Author Topic: Oh, Florida!!! Covid19 Response  (Read 108166 times)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
Re: Oh, Florida!!! Covid19 Response
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2020, 09:38:37 AM »
I thought All Lives Matter??

All healthy, wealthy and white lives matter

You forgot “young.” Supposedly, COVID only kills middle-aged and elderly people, and according to the TX Lt. Governor, they should be willing to sacrifice themselves to save the economy.

Yeah - all that.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2020, 10:38:23 AM »
At this rate Floridians won't have to avert their eyes from old Canadian snowbirds in ugly bathing suits this winter.
I expect lots of snowbirds to skip this season, especially people who rent for 1-3 months.

Blue82

• Stubble
« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2020, 11:11:57 AM »
Over 15,000 new Florida cases today.  Florida is so good at “winning”.  Sigh. 

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2020, 12:21:52 PM »
11700 cases yesterday. Now >100 deaths per day. Disney and Universal Studios STILL planning on reopening this month. Gov Desantis with no plans to close.

I think it’s now obvious that Florida is going for herd immunity. Deaths be damned. It’s only going to get worse.

Somebody better start praying for us. At least NY had Cuomo. DeSantis is delusional and woefully inept.
Can't wait for the convention in Jacksonville - if all goes well there will be a few Republicans less.../S

As of today Sunday July 12, 2020
Florida health officials on Sunday reported 15,300 new Covid-19 cases, a record for the state, according to data posted on the Florida Department of Health (DOH) website.

The previous high for the state was on July 4 with 11,434, according to Johns Hopkins University data.

Florida's current positivity rate is 19.60%, according to Johns Hopkins.

There were 45 additional Covid-19 related deaths bringing the state total to 4,346. There have been 18,271 patients hospitalized in the state throughout the pandemic. Florida cases now total 269,811, DOH reports.

But don't you worry - Disney has re-opened - the gov told us on Monday that the virus is stabilizing ... nothing to see here.

Oh, Florida how will we get through this alive and well?
Cuomo is sending us Remdesivir and we are getting 100 more nurses for Miami/Dade county ...

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2020, 02:29:04 PM »
Re: Disney World, I read that Orange County (where Orlando is located) recorded it's highest case count this weekend. How many tourists are going to bring infections home with their souvenir mouse ears?

(I'm not trying to make light of your situation. I have three pairs of aunts/uncles and several cousins in the greater Miami and Tampa areas, and I'm worried for all of them and everyone else there. The failure of state leadership is criminally negligent.)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 02:31:10 PM by OtherJen »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2020, 02:33:02 PM »
Re: Disney World, I read that Orange County (where Orlando is located) recorded it's highest case count this weekend. How many tourists are going to bring infections home with their souvenir mouse ears?

Congress is pushing to open the Canadian border a bit and we are all "Please build a wall".  Unless things change drastically I expect a lot of Canadian snowbirds will find alternate destinations, or just stay home.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2020, 03:12:36 PM »

Congress is pushing to open the Canadian border a bit and we are all "Please build a wall".  Unless things change drastically I expect a lot of Canadian snowbirds will find alternate destinations, or just stay home.

Yeah, I cannot for the life of me imagine why anyone whose national government responded rationally and appropriately to COVID would want to come here for fun right now.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2020, 05:42:18 PM »

Yeah, I cannot for the life of me imagine why anyone whose national government responded rationally and appropriately to COVID would want to come here for fun right now.

Most Canadians save Florida for winter, hence snowbirds.  Some would come in summer when kids are off school for Disney, but most are escaping winter.  Who knows where things will be in January-March?

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2020, 02:09:09 PM »
TUI (UK) the largest tour operator in Europe has taken Florida off its list of destinations until 2021.
So even if the gov is delusional, the rest of the world is not - they are not coming to Florida.

I wonder if it has even occurred to the gov that if he were to do all he could to make this state as safe as possible tourists would flood back?

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2020, 06:29:03 PM »
But don't you worry - Disney has re-opened - the gov told us on Monday that the virus is stabilizing ... nothing to see here.

