Author Topic: OP Is the Only One Who Doesn't See It  (Read 179132 times)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
Re: OP Is the Only One Who Doesn't See It
« Reply #350 on: February 12, 2018, 02:54:08 AM »
Mind. Blown. Glad you've moved on @partgypsy

It wasn't till @marty998 and I were talking about this that I realised (well, he pointed out) that you are @partgypsy. You'll always be partygypsy to me!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #351 on: February 12, 2018, 03:06:23 AM »
Thought of this thread tonight while watching Dirty Money: Payday on Netflix.

Scott Tucker is the king of "OP is the only one who doesn't see it".

Despite a record judgment from the FTC and a 16-year prison sentence for illegal payday lending, he remains convinced that he is the victim.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #352 on: February 12, 2018, 06:20:38 AM »

It wasn't till @marty998 and I were talking about this that I realised (well, he pointed out) that you are @partgypsy. You'll always be partygypsy to me!

: )  It's because on another forum I wanted to use gypsy as my handle, but someone already had it, so I used part-gypsy instead. I'm ok with being partygypsy too!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #353 on: February 12, 2018, 06:26:28 AM »

OMG, me too! Mind.Blown. Sorry, "part" gypsy. This changes everything!

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #354 on: February 12, 2018, 06:51:28 AM »

OMG add me to that list too!

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #355 on: February 12, 2018, 12:08:13 PM »

I've always read it as "party gypsy" as well!  Oh that is great!  If you ever want to change your handle, go for PartyGypsy!

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #356 on: February 12, 2018, 01:56:04 PM »

I've always read it as "party gypsy" as well!  Oh that is great!  If you ever want to change your handle, go for PartyGypsy!

I feel like my life has been a lie.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #357 on: February 12, 2018, 02:17:19 PM »

Agreed.  I can't even trust my own eyes.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #358 on: February 12, 2018, 05:59:57 PM »

So, what you're all saying is that, in this case, the OP is virtually the only one who did see it. :P

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #359 on: February 13, 2018, 08:03:58 AM »

So, what you're all saying is that, in this case, the OP is virtually the only one who did see it. :P

That's it. Thread over. We're done. We've won! Or lost. I can't really tell.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #360 on: February 13, 2018, 08:38:09 AM »

lol. And by the way I'M Keyser Soze

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #361 on: March 01, 2018, 03:54:33 PM »
PTF, fo sho

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #362 on: March 01, 2018, 03:57:02 PM »
This thread got so great so fast, I'm sort of dizzy.

rockeTree

• Bristles
« Reply #363 on: March 13, 2018, 08:59:35 AM »
Dear Prudence today...  https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/03/dear-prudence-help-im-about-to-quit-my-dream-job.html

Second writer just wants to be able to throw away his higher salary on his expensive hobbies and get his wife to pay for his other priorities (his folks) because she has cheap hobbies and saves much of her smaller salary. Bonus: he mocks her when she helps out her family out of her salary.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #364 on: March 13, 2018, 09:09:54 AM »
Dear Prudence today...  https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/03/dear-prudence-help-im-about-to-quit-my-dream-job.html

Second writer just wants to be able to throw away his higher salary on his expensive hobbies and get his wife to pay for his other priorities (his folks) because she has cheap hobbies and saves much of her smaller salary. Bonus: he mocks her when she helps out her family out of her salary.

I dunno, he seemed somewhat aware that he was going to look stupid, but felt it was worth the cost. Whether or not he's willing to cut back on his own crap to make up for it ....

Edit: the last question in that post totally gutted me

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #365 on: March 13, 2018, 05:44:16 PM »

If I were the wife, I'd tell him to sell some of his toys if he wants to help his parents. And I'd wonder why he thinks it's OK to demand my money for his parents, and why he thinks they have a say in our marital finances.  Just because you ate all your candy at once and I saved some of mine does not make me obligated to give you any.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #366 on: March 14, 2018, 10:37:04 AM »

If I were the wife, I'd tell him to sell some of his toys if he wants to help his parents. And I'd wonder why he thinks it's OK to demand my money for his parents, and why he thinks they have a say in our marital finances.  Just because you ate all your candy at once and I saved some of mine does not make me obligated to give you any.
It's totally reasonable for him to request it!  It's just also totally reasonable for her to require an established payment plan and acceptable interest rate... she might want to do a credit check, too.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #367 on: March 14, 2018, 12:36:05 PM »
It would suck to be her, in that scenario. She has to balance the ridiculousness of being asked for money after being the frugal one and the one mocked for helping her family against her (possible) desire to maintain her marriage. Tough spot to be in.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #368 on: March 15, 2018, 01:57:07 AM »
I'd need that request to come with a BIG helping of "I recognise I was being an ass and I'm sorry" and "this is how I'm going to pay you back and sort out my financial shit". The OP seems to focus on losing face rather than having been an ass.

