Author Topic: Ontario general election - what to do?  (Read 16757 times)

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
Re: Ontario general election - what to do?
« Reply #100 on: May 29, 2018, 02:42:52 AM »
Our local PC candidate seems ok.   I'm not happy with Doug Ford though.   What the hell, why couldn't they have picked Christine Elliot?

That's the problem with identity politics. We're in a true blue area, I think our incumbent provincial guy has been in forever. I haven't heard anything about him, either good or bad (unlike our federal MP, she's awful).

I will be voting to keep Ford out rather than anything else. Not that it'll do anything where I am.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #101 on: June 01, 2018, 12:43:12 PM »
This time next week we will have a new government.  So soon!  It feels like the campaigning just started.

SoftwareGoddess

• Stubble
« Reply #102 on: June 01, 2018, 01:40:51 PM »
I've noticed that in my immediate neighborhood, there are almost no lawn signs on private property, which is unusual this close to an election. I've seen 2 Liberal signs (incumbent candidate is Liberal) and one Green.

I take it to mean that the whole riding is still pretty much undecided.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #103 on: June 01, 2018, 02:26:28 PM »
I've noticed that in my immediate neighborhood, there are almost no lawn signs on private property, which is unusual this close to an election. I've seen 2 Liberal signs (incumbent candidate is Liberal) and one Green.

We have very few as well.  It's as if the election were in early July, not early June.  Almost no-one is talking about it.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #104 on: June 01, 2018, 03:12:43 PM »

We have very few as well.  It's as if the election were in early July, not early June.  Almost no-one is talking about it.
I agree.

I talked about it a lunch with a few co-workers and they didn't even know the date was next week June 7th, one co-worker was sure it was June 14th.... required a Google search to verify.
https://www.elections.on.ca/en.html

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #105 on: June 01, 2018, 03:31:25 PM »

I agree.

I talked about it a lunch with a few co-workers and they didn't even know the date was next week June 7th, one co-worker was sure it was June 14th.... required a Google search to verify.
https://www.elections.on.ca/en.html

I have my voter's card - June 7. 

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #106 on: June 01, 2018, 08:55:35 PM »
I voted last weekend.  Lots of signs in my area.  I am hoping that it is a good turn out. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2018, 06:27:12 PM »
You can blame Prospector for posting something from this website.  Look at the goodie funny I found  ;-)

https://outabouter.com/2018/05/23/ford-down-to-reminding-everyone-that-if-elected-he-will-not-run-for-mayor-of-toronto/

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #108 on: June 02, 2018, 07:24:15 PM »

meghan88

• Pencil Stache

SoftwareGoddess

• Stubble
« Reply #110 on: June 04, 2018, 12:07:39 PM »
Lawn Sign Watch, 2018 Edition, continues:

Some more Liberal signs have appeared, and I noticed that they are quite numerous in the neighboring riding. Back in my riding, there is a sudden surge in NDP signs, with a smattering of PC.

Overall, still relatively few signs, but perhaps people have realized that the election is happening whether or not they are ready for it.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #111 on: June 04, 2018, 05:57:56 PM »
Lawn Sign Watch, 2018 Edition, continues:

Some more Liberal signs have appeared, and I noticed that they are quite numerous in the neighboring riding. Back in my riding, there is a sudden surge in NDP signs, with a smattering of PC.

Overall, still relatively few signs, but perhaps people have realized that the election is happening whether or not they are ready for it.

Just went to Ottawa and back. Not down town though, along Hunt Club mostly.

Lots of PC. Very few NDP. 5 Green next to each other. This is all along the side of the road, I guess it's a main commuting road.

Amazing how wasteful - so so so so many copies of the same PC sign every 5-10 metres.

I drove the other way on Sunday, out to Renfrew. Same deal - mostly blue signs. The odd Liberal, and literally 1 or 2 NDP.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #112 on: June 05, 2018, 06:41:34 AM »

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: June 05, 2018, 07:20:40 AM »
@RetiredAt63 - this is precisely why we need proportional representation.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #114 on: June 05, 2018, 07:23:09 AM »

OOOOOH, I know - and I want it.  Federally and provincially.  Then I could vote Green first, NDP second, and NOTA third.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: June 05, 2018, 07:30:21 AM »

OOOOOH, I know - and I want it.  Federally and provincially.  Then I could vote Green first, NDP second, and NOTA third.
I completely stopped voting strategically about 15 years ago.  And looking back, provincial and federal results have never elected my choice ever since I started voting 30 years.  I now vote for the candidate that is best capable with the platform that aligns most closely.   And unfortunately never gets in.  But I remain hopeful.

oneyearfromnow

• Pencil Stache
  • a life-long frugalitarian
« Reply #116 on: June 05, 2018, 08:06:40 AM »
Frugal Lizard, I have the same view on voting.  I always vote for the candidate who I feel will do their very best to represent the riding.  Regardless of party.

I cannot in good conscience hold my nose and vote for a jerk, just because I may respect their leader.

Some times I have selected the winning candidate.  Over my voting years I have voted for the four main parties.

