Author Topic: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance - VICTORY!  (Read 290827 times)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
Re: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance
« Reply #1000 on: July 01, 2018, 01:23:46 PM »
@Physicsteacher Indivisible has laid out a strategy for holding the line on the Supreme Court here. Bottom line: call you Senators and do whatever you can to help flip the Senate this fall.

At the state level, you need reasonable legislators who respect women. I'm sure MJ can help you more specifically, but can you get involved in the election cycle in your local district?

Dems are unlikely to flip the Senate.  In fact, they may lose one or more seats in MO, WV, ND, IN.  Even if they were to regain the Senate, it would be too late to influence the Supreme Court nominee to replace Kennedy.  This will be done by September.

If you do not wish to propose specific actions to resist this proposed legislation, please take this conversation to the political discussion thread.

What legislation?  Discussion involved upcoming Senate elections and Supreme Court nominations.

See reply #1016 in this thread.

Is the thread now limited to the legislation mentioned in that post?  If so, the title would appear to be inaccurate.  If you want a left-wing only forum, I guess that's OK but that should be made clear in the title.

This thread is about specific actions of political resistance. Please take your political discussion over to the discussion thread.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/small-daily-acts-of-political-discussion/

I'm resisting the Democrats attempts to retake the Senate and delay the Supreme Court nomination of Kennedy's replacement.  Is that not political resistance?

This thread is specifically about action. If you want to post a particular action you have taken in that respect, have at it.

Otherwise, go to the other thread.

EDIT: Please see the next post. Monkeyjenga, as the OP, makes the rules in this thread.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 01:32:16 PM by Kris »

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1001 on: July 01, 2018, 01:30:29 PM »
I have updated the first post to specify that this thread is for actions that oppose the current administration. craimund, you are welcome to create a new thread for pro-Trump/Republican actions.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1002 on: July 01, 2018, 03:51:10 PM »
I sent a letter to the editor of a publication to ask them to be better about how they are covering domestic violence, citing a recent problematic puff piece they put out.

MJ - I can remove this if you feel this is too off topic, just lmk. Not about the current US administration, but pushing back on the social crap that came along with it.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1003 on: July 02, 2018, 08:06:40 AM »
I took action by signing up as a volunteer for Run For Something.

My next action will be to participate in one of the volunteer orientation calls so I can further take action with the company.

Routed charitable donations these past couple months to the ACLU, an organization working to reunited families separated at the border, and a local workers rights organization.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1004 on: July 02, 2018, 07:58:44 PM »
Now that Justice Kennedy is retiring Republicans in Arkansas's state legislature are proposing a ban on abortions with no exception for rape. I am horrified.  What actions should I take? So far I'm beginning to consider moving and talking to my gynecologic-oncologist about removing my uterus and remaining ovary, but that certainly doesn't improve the situation for anyone else.
You mean, removing those organs to prevent an untenable pregnancy? That certainly seems drastic.  There are less harmful-to-your-health medical procedures for that. But perhaps you want to throw the bloody organs at Amy Barrett? I guess that would be good resistance theater.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 09:09:25 PM by iris lily »

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1005 on: July 02, 2018, 10:08:17 PM »
LOL iris lily, always the entertainer. You'd be a great old school "zap" activist.

I signed up to volunteer for Jen Wexton's campaign, to help flip Barbara Comstock's district.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1006 on: July 03, 2018, 05:06:43 AM »
Summer of resistance. Incredibly busy. In the past month,
- attended two popup vigils for the stolen children
- met up with two sets of friends at local rally on Saturday.  Record numbers showed up!
- recruited 5 new friends to resistance group
- wrote postcards to 8 swing Senators requesting that they delay confirmation of SC justice until conclusion of Mueller investigation because of conflict of interest
- wrote 22 postcards to voters in other states reminding them to vote in upcoming special elections
- planning phone calls to voters in states with swing senators asking them to call about SC justice

And not resistance but in support of stolen kids
- assembled care packages for immigrant children being held in my state
- gave money to pro bono legal organizations supporting immigrant organizations
- found speakers of native central American languages to translate for detained immigrants at border. Some of the detainees and separated children speak no English or Spanish

Incredibly upset about the whole situation.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #1007 on: July 03, 2018, 06:18:39 PM »
Update to this story which was apparently aired 2 days after the Trump "No family seperation" policy..

