Author Topic: OP Is the Only One Who Doesn't See It  (Read 126462 times)

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
Re: OP Is the Only One Who Doesn't See It
« Reply #550 on: July 13, 2020, 10:28:36 AM »

talltexan

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #551 on: July 13, 2020, 11:57:14 AM »
You wonder about the authenticity of a letter being so tone-deaf.

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #552 on: July 13, 2020, 03:13:25 PM »
You wonder about the authenticity of a letter being so tone-deaf.

I mean yes, but we also have people who sincerely believe that children can't catch covid, wearing a mask will suffocate them/will make them sick, the earth is flat, etc.

I've pretty much decided that even if a particular post or comment online is trolling, there are people who actually think it. I fully believe that there are that many people who are that tone-deaf.

talltexan

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #553 on: July 14, 2020, 06:27:49 AM »
I'll add: even if the letter was written by a troll, Ask A Manager should still make the statement zHe did for the benefit of others.

I'm forty, but--being male--cannot imagine receiving that sort of attention from an 18-yo.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #554 on: July 15, 2020, 11:39:41 AM »
It is FAR from the craziest letter that blogger has published, and sometimes in much wilder cases other colleagues comment to support the OP's story. I had no trouble believing it.

acepedro45

• Stubble
« Reply #555 on: July 15, 2020, 06:53:46 PM »
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=320204

Do I dare take my 4-year-old Corolla on a long road trip? Will the wheels fall off? Will we all die in a fire? Will I die of thirst on the side of the highway?

Sadly, itís not just the op who canít see it. A large number of the commentariat advise renting a car over the perils of a just barely broken in Corolla.

talltexan

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #556 on: July 16, 2020, 07:26:40 AM »
The car is a 2016 corolla with 125,000 miles.

I'm hardly a Mustachian, think of me as half-ass rather than badass. But my 2009 Camry had the same number of miles in 2019 as this person's does. That is a heck-of-a-lot of daily driving.

Sibley

• Magnum Stache

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #558 on: July 29, 2020, 11:38:55 AM »
This is an indirect OP doesn't see it. The manager, not the person who wrote in.

Original: https://www.askamanager.org/2020/06/my-manager-named-joseph-stalin-employee-of-the-month.html

Update: https://www.askamanager.org/2020/07/updates-joseph-stalin-sleeping-during-car-rides-and-more.html
Wow! Glad it seems to have been resolved. (Dicey shakes head and is super duper extra glad she is FIRE.) Just wow.

acepedro45

• Stubble
« Reply #559 on: August 11, 2020, 10:10:56 PM »
My 9-year-old (an age where little tummies must be especially shielded from subversive foods) ate an Indian curry at a friend's house and loved it. How can I help his parents (two doctors no less!!) better understand the risks of trying new foods?

https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/08/parenting-indian-food-bubble-covid-families-judgement.html?fbclid=IwAR1yrGg1o_Y_uz1r2fFBzWyWazDKXWrNzUX6Y4Ou9AK6zYLBvd8zVHdG06w

mspym

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #560 on: August 12, 2020, 02:16:38 AM »
My 9-year-old (an age where little tummies must be especially shielded from subversive foods) ate an Indian curry at a friend's house and loved it. How can I help his parents (two doctors no less!!) better understand the risks of trying new foods?

https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/08/parenting-indian-food-bubble-covid-families-judgement.html?fbclid=IwAR1yrGg1o_Y_uz1r2fFBzWyWazDKXWrNzUX6Y4Ou9AK6zYLBvd8zVHdG06w

How do Indian children even grow up to become Indian Doctors, being fed delicious* curries? Clearly the solution is to only have playdates at OP's house, where you can make sure your Poor Precious Baby isn't exposed to "flavour".

*So delicious PPB ate "a lot"

ixtap

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #561 on: August 12, 2020, 06:17:41 AM »

"My wife thinks it is going to look like a racial problem."

Ah, your wife is too nice to tell you stop being a racist prick!

OtherJen

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #562 on: August 12, 2020, 06:28:08 AM »

Iím sure itís perfectly fine for Little Precious to stuff himself with nice, ďnormalĒ foods like McDonaldís happy meals, dinosaur-shaped frozen chicken nuggets, and day-glo orange macaroni and powdered ďcheeseĒ in little microwave cups.

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #563 on: August 12, 2020, 06:41:57 AM »
Jeez! I would be  t h r i l l e d  if my 8yo kid came home saying he tried and loved curry & lentils. What a (racist) tool!