My riding has an incumbant Liberal, and a socially active NDP.   In the two debates I watched, both performed well, answered the questions, and presented as aware, and competent.  I would be happy with either as my MPP.   

In the second debate, the NDP candidate stated a couple of things that gave him an edge over the Liberal Incumbant. 

Namely,
a)  widening the 417 is ludacris given the investment in the LRT.  That money should have gone towards further improvement in public transit, and /or reduction in fares to increase ridership.  Ottawa has a ridiculously high fare.  Indeed!

b) Developers should be forced to make a proportion of their housing developments available for low to middle income renters.  Also, more public space.  He specifically mentioned that a Condo developer that built right beside a tiny, but well used library, should have been told that they would get their permissions, but they will have a new first floor tenant - a library expansion.  Missed opportunity!  Vancouver has rules about making public spaces in all new developments. 

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #117 on: June 05, 2018, 09:24:06 AM »

That's not PR, that's ranked voting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranked_voting (Edit: I was racking my brain to remember the term I knew, and it wasn't this - it was STV, Single Transferrable Vote, where your vote goes from your first to second to third choice as your earlier picks are eliminated).

PR is just seats = share of popular vote. Less likely to have majorities. Also difficult to determine who represents where/how you pick who is elected (as you are presumably voting for the party). (Not that I'm against either, but FPTP is 'easy' in a lot of ways, and PR is 'hard').
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 05:33:30 PM by daverobev »

oneyearfromnow

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2018, 05:59:39 PM »

That's not PR, that's ranked voting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranked_voting (Edit: I was racking my brain to remember the term I knew, and it wasn't this - it was STV, Single Transferrable Vote, where your vote goes from your first to second to third choice as your earlier picks are eliminated).

PR is just seats = share of popular vote. Less likely to have majorities. Also difficult to determine who represents where/how you pick who is elected (as you are presumably voting for the party). (Not that I'm against either, but FPTP is 'easy' in a lot of ways, and PR is 'hard').

Regarding ranked ballots.....that is how you get everyones second choice 😳  Or, as I enjoy saying... “Everyones Number 2”

Two surprise winners for the conservatives, federally and provincially.   I suppose federally Mr Scheer has been doing OK, which I feel is a function of the large pool of candidates running.  Provincially with only 4 running, a different result. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #119 on: June 06, 2018, 12:43:46 PM »
TOMORROW!!!!!                                  TOMORROW!!!!!                                  TOMORROW!!!!!

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #120 on: June 06, 2018, 02:59:21 PM »
TOMORROW!!!!!                                  TOMORROW!!!!!                                  TOMORROW!!!!!
Yes, and we are all going to wake up with mammoth hangovers on Friday, no matter what happens.  What with the temperature here this week, I may just stay in bed with the covers pulled over my head.

Thinking that we get such poor candidates these days because politics has become such a thankless job.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #121 on: June 06, 2018, 07:16:57 PM »
Doug Ford majority.

You heard it here first folks.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #122 on: June 06, 2018, 07:39:41 PM »
Doug Ford majority.

yup - the least of the evils.

What's your exit strategy?

When we elected a Ford here in TO, his crack buddies hooked him up often enough that he killed himself before the end of his term.  It only cost us billions of dollars of wasted money cancelling shovel ready transit plans and replacing them with . . . nothing.

oneyearfromnow

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #123 on: June 06, 2018, 09:09:05 PM »
Really?

Does the public really want this guy? ( has anyone else linked to this?) https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/globe-investigation-the-ford-familys-history-with-drug-dealing/article12153014/?error_code=4201&error_message=User+canceled+the+Dialog+flow#_=_

Article originally published in 2013, updated April 2018.

There was a CBC noon hour show a week or so ago.  where one of the callers said she bought hash from Doug.  Rita said it was an allegation, and the caller said no way, its the truth - I bought hash from him.    I had to giggle.

ETA he is apparently against safe-injection sites too.   Hello Pot?  This is Kettle!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 09:11:05 PM by oneyearfromnow »

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2018, 03:57:08 AM »
Really?

Does the public really want this guy? ( has anyone else linked to this?) https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/globe-investigation-the-ford-familys-history-with-drug-dealing/article12153014/?error_code=4201&error_message=User+canceled+the+Dialog+flow#_=_

Article originally published in 2013, updated April 2018.

There was a CBC noon hour show a week or so ago.  where one of the callers said she bought hash from Doug.  Rita said it was an allegation, and the caller said no way, its the truth - I bought hash from him.    I had to giggle.

ETA he is apparently against safe-injection sites too.   Hello Pot?  This is Kettle!
I have friends who grew up in East Mississauga.   They all swear it is a well known fact to go to Druggie Ford for your needs when they were in high school and university.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 05:42:56 AM by Frugal Lizard »

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2018, 04:57:06 AM »
Doug Ford majority.

Planning on moving... to Alberta. Not, obviously, for political reasons. That's just a bonus, though by the time we do it there will probably be Conservatives there. But - not Doug Ford conservatives.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2018, 07:51:35 AM »
Doug Ford majority.

Planning on moving... to Alberta. Not, obviously, for political reasons. That's just a bonus, though by the time we do it there will probably be Conservatives there. But - not Doug Ford conservatives.