Also, your family are Facebook stalking you and demanding money? Fewer surprises that OP turned out with a blind spot being raised in that environment.

rockeTree

• Bristles
« Reply #369 on: March 15, 2018, 03:16:35 AM »
Yeah, it’s not a crazy request on it’s face except the tone is bad and the choices they’ve made about setting up their finances could mean they already don’t really respect each other’s approach to money much.

Both my family and my husbands family have needed cash, not huge amounts, a few times and it’s more likely to come from my personal accounts than his because I fritter less away but we have a joint plan that acknowledges that and has a joint budget category for bailouts of this sort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache

Sibley

• Walrus Stache

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #372 on: March 15, 2018, 08:49:23 AM »
I'd like to submit the entire r/ChoosingBeggars subreddit.

A couple of highlights:

I need a free 100-mile bus trip for 20 people

I can't afford food but I can buy festival tickets for hundreds of dollars

Ooo, sounds promising.

The nerve of that lady in the first post! I mean, she actually had some people volunteer and offer help, and all she could say was NEXT!!!

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #373 on: March 15, 2018, 10:10:44 AM »

A couple of highlights:

Ooo, sounds promising.

The nerve of that lady in the first post! I mean, she actually had some people volunteer and offer help, and all she could say was NEXT!!!
I was pretty amazed she could say "Next!" expecting to get a better offer. 

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #374 on: March 15, 2018, 10:21:01 AM »

A couple of highlights:

Ooo, sounds promising.

I'm amazed that people kept offering to help!

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #375 on: March 15, 2018, 10:22:18 AM »

A couple of highlights:

Ooo, sounds promising.

Right? I would have been SOOOO tempted to offer EXACTLY what she needed and then not show up.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #376 on: March 15, 2018, 02:19:50 PM »

A couple of highlights:

Ooo, sounds promising.

Right? I would have been SOOOO tempted to offer EXACTLY what she needed and then not show up.

I just saw a few of the Reddit comments and they were hilarious: "if she's so devout, why not just let Jesus take the wheel?" NEXT!

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #377 on: March 15, 2018, 02:42:14 PM »

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #378 on: March 16, 2018, 10:16:46 PM »
It's for church, honey. Don't need the attitude. NEXT!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #379 on: March 18, 2018, 01:49:31 AM »
2. Repeated assertions about her own awesomeness

Oh, + fucking 1.

I've read journals on here with fewer personal pronouns.

Yes, I'm 40 and I have been in perfect shape and health my entire life - in the gym all the time, eating only healthy stuff, always watching my lifestyle. So, I look and feel 30 - inside and out and better than many 25-year olds. I get a lot of dates but I'm picky because I worked hard for everything in my life. Could I just have any man that comes into my life, actually YES - I have many of those options but for what? -Just to have a mediocre sperm donor that's lukewarm about how he feels about me, isn't super healthy, mediocre looks and finances, and also looking for a second mother - NO THANKS! I have friends that have those kinds of men in their life - no thanks!  This may sound selfish, yet again but here it is: - I look great and I will say life is easier as a beautiful person. I want a gorgeous child and I get to choose that. With money, I can do enough on my own without a deadbeat man-child around. I don't have the time and energy to raise a 40+ year old man that never wants to grow up. ... anyway... thank you for your input. The experience on this forum has been quite eye-opening and terrifying as to how evil some people can be.

And I am the most caring, kind person I know (I know it may not look that way from these posts but I am), so many of my local and out-of-state friends offered to help and that's so heartwarming.

As I said, I am an immigrant who started at negative in a brand new country and English isn't my native language, but I do speak 3 other ones - two of them fluently...

Of course I will survive - I'm the strongest person I know, I am a fighter and I have full confidence in my health and ability to get a well=paying job and hold it down.

If she is so convinced of her own awesomeness at absolutely everything, why is she on here asking for our permission, then casting aspersions when she doesn't get it?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #380 on: March 18, 2018, 02:18:29 AM »
Holy shit, it’s terrifying that you can successfully survive four decades with that little self-awareness!

*grabs popcorn*

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #381 on: March 18, 2018, 07:18:33 AM »
I understand the sentiment, and as a mother of two handicapped kids (with no genetic cause), I could pile onto the discussion about preparredness. But since Eva_Eva has a thread on this forum where this discussion could be taken in the open, and where she could be allowed to defend herself, I don't thing it is OK to have another discussion in a different thread. Especially when it is more mocking than discussion.