Don't worry, the virus will stabilize as soon as Florida hits its capacity to run tests. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2020, 06:35:20 PM »

Don't worry, the virus will stabilize as soon as Florida hits its capacity to run tests.

Really, they should just stop testing altogether.  Some good, smart people (the best, really) have been telling me no testing, no new cases.  No new cases, no problem . . . right?

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2020, 04:17:05 AM »

Most Canadians save Florida for winter, hence snowbirds.  Some would come in summer when kids are off school for Disney, but most are escaping winter.  Who knows where things will be in January-March?

My aunt is a long time snowbird, decades long.  Her vehicle has been abandoned in Florida this year with no plans to retrieve it because she flew home for a cataract procedure and had planned to go back, but then the COVID happened. Someone will have to go back down sometime for it.  I am pretty sure this is the end of her snowbirding and her house in Florida will be sold. I don’t think her situation is all that unique either so there will be a glut of properties on the market in year or so. 

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #112 on: July 14, 2020, 09:37:07 AM »

My aunt is a long time snowbird, decades long.  Her vehicle has been abandoned in Florida this year with no plans to retrieve it because she flew home for a cataract procedure and had planned to go back, but then the COVID happened. Someone will have to go back down sometime for it.  I am pretty sure this is the end of her snowbirding and her house in Florida will be sold. I don’t think her situation is all that unique either so there will be a glut of properties on the market in year or so. 

FFFFTTTTT.  Leave the vehicle and buy another.  Not worth dying over.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2020, 02:06:18 PM »
Hopefully someone will make the economic case to Governor Duh-Santis, Canadians alone:

"Florida is the U.S.’s most popular destination for Canadian homebuyers, according to a 2017 report by the National Association of Realtors. More than half a million Canadians own property there, according to a 2013 tally by the Bank of Montreal. Over 3,000,000 Canadians visit Florida every year spending over $4 billion dollars while staying for an average 22 days. Canadians also purchased over $7 billion dollars of Florida real estate in 2017 making it the #1 hot spot for Canadians."

This irresponsible approach is making Florida unwelcome around the world, for residents and visitors alike.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2020, 11:41:55 AM »
Hopefully someone will make the economic case to Governor DuhDeath-Santis, Canadians alone:

"Florida is the U.S.’s most popular destination for Canadian homebuyers, according to a 2017 report by the National Association of Realtors. More than half a million Canadians own property there, according to a 2013 tally by the Bank of Montreal. Over 3,000,000 Canadians visit Florida every year spending over $4 billion dollars while staying for an average 22 days. Canadians also purchased over $7 billion dollars of Florida real estate in 2017 making it the #1 hot spot for Canadians."

This irresponsible approach is making Florida unwelcome around the world, for residents and visitors alike.

FTFY

JGS1980

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #115 on: July 16, 2020, 12:01:32 PM »
Hopefully someone will make the economic case to Governor DuhDeath-Santis, Canadians alone:

FTFY

Has a governor ever been prosecuted by his own state for decisions detrimental to the health of their citizens? At some point the deaths will add up and SOMEONE will need to be held accountable. Not just by an election, either.

caffeine

• Stubble
« Reply #116 on: July 16, 2020, 12:06:06 PM »

FTFY

Has a governor ever been prosecuted by his own state for decisions detrimental to the health of their citizens? At some point the deaths will add up and SOMEONE will need to be held accountable. Not just by an election, either.

We'll have to see if anything happens to Cuomo. I hear his numbers are worse than DeSantis - any truth to that?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 12:11:09 PM by caffeine »

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: July 16, 2020, 12:15:10 PM »
Don’t worry folks, 51% will still vote republican in the fall.

That's what the polling machines will tell us anyways.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #118 on: July 16, 2020, 03:16:47 PM »
Don’t worry folks, 51% will still vote republican in the fall.

That's what the polling machines will tell us anyways.

Sung to the Pepsodent commercial

You'll wonder where the tourists went,
When you vote for that de Santis gent.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #119 on: July 16, 2020, 04:55:16 PM »

FTFY

We'll have to see if anything happens to Cuomo. I hear his numbers are worse than DeSantis - any truth to that?

I dunno.   Do you think DeSantis is doing a better or worse job than Cuomo when the pandemic came a-calling?

