Author Topic: Requesting suggestions for a trip  (Read 2588 times)

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
Requesting suggestions for a trip
« on: June 29, 2018, 03:57:45 PM »
My husband and I rarely travel.  However, we want to take a trip either the last week of September or the third week in October.  We have NO IDEA where we want to go.  I am looking for suggestions based on the following information:

1. We live in the middle of the country (US) so any direction is fine.
2. Although my husband likes beaches, I hate the hot (and our last two vacations have been to Cozumel and Cancun so no sunny beaches or hot places - but someplace like the coast of Oregon would be fine).
3. We are willing to drive, take a train, fly or some combination to get there.
4.  We have 9 days but would probably like to have a day or two back home to recover before we go back to work.
5.  We like nature, but wouldn't be opposed to a city.  Or a combination of both.  I'd prefer national park-like places but don't want to limit to that.  We don't love crowds.
6. We don't need to stay in the same place the whole time, but we could.
7.  We are not fancy so we don't need a five star hotel, but I don't want to stay in a motel 6 either.  Ideally, we'd stay in a cottage or a bed and breakfast or some such.

8.  We both have valid passports so we can leave the country.
9.  Of no help in the giving of advice, we want to go somewhere neither of us has been before.

10.  I don't know how much we are willing to spend.  I'm thinking the $2,000 range but would go higher if the trip were someplace perfect. Since we rarely travel, we don't know anything about travel hacking.
11.  We like easy and simple, not complicated and hassles.

Whew!  We would appreciate any thoughts you might have on an excellent, easy vacation for us.  Thanks in advance!!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Requesting suggestions for a trip
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 04:17:46 PM »
A fall colors trip would be lovely - but it is hard to time this.

I recommend:
Flagstaff Arizona - close to Grand Canyon and Sedona. Also a university town, which kicks up the downtown and nighttime activities.
Alamosa Colorado - close to Great Sand Dunes, which is seriously fun (this could be a stop instead of the whole stay)
Rocky mountain National Park - you could stay in Estes Park or nearby
Gallup New Mexico
Santa Fe New Mexico - I think they have a Georgia O’Keefe museum
Chicago Illinois

Fi(re) on the Farm

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 04:26:16 PM »
We love the coast of northern California, you could fly into San Francisco and rent a car and drive up highway 1. There's tons of VRBO's and Airbnb's to choose and you'd be going off season. We live on the east coast and you can't beat Acadia National Park in Maine for access to the ocean and some amazing hiking. Vacation rentals are harder to come by there but so totally worth it.

doggyfizzle

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 04:44:44 PM »
Come out to Catalina Island off the coast of Southern California.  Fly into LAX and then take the ferry from San Pedro Harbor out to Avalon.  I'd recommend getting a condo rental at Hamilton Cove just outside of Avalon.  At that time of year, 1bed condos area rent for low season prices.  There is tons of hiking, great restaurants (with the option of cooking for yourself in the condo), plus good beaches without the heat.  And you get to travel everywhere by golf cart, which is really fun.  You get natural park beauty without the crowds for sure this time of year, and if you wanted to spend a day or two in LA doing some tourist stuff, you'd have time for that as well.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 06:37:19 PM »
VA/West VA, Maryland, DC, PA.  You could do city in Annapolis/DC for part of the time and travel up near Harper's Ferry, Into Shenandoah National Park, regional wine country.  I had a 3 week training course in the area and spent the weekends going to various battlefields.  The history was interesting but I was in it to hike around and be outside.

Cgbg

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 09:03:12 AM »
Consider Hornby Island. It’s on the left coast - in Canada. We rented a house on the edge of Tribune Bay beach - it’s a lovely warm white sand beach that doesn’t seem like it should exist in that part of the world. October would put you slightly out of tourist season so it would be quieter but not dead. The island is small but each road seems to lead to an amazing park. Nice artist community. We spent a week there and found something new each day.

