Poll

Who do you think will win the 2020 U.S. Presidential Election

Donald Trump
105 (29.6%)
Joe Biden
230 (64.8%)
3rd-Party Candidate or Black Swan Event (e.g., Trump or Biden dies)
20 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 353

Author Topic: Poll: Who will win the 2020 U.S. Presidential Election?  (Read 138805 times)

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
Poll: Who will win the 2020 U.S. Presidential Election?
« on: April 27, 2020, 10:29:30 AM »
Let's see how accurate the MMM community is in forecasting the outcome of the U.S. presidential election! I've set up this poll so people can change their votes, so that we can see how the forecast changes as the election grows nearer.

Although no one knows for sure (as shown by the shocking results of 2016), I'm going on record as guessing that Donald Trump will not be re-elected. I'll even go further to say it won't even be particularly close, as in Joe Biden may beat Trump by 5-10% or more in the popular vote. As to electoral college outcome, I have no idea, but also not terribly close IMO. I'm gonna guess Biden will take 60% or more of the electoral college votes.

rab-bit

• Bristles
Re: Poll: Who will win the 2020 U.S. Presidential Election?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 11:24:12 AM »
I voted Biden, but it's more hope than prediction.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 11:50:37 AM »
Two months ago, I would have voted Trump.

He's been so unbelievably bad lately, though, that I think I've changed my mind. And that's saying something, because I've always thought he would be reelected.

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 11:58:40 AM »
Trump barely won in 2016 against one of the most hated and vilified politicians ever with significant help from Comey 2 weeks before the election, a vacant supreme court seat and no political history to scrutinize. If Biden picks an inspiring VP and can handle himself well in the debates I think he's going to win. I expect Biden will be fine in the debates, he did fine in the democratic debates, the Biden's mental health thing is mostly made up IMO. He's not 2008 Obama but he's fine.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 12:01:26 PM by sixwings »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 12:01:51 PM »
Seems a bit early.

What’s going to happen between now (end of April) and early November?

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 12:19:36 PM »
Seems a bit early.

Agreed, lots could happen between now and November (see @sixwings' reference to the baffling Comey announcement just prior to the last election as a good example). But I think it's interesting to take the pulse of what people think now, and how it might change as the election nears (which is why I allowed people to change their votes, as I mentioned above). I hope people will confine their answers to who they think will win, not who they want to win.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 12:26:36 PM »
Seems a bit early.

Agreed, lots could happen between now and November (see @sixwings' reference to the baffling Comey announcement just prior to the last election as a good example). But I think it's interesting to take the pulse of what people think now, and how it might change as the election nears (which is why I allowed people to change their votes, as I mentioned above). I hope people will confine their answers to who they think will win, not who they want to win.

Well, to me, it’s clear that if the election were held today Biden would win.  He’s got a much larger lead than HRC had during the previous election, and he has leads in multiple battleground states (Florida, Pennsylvania & Michigan) that Trump ‘flipped’. Likewise Trump’s approval is 10 points/i] lower now than it was when he was elected... and it has remained underwater for 3 solid years. Virtually every major election from the midterms on has had record turnout and the results have broadly favored Democratic challengers. Given how narrowly DJT won the last election he would not be able to pull of a second win - again if it were held today.

But of course I don’t expect these numbers to remain static.  Things will change substantially between now and November. Attack ads and conspiracy theories will blanket the media-sphere.  One or both could (and probably will) make some major gaffs.  And we still don’t know who the VP pick for the Dems will be, and what she (?) will contribute to the race.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 12:40:48 PM »
My gut says 1/5 chance of either Trump or Biden dying of covid.  :P

js82

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 01:39:30 PM »
I don't *want* him to win, but if I were to place an even-odds bet, I'd bet on Trump.

If you gave me 3-1 odds I might take Biden.

I see this as roughly the inverse of 2016 - I estimated Clinton had a ~75% chance to win then, and I feel similarly about Trump now.

