Author Topic: Secret sign for Mustachians  (Read 10601 times)

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
Secret sign for Mustachians
« on: November 02, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »
Have you ever encountered someone when you were out and about and thought "I wonder if they follow the way of MMM?"  What if we had some kind of a secret sign?  I was thinking it would be kind of neat if we did, and when I was watching The Big Bang Theory on tv the other night, the character named Amy had one that I think would be perfect.  You can see it here:  http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/09/30/big-bang-theory-s5-ep3-amy-farrah-fowler/

NWstubble

• Stubble
Re: Secret sign for Mustachians
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 08:51:21 PM »
Indeed this does cross my mind time and again. I tend to be an observer if you will, and thus an avid people watcher. This often leads one to wonder what people's stories are and their background. Who is spending themselves into working until they are 75 and who is secretly counting down the days until checking out of the daily grind? A fun game to play; judging books by their covers, sure, but in a harmless sort of way.

Also, Will +1 for BBT. Another bonus point for the Emerson quote.
Solid work.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 10:07:19 PM »
Seeing as how our cities are neighbors, maybe you and I have seen each other!  You might have "watched" me (as I used to work in Portland).  Maybe I have seen you and thought "That might be a Mustachian." 

Hopefully if you did see me, you didn't think of me as a spender (that would be my partner!).  I don't have a date yet to count down to (still trying to get rid of the last vestiges of debt), but I know I don't want to wait until Social Security would kick in.  Maybe some day soon I will sit down and see if I can at least narrow it down to a year.

BBT was one of those few shows I watched since episode one.  My partner used to call it "that nerd show you love." 

Thanks for the other bonus point for the Emerson quote.  I was thinking it was one that MMM himself used in one of his blog posts, but he used a Thoreau quote that I use in my signature in a different financial forum.  It was neat to see it in the blog after I had been using it for a while.

Anyhow, if you ever see someone in Portland or Vancouver hold an index finger horizontally under his nose, it just might be me.  ;)

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 01:45:20 AM »
A secret email signature wouldn't go amiss either.

Maybe we all sign off with :-{

frugalcalan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 09:10:10 AM »
One of my coworkers is a mustachian!  I'll probably make a separate thread about how awesome it is.  But here is how we recognized each other:

We were eating alone in the kitchen table area.  She works in another department, but it's a small company, and her desk is pretty near mine.  She's the only other person at work who bike commutes, and she's got a side hussle (teaching fitness classes). 

She had a salad from a nearby restaurant (usually she makes her own spinach salads during lunch), and I was eating a healthy packed lunch.  She commented on how my lunch looked delicious; I commented on how hers looked delicious as well.  She stated that she was unhappy with the price, and stated the after tax price to the penny (I feel that most people don't pay attention to how much they spend on food).  I agreed that it was over priced; I said that my lunches cost under $15 for the week, and that I liked keeping track because personal finance was a bit of a hobby of mine.

And that's when she asked if I read the MMM blog.  And I was like, YES!  We talked quietly a bit about how generally excessively lavish our coworkers are.  It was like finding someone else in the matrix who also knows that it's all virtual reality.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 12:57:26 AM »
Nice one.

I'm sure I spotted a www.mrmoneymustache.com in a co-workers web history when we had a meeting in his office. A small grin appeared on my face, but I left it at that.

jdchmiel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 07:01:36 PM »
I wish I had a fellow Mustachian coworker or friend :(

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 07:31:16 PM »
you might... it's insane how widely and quickly MMM's philosophies seem to be traveling! I am just waiting for my own "mustachian meeting in the wild" story.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 07:33:46 PM »

Introduce them to mrmoneymustache.com
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

swiper

• Bristles
  • swiping
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 08:13:13 PM »

Introduce them to mrmoneymustache.com

hehe i have been doing just that ... it has turned into a "thing" now, where I get asked what MMM would do

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 08:29:03 PM »

That's a great idea!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 08:34:36 PM »

That's a great idea!

