Author Topic: OP Is the Only One Who Doesn't See It  (Read 179203 times)

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
Re: OP Is the Only One Who Doesn't See It
« Reply #550 on: July 14, 2020, 06:27:49 AM »
I'll add: even if the letter was written by a troll, Ask A Manager should still make the statement zHe did for the benefit of others.

I'm forty, but--being male--cannot imagine receiving that sort of attention from an 18-yo.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #551 on: July 15, 2020, 11:39:41 AM »
It is FAR from the craziest letter that blogger has published, and sometimes in much wilder cases other colleagues comment to support the OP's story. I had no trouble believing it.

acepedro45

• Bristles
« Reply #552 on: July 15, 2020, 06:53:46 PM »
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=320204

Do I dare take my 4-year-old Corolla on a long road trip? Will the wheels fall off? Will we all die in a fire? Will I die of thirst on the side of the highway?

Sadly, it’s not just the op who can’t see it. A large number of the commentariat advise renting a car over the perils of a just barely broken in Corolla.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #553 on: July 16, 2020, 07:26:40 AM »
The car is a 2016 corolla with 125,000 miles.

I'm hardly a Mustachian, think of me as half-ass rather than badass. But my 2009 Camry had the same number of miles in 2019 as this person's does. That is a heck-of-a-lot of daily driving.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #555 on: July 29, 2020, 11:38:55 AM »
This is an indirect OP doesn't see it. The manager, not the person who wrote in.

Original: https://www.askamanager.org/2020/06/my-manager-named-joseph-stalin-employee-of-the-month.html

Update: https://www.askamanager.org/2020/07/updates-joseph-stalin-sleeping-during-car-rides-and-more.html
Wow! Glad it seems to have been resolved. (Dicey shakes head and is super duper extra glad she is FIRE.) Just wow.

acepedro45

• Bristles
« Reply #556 on: August 11, 2020, 10:10:56 PM »
My 9-year-old (an age where little tummies must be especially shielded from subversive foods) ate an Indian curry at a friend's house and loved it. How can I help his parents (two doctors no less!!) better understand the risks of trying new foods?

https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/08/parenting-indian-food-bubble-covid-families-judgement.html?fbclid=IwAR1yrGg1o_Y_uz1r2fFBzWyWazDKXWrNzUX6Y4Ou9AK6zYLBvd8zVHdG06w

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #557 on: August 12, 2020, 02:16:38 AM »
My 9-year-old (an age where little tummies must be especially shielded from subversive foods) ate an Indian curry at a friend's house and loved it. How can I help his parents (two doctors no less!!) better understand the risks of trying new foods?

https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/08/parenting-indian-food-bubble-covid-families-judgement.html?fbclid=IwAR1yrGg1o_Y_uz1r2fFBzWyWazDKXWrNzUX6Y4Ou9AK6zYLBvd8zVHdG06w

How do Indian children even grow up to become Indian Doctors, being fed delicious* curries? Clearly the solution is to only have playdates at OP's house, where you can make sure your Poor Precious Baby isn't exposed to "flavour".

*So delicious PPB ate "a lot"

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #558 on: August 12, 2020, 06:17:41 AM »

"My wife thinks it is going to look like a racial problem."

Ah, your wife is too nice to tell you stop being a racist prick!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #559 on: August 12, 2020, 06:28:08 AM »

I’m sure it’s perfectly fine for Little Precious to stuff himself with nice, “normal” foods like McDonald’s happy meals, dinosaur-shaped frozen chicken nuggets, and day-glo orange macaroni and powdered “cheese” in little microwave cups.

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #560 on: August 12, 2020, 06:41:57 AM »
Jeez! I would be  t h r i l l e d  if my 8yo kid came home saying he tried and loved curry & lentils. What a (racist) tool!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #561 on: August 12, 2020, 11:01:38 AM »
Jeez! I would be  t h r i l l e d  if my 8yo kid came home saying he tried and loved curry & lentils. What a (racist) tool!