It's really going to come down to how the coronavirus crisis continues to unfold.

yakamashii

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 06:05:35 PM »
I'd put money on the black swan event, as long as I didn't have to say exactly what it would be. I mean, that's kinda what we got in 2016, if this question were asked early on enough.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 06:50:17 PM »
I'm never abashed about making an incorrect prediction.

I'm mindful that I consistently predicted that Clinton would win (she was not my candidate).

We know  how wrong my prediction was.

I realize  there is a  reservoir of enmity  for Trump but as of today I think it's 50/50 Trump or Biden so I did not vote.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 07:06:40 PM »
I'm gonna agree with nereo.

MI will not vote for Trump at this point. Whitmer is taking care of business there and publicly feuding with Trump.

FL is a shitshow with unemployment benefits. DeSantis will get the blame and, since he's a fervent Trump cheerleader and Republicans created the unemployment benefits mess in the first place, it'll translate upstream.

If covid is largely solved, and the economy responds, things will change. Trump knows this and that's why he's chomping at the reins to reopen.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2020, 07:23:36 PM »
Drumpf. The virus only helps him. The virus will abate over the northern summer then return by November, and some people will be scared to go and vote. Poor people will be more scared to vote than well-off people, and urban people more scared to vote than rural people. Republican-led states will, with the help of the Supreme Court, continue voter suppression, and the specific measure useful to them here will be preventing or inhibiting mail-in votes. This will mean the urban poor who predominately vote Democrat won't be voting as much.

As well, when given the choice between a rich, sleazy, senile, boring old white guy, and a rich, sleazy, senile, entertaining old white guy, it is not clear why people should choose the boring one.

It only remains to be seen if his supporters are ambitious enough to make Trump 2024 happen.

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2020, 07:28:37 PM »
Could be Trump, yeah yeah Trump.

He's probably going to flip Virginia because of the draconian anti-gun bills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2n_-jwPUHQ

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2020, 07:42:40 PM »
Economically, does it make a big difference? Seems like both candidates are more or less business as usual.

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2020, 12:28:44 PM »
I've been following the head to head polls by state at Real Clear Politics and 270 to Win.  Based on current leads in battle ground states, Biden should win handily so I voted Biden without any bias against Trump.

We saw how accurate polling was in 2016 though. 

I think the real story is do young people show up to vote in 2020.  Turnout is everything.  Here in red state Texas, young people are the group most anti-Trump.  Although I'm in Houston and its actually very "purple" here.  The local reps are almost all Blue but except for SJL, they are moderate Blues.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2020, 12:35:36 PM »

Why does this keep getting battered around as if polling was monumentally off during the last election?  Most of the major polls during election week showed the battleground states within the margin of error, and the final results wound up being within this margin.  Almost all showed Clinton winning the popular vote (she did) and a narrow path for Trump via the EC (which he managed).

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2020, 12:41:45 PM »
Unfortunately I think Trump is going to win.  I still think Biden does not make it to the election as I suggested in the Biden's mental health thread.  This Reade accusation might just be the opportunity Democrats are looking for to dump him after he chooses a VP.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2020, 12:54:41 PM »

Why does this keep getting battered around as if polling was monumentally off during the last election?  Most of the major polls during election week showed the battleground states within the margin of error, and the final results wound up being within this margin.  Almost all showed Clinton winning the popular vote (she did) and a narrow path for Trump via the EC (which he managed).

People have faulty memories and poor understanding of probability.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2020, 01:02:44 PM »

A lot of people have the mistaken idea that polling was wrong in 2016. You're correct on the merits, but most people don't read polls thoughtfully like that. Fivethirtyeight.com gave repeated analyses ahead of time detailing exactly that type of thing, yet got criticized for their very accurate "predictions" (analysis).

To be fair, many media seem to either think the common way, or promote it because it gets more headlines than a nuanced view. "Sad", to use Trumpian parlance. But once the media describe it that way, a lot of people assume the media were accurate. I think most such people are focused on other matters and made an innocent mistake.

