Author Topic: R.I.P. Boarder42  (Read 12844 times)

Roots&Wings

• Pencil Stache
Re: R.I.P. Boarder42
« Reply #150 on: November 07, 2018, 06:12:32 AM »
To all the other posters out there - can you recall another poster who got banned yet a multi-page thread about it?  Because I can't...

Wasn't there an incident with Sol getting banned by MMM (misunderstanding his posting style), but enough people speaking up got him back? Maybe that was just a warning though.

Dabnasty

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #151 on: November 07, 2018, 06:16:50 AM »
To all the other posters out there - can you recall another poster who got banned yet a multi-page thread about it?  Because I can't...

Wasn't there an incident with Sol getting banned by MMM (misunderstanding his posting style), but enough people speaking up got him back? Maybe that was just a warning though.

I don't think it was even a warning, more of a "maybe you should go if you're going to criticize me"

But it really wasn't a criticism of MMM so much as a criticism of greedy humans in general.

RWD

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #152 on: November 07, 2018, 06:29:05 AM »

I don't think it was even a warning, more of a "maybe you should go if you're going to criticize me"

But it really wasn't a criticism of MMM so much as a criticism of greedy humans in general.

Source: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/forum-information-faqs/messages-from-the-community/msg1938885/#msg1938885

index

• Bristles
« Reply #153 on: November 07, 2018, 07:17:29 AM »
I agreed with his math for keeping a mortgage a few times. With that said, the dude was a troll. This exchange was from a couple years ago when he was beating up on a poster who was saving 55k of his 200k salary. It was interesting how he was so good at the mortgage math, but he couldn't do the math to back up his own boasting. This was all in response to him bragging about saving 67% of his gross income while living a 6 figure lifestyle, and telling other posters they just don't know how to optimize.

we're around 160k-170k gross income and invest around 110k+ annually -  always trying to squeeze more out. variance is due to my bonus structure at work.  more bonus more money into savings. if you were to count house equity gain that savings goes up more but its not something i count.

I'm going to call BS on this. Let's say you make 170k and can both contribute the max (36k) to pretax 401k's and 6.7k to an HSA; So your Taxable income is 127k. In Missouri you pay about 37.5k in taxes.

So of your 170k you are working with 132.5k after taxes and saving 110k which means you are living off 22.5k?

You have a mortgage for a "big house", a boat, and long commute by car. Housing expenses on say 150K for a large house in rural MO is 9k per year. Are you are not counting income from side gigs, gifts, or employer matching? Maybe you are getting a lot of "freebies" you are not counting like MMM and his 30k renovation, new car, or vacations?

I am genuinely interested how you can live a "six figure" lifestyle for something around 15k after housing expenses.

company matches and ESOP contributions count into that 170k number and these arent taxable either.  that tax assumption seems to be way off as well.  with deduction etc. our taxable income is down to around 85k and our taxes are around 13k federal and 5k state.

posts like these make me want to start blogs about optimizing.  if i were to just list out my lifestyle everyone here would say No F'n way you're saving 67% of around 170k gross on that but yes ... yes we are.

I don't want to harp on this, but Border was so free with the face punching earlier in the thread. I was reading another thread (race from 1MM to 2MM) and just randomly saw this:

this is the right place.  my number is around 2MM we spend around 50-60k plus our mortgage.  but we wont hit 1MM til 2020 so it will be awhile before we're here.

Dude. Your numbers don't add up:

55k (spending) + 110k+ Savings + 18K Taxes = 183k + mortgage for a big house on a lake

He hasn't posted in this thread since you originally did the math on his numbers.  I guess he is comfortable ridiculing others for their spending but once someone starts digging into his spending he clams up.  hmm.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #154 on: November 07, 2018, 01:38:38 PM »
Well I tried to PM him to thank him for a recent credit card referral offer he suggested and couldn't even PM him. I guess banning him means we can't even communicate with him. Sad, because I know of no other way to get in touch with him.

RWD

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #155 on: November 07, 2018, 01:59:57 PM »
Well I tried to PM him to thank him for a recent credit card referral offer he suggested and couldn't even PM him. I guess banning him means we can't even communicate with him. Sad, because I know of no other way to get in touch with him.