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/what-asylum-seekers-meet-when-they-try-to-cross-legally

The family was split up and the guardian (grand parent) was separated from her 3 year old Granddaughter and has been for ten days.

Nice people.

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
« Reply #1008 on: July 12, 2018, 07:49:59 AM »
I'm in Scotland, and will be attending tomorrow's anti-Trump march in Glasgow.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1009 on: July 12, 2018, 10:04:02 AM »
Thanks, @Nickyd£g !! Please know that so many of us here in the States are working against this guy too. In other words, don't hate us and please don't think that jackass represents us!

For my part, I emailed Lisa Murkowski (<--I'm still a registered AK voter) to urge her not to confirm Trump's SCOTUS pick. Can anyone say conflict of interest? Now that she's gotten what she's been slavering over for year (ability to drill in ANWR) I'm not hopeful because she's falling more and more in party line (do they have dirt on every one of the Republicans?) but I appealed to whatever conscience she's got left.

I won't even bother with Dan Sullivan, that dirtbag. He'll vote with Trump and crow about how ethical he is.

I've also been trying to be even kinder than usual to random people. Because apparently being kind is a radical notion, and it's definitely a form of political resistance when there are forces actively trying to get us all to hate each other.

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
« Reply #1010 on: July 13, 2018, 06:07:04 AM »
Thanks, @Nickyd£g !! Please know that so many of us here in the States are working against this guy too. In other words, don't hate us and please don't think that jackass represents us!

For my part, I emailed Lisa Murkowski (<--I'm still a registered AK voter) to urge her not to confirm Trump's SCOTUS pick. Can anyone say conflict of interest? Now that she's gotten what she's been slavering over for year (ability to drill in ANWR) I'm not hopeful because she's falling more and more in party line (do they have dirt on every one of the Republicans?) but I appealed to whatever conscience she's got left.

I won't even bother with Dan Sullivan, that dirtbag. He'll vote with Trump and crow about how ethical he is.

I've also been trying to be even kinder than usual to random people. Because apparently being kind is a radical notion, and it's definitely a form of political resistance when there are forces actively trying to get us all to hate each other.

Hi SisterX, I have visited the US numerous times and loved it (though will not be visiting while Trump is in office) so I don't hate the people, however I admit I have been shocked at the level of support he has from people and the GOP. I think he is a danger to all of democracy, and feel disgusted that May is so desperately appeasing him because we need the US after we crash out of the EU with Brexit.

and yes, kindness does seem to be in short supply, however I'm with the they go low we get dirty camp when confronting evil! :)

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1011 on: July 13, 2018, 09:31:09 AM »
Hi SisterX, I have visited the US numerous times and loved it (though will not be visiting while Trump is in office) so I don't hate the people, however I admit I have been shocked at the level of support he has from people and the GOP. I think he is a danger to all of democracy, and feel disgusted that May is so desperately appeasing him because we need the US after we crash out of the EU with Brexit.

and yes, kindness does seem to be in short supply, however I'm with the they go low we get dirty camp when confronting evil! :)

I completely agree with that statement. :/ Keep up the good fight on your end and we'll work on ours. Hopefully things will come out all right.

And when I said I was being kind, I meant to the random people I meet. The workers speaking Spanish who came to deliver something to my office, service people, coworkers, etc. Circle of influence and all that.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1012 on: July 15, 2018, 04:02:34 PM »
I ended my vacation in London and attended the march/rally against Trump on Friday.  It was great to be a part of it!  There were a ton of people, as you all saw on the news.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1013 on: July 16, 2018, 09:40:50 AM »
aw man - I'm in the OC right now visiting family - family who think the current administration and the GOP in general are 'doing great things for our country.' I could have volunteered to help Harley Rouda unseat Dana Russiabacker.  Oh well, I'll just paypal him a few bucks.

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1014 on: July 16, 2018, 09:45:56 AM »
Talked with DH about where we want to put our political donations this cycle - we're thinking 4 races we care about (2 VA congressional races getting a little less media attention, one congressional race in IA, and one state house race in OK), and an extra donation to Swing Left's Immediate Impact Fund. Then we'll look again in late September for some 4th quarter donations and give some more, and see if we can canvass for one of those VA races!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1015 on: July 17, 2018, 10:57:47 AM »

EricL

« Reply #1016 on: July 24, 2018, 02:48:05 PM »
Rounds complete on personal pledge to donate $10k to various Democratic candidates. 

