in the future. Their only purpose is to build their email list, which they can sell down the road.

http://www.avclub.com/article/second-thought-maybe-stop-taking-donald-trumps-med-250586?

I'm totally fine with him getting an email list full of addresses like impeachhim@fucktrump.com
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 08:56:08 AM by Kris »
Please note: Libertarian4321 did not vote for either Hillary or Trump. He voted for Gary Johnson, who was the Libertarian candidate.

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
« Reply #503 on: February 18, 2017, 09:54:07 AM »

I'm totally fine with him getting an email list full of addresses like impeachhim@fucktrump.com

I filled it out with yourmom@wasafuckingimmigrant.com

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #504 on: February 18, 2017, 10:39:51 AM »
...and I didn't get misquoted!

YEAH!! And way to go, Reporter!!

lol, love all the email addresses so far... 

I'm always baffled by people one or two generations behind an immigrant who are opposed to immigration. How soon we forget??? I'm first generation here, and so grateful!!

ETA: re below, ncornilson and I chatted briefly by PM. I acknowledged there are at least two distinct camps opposed to immigration: one to all immigration; one to illegal immigration. It is clearly important to ncornilson that the two are not lumped together—whether intentionally or inadvertently—in any reference; that craving seems fair to me.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 08:38:58 AM by jooniperberries »

ncornilsen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #505 on: February 18, 2017, 01:55:56 PM »
I'm always baffled how people can't tell the difference between opposing illegal and opposing legal immigration. Hint: were only opposed to the illegal one.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #506 on: February 18, 2017, 02:03:37 PM »
Who is "we"? If you mean Trump supporters, I find it hard to reconcile both supporting the EO and supporting legal immigration. I have many other things I could say on this topic, but please start a new thread if you want to continue debating immigration.

Thank you.

ncornilsen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #507 on: February 18, 2017, 02:10:43 PM »
Who is "we"? If you mean Trump supporters, I find it hard to reconcile both supporting the EO and supporting legal immigration. I have many other things I could say on this topic, but please start a new thread if you want to continue debating immigration.

Thank you.

Rational conservatives, is the we.

Save your sanctimony for whoever it was that derailed to simplistic platitudes about immigraton in the first place. I won't persist with it any more in this thread if it's left alone.

MOD EDIT: Stop.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 01:53:51 AM by arebelspy »

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #508 on: February 18, 2017, 03:09:39 PM »
There's no need to be rude.

Johnez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #509 on: February 18, 2017, 03:12:18 PM »

Meh. Think of how embarrassing it would be renting out the list and having some big wig going through half of the emails being along the lines of fartsandbeans@trump.ru lol.

Also, I love this at the end:

But now President Trump is asking you to go the extra mile and make a contribution to help defend our movement from the outrageous attacks from the media coming our way.

Contribute now to help us fight back against the media’s attacks and deceptions

I thought the billionaire didn't need to beg for money...

Sockigal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #510 on: February 18, 2017, 03:51:23 PM »
Here is a really easy action item. I just did this and left a message. I wish I would have added why I oppose Steve Bannon. Maybe one of you can add a sentence or two to help sum up the reasons why he should not be on the NSC.
Super-Easy Action Item:
Help block Steve Bannon in 15 seconds or less. The Senate Committee on Homeland Security is inviting comment and COUNTING calls before deciding whether or not to approve Steve Bannon's appointment to the National Security Council.
Call and leave a message at: 202-224-4751.
Message: "My name is ______. I am from the state of ____ and am an American citizen. I oppose Steve Bannon being confirmed to sit on our National Security Council."
I just did this -- voicemail box was NOT full.

greengardens

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #511 on: February 19, 2017, 10:59:42 AM »
Writing my weekly letters to my elected officials. Which topic should I write to them this week? Last week was reiterating my concern about 45's conflicts of interests. Along those same lines I was thinking this week to ask for an investigation into his Russian ties. Anyone else have suggestions?

