93 (30.7%)
No / Not that I'm aware
170 (56.1%)
Most likely, but never got a definitive positive test
31 (10.2%)
Yes, Multiple times
9 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 302

Author Topic: Poll: Have you had Covid?  (Read 20349 times)

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
Re: Poll: Have you had Covid?
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2022, 01:23:45 PM »
Nope, as far as I can tell - I had twice a week workplace testing for quite some time after they brought us back to the office, so I definitely did not have it during that time, and before that I was very, very isolated due to working from home and having everything shut down, and the various vaccine mandates once things did open up. I think most people I know have had it by now, some more than once. I'm fairly hermit-like in the best of times, so my odds are fairly good at staying uninfected.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2022, 01:58:29 PM »
I don't think so, either, but am skeptical.  I had two "colds" in May, the first incredibly mild - probably wouldn't have even noticed my symptoms back in 2019.  I was just starting to believe, by my 3rd test/1st PCR test (on Day 5) that I really didn't have it when I read that even a PCR test on Days 5-7 (the "gold standard") can have a 20% false negative rate.  I subsequently got one more negative PCR, so I trust it a little more, but I'm still shrugging about it if they really can have such high false negativity rates.  It seems like RATs are pretty much meaningless unless it gives you a positive.

More negatives (RAT only) for the second cold and I'm really hoping this one is true or true enough to keep testing negative on a RAT since I need that a week from today to come back to the US.  Given my previous statement about how insensitive it seems RATs are, I should feel confident about testing negative next week, esp. since it will be a good 2 weeks after my last "cold".  But I'm feeling paranoid and looking forward to going back to being in the controlled environment of home and not needing to eat out so much, not being a tourist around so many other tourists, etc.

This may seem twisted, but I'm taking more confidence that it's not COVID from the fact that my two travel partners don't seem to have gotten anything from me, which implies something much less transmissible than this incredibly contagious disease.  I certainly didn't mean to experiment on them, but I do wonder if that info is not more conclusive than a RAT.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2022, 02:15:50 PM »
Yep! Triple vaxxed. I got it along with my two kids in the beginning of May this year. For me it was a mild cold for two days and thereafter feeling winded more easily than usual for about a week. My 5 year old daughter had no symptoms but tested positive. My 7 year old son was more tired than usual for two days and then fine. Kids were vaxxed in fall 2021. Husband tested negative the whole time with several home tests and a PCR test but we're skeptical of the tests because he had some symptoms. He also was triple vaxxed.

For us, it really wasn't a big deal other than having to isolate/quarantine for about two weeks all told. We're out in public all the time. I'm a classroom teacher and we haven't been remote since last year. My kids are in school 100% of the time. Considering all that I figured it was just a matter of time.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2022, 05:37:10 AM »
I haven't had it, but I know personally (knew) more than 5 people who have died from it and the elementary school 1 block from my house has lost more than 10 parents to it (that I know of...could be more). 

I just think it's important to keep that in mind -- this shi still kills people.

10 parents from a single elementary school?  I believe what you are saying, but I feel the need to point out that if this is true, it's a massive anomaly.  If we estimate an elementary school of 500, assuming 2 parents for every 2 children (or, one parent per child on average), and a 75% covid infection rate that would be 375 sick parents.  The national average for death rate for the age group from 30-49 years of age is (likely age group of elementary aged parents) 0.3% so it would be expected for 1 parent to have died in this hypothetical elementary school.  Is there some sort of really common comorbidity at this school?  is it a massive anti-vax area?  A 10X expected death rate seems odd...
Some of my local elementary schools have 600-700 students.

My husband and I are in our 50s with a 9 year old...and we aren't the oldest parents in the school.  I'd expect the same is possibly true for the WDC area.

Yes, of course.  There are going to be parents younger than 30 and older than 49 in a any given elementary school, but I am confident the average is within the 30-49 range.  My point is that a 3% infection mortality rate for elementary school parents is an extreme anomaly.

