Author Topic: Seattleites: Cheap/intersesting place to stay 8/22 & 8/23  (Read 2277 times)

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
Seattleites: Cheap/intersesting place to stay 8/22 & 8/23
« on: August 14, 2016, 02:48:32 PM »
I had asked earlier about walking to the ferry from the light rail station when I come into Seattle to go visit friends in Canada.  I appreciated the recommendations, and I do plan to walk from the light rail station to the ferry dock.  Now I'm looking at the other end of the trip.  I will come back on the ferry into Seattle on either Monday or Tuesday, Aug 22, 23, and I fly out of SeaTac on the 24th.  I can rent a car and plan to sleep in it someplace, probably over around Port Angeles, I can drive down towards Lacey where I used to live a few years ago, or...  what?  I've thought about looking for a hostel in Seattle.  I've thought about getting a cheap(er) hotel/motel, but that seems just too normal.  Interesting is more what I'm looking for than money saved, but I just want to see what those from the area, or those who have done this before, might suggest.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
Re: Seattleites: Cheap/intersesting place to stay 8/22 & 8/23
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 10:55:18 AM »
Likely not cheap, but definitely interesting:
http://www.treehousepoint.com/lodging.phtml

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 12:53:29 PM »
My vote:  http://www.panamahotelseattle.com/history.htm

This is the Panama Hotel - it is one of five National Treasures listed by the National Historic Trust.  This is because of its history and with the forced evacuation of the Japanese during WWII local Japanese left many belongings here for safe keeping.  Only recently have they started cataloging this information. 

See this trailer:  http://panamahotelfilm.com/

In the downstairs tea room there is a window in the floor where you can see some of the left items in the basement.  For about $100 a night you are not going to find cheaper in downtown.  Bathrooms down the hall if you don't mind that - I think it includes breakfast.

This is in the International District - so still walkable from the ferry.  Lots of great cheap places to eat nearby.  This building is the inspiration for the book On the Corner of Bitter and Sweet.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 01:03:41 PM by Northwestie »

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 10:27:30 PM »
There are a few hostels in downtown Seattle that might be worth checking out. Caveat: I haven't stayed at any of them, but they're at least quite conveniently located to both the clipper and metro transit. From what I've seen, the clientele skews toward the younger backpacking sort (not surprising). See, for instance:

http://greentortoise.net/
http://www.hostelseattle.com/

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 02:29:12 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I ended up making a reservation at the Green Tortoise hostel.  I'll review it here once I've stayed the night.  Since I get in at 10pm, location became the major selling point, with price falling well into the cheap at less than $40/night even after taxes.  I will get a bunk in an 8 bed co-ed dorm.  I plan to get up the next morning and start exploring, including a stop at the China Town/International area if I have time before the flight back.

The light rail is awesome!  I had no issues with it on the way in.  My luggage pack (with no wheels...) weighed too much to comfortably carry, but I did walk the entire way to the ferry, about .9 mile.  My friends here in Campbell River gave me a light weight luggage cart to use on the way back.

Any thoughts on how safe it will be to walk from the Clipper dock to the hostel at 10pm?  I'll keep the other recommendations on file for when I come back next time.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 09:08:35 PM »
I think the area right around the Clipper dock at the waterfront might be a bit dead around 10 pm. Likely quite safe, but I'd probably head straight up to 1st or 2nd Avenue to be in a more active area for the walk over, rather than walking along the waterfront.

ShortInSeattle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 11:31:56 AM »
I think the area right around the Clipper dock at the waterfront might be a bit dead around 10 pm. Likely quite safe, but I'd probably head straight up to 1st or 2nd Avenue to be in a more active area for the walk over, rather than walking along the waterfront.

+1 This is my neighborhood, I never feel unsafe at that hour, but 1st and 2nd are better lit with more people around.  While you're staying at the hostel, I recommend coffee at Fonte, a pieroshki or crumpet at Pike Place, and a (daylight or sunset) walk to Myrtle Edward park.

Have a great trip!

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 08:36:03 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations.  I'll head up to 1st and walk over from there.  Campbell River, BC has been awesome.

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 02:42:20 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I ended up making a reservation at the Green Tortoise hostel.  I'll review it here once I've stayed the night.  Since I get in at 10pm, location became the major selling point, with price falling well into the cheap at less than $40/night even after taxes.  I will get a bunk in an 8 bed co-ed dorm.  I plan to get up the next morning and start exploring, including a stop at the China Town/International area if I have time before the flight back.

The light rail is awesome!  I had no issues with it on the way in.  My luggage pack (with no wheels...) weighed too much to comfortably carry, but I did walk the entire way to the ferry, about .9 mile.  My friends here in Campbell River gave me a light weight luggage cart to use on the way back.

Any thoughts on how safe it will be to walk from the Clipper dock to the hostel at 10pm?  I'll keep the other recommendations on file for when I come back next time.

Heads up - while I never feel unsafe in Seattle, let's say that area is "up and coming".    It used to be much, much worse when I stated at the Tortise back in '82 on my way to Alaska.  But it still is part of a 8 block area of drug trade central.  Just mind your own business and you'll be fine. 

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 10:12:45 AM »
I ended up taking a taxi from the ferry to the hostel.  Good investment in my physical state, as I ended up with a heavy rolling duffle of clothes that my Canadian friend gave me.  The hostel is amazing!  Clean, friendly, I ended up in a 4 person room and really didn't even hear 2 of them until the next morning, and only in passing then.  I only saw women in my hall, so I think they do attempt to segregate based on gender.  The bathrooms were individual rooms with showers, so no one else was in the room while I was using it, one of my things I was willing to compromise on and then didn't need to.  Only downsides, there is a very steep and long set of stairs to get up to the hostel, which was challenging with the duffle.  The curtains on my lower bunk didn't come down to the mattress, leaving about an 8" gap.  I enjoyed the general sense of privacy, but wished the curtains went all the way down like the ones on the upper bunks did.  First world issues for sure.  So, for under $40 I had a nice night, a good breakfast and unlimited good Seattle coffee.  Win!

Thanks for all the responses.  I did feel I was in a better situation to make decisions based on the feedback here.  If anyone ever need info about the Phoenix area, or Arizona in general, I'm happy to help and do any research into things I don't already have knowledge about.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 05:16:38 PM »
Thanks for the follow-up. Glad your trip was a success!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!