Author Topic: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance  (Read 64826 times)

Unique User

• Bristles
Re: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance
« Reply #450 on: February 08, 2017, 11:52:46 AM »
On Jan 30, 2017, the house of reps introduced House Resolution 48 "Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States providing that the rights extended by the Constitution are the rights of natural persons only."

While there's a lot of noise about Trump's administration, ultimately, our problem is that we've lost our representative democracy. We have 158 families controlling the representatives that are supposed to represent 320,000,000 of us. There are lots of pieces to fix - one of which is clearly legislating that the constitution applies to people and not corporations.  An amendment of this sort would kill the Citizen's United ruling, and walk us back to a political system where money != speech.

If you are support this this - PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF MERGATROID - contact your representative in the house of reps. Tell them to co-sponsor Resolution 48. Point out the other reps from their state and/or party who are already on board. ((actually all but one are Dems - who's the rockstar republican here? That's right - the badass out of the shallow south - Rep. Jones, Walter B., Jr. [R-NC-3]) You can find the names of the bill's co-sponsors here).

Here's what I sent to my representative:

Dear Ms. ---,

I'm a supportive constituent registered to vote in (your district). While everyone is battling over the latest oddity from the Trump administration, please take a step back and recognize that we are where we are because our privately funded two party system. This system has given rise to corporate personhood. I'm 100% against corporations (including PACs) being given the same rights under the constitution as citizens.

Please - join 5 of your California colleagues and sponsor House Joint Resolution 48. ( https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-joint-resolution/48/ )

"H.J.Res.48 - Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States providing that the rights extended by the Constitution are the rights of natural persons only."

Already on board from CA are:

Rep. Takano, Mark [D-CA-41]
Rep. Lee, Barbara [D-CA-13]
Rep. Khanna, Ro [D-CA-17]
Rep. Lieu, Ted [D-CA-33]
Rep. Huffman, Jared [D-CA-2]

PLEASE - even as you deal with the latest developments from the current administration, PLEASE do all you can to FIX THE SYSTEM. Please co-sponsor joint resolution 48, and support any and all efforts to end this privately funded political system. Stopping corporate personhood (and the idea that $ is speech) is a start. There's much more to do. But let's start with Res 48.

I'm rooting for you!

Malaysia41

Here's more info on the amendment: https://movetoamend.org/amendment

Done - I sent it to my NC Republican rep.  Thanks for the info. 

LifeHappens

• Handlebar Stache
  • Downshifting from 5th to 3rd Gear
« Reply #451 on: February 08, 2017, 12:39:52 PM »
Indivisible is providing calling scrips on some issues now. https://www.indivisibleguide.com/resources-2/2017/2/6/scripts

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #452 on: February 08, 2017, 01:12:26 PM »
Woke up this morning to the news that Nordstrom has dropped Ivanka Trump's fashion line from their clothing options available for sale. Hard to know whether the reason for the decision is fact or alternative fact - poor sales, poor sales as a result of boycotts, or if it is just a crap product.

Got me thinking that of all the barbs and jabs directed at your President, hitting him financially is the only real way to hurt this guy. And there is also nothing worse for a captain of industry to be labelled with the adjective "disgraced former businessman..."

I would expect to see more problems with the Trump retail brands over the coming months as people begin to question their purchasing choices further.

iris lily

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #453 on: February 08, 2017, 03:38:00 PM »
Woke up this morning to the news that Nordstrom has dropped Ivanka Trump's fashion line from their clothing options available for sale. Hard to know whether the reason for the decision is fact or alternative fact - poor sales, poor sales as a result of boycotts, or if it is just a crap product.

Got me thinking that of all the barbs and jabs directed at your President, hitting him financially is the only real way to hurt this guy. And there is also nothing worse for a captain of industry to be labelled with the adjective "disgraced former businessman..."

I would expect to see more problems with the Trump retail brands over the coming months as people begin to question their purchasing choices further.
My Trump voting friend just ordered her 3rd case of Trump wine, so there is that side as well, shoring up the sales.