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1017 on: July 25, 2018, 06:43:18 PM »
Rounds complete on personal pledge to donate $10k to various Democratic candidates.

whoa - nice!

I'm doing $25 here, $25 there.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1018 on: July 27, 2018, 06:57:06 PM »
Emailed my reps at all levels of gov't to complain about the planned redistricting of Toronto's municipal government. I'm so angry about this.

(For everyone else, a primer: https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/feds-threaten-to-bypass-queen-s-park-accuse-ford-of-fostering-chaos-in-toronto-1.4030839)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1019 on: July 28, 2018, 06:45:59 AM »
Encouraged a friend to throw a postcard writing party. She bought the postcards, I bought the postage, we have a date and a list of people who said they would be willing to write cards. It's going to happen!

Getting our addresses through Postcards to Voters.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #1020 on: July 28, 2018, 12:08:16 PM »
I ended my vacation in London and attended the march/rally against Trump on Friday.  It was great to be a part of it!  There were a ton of people, as you all saw on the news.

Cool My Mum and Dad are still alive in the UK and they were spitting nails over Trump's attitude!

The funny thing is.. They voted FOR Brexit.. Umm yeah..:)

YoungGranny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1021 on: August 07, 2018, 07:28:43 AM »
Voted in my states primary today. Simple and easy but important nonetheless.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1022 on: August 07, 2018, 09:31:12 AM »
Thank you!  If only everyone would do this small task, we'd be in great shape!

To be fair, it's not a truly small task everywhere.  Except for the length of my ballot (which was something like 8 pages in my primary), my state makes it pretty easy.  But other states purposely make it hard and discourage voting.  I'm working with a group called Lawyers for Good Government and their Election Watch project to try to have trained legal review of actions proposed in any county in any state that would make voting less accessible.  It's just getting off the ground, and our pilot state will be OH.  Our hope is to stop bad legislation or the shutting down of precincts in places predominantly populated by POC or lower socioeconomic levels before it happens.

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1023 on: August 08, 2018, 01:05:11 PM »

To be fair, it's not a truly small task everywhere.  Except for the length of my ballot (which was something like 8 pages in my primary), my state makes it pretty easy.  But other states purposely make it hard and discourage voting.  I'm working with a group called Lawyers for Good Government and their Election Watch project to try to have trained legal review of actions proposed in any county in any state that would make voting less accessible.  It's just getting off the ground, and our pilot state will be OH.  Our hope is to stop bad legislation or the shutting down of precincts in places predominantly populated by POC or lower socioeconomic levels before it happens.

You mean like requiring a state-issued ID to vote, or something else?

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1024 on: August 08, 2018, 02:05:30 PM »

Although I think I should end it there, before this gets too far afield from the thread purpose.

You mean like requiring a state-issued ID to vote, or something else?

Could be, it depends on the specific nature of the legislation.  But voter ID laws certainly need to be evaluated, and not *after* they are already made into law.  But there are many other examples - like I mentioned, shutting down polling places - or eliminating or restricting early voting, restricting registration, etc.  One piece of legislation I saw was a resolution that a particular county wanted people to be allowed to vote *on the congressional candidate specifically* only if they could prove they paid more in federal taxes than they received in federal benefits.  The resolution was just a statement of principle, and it was later resoundingly repudiated, but it's absolutely shocking what some counties out there are attempting to do.

Although I guess I should leave it there since this is getting afield from the purpose of the thread.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 02:10:04 PM by sui generis »

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1026 on: August 18, 2018, 11:39:48 AM »
Massachusetts now has automatic voter registration if you have a driver's license or have applied for MassHealth, and are an adult U.S. citizen, unless you opt out.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1027 on: August 25, 2018, 09:06:26 PM »
I have conversations occasionally with Trump voters, and these are people that I don't think have fully thought through how such a vote can affect them personally.
One guy who voted for Trump now has regrets and thinks Trump is doing badly, although he seems oddly concerned that Trump is being attacked by the Democrats.
I explained to him it's ok for anyone including Democrats to criticize Trump's choices. I encouraged him to vote Democrat in the mid-term elections, and he said he probably just won't bother to vote at all.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1028 on: August 26, 2018, 01:56:18 PM »
Well done, DavidAnnArbor.