Please keep things sivil.

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
« Reply #382 on: March 18, 2018, 08:26:16 AM »
Since you mentioned it, something that occurred to me reading that other thread is that the likelihood of having a Downs Syndrome baby is much higher above a certain age.  From the tone of the OP this is largely going to be an unacceptable turn of events since there is often a real guilt-factor and personalization for the parent where that occurs; they blame themselves even if that is not warranted.  The Downs baby will require enormous effort and special lifelong care.  I don't think the poster is considering anything less than perfection.  This comment is not worth posting on Eva's thread, I can hear the tomatoes being hurled at my head already in her replies so I won't bother. 

She is really not seeking an understanding of all the nuances that go into this decision from a broad and varied audience in order to come to a sound conclusion.  She should just post her dream on facebook and collect the likes.   

Since this thread is entirely about other threads it is logical that those threads are discussed here.  That it is our own forum makes it a little stickier, but nonetheless that is the fact.     

fredbear

• Stubble
« Reply #383 on: March 18, 2018, 09:11:24 AM »

Yes, I'm 40 and I have been in perfect shape and health my entire life - in the gym all the time, eating only healthy stuff, always watching my lifestyle. So, I look and feel 30 - inside and out and better than many 25-year olds. I get a lot of dates but I'm picky because I worked hard for everything in my life. Could I just have any man that comes into my life, actually YES - I have many of those options but for what? -Just to have a mediocre sperm donor that's lukewarm about how he feels about me, isn't super healthy, mediocre looks and finances, and also looking for a second mother - NO THANKS! I have friends that have those kinds of men in their life - no thanks!  This may sound selfish, yet again but here it is: - I look great and I will say life is easier as a beautiful person. I want a gorgeous child and I get to choose that. With money, I can do enough on my own without a deadbeat man-child around. I don't have the time and energy to raise a 40+ year old man that never wants to grow up. ... anyway... thank you for your input. The experience on this forum has been quite eye-opening and terrifying as to how evil some people can be.

Pity she can't fissiparate.  The world would be so much better off. 

As it is, the genetics of looks is not all that assured; we all know fabulously sensational movie-star couples that somehow fail to produce offspring that are 11 on the Celestial Beauty Scale.  "I want a gorgeous child and I get to choose that"?  How is this not monstrous hubris?  How will a small child who (of necessity, given this mother) has sub-maternal-quality genes be treated by a mother whose perfection is publicly announced?

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #384 on: March 18, 2018, 01:29:02 PM »
I think she was mostly misunderstood, and that English isn't her first language.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #385 on: March 18, 2018, 01:50:46 PM »
I think she was mostly misunderstood, and that English isn't her first language.

I don't think she was misunderstood.  She keeps calling the people who provide any caution for financial planning "evil."  And she says, "I have zero concerns right now and I will financially prepare to deal with problems when they arise, not before."  So then why is she on this forum asking for input if she has no concerns and doesn't want to plan for any potential problems?  I agree with englishteacheralex and mustachepungoeshere.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #386 on: March 18, 2018, 02:06:09 PM »

I don't think she was misunderstood.  She keeps calling the people who provide any caution for financial planning "evil."  And she says, "I have zero concerns right now and I will financially prepare to deal with problems when they arise, not before."  So then why is she on this forum asking for input if she has no concerns and doesn't want to plan for any potential problems?  I agree with englishteacheralex and mustachepungoeshere.
Wow! I'm so glad I found this. The mother-to-be in question made what I thought was an unnecessarily snarky comment. When I called her out, whoa, did I get a load of [mostly irrelevant] shit dumped on my head! I gave myself a 24 hour time out before responding, but I'm still fuming. Thanks to this thread for providing a much-needed pressure relief valve. Whew! I needed that!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #387 on: March 18, 2018, 03:40:27 PM »
I understand the sentiment, and as a mother of two handicapped kids (with no genetic cause), I could pile onto the discussion about preparredness. But since Eva_Eva has a thread on this forum where this discussion could be taken in the open, and where she could be allowed to defend herself, I don't thing it is OK to have another discussion in a different thread. Especially when it is more mocking than discussion.

This.

I think mocking a member here "behind their back" violates forum rule #1, Don't Be A Jerk.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #388 on: March 18, 2018, 03:46:16 PM »
I'm feeling guilty. Gonna delete my snarky post.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #389 on: March 18, 2018, 05:37:16 PM »
Okay. I have also deleted my post.

