Author Topic: Pervert versus Baby killer  (Read 31193 times)

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
Re: Pervert versus Baby killer
« Reply #150 on: December 12, 2017, 07:08:07 PM »
But... what about the 15th amendment?

This is a hallowed Republican vote manipulation tactic.  Implement measures to solve the non-existent problem of voter fraud that 'just happen to' impact black people more.

But we had to close those DMV offices after instituting a voter ID law!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #151 on: December 12, 2017, 07:17:07 PM »

This is a hallowed Republican vote manipulation tactic.  Implement measures to solve the non-existent problem of voter fraud that 'just happen to' impact black people more.

Yeah, but only in counties that are 75% or higher black population.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #152 on: December 12, 2017, 07:25:27 PM »

Yeah, but only in counties that are 75% or higher black population.

Well, they were poor!

As of right now, the race doesn't even look particularly close. I never expected Jones to win, but I thought it might be closer than this.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #153 on: December 12, 2017, 08:34:43 PM »
CNN and Fox are now projecting a Doug Jones win!  Current vote count is 585k vs Moore's 572k, with 91% reporting.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #154 on: December 12, 2017, 08:42:09 PM »
Awesome. Jones won!

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #155 on: December 12, 2017, 11:30:46 PM »
Today liberty won over extreme misogyny and moral depravity (if I want to be rather generous in my assessment of the candidate who embodied the latter two). The title of this post is asinine and always has been. I don't even like Doug Jones, and his campaign was remarkably inept despite the surprising result, but I am still glad that a child molester has not been voted into one of the most powerful positions in this nation.

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #156 on: December 13, 2017, 06:49:19 AM »
We have the votes of black women to thank. When you see that 73% of white men voted for Moore, you start to understand the problem we have with sexual predation. I just don't even know what to say about white women voting for Moore.
Most of my AL (white) women relatives not only voted for Jones, but actively campaigned.
I'm relieved, but also disgusted that it was so close, that 650,000 voted for that perverted nut case.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #157 on: December 13, 2017, 06:55:02 AM »
I am hoping this is a return to sanity.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #158 on: December 13, 2017, 08:11:15 AM »
I am hoping this is a return to sanity.

Probably not. More like black folks turning out to save us, yet again.

Voter suppression is going to be the RNC’s main priority in 2018 and 2020 because of this election. Watch for it, fight it.

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #159 on: December 13, 2017, 08:19:49 AM »
Exactly, Kris.
I'm using this as momentum to join in and make a difference in 2018.  If AL can get out the vote, so can my state (MS).
The dems have GOT to pursue the minority vote, and then ACTUALLY represent them and appreciate them.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #160 on: December 13, 2017, 08:23:10 AM »
I really think the upcoming Supreme Court case on gerrymandering is going to be the single most crucial element of returning to any kind of sane, representative governance in the long term.  In the meantime, THANK YOU, BLACK VOTERS.

surfhb

« Reply #161 on: December 13, 2017, 08:35:12 AM »
If I were FIRED I'd be spending the coming months up into the next election to get people to vote again in these swing states!   

VOTE!   

And get rid of the E College

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #162 on: December 13, 2017, 09:12:07 AM »
We have the votes of black women to thank. When you see that 73% of white men voted for Moore, you start to understand the problem we have with sexual predation. I just don't even know what to say about white women voting for Moore.

I'd question any woman voting for Moore. But fact is, women can be each other's own worst enemies.

I was preyed on by a 60 year old man when I was 16. He went to our church. He'd call me up at home and ask me on dates. Acted like it was perfectly normal. Then one day my mom grabbed the telephone and that was the end of it.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #163 on: December 13, 2017, 09:14:59 AM »

Pretty sure the Supreme Court decision regarding the Voting Rights Act in 2014 addresses these questions.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #164 on: December 13, 2017, 09:18:11 AM »
If I were FIRED I'd be spending the coming months up into the next election to get people to vote again in these swing states!   