I started a crowd-fund campaign to hire a lobbyist in DC to convince our representatives to end federal subsidies of animal agriculture.

https://www.lobbyists4good.org/animal-ag-subsidies

tl;dr : Animal agriculture is a leading cause of greenhouse gas emissions and pollution. Factory farming is an abomination. Americans are eating 2x more meat and 3x more dairy vs 100 years ago, and it's making us sick. Our tax dollars should not be funding this industry.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1029 on: August 26, 2018, 11:06:53 PM »
Well done, DavidAnnArbor.

I started a crowd-fund campaign to hire a lobbyist in DC to convince our representatives to end federal subsidies of animal agriculture.

https://www.lobbyists4good.org/animal-ag-subsidies

tl;dr : Animal agriculture is a leading cause of greenhouse gas emissions and pollution. Factory farming is an abomination. Americans are eating 2x more meat and 3x more dairy vs 100 years ago, and it's making us sick. Our tax dollars should not be funding this industry.

Sorry this isn't necessarily an action to end the Trump administration. It's more toward opposing the system. The people who receive farm bill subsidies turn around and put that $ into political campaigns. It has to end.

So if you want me to delete this post I can MJ, lemme know.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1030 on: August 28, 2018, 04:57:06 PM »
Small act that was technically the other day since it was a mail in ballot - I voted in the local election. It would also have been the primary election for my state but it has closed primaries and I'm currently NPA (no party affiliation). I voted for a couple school board members and a couple of judges. The judges aren't supposed to advocate for any particular causes or laws, but you can tell from their resumes which ones are more likely to be friendly (or unfriendly) to minorities, women, the poor, etc.

Next up - November!

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1031 on: August 29, 2018, 11:21:30 AM »
The Florida governor's race is going to be a big deal. Just donated to Andrew Gillum's campaign. I also updated my address so I can vote in the general election in my new town.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1032 on: August 29, 2018, 02:18:30 PM »
Yes it is. Trying to figure out how best to help him. DeSantis gave him a boost this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1033 on: August 29, 2018, 02:54:56 PM »
I am helping in FL from afar! Yay everyone.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1034 on: August 29, 2018, 05:50:47 PM »
http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/will_bunch/pnc-bank-quaker-environmentalists-earth-quaker-action-team-20180814.html

How a small group of Quakers are making change happen.

Thanks for posting.  I grew up in the Phila. area and it's good to see the Quakers still have a core group of energized activists.  I like their realization that one thing that companies can't stand is to see their brand "tarnished."
(as Papa Johns Pizza well knows....!)   Public shaming is an under-rated tactic, IMO, but according to this article a persistent and focused effort can make a big splash. 

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1035 on: August 29, 2018, 07:10:12 PM »
I am helping in FL from afar! Yay everyone.

Well, if you want to get closer, there’s always a place for you here.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1036 on: September 05, 2018, 04:29:19 PM »
Agreed (along with MrInCO) to attend a training for our preferred gov candidate. They've agreed that we can do get-out-the-vote and oppose-the-moronic-negative-campaigning organizing in our neighborhood, and those very nearby.

It's not the most useful (well, the second part may be -- I don't watch TV (ever) or answer the phone during this season, so I don't know how effective the negative campaigning from the sleezy other guy looks) but we're crazy busy with other stuff right now, so this is what we CAN do. (Plus, it's an excuse to go walk the neighborhoods after dinner and re-connect with our neighbors.)

(I mean it's potentially less useful then trying to campaign in other neighborhoods, but  ... we can barely add this one more thing now as it is.)

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1037 on: September 06, 2018, 07:59:17 AM »
https://themarshallproject.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a92567c13cca06b470824aead&id=beff65be1c&e=e009ce48a5

Brett Kavanaugh stumbles from Sen. Kamala Harris line of questioning about Mueller investigation.
Protestors get arrested.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1038 on: September 06, 2018, 01:00:47 PM »
Signed up with the NAACP and county Democratic party to drive voters - their choice of days for early voting days or  election day. 

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1039 on: September 06, 2018, 07:13:07 PM »
My partner and I give monthly to Planned Parenthood, American Civil Liberties Union, and Southern Poverty Law Center.

From time to time we give extra, like recently to Either Sen. Collins VOTES NO on Kavanaugh OR we fund her future opponent. Also, my partner and daughter are canvasing for Carolyn Long in an attempt to flip the WA 3rd congressional district.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1040 on: September 23, 2018, 06:21:13 AM »
Gave to the Puerto Rican Voter Project and Mi Familia Vota, to promote civic engagement and voter registration among Puerto Ricans on the mainland.  Deadline to register to vote in FL is October 9, I believe!
https://movement.vote/puertorico/
https://www.mifamiliavota.org/donate/

(edited to give more direct links to relevant programs)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 06:30:16 AM by Poundwise »

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1041 on: September 29, 2018, 05:05:44 PM »

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1042 on: October 02, 2018, 12:05:07 PM »
I poked family in Maine, and friends & family in Alaska, to contact Collins & Murkowski to vote no on Kavanaugh.