To keep this focused of acts of resistance, I did NOT order a case of Trump wine today. Haha.  But
I will probably drink a glass of it this evening at the home of my friend.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 06:09:01 PM by iris lily »

meerkat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #454 on: February 08, 2017, 04:25:14 PM »
On Jan 30, 2017, the house of reps introduced House Resolution 48 "Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States providing that the rights extended by the Constitution are the rights of natural persons only."

While there's a lot of noise about Trump's administration, ultimately, our problem is that we've lost our representative democracy. We have 158 families controlling the representatives that are supposed to represent 320,000,000 of us. There are lots of pieces to fix - one of which is clearly legislating that the constitution applies to people and not corporations.  An amendment of this sort would kill the Citizen's United ruling, and walk us back to a political system where money != speech.

If you are support this this - PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF MERGATROID - contact your representative in the house of reps. Tell them to co-sponsor Resolution 48. Point out the other reps from their state and/or party who are already on board. ((actually all but one are Dems - who's the rockstar republican here? That's right - the badass out of the shallow south - Rep. Jones, Walter B., Jr. [R-NC-3]) You can find the names of the bill's co-sponsors here).

Dear Ms. ---,

I'm a supportive constituent registered to vote in (your district). While everyone is battling over the latest oddity from the Trump administration, please take a step back and recognize that we are where we are because our privately funded two party system. This system has given rise to corporate personhood. I'm 100% against corporations (including PACs) being given the same rights under the constitution as citizens.

Please - join 5 of your California colleagues and sponsor House Joint Resolution 48. ( https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-joint-resolution/48/ )

"H.J.Res.48 - Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States providing that the rights extended by the Constitution are the rights of natural persons only."

Rep. Lieu, Ted [D-CA-33]

PLEASE - even as you deal with the latest developments from the current administration, PLEASE do all you can to FIX THE SYSTEM. Please co-sponsor joint resolution 48, and support any and all efforts to end this privately funded political system. Stopping corporate personhood (and the idea that $ is speech) is a start. There's much more to do. But let's start with Res 48.

I'm rooting for you!

Malaysia41

Done! Thank you for providing the basic letter, I adjusted it to fit my situation/rep and sent it off.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 06:12:15 PM by meerkat »
meer journal for a meerkat

Will this matter in ten years?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #455 on: February 08, 2017, 04:48:48 PM »
I just emailed my senators and complained about the whole Elizabeth Warren situation.  I'm disgusted.

PepperPeter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #456 on: February 09, 2017, 11:16:58 AM »

Dear Ms. ---,

Rep. Lieu, Ted [D-CA-33]

I'm rooting for you!

Malaysia41

Done! Thank you for providing the basic letter, I adjusted it to fit my situation/rep and sent it off.

Here's the current list of co-sponsors as of this morning:

Rep. McCollum, Betty [D-MN-4]
Rep. Cartwright, Matt [D-PA-17]
Rep. Ellison, Keith [D-MN-5]
Rep. Pocan, Mark [D-WI-2]
Rep. Blumenauer, Earl [D-OR-3]
Rep. DeFazio, Peter A. [D-OR-4]
Rep. O'Rourke, Beto [D-TX-16]
Rep. Slaughter, Louise McIntosh [D-NY-25]
Rep. Grijalva, Raul M. [D-AZ-3]
Rep. Conyers, John, Jr. [D-MI-13]
Rep. Engel, Eliot L. [D-NY-16]
Rep. Tonko, Paul [D-NY-20]
Rep. Raskin, Jamie [D-MD-8]
Rep. Capuano, Michael E. [D-MA-7]
Rep. Lieu, Ted [D-CA-33]
Rep. Norcross, Donald [D-NJ-1]
Rep. Jones, Walter B., Jr. [R-NC-3]
Rep. Beyer, Donald S., Jr. [D-VA-8]
Rep. Serrano, Jose E. [D-NY-15]   
Rep. Norton, Eleanor Holmes [D-DC-At Large]

Kris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #457 on: February 09, 2017, 11:19:21 AM »
Yay! My rep joined! I feel like it was because of me! :D
Please note: Libertarian4321 did not vote for either Hillary or Trump. He voted for Gary Johnson, who was the Libertarian candidate.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #458 on: February 09, 2017, 01:31:42 PM »
Awesome guys! Note: it is 'house joint resolution 48 (out of the 115th congress).

