Author Topic: R.I.P. Boarder42  (Read 32052 times)

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
Re: R.I.P. Boarder42
« Reply #100 on: October 15, 2018, 12:43:54 AM »
The Fall of Boarder42

Bee-Fourtwo was a mortgage-lovin' king
Of him the forum sadly sing
The last whose posts were foul and free
Until he left, from 2-0-1-three

His words were strong, his intent keen
The numbers in his posts were seen
The text was Red, the warnings sent
The banhammer on his head was bent

Then long ago he went away
And where he posteth none can say
For into darkness fell his posts-bar
In Banland where the bold ones are
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 12:58:39 AM by Radagast »

oldmannickels

• Stubble
« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2018, 07:24:50 AM »
This post is in protest of Boarder42's ban.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2018, 09:34:29 AM »
It's been four days since he logged in. I think he might be giving up on us...

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/profile/?u=11328

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2018, 11:45:45 AM »
It's been four days since he logged in. I think he might be giving up on us...

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/profile/?u=11328

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2018, 12:22:34 PM »

RIP Boarder 42. May your mortgage never be paid off. In this life or the next!

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2018, 12:33:12 PM »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2018, 12:34:10 PM »
These forums have consistently been getting less face-punchy over the years I've been here, it's unsurprising he got banned as he didn't really change his posting style as a result.

The number of people willing to actually debate the math side of things has gone to close to zero here. Ah well. I guess there's a reason I browse these forums rarely now - there's just one more additional reason now.

I hadn't thought about it, but you're right. It's not just the old posters who are disappearing, but the ones who are willing to argue about the numbers behind FIRE and actually work through the math to back up their positions.
I vow to re-up the math in my posts.
Funny, until you mentioned it I hadn't given much thought on the matter, but this forum used to give out some pretty awesome mathematical analyses on everything from case-studies to risk analyses.  Nowadays the quantifiable has yielded to the emotional and qualitative.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2018, 12:34:58 PM »

Boarder42 forever!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2018, 01:05:44 PM »
These forums have consistently been getting less face-punchy over the years I've been here, it's unsurprising he got banned as he didn't really change his posting style as a result.

The number of people willing to actually debate the math side of things has gone to close to zero here. Ah well. I guess there's a reason I browse these forums rarely now - there's just one more additional reason now.

I hadn't thought about it, but you're right. It's not just the old posters who are disappearing, but the ones who are willing to argue about the numbers behind FIRE and actually work through the math to back up their positions.
I vow to re-up the math in my posts.
Funny, until you mentioned it I hadn't given much thought on the matter, but this forum used to give out some pretty awesome mathematical analyses on everything from case-studies to risk analyses.  Nowadays the quantifiable has yielded to the emotional and qualitative.

It's correlated with a much higher percentage of active posting in journals, too.

Whether or not that's just a correlation or causation I'm not sure.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #109 on: October 15, 2018, 03:09:23 PM »
It's correlated with a much higher percentage of active posting in journals, too.

Going to need to see some numbers to back up your assertion ;)

Well, anecdotally, using "unread posts" has become quite cumbersome given the percentage of those that are in journals.

I've also spent time/effort writing chrome extensions to hide all journals and seen a few other people wanting to hide all journals.

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #110 on: October 15, 2018, 03:14:23 PM »

Going to need to see some numbers to back up your assertion ;)

Well, anecdotally, using "unread posts" has become quite cumbersome given the percentage of those that are in journals.

I've also spent time/effort writing chrome extensions to hide all journals and seen a few other people wanting to hide all journals.

Yeah, my bookmark for the site is the journals section, just to click 'read' before clicking 'show unread'

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #111 on: October 15, 2018, 03:25:01 PM »
Yeah, my bookmark for the site is the journals section, just to click 'read' before clicking 'show unread'

That's clever :-)

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: October 15, 2018, 03:40:28 PM »

Wow, I hadn't really paid attention, but now that you mention it I went and counted and 19 out of the first 50 unread threads for me were from the journals section...