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #120 on: July 16, 2020, 10:41:06 PM »

FTFY

Wow, did you seriously compared Cuomo to DeSantis ??
NY was blindsided. Nobody was expecting it. Most people in America didn't think the virus was coming over here.
Cuomo took actions. Mainly mandating masks as early as April. NY new cases are now in the 1,xxx each day.
Meanwhile our Governor laughed at NY, even banning people from NY from coming in.
When Florida started to get hit hard a month ago, our Governor has done jack shit. Absolutely jack shit. He blames it on more testing. Still won't do jack shit. They need to kick this guy out of office seriously.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #121 on: July 17, 2020, 12:45:08 AM »
NY was blindsided. Nobody was expecting it. Most people in America didn't think the virus was coming over here.
Cuomo took actions. Mainly mandating masks as early as April. NY new cases are now in the 1,xxx each day.

I would never compare Cuomo to DeSantis, but Cuomo did wait way too long to shut down the schools.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #122 on: July 17, 2020, 01:11:24 AM »

I would never compare Cuomo to DeSantis, but Cuomo did wait way too long to shut down the schools.

The last day of school in New York was March 13th. At that point, there were a few hundred confirmed cases in the entire state (of 20 million people) heavily concentrated in one hotspot in Westchester. They dealt with that hotspot aggressively, closing select schools and other gathering places even earlier in that region and instituting a full lockdown in New Rochelle with the National Guard assisting in enforcement. The first death from COVID in NY was reported on March 14th. Is that really "way too long" to wait? I mean, sure, knowing what we know now with 20/20 hindsight we should have shut things down before we had any confirmed cases, but with the information and limited/faulty testing and info we had then? How much earlier would anyone else have really shut down? Washington State also had an early outbreak and Seattle shut down on March 11. I believe San Francisco closed the same day as NY. Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New Jersey, which were also hard hit, closed later than NY. No one complains about any of those, though, do they? Why not?

The real problem is that Cuomo has repeatedly attacked Trump and is extremely popular with the left. Therefore the right wingers have it out for him, so there are a bunch of talking points being repeated over and over (closed the schools too late, nursing homes, yadda yadda). And people believe what they hear after enough repetition, whether or not it's fair or true.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #123 on: July 17, 2020, 05:08:01 AM »
Jesus. 'Epicenter of the epicenter': Young people partying in Miami Beach despite COVID-19 threat

"We have this huge party every single night on Ocean Drive," she said, adding that the party has gone on nightly for years, though it originally began as a holiday weekend tradition. There are "throngs of people in the streets with open containers, nobody is wearing masks, no one is social distancing, no police presence and it presents a real danger."

She said that most attendees are tourists from across the country and noted she spoke to some from New York City and Chicago.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: July 17, 2020, 05:11:38 AM »
Jesus. 'Epicenter of the epicenter': Young people partying in Miami Beach despite COVID-19 threat

"We have this huge party every single night on Ocean Drive," she said, adding that the party has gone on nightly for years, though it originally began as a holiday weekend tradition. There are "throngs of people in the streets with open containers, nobody is wearing masks, no one is social distancing, no police presence and it presents a real danger."

She said that most attendees are tourists from across the country and noted she spoke to some from New York City and Chicago.

I'm just floored that people are still doing this, and that the Governor and Mayor didn't shut that place down months ago.

What I am learning is that different parts of the USA fundamentally have very different cultures. 

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: July 17, 2020, 07:27:06 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-07-17-20-intl/index.html

The main floor of Florida's Emergency Operations Center (EOC) in Tallahassee has been emptied out for cleaning and is closed until Monday after 12 workers tested positive for Covid-19, Jason Mahon, Florida Division of Emergency Management communications director, tells CNN.

Over the past two and a half weeks, 12 people have tested positive, including four positive results yesterday, Mahon said. Employees have been tested twice a week for several weeks, according to Mahon.

Intensive care units in Miami-Dade County, the epicenter of the virus in Florida, are at 107% bed capacity, according to the latest “Moving to a New Normal Dashboard” released by the county's government.