I just did some searching and am pretty sure I found him on a wakeboarding forum. The username I found was also used here on the MMM forums before boarder42's account was created and had a similar writing style and admonishment of prepaying mortgages. Unfortunately the main forum I found him on is blocked at work for "malicious web reputation". So venture there at your own risk.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #156 on: November 09, 2018, 04:21:31 AM »
The advice being pushed as 'always correct' wasn't if you happen to live in a country other than the US.  It was certainly frustrating to see country specific advice constantly dogmatically given out over and over without acknowledgement of that fact.

I'm Australian and his advice didn't really make any sense to me. It still doesn't. I suppose to be fair you could make the argument that paying down your mortgage doesn't make financial sense when there is a raging bull market but it's far from a clear cut decision if you are Australian.

Still I don't believe in banning people because as you state if can end up an echo chamber. Different points of view are good.

nereo

• Walrus Stache
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #157 on: November 09, 2018, 05:02:16 AM »
The advice being pushed as 'always correct' wasn't if you happen to live in a country other than the US.  It was certainly frustrating to see country specific advice constantly dogmatically given out over and over without acknowledgement of that fact.

I'm Australian and his advice didn't really make any sense to me. It still doesn't. I suppose to be fair you could make the argument that paying down your mortgage doesn't make financial sense when there is a raging bull market but it's far from a clear cut decision if you are Australian.

Still I don't believe in banning people because as you state if can end up an echo chamber. Different points of view are good.

Yes, his advice applied to people in the US, where we have 30 year mortgages which are fixed for the duration of the mortgage. I'm not certain about Australia but I know that kind of mortgage is unavailable in most of the world.  In Canada the longest term one can usually get is 25 years, and typically your rate is fixed for a period of 2 to 5 years (i.e. it functions like what we in the US would call an ARM).

B42 wasn't banned for his opinions on mortgage payoff, he was banned for violating the forum rules repeatedly.  I'm sad he's gone and would like it if the mods reinstated him for 'time-served' but everyone must follow the rules.

Hula Hoop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #158 on: November 09, 2018, 06:04:58 AM »

Yes, his advice applied to people in the US, where we have 30 year mortgages which are fixed for the duration of the mortgage. I'm not certain about Australia but I know that kind of mortgage is unavailable in most of the world.  In Canada the longest term one can usually get is 25 years, and typically your rate is fixed for a period of 2 to 5 years (i.e. it functions like what we in the US would call an ARM).

B42 wasn't banned for his opinions on mortgage payoff, he was banned for violating the forum rules repeatedly.  I'm sad he's gone and would like it if the mods reinstated him for 'time-served' but everyone must follow the rules.

We have a 20 year mortgage fixed at less than 2% here in Italy.  The advice to pay back your mortgage early ESPECIALLY doesn't make sense for us - even more so than for Americans where fixed mortgage rates tend to be higher.  No idea about other parts of Europe and/or the world.  Anyway I wouldn't make generalizations about the rest of the world apart from the US - the world is a big, diverse place.

nereo

• Walrus Stache
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #159 on: November 09, 2018, 07:00:56 AM »
sub 2%, wow!  And I thought 3.1% fixed was low...
Yes, making generalizations about rules, laws and rates in other countries is not a good idea.

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #160 on: November 09, 2018, 08:05:22 AM »
Do Italians get a tax deduction for mortgage interest though? My rate is 3.5%, but I also have a marginal tax rate of 34%, giving me an effective rate of 2.3%.* However, I am also in the dwindling group of people who will still itemize my deductions, just another example of how the 2017 tax cuts benefit mostly the wealthy and well-payed.

*Not that anyone is all that interested, but we cash-out refinanced in 2015, and therefore can only deduct about 85% of our mortgage interest, so in reality I'm paying 2.5% net of my income tax savings

Hula Hoop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #161 on: November 09, 2018, 08:13:51 AM »
Do Italians get a tax deduction for mortgage interest though? My rate is 3.5%, but I also have a marginal tax rate of 34%, giving me an effective rate of 2.3%.* However, I am also in the dwindling group of people who will still itemize my deductions, just another example of how the 2017 tax cuts benefit mostly the wealthy and well-payed.