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #113 on: October 15, 2018, 09:38:46 PM »
Just tried to find his manufactured spend journal/thread and noticed it was gone. He provided the most valuable information I gleaned from this forum and now since people are offended by his writing style he is banned.  Sad.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2018, 10:02:48 PM »
He gave away too much knowledge, causing award flights to be harder and harder to find. He had to go.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2018, 03:31:05 AM »
Seems likes most of her posts were intended to gain eyeballs which led to clicks on credit card sales linked in the sig. sort of like MMM only less polite, haha.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2018, 05:54:27 AM »
Well this is a bummer. He kept it real, that's for sure.

oldmannickels

• Stubble
« Reply #117 on: October 16, 2018, 07:22:29 AM »

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #118 on: October 16, 2018, 07:26:16 AM »

Yes! I was just complaining about this...in my journal. ;-)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #119 on: October 16, 2018, 07:27:32 AM »
Seems likes most of her posts were intended to gain eyeballs which led to clicks on credit card sales linked in the sig. sort of like MMM only less polite, haha.
Wow @SnackDog, you got so much wrong in a single sentence!

B42 is not female. He coached people on how to manufacture spend and reap huge mileage rewards, he continuously taught the DPOYM lesson to all comers (albeit forcefully at times, agreed), he never used reams of journal space to clean out his navel fuzz, and he posted helpful comments on a wide range of topics. He answered questions, he gave examples, he offered proof and proof and proof. He was also hilariously funny, if sufficiently provoked. He cares about people and their financial well-being, even though he will never meet them face-to-face. He contributed a lot here, and despite his brusque approach, did a lot more for the greater good than most of the rest of us can ever hope to. The fact that this thread exists is testament to his many gifts to the MMM community.

He isn't dead, so I won't say RIP. I am certain we needed him more than he needs us.

Happily, he is almost FIRE, and he keenly understands and values the worth of spending his limited time on earth raising a family, not a corporation, and living a good, balanced, happy life.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #120 on: October 16, 2018, 07:39:19 AM »
Dicey, if you come across him in your travels, please give him my regards.

Greyweld

• Pencil Stache
  • Get healthy, save money, kick ass
« Reply #121 on: October 16, 2018, 08:52:36 AM »
He isn't dead, so I won't say RIP.
Retire In Peace ;)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #122 on: October 16, 2018, 09:40:45 AM »
He isn't dead, so I won't say RIP.
Retire In Peace ;)
Perfect! It's the mustachian version! [Dicey smacks forehead here.]

harvestbook

• Stubble
« Reply #123 on: October 16, 2018, 11:50:09 AM »
Look for a new blog, Mister Mortgage Mustache, coming soon

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #124 on: October 16, 2018, 05:02:36 PM »
Dicey, if you come across him in your travels, please give him my regards.

Shoot, , now I miss him and I didnt even read him.
I did pay off my mortgage, well, actually never had a mortgage on any number of houses we own. Slap me upside the head, he would. And that is ok, we all have our hobby horses.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #125 on: October 17, 2018, 12:45:12 PM »
weird

If I search for him, nothing. Yet when I ran by an old post and click on his profile it says he was active yesterday and the rest of his profile seemed normal.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #126 on: October 17, 2018, 12:52:43 PM »
weird

If I search for him, nothing. Yet when I ran by an old post and click on his profile it says he was active yesterday and the rest of his profile seemed normal.
It's October.

Perhaps hes just Ghosting us.

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: October 17, 2018, 12:53:57 PM »

Wow, I hadn't really paid attention, but now that you mention it I went and counted and 19 out of the first 50 unread threads for me were from the journals section...

After clicking on Unread Posts, first thing I always do is click on journals and mark them all as read. Then I click on Unread Posts, again, and get everything except the journals. A little bit of a pain in the ass, but it works.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2018, 12:59:17 PM »
There is a script for marking all the Journals as read. 

javascript:void function(){exclude=["https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/","https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/a-merciful-break-in-the-heat/"],"undefined"==typeof hideOrShow%26%26(hideOrShow="hide"),elements=document.querySelectorAll("div.topic_table td.subject span a, div.topic_table td.subject em a");for(var e=0;e<elements.length;e++){var t=elements[e].href;elements[e].attributes.length>0%26%26exclude.forEach(function(o,r){if(-1!==o.search(t)){var a=elements[e].parentNode.tagName,n=!1;if("SPAN"===a)var n=elements[e].parentNode.parentNode.parentNode.parentNode;else if("EM"===a)var n=elements[e].parentNode.parentNode.parentNode.parentNode.parentNode;0!=n%26%26("hide"===hideOrShow%3Fn.style.display="none":n.style.display="table-row")}})}"hide"===hideOrShow%3FhideOrShow="show":hideOrShow="hide"}();