I'm in my mid 40s. I personally know of 4 former classmates who passed away due to COVID. I graduated with 390 other folks. After getting COVID myself (I am vaxed and boosted), I am not surprised by this at all.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2022, 06:57:53 PM »
I haven't had it, but I know personally (knew) more than 5 people who have died from it and the elementary school 1 block from my house has lost more than 10 parents to it (that I know of...could be more). 

I just think it's important to keep that in mind -- this shi still kills people.

10 parents from a single elementary school?  I believe what you are saying, but I feel the need to point out that if this is true, it's a massive anomaly.  If we estimate an elementary school of 500, assuming 2 parents for every 2 children (or, one parent per child on average), and a 75% covid infection rate that would be 375 sick parents.  The national average for death rate for the age group from 30-49 years of age is (likely age group of elementary aged parents) 0.3% so it would be expected for 1 parent to have died in this hypothetical elementary school.  Is there some sort of really common comorbidity at this school?  is it a massive anti-vax area?  A 10X expected death rate seems odd...
I live in a mixed-race and mixed-income community.  Million dollar houses next to section 8.  The people who have been dying are poor and black and never had the option to work from home, or even quarantine.  Anybody (not directed at you) who says "I don't know anyone who ... makes me irate because it's clear they don't know the people who perform all the services that make our lives easier.  Yeah, it's a lot.  And every time someone died, there was a GoFundMe to pay for a funeral.   Also, I'm including guardians (grandparents/aunts) as "parents", because a good portion of the poor kids at the elementary school lived with their grandparents.  One family on the next block lost both the adults (grandparents) and the kids had to leave school and go somewhere else.   

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2022, 11:20:24 AM »
I live in a mixed-race and mixed-income community.  Million dollar houses next to section 8.  The people who have been dying are poor and black and never had the option to work from home, or even quarantine.  Anybody (not directed at you) who says "I don't know anyone who ... makes me irate because it's clear they don't know the people who perform all the services that make our lives easier.  Yeah, it's a lot.  And every time someone died, there was a GoFundMe to pay for a funeral.   Also, I'm including guardians (grandparents/aunts) as "parents", because a good portion of the poor kids at the elementary school lived with their grandparents.  One family on the next block lost both the adults (grandparents) and the kids had to leave school and go somewhere else.   

Yeah, some of us are quite isolated from it due to our circumstances.  In my current daily life I can't even remember the last time I heard of someone having it and nobody I know personally died from it during the whole of the pandemic.  The closest I can get is a friend that had a relative die and one family friend that was very sick for a month.  It's a surprising and good reminder to see on the news that it's still going on.  If not for that reminder I'm sure many of us would have already forgotten while there are still so many struggling.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2022, 01:39:14 PM »
Well, spoke too soon - I just tested positive yesterday. Not too bad so far, I've been mostly sleeping a lot, and my workplace has very good policies with regards to Covid time off.

Most people I know have had Covid by now, but I also know zero people who have been hospitalized or died from it. A big factor there that people don't really talk about is obesity - I live in the slimmest area of Canada, and my social circle is very active and healthy. I always get a bit of a shock when I'm in the US at how large people are, and of course that's a huge risk factor for severe Covid.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2022, 08:42:32 AM »
Well, spoke too soon - I just tested positive yesterday. Not too bad so far, I've been mostly sleeping a lot, and my workplace has very good policies with regards to Covid time off.

Most people I know have had Covid by now, but I also know zero people who have been hospitalized or died from it. A big factor there that people don't really talk about is obesity - I live in the slimmest area of Canada, and my social circle is very active and healthy. I always get a bit of a shock when I'm in the US at how large people are, and of course that's a huge risk factor for severe Covid.

My roommate tested positive yesterday, and half of friends' family (one parent & one kid) also did within the last week.  Previously to this wave, most people in my close social circle had escaped covid thus far. That's changing fast.

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2022, 10:03:35 AM »
Also spoke too soon. Got it last weekend. Felt pretty horrible for one day, then generally rough for the next two days. I feel fine at this point but I have a lingering cough that shows up randomly while I'm trying to sleep or talk.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2022, 10:52:25 AM »
Also spoke too soon. Got it last weekend. Felt pretty horrible for one day, then generally rough for the next two days. I feel fine at this point but I have a lingering cough that shows up randomly while I'm trying to sleep or talk.