Pointing that out to make sure your reference is precise. I fixed my OP on the call to action, but thought I should point it out.

Also you can register on congress.gov and sign up for updates on the resolution
Last one to panic wins!

My Rohingya Refugee Charity (now Tax Exempt!)

I'm an enemy of POTUS, VPOTUS, and the privately funded political system that inflicted them upon us.

jrhampt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #459 on: February 09, 2017, 02:00:50 PM »
I just called the ethics hotline to complain about Conway using her position as a federal employee to tell people to buy Ivanka trump products:

202-482-9300 and press 5 to leave a message

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #460 on: February 09, 2017, 02:17:13 PM »
Don't just concentrate on the national stage... get educated about and involved in your local political scene. To see why this is important, read the following article:
http://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2016/07/19/gerrymandering-republicans-redmap

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #461 on: February 09, 2017, 03:10:02 PM »
I'm going to a postcard writing gathering tonight, so I'm going to include a letter about house joint resolution 48 as well. Two representatives from Oregon have already cosponsored, but not MY representative. He's a democrat, but not the most liberal democrat.

What else should I write about? It's not there are not enough issues abounding, it's just that I live in Oregon. My senators are dong what I want them to do, the Representatives mostly are too.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #462 on: February 09, 2017, 05:48:37 PM »
Emailed state senate education committee to oppose stripping climate change from education standards.

YAY, Idaho's not in enough of a time warp. Let's hobble our kids then wonder why they can't get jobs.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #463 on: February 09, 2017, 06:15:56 PM »
A go fund me to try to get our senator to have a town hall. He's not had one since 2010. If we can get 8k for the full page, it might make an impression. Sadly, we've got two senators and both are ass hats.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #464 on: February 09, 2017, 06:39:13 PM »
Freckles, you can thank your reps for doing what you want them to do. They need that positive feedback to cancel out the negative feedback they are surely getting from R's.

A go fund me to try to get our senator to have a town hall. He's not had one since 2010. If we can get 8k for the full page, it might make an impression. Sadly, we've got two senators and both are ass hats.

Is there a way to get press around the GoFundMe? And if someone reports on GFM, they will be more likely to report on the ad itself when it goes live, and future attempts to call out your reps.

Does the NC Indivisible team have a media list going?

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #465 on: February 09, 2017, 07:10:31 PM »
Freckles, you can thank your reps for doing what you want them to do. They need that positive feedback to cancel out the negative feedback they are surely getting from R's.

Is there a way to get press around the GoFundMe? And if someone reports on GFM, they will be more likely to report on the ad itself when it goes live, and future attempts to call out your reps.

Does the NC Indivisible team have a media list going?

Good idea. I'm asking around. Some of the admins have local media contacts, so hopefully we can put them on notice so they ca report on it and give us a little extra boost.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #466 on: February 09, 2017, 07:17:14 PM »
IF YOU LIVE IN VIRGINIA (or know someone who does, or might know someone who knows someone who does)

Please send them here: http://bluevirginia.us/2017/02/need-democratic-recruits-virginia-need-now

And here: https://www.runforsomething.net/

You can share on other sites with "Action alert: Read and forward to anyone you know in Virginia. They desperately need candidates to win easy seats in the state legislature. Seats that Hillary Clinton carried but have Republicans running unopposed!"

SisterX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #467 on: February 09, 2017, 11:29:35 PM »
Once again, I'm sorry but this is not an actionable post. However, this is an important read for all of us. It's about the mining of data and how it (probably almost certainly) helped elect Trump. Hive mind, what shall we do to counteract this type of thing in the future?

It's also MMM relevant because the same stuff could be used for targeted ads which, apparently, have huge returns for the marketers. So there's that. The more you know?