PS. I suspect Financial.Velociraptor knows the statistical limits of polling perfectly well - his investment analyses are detailed, rigorous and IIRC express clear understanding of his data's limits. He probably recognizes the same thing in polling. Maybe he assumes we see that too, but just means something like "a more than 50% chance based on polls still doesn't mean it's really going to happen." Which is obviously true.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 01:17:55 PM by BicycleB »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2020, 01:09:51 PM »
I didn't think Trump would win in 2016.  My gut says he can't possibly recover from the shitshow right now.

So he'll probably win again.

js82

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2020, 01:29:21 PM »

A lot of people have the mistaken idea that polling was wrong in 2016. You're correct on the merits, but most people don't read polls thoughtfully like that. Fivethirtyeight.com gave repeated analyses ahead of time detailing exactly that type of thing, yet got criticized for their very accurate "predictions" (analysis).

To be fair, many media seem to either think the common way, or promote it because it gets more headlines than a nuanced view. "Sad", to use Trumpian parlance. But once the media describe it that way, a lot of people assume the media were accurate. I think most such people are focused on other matters and made an innocent mistake.

Aggregate poll estimates were pretty accurate on the NATIONAL level - for example one projection had Clinton winning the popular vote by 3.5%; she actually won by 2.1%.  However there was a systematic polling miss by a larger margin over a swath of the country from Pennsylvania across the midwest, up through Minnesota - Trump beat projections by at least 5% in these areas, and that's where the election turned.

Economically, does it make a big difference? Seems like both candidates are more or less business as usual.

In practice we'll have a lot of gridlock unless the house, senate, and presidency are all under the same party.  From where we are right now that seems unlikely - regardless of what happens in Trump V. Biden it's probable that we'll have a Democratic house and a Republican senate after 2020.

The most consequential thing will be supreme court appointments, which will hinge on the presidency - since in my estimation it's highly unlikely that RBG will still be serving come 2024.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2020, 01:31:50 PM »
Which polls specifically are you referring to @js82

js82

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2020, 02:04:43 PM »
Which polls specifically are you referring to @js82 ?

I'm referring to the 2016 projections from FiveThirtyEight(which are in turn driven by poll aggregates), which projected Clinton to have a 3.5% national margin in the popular vote(Actual: 2.1%).  These same projections generally had Clinton up 5-6% in PA/MI/WI, which Trump ended up winning by <1%.

Trump outperformed his polls across the midwest - although this was aided in part by the fact that the midwest as a whole was probably polled more sparsely than it should have been, because FL/NC/PA were being treated much more like swing states than MI/WI/MN - even though the latter 3 all ended up being extremely close.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2020, 02:35:18 PM »
I would say that the last month is the first time that I've had much hope at all that Trump won't win.  (I phrase it that way instead of "Biden will win" because I'm not especially excited about him specifically.)

If I absolutely *had* to put money on it today, I would begrudgingly put money Biden.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2020, 06:08:23 PM »
Which polls specifically are you referring to @js82 ?

I'm referring to the 2016 projections from FiveThirtyEight(which are in turn driven by poll aggregates), which projected Clinton to have a 3.5% national margin in the popular vote(Actual: 2.1%).  These same projections generally had Clinton up 5-6% in PA/MI/WI, which Trump ended up winning by <1%.

I don't think that's quite accurate.
1) IIRC, some of those states were at 3% to 4%
2) which as they said repeatedly, was within the margin of uncertainty that frequently occurs due to last minute shifts as well as polling errors
3) In any case, their analysis (not a mere aggregation) of the polls suggested that PA/MI/WI were among the states most likely to swing the election

Here's a link to their election forecast. How does it stack up on these points?