Yeah, I'm on Day 4 now and honestly feeling mostly fine, just a little fatigued, getting cold easily, and coughing a bit here and there. The first two days were fairly bad, but I just slept through that mostly. Now I'm just waiting out my isolation in my comfy reading chair with a big stack of books.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2022, 01:07:46 PM »

Yeah, I'm on Day 4 now and honestly feeling mostly fine, just a little fatigued, getting cold easily, and coughing a bit here and there. The first two days were fairly bad, but I just slept through that mostly. Now I'm just waiting out my isolation in my comfy reading chair with a big stack of books.
Get well soon @Zikoris

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2022, 05:01:28 PM »
We just got over it. Sleepy for the first 2 days but the sniffles and drainage lasted almost 2 weeks. It wasn't enough to cancel a hiking trip though (quarantine!).

I'm pretty sure a blood test can determine vaccine vs viral response.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2022, 05:20:16 PM »
Has anyone had a sequencing test done? My positive test came via a CUE reader and they offered a sequencing kit - I got results a few weeks later of Omicron BA2.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2022, 08:24:20 PM »

Get well soon @Zikoris

Feel better @Zikoris

I have a friend who was to visit Thursday a nd stay the weekend with her husband who has it. They were mid-trip when she got symptoms and had to quarantine first at another friend's house and are now in a motel in my town. It just seems like the way we live now.

So far no one in my immediate family has contracted it, but it seems so close, yet not fatal for most with the current variant, so there's that.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2022, 06:40:39 AM »

My roommate tested positive yesterday, and half of friends' family (one parent & one kid) also did within the last week.  Previously to this wave, most people in my close social circle had escaped covid thus far. That's changing fast.

Seems to be. I know so many folks who have either had it within the last few weeks (including myself and daughter) or currently have it. It's crazy.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2022, 09:22:27 AM »

Seems to be. I know so many folks who have either had it within the last few weeks (including myself and daughter) or currently have it. It's crazy.

Me, too. As of today, I still haven't had it, but wow, in the past couple of weeks, a LOT of my friends have contracted it for the first or second time. This is the first time I can remember that so many people I know have it that I can't name the number off the top of my head.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2022, 07:20:32 AM »
I voted no when this was posted, but that's no longer the case. I tested positive this morning. I'm not totally certain where I got it, as I haven't really been too close to other people. My best guess is that I contracted it while grocery shopping last weekend.

Today is my wife's birthday, and we had planned for her to spend the whole day with friends while I watched the kiddo. Looks like that won't be happening now, and yesterday was my last day at my previous job. I'm glad I decided to take a week off between jobs, as this would be a pretty miserable first day.

Symptoms include body aches, congestion, and chills.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2022, 08:28:40 AM »
Get well soon to everyone who has gotten it in the last few weeks!

It really bums me out that even though I selected "allow users to change response", that ability is no longer available?  I was hoping it would be interesting to watch the results over time if people were able to change their response... oh well.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2022, 08:35:37 AM »
Nope, no COVID. We've been in lockdown in Shanghai since the end of March, as in Chinese lockdown where we can't leave our compound. Lockdown was lifted beginning of June, but we get a NAT every other day, so we're pretty sure we don't have COVID, and with the dynamic zero COVID policy, we're highly unlikely to get COVID.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2022, 09:03:23 AM »
I am fairly sure no.  Since about a year ago I am tested 1-2x a week through my job (once a week through the summer, at least times a week since November). We are also fairly careful because my youngest is still ineligible for a vaccine.  We avoid crowded places, do outdoor activities, wear masks around others (N95s since Omicron in grocery stores) and rapid test before seeing friends or family inside, or when anyone has symptoms.  My oldest had it once through a daycare outbreak, but no one else got it.

I voted no, but as of today daycare removed all precautions so I'm quite certain we'll have it in a month.  You can now have a positive person in your house, but go in unmasked and untested to daycare (testing day 2 and 5 only) with the hordes of unvaccinated little kids that touch/mouth everything.  What could possibly go wrong?!