To (hopefully) make up for my lack of anything concrete and actionable, here's your daily dose of inspiration:

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #468 on: February 10, 2017, 12:13:31 PM »
Sent an email responding to a political article in a national news source... have been invited by the author to be interviewed for a followup article!  Not sure I should take the opportunity... what kind of protections are there on my privacy? If they say they won't print my full name, do they have to keep their promise??
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 12:43:42 PM by Poundwise »

Unique User

• Bristles
« Reply #469 on: February 10, 2017, 12:26:44 PM »
This may be the wrong thread to ask this question, but who would investigate Michael Flynn for violating the Logan Act as well as his initial denials that he never discussed sanctions with Russia in December?  Would it be the OGE?  Trying to figure out my Monday roster of calls/emails. 

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #470 on: February 10, 2017, 12:46:14 PM »
Sent an email to the author, responding to a political article in a national news source... have been invited to be interviewed for a followup article!  Not sure I should take the opportunity... what kind of protections are there on my privacy? If they say they won't print my full name, do they have to keep their promise??

I wouldn't do it unless it was a publication I trusted.

The only time I did a newspaper interview, they did the interview via e-mail (so everything was in writing) and then they deliberately changed the words I sent them so that what I "said" was wrong, made no sense, and made me appear to be an absolute idiot. With my full name and photo attached, and the name of the company I worked for. :-( It was not a top-tier newspaper but it is a major city daily with hundreds of thousands of subscribers, so I'd assumed they would at least be professional.
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #471 on: February 10, 2017, 12:54:27 PM »
This is a top-tier publication, but I'm not sure about the author. Have been speed reading her articles trying to get a handle on how she will spin what I say.

Cassie

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #472 on: February 10, 2017, 02:24:02 PM »
Thanks for the info on Indivisible. We have a local group so I signed up.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #473 on: February 11, 2017, 09:08:28 AM »
The only time I did a newspaper interview, they did the interview via e-mail (so everything was in writing) and then they deliberately changed the words I sent them so that what I "said" was wrong, made no sense, and made me appear to be an absolute idiot. With my full name and photo attached, and the name of the company I worked for. :-( It was not a top-tier newspaper but it is a major city daily with hundreds of thousands of subscribers, so I'd assumed they would at least be professional.

I've had that kind of experience too, multiple times. There seems to be no requirement for papers to quote a person accurately, never mind to hold things in context, etc. After several such experiences, I stopped participating and have taken every news article since with a grain of salt. ("This person may or may not have said this.") I only trust first-person accounts now (opinion pieces, books, etc), and only if I'm fairly confident the author had an editor they trust. There was one article, though, that was spot on and that I learned a lot about me from. That was really cool. I think that journalist was highly skilled. But, it was a one-off.

I would do the article, Poundwise, only if you (a) really trust the journalist and publisher after your speed read and (b) are willing for there to be some errors about you.

Kris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #474 on: February 11, 2017, 09:17:12 AM »

I've had that kind of experience too, multiple times. There seems to be no requirement for papers to quote a person accurately, never mind to hold things in context, etc. After several such experiences, I stopped participating and have taken every news article since with a grain of salt. ("This person may or may not have said this.") I only trust first-person accounts now (opinion pieces, books, etc), and only if I'm fairly confident the author had an editor they trust. There was one article, though, that was spot on and that I learned a lot about me from. That was really cool. I think that journalist was highly skilled. But, it was a one-off.

I would do the article, Poundwise, only if you (a) really trust the journalist and publisher after your speed read and (b) are willing for there to be some errors about you.

I've had the same experience, three times. (Once via email and twice with a face-to-face interview that was recorded.)
Please note: Libertarian4321 did not vote for either Hillary or Trump. He voted for Gary Johnson, who was the Libertarian candidate.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #475 on: February 11, 2017, 09:54:18 AM »
Hmm. Thanks for your input, Joon, Kris, and Dollar Slice! I think I may pass on this... I was tempted because I thought I might get my words out there, but really I would just be used to color somebody else's agenda.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #476 on: February 11, 2017, 10:20:13 AM »
On the daily acts, today I hope to attend my first-ever event held by a state senator.  I am not sure what to do when I am there, will just go and watch and see what issues are brought up.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #477 on: February 11, 2017, 03:58:23 PM »
Anyone in NYC who wants to do something resistance-y and arty on Monday: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/resistance-soup-tickets-31934138869

Event calendar of NYC protests, political actions, demonstrations, workshops, organizing trainings, and planning meetings. Attend, act, and create social change! http://takeactionnyc.com/nyc-protest-event-calendar/

If anyone knows of similar calendars for states or cities, please let me know.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #478 on: February 11, 2017, 07:52:15 PM »
On the daily acts, today I hope to attend my first-ever event held by a state senator.  I am not sure what to do when I am there, will just go and watch and see what issues are brought up.