In the past 14 days, Miami-Dade County has seen an increase in the number of Covid-19 patients being hospitalized (46%), in the number of ICU beds being used (54%) and in the use of ventilators (86%), according to the latest data released by the county's government.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #126 on: July 17, 2020, 10:10:56 AM »
The first death from COVID in NY was reported on March 14th. Is that really "way too long" to wait? I mean, sure, knowing what we know now with 20/20 hindsight we should have shut things down before we had any confirmed cases, but with the information and limited/faulty testing and info we had then? How much earlier would anyone else have really shut down? Washington State also had an early outbreak and Seattle shut down on March 11. I believe San Francisco closed the same day as NY. Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New Jersey, which were also hard hit, closed later than NY. No one complains about any of those, though, do they? Why not?

You didn't need hindsight, you had Milan, Italy. For the record Milan has approximately the same population density as San Francisco. NYC is way denser than Milan. Here is a NY timelne. State of Emergency was declared on March 7th but they kept Manhattan schools open?

EDITed to add - and I was arguing with my NYC wife about it at the time. She said it was for child care reasons. I'm not trying to pick on Cuomo, in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king, and Cuomo might be a king right now.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 10:14:22 AM by PDXTabs »

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: July 17, 2020, 10:55:22 AM »
The first death from COVID in NY was reported on March 14th. Is that really "way too long" to wait? I mean, sure, knowing what we know now with 20/20 hindsight we should have shut things down before we had any confirmed cases, but with the information and limited/faulty testing and info we had then? How much earlier would anyone else have really shut down? Washington State also had an early outbreak and Seattle shut down on March 11. I believe San Francisco closed the same day as NY. Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New Jersey, which were also hard hit, closed later than NY. No one complains about any of those, though, do they? Why not?

You didn't need hindsight, you had Milan, Italy. For the record Milan has approximately the same population density as San Francisco. NYC is way denser than Milan. Here is a NY timelne. State of Emergency was declared on March 7th but they kept Manhattan schools open?

EDITed to add - and I was arguing with my NYC wife about it at the time. She said it was for child care reasons. I'm not trying to pick on Cuomo, in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king, and Cuomo might be a king right now.

And before us here in Italy, there was China.  I distinctly remember standing the the school courtyard at my kids' school here in Italy and a Chinese immigrant mother telling me, along with a bunch of Italian parents frustratedly, that "Italians aren't taking this virus seriously".  She said that she had relatives in China in the area that was already experiencing the shutdown.  She said that we should all be wearing masks and shutting things down.  Sure enough, about a week later, we were all on full lockdown.

Can I also say as an American immigrant in Italy, that the kinds of lock downs that people did in other parts of the world (from what I could see from social media, the US, the UK, the Netherlands, Australia and probably many other places) was entirely different from what we went through here.  Here in Italy the entire country was locked down from March 9 until mid-May.  We were not allowed to go outside to exercise or hold socially distanced driveway parties.  We were only allowed to go outside alone with a statutory declaration (with criminal penalties for false statements) that we were either going to to 1)food shop at our nearest supermarket or food market, 2) buy necessary pharmaceuticals at our nearest pharmacy, c) going to work in an essential job ie supermarket worker, hospital worker etc -other workplaces were closed or d) walking a dog or jogging/walking within 200 meters of our residence.  There was no other reason to go out, children were not allowed to go outside, no exercising in parks.  People who lived out in the countryside were not allowed to go hiking in the woods near their homes.  We were not allowed to go to our vacation homes, if we had them (although I know some people who did this and were not caught).  We live in an apartment with no balcony or outside space so the only time my kids saw daylight for more than 2 months was when we went up on the roof (they were not allowed to go to the supermarket with us).  We had to wear masks when inside public inside spaces and still do.  Police were checking people's statutory declarations and fining people who were out too far from home, or who were lying on their form.

