Author Topic: RIP Anthony Bourdain  (Read 2093 times)

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
RIP Anthony Bourdain
« on: June 08, 2018, 02:50:22 PM »
We quit watching the show years ago when we concluded it was contributing to our weight gain, but there is no doubt it helped form our travel and culinary dreams.  Sad to see him go.

Anthony on learning to cook: “Basic cooking skills are a virtue... the ability to feed yourself and a few others with proficiency should be taught to every young man and woman as a fundamental skill. [It’s] as vital to growing up as learning to wipe one’s own ass, cross the street by oneself, or be trusted with money.”

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
Re: RIP Anthony Bourdain
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 02:57:25 PM »
I always sensed a the darkness in him, but I thought his joy of life in travel and sharing food and experiences with people would win out. I am very sad that he is gone, and sad for his family and friends.  Considering his straightforward salty language, and no holds barred statements on many things, I never would have picked him to be an ‘ambassador’ to Iran - but he curiousity and love of people and traditions and celebrations shone through. He respected genuine people.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 06:30:24 PM »
I'm always sad to hear that someone has died, but this one figuratively punched me in the gut this morning. I have so admired his work, curiosity, eloquence, and tremendous respect for people and cultures.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 06:48:27 PM »
So very sad. He was a true force of nature.

Also, this week, Kate Spade. While not someone who ever owned/would own her bags or eyewear, I appreciated her style and entrepreneurial success.

RIP both of them. It's so hard to imagine the despair and loneliness that leads one to suicide.

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 07:34:43 AM »
This is an important reminder to mustachians still in the accumulation phase.  Money isn't going to make you happy.  If you have issues, tackle them now.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 08:24:46 AM »
I was definitely bummed upon hearing the news. My friend introduced me to his writing way back when Kitchen Confidential came out, and I've respected him since.

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 11:04:23 AM »
Bourdain was the personality that made me really enjoy the cooking/travel show thing.  Sarcastic, ironic, honest and really enjoying himself most of the time (and not at all shy to point out when he wasn't).

People in all circumstances commit suicide, we've probably all lost someone that way.  I didn't expect Bourdain to be one of them.  It's a damn shame.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 12:22:38 PM »
Very, very sad that he couldn't overcome his demons.  I loved his shows and his writing.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 09:11:07 AM »
I feel really punched in the gut by this one and also Kate Spade's suicide earlier this week.  Both Spade and Bourdain had children just a bit older than my own and I can't hardly imagine the pain they must be in.  I loved Kitchen Confidential and Bourdain's shows and also his championing of the Me too movement and his girlfriend, Asia Argento, who was one of Harvey Weinstein's victims.