That looks so sad to me.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 09:51:33 PM »

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 02:18:53 PM »
Unicode to the rescue?

This is great but I can't get it to work in windows.  The command is Alt +9AED, but Alt and E opens up a right click...

It is also pretty hard to see when it's at normal font.  I think this is definitely going down a good path though.

FitStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 10:46:17 PM »
Maybe we could design a MMM sticker to put on our bikes, lol.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 02:01:51 AM »

That's a great idea!

That looks so sad to me.

:{)

jpo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 08:22:06 AM »

marz1982

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 05:34:58 PM »
hehe i have been doing just that ... it has turned into a "thing" now, where I get asked what MMM would do

LOL, I pretty much asked myself that a few days ago, probably while considering an unnecessary purchase.  Need a sticker for that, maybe a bit more general than Mr MMM himself - "What would a Mustachian do?".  Or how about a sticker declaring "Not a fancy-pants!"

JamesL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 07:45:56 PM »
This reminds me of the Chive.. We need to make some t-shirts and bumper stickers. But they need to be free 'cause we're all really frugal haha.

Oh and I've forwarded this website to coworkers before. They don't seem too interested but I did convince one on the importance of retirement. She's 28 and our company will match up to 7% in a Roth or 403b pre tax.. She hasn't been doing it.. Needless to say now she's putting in 10%. People just don't seem to realize the importance of saving. Some people are in their own little bubble of spend spend spend. I don't get Starbucks.. At all. It confuses the crap out of me how people would spend that money every day.. I get going to a quaint little coffee shop to buy a coffee, read the newspaper and watch people pass by, like out of a French movie. But starbucks is like a mcDonalds of coffee.. You get in a line, get your coffee, and leave. *Shakes head* lol. Although I'm sure I have some starbucks coffee in my portfolio somewhere so I guess I need them to go there o.O

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2013, 02:08:02 PM »
I've always been relatively frugal but was introduced to MMM by a coworker a few months ago. I have since introduced my gf and a spendy friend to MMM. Both him and his wife are totally into it. I feel like I'm starting my own sect of a cult :)

psu256

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 11:26:40 AM »

I found out about MMM overhearing two coworkers talk about it in the hallway. I haven't let them know I was eavesdropping on their conversation but I wonder if they post here on the forums at all :)

cdub

• Stubble
    • Mortgage Payoff Club
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2013, 11:58:17 AM »
I think is should be a simple mustache decal or sticker.

But then people could be confused you mean this:

It would have to be a mustache with MMM next to it so no one gets any funny ideas. :)

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2013, 02:28:03 PM »
I always liked the Flying Spaghetti Moster (Jesus Fish knock-off) emblems on the back of peoples cars. Maybe we could get someone to design something along those lines.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2013, 02:52:37 PM »
I always liked the Flying Spaghetti Moster (Jesus Fish knock-off) emblems on the back of peoples cars. Maybe we could get someone to design something along those lines.

I see cars with pink mustaches in San Francisco all the time.  Guess what I think of.

http://blog.sfgate.com/techchron/2012/08/31/lyft/

We need bike mustaches.

The knitter

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2013, 02:57:16 PM »

LOL, I pretty much asked myself that a few days ago, probably while considering an unnecessary purchase.  Need a sticker for that, maybe a bit more general than Mr MMM himself - "What would a Mustachian do?".  Or how about a sticker declaring "Not a fancy-pants!"

Oooooh, I like the "Not a fancy-pants" one.

Scottfree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2017, 02:56:00 PM »
How about the top hat logo with the mustache as the sticker. Just the logo or maybe putt MMM underneath

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2017, 07:37:55 PM »
I wish I knew more mustachians in real life...

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2017, 10:06:01 AM »
A horizontal finger under the nose?  If the other person gives you a weird look, just say you have to sneeze.

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2017, 10:40:50 AM »
A horizontal finger under the nose?  If the other person gives you a weird look, just say you have to sneeze.

I like it!

I like this too for emails.        :-{)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!