Little kids can be so conservative about their food choices, he should be glad his kid is open to new foods.  Two doctors are not going to poison his kid.  Of course if the food at home is monotonous and boring, he may be unhappy if the kid starts wanting more choices and more interesting flavours.  ;-)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #562 on: August 12, 2020, 11:50:08 AM »
I presume OP thinks that "curry" = vindaloo and that Indian children spend their entire childhood in a perpetual state of digestive distress. I add my voices to the ones who are amazed that their response to "Your child tried some new food (and vegetables!) and really liked it!" wasn't "WOW! I never would have thought it, but that's GREAT!" Or, at the very least, "Gosh, I'm surprised! I would have thought curry would be a bit spicy for kids. But I'm glad he liked it!" And then the Indian doctors-who-should-know-better could have explained the existence of chicken korma.

Also, LOL that the wife thinks he should drop it because a conversation would look racist.........but the boys should only play at their place.

As an aside: "Both of Neil’s parents are doctors, so this seemed like a safe decision." Wot? Doctors (i.e. people who must be actually meeting large numbers of ill people) are the LAST people I'd want to be seeing at the moment. I know they're supposed to have PPE, but inadequate provision is widely publicised and it only takes a moment of poor use or bad luck to get infected. OP clearly has a bizarre idea of what's risky in the world at the moment.

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #563 on: August 12, 2020, 01:04:32 PM »
As an aside: "Both of Neil’s parents are doctors, so this seemed like a safe decision." Wot? Doctors (i.e. people who must be actually meeting large numbers of ill people) are the LAST people I'd want to be seeing at the moment. I know they're supposed to have PPE, but inadequate provision is widely publicised and it only takes a moment of poor use or bad luck to get infected. OP clearly has a bizarre idea of what's risky in the world at the moment.

It could be an old letter, you know, sent in pre-COVID times, but the publication date didn't hit until now...

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #564 on: August 12, 2020, 01:09:30 PM »

It could be an old letter, you know, sent in pre-COVID times, but the publication date didn't hit until now...

The editor put COVID in the title, though.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #565 on: August 12, 2020, 01:12:35 PM »

Then why would the letter say, and I quote, "A few weeks ago, we decided to open our bubble to include the family of “Neil,” Chris’s best friend. Both of Neil’s parents are doctors, so this seemed like a safe decision."?

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #566 on: August 13, 2020, 09:13:56 PM »
Not only are they racist, but they used the phrase 'little tummies'. I hate these people.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #567 on: August 14, 2020, 07:48:07 AM »
Another from from Dear Prudence.

I flushed my wife's birth control pills because she wasn't ready to start trying for a baby. Now she's acting weird, so I want her to give up her phone and car so we can improve our communication.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/08/dear-prudence-flushed-wifes-birth-control-unfair-reaction.html

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #568 on: August 14, 2020, 07:55:38 AM »

I flushed my wife's birth control pills because she wasn't ready to start trying for a baby. Now she's acting weird, so I want her to give up her phone and car so we can improve our communication.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/08/dear-prudence-flushed-wifes-birth-control-unfair-reaction.html

I read this the other day - UGH.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #569 on: August 14, 2020, 11:35:47 AM »

Oh my goodness, that is really devastatingly sad. The poor wife. She's clearly thinking about/trying to leave him and afraid that he will stop/imprison/hurt her. I really hope he realises what he's actually done.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #570 on: August 15, 2020, 01:33:17 AM »
It takes a long time to leave someone who is like that . . . but she will figure out how to squirrel money away through cash back when she pays for groceries and other discreet methods, and eventually she can escape. Hopefully she got herself a Depo Provera shot right after the flushing of the pills.

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #571 on: August 15, 2020, 05:52:51 AM »

Then why would the letter say, and I quote, "A few weeks ago, we decided to open our bubble to include the family of “Neil,” Chris’s best friend. Both of Neil’s parents are doctors, so this seemed like a safe decision."?