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2022, 05:49:48 PM »
I had it a few weeks ago.  The younger kid brought a cough home from school.  DW got sick a couple days later, and ended up testing positive for Covid.  A few days later I got it as well.  Felt like dogshit for about 3 days, then felt fine for the next couple (in BC we are expected to quarantine for 5 days or until symptoms and fever are gone, whichever is more).  Got a lot of work done in the yard after I felt better.

I'm triple vaxed because I work a frontline job, healthcare adjacent.  I credit that with the virus just making me feel crappy for a couple days, and seriously reducing my risk of riding a ventilator.

I still feel it a bit at the gym, lower capacity on the hard cardio pushes.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2022, 02:00:03 PM »
I've had it at least twice, though both cases were untested. Dec 2019 and Dec 2021. Got it right around Christmas Eve both times.

I had been told at one point that if you had a reaction to the first shot (as opposed to the second) that you likely had COVID previously.

Like a different reaction between the two shots, or a reaction to the first and none to the second?  I'm not sure I know anyone who had no reactions to the vaccines.

I’m not sure what you mean by “reaction “but a tiny bit of arm soreness is what I had. At least two out of three times. I don’t really think I had much the first time.

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2022, 01:15:01 AM »
Haven't had it so far. Even attending a corporate mandated superspreader event incl. full, unmasked plane trips did not impact me. Mind you, I don't have or interact with kids and my general exposure outside of such office things is limited.

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2022, 02:11:16 AM »
I am fairly sure no.  Since about a year ago I am tested 1-2x a week through my job (once a week through the summer, at least times a week since November). We are also fairly careful because my youngest is still ineligible for a vaccine.  We avoid crowded places, do outdoor activities, wear masks around others (N95s since Omicron in grocery stores) and rapid test before seeing friends or family inside, or when anyone has symptoms.  My oldest had it once through a daycare outbreak, but no one else got it.

I voted no, but as of today daycare removed all precautions so I'm quite certain we'll have it in a month.  You can now have a positive person in your house, but go in unmasked and untested to daycare (testing day 2 and 5 only) with the hordes of unvaccinated little kids that touch/mouth everything.  What could possibly go wrong?!

You know, this is what I thought when our preschool dropped mask req's for the staff and parents. And as for kids? I don't think they've ever been masked there. I was really sure we would very soon after get COVID. I was pleasantly surprised that we went many months without catching it. The fact that we reenrolled and got through a year of preschool, half of that without serious precautions, was pretty cool.

In the end, though, we got it a couple weeks ago. Through preschool. I mean, we PROBABLY would have gotten it even if staff & parents were masked around the kids, but even I am not for requiring masks for toddlers and teachers 8+ hours straight a day at this point. But... I do not find it a coincidence that my preschooler got COVID only when masking up became the minority decision in my local community.

I can understand 'wanting to get back to normal', not totally shutting down one's life for what is minor illness for most at this point with vaccination availability, quarantining for 2 weeks being unreasonable, blah blah blah. I live in a fairly progressive area that had taken measures fairly seriously, and masking up was totally common until fairly recently. Now? I'm in the minority when I go into a grocery store with anything covering my face.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 02:12:59 AM by maisymouser »

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2022, 10:27:32 AM »
Add another to the list of spoke too soon. Voted no a few days ago and tested positive this morning.

I've had 3 shots of moderna. Sore throat, congestion, and just generally feeling bad so far.

I've also learned that when it comes to the at home tests, the speed at which the positive result shows up and how dark it gets is indicative of infectiousness.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2022, 10:36:22 AM »
Add another to the list of spoke too soon. Voted no a few days ago and tested positive this morning.

I've had 3 shots of moderna. Sore throat, congestion, and just generally feeling bad so far.

I've also learned that when it comes to the at home tests, the speed at which the positive result shows up and how dark it gets is indicative of infectiousness.

What leads you to that conclusion? My results showed clearly within seconds, and yet four days later I have yet to pass it on to the rest of my household.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2022, 01:30:15 PM »

You know, this is what I thought when our preschool dropped mask req's for the staff and parents. And as for kids? I don't think they've ever been masked there. I was really sure we would very soon after get COVID. I was pleasantly surprised that we went many months without catching it. The fact that we reenrolled and got through a year of preschool, half of that without serious precautions, was pretty cool.