It’s require you to drive from the mainland, so if you flew you’d need a rental car.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 09:06:59 AM »
My husband and I rarely travel.  However, we want to take a trip either the last week of September or the third week in October.  We have NO IDEA where we want to go.  I am looking for suggestions based on the following information:

1. We live in the middle of the country (US) so any direction is fine.
2. Although my husband likes beaches, I hate the hot (and our last two vacations have been to Cozumel and Cancun so no sunny beaches or hot places - but someplace like the coast of Oregon would be fine).
3. We are willing to drive, take a train, fly or some combination to get there.
4.  We have 9 days but would probably like to have a day or two back home to recover before we go back to work.
5.  We like nature, but wouldn't be opposed to a city.  Or a combination of both.  I'd prefer national park-like places but don't want to limit to that.  We don't love crowds.
6. We don't need to stay in the same place the whole time, but we could.
7.  We are not fancy so we don't need a five star hotel, but I don't want to stay in a motel 6 either.  Ideally, we'd stay in a cottage or a bed and breakfast or some such.

8.  We both have valid passports so we can leave the country.
9.  Of no help in the giving of advice, we want to go somewhere neither of us has been before.

10.  I don't know how much we are willing to spend.  I'm thinking the $2,000 range but would go higher if the trip were someplace perfect. Since we rarely travel, we don't know anything about travel hacking.
11.  We like easy and simple, not complicated and hassles.

Whew!  We would appreciate any thoughts you might have on an excellent, easy vacation for us.  Thanks in advance!!

How about a trip to New England to see the changing colors of the autumn  leaves?

The 3rd week in October seems like the right time.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 09:41:30 AM »
Look into Bandon or Depot Bay, Oregon. They're the quintessential calm beach town. Late September/October you'll likely get rain and cold nights, but that means *beautiful* seas, and little to no crowds. September will be more pleasant to visit than October, statistically. The winds can get to be a bit much by October.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 09:54:10 AM »
I suggest the Carolinas. October/November is off season. The weather should be temperate but definitely not hot at the beach. You could fly into Charlotte, NC which is a major hub, drive to Ashville, NC for some mountain air and a great arts and music scene and drive out to the coast for a few days. I personally would go to Charleston, SC and the beaches in that area, but there are tons of choices.

nick663

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 10:26:41 AM »
I love the Northern California cost between San Francisco and Big Sur.  One of the best drives in the country IMO.  Combine that with a trip to Yosemite and you should easily fill a week.  Only problem may be cost as hotels are expensive in that area so you'll have to watch your expenses there.

A little more local (depending where in the midwest you are at), the fall colors in northern Michigan are a great trip.  Combine it with some of the sights on the upper peninsula to fill out the week.

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 06:23:16 PM »
Thanks for all of these suggestions...I want to go to ALL of them.

I always want to know how things turn out so here is our plan.  My husband of 20 years tells me he loves museums...I've never heard this before.  Based on this piece of infomation, it was clear to me that we had to go to DC.  We have already made our schedule of museum visits and are really, really looking forward to it. 

But please don't feel your suggestions are wasted - I'm keeping this list for our NEXT vacation.

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 08:54:51 PM »
West Coast of Canada, like Vancouver, Whistler and Victoria/Vancouver Island/Tofino. The strong USD/CAD exchange rate will give you good bang for buck, that's a good time of year as it's still nice and not cold and doesn't have the crowds. Low season rates probably kick in around then too. Won't have crowds, lots of parks but nice cities too if you want that. Would really recommend it. If you like nature there's very few places better.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 08:30:18 AM »
For your next trip, if you're pretty open to going wherever, sign up for the mailing list at https://www.secretflying.com and keep an eye on the deals they offer. As long as you're flexible they have some awesome deals on flights, both within the US and internationally.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2018, 08:34:30 AM »
My husband of 20 years tells me he loves museums...I've never heard this before. 
Lol. I'm glad he finally shared this! You will have a great time in DC. Just bring comfortable shoes.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2018, 09:07:35 AM »

I always want to know how things turn out so here is our plan.  My husband of 20 years tells me he loves museums...I've never heard this before.  Based on this piece of infomation, it was clear to me that we had to go to DC.  We have already made our schedule of museum visits and are really, really looking forward to it. 

But please don't feel your suggestions are wasted - I'm keeping this list for our NEXT vacation.
Sounds like you have it figured out but here are my two cents - obviously hit up the amazing free ones but the Newseum ($) is great.  You receive a 2 day pass and there is a lot to see.

Also, Udvar-Hazy Air & Space (out by Dulles airport, IAD) has all the large vehicles that wouldn't fit onto the National Mall (space shuttle, Concorde, SR-71 Blackbird, etc.) - it's free as well but the parking lot there is not.  If you want to save $15, you can park at the Chick Fil A or Sully Highlands Park and walk it, it's just over a mile.