LOL - my bad! I didn't re-read the letter before posting. Forgot that detail.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #572 on: August 21, 2020, 08:21:25 AM »
Indeed the comments on that "flushing the birth control" one are pretty illuminating.

rosaz

• Stubble
« Reply #573 on: November 06, 2020, 05:13:19 PM »
There has been some stiff competition here over the years, but I think this one might just be a Hall-of-Famer.

3rd one down, "My son has been married for more than 10 years..."

https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/11/dealing-with-racist-friends-care-and-feeding.html

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #574 on: November 06, 2020, 05:26:26 PM »
Wow. Gotta like read the letter all the way through with a highlighter, but when you put the real story together. Wow.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #575 on: November 06, 2020, 07:06:56 PM »
Wow, that one is bad. She should be grateful that her husband cheated on her and fathered a child with another woman? Umm, no.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #576 on: November 07, 2020, 12:47:00 AM »
What?! What are they THINKING?!!!?! Asshole son cheats and happens to get mistress pregnant and cheated-on wife should be GRATEFUL? I wish the answer had been more hair-ripping-out vocal about how crazy that is.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #577 on: November 07, 2020, 02:46:15 PM »

I’m sure it’s perfectly fine for Little Precious to stuff himself with nice, “normal” foods like McDonald’s happy meals, dinosaur-shaped frozen chicken nuggets, and day-glo orange macaroni and powdered “cheese” in little microwave cups.

Have you tasted those dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets? So bland....

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #578 on: November 07, 2020, 02:55:14 PM »

Have you tasted those dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets? So bland....
Ha! I asked DSS to make mac n' cheese for them for lunch yesterday. DSS made a whole box for each of them! This is what I get for buying a case of that junk at Costco early in the pandemic. It just looked so comforting...

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #579 on: November 08, 2020, 10:54:13 AM »
That perfect shade of yellow... ;)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #580 on: November 14, 2020, 04:54:19 PM »
What?! What are they THINKING?!!!?! Asshole son cheats and happens to get mistress pregnant and cheated-on wife should be GRATEFUL? I wish the answer had been more hair-ripping-out vocal about how crazy that is.

Perhaps it's one of those Mormon families with multiple wives. Seems like it, given the way the grandmother talks about the "gift of a <first born> son"

Drama is a given in a situation like that I guess.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #582 on: December 30, 2020, 05:53:15 PM »
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/harvesting-the-eitc-ctc-snap-and-medicaid/

I just read through the thread. Amazing, how this poster was hoping for congratulations from the forum.

I'm seriously tempted to comment🍿but I want to see other posters chime in first.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #583 on: December 30, 2020, 06:26:57 PM »
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/harvesting-the-eitc-ctc-snap-and-medicaid/
I just read through the thread. Amazing, how this poster was hoping for congratulations from the forum.

I'm seriously tempted to comment🍿but I want to see other posters chime in first.
I looked at the number of posts from the user [2] and thought they had to be a troll. Like, Welfare Cheat is not an actual career, Person who "plan(s) to have as many children as possible"
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 06:41:03 PM by mspym »

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #584 on: December 30, 2020, 07:27:17 PM »

I looked at the number of posts from the user [2] and thought they had to be a troll. Like, Welfare Cheat is not an actual career, Person who "plan(s) to have as many children as possible"

That part makes me very sad: children are little PEOPLE, who are going to grow into people and need to be treated respectfully -- doing a reasonably good job of raising kids is hard work!

centwise

• Stubble
« Reply #585 on: December 30, 2020, 07:33:18 PM »
I also thought that was a troll post...

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #586 on: December 30, 2020, 07:34:47 PM »
Welfare cheat or troll, it's still entertaining.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #587 on: December 30, 2020, 07:49:00 PM »
Wow, that's just nuts. I just posted what you are far too polite to, dear Adventine. The mods may not like it and I'll delete it if asked, but I kinda hope that doesn't happen. MMM is not about blatant cheating.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #588 on: December 30, 2020, 08:00:10 PM »
Wow, that's just nuts. I just posted what you are far too polite to, dear Adventine. The mods may not like it and I'll delete it if asked, but I kinda hope that doesn't happen. MMM is not about blatant cheating.