VOTE!   

Turning out the vote is admirable. But we're keeping the electoral college. I know it's not popular, particularly because it gave us Trump, but totalling up the popular votes would be a mess because states diverge so much in their registrations, balloting procedures, etc. I'm not persuaded that one vote in Michigan = one vote in TX.

Malloy

• Bristles
« Reply #165 on: December 13, 2017, 09:41:29 AM »

VOTE!   

Turning out the vote is admirable. But we're keeping the electoral college. I know it's not popular, particularly because it gave us Trump, but totalling up the popular votes would be a mess because states diverge so much in their registrations, balloting procedures, etc. I'm not persuaded that one vote in Michigan = one vote in TX.

I agree with talltexan.  The electoral college has its problems, but it also serves as a convenient excuse for a certain kind of progressive voter to abdicate involvement and not vote. "I'm not voting until [my pet issue] is solved [even though solving it would require an amendment to the constitution]."  I see this a lot.  People start talking about getting involved, and then some Debbie Downers say there's no point until we get rid of the electoral college, and everyone piles on, happy to confirm that they were correct all along not to bother voting. 

I think electing a Democrat is a way easier lift than a constitutional amendment.  Let's start there, first.  There are exactly zero mainstream politicians who have abolishing the electoral college as a platform, so I'm not even sure who you'd vote for if that were your political goal. 

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #166 on: December 13, 2017, 10:09:33 AM »
1) The electoral college is freaking ridiculous in this day and age.

2) It isn't going anywhere. Let's start with the stuff that can be changed.

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #167 on: December 13, 2017, 10:47:55 AM »
Most of my AL (white) women relatives not only voted for Jones, but actively campaigned.
I'm relieved, but also disgusted that it was so close, that 650,000 voted for that perverted nut case.

Overall Republican turnout was apparently just 47% of the turnout in the 2016 general election (it was more like 89% for Democrats). There were a whole lot of Republican men and women who just stayed home rather than vote for Moore.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #168 on: December 13, 2017, 10:54:54 AM »

Overall Republican turnout was apparently just 47% of the turnout in the 2016 general election (it was more like 89% for Democrats). There were a whole lot of Republican men and women who just stayed home rather than vote for Moore.

It's still nice to see that Republicans decided to stay home rather than vote for a pedophile.  It would be even nicer to see that same lack of enthusiasm applied to people who are openly racist, homophobic and anti-Muslims.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #169 on: December 13, 2017, 02:32:10 PM »

Pretty sure the Supreme Court decision regarding the Voting Rights Act in 2014 addresses these questions.

Is this Shelby County vs Holder in 2013?   It looks like this case was about a federal law requiring federal oversight of voting practices in certain regions in the US.     Are you suggesting that the SCOTUS decision was a de facto method to circumvent the 15th amendment?

one piece at a time

• Stubble
« Reply #170 on: December 13, 2017, 02:38:11 PM »
Times were different then. Whilst Moore is a loser, even Elvis hit on teenagers in the 60s.

Elvis Presley first met Priscilla on September 13, 1959,[9] during a party at Elvis' home in Bad Nauheim, Germany, while he was serving in the Army.[10] Despite her being 14 years old, she made a huge impression on Elvis with her much older appearance.[11] Elvis allegedly regressed to acting like an "awkward, embarrassed" boy-next-door figure in front of her.[11] However, by the end of the evening he had managed to compose himself.[11]

Despite Priscilla's parents being angered by her late return home during that first meeting and insisting that she would never meet Elvis again,[12] his eagerness for another meeting, and his promise never to bring her home late again,[12] led them to relent. They were frequently together until Elvis left West Germany in March 1960. After Elvis' departure, Priscilla was inundated with requests for interviews from media outlets around the world.[13] She received fan mail from Elvis fans, some nice and some not so nice, as well as mail from "lonesome G.I.'s".[13] Convinced she would never see Elvis again, and with rumors of his ongoing relationship with Nancy Sinatra flying around the gossip magazines, Priscilla believed the romance was over

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #171 on: December 13, 2017, 02:57:03 PM »
Cool.