That's great.  Being present, holding witness.  Agree/disagree as you see fit.  At the very least, you're showing that people are paying attention, and that might impact their future decisions.
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #479 on: February 12, 2017, 01:24:25 PM »
Well, I went and listened for a while (mostly questions/complaints about highway conditions, school taxes, etc. some of which should properly have gone to the county) and then I raised my hand and by way of introduction said, "I'm with Indivisible." At which point, there was kind of a collective gasp and murmur.   I asked a question regarding reproductive rights, which was answered to my satisfaction. After the event, I was contacted by several other women, who turned out to belong to an Indivisible group in a neighboring town, and we were able to spread the word to some other women who came up to us!!

So that was a productive hour, I think.

iris lily

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #480 on: February 12, 2017, 02:38:18 PM »
My political action yesterday was to remove a political sign  from my yard, a sign someone had placed there without my permission. It was a "Lyda Krewson for Mayor " sign. And while I had considered voting for Lyda, when I heard her support for the ridiculous "sanctuary city for reproductive rights" bill that recently passed here, I discounted her as losing any common sense she might have had.

One can be supportive of all forms of reproductive rights and still deny validity to this silly, convoluted ordance. Several sensible aldermen turned it down on the premise it was  illegal, impossible to carry out,  and just plain goofy.

But in Aldermanic circus of St. louis, it is important to shout loudly about "rights" and such, to mimic the national temperature. I guess they think it makes them appear to be doing  something against Trump! This is an election year for them.

My next political action today will be to email my own alderman to chide him for voting for this albatross.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #481 on: February 12, 2017, 06:34:12 PM »
Swing Left National Campaign Kickoff Call happening in 30 minutes: https://www.webcaster4.com/Webcast/Page/1632/19781

"The campaign to win back the House in 2018 starts NOW. Join our kickoff call to hear our plan and find out how to get started—no matter where you live. Enter your information to register for the call, and you’ll receive a confirmation email with a link to join the call on Sunday."

I will not be calling in. If anyone does, please take notes and share!

Awesome, Poundwise! Next time get photos and videos. :)

I went to a planning session for NYC Indivisible today and volunteered for a few things:

The Media Relations team
The Voter Outreach team (I will be a liaison to a red district in our state)
The Feb 22 Town Hall

That last one is gonna be crazy. We're trying to find a venue that holds 1,000+ people, coordinate branding, speakers, security, A/V, media outreach, etc. In ONE WEEK. Whew.

Please contact me if you:

Have experience coordinating town halls or other large events and can give us some advice
Know the people who organized the Chaffetz town hall in Utah
Know of a venue in NYC (Manhattan ideal, Brooklyn okay) that can hold 1,000+ people

Thank you!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 06:49:03 PM by MonkeyJenga »

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #482 on: February 13, 2017, 01:05:10 AM »
The Feb 22 Town Hall

That last one is gonna be crazy. We're trying to find a venue that holds 1,000+ people, coordinate branding, speakers, security, A/V, media outreach, etc. In ONE WEEK. Whew.

Please contact me if you:

Have experience coordinating town halls or other large events and can give us some advice
Know the people who organized the Chaffetz town hall in Utah
Know of a venue in NYC (Manhattan ideal, Brooklyn okay) that can hold 1,000+ people

Thank you!
That's spectacular. Good luck!
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #483 on: February 13, 2017, 09:25:00 PM »
Thanks Metric Mouse!

BREAKING NEWS: Michael Flynn resigned.

Action item: I guess... call your senators and thank them for putting pressure? Or tell them they should have put pressure? I don't know. There will hopefully be a call script tomorrow in one of these places:

https://thesixtyfive.org/home
https://www.indivisibleguide.com/resources-2/2017/2/6/scripts

Okay, let's go with: Keep investigating Trump's ties with Russia. Keep (or start) putting pressure. Yeah. Do that.

jrhampt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #484 on: February 14, 2017, 05:32:39 AM »
Thanks Metric Mouse!

Action item: I guess... call your senators and thank them for putting pressure? Or tell them they should have put pressure? I don't know. There will hopefully be a call script tomorrow in one of these places:

Okay, let's go with: Keep investigating Trump's ties with Russia. Keep (or start) putting pressure. Yeah. Do that.

Yes, I'll be calling my representative today about this.

meerkat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #485 on: February 14, 2017, 05:57:17 AM »
I just wanted to say thank you for pointing me in the direction of Indivisible. I don't really go to the Facebook page much but I'm liking their daily emails because they're a lot easier to digest than attempting to watch the news and figure it out for myself. I also really like that mine has state and local issues as well.
meer journal for a meerkat

Will this matter in ten years?

Unique User

• Bristles
« Reply #486 on: February 14, 2017, 06:46:15 AM »
Thanks Metric Mouse!

Yes, I'll be calling my representative today about this.

Same here.  This is ridiculous.  This goes far beyond Benghazi and if there was a Democrat in the White House, a bipartisan investigation would already be underway amid cries of treason and yelling about the National Security lapses of the last week.  Sadly, the GOP is silent on all of it. 

CanuckExpat

• Handlebar Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #487 on: February 14, 2017, 08:19:53 PM »
I just wanted to say thank you for pointing me in the direction of Indivisible. I don't really go to the Facebook page

Anyone can also check for a local meetup group if it is more your style: https://www.meetup.com/pro/resist/
Was targetting Freedom35 but ended up retiring a couple years early. Currently Based in Buffalo for the summer.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #488 on: February 15, 2017, 05:38:54 AM »
Small Action: Wednesday Feb 15

Tom Price's seat in Georgia's sixth district is open. Today's action is to sign up to help flip that seat blue.

And as always, remember to share this with your own networks. Even if you think nobody will care. I shared similar info about Delaware's special election on Facebook and a guy I met once thanked me. Turns out he's from Delaware, so he donated and told all his friends to vote.

Sign up: http://dailykos.com/story/2017/02/11/1632687/-Here-s-how-you-can-volunteer-to-help-Jon-Ossoff-win-the-special-election-for-Tom-Price-s-House-seat

Background on why this is important: http://www.nationalmemo.com/its-time-to-grab-the-gop-by-tom-prices-seat/

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
« Reply #489 on: February 15, 2017, 11:50:07 AM »
I called Cory Gardner's office today and a staffer called me back! I pushed on 3 issues:

- someone who has repeated labor and immigration violations against them should not be the Labor Secretary unless the goal is to dismantle all the protections that department provides

- when are we getting a town hall (no answer on this) and why does Sen Gardner keep dismissing us as paid out of state protesters? Staffer directed me to an interview on Channel 7 last night where the senator addressed this and supposedly acknowledged that lots of us are legit. I asked him if the senator apologized, he said he did not (I watched the interview afterwards, Senator lied about how Trump administration has the biggest delay in confirmations since George Washington. Sigh.)

- I asked Sen Gardner's position on investigating the administration's ties to Russia, and why so few in Republican leadership seem willing to participate. Staffer told me there are investigations going on all over Washington, I countered with the statements from Chaffetz and Ryan that it didn't make sense for Republicans to investigate their own side. He claimed to be unaware of these statements and said that he didn't know the Senator's position. I said that it is absolutely unacceptable for the Sen to be silent on this wildly important issue

Interesting that I got a personal call back, but I wasn't at all impressed with the content of the answers. I shared this with the staffer as well.

Also, someone tried to schedule a work call for Monday when we are supposed to have the day off. I declined and asked for it to be rescheduled. *Very* small act of resistance against corporate rule but no one else in my company seems to even push back a little.

Unique User

• Bristles
« Reply #490 on: February 15, 2017, 02:45:34 PM »
If you are in Florida - Trump tweeted this a few hours ago.  Seems like a good opportunity to have a protest that might or might not get mistaken for supporters. 