I chuckled out loud, @Dicey. Officially time to bring out the popcorn!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #589 on: December 30, 2020, 10:10:23 PM »
Eh, I just reported that thread to the mods as possible troll. Let them sort it out.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #590 on: December 30, 2020, 11:17:02 PM »
oops. I should have read this first as I also reported it as blatant trolling too :-)

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #591 on: January 12, 2021, 07:00:04 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/advice/carolyn-hax-a-parent-pooh-poohs-a-non-parents-sleep-deprivation/2021/01/11/cf9e3f34-4aeb-11eb-839a-cf4ba7b7c48c_story.html

"My friend told me she was having problems with sleep deprivation, which is ridiculous because she doesn't have children even though she gave me the details of her medical issues that were causing the sleep issues. How do I tell her to get over herself?"

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #592 on: January 12, 2021, 08:36:22 AM »
Even more parents than usual are really eager to tell you how much their kids suck during the pandemic.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #593 on: August 13, 2021, 10:46:16 AM »
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/real-estate-and-landlording/tenant-died-in-my-rental-unit/

Mostly for "I won't hire anyone to clean the unit someone died in until I exhaust every option for getting someone else to pay for it" that was told to the deceased tenant's adult child.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #594 on: August 13, 2021, 11:01:15 AM »
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/real-estate-and-landlording/tenant-died-in-my-rental-unit/

Mostly for "I won't hire anyone to clean the unit someone died in until I exhaust every option for getting someone else to pay for it" that was told to the deceased tenant's adult child.

I was about to comment on that thread, until I realized I had nothing productive to say that hadn't been already said by other posters.

Compassion towards the deceased tenant and the still-living daughter would have gone a long way towards avoiding the situation that poster's facing now.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #595 on: August 13, 2021, 11:14:41 AM »

I was about to comment on that thread, until I realized I had nothing productive to say that hadn't been already said by other posters.

Compassion towards the deceased tenant and the still-living daughter would have gone a long way towards avoiding the situation that poster's facing now.
I had a post written and didn't post for the same reason. When someone is dead, you just do whatever needs to be done and figure out the money later.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #596 on: August 13, 2021, 11:22:53 AM »
Even more parents than usual are really eager to tell you how much their kids suck during the pandemic.
I’ve been living this for the past 2 years. Being stuck at home with littles underfoot 24/7/365/?? is really really hard. It is almost impossible for me to appreciate my children when I don’t get the down time I need as a human being to restore my own batteries. There is an entire nation, no, world, living a similar experience. That is why you hear people complain.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #597 on: August 13, 2021, 11:37:46 AM »

I had a post written and didn't post for the same reason. When someone is dead, you just do whatever needs to be done and figure out the money later.
Me, three. Isn't that the benefit of being a mustachian? Solve the problem, then worry about the money. The OP's lack of compassion was appalling, IMO. I have a tenant in her 90's. She intends to live there until she dies, which is fine with me. When it happens, if we need to do something, we'll do it without hesitation. I jut hope it's a long time from now. Oh, and my rentals are at least as far away from my primary home as the OP's, so that's no excuse. Figure it out and have a heart, dude.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #598 on: August 14, 2021, 08:29:31 PM »

Me, three. Isn't that the benefit of being a mustachian? Solve the problem, then worry about the money. The OP's lack of compassion was appalling, IMO. I have a tenant in her 90's. She intends to live there until she dies, which is fine with me. When it happens, if we need to do something, we'll do it without hesitation. I jut hope it's a long time from now. Oh, and my rentals are at least as far away from my primary home as the OP's, so that's no excuse. Figure it out and have a heart, dude.

I'm just imaging what the other tenants in the building are thinking. There has to be an odor.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #599 on: August 15, 2021, 06:25:05 AM »

It reminded me of the time we had someone enthusiastically post about the time they removed an elderly tenant with stage 4 lung cancer.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!