Elvis wasn't running for public office.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #172 on: December 13, 2017, 03:07:00 PM »
Cool.

Elvis wasn't running for public office.

Also, "then" in your example was 1959.

Leigh Corfman was 14 years old in 1979 when Roy Moore approached her. I am Leigh Corfman's age. Roy Moore was 32 at the time. I assure you, things were not different "then." If I had had a 32 year-old man hit on me at that age, I would have been terrified, disgusted, and would have run to my parents immediately seeking protection and help.

I'm just shaking my head at your statement, One piece at a time. Seriously.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #173 on: December 13, 2017, 03:07:34 PM »
Times were different then. Whilst Moore is a loser, even Elvis hit on teenagers in the 60s.

Moore was being a pedophile in the 80s . . .  what year exactly do you believe times stopped accepting pedophilia?

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #174 on: December 13, 2017, 03:37:35 PM »
The age of consent in Canada was only recently raised to 16 from 14. There is a 5 year age exception for 14 and 15 year old, so relations with 19 and 20 year olds are acceptable. As societies standards evolve, so do our laws. Elvis was (only) ten years older than Priscilla, presumably the relationship was consensual (as far as I'm aware) and he wasn't a holder of public office. Not saying it was necessarily okay, but there are a lot of factors that go into determining whether a relationship is criminal or not. One of the key points of the Moore case was that that he assaulted teenagers under half his age, and used his authority to silence them. The large age difference, position of power, and non consent in addition to his victims being teenagers were what made his actions so despicable.

surfhb

« Reply #175 on: December 13, 2017, 03:55:43 PM »
Elvis was an ignorant hillbilly too.   

one piece at a time

• Stubble
« Reply #176 on: December 13, 2017, 04:06:07 PM »

Moore was being a pedophile in the 80s . . .  what year exactly do you believe times stopped accepting pedophilia?

People who grew up in the 80s don't tolerate it, but some of my "friends who were girls" at school (15/16 year-olds in the 90's) would go to raves with late 20s blokes who were into the scene. I am chipping in here with observations only, not judgement (even the Moore being a loser bit is a pun).

one piece at a time

• Stubble
« Reply #177 on: December 13, 2017, 04:13:22 PM »
One of the key points of the Moore case was that that he assaulted teenagers under half his age, and used his authority to silence them. The large age difference, position of power, and non consent in addition to his victims being teenagers were what made his actions so despicable.

Thanks. Here in Aus it has been reported pretty vaguely as "hitting on teenagers", ie he had consent to date them, but failed in attempts to get consent for further "relations". We don't have dating culture here so it is all very foreign to me.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #178 on: December 13, 2017, 04:17:35 PM »
In the 90’s Jerry Seinfeld dated a 17 year old when he was 39.  Prince groomed his first wife from the time she was 16, even becoming her legal guardian at 17.

My point?  Adult men chasing teenage girls is neither old or new.   I’m just glad society is finally deciding it isn’t acceptable. 

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #179 on: December 13, 2017, 04:20:38 PM »
One of the key points of the Moore case was that that he assaulted teenagers under half his age, and used his authority to silence them. The large age difference, position of power, and non consent in addition to his victims being teenagers were what made his actions so despicable.

Thanks. Here in Aus it has been reported pretty vaguely as "hitting on teenagers", ie he had consent to date them, but failed in attempts to get consent for further "relations". We don't have dating culture here so it is all very foreign to me.

Yeah, no. If that's what is being reported in Aus, it's totally wrong.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #180 on: December 13, 2017, 04:26:28 PM »

35 year old Roy Moore drove a 14 year old girl out to a cabin in the woods, made some smoochy-smoochy, then took off his pants and placed her hand on his erect penis, over his tighty-whitey underwear. She freaked and asked to go home.