*Not that anyone is all that interested, but we cash-out refinanced in 2015, and therefore can only deduct about 85% of our mortgage interest, so in reality I'm paying 2.5% net of my income tax savings

Yes there's a tax credit but it's not as generous as in the US.  Not complaining though.  :)

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #162 on: November 09, 2018, 02:08:09 PM »
No tears from me.

He refused to qualify any of his statements.  Always black and white.  When questioned, he would then say "oh yeah, in THAT case"...
I always felt that his advice was more confusing to newcomers because of this.  If he had put a footnote in his signature that said "1.  All advice is specific to US Residents only", then maybe I wouldn't have had such a hard time with him.   

Also, his risk tolerance was so much higher because he could and would borrow from his parents anytime he hit a cash flow problem.  People without resources like that simply cannot make the same plays. 

And one other thing... he routinely pestered people for what he considered to be frivolous spending, yet ... boat. 

The old saying about people not remembering exactly what you said, but they will never forget the way you made them feel is very true to me.   I'm glad he's gone.   

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: November 09, 2018, 03:58:35 PM »

I tried to explain this when I mentioned paying off my mortgage. You can fix your rate but only for 2-5 years and you can't fix your rate and then when the rate goes down re-fix it to a lower rate.

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #164 on: November 09, 2018, 05:18:22 PM »
No tears from me.

He refused to qualify any of his statements.  Always black and white.  When questioned, he would then say "oh yeah, in THAT case"...
I always felt that his advice was more confusing to newcomers because of this.  If he had put a footnote in his signature that said "1.  All advice is specific to US Residents only", then maybe I wouldn't have had such a hard time with him.   

Also, his risk tolerance was so much higher because he could and would borrow from his parents anytime he hit a cash flow problem.  People without resources like that simply cannot make the same plays. 

And one other thing... he routinely pestered people for what he considered to be frivolous spending, yet ... boat. 

The old saying about people not remembering exactly what you said, but they will never forget the way you made them feel is very true to me.   I'm glad he's gone.
No need to pile on, BlueHouse. He helped a lot of people on several topics. Not many people can say the same.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #165 on: November 10, 2018, 06:15:26 PM »

No need to pile on, BlueHouse. He helped a lot of people on several topics. Not many people can say the same.
Thank you for your opinion Dicey, but please stop trying to shut me down.  I get to have an opinion too, and now I've expressed it.

No need to lecture commenters.

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #166 on: November 10, 2018, 11:08:51 PM »

Thank you for your opinion Dicey, but please stop trying to shut me down.  I get to have an opinion too, and now I've expressed it.

"I'm glad he's gone." could not pass unremarked upon. Not nice, not necessary. You expressed your opinion in an unkind way. BTW - aren't we both commenters? As such, we are both equally bound by the Forum Rules. Feel free to consult the mods if you feel it's necessary.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #167 on: November 11, 2018, 09:06:08 AM »

"I'm glad he's gone." could not pass unremarked upon. Not nice, not necessary. You expressed your opinion in an unkind way. BTW - aren't we both commenters? As such, we are both equally bound by the Forum Rules. Feel free to consult the mods if you feel it's necessary.

Dicey, sometimes the quickest way to let a comment go away is to just let pass without remarking on it at all.  Some people appreciated B42, and I found him caustic.  I didn't like his comments and I didn't like the way he delivered them.  I don't know whether he's a decent human being or not.  That's all. 

As for the Forum Rules, I'm not sure what rule I've broken, but based on your history, I would bet you've already reported it to the mods.  Thanks for that.  Hopefully they'll let me know if and what rule I've broken. 

Now please feel free to get your last word in here:  "              "
Rest assured I will not respond. 

GreenEggs

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #168 on: November 11, 2018, 05:26:29 PM »
I'm going to have another drink.  From Aldi.  ;)

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #169 on: November 11, 2018, 09:34:06 PM »
I'm going to have another drink.  From Aldi.  ;)
Please save me one. I'll buy.

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #170 on: November 12, 2018, 07:42:31 AM »
ôSome birds are not meant to be caged, that's all. Their feathers are too bright, their songs too sweet and wild. So you let them go, or when you open the cage to feed them they somehow fly out past you. And the part of you that knows it was wrong to imprison them in the first place rejoices, but still, the place where you live is that much more drab and empty for their departure."