Library of Congress is underrated (and I'm not talking about peering into the carrels behind the glass, basically everything BESIDES that), Spy Museum is decent if you are into that, the Lincoln Assassination Walking Tour from Ford's Theater is GREAT.

Oh, and if the planes are flying in from the N/NW at Reagan Airport (DCA) (like coming from the Arlington, Georgetown direction), I recommend going to Gravelly Point as the sun is going down to watch a few of them.  It's right off the Mt. Vernon Trail just north of the airport.  There is a parking lot.  Don't stand on the trail though!  It's an active trail for many pedestrians and cyclists.

A simplistic sample 4 day itinerary:
Day A: best of the Nat'l Mall Smithsonians (for me this would be the big 3 of Air & Space, American History, and Natural History, that's a full day but consider American Indian, African American, Botanical Garden, Art, etc. as your preferences dictate)
Day B: Memorials (mainly Nat'l Mall + Arlington Cemetery, FDR is my personal fave, don't forget about Einstein, he's right across street from Vietnam Wall)
Day C: best of rest near Capitol (SCOTUS, LoC, Newseum, Archives, Postal Museum, etc.)
Day D: best of rest near Washington Monument (Holocaust Museum, Bureau of Printing/Engraving, White House, etc.)

If you are driving from the Midwest and I-70 is your main route, avoid the toll in PA on I-76 and drop down on I-79 S when you get to Washington, PA and hit up I-68 when you get to Morgantown, WV.  You meet back up with I-70 Maryland before splitting off to go to DC on I-270 in Frederick.  All non-tolled interstate and doesn't cost you any time.  It works when headed west as well.

Have a great trip!

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 11:08:21 AM »
If you choose to fly, try to fly into Reagan National, not Dulles. Dulles is way out of the city, and Reagan National has a metro station attached for easy transportation around the area. Bring comfy shoes. The walks are long but the weather should be nice when you go.

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2018, 11:15:58 AM »
If you have some time during your trip to DC, you may also want to try driving down to Shenandoah National Park in VA. Also, Annapolis is a great little city that is full of history. The Naval Academy is also a great place to walk around.

For your next vacation, I recommend Tahoe.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2018, 12:32:48 PM »
I suggest the Carolinas. October/November is off season. The weather should be temperate but definitely not hot at the beach. You could fly into Charlotte, NC which is a major hub, drive to Ashville, NC for some mountain air and a great arts and music scene and drive out to the coast for a few days. I personally would go to Charleston, SC and the beaches in that area, but there are tons of choices.

I did a vacation from the Outer Banks to Asheville a few years ago during the last week of October.  I highly recommend.  Blowing Rock, NC was a great place to visit and the drive from there to Asheville on the Blue Ridge Parkway was a highlight of the trip.  It was really special to go from beaches to mountains in one vacation.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2018, 02:04:36 PM »
Have you road tripped up to Theodore Roosevelt National Park?  I did this in the spring and it was wonderful.  Depending on where you're coming from you could also hit the Black Hills, Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower.   Check out the animals in theo park...  https://thehotflashpacker.com/north-dakota/

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2018, 03:44:54 PM »
Some DC trip advice:

-The Mall is deceptively large.  Last trip to DC we walked it, but walking eats up a lot of time.  Friends of mine (haven't done this personally), rented bikes for a 1/2 day and rode around the mall and visited all the outdoor things - vietnam memorial, etc.   That seems like a better way to go.

-The metro in DC is really nice.  I would not try to drive around DC at all - but it would be good to drive to other outer areas.

-One time I drove from Columbus Ohio to DC in October and went through WV and MD the same week the trees were in peak colors.  It was beautiful.  If you are driving, I'd recommend timing your drive to see this if possible.

Ocinfo

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2018, 06:25:53 PM »

This is a great time to visit DC (have lived here for 9 years); all the nice weather (maybe) of the spring but far fewer tourists. Since you’ll have 9 days, I definitely suggest a day trip or overnight to Charlottesville or Richmond VA. Lots of breweries and wineries as well as generally good fall colors around the mountains. Jefferson’s Monticello home is a good historical stop between breweries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk