Author Topic: Please Take Your Abortion Talk Here; You're Ruining a Perfectly Good Thread  (Read 54954 times)

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
As far as personhood goes- and I am understanding more and more that the personhood or lack thereof of a fetus is the crux of both positions -according to the law, there is a specific point where the state may be willing to consider the fetus as a person.  Whether you agree or not, this is where the law stands since Roe v. Wade.  I linked it in one of my early posts a few pages back. 

I'd argue that the 2 camps are coalescing around 2 cruxes. The personhood of the fetus is the pole that most anti-abortion folks rally around. This sounds like the position you take. The destruction fills you with horror and loathing. In an early post you recognized that women lose bodily autonomy when the state forces pregnancy. I assume you take no joy in the loss, but see it as necessary in order to ensure the rights of the fetus.

The pole the pro-choice folks rally around is personal autonomy. This is the position I take. I understand abortion is the end of a potential life, but the idea of the state having say over my body fills me with that same horror and loathing you feel. For my part, I recognize the fetus as a potential person, and I take no joy in it's loss, but see it as necessary to ensure the rights of the woman.

Both sides are reacting to something the see as truly, deeply, intrinsically wrong. In one post you said there wasn't any point in having a discussion unless some camp bent towards compromise. In my mind, it's not compromise we need to seek at the negotiating table. It's the realization that both sides (for the most part, there are some fucking crazies out there who just want to burn down the house) are trying to protect something precious.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
Either way, I think it is ironic that you feel a person should have to wait three days (typically) to make a purchase but not to make a permanent and life-altering decision that also destroys a person.

Waiting periods for abortion vs. gun sales are hardly comparable. The financial cost is dramatically higher for abortion than gun sales. There are states where the nearest abortion clinic is effectively an overnight trip. So now a woman has to take 1-3 days off work, arrange transportation, and a hotel stay. Plus the actual cost of the abortion. I seriously doubt many people live in areas where the nearest gun seller is that far away. Even if they were, the clock isn't ticking like it is with abortion.

The logic of a gun waiting period is I assume to prevent rage shootings. The logic of an abortion waiting period seems to be hoping a woman changes her mind about using a constitutional right.

I can't speak for all states, but in Texas if the trip is more than 100 miles, the waiting requirement is waived.  Considering Texas is one of the strictest states, I figure this is mirrored across the US.  (code of law:  http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/HS/htm/HS.245.htm)

We have (albiet not useful) anecdotal evidence that someone did wait and because of that, chose differently.

As far as running out of time, if 1 day is such an issue, then set the fertilization date one day earlier (if the woman really has issues tracking menstruation) and be done with it.

Only 2 states (Texas being one) with waiting periods have a distance exemption.

It's not just a day though.  South Dakota has a 72-hr waiting period, which excludes weekends and holidays.  It's the time to wait for the second appointment in addition to the day of the appointment itself.  And a 75 mile drive is no piece of cake for someone poor enough to not own a car.  (Heck, other than a 4 mo period, I didn't own a car till I was 32.) 

If you want to talk Texas, this article describes how it takes women weeks to get an abortion (increasing cost and pushing some women into second trimester terminations) due to the lack of access stemming from clinic closures:  http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/20/us/women-cite-longer-wait-and-higher-costs-for-abortions-in-texas.html?_r=0  According to the NYTimes article, the clinic closings prompted "more women to try to induce abortions with herbs or the drug misoprostol, which they obtain at flea markets or across the border."  So...in home, risky procedures.

Here's an interesting article on waiting periods as financial roadblocks rather than "cooling off" tools:
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/05/waiting-periods-and-the-price-of-abortion/393962/

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
Still not sure that it constitutes an overnight trip though, depends on the state and distance to a clinic.  I would question if there is anyone more than 180 miles from a clinic- which would make 6 hours round trip.

It's an overnight trip because in 14 states you have to show up in person twice. Once for the counseling. Once for the procedure. People have to drive 3 hours, get the counseling, drive 3 hours home, then drive 3 hours the next day to get the procedure and 3 hours home again. Or they could stay in a hotel for 1 night and avoid 6 hours of driving.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
A few things, the SCOTUS decision in Whole Woman's Health v. Hellerstedt struck down the law that closed those clinics- and the law was never enforced in the first place as Whole Health had an injunction against the state.  The clinics closed down pre-maturely without being legally forced to do so.  (If they were really focused on helping women, wouldn't they stay open as long as legally possible?...)

As a mustachian, I think we need to kind of mock the second article...  It was 22$ to drive there (cheaper than even 1 night hotel) and there was a three day waiting period, so why not drive there on day 1 and then go home, come back on day 4 (with someone to drive you) and go home.  Saves 96$ from the authors assumptions.  He also includes food that would have been purchased anyway.  Not great journalistic work, but standard for the industry in today's low standards (and I say that mocking both sides of our pathetic media).

People tend to leave jobs when they think their jobs is going to go under.  So the clinics may not have had a choice about shutting down if their employees were leaving.  (I also don't think you can make the assumption that they didn't really want to help people because they closed down.  That's a huge leap without presenting the logic/steps in between - or consideration of other potential reasons.)  ETA: I looked into your claim about clinics not needing to shut down.  Sounds from this like it took some time to get the court ruling and it was after a bunch needed to close because parts of the law were in effect: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/07/us/citing-new-texas-rules-abortion-provider-is-shutting-last-clinics-in-2-regions.html / https://www.texastribune.org/2016/06/28/texas-abortion-clinics-have-closed-hb2-passed-2013/

I'm willing to agree it's possible/probably to shave money off the costs the authors quoted.  It doesn't negate the point that it's financially costly, which disproportionately impacts low income women. 

You really haven't responded much to my point earlier that a lot of these laws have a disproportionate impact on low income women.  I enjoy a good debate, but it seems that you are snipping at side points I'm making without head on addressing my main point.  Are you ok with this disproportionate impact?  Whether you still believe a waiting period is right, do you agree with me that it seems that a lot of these laws are more about imposing difficult hurdles to persuade a woman to give up/run out of time, than it is about informed consent?

Insurance coverage for abortion is limited in many states:
https://www.aclu.org/map/bans-insurance-coverage-abortion

Thus, many women must pay out of pocket for the procedure.  Abortions themselves cost $470 and $1,320 according to the second article.  Take the middle point there of $895.  From the example, the travel costs were estimated at $221, which excludes costs of lost wages and food.  So, taking off $100 as you suggested still leaves about $1000 for the costs.

If you remember from earlier, I pointed out that 75% of women getting abortions are under 200% of FPL, 50% 100% of FPL.  That's $11,770/$23,540 for one person.  So 50% are earning a sum LESS than $11,770.  And now they are shelling out 10% of their annual income for a procedure that insurance won't cover, plus extra lost wages.  A waiting period might not seem like much, but it is hugely significant to a segment of the population.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 06:34:29 PM by Captain FIRE »

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
Worst case scenario, another SCOTUS case rolls around that makes other states match Texas' distance law excluding the wait based on time/distance commitment.

Or we could just rid of the waiting period all together. We hear constantly how these counseling sessions and waiting periods are soooo important for women's health and to be sure she's making the absolute best possible decision. If it truly is THAT important, then people who live far away shouldn't be exempt. This is the same issue I have with "no abortion except for rape or incest".  It's morally inconsistent. The prolife crowd claims ALL life is valuable. So it shouldn't matter how the life was conceived. But if you support an exception for rape, what you're really saying is a woman (and the man too) who willingly has sex for pleasure and gets pregnant, has to accept the punishment of becoming a parent!

You've pretended to be moderate in regards to abortion in this thread. But in reality you're OK with all these tiny little restrictions. It's death by a thousand paper cuts. The fact is you don't support abortion. That's fine. But make that argument. Don't pretend to be fine with abortion, but then support all these restrictions that end up making it difficult to actually get one.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
Just want to give a shoutout to thefinancialstudent and Captain Fire for many recent comments on this thread. I've personally given up, but you guys are spot on in pointing out some of the BS.

Also appreciate Sailor Sam's clear-headed and even-handed comments.

deadlymonkey

• Bristles
Worst case scenario, another SCOTUS case rolls around that makes other states match Texas' distance law excluding the wait based on time/distance commitment.

Or we could just rid of the waiting period all together. We hear constantly how these counseling sessions and waiting periods are soooo important for women's health and to be sure she's making the absolute best possible decision. If it truly is THAT important, then people who live far away shouldn't be exempt. This is the same issue I have with "no abortion except for rape or incest".  It's morally inconsistent. The prolife crowd claims ALL life is valuable. So it shouldn't matter how the life was conceived. But if you support an exception for rape, what you're really saying is a woman (and the man too) who willingly has sex for pleasure and gets pregnant, has to accept the punishment of becoming a parent!

You've pretended to be moderate in regards to abortion in this thread. But in reality you're OK with all these tiny little restrictions. It's death by a thousand paper cuts. The fact is you don't support abortion. That's fine. But make that argument. Don't pretend to be fine with abortion, but then support all these restrictions that end up making it difficult to actually get one.

I really haven't followed this thread but well said.  In addition there is the theme that if abortion was illegal and murder, only doctors who performed them would be criminally liable.  I applaud Trump (one of the few things I applaud him for) for at least temporarily pointing out the hypocrisy of this situation earlier in the year.  If abortion is murder than it applies in ALL cases and ALL participants including the woman need to be held criminally responsible.  If you aren't prepared to argue down that route then the whole supposition of abortion as murder falls apart.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
This thread has come a long way from the early pages where people were suggesting that if a person became pregnant another person should have their bodily autonomy removed as well.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
This thread has come a long way from the early pages where people were suggesting that if a person became pregnant another person should have their bodily autonomy removed as well.

I was one of those posters, it was meant to be along the lines of Swift's A modest proposal.  Irony, as in if one person can coerce another's body, maybe they should share the resulting physical aspects?  There has been a huge disregard of the physical effects of pregnancy on the part of some posters here.  Sorry you missed the point.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian

I was one of those posters, it was meant to be along the lines of Swift's A modest proposal.  Irony, as in if one person can coerce another's body, maybe they should share the resulting physical aspects?  There has been a huge disregard of the physical effects of pregnancy on the part of some posters here.  Sorry you missed the point.

The problem with making jokes that rely on hyperbole as a punchline is that there is a growing number of people in the world who will read it straight and then wholeheartedly advocate the position proposed.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache

The problem with making jokes that rely on hyperbole as a punchline is that there is a growing number of people in the world who will read it straight and then wholeheartedly advocate the position proposed.

True.  I read Swift's Modest Proposal in high school and our teacher had to stop the discussion and point out to us it was intended as sarcasm.  About 30 of us missed that.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian

True.  I read Swift's Modest Proposal in high school and our teacher had to stop the discussion and point out to us it was intended as sarcasm.  About 30 of us missed that.

Yeah, that was a commentary on let's kick the Irish some more when they are already down, it was the same situation as we now worry about in countries where agricultural land goes to cash export crops and locals go hungry.

Since we are online, is there a standard emoticon for satire/irony?  If there is I suppose I should start using it.  Although when I see people posting about 8-month C-sections and it is "only a 4" scar", I start to think maybe I would say - get your own C-section scar, complete with horrible abdominal muscle cuts, we can manage that for guys as well less the major incision in the uterine muscle wall  - for real.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache

Yeah, that was a commentary on let's kick the Irish some more when they are already down, it was the same situation as we now worry about in countries where agricultural land goes to cash export crops and locals go hungry.

Since we are online, is there a standard emoticon for satire/irony?  If there is I suppose I should start using it.  Although when I see people posting about 8-month C-sections and it is "only a 4" scar", I start to think maybe I would say - get your own C-section scar, complete with horrible abdominal muscle cuts, we can manage that for guys as well less the major incision in the uterine muscle wall  - for real.

Some people might find suggestions to remove one's bodily autonomy a serious subject, and not something to be satired.  They are not being ironic when they support people's reproductive rights.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian

Some people might find suggestions to remove one's bodily autonomy a serious subject, and not something to be satired.  They are not being ironic when they support people's reproductive rights.

But pro-life arguers do just that every time they prevent a woman from having access to birth control, and morning after pills, and abortions.  I was simply suggesting equal treatment.  Always easy to say someone else should do something you want them to do, whether or not that person wants to do it.  (generic you) 

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
I guess I've never felt the Hillary Clinton defense of "the people I disagree with do it, so it'd be ok if I do it to them" to be a reasonable argument. Especially with something as serious as the removal of bodily autonomy or reproductive rights.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
I guess I've never felt the Hillary Clinton defense of "the people I disagree with do it, so it'd be ok if I do it to them" to be a reasonable argument. Especially with something as serious as the removal of bodily autonomy or reproductive rights.
That is not exactly the point.  The point is, if you find that behavior acceptable to force on others, you better be ok with it being forced on you. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
That is not exactly the point.  The point is, if you find that behavior acceptable to force on others, you better be ok with it being forced on you.
Exactly!

Ambergris

• Stubble
I just saw it, thanks. I'm really surprised by the vitriol against those that are fighting for the repeal of Roe vs. Wade. My libertarian leanings support personal responsibility for your actions, and that those actions can't violate the guaranteed rights of others, which include the basic human rights of an unborn child. An unborn child at 28 weeks and 27 weeks, 6 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes, and 59 seconds are no different biologically but have wildly different rights. If you look at the progression of life for human beings from conception to adulthood, I don't think it's appropriate to give them basic, inalienable human rights in steps. You're a human, you have human rights from day 1, day 1 being the formation of a separate human body with its own brain, feelings, DNA within the womb.

For those complaining about 'women's rights' they're just saying that the 'right' to avoid the repercussions of their decision has more value than a human life, and I can't get behind that kind of thinking. It's self-serving and immoral. About the only legitimate argument that I've heard is that allowing abortion would provide a safer process for those that would do it anyways.

New to this thread, but this one literally astonished me.

On the Libertarian view, rights and responsibilities always come as a package. The right to life is the right not to be killed. Libertarians generally do not regard anyone as having the responsibility to take care of full moral persons except those persons themselves. Others can do so as a gift, if they choose, but no one can be forced to do so. I presume even Yeager thinks that no-one, even a parent, is responsible for the support of an adult person except that person. The only role the concept of "adult" plays here is the idea that an adult is a full person, total package of rights and responsibilities. One full person owes no responsibility of support to another full person simply by virtue of having caused them to exist.

What Yeager says above suggests that he takes the view that a zygote is in this "full" position. This is an uncommon position, but doesn't exclude abortion on the "rights and responsibilities" view. It means a mother must not kill any fertilized zygote she ends up with. It means she must choose the means of abortion carefully (no chopping up fetuses), but there's not a problem with anything that just pushes it out but doesn't directly destroy it.  So suppose I just take an abortion pill, which simply mimics birth or a period, and which simply pushes the zygote/fetus out of my body.  At this point it is welcome to continue to carry on living - by itself, of course - or it can try and find someone or something to continue to support it, which is, of course, its responsibility.

There are other somewhat problematic consequences to granting full personhood from conception; full personhood, after all includes the right to vote, the right to bear arms and the right to free speech. Being consistent with this position is possible but problematic; I know a fair number of three year olds who would love to own a gun. The results might not be beneficial to society, but, if Yeager is right, we can incarcerate the three year olds for the consequences of their actions because we can also hold them responsible. They are full persons.

Or, one could, just possibly, reject the part of Yeager's view about when full personhood is acquired and instead take the view that full personhood is achieved by becoming a fully conscious, fully rational individual with the capacity for self regulation and hence moral decision making. i.e. adulthood, usually in the late teens or early twenties (there's a neurological argument for 23-25). This is a slightly more common view, due to the somewhat less problematic consequences. This then leaves us with two further consistent positions on the pattern of the acquisition of rights:

1) Yeager is right that rights and responsibilities are a complete package and, as a consequence, until you achieve adulthood you have no rights. Then presumably, like other items hanging around the world you would therefore be simply property of whoever chooses to take you on and support you (the most consistent view would be that technically you would be literally owned by your mother for the first couple of years (pregnancy and breastfeeding), and then parents or guardians jointly (those providing) until about 16-25 years of age).  This of course has the problematic consequence that you are now disposable as your mother/parents desire as well. Some find this a morally problematic view.

2) Yeager is wrong and your rights and responsibilities are acquired bit by bit until you have them all at full adulthood, and it is a matter of discussion what this pattern would be. Generally, Libertarian views of this sort take rights to follow ones capacity for responsibility. The most sensible view, in my mind, is that you don't get the right to life until you are physically viable and not dependent on another person for your simple existence. You don't get a right to bear arms until you are sufficiently morally responsible to handle them properly. You don't get a right to vote until you have achieved full capacity for rationality. If you are an individual with only some of this capacity, then your rights and responsibilities are balanced appropriately.

But, you know, it might be fun to take Yeager's position and watch what happened. But I'm only a libertarian with a small "l" so I don't have to choose between these positions. What a relief!

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
The most sensible view, in my mind, is that you don't get the right to life until you are physically viable and not dependent on another person for your simple existence. You don't get a right to bear arms until you are sufficiently morally responsible to handle them properly. You don't get a right to vote until you have achieved full capacity for rationality. If you are an individual with only some of this capacity, then your rights and responsibilities are balanced appropriately.

By this logic:

1) anyone born prematurely or with other medical ailments for which they medical assistance to survive because they are weak/sick/etc. has no right to life (and, I suppose, at the other end of the spectrum, if you get sick later and require life saving assistance your right to life ends? can you lose rights if you lose the capacity for the responsibility?)

2) anyone who isn't sufficiently "morally responsible", whatever that means, doesn't get to own firearms. I guess if you are a psychopath or just disagree on morals with the powers that be you don't get this right

3) anyone with mental disabilities does not have a right to vote

The danger of "balancing" rights based on the perceived capacity of an individual is that someone will come along and say "hey, black people are dumb and lack the mental capacity to vote, so they shouldn't get a vote".

Ambergris

• Stubble
By this logic:

1) anyone born prematurely or with other medical ailments for which they medical assistance to survive because they are weak/sick/etc. has no right to life (and, I suppose, at the other end of the spectrum, if you get sick later and require life saving assistance your right to life ends? can you lose rights if you lose the capacity for the responsibility?)

Yes: on the extreme Libertarian view, you have a responsibility to provide for your own medical care. Someone born premature, on the Libertarian view is either provided for by parents or allowed to die. As to losing your rights, yes, if you lose mental capacity (even in current western societies) you can lose your right to make decisions for yourself. There is even a court procedure by which this is done.

2) anyone who isn't sufficiently "morally responsible", whatever that means, doesn't get to own firearms. I guess if you are a psychopath or just disagree on morals with the powers that be you don't get this right

Moral capacity, not moral agreement on principles. On the Libertarian view, the government can still incarcerate you if you are morally capable (you have the capacity for moral judgment), have a right to bear arms, and use that right to decide to shoot a shopping mall full of other human beings.

3) anyone with mental disabilities does not have a right to vote

The danger of "balancing" rights based on the perceived capacity of an individual is that someone will come along and say "hey, black people are dumb and lack the mental capacity to vote, so they shouldn't get a vote".

Presumably the view here is that the reason black people ought to get the right to vote is that they are full, rational moral persons in the appropriate sense, as are women and other disadvantaged groups. I presume you agree that these folks are appropriately competent? Mental disabilities on this view would only prevent someone from the right to vote if they were of the right sort (i.e. they impair your capacity to reason and make good judgments). Of course, how one decides who has these capacities - and who gets to decide - is an issue. Exactly how strong the capacities have to be and what form they would need to take is an issue. But presumably whatever capacities got decided on exactly there is a fact of the matter about whether or not a person has them and in principle we can make the decision. Anyone can always lie or make sh*t up to harm another person or try to deprive them of what ought to be theirs: but this could happen with any principle that was chosen.

Anyway, as I said, these weren't particularly my views, just the range of the views the big-L Libertarians might hold consistently. The final one is just the least insane. I'm a little "l" libertarian and I'm OK with a bit more government intervention.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
1) Yeager is right that rights and responsibilities are a complete package and, as a consequence, until you achieve adulthood you have no rights. Then presumably, like other items hanging around the world you would therefore be simply property of whoever chooses to take you on and support you (the most consistent view would be that technically you would be literally owned by your mother for the first couple of years (pregnancy and breastfeeding), and then parents or guardians jointly (those providing) until about 16-25 years of age).  This of course has the problematic consequence that you are now disposable as your mother/parents desire as well. Some find this a morally problematic view.

Under this argument child labour is OK.  Pitting children against one another in fights to the death for entertainment is OK.  Raping children is OK.

I think you understate the moral problems somewhat.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache

Under this argument child labour is OK.  Pitting children against one another in fights to the death for entertainment is OK.  Raping children is OK.

On a thread where some have stated that babies are less self-aware than cats or ants and thus it is ok to murder them, I find little surprising.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker

On a thread where some have stated that babies are less self-aware than cats or ants and thus it is ok to murder them, I find little surprising.

Let's just clarify some terms, shall we?

ba·by
noun
a very young child, especially one newly or recently born.

mur·der
noun
the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.

Could you direct me to the comment(s) where someone advocated for the unlawful killing of recently born children?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian

Let's just clarify some terms, shall we?

ba·by
noun
a very young child, especially one newly or recently born.

mur·der
noun
the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.

Could you direct me to the comment(s) where someone advocated for the unlawful killing of recently born children?

Beyond that, Metric Mouse is lying.  Nobody in this thread has said that ants are more self aware than babies.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
I'd tentatively believe ants are less self aware than a baby, based on the mirror test, but don't see how it'd even be relevant, as I don't know anyone (literally, I think there are exactly 0 people in the world) that believe an ant has more rights than a 1 month old (so it's the biggest strawman you can make, an argument no one believes).
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
...so terminating something that really isn't self-aware prior to birth doesn't seem like a big deal.

What evidence do you have that a fetus is in no way self-aware?

http://www.psychology.emory.edu/cognition/rochat/Rochat5levels.pdf

My typo piqued my interest - it looks like there is ample evidence there is little to no self-awareness in a fetus.

Sorry, by baby I meant in utero.

okonumiyaki

• Stubble
Jesus christ.

You can hate abortion all you want...

Show me where I have ever publicly posted to hate abortion.

...You can't use your hatred of abortion to control other peoples' choices. I hate bananas, but you can eat them if you want. Your ethical issues with my choices make no difference at all to me. Forced pregnancy and childbirth are utterly barbaric.

So **we** as a social entity can't control other people choices when it comes to theft or murder either?...  You're not robbing me, therefore I have no say in the matter?

We create social laws to protect the community group.  The issue is whether or not a fetus is a part of that community group.  You can make whatever choices you want, but if we accept fetuses as part of our community (at whatever development stage), then yes, we do have a say in whether life is taken from a member of the community.

This argument completely ignores the fact that we HAVE social systems, and have had them for thousands of years.

Church and state are meant to be separate, and sex-based discrimination is illegal. There is no anti-abortion argument I've encountered that doesn't boil down to either a religious principle or a desire to control what women can and can't remove from their own bodies. You think life is sacred? That's cool, but should not affect the law of the land. You don't want me to remove a parasite? OK,make a law that all parasites must remain in place, regardless of the wishes of the host.

If the sacred nature of life is not acknowledged in our social law- then we might as well allow murder, rape and theft too.  Why protect life if it has no value-  please recognize that the protection of life is the entire PURPOSE of law and our legal system.  That really has nothing to do with "church" or "religion" because if the law is not established to protect life, then why have it?...

As society we do allow murder and theft.  Most governments reserve the right to kill - the US drone programme for example.  And all governments have the right to take money (taxes) and sometimes land.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
I agree with PriestRunner when he says : We create social laws to protect the community group.  The issue is whether or not a fetus is a part of that community group.  You can make whatever choices you want, but if we accept fetuses as part of our community (at whatever development stage), then yes, we do have a say in whether life is taken from a member of the community.

However I'm still pro choice and have made that choice myself.

For me in this case, I'm against killing people, except in the case of fetuses because they require so much work and investment from the mother-father.

If I dont murder someone and allow them to live, their life is going to have a small impact on my life.

But if I don't abort a fetus, that will affect my life hugely. Hugely.

I realize there is a cognitive dissonance there but I'm so anti-unwanted children I'm willing to take it. 

I know we're supposed to be impersonal here, but raising children and being pregnant is really hard.  If you want the baby then it's also a miracle and a blessing. I just don't see the shortage of children that would make antiabortion laws necessary.

Also if you allow abortion in cases of rape then your argument is as inconsistent as mine.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
. I just don't see the shortage of children that would make antiabortion laws necessary.

While I agree the world is drastically overpopulated, one way to look at a 'shortage of children' would be that for every infant that is adopted in the United States, 36 couples are in line for the next one.  Not trying to change anyone's mind, of course, but just a different perspective.

Many other cultures across the planet do not have such puritanical views on abortion or infantcide of unwanted children as America does.

Cyaphas

• Bristles
Many other cultures across the planet do not have such puritanical views on abortion or infantcide of unwanted children as America does.

They're not infants and they're not babies. You're attempting to do the same thing all of the gender benders have been doing. You can try to change the definitions of words to suit you, but you just look like a blind zealot doing it.

Biology, law (mostly) and society have drawn a pretty hard, obvious line that is birth. I'm surprised I haven't seen the Roe V Wade criminal statistics  brought up or Decree 770. We've seen the other side of the coin on this and it's not pretty.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Jesus christ.

You can hate abortion all you want...

Show me where I have ever publicly posted to hate abortion.

...You can't use your hatred of abortion to control other peoples' choices. I hate bananas, but you can eat them if you want. Your ethical issues with my choices make no difference at all to me. Forced pregnancy and childbirth are utterly barbaric.

So **we** as a social entity can't control other people choices when it comes to theft or murder either?...  You're not robbing me, therefore I have no say in the matter?

We create social laws to protect the community group.  The issue is whether or not a fetus is a part of that community group.  You can make whatever choices you want, but if we accept fetuses as part of our community (at whatever development stage), then yes, we do have a say in whether life is taken from a member of the community.

This argument completely ignores the fact that we HAVE social systems, and have had them for thousands of years.

Church and state are meant to be separate, and sex-based discrimination is illegal. There is no anti-abortion argument I've encountered that doesn't boil down to either a religious principle or a desire to control what women can and can't remove from their own bodies. You think life is sacred? That's cool, but should not affect the law of the land. You don't want me to remove a parasite? OK,make a law that all parasites must remain in place, regardless of the wishes of the host.

If the sacred nature of life is not acknowledged in our social law- then we might as well allow murder, rape and theft too.  Why protect life if it has no value-  please recognize that the protection of life is the entire PURPOSE of law and our legal system.  That really has nothing to do with "church" or "religion" because if the law is not established to protect life, then why have it?...

As society we do allow murder and theft.  Most governments reserve the right to kill - the US drone programme for example.  And all governments have the right to take money (taxes) and sometimes land.

Taxation isn't theft.  Taxation is payment for the privileged of having the large amount of social infrastructure in place that lets you live your life the way that you do.  Paying taxes is entirely voluntary . . . if you choose to opt out of the infrastructure (leave the country) you don't have to pay taxes.  In a democratic country you can choose to run for election to change the rules of taxation if you don't like them.  It's also possible to radically reduce the taxes you pay if you reduce your income and purchasing.

Yes, if you choose to make use of the conditions granted to you by using the infrastructure of a country and then try to avoid paying taxes you'll be in legal trouble.  This is theft - no different than eating a meal at a restaurant and trying to skip out on the bill.

Equating taxation to theft is a poorly thought out argument.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache

They're not infants and they're not babies. You're attempting to do the same thing all of the gender benders have been doing. You can try to change the definitions of words to suit you, but you just look like a blind zealot doing it.

Biology, law (mostly) and society have drawn a pretty hard, obvious line that is birth. I'm surprised I haven't seen the Roe V Wade criminal statistics  brought up or Decree 770. We've seen the other side of the coin on this and it's not pretty.

How do you define infantcide?  It's not uncommon in many cultures. Viewing the world through the overly-restrictive culture of anti-abortion can cloud one's views on what should be acceptable.

Ambergris

• Stubble
Re: Please Take Your Abortion Talk Here; You're Ruining a Perfectly Good Thread
« Reply #282 on: September 08, 2016, 11:19:15 AM »

What? Cage match toddlers is a problem?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #283 on: September 08, 2016, 11:37:36 AM »

What? Cage match toddlers is a problem?

http://nypost.com/2015/09/01/day-care-workers-had-young-kids-brawl-in-fight-club-videos/

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/virginia-day-care-worker-convicted-baby-fight-club-article-1.2497416

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/toddler-fight-club-delaware-daycare-workers-arrested-after-allegedly-encouraging-children-to-punch-each-other

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/03/day-care-toddlers-fight_n_5760656.html

Apparently not for some.

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #284 on: September 08, 2016, 11:37:42 AM »
Sounds like me and my brothers growing up.

Ambergris

• Stubble
« Reply #285 on: September 08, 2016, 12:05:09 PM »

Besides, we eat cabbages, which are alive. Will nobody think of the cabbages??!!

Life in particular instances (this cabbage or that mosquito) as such has little or no "sacred value", and ought to be readily sacrificed for more important values. Life in general, nature, the biosphere, has some value of its own but isn't relevant here. My guess, however, is that this little bit of (I'm sure I'm guessing correctly from the language and the username) catholic moral theology is not leading PtR to being a fruitarian?

One possible move is then to say that it is human life that has absolute value. But this makes your assertion about the law unintuitive, since I and a lot of others are happy that living human non-persons (e.g. zygotes, humans in unrecoverable PVS/serious brain damage etc.) do not have to be protected by the law; many also accept that conscious rational adults have the right to take their own lives if they so choose.

The correct answer is that the greatest value in the world lies in persons. This makes all the moral intuitions come out right. I think it's bloody obvious that zygotes aren't persons, any more than cabbages are. Neither are those in unrecoverable PVS. Conscious, rational adults are full persons. This is why they have the right to take their own lives. Children fall somewhere in between, depending on their capacity. This is why they have some rights and not others.

Duh.

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #286 on: September 08, 2016, 01:09:02 PM »
... Children fall somewhere in between, depending on their capacity. This is why they have some rights and not others.

Duh.

I pretty much stepped out of this thread, but I agree.  Personhood is what is important (we agree on that).  It was the life of a person to which I was referring in your quote.  You recognize that children fall somewhere within personhood but outside of individual autonomy (IE some choices like voting and the capability/stance to end ones own life).  The primary difference between you and I is that I consider a viable fetus a person (I do not consider a zygote a person or an embryo) and as such 'fall somewhere in between', you do not.

Not really sure why "duh" was necessary or what you implying.

And I'm not Catholic.  :)

Thus debate moves to "viable"

Ambergris

• Stubble
« Reply #287 on: September 08, 2016, 07:04:36 PM »

I pretty much stepped out of this thread, but I agree.  Personhood is what is important (we agree on that).  It was the life of a person to which I was referring in your quote.  You recognize that children fall somewhere within personhood but outside of individual autonomy (IE some choices like voting and the capability/stance to end ones own life).  The primary difference between you and I is that I consider a viable fetus a person (I do not consider a zygote a person or an embryo) and as such 'fall somewhere in between', you do not.

OK, this is what happens when I read too many books and end up familiar with the language of catholic moral theology, and then start to see it everywhere. I'm like the man with the catholic moral theology book. You wouldn't be another kind of moral theologian? Is my theologian-o-meter completely off?

I don't know where I would put personhood exactly, but my guess is after infancy (consciousness of some more than minimal kind and the first kindling of language and reasoning) rather than after viability. I don't separate "personhood" and autonomy like you do, rather than seeing personhood as full or partial (it's more that there are rights that come with related capacities and characteristics that humans gradually acquire, particularly consciousness and rationality). I agree that infants are probably not significantly more person-ish than are viable fetuses, but I think this means infants don't have a "right to life" based on partial personhood - the necessary characteristics are missing. However, while killing fetuses is not obviously wrong, people don't like the idea of killing small babies. That is a primitive moral yuck that has nothing to do with their "rights". The problem with the principled application of moral principles in a principled way is that lots of moral intuitions are brute1 - we just think killing (actual) babies is really, really5 bad. Stupid, pointless things that are barely capable of responding to the world, that suck up time and energy...but we lovelovelove them.

It's all beside the point anyway, since you can have an abortion even if the fetus is a person. You don't have to support another person just because they need you to. You just can't have an abortion that involves directly killing the fetus. Unfortunately, fetuses have this habit of dying when you just remove the little bastards from your body. Damn.

So...I'm considerably more interested in clarity than resolution, since the latter is unlikely.

Oh and "Duh" is as in "the above ought to be obvious." Apparently you found it obvious too. Duh.

1 i.e. not derived from a general moral principle. Another response like this is the one to incest, even for individuals who are infertile or using very reliable contraception. Attacking a Picasso with a knife and chopping it up, just for fun.  Burning down Yosemite NP. God, I love footnotes2.
2 Like this footnote.
5 Really.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #288 on: September 13, 2016, 09:49:59 AM »

OK, this is what happens when I read too many books and end up familiar with the language of catholic moral theology, and then start to see it everywhere. I'm like the man with the catholic moral theology book. You wouldn't be another kind of moral theologian? Is my theologian-o-meter completely off?

I don't know where I would put personhood exactly, but my guess is after infancy (consciousness of some more than minimal kind and the first kindling of language and reasoning) rather than after viability. I don't separate "personhood" and autonomy like you do, rather than seeing personhood as full or partial (it's more that there are rights that come with related capacities and characteristics that humans gradually acquire, particularly consciousness and rationality). I agree that infants are probably not significantly more person-ish than are viable fetuses, but I think this means infants don't have a "right to life" based on partial personhood - the necessary characteristics are missing. However, while killing fetuses is not obviously wrong, people don't like the idea of killing small babies. That is a primitive moral yuck that has nothing to do with their "rights". The problem with the principled application of moral principles in a principled way is that lots of moral intuitions are brute1 - we just think killing (actual) babies is really, really5 bad. Stupid, pointless things that are barely capable of responding to the world, that suck up time and energy...but we lovelovelove them.

It's all beside the point anyway, since you can have an abortion even if the fetus is a person. You don't have to support another person just because they need you to. You just can't have an abortion that involves directly killing the fetus. Unfortunately, fetuses have this habit of dying when you just remove the little bastards from your body. Damn.

So...I'm considerably more interested in clarity than resolution, since the latter is unlikely.

Oh and "Duh" is as in "the above ought to be obvious." Apparently you found it obvious too. Duh.

1 i.e. not derived from a general moral principle. Another response like this is the one to incest, even for individuals who are infertile or using very reliable contraception. Attacking a Picasso with a knife and chopping it up, just for fun.  Burning down Yosemite NP. God, I love footnotes2.
2 Like this footnote.
5 Really.

I admire the logical consistency of your argument.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!