Join me in Florida this Saturday at 5pm for a rally at the Orlando-Melbourne International Airport!
Tickets: http://bit.ly/2lQarqaFLORIDA

ETA - Tickets are free. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 04:01:47 PM by Unique User »

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #491 on: February 15, 2017, 04:33:16 PM »
Madgey: for local Indivisible guide on handling missing members of Congress: https://www.indivisibleguide.com/resources-2/2017/2/12/missing-members-of-congress-action-plan

Puzder withdrew from consideration as labor secretary!

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
« Reply #492 on: February 15, 2017, 04:56:29 PM »
Madgey: for local Indivisible guide on handling missing members of Congress: https://www.indivisibleguide.com/resources-2/2017/2/12/missing-members-of-congress-action-plan

Puzder withdrew from consideration as labor secretary!

He's such a missing person that our group is hosting a Town Hall for him, the event is called "With or Without You." 😂 A bunch of people are going down to his office to present a huge invitation with media attention (hopefully). I love my local Indivisible group so much!

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #493 on: February 15, 2017, 07:32:38 PM »
I went to my rep's Townhall meeting this weekend. I mostly sat quietly and listened but took a moment to thank my representative and the ACLU for their efforts on the behalf of refugees.

If I go to another townhall meeting with a rep or senator I will be sure to wear a bra without underwires. I kept setting off the metal detector and having to go back through the machine. Also they searched my purse so next time I will carry a smaller purse or no purse to avoid this hassle. (The men walked right in after a quick metal detector trip.) In the future I will wear my airport security garb to speed my way to my seat.

(Couldn't one of you here have mentioned proper clothing for townhalls? I had no idea they were so high security.)

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #494 on: February 15, 2017, 09:42:05 PM »
https://medium.com/join-scout/the-rise-of-the-weaponized-ai-propaganda-machine-86dac61668b

My latest act of political resistance was to like stuff I actually dislike on FB - to confuse the bots. You know,  Nascar, military gun ammo, etc. I couldn't bring myself to like MRA / red pill stuff tho. Just couldn't do it.
Last one to panic wins!

My Rohingya Refugee Charity (now Tax Exempt!)

I'm an enemy of POTUS, VPOTUS, and the privately funded political system that inflicted them upon us.

DeepEllumStache

• Handlebar Stache
  • Formerly of the Deep Ellum Variety
« Reply #495 on: February 17, 2017, 06:00:13 AM »
If you'd like to fill out an impressively biased survey on media bias sent out by the Trump camp:

Welcome to the Media Accountability Survey
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 06:02:46 AM by DeepEllumStache »
And a journal because I #REF occasionally

Tasty Pinecones

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #496 on: February 17, 2017, 10:09:01 AM »

And - all of the Ivanka Trump goods I've seen were made in China. I don't see how Trump can preach about American jobs and Chinese competition while he and his family are having their products manufactured in China!

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #497 on: February 18, 2017, 06:19:14 AM »
If you'd like to fill out an impressively biased survey on media bias sent out by the Trump camp:

Welcome to the Media Accountability Survey

Please DO NOT TAKE THIS SURVEY and similar ones that will pop up in the future. Their only purpose is to build their email list, which they can sell down the road.

http://www.avclub.com/article/second-thought-maybe-stop-taking-donald-trumps-med-250586?

Unique User

• Bristles
« Reply #498 on: February 18, 2017, 07:12:07 AM »
A small group from the Indivisible group Pooperman started is meeting with an aide to our Congressman on Wednesday.  Congressman refuses to meet with anyone and won't hold a town hall.  Our first question will be when is he going to have town halls again.  I spoke with a reporter at the Raleigh news paper about the issue of our absent Congressman.  Story ran today and I didn't get misquoted!

iris lily

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #499 on: February 18, 2017, 07:29:25 AM »
A small group from the Indivisible group Pooperman started is meeting with an aide to our Congressman on Wednesday.  Congressman refuses to meet with anyone and won't hold a town hall.  Our first question will be when is he going to have town halls again.  I spoke with a reporter at the Raleigh news paper about the issue of our absent Congressman.  Story ran today and I didn't get misquoted!
Good for you!
Edited to make sens, I really did NOT mean "goof for you." Doh.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 11:01:18 AM by iris lily »