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/

1) PA 3.7% (not 5-6%), MI 4.2% (not 5-6%), WI 5.3% (yes 5-6%), average 4.4% (not 5-6%).
2) In the section "Who's ahead and by how much", the width of the error bars shows that all three states could go either way; you can see that because the bars' boundaries are on both sides of the center line
3a) In the same section, PA and MI are second and third on the list in terms of how small their margin is, and therefore how likely they are to be a swing state
3b) In the section "The winding path to 270 electoral votes", the winding chart physically shows Pennsylvania right next to the center line, more likely than any state except NH to be the deciding state.
3c) Winding chart also shows Wisconsin and Michigan as 2 of 3 next most likely swing states to flip in the event of a red wave - they're blue, but if the country shifts red, the order of flipping to red was expected as NH, PA, CO, MI, WI.

I agree with you that polls were off by slightly more in those states than others. Then again, the reason I like 538 is that they reason as carefully as possible about whether the details of different polls have predictable flaws, whether other factors are more accurate than mere polls, and adjust their model accordingly wherever they can find data. They're not just aggregating polls, they're analyzing them plus other data to draw inferences that are hopefully more accurate than simply averaging. In 2016 they were correct in identifying the upper Midwest states as swing states when the raw poll numbers weren't as clear.

There's a lot of time between now and November, so polls may be less predictive now anyway than they are in the final weeks. But they were reasonably accurate in 2016's final weeks in the sense that the final outcome was within the known historic typical margin of last minute variance, and the final result was clearly recognized by the model as what would probably happen in the event that the final swing of public sentiment was in Trump's direction. I think the polls (and 538's analysis) are still worth watching this year if you want to mentally prepare.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 06:25:37 PM by BicycleB »

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2020, 06:53:10 PM »
I wonder if anyone has polled various world leaders. Some have tried to influence the election towards Trump, most likely to sow disarray and weaken our influence in the rest of the world. That seems to have worked, so I’m guessing they’ll throw support behind Trump again. I don’t think Biden’s campaign will be savvy enough to compete against professional propagandists. Or maybe they think having him will cause even more disarray during a crisis, and support Biden.

Ok I took my tinfoil hat off. Just throwing the above out there for discussion.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 06:56:50 PM by Abe »

BussoV6

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2020, 01:26:22 AM »
Old orange pussy-grabber vs Old white sex pest. How did the USA get to this point? It's really sad.

Guess Putin will have the final say.

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2020, 03:15:34 PM »
Current "consensus" map at 270towin.com attached:

Current head to head polling by state shows Biden ahead by more than MoE in PA, WI, MI, which is enough to breach 270.  AZ leans blue while FL and NC are too close to call e.g. within MoE.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2020, 03:17:16 PM »
A bad economy isn't going to play well for Trump, but what the polls can't take into account are election fraud and voter suppression, which I think are bigger concerns in this election than any other American presidential election in modern history. See, for example, McConnell blocking election security bills last year, and the current GOP attempts to prevent widespread vote by mail.

So, I don't know. All three alternatives seem roughly equally likely right now.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2020, 03:26:56 PM »
Current "consensus" map at 270towin.com attached:

Current head to head polling by state shows Biden ahead by more than MoE in PA, WI, MI, which is enough to breach 270.  AZ leans blue while FL and NC are too close to call e.g. within MoE.

Wow, so the whole election ends up hinging on 6 swing states. That's depressing, but also nothing new in recent times, I guess. I hope Biden ends up taking 6 out of 6, making it an effective landslide for Biden and a clear rebuke of everything Trump!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2020, 08:02:44 AM »
Black-swan ideas:

• At least one State legislature seats Presidential electors (rather than the popular vote simply determining them)
  • A Florida in 2000 scenario (related to above)
  • Democrats use Michelle Obama as a "White Knight" candidate to replace Biden, who dies of COVID.
  • RBG dies; McConnell decides to push all his chips in by announcing that he will hold the seat until after the election, forcing Evangelicals to swallow their pride and vote Trump again.
  • Virus fears produce an election with effective turnout below 20%, both candidates declare victory.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2020, 08:43:10 AM »
Black-swan ideas:

• At least one State legislature seats Presidential electors (rather than the popular vote simply determining them)
  • Democrats use Michelle Obama as a "White Knight" candidate to replace Biden, who dies of COVID.
  • RBG dies; McConnell decides to push all his chips in by announcing that he will hold the seat until after the election, forcing Evangelicals to swallow their pride and vote Trump again.
  • Virus fears produce an election with effective turnout below 20%, both candidates declare victory.