The FB comments on Murkowski's page make me sick. "I was raped at 14 and I just don't believe that lying bitch who's only trying to take down a great man. Vote YES because Kavanaugh will save the GOP!" (Not an actual comment, but the sentiment is there.)

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1043 on: October 03, 2018, 04:51:23 AM »
I emailed my state level rep applauding his recent vote on a bill that ended up passing and is awesome.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1044 on: October 05, 2018, 09:27:56 PM »
Donated $100 to swing left and $50 to my gubernatorial candidate who is in a toss up race.

Will look at donating to Heitkamp, Rosen, McCaskill, and O'Rourke after next paycheck.

Have been doing some text-banking with red2blue as well.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1045 on: October 06, 2018, 01:55:54 PM »
I've been conversing with various people about the importance of voting.
I sent out a message on nextdoor.com - my local area one, and typed up a post about how easy it is to do an absentee ballot, how to download the application, print it out, scan it and send it in via email in order to get the paper ballot mailed to the home.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1046 on: October 08, 2018, 04:48:55 AM »
Been writing 20 postcards a day to infrequent voters, reminding them to vote for their Congressional candidate. Also have been distributing packets of cards to my friends to write.

I tried doorknocking the other day.  It was actually a very positive experience! Almost everybody who was home had not heard about the candidate, but was happy to learn. They were startled to learn that there are more registered Democrats than Republicans in the district (the part I have canvassed has been GOP for decades; there were big aggressive GOP signs everywhere and no Dem signs).  I told them to tell all their friends. 

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 04:59:41 AM by Poundwise »

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1047 on: October 08, 2018, 08:20:08 AM »
Been writing 20 postcards a day to infrequent voters, reminding them to vote for their Congressional candidate. Also have been distributing packets of cards to my friends to write.

I tried doorknocking the other day.  It was actually a very positive experience! Almost everybody who was home had not heard about the candidate, but was happy to learn. They were startled to learn that there are more registered Democrats than Republicans in the district (the part I have canvassed has been GOP for decades; there were big aggressive GOP signs everywhere and no Dem signs).  I told them to tell all their friends.

awesome! Thanks for getting out there!  And recruiting more postcard writers!

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #1048 on: October 08, 2018, 08:31:28 AM »
Phone banked for Beto (US Senate candidate in TX, close race, possible R to D flip).  Signed up for next 2 weekends.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1049 on: October 08, 2018, 08:31:54 AM »
One of the things I've been doing on the side (since my full time "job" at the moment is all elections all the time) is to text for Proposal 2 in MI which would end gerrymandering by establishing an independent citizens redistricting commission.  The texting is ok, but I am hearing they are doing well in the polls, so that's good! 

The interesting thing with this, as with voter registration texting I've been involved in over the last year, is that I often get replies like "No, I'm a Republican" or "No, I'm a Trump supporter."  Now, let's be clear that both of these types of texting are strictly non-partisan and we write these scripts as such, we train our volunteers to be non-partisan (we suggest that volunteers wanting to do partisan work participate in other efforts) and we QC all our vols as they are texting to be sure we stick to the non-partisan nature (as well as other QC elements like data gathering).  So everything is very strictly non-partisan.  And not only through my own texting but through talking with other texters about and QCing hundreds of thousands of texts, I have never seen anyone respond to our invitation to support an independent citizens redistricting commission or to participate in registering/reviewing voter registration with "No, I'm a liberal/progressive" or "No, I'm a Bernie/Hillary supporter".  Last week I had one even more explicit: "I'm in favor of gerrymandering if it benefits Republicans."

Republicans know that ending gerrymandering and getting more citizens registered and voting is not in their favor.  I mean, not just the "Republican party," but the average conservative guy on the street.  The Republican strategy, in the bigger picture, depends on minimizing the power of the polity, since, if we could turn out in the same ratios as them, we'd win much more.  This is both depressing and optimistic.  So, yeah, non-partisan work is also one of my small ways to help the Resistance.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 01:31:55 PM by sui generis »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!