In the end, though, we got it a couple weeks ago. Through preschool. I mean, we PROBABLY would have gotten it even if staff & parents were masked around the kids, but even I am not for requiring masks for toddlers and teachers 8+ hours straight a day at this point. But... I do not find it a coincidence that my preschooler got COVID only when masking up became the minority decision in my local community.

I can understand 'wanting to get back to normal', not totally shutting down one's life for what is minor illness for most at this point with vaccination availability, quarantining for 2 weeks being unreasonable, blah blah blah. I live in a fairly progressive area that had taken measures fairly seriously, and masking up was totally common until fairly recently. Now? I'm in the minority when I go into a grocery store with anything covering my face.

I understand wanting to relax things, but I feel they went too far too quickly.  I proposed that they consider:
1) Requiring masks for 10 days after an exposure, to limit the chances of it going around a classroom
2) Requiring testing every day when you have a continuing exposure to a COVID positive person in your house, rather than just day 2 and 5.

As it stands, you can have someone in your house with COVID, but keep going in unmasked, and won't find out you've exposed everyone until a few days later.

I hear your experience, but mine is that they removed masks last summer and less than 3 week later, 25 people had it, including my kid (who continued to mask, but masks protect others more than oneself - this was in the days before readily accessible child N95s), so I'm still raw about that. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2022, 05:26:33 PM »
Well, damn. Coworker is sick, positive covid test. Came home and tested, there's maybe a very faint line. Maybe. Will work from home tomorrow, then retest tomorrow night.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2022, 07:49:16 PM »
Every few months a sample of Australian blood donations are screened for antibodies. In June 46% showed the antibodies. It was even higher, way more than half, in the younger donors. It's not going to be a perfect sample but you could reasonably expect that half of Australians have had Covid now. Not me, but it can't be long!

Number of Australians who have had COVID-19 jumps in June survey of blood samples - ABC News https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-27/almost-half-of-australians-had-a-recent-case-of-covid-by-june/101271784

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2022, 09:15:40 PM »
To my knowledge, I have not had COVID and neither has my son, who was been in school in person since January 2021. We have both been directly exposed dozens of times.

My city did fuck-all in terms of quarantine and distancing,  my workplace has the most toxic come-in-sick culture I've ever known, and COVID has been absolutely everywhere. I don't understand how we haven't had it; I get EVERYTHING. I've had colds and coughs and stomach bugs. Somehow, zero positive tests.

ToTheMoon

• CM*TO 2024 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2022, 09:26:13 PM »
Welp, I managed to avoid it for over two years then attended my grandparents' & aunts' Celebration of Life (Celebration of Lives?) and now at least nine of us have tested positive and I am sure there are many more.

I was away for almost a week, and have now been in my basement for five days with my kids and DH upstairs. They are all leaving tomorrow for a week-long holiday that I am now not attending. I miss my DH and even my kids! (LoL)

We wanted to finally honour their lives, but we got complacent and are paying the price. Lesson learned! Covid is still real and still kicking people down all over the place.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2022, 09:31:14 PM »
To my knowledge, I have not had COVID and neither has my son, who was been in school in person since January 2021. We have both been directly exposed dozens of times.

My city did fuck-all in terms of quarantine and distancing,  my workplace has the most toxic come-in-sick culture I've ever known, and COVID has been absolutely everywhere. I don't understand how we haven't had it; I get EVERYTHING. I've had colds and coughs and stomach bugs. Somehow, zero positive tests.

Have you been doing much asymptomatic testing?  Even if you have, maybe you had it....when I was sick a couple months back, I had several negative RATs and a negative PCR test on Day 5 (the "gold standard").  I had to have another PCR test for travel purposes and while waiting for the results I stupidly googled false negative rates, and learned even a PCR test on Day 5-7 of symptoms can have as much as a 20% false negative rate which truly blew me away.  Somehow, I was still negative on my (Day 6) PCR test so I decided with that many negatives in my pocket I would trust it, but frankly any single test results has been meaningless in my mind since then.