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #512 on: February 19, 2017, 12:25:51 PM »
Writing my weekly letters to my elected officials. Which topic should I write to them this week? Last week was reiterating my concern about 45's conflicts of interests. Along those same lines I was thinking this week to ask for an investigation into his Russian ties. Anyone else have suggestions?
If you're worried about Trump's Russian connections, you could also write about an independent investigation into Flynn's contact with the Russians. 

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #513 on: February 19, 2017, 12:29:15 PM »
If you want a script on Russia, you can go here: https://thesixtyfive.org/weeklyCTA

Hi, I'm [NAME], a constituent.

I'm calling to urge the [Senator/Representative's NAME] to support [H.Con.Res. 24], and demand full transparency about Michael Flynn's communication with Russia in the months prior to Donald Trump's inauguration. Although Flynn has resigned, there are still serious unanswered questions about the extent of the President's involvement. The American people deserve to know what President Trump knew and when he knew it. Tell the [Senator/Representative's NAME] that I want them to condemn Flynn's actions in the strongest possible terms, and continue to push for an exhaustive investigation into the entire adminstration's communications with Russia both during the election and in the months after.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #514 on: February 19, 2017, 12:34:32 PM »
Town halls this coming week. Unlikely for MOCs to come, but we'll be hosting anyway!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 09:03:59 PM by Pooperman »

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #515 on: February 20, 2017, 07:29:01 AM »

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #516 on: February 20, 2017, 09:21:35 AM »
From Indivisible Facebook:

MONDAY 2/20/17 ACTIONS, NATIONAL: INVESTIGATE TRUMP TEAM'S RUSSIA TIES! Please copy & paste.

There's obviously a lot going on out there. No harm in calling about anything else that concerns you. But for today, I'm recommending hammering the Russia ties again (see linked article for the latest development). I believe the administration is vulnerable there, and we need to keep the pressure on from our legislators.

The Republicans are trying to sweep the Trump administration's potentially treasonous ties to Russia under the rug. We can't let them do that, and we can't let this story die. This is not just about Michael Flynn; it goes much deeper than that. Today, let's make a bicameral sweep of calls to demand a real investigation.

SENATE ACTION: Call your Senator.
If you're in Minnesota, these are your Senators' numbers:

Senator Al Franken: (202) 224-5641 / 651-221-1016. Thank him for cosponsoring SB 27.
Senator Amy Klobuchar: (202) 224-3244 / 612-727-5220 Thank her for cosponsoring SB 27.

Script: "Hello. My name is _______. My zip code is _____. I don't need a personal response. I'm calling for the Senator to support S.B. 27, which calls for independent investigations of the Trump administration's ties to the Russian government. We need an independent investigation of a compromised government. If you could pass my concerns along, I'd appreciate it." Be sure to thank the staffer for their time.

= = = = =

HOUSE ACTION: Expose Trump's Russia ties and conflicts of interest.
"On Feb 9th Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) filed a 'resolution of inquiry', a relatively obscure parliamentary tactic used to force presidents and executive-branch agencies to share records with Congress. Under House practice, such a resolution must be debated and acted upon in committee or else it can be discharged to the House floor for consideration." —Washington Post

1A. WHAT TO DO: Call the House Judiciary Committee at 202.225.3951.
Script: "Hello. I'm calling to support Jerrold Nadler's resolution of inquiry to shed light on the President's conflicts of interests and ties to Russian intelligence. I urge the Committee to debate and act on this matter at once. Thank you for your time." (If your representative serves on the Committee, make sure to mention that: here's a list of committee members: https://judiciary.house.gov/…/115th-Full-Committee-020917-u…)

1B. Call your member of the US House of Representatives and urge them to support the inquiry as well— especially if they serve on the House Judiciary Committee! Use the above script again.
If you're in Minneapolis, call Congressman Keith Ellison: (202) 225-4755 / 612-522-1212
If you're in St Paul, contact Congresswoman Betty McCollum: (202) 225-6631/ (651) 224-9191

BONUS ROUND: Looking for more action items? This lady is not messing around: http://roganslist.blogspot.com/

