Author Topic: Poor Folks are Victims  (Read 123681 times)

Lyssa

• Bristles
Re: Poor Folks are Victims
« Reply #400 on: April 21, 2015, 11:06:42 PM »
Actually given the question answers are: always, never and sometimes, most people with a rarely would report never.

No, they would report "sometimes."
Actually no, most people don't.  That is why one would use a three point scale like that.

It really depends. Some do not apply for the help they would be elegible for and would always report 'never' even if they frequently went to bed hungry. Others would report 'sometimes' because they had to think twice what to throw in their cart after buying a new smartphone a day earlier.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #401 on: April 22, 2015, 05:07:49 AM »

From http://www.ers.usda.gov/media/1565415/err173.pdf, the source given by http://www.feedingamerica.org/hunger-in-america/impact-of-hunger/hunger-and-poverty/hunger-and-poverty-fact-sheet.html (which in turn was the source for
"More than one in five American kids lived in a “food insecure” household in 2012, according to the newest annual Map the Meal Gap report from anti-hunger charity Feeding America. The food insecurity rate for children nationwide is 21.6 percent."
There are likely to be slight differences because the chart is for 2013 while the posted quote refers to 2012.
So at least 0,9% have real food problems, thats we can all agree on, right?
That means in the US, with the highest per-capita income of all big states, nearly 3 million people hunger or are malnourished.
Thats a f****** bad numer, that one!

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #402 on: April 22, 2015, 09:33:33 AM »
So at least 0,9% have real food problems, thats we can all agree on, right?
That means in the US, with the highest per-capita income of all big states, nearly 3 million people hunger or are malnourished.
I think all agree that, for various reasons, there are children not receiving proper nutrition - and, pretty much by definition (i.e., because they are children) this is through no fault of their own.

There are also adults not receiving proper nutrition.  Here there is a split - for some (e.g., genetic medical problems) it is also through no fault of their own, for others it is due to poor life choices.

The 0.9% is out of "U.S. households with children" so the denominator is 38.5 million.  Of course there could be >1 child per household.  Assuming 2 children/household, we get 0.9% * 38.5 million * 2 = ~700,000. 

That is still a very large number, but nowhere near the size implied by the misleading "one in five American kids..." quote.  Whenever people - from any political perspective - cite a misleading statistic, it causes me to think less of their opinion.  YMMV.

As for "how much underfed?" - that is difficult to know.  One could posit that people would not admit to a problem unless it is severe (leading to an under count of problems), or posit that counting "ever in the past 12 months" is not indicative of a real problem (leading to an over count of real problems).

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #403 on: April 26, 2015, 08:41:36 PM »
After three years, my brother finally recovered from his mental illness and he was able to get his nursing certification back so he can work again.  He starts next week.  I'm so proud of him.  Now he won't have to eat rotten vegetables from the food bank anymore.  If it was up to many people on this board, he would be dead.  I hope those people are proud of themselves.  You are all so amazing.  Boot straps!

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #404 on: April 27, 2015, 07:23:50 AM »
After three years, my brother finally recovered from his mental illness and he was able to get his nursing certification back so he can work again.  He starts next week.  I'm so proud of him.  Now he won't have to eat rotten vegetables from the food bank anymore.  If it was up to many people on this board, he would be dead.  I hope those people are proud of themselves.  You are all so amazing.  Boot straps!
Glad he was able to make use of the food bank and glad he is getting back on his feet. 

Not so glad for your overwhelming snarkiness.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!