On the bright side, he took her home instead of raping her.  So maybe he's not all bad?

If that had been my daughter, Roy Moore and I would have had an altercation resulting in at least one of us in a jail cell.

one piece at a time

• Stubble
« Reply #181 on: December 13, 2017, 04:36:57 PM »

35 year old...cabin in the woods...took off his pants

Yeah ok, those are the key facts. In my head (due to lack of research) it was more "~28 year old, back of the club, hand on butt" type situation.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #182 on: December 13, 2017, 05:06:22 PM »
Hate to be that guy, but we're all using the term "pedophile" incorrectly. A pedophile is someone who is attracted to children, generally assumed to mean prepubescent children, which his victims were not. Also, pedophilia is a psychological condition which means someone can be a pedophile whether they act on their desire or not. A more accurate term would be child molester or sexual abuser of children. Or spawn of Satan.

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #183 on: December 13, 2017, 05:36:14 PM »
What gets me is the defense from evangelicals. ... that he was looking for purity in a future wife.
This is how these sick fucks think and we have to stop them.
This was a first good step. This ass still hasn't conceded, waiting for a sign from god. We all dodged a huge bullet here, ya know?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #184 on: December 14, 2017, 07:43:17 AM »

Just curious: what do you mean when you say that where you live "you don't have dating culture here"? Anything goes?

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #185 on: December 14, 2017, 08:49:22 AM »

Just curious: what do you mean when you say that where you live "you don't have dating culture here"? Anything goes?

The Nordic countries don't have a "dating culture" either, although there are som changes in the youngest part of the population because of influence from Hollywood. If you meet someone you like here, you "just happen" to run into them a lot, toghether with friends, at parties, at organized acitivies, at school, etc. After a while, if you like eachother, you will hang out more, and agree to do things together, like go to a movie, or share a cup of coffee. It is probably more a difference in semantics than content, but we don't call it dating, and we don't have all these "first date do this, second date do that" rules.

I have never been on a single date in my life. Sure, I've been to the cinema with my husband, but in my head that is different from a date.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #186 on: December 14, 2017, 09:12:12 AM »

The Nordic countries don't have a "dating culture" either, although there are som changes in the youngest part of the population because of influence from Hollywood. If you meet someone you like here, you "just happen" to run into them a lot, toghether with friends, at parties, at organized acitivies, at school, etc. After a while, if you like eachother, you will hang out more, and agree to do things together, like go to a movie, or share a cup of coffee. It is probably more a difference in semantics than content, but we don't call it dating, and we don't have all these "first date do this, second date do that" rules.

I have never been on a single date in my life. Sure, I've been to the cinema with my husband, but in my head that is different from a date.

Western Europe really doesn't either, near as I can tell. France doesn't, anyway.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #187 on: December 14, 2017, 09:34:50 AM »

What you're describing is what my entire dating life consisted of.  I'm not aware of any first date/second date rules.  :P

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #188 on: December 14, 2017, 09:43:14 AM »
I'm not aware of any first date/second date rules.  :P

The rules are a creation of Hollywood, and don't reflect the truth on the ground in modern America.

The truth on the ground is that you use tinder to meet strangers in coffee shops, then if they're hot enough and don't seem weird you have sex afterwards.  At least that's my impression, I've been married since before hook up apps were a thing.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #189 on: December 14, 2017, 09:48:42 AM »
I am not excited AT ALL about the Alabama results.

I am actually crushed and saddened that virtually half the state, including some who believed the allegations of sexual abuse, STILL voted for this guy. I mean, I'm not sure how much worse a candidate could be. Even his horse dislikes him! (follow the horse on twitter)

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #190 on: December 14, 2017, 09:51:29 AM »
My impression is the dating culture is dying out in American as well.  I dated a bit in the traditional way, but I was permanently attached by the time dating cultures started to decline.  Overhearing college students bemoan the hook-up type culture they are navigating makes me think dating should make a comeback.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #191 on: December 14, 2017, 09:52:28 AM »
I am not excited AT ALL about the Alabama results.