Ouch. Those are some interesting and depressing ideas.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2020, 08:48:51 AM »
I voted for the 3rd party candidate - the Coronavirus, it'll write itself in.  It's bound to surge going in to November if not sooner.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2020, 09:56:10 AM »
Black-swan ideas:

Thanks for the interesting scenarios!

Although I would assume if RBG died, McConnell would completely reverse his previous position and cite some rule he just made up where a replacement HAS to be confirmed while Trump is still in office and the Republicans control the Senate. But your idea is an interesting twist!

I also wonder about a an electoral college tie. It seems bound to happen eventually. I thought it gets settled by a vote in the House of Representatives according to the number of reps, but apparently it's done on a one-state-one-vote basis. So presumably that would still be dominated by the Dems, who would get to choose their candidate, then the Republican-controlled Senate would get to choose the VP. Now THAT would really go well, and Trump would accept the result gracefully without any suggestion of fraud ;-)

Fireball

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2020, 10:17:54 AM »
Black-swan ideas:

Although I would assume if RBG died, McConnell would completely reverse his previous position and cite some rule he just made up where a replacement HAS to be confirmed while Trump is still in office and the Republicans control the Senate. But your idea is an interesting twist!

Agree. Although holding off on appointing a replacement for RBG might be good politics and drum up the base, it's also a huge risk. Too big of a risk when the POTUS race is essentially a toss up.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2020, 11:46:42 AM »
SCOTUS is already safely conservative with a super-duper liberal in that seat. McConnell has nothing to lose by leaving the seat open to find every possible Trump vote he can.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2020, 12:13:36 PM »
SCOTUS is already safely conservative with a super-duper liberal in that seat. McConnell has nothing to lose by leaving the seat open to find every possible Trump vote he can.

I strongly disagree. From the conservative perspective, Roberts has proven to be more moderate with the Obamacare ruling. Additionally, overturning Roe v. Wade is the issue when it comes to the courts. Replacing one of the most pro abortion judges with a super conservative would be huge for the conservative side, and holding out on appointing a justice would backfire in the biggest way. If a liberal seat opens up and McConnell doesn't appoint someone asap, I find it hard to imagine what the blowback would look like.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2020, 12:16:52 PM »

I strongly disagree. From the conservative perspective, Roberts has proven to be more moderate with the Obamacare ruling. Additionally, overturning Roe v. Wade is the issue when it comes to the courts. Replacing one of the most pro abortion judges with a super conservative would be huge for the conservative side, and holding out on appointing a justice would backfire in the biggest way. If a liberal seat opens up and McConnell doesn't appoint someone asap, I find it hard to imagine what the blowback would look like.

Especially with the (admittedly low) risk of losing the Senate.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2020, 12:53:20 PM »

Especially with the (admittedly low) risk of losing the Senate.

Yep. There's beginning to (seem to me to) be a not insubstantial number of conservative people who are coming down harder against Trump on his many issues but who voted for him because of the abortion issue. There is a realization that this is could very easily be the best chance in decades or ever to appoint enough conservative judges to make a big dent in Roe v. Wade. McConnell is not that politically blind. If he didn't strike then, he would lose probably permanently a sizeable portion of the people who are the Republican base and would vote for anyone (see Trump) because of that issue.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2020, 12:25:55 PM »
Analysis by CNN's Harry Enten compares state by state polls to 2016, to determine who would win now if we assume that 2020's election will jump slightly Trumpwards as 2016's did. His conclusion: Biden's ahead for now.