RetiredAt63

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #564 on: August 12, 2020, 11:01:38 AM »
Jeez! I would be  t h r i l l e d  if my 8yo kid came home saying he tried and loved curry & lentils. What a (racist) tool!

Little kids can be so conservative about their food choices, he should be glad his kid is open to new foods.  Two doctors are not going to poison his kid.  Of course if the food at home is monotonous and boring, he may be unhappy if the kid starts wanting more choices and more interesting flavours.  ;-)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #565 on: August 12, 2020, 11:50:08 AM »
I presume OP thinks that "curry" = vindaloo and that Indian children spend their entire childhood in a perpetual state of digestive distress. I add my voices to the ones who are amazed that their response to "Your child tried some new food (and vegetables!) and really liked it!" wasn't "WOW! I never would have thought it, but that's GREAT!" Or, at the very least, "Gosh, I'm surprised! I would have thought curry would be a bit spicy for kids. But I'm glad he liked it!" And then the Indian doctors-who-should-know-better could have explained the existence of chicken korma.

Also, LOL that the wife thinks he should drop it because a conversation would look racist.........but the boys should only play at their place.

As an aside: "Both of Neilís parents are doctors, so this seemed like a safe decision." Wot? Doctors (i.e. people who must be actually meeting large numbers of ill people) are the LAST people I'd want to be seeing at the moment. I know they're supposed to have PPE, but inadequate provision is widely publicised and it only takes a moment of poor use or bad luck to get infected. OP clearly has a bizarre idea of what's risky in the world at the moment.

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #566 on: August 12, 2020, 01:04:32 PM »
As an aside: "Both of Neilís parents are doctors, so this seemed like a safe decision." Wot? Doctors (i.e. people who must be actually meeting large numbers of ill people) are the LAST people I'd want to be seeing at the moment. I know they're supposed to have PPE, but inadequate provision is widely publicised and it only takes a moment of poor use or bad luck to get infected. OP clearly has a bizarre idea of what's risky in the world at the moment.

It could be an old letter, you know, sent in pre-COVID times, but the publication date didn't hit until now...

ixtap

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #567 on: August 12, 2020, 01:09:30 PM »

It could be an old letter, you know, sent in pre-COVID times, but the publication date didn't hit until now...

The editor put COVID in the title, though.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #568 on: August 12, 2020, 01:12:35 PM »

Then why would the letter say, and I quote, "A few weeks ago, we decided to open our bubble to include the family of ďNeil,Ē Chrisís best friend. Both of Neilís parents are doctors, so this seemed like a safe decision."?

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #569 on: August 13, 2020, 09:13:56 PM »
Not only are they racist, but they used the phrase 'little tummies'. I hate these people.

nessness

• Bristles
« Reply #570 on: August 14, 2020, 07:48:07 AM »
Another from from Dear Prudence.

I flushed my wife's birth control pills because she wasn't ready to start trying for a baby. Now she's acting weird, so I want her to give up her phone and car so we can improve our communication.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/08/dear-prudence-flushed-wifes-birth-control-unfair-reaction.html

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #571 on: August 14, 2020, 07:55:38 AM »

I flushed my wife's birth control pills because she wasn't ready to start trying for a baby. Now she's acting weird, so I want her to give up her phone and car so we can improve our communication.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/08/dear-prudence-flushed-wifes-birth-control-unfair-reaction.html

I read this the other day - UGH.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #572 on: August 14, 2020, 11:35:47 AM »

Oh my goodness, that is really devastatingly sad. The poor wife. She's clearly thinking about/trying to leave him and afraid that he will stop/imprison/hurt her. I really hope he realises what he's actually done.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #573 on: August 15, 2020, 01:33:17 AM »
It takes a long time to leave someone who is like that . . . but she will figure out how to squirrel money away through cash back when she pays for groceries and other discreet methods, and eventually she can escape. Hopefully she got herself a Depo Provera shot right after the flushing of the pills.

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #574 on: August 15, 2020, 05:52:51 AM »

Then why would the letter say, and I quote, "A few weeks ago, we decided to open our bubble to include the family of ďNeil,Ē Chrisís best friend. Both of Neilís parents are doctors, so this seemed like a safe decision."?

LOL - my bad! I didn't re-read the letter before posting. Forgot that detail.

talltexan

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #575 on: August 21, 2020, 08:21:25 AM »
Indeed the comments on that "flushing the birth control" one are pretty illuminating.