Looking at what is happening in other countries I now feel like that Chinese mother in the school courtyard - I just don't feel that people in other countries are taking it seriously even DURING their "lockdowns" as there are so many exceptions to rules and gray areas.  I just saw on the news that in the UK only now have they decided that in ten days' time masks will be required in shops.  During their "lockdown" people were meeting their friends in parks and going to relatives houses. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 11:01:27 AM by Hula Hoop »

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #128 on: July 17, 2020, 11:17:38 AM »

Declaring a state of emergency is often done before things get bad - they'll regularly do it before a hurricane or blizzard hits. That doesn't mean they cancel school and let the kids sit at home for two days before the storm. It's because they want to have the emergency powers in the moment and not after the fact. Declaring it is a form of preparation. Sometimes it turns out not to be needed at all, sometimes it does. They had very few confirmed cases in New York on March 7. Like 15 or something. We didn't have any tests available.

Italy was only a couple of weeks ahead of New York - it was not at all clear how bad things were going to get, or if they would be the same here, in early March. I was watching it very carefully at the time and being very cautious and I decided to stock up and "lock down" myself on the 11th. The state moved a little more slowly than me, but not by much. I don't remember anyone talking want wanting a lockdown back then, but there were a whole lot of skeptics who weren't worried about it at all. Lots of hindsight and people who totally could have done a better job than Cuomo now, though...

At any rate this is all very different than governors like Desantis and Kemp being willfully ignorant and unprepared four months later in the face of all the research and evidence we New Yorkers were unable to benefit from... Cuomo was trying his best with little information and with a federal government working against him, when we had a severe shortage of masks, gowns, face shields, tests, ventilators, and had no medicines known to work. Very different situation. Plus the density of NYC as you mention - it's much harder to control here compared to places like Florida and Arizona. Unless your governors actively try to spread it...

bigblock440

• Bristles
« Reply #129 on: July 17, 2020, 11:25:22 AM »

FTFY

That's BS, the only reason they "were blindsided" was because they had their eyes closed.  For months there were warnings.  They were starting to screen people at the airports in mid-January.  The China travel ban was declared at the end of January.  Plenty of people were expecting it, and the ones that were were called xenophobic and thinly veiled implications that they were racist.  The first NYC case was recorded on March 1st, we had plenty of information by that point on how quickly it spread.  By March 17th, DeBlasio tried to lock down NYC, Cuomo overrode him and forced NYC to stay open.  NY had almost 2k cases and 20 people had died, Italy had surged to 30k cases.  Trump issued the European travel ban 5 days earlier on the 12th.  It still took another 2 days for Cuomo to agree to a lock down when cases had already jumped to 5,400, deaths up to 67.  I can't see how anyone can say NY or Cuomo did a good job with this or were blindsided.  Meanwhile, Florida also had their first confirmed case on March 1st, but had kept it largely under control until recently.

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: July 17, 2020, 11:36:27 AM »

I didn't see anyone answer your actual question. I'm not an authority on the subject, but no that's generally not how it works. When politicians are acting in the role of their office, even when they're doing a bad job, they're generally protected. You could maybe sue the State, but not the Governor himself. The Governor would only get in personal trouble if he was breaking laws, like accepting bribes or something. Other then that "an election" is how they're supposed to be punished for doing a bad job.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #131 on: July 17, 2020, 11:57:13 AM »
The Governor would only get in personal trouble if he was breaking laws, like accepting bribes or something.
You mean like accepting money from lobbyists for the opportunity to play golf with him?
https://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2019/09/12/ron-desantis-political-team-planned-25k-golf-games-250k-intimate-gatherings-memos-say/

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #132 on: July 24, 2020, 10:48:52 AM »
Anyone else remember when DeSantis was a Congressman and spent years and endless committee hearings because 4 Americans died in Libya - all to somehow blame Hillary Clinton.