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/19/us/politics/donald-trump-ukraine-russia.html

jrhampt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #517 on: February 20, 2017, 10:56:20 AM »
Last week I went to the local indivisible meeting.  This week I submitted testimony to support a bill requiring presidential candidates to release tax returns in order to qualify to appear on the state ballot in Connecticut. Since trump has already kicked off his 2020 campaign, I'm glad to see this bill being introduced.  Tomorrow evening I attend a town hall held by one of our senators.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • Formerly of the Deep Ellum Variety
« Reply #518 on: February 20, 2017, 04:17:30 PM »

Obviously I need to fill it out properly next time
And a journal because I #REF occasionally

Kris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #519 on: February 20, 2017, 04:25:41 PM »

Obviously I need to fill it out properly next time

Luckily for you, you have another chance. Poor little SCROTUS didn't like the way Democrats rained on his last survey, so they changed the URL and sent it out again to the true believers.

Here it is. They didn't even bother to change the shitty, awkward-as-hell sentence structure of the last one:

https://action.donaldjtrump.com/mainstream-media-accountability-survey/
Please note: Libertarian4321 did not vote for either Hillary or Trump. He voted for Gary Johnson, who was the Libertarian candidate.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #520 on: February 20, 2017, 04:56:02 PM »
I’m helping flip/keep seats blue! I donated to special elections in Delaware and Georgia. Delaware’s is in 5 days, Feb 25. A Democrat won in 2014 by only 267 votes.

You can also help by making calls to voters in those districts.

https://www.flippable.org/upcoming-elections/

It also helps to share this on Facebook etc even if you don't think people will care. I posted about the Delaware election previously, and someone I only met once thanked me, since he's from there. He donated and told all his friends about it.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #521 on: February 20, 2017, 05:05:02 PM »
I’m helping flip/keep seats blue! I donated to special elections in Delaware and Georgia. Delaware’s is in 5 days, Feb 25. A Democrat won in 2014 by only 267 votes.

You can also help by making calls to voters in those districts.

https://www.flippable.org/upcoming-elections/

It also helps to share this on Facebook etc even if you don't think people will care. I posted about the Delaware election previously, and someone I only met once thanked me, since he's from there. He donated and told all his friends about it.
Awesome! Thanks!

A friend and I wrote ~15 postcards each today over lunch. 

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #522 on: February 20, 2017, 06:17:41 PM »

Have you read the Indivisible guide? They say phone calls get tallied every day. I don't think the letters get tallied.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #523 on: February 20, 2017, 06:58:18 PM »

Have you read the Indivisible guide? They say phone calls get tallied every day. I don't think the letters get tallied.

It may vary by rep. My reps tally calls, emails, and letters/postcards. It's worth calling once and asking what gets counted. Calls do have a bigger impact, especially if you have a personal story. If you don't have time to call or can't get through, emails and postcards are a decent alternative (probably).

Also postcards are better than letters in envelopes. There's a huge backlog of letters since they need to be opened and screened for containing substances. Postcards get through much faster.

greengardens

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #524 on: February 21, 2017, 06:04:23 AM »

It may vary by rep. My reps tally calls, emails, and letters/postcards. It's worth calling once and asking what gets counted. Calls do have a bigger impact, especially if you have a personal story. If you don't have time to call or can't get through, emails and postcards are a decent alternative (probably).

Also postcards are better than letters in envelopes. There's a huge backlog of letters since they need to be opened and screened for containing substances. Postcards get through much faster.

Yes I have, but my schedule is more friendly to writing postcards. My two federal Senators, my state senator and my state representative have all responded to my e-mails and postcards quite quickly. The only person who has not responded to anything is my congressional representative. I think I'll have to call his D.C. Office or visit his district office. Unfortunately I don't have time during the week to make calls so I will have to try this weekend

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #525 on: February 21, 2017, 09:19:12 AM »

Yes I have, but my schedule is more friendly to writing postcards. My two federal Senators, my state senator and my state representative have all responded to my e-mails and postcards quite quickly. The only person who has not responded to anything is my congressional representative. I think I'll have to call his D.C. Office or visit his district office. Unfortunately I don't have time during the week to make calls so I will have to try this weekend
I like to mix up my method of contact--postcards, e-mails, fax (faxzero.com for 5 free faxes/day), and calls. 