Moving to Montreal in a year or so.  We'll enjoy a different kind of political morass, but at least the restaurants, cycling infrastructure, public transit are all world-class.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2018, 07:57:29 AM »
Ack!  GuitarStv is likely right...I think the likelihood of a Conservative majority is around 87% at present.  I get the general sense from talking with friends/colleagues/gym buddies etc that nobody really has a strong sense about what to do with their vote.  People are either picking the least party evil, or are voting for their riding irrespective of their disdain of the party leader.  I'm still wavering on whether to vote local or protest vote or pick least of evil parties.  I suspect many are in this predicament.  For this reason, there is a possibility that the 87% probability of PC Majority may be misleading. 

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2018, 09:07:09 AM »
Well, I voted. Quite quiet but I don't know what I was expecting at 10:30am!

I'm interested to know how soon we'll know the results after polling closes, with these ballot scanning machines!

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2018, 01:13:05 PM »
The ballot scanners were not working properly at our polling station.  It took them over half an hour to get one ballot scanned.  This does not bode well for anyone voting when there are more than 2 people there.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2018, 03:19:06 PM »
I voted.  The polling station was well marked (signed?) from the street. It had an elevator so no access issues. We had 4 tables (2 for people with cards, 2 for those without) and a help table.  4 voting stations.  Our scanner was working fine.

There were no lineups but we were a steady stream of people.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2018, 05:51:52 PM »
DD and her SO are voting right now.  It will be interesting to see if the younger voters turn out in greater numbers than in previous elections.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #132 on: June 07, 2018, 07:40:54 PM »
PC- 1.1 million votes - projected 74 seats

NDP - 1 million votes - projected 37 seats

Yeah, FPTP is silly.

Libs - 0.5 mil votes - projected 8 seats.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #133 on: June 08, 2018, 06:13:08 AM »
Doug Ford majority.

When we elected a Ford here in TO, his crack buddies hooked him up often enough that he killed himself before the end of his term.  It only cost us billions of dollars of wasted money cancelling shovel ready transit plans and replacing them with . . . nothing.

I did not vote for Doug, I voted for his team - I reckon a lot of people did.  ;)

The problem is, "the team" has less and less power in Canadian politics (federally and provincially), and the leader of the winning party has more and more.  So his team is going to have relatively little say.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #134 on: June 08, 2018, 07:00:55 AM »
Ontarians took a good long look at Rob Ford and Donald Trump last night . . . and said 'Yes, please!  I want some more of that.'

On the plus side, now that they have a majority government maybe the party of fiscal responsibility will deign to allow us humble voters to learn how they're planning to pay for all of the things they said they were going to do.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: June 08, 2018, 07:51:44 AM »
Doug Ford majority.

I did not vote for Doug, I voted for his team - I reckon a lot of people did.  ;)

The problem is, "the team" has less and less power in Canadian politics (federally and provincially), and the leader of the winning party has more and more.  So his team is going to have relatively little say.

Yup.  I am not surprised, given what I have heard from friends, overheard while I was out, etc.  I am just depressed.  My only hope now is that it's proven he bought votes for the leadership, and they turf him out as leader.   Because yes, you DID essentially vote for Doug Ford,  and the rest of us will have to live with the consequences.   He has never been a collaborative person - what would make anyone think that will magically change once he holds power?   

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #136 on: June 08, 2018, 08:38:03 AM »
Ontarians took a good long look at Rob Ford and Donald Trump last night . . . and said 'Yes, please!  I want some more of that.'

On the plus side, now that they have a majority government maybe the party of fiscal responsibility will deign to allow us humble voters to learn how they're planning to pay for all of the things they said they were going to do.

Can't wait.  Oink oink oink, I'm sure.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #137 on: June 09, 2018, 08:21:43 AM »

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #138 on: June 09, 2018, 11:10:36 AM »

I'm not thinking that Jason Kenney Conservatives are going to be much fun - what with their Wildrose faction and apparent inability to do math.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #139 on: June 09, 2018, 11:45:34 AM »
Conservatives have never been able to do math.   I don't think it's on their curriculum!

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #140 on: June 09, 2018, 12:20:06 PM »
The Beaverton gets it:

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2018/06/good-fucking-luck-ontario/

So does John Milloy.  He's written a thoughtful piece (minus the satire) that's worth reading, however you voted:  https://www.pressreader.com/canada/waterloo-region-record/20180609/281702615413250

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #141 on: June 09, 2018, 12:38:33 PM »
The Beaverton gets it:

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2018/06/good-fucking-luck-ontario/

So does John Milloy.  He's written a thoughtful piece (minus the satire) that's worth reading, however you voted:  https://www.pressreader.com/canada/waterloo-region-record/20180609/281702615413250

That was a good piece.  Very realistic.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #142 on: June 09, 2018, 12:46:59 PM »

I'm not thinking that Jason Kenney Conservatives are going to be much fun - what with their Wildrose faction and apparent inability to do math.

You're right. I have changed my mind - I'm off back to the UK.

Brexit, eh. Oh well.