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2018, 01:03:08 PM »

javascript:void function(){exclude=["https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/","https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/a-merciful-break-in-the-heat/"],"undefined"==typeof hideOrShow%26%26(hideOrShow="hide"),elements=document.querySelectorAll("div.topic_table td.subject span a, div.topic_table td.subject em a");for(var e=0;e<elements.length;e++){var t=elements[e].href;elements[e].attributes.length>0%26%26exclude.forEach(function(o,r){if(-1!==o.search(t)){var a=elements[e].parentNode.tagName,n=!1;if("SPAN"===a)var n=elements[e].parentNode.parentNode.parentNode.parentNode;else if("EM"===a)var n=elements[e].parentNode.parentNode.parentNode.parentNode.parentNode;0!=n%26%26("hide"===hideOrShow%3Fn.style.display="none":n.style.display="table-row")}})}"hide"===hideOrShow%3FhideOrShow="show":hideOrShow="hide"}();

Thanks @SnackDog . So, how do I use it on my Chromebook?

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: October 17, 2018, 01:44:25 PM »
I made it a bookmark and click it after clicking the unread posts page.

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #131 on: October 17, 2018, 01:55:08 PM »

Correct me if wrong but this looks like it just hides the journals from showing up in the list, and doesn't actually mark as read? Also, it looks like it hides "Off Topic" as well. Not proficient in javascript so not 100% sure here

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: October 18, 2018, 11:49:12 AM »
I made it a bookmark and click it after clicking the unread posts page.

Thanks @SnackDog . I'll try it out.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: October 18, 2018, 12:09:30 PM »
Wow @SnackDog, you got so much wrong in a single sentence!

B42 is not female. He coached people on how to manufacture spend and reap huge mileage rewards, he continuously taught the DPOYM lesson to all comers (albeit forcefully at times, agreed), he never used reams of journal space to clean out his navel fuzz, and he posted helpful comments on a wide range of topics. He answered questions, he gave examples, he offered proof and proof and proof. He was also hilariously funny, if sufficiently provoked. He cares about people and their financial well-being, even though he will never meet them face-to-face. He contributed a lot here, and despite his brusque approach, did a lot more for the greater good than most of the rest of us can ever hope to. The fact that this thread exists is testament to his many gifts to the MMM community.

He isn't dead, so I won't say RIP. I am certain we needed him more than he needs us.

Happily, he is almost FIRE, and he keenly understands and values the worth of spending his limited time on earth raising a family, not a corporation, and living a good, balanced, happy life.

+1

@boarder42 helped me learn a lot about travel hacking, credit card rewards, and manufactured spending. I can't believe he is gone! He was very helpful and I am grateful for the information provided.

I did peek at some of the mortgage threads. I do have my mortgage paid off and would probably be scolded by boarder42, but I understand the other side of the math.

I enjoy lively discussions on several sides of a topic, so I am sad to see boarder42 be banned.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #134 on: October 27, 2018, 09:20:35 PM »
he never bothered to capitalize or punctuate his writing sometimes I couldn't tell what he was trying to say because there were never commas or periods other times he just kept repeating the same thing over and over and over and over

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #135 on: October 28, 2018, 07:27:51 AM »
he never bothered to capitalize or punctuate his writing sometimes I couldn't tell what he was trying to say because there were never commas or periods other times he just kept repeating the same thing over and over and over and over

He never bothered to capitalize or punctuate his writing.  Sometimes I couldn't tell what he was trying to say because there were never enough commas or periods.  Other times he just kept repeating the same thing over, and over, and over.

FTFY :-)

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #136 on: October 28, 2018, 08:46:26 AM »

He never bothered to capitalize or punctuate his writing.  Sometimes I couldn't tell what he was trying to say because there were never enough commas or periods.  Other times he just kept repeating the same thing over, and over, and over.

BlueHouse is the mighty thorstach!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #137 on: October 28, 2018, 09:00:30 AM »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #138 on: October 28, 2018, 11:01:19 AM »
did you miss my emoticon with me sticking my tongue out?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #139 on: October 28, 2018, 11:09:23 AM »
weird

Might be because he still reads here, but can't post, so if you're like @Daisy and have benefited from his wisdom, you can say so here and he will most likely see it. That is, until the frustration drives him away for good, and our loss will be complete.

apkanne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #140 on: November 06, 2018, 01:57:19 PM »
I really liked reading boarder42. He helped me in a private message to think through paying down the PMI i have on my house. I am now directly investing that money into Vanguard/my works 401k that i was putting extra to the mortgage each month. Dave Ramsey got me into thinking about money, but this forum was what i needed after baby steps 1-4 and after I bought my house. Boarder42's posts helped me change my thinking and make better decisions than just following BS5, so thanks dude.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: November 06, 2018, 02:24:48 PM »
I was a friend of Jamis . . .