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache

LifeHappens

• Handlebar Stache
  • Downshifting from 5th to 3rd Gear

Unique User

• Bristles
« Reply #528 on: February 23, 2017, 07:05:07 AM »
Anyone know how to craft a press release?  Met with my representative's district counsel yesterday and heard some interesting things.  Two things stood out (1) she did not expect us to discuss National Security and our congressman's No vote on 45's tax returns on the Ways and Means committee.  She expected us to want to talk about the ACA and had a pre-prepared sheet that started off with an inflammatory statement and proceeded to list talking points and meaningless platitudes.  (2) She also mentioned that his scheduler had received hundreds of emails asking to meet with the congressman but that he would not hold a town hall and that the scheduler was having trouble responding to all the requests.  We asked for a meeting with him in two months and was told she could not confirm in that he was so busy.   

Tasty Pinecones

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #529 on: February 23, 2017, 07:26:04 AM »
I hope this moronic survey is beingn blown uphttps://gop.com/mainstream-media-accountability-survey/

It's a tiny thing, but it's pissing me off, so I took it last night, and my dog took it this morning.

Hats off to everyone in this thread who is doing so much more.

Use throw away email addresses i.e. get a free email account and use that address otherwise you will get SPAMMED sooner or later. My throw away address gets tens of SPAM messages a day. I check it once a month and delete everything. Hundreds of messages!

Tasty Pinecones

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #530 on: February 23, 2017, 07:38:55 AM »
But now President Trump is asking you to go the extra mile and make a contribution to help defend our movement from the outrageous attacks from the media coming our way.

Contribute now to help us fight back against the media’s attacks and deceptions

I thought the billionaire didn't need to beg for money...

Let trump and his billionaire friends fund whatever the flip they want to fund.

Billionaire asking a guy that makes $40K a year for money. Are you kidding me??? Let the GOP create a GoFundMe page.

From the survey: "Do you believe that if Republicans were obstructing Obama like Democrats are doing to President Trump, the mainstream media would attack Republicans?"

IF Republicans were obstructing Obama? Oh that's rich...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 08:01:28 AM by Tasty Pinecones »

Tasty Pinecones

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #531 on: February 23, 2017, 07:40:44 AM »
Here is a really easy action item. I just did this and left a message. I wish I would have added why I oppose Steve Bannon. Maybe one of you can add a sentence or two to help sum up the reasons why he should not be on the NSC.
Super-Easy Action Item:
Help block Steve Bannon in 15 seconds or less. The Senate Committee on Homeland Security is inviting comment and COUNTING calls before deciding whether or not to approve Steve Bannon's appointment to the National Security Council.
Call and leave a message at: 202-224-4751.
Message: "My name is ______. I am from the state of ____ and am an American citizen. I oppose Steve Bannon being confirmed to sit on our National Security Council."
I just did this -- voicemail box was NOT full.

Did it!

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #532 on: February 23, 2017, 08:11:26 AM »
Anyone know how to craft a press release?

I recommend doing one level up from that: Write an article exactly as a newspaper's sounds. i.e., Observe the standard style of opening, quoting, paragraphs, etc, write the article, and submit that. Keep it focused, but flesh it out as completely as is accurate, relevant, interesting, etc.

For different media (magazines, etc), mimic each one's specific style.

I've had very high success having these published.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #533 on: February 23, 2017, 08:20:28 AM »
Anyone know how to craft a press release?

PM me your email address and I'll ask NY's PR team to get in touch with you. They may have templates or examples.

ETA: There are also tips in the Indivisible Group Leader Toolkit: https://www.indivisibleguide.com/group-toolkit#media-header
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 08:32:18 AM by MonkeyJenga »