But, honest question, why is the Anti-Mustiachian Wall of Shame & Comedy allowed? It's okay to mock people on the internet, so long as they aren't members here?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #390 on: March 18, 2018, 05:40:39 PM »
It's funny. Whenever I see this thread, I immediately think of a bunch of posts on the MMM forum that I would class as "OP doesn't get it." And I always laughed at the thought that someday, someone would link one to this thread.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #391 on: March 18, 2018, 05:44:26 PM »
It's funny. Whenever I see this thread, I immediately think of a bunch of posts on the MMM forum that I would class as "OP doesn't get it." And I always laughed at the thought that someday, someone would link one to this thread.

I kinda thought that's what the thread was originally for, but later branched out to the larger world. Guess I should have read the whole thing. Well, whoops ;)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #392 on: March 18, 2018, 05:54:25 PM »
Okay. I have also deleted my post.

But, honest question, why is the Anti-Mustiachian Wall of Shame & Comedy allowed? It's okay to mock people on the internet, so long as they aren't members here?

I'm sure the line between the two varies for everyone, but for me, if you're mocking someone where they are reasonably likely to read what you've written, that's over the line of nasty behaviour. Whereas writing "my coworker thinks I should buy a bigger car for my dogs, LOL" in Overheard at Work isn't likely to be read by said coworker.

I would also posit that there is a big difference between someone writing "my coworkers are so spendy! they all buy lunch every day and drive SUVs!" versus "let's all mock this woman because she thinks she's attractive". One feels more... shitty... than the other to me.

But these are my personal opinions, others may feel differently.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #393 on: March 19, 2018, 01:21:01 AM »

This.

I think mocking a member here "behind their back" violates forum rule #1, Don't Be A Jerk.
Pretty sure I'm not mocking her, but I appreciate your point, gaja. I re-read my comment above and I'm going to let it stand. If anyone thinks otherwise, I'm willing to listen respectfully.

As to keeping things civil, the fact that many people have taken the time to write thoughtful comments in her journal that are based on real-life experience and a willingness to help, only to have them be rejected (and not politely) makes it perfectly okay to move their frustrations to this thread. it is patently obvious that she doesn't "get" the enormity of what she wants approval to do in any circumstance, let alone with her precarious finances. That's what this thread is for.

I appreciate your comments, HAH and gaja. I'm going to think about my response to E_E for another day, but I will not let it pass undefended.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
OP Is the Only One Who Doesn't See It
« Reply #394 on: March 19, 2018, 01:21:06 AM »
I would also posit that there is a big difference between someone writing "my coworkers are so spendy! they all buy lunch every day and drive SUVs!" versus "let's all mock this woman because she thinks she's attractive". One feels more... shitty... than the other to me.

I don’t understand how one of those things is any better than the other.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 01:22:40 AM by grantmeaname »

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #395 on: March 19, 2018, 01:24:55 AM »

If there's no difference to you, there's no difference to you. I was attempting to answer Sailor Sam's question from my point of view.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #396 on: March 19, 2018, 09:40:18 AM »

I don't know about better or worse, but this is a financial forum.  It seems more appropriate to make light of financial decisions.

Brining it back to finances, more attractive people do make more money on average.  If attractive people are more likely to have attractive children, then you're giving your children a head start financially by finding another attractive person to procreate with.

http://www.businessinsider.com/a-few-surprising-facts-about-physical-attractiveness-and-income-2011-11

This would fall under, I don't agree with how the world works here, but since I know how it works, I'm going to try to take advantage of it.  Which I think is acceptable.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #397 on: March 19, 2018, 10:11:32 AM »
This would fall under, I don't agree with how the world works here, but since I know how it works, I'm going to try to take advantage of it.  Which I think is acceptable.
I think it is more than acceptable. It's learning the rules so you can use them to your advantage. Isn't that the mustachian way?

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #398 on: March 19, 2018, 01:22:42 PM »
The thing about beauty, there's no guarantees. I think of this when I saw Dan Quayle and his wife. they are both good looking, but their kids, are kind of goofy looking. And I've seen families where the kids are gorgeous, but the individual parents, plain (maybe just didn't age well?).   

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/photo/dan-quayle-with-his-family-high-res-stock-photography/576827568

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
« Reply #399 on: March 19, 2018, 02:57:32 PM »
The thing about beauty, there's no guarantees. I think of this when I saw Dan Quayle and his wife. they are both good looking, but their kids, are kind of goofy looking. And I've seen families where the kids are gorgeous, but the individual parents, plain (maybe just didn't age well?).   

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/photo/dan-quayle-with-his-family-high-res-stock-photography/576827568

I always thought that about Demi Moore and Bruce Willis.  The brood didn’t quite catch all the gorgeousness.