To my knowledge I still haven't had it.  DH got it a month ago and we masked up in the house for over a week, but since so much info says people are most infectious on the first couple days before symptoms even start and we were taking no precautions then (not to mention I did all the same things he did when he was presumably exposed), I have no idea why I didn't get it at the same time.  I suspect one of the times I felt a little off and just kept testing negative just before that, I actually did have it.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2022, 10:03:53 PM »

Have you been doing much asymptomatic testing?  Even if you have, maybe you had it....when I was sick a couple months back, I had several negative RATs and a negative PCR test on Day 5 (the "gold standard").  I had to have another PCR test for travel purposes and while waiting for the results I stupidly googled false negative rates, and learned even a PCR test on Day 5-7 of symptoms can have as much as a 20% false negative rate which truly blew me away.  Somehow, I was still negative on my (Day 6) PCR test so I decided with that many negatives in my pocket I would trust it, but frankly any single test results has been meaningless in my mind since then.

To my knowledge I still haven't had it.  DH got it a month ago and we masked up in the house for over a week, but since so much info says people are most infectious on the first couple days before symptoms even start and we were taking no precautions then (not to mention I did all the same things he did when he was presumably exposed), I have no idea why I didn't get it at the same time.  I suspect one of the times I felt a little off and just kept testing negative just before that, I actually did have it.

I have not done asymptomatic testing unless I knew of an exposure (like when 6 people I share an office with all had it). Of course, I could have had it asymptomatically; I guess I just expected that if I had it, I would be quite sick, since I am prone to upper respiratory infections and have other risk factors.

I did feel very unwell after my first vaccine, rather than my second, which is supposedly a sign you have had it.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2022, 06:32:10 AM »
Well, damn. Coworker is sick, positive covid test. Came home and tested, there's maybe a very faint line. Maybe. Will work from home tomorrow, then retest tomorrow night.

Yep, I've got covid. Am sick. Mild so far.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2022, 07:11:43 AM »
just getting back to work. a fever for a few days and a slight cough and runny nose. not the most fun i've had but it wasn't awful. we've had all our shots.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2022, 07:42:15 AM »
No covid yet!

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2022, 07:46:00 AM »
We still haven't had Covid but we feel like the last ones standing.  Both my elderly parents (quadruple vaxxed) have had it with just cold symptoms.  I think a lot of this is sheer luck but another part is that they've relaxed masking rules here in Italy so most people aren't wearing masks at work, in the supermarket, on public transport.  We, on the other hand, are still wearing FFP2 masks whenever we're inside in a public space.  I'm pretty sure that that has saved us - along with sheer luck and vaccines of course.

I liked @BlueHouse 's point above re socio economic circumstances.  The hardest hit areas both here and in the US have been the poorest areas.  It seems that many people on here live very segregated lives in which they didn't know a lot of service workers and blue collar workers who had to work throughout the pandemic.  During the later part of 2020 my husband was working in a factory and it never  closed down even during our severe lockdown as it makes 'essential goods'.  Our kids also go to a very economically mixed school and several parents and grandparents that we know died of Covid.  I also know one person at work who died but he had a very high level job.  Not sure how he got it but he was an ultra fit 60 year old who ran marathons.  He died very quickly of Covid during May 2020. Anyway, I guess the fact that we know quite a few people who died of Covid is connected to the fact that we maybe live a less economically segregated life. 

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2022, 08:03:22 AM »
Still haven't had it yet as far as I know, but my sister and her husband finally came down with it last weekend.  They said it was pretty bad but they were able to get paxlovid on day three or four and are starting to improve.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2022, 02:30:13 PM »
Positive right now, and don't feel a thing. I had a fever and a sinus problem for about four days two weeks ago, but tested negative. A couple days after I started to recover I tested positive. Whether that was actually COVID or I caught it from someone a week after catching a cold I don't know. I'm still testing positive six days after my first test.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2022, 02:41:37 PM »
Yes, I had original Covid before being vaccinated. It was the sickest I’ve ever been, and as far as Covid cases go, it would be considered mild. After the pain was gone, I got to deal with months of fatigue and brain fog. I kinda feel like I’m still dealing with it 18 months later. Covid is not joke.