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #534 on: February 23, 2017, 08:24:36 AM »
My action: After listening to the news about the EO (?) to send yet more people out of the US, discussed with my 12 year old the nuance between "having a criminal record" and "having done something bad" or "being a threat". i.e., Explained how there is, yes, in some cases an overlap—in some cases the latter resulting in the former—but that there is also frequently a distinction, such that we cannot determine "badness", scariness, threat, wrongdoing, etc, solely on the basis of one "having criminal record". e.g., If the law is to turn your neighbour in to the Nazis because she's Jewish, and you don't, have you done bad? If your child is malnourished and you steal an apple for him, have you done bad? Also explored the impact of black and white thinking, how we can heal this in ourselves, etc.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #535 on: February 23, 2017, 12:12:44 PM »
NY Indivisible held a Town Hall last night. I am traveling, but by all accounts it went fabulously! We packed an 800+ seat venue and had people watching the livestream from all over the country. This was our first big event and I'm so, so happy it went well. We didn't get our senators to show up (booo!) but we had 6 speakers from amazing organizations. Still following up with media outlets to ensure coverage.

Short clip from NYCLU speaker, and a glimpse of an audience member waving a flag: https://twitter.com/ny_indivisible/status/834581645629997056

I drafted the follow-up email to encourage attendees to get involved further.

We're also raising funds to cover the cost of the venue. A couple people in our group generously put up the money in advance. We're already up to $1,190 of the $1,500 needed!

I am coordinating a meeting between my district's Indivisible group and our House Rep. No town hall, so we will need to press for one during the next congressional recess.

I didn't expect to be doing this much work while on vacation!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:17:49 PM by MonkeyJenga »

jrhampt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #536 on: February 23, 2017, 01:09:48 PM »
Called my senator to thank him after attending his town hall meeting earlier this week and contributed to his reelection campaign.

meerkat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #537 on: February 24, 2017, 01:32:22 PM »
Does anyone have a script for how to ask what counts, in terms of phone calls/emails/faxes/etc.? I tried to ask the other day but fumbled the question so I got a kind of wishy washy answer.

I finally added the different office numbers into my phone for my senators, the timing works out well for me to take my break and walk the parking lot. I get the Indivisible email every day and write down my one issue on a post it to take with me as I go outside. I can call a few numbers and get through the busy signals and full voice mail boxes and finally get through to a person for each senator, then walk back in within fifteen minutes.
meer journal for a meerkat

Will this matter in ten years?

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #538 on: February 24, 2017, 02:59:31 PM »
I made all my phone calls for the day. Congress got messages regarding the NSC. With State representatives I asked them to pass the sanctuary state bill. I've been calling my congresspeople for a while, but have expanded it to include state representatives.

LorettaLynn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #539 on: February 24, 2017, 04:38:18 PM »
Another idea if calls and postcards aren't your "thing":   Friend signed up for 2 tickets at the Trump rally in FL on DT's website.  Friend DID NOT GO.  So 2 empty seats.  You can use a dummy email so as not to be spammed by DT and company.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #540 on: February 24, 2017, 09:15:37 PM »
Contact your state rep and ask him/her to please cosponsor Rep. Nadler's demand that the Department of Justice turn over all relevant material on Trump's potential ties with Russia and any possible business conflicts of interest.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/trump-conflicts-house-resolution-235288

My rep responds well to tweets so I am going to reference #ResolutionofInquiry.

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #541 on: February 24, 2017, 09:35:16 PM »
Inspiration: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/02/false-flag-operation-at-cpac/517842/

(MJ, if this is something you'd rather I not post I will delete it.)

Unique User

• Bristles
« Reply #542 on: February 26, 2017, 08:16:06 AM »

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #543 on: February 28, 2017, 02:32:37 PM »
Called the Senate Intelligence Committee, and asked for a truly bi-partisan inquiry and transparency regarding their findings. Call, leave a message or send a fax

202-224-1700

202-224-1772

Optional script:
I am urging Sen/Rep_____ to ask for a bi-partisan select committee to investigate Trump’s ties with Russia.  I believe that this is the only way to conduct a truly independent and thorough investigation – one that happens in the public eye, and results in a transparent delivery of its findings. 

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #544 on: March 06, 2017, 06:52:58 PM »
5 Calls has apps for Google Play and Apple now: https://5calls.org/

The site also still has plenty of scripts to use. You can choose which issue you care about, and they will give you background, scripts, and numbers to call.