He thinks six months (five and a half) is more than enough time for that to change, of course.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/17/politics/state-polls-2020-analysis/index.html?utm_source=The+Bulwark+Newsletter&utm_campaign=b961c148e8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_05_17_08_43&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f4bd64ac2e-b961c148e8-76365981

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2020, 12:37:46 PM »
What strikes me this early in a presidential election with an incumbent is how narrow the pool of voters is that claims they "don't know/undecided/no comment/other" who they would vote for.  In previous elections this slice of the electorate would be 20-30% five+ months out.  This year it's 8-10% for most states, and is as little as 5-6% in several swing states like Arizona.

Overall there's fewer voters to convince, which means the strategy for both sides will probably rely more on turnou - both getting their voters to come to the polls and making their opponent's supporters so digusted that they don't bother.  Seems like a recipe for as nasty an election as we've seen... little need to woo independents, all the need to ignite both bases.

pegleglolita

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2020, 01:20:10 PM »
Overall there's fewer voters to convince, which means the strategy for both sides will probably rely more on turnou - both getting their voters to come to the polls and making their opponent's supporters so digusted that they don't bother.  Seems like a recipe for as nasty an election as we've seen... little need to woo independents, all the need to ignite both bases.

and one party that's openly dedicated to as much vote suppression/intimidation/obstructionism/gerrymandering as possible

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2020, 05:34:30 PM »
What strikes me this early in a presidential election with an incumbent is how narrow the pool of voters is that claims they "don't know/undecided/no comment/other" who they would vote for.  In previous elections this slice of the electorate would be 20-30% five+ months out.  This year it's 8-10% for most states, and is as little as 5-6% in several swing states like Arizona.

Good comment! Seems obvious once you point it out. Thanks.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2020, 10:04:40 PM »
In a recent interview Biden was given a pre-recorded question that he was told was pre-recorded. He still started talking to the recording.

Recording: Hello my name is [name] -

Biden: Hi.

Recording: thank you for taking the time to answer my question -

Biden: Thank you for being here.

Where, Joe?!?!?! You're in your home; he's from the past!

And then we have President Trump, who is telling people he's taking lupus meds to be extra safe from the virus.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 10:06:34 PM by Chris Pascale »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2020, 06:45:38 AM »
In a recent interview Biden was given a pre-recorded question that he was told was pre-recorded. He still started talking to the recording.

Lol! That’s totally something I would do.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2020, 07:24:37 AM »
I do think people haven't appreciated how different a candidate from the normal Democratic candidate Biden is. Clinton and Obama were in their forties when they won the White House. Even Carter was only 52, and LBJ was still in his 50's when he won his dramatic landslide on Kennedy's coattails in 1964.

Republicans--on the other hand--can be counted on reliably to put forward an old guy. I remember that first debate in 2012 when Obama acknowledged that it was the night of his twentieth wedding anniversary. The Romneys had celebrated something like forty-five anniversaries, then.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2020, 07:27:44 AM »

Lol! That’s totally something I would do.

Yeah - I’ve come to realize while I am very good talking to people face to face I come off as semi incompetent on zoom calls. Such a different social skill.  Sadly all my interviews right now are online. And Biden is stuck in his basement rather than in person, where he seems to perform best.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2020, 09:06:19 AM »
It's interesting that Biden is "stuck in his basement".

For a while, Democrats thought they needed to follow the "Southern Governor" strategy to win the WH (that's what Carter and Clinton were, after all). But houses in the South don't generally have basements.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2020, 09:37:38 AM »
It's interesting that Biden is "stuck in his basement".

For a while, Democrats thought they needed to follow the "Southern Governor" strategy to win the WH (that's what Carter and Clinton were, after all). But houses in the South don't generally have basements.

The one I grew up in did...