I am actually crushed and saddened that virtually half the state, including some who believed the allegations of sexual abuse, STILL voted for this guy. I mean, I'm not sure how much worse a candidate could be. Even his horse dislikes him! (follow the horse on twitter)

Dude's a shitty rider, and a mean one.  Which should surprise no one.

ETA: Re Alabama, yeah...my demographic (white women) has not exactly been covering itself in glory during recent elections, but their vote for Moore takes the cake.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #192 on: December 14, 2017, 10:14:01 AM »

VOTE!   

The Electoral College guarantees that a vote in California is worth less than a vote in South Dakota. So, it's not like it's equal now.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #193 on: December 14, 2017, 10:17:56 AM »
Yeah Electoral College is trash, most of us agree on that. It's just impossible, or close to impossible, to change it in this polarized environment. If one party wants a change, the other party will automatically oppose it, figuring "if they want it, it must be bad for us!"

Nationwide voting would be easy to do now. It would encourage HIGHER voter turnout, which isn't that the main objective?? To encourage people to vote and get involved?? I mean, who would argue against that? (well, I guess Republicans would) 

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #194 on: December 14, 2017, 10:24:29 AM »

I think your idea of dating culture in the US might draw heavily from movies, as well. What you describe is more often what happens. Of course, I never was good at social rules and my husband I went straight from shrugging when people asked me what was up (clearly he actually talked to me, so there must be something, given how quiet he was, but we weren't even holding hands off the dance floor) to living together with a five day transition.

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #195 on: December 14, 2017, 10:25:13 AM »

VOTE!   

The Electoral College guarantees that a vote in California is worth less than a vote in South Dakota. So, it's not like it's equal now.

Part of that's due to limit of the seats in the House to 435 though. Up until the early 1900's the number of seats was regularly increased and distributed according to population growth keeping the representation ratio more even across the country in terms of people per representative: https://www.thoughtco.com/members-in-the-house-of-representatives-3368242.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #196 on: December 14, 2017, 10:39:40 AM »
One House Rep from California represents as many people as one Senator from Alaska.

cliffhanger

• Stubble
« Reply #197 on: December 14, 2017, 10:53:21 AM »
One House Rep from California represents as many people as one Senator from Alaska.

One House Rep from California represents as many people as one House Rep from Alaska too

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #198 on: December 14, 2017, 11:14:25 AM »
Hate to be that guy, but we're all using the term "pedophile" incorrectly. A pedophile is someone who is attracted to children, generally assumed to mean prepubescent children, which his victims were not. Also, pedophilia is a psychological condition which means someone can be a pedophile whether they act on their desire or not. A more accurate term would be child molester or sexual abuser of children. Or spawn of Satan.

I see him more as a serial sexual predator.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #199 on: December 14, 2017, 11:25:47 AM »

VOTE!   

This is what my FIRE looks like. Still in Alabama celebrating the Jones win! Of course, the RE portion will be short-lived once I get a campaign job.

It's not only swing states that are important. Especially when you consider that Alabama has swung. Lots of areas are in contention, and there are local races going on all the time. People in blue areas tend to think there's nothing for them to do, but aside from remote phone banking, donating, and postcard-writing, motivating people in your area is still important. You never know where they might move to a year from now.

I really think the upcoming Supreme Court case on gerrymandering is going to be the single most crucial element of returning to any kind of sane, representative governance in the long term.  In the meantime, THANK YOU, BLACK VOTERS.

I have been anxiously waiting for Kennedy to do his part in the gerrymandering case.

Everyone I spoke to on Tuesday had voted or was planning to vote. It was great.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!