I was at a NY Indivisible meeting on Sunday, and one item we discussed is that the call volume is dropping off significantly. It is VITAL that we keep calling! The pressure put on Sessions, and the outcry after he was confirmed, helped force him to recuse himself.

If you fax, include your full name, address, and phone number. Otherwise it won't get counted.

I am helping plan another NY Indivisible town hall for the April congressional recess. We wanted to try for March 16, but we did the last event in 2 weeks and it was insane pressure.

Instead, we are teaming up with a group already holding an event on the ACA and LGBTQ rights next Sunday. They need our help getting the word out so they can fill the 350-seat space.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #545 on: March 06, 2017, 07:12:46 PM »
Daily Action for March 6, 2017: Georgia's Special Election to Replace Tom Price

I donated more money yesterday to Jon Ossoff. Contributions are being matched by anonymous donors, so even if you can only contribute $10, that's $20 going to him.

This is the most critical election of 2017. Jon is running in a traditionally red district in Georgia that Trump only won by 1.5 points. If a Democrat can take this seat, it would create huge momentum for other special elections in 2017 and the larger map in 2018.

To donate: https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/flipga6

To volunteer (they reportedly set up virtual phone banking): https://electjon.com/volunteer/

We can make a real difference.

Flippable and Sister District helped raise $130,000 and mobilize volunteers for a state senate special election in Delaware. This seat would determine control of the Delaware Senate. The Republican candidate had lost the previous election by only 2 points, and turnout is always low in special elections, which favors Republicans.

The Democrat, Stephanie Hansen, won by 16 points.

Every dollar helps, and every call helps.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 07:14:32 PM by MonkeyJenga »

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #546 on: March 07, 2017, 05:14:46 AM »
Hey MonkeyJenga, my local Indivisible group had our kickoff meeting yesterday. We are small but feisty! I invited two friends whom I thought would be interested, and they were!

jrhampt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #547 on: March 07, 2017, 06:25:04 AM »
Attended swing left house party Saturday night and congresswoman 's town hall Sunday.  Emailed state rep Monday about a conversion therapy bill in my state, called congresswoman with follow up comments on town hall, contributed to senator 's re-election campaign.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #548 on: March 07, 2017, 07:10:16 AM »
I'd like some thoughts about calling.  My congress rep is R, and basically a robot.  One of the ones who didn't do a town hall, etc.

My senator is D and seems fairly awesome based on his twitter & positions.

5calls only has things to call on my senator for.  I can call to say he is great, and I support him, but I feel like it would make more of a difference to get my congress rep actually feeling some pressure and voting his conscience on a couple of the more egregious measures. 

Thoughts/ideas?  When I couldn't sleep on Sunday night, I was trying to figure out a script along the lines of "I want the congressman to think about what line he isn't willing to cross in supporting this WH leadership and write it down.  And then look at it every day to make sure he hasn't crossed it yet.  It would also be great if he communicated to his constituents what that line is."  But I fear that is sounding crackpotty.
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

former player

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #549 on: March 07, 2017, 07:27:38 AM »
I'd like some thoughts about calling.  My congress rep is R, and basically a robot.  One of the ones who didn't do a town hall, etc.

My senator is D and seems fairly awesome based on his twitter & positions.

5calls only has things to call on my senator for.  I can call to say he is great, and I support him, but I feel like it would make more of a difference to get my congress rep actually feeling some pressure and voting his conscience on a couple of the more egregious measures. 

Thoughts/ideas?  When I couldn't sleep on Sunday night, I was trying to figure out a script along the lines of "I want the congressman to think about what line he isn't willing to cross in supporting this WH leadership and write it down.  And then look at it every day to make sure he hasn't crossed it yet.  It would also be great if he communicated to his constituents what that line is."  But I fear that is sounding crackpotty.
You need help from whoever else in your area has the same feelings.  Democrats?  Indivisible?  There will be someone who is already organising in your area and whom you could support.  For representatives who are "missing in action" there have been some awesome "missing" posters and milk cartons, etc.

If you are contacting your representative direct, you need to make it positive, specific and actionable: "support the inquiry into the Trump campaign's Russia connections", for instance.
Be frugal and industrious, and you will be free (Ben Franklin)