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #142 on: November 06, 2018, 02:45:47 PM »
His credit card hacnking journal is still active with others continuing providing MS and credit card bonus info.

I haven't been able to follow anyone's math on PMI. On my own 30 year fixed mortgage was 5% down a little over 2 years ago. PMI was equivalent to 0.4% interest at origination and should be equivalent to no more than 0.5% interest if I let it run to the point where it is automatically cancelled. Can't credit b42 with the idea that the rate I got was worth paying as scheduled, but if rates are favorable in 5-10 years, his arguments might be a reason I consider cash out refinancing to invest more.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #143 on: November 06, 2018, 06:02:03 PM »
To all the other posters out there - can you recall another poster who got banned yet a multi-page thread about it?  Because I can't...

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: November 06, 2018, 09:57:40 PM »
I enjoyed reading Boarder42, but he did get wound up. 

I'm sure he'll find better things to do with his time. 

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: November 07, 2018, 06:12:32 AM »
To all the other posters out there - can you recall another poster who got banned yet a multi-page thread about it?  Because I can't...

Wasn't there an incident with Sol getting banned by MMM (misunderstanding his posting style), but enough people speaking up got him back? Maybe that was just a warning though.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #146 on: November 07, 2018, 06:16:50 AM »

Wasn't there an incident with Sol getting banned by MMM (misunderstanding his posting style), but enough people speaking up got him back? Maybe that was just a warning though.

I don't think it was even a warning, more of a "maybe you should go if you're going to criticize me"

But it really wasn't a criticism of MMM so much as a criticism of greedy humans in general.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #147 on: November 07, 2018, 06:29:05 AM »

I don't think it was even a warning, more of a "maybe you should go if you're going to criticize me"

But it really wasn't a criticism of MMM so much as a criticism of greedy humans in general.

Source: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/forum-information-faqs/messages-from-the-community/msg1938885/#msg1938885

index

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #148 on: November 07, 2018, 07:17:29 AM »
I agreed with his math for keeping a mortgage a few times. With that said, the dude was a troll. This exchange was from a couple years ago when he was beating up on a poster who was saving 55k of his 200k salary. It was interesting how he was so good at the mortgage math, but he couldn't do the math to back up his own boasting. This was all in response to him bragging about saving 67% of his gross income while living a 6 figure lifestyle, and telling other posters they just don't know how to optimize.

we're around 160k-170k gross income and invest around 110k+ annually -  always trying to squeeze more out. variance is due to my bonus structure at work.  more bonus more money into savings. if you were to count house equity gain that savings goes up more but its not something i count.

I'm going to call BS on this. Let's say you make 170k and can both contribute the max (36k) to pretax 401k's and 6.7k to an HSA; So your Taxable income is 127k. In Missouri you pay about 37.5k in taxes.

So of your 170k you are working with 132.5k after taxes and saving 110k which means you are living off 22.5k?

You have a mortgage for a "big house", a boat, and long commute by car. Housing expenses on say 150K for a large house in rural MO is 9k per year. Are you are not counting income from side gigs, gifts, or employer matching? Maybe you are getting a lot of "freebies" you are not counting like MMM and his 30k renovation, new car, or vacations?

I am genuinely interested how you can live a "six figure" lifestyle for something around 15k after housing expenses.

company matches and ESOP contributions count into that 170k number and these arent taxable either.  that tax assumption seems to be way off as well.  with deduction etc. our taxable income is down to around 85k and our taxes are around 13k federal and 5k state.

posts like these make me want to start blogs about optimizing.  if i were to just list out my lifestyle everyone here would say No F'n way you're saving 67% of around 170k gross on that but yes ... yes we are.

I don't want to harp on this, but Border was so free with the face punching earlier in the thread. I was reading another thread (race from 1MM to 2MM) and just randomly saw this:

this is the right place.  my number is around 2MM we spend around 50-60k plus our mortgage.  but we wont hit 1MM til 2020 so it will be awhile before we're here.

Dude. Your numbers don't add up:

55k (spending) + 110k+ Savings + 18K Taxes = 183k + mortgage for a big house on a lake

He hasn't posted in this thread since you originally did the math on his numbers.  I guess he is comfortable ridiculing others for their spending but once someone starts digging into his spending he clams up.  hmm.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: November 07, 2018, 01:38:38 PM »
Well I tried to PM him to thank him for a recent credit card referral offer he suggested and couldn't even PM him. I guess banning him means we can't even communicate with him. Sad, because I know of no other way to get in touch with him.