That said, I’m also now vaccinated and boosted. I suspect I had it again 6 months ago with minimal impact. I take zero precautions today and don’t really think about Covid anymore.

Bottom line? Covid is bad. Vaccinations are good. Covid after vaccination is much less of a concern and basically a cold.  Hopefully.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2022, 11:28:18 PM »
Yes, I had original Covid before being vaccinated. It was the sickest I’ve ever been, and as far as Covid cases go, it would be considered mild. After the pain was gone, I got to deal with months of fatigue and brain fog. I kinda feel like I’m still dealing with it 18 months later. Covid is not joke.

That said, I’m also now vaccinated and boosted. I suspect I had it again 6 months ago with minimal impact. I take zero precautions today and don’t really think about Covid anymore.

Bottom line? Covid is bad. Vaccinations are good. Covid after vaccination is much less of a concern and basically a cold.  Hopefully.

Yeah except 10s if not 100s of thousands have died even after vaccination.  Hard to understand the virus sometimes...

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2022, 12:38:51 AM »

Yeah except 10s if not 100s of thousands have died even after vaccination.  Hard to understand the virus sometimes...

Yeah… nope.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2022, 07:49:38 AM »
No. And someone in my household has had it twice (April with mild symptoms and beginning of the month with no symptoms) and someone else in our household went to kindergarten this year. LOL

So we’ve tested plenty.

We’re all vaxed and boosted and dh and I still wear masks to go inside anyplace.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2022, 07:26:05 PM »
Every few months a sample of Australian blood donations are screened for antibodies. In June 46% showed the antibodies. It was even higher, way more than half, in the younger donors. It's not going to be a perfect sample but you could reasonably expect that half of Australians have had Covid now. Not me, but it can't be long!

Number of Australians who have had COVID-19 jumps in June survey of blood samples - ABC News https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-27/almost-half-of-australians-had-a-recent-case-of-covid-by-june/101271784

Don't vaccinated people also have antibodies?  If so, then all these blood donations would be from non-vaxxed people? 

Update:  I still haven't got it, but I live a fairly isolated life.  my sister & her husband recently got it, went on Paxlovid almost immediately.  BIL is recovered.  Sister recovered and then rebounded.  She's feeling pretty weak and tired, but says it's mild. 

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2022, 08:24:14 PM »
Nope, though I have never taken a Covid test either. Fully vaccinated and single booster (so far).

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2022, 08:46:34 PM »

Don't vaccinated people also have antibodies?  If so, then all these blood donations would be from non-vaxxed people? 

I don't know how the screening works, but a few months ago the antibodies rate was 17% whereas 96% of adults have had 2 vax doses and 71% have had 3 vax doses.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2022, 05:25:57 AM »

I don't know how the screening works, but a few months ago the antibodies rate was 17% whereas 96% of adults have had 2 vax doses and 71% have had 3 vax doses.

I wondered about this, but evidently it’s different antibodies.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2022, 08:38:34 AM »
Tested positive for the first time yesterday. Day 3 of a sore throat, very minor sinus congestion, and achy joints. Day 1 I felt like a wreck. Very tired. Yesterday and today my energy level feels fine but I can’t shake this sore throat.

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2022, 07:19:25 PM »
I had it in early April.  Not really sure where I picked it up.

Sore throat started Monday night, Wednesday and Thursday were the worst of it (fatigue was the worst part), and by Saturday I was 95% better.

I quarantined away from my SO, and she didn't get it at the time.  But a month later she ended up getting it anyway.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2022, 08:42:25 PM »
We thought my partner got it; after being sooo careful (for real) she went to an unmasked wedding a few weeks ago!
Symptoms started soon after: runny nose, congestion, hacking cough, achy joints, slight chills, but nothing serious, just "sick". She did four tests, all negative.
A week later as she was on the mend I got the same symptoms. Two tests, both negative. One was throat/nose, one was nose only.
It did make me wonder about the tests so I checked the expiration date: 07/09/22
So who knows, I'll just stay away from people for a bit I guess.
I think going out in public with a hacking cough is a shaming offense!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!