Now thousands, probably tens of thousands of citizens in his own state are going to die and he is pretending nothing is wrong.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #133 on: July 29, 2020, 09:35:20 AM »
The hypocrisy of the Republicans makes me a little nauseated honestly.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #134 on: July 29, 2020, 06:11:27 PM »
Their hypocrisy is killing old people in Florida.  You would think that would be high on Republicans' list of things not to do in an election year. 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #135 on: July 30, 2020, 09:24:47 AM »
The GOP seems to be suffering from collective dementia for the past decade or so.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #136 on: July 31, 2020, 11:40:01 AM »
Record high deaths were set 4 days in a row this week. In completely unrelated news, the state made it easier for bars and breweries and even strip clubs to get a food service license so many of them are reopening.
All it took was $1,206 — “to the penny,” Foster says — to complete building out a kitchen that was left unfinished when Odd Colony opened in October. The state approved the brewery’s paperwork in a matter of days, an inspection was quickly arranged and on Tuesday, Odd Colony reopened with a permanent food service license.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/voraciously/wp/2020/07/30/bars-strip-clubs-and-breweries-discover-how-to-survive-during-the-pandemic-reopen-as-restaurants/?hpid=hp_food-8-12_restaurantsbars325pm-0730%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans&itid=hp_food-8-12_restaurantsbars325pm-0730%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: July 31, 2020, 04:21:02 PM »

FFFFTTTTT.  Leave the vehicle and buy another.  Not worth dying over.

Yeah, no plans to get it this year at all, and likely not until mid next year if then.  She has neighbours to look in on it for her, turn it on etc. 

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #138 on: August 05, 2020, 08:15:51 PM »

And before us here in Italy, there was China.  I distinctly remember standing the the school courtyard at my kids' school here in Italy and a Chinese immigrant mother telling me, along with a bunch of Italian parents frustratedly, that "Italians aren't taking this virus seriously".  She said that she had relatives in China in the area that was already experiencing the shutdown.  She said that we should all be wearing masks and shutting things down.  Sure enough, about a week later, we were all on full lockdown.

Can I also say as an American immigrant in Italy, that the kinds of lock downs that people did in other parts of the world (from what I could see from social media, the US, the UK, the Netherlands, Australia and probably many other places) was entirely different from what we went through here.  Here in Italy the entire country was locked down from March 9 until mid-May.  We were not allowed to go outside to exercise or hold socially distanced driveway parties.  We were only allowed to go outside alone with a statutory declaration (with criminal penalties for false statements) that we were either going to to 1)food shop at our nearest supermarket or food market, 2) buy necessary pharmaceuticals at our nearest pharmacy, c) going to work in an essential job ie supermarket worker, hospital worker etc -other workplaces were closed or d) walking a dog or jogging/walking within 200 meters of our residence.  There was no other reason to go out, children were not allowed to go outside, no exercising in parks.  People who lived out in the countryside were not allowed to go hiking in the woods near their homes.  We were not allowed to go to our vacation homes, if we had them (although I know some people who did this and were not caught).  We live in an apartment with no balcony or outside space so the only time my kids saw daylight for more than 2 months was when we went up on the roof (they were not allowed to go to the supermarket with us).  We had to wear masks when inside public inside spaces and still do.  Police were checking people's statutory declarations and fining people who were out too far from home, or who were lying on their form.

Looking at what is happening in other countries I now feel like that Chinese mother in the school courtyard - I just don't feel that people in other countries are taking it seriously even DURING their "lockdowns" as there are so many exceptions to rules and gray areas.  I just saw on the news that in the UK only now have they decided that in ten days' time masks will be required in shops.  During their "lockdown" people were meeting their friends in parks and going to relatives houses.

You know I remember looking at videos from Wuhan in January thinking "what the hell is going on over there."    I just couldn't process it correctly.     Because the PRC is so authoritarian I thought it must be some propaganda initiative.   I was thinking "what are they trying to prove by shutting down the whole city?"    Even when they built that giant hospital in a week I just didn't get it.

Cuomo did pretty well.    Doug Ford in Ontario did way better than I expected.    It's easy to second guess everything now and apportioning blame is a long standing political game.    DeSantis?   Not so much.   It's like he thought red states had immunity or something.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #139 on: August 05, 2020, 08:18:29 PM »
I figured it must be serious just because we were willing to repatriate so many people in Janiary, but only by keeping them in isolation, on military bases. That is, the current administration's actions were my first inkling that we were in for something very serious; I don't remember that happening during SARS, and my parents lived in China during that epidemic.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #140 on: August 06, 2020, 07:40:24 AM »
Doug Ford in Ontario did way better than I expected.

I had originally thought this . . . but the current plan for Ontario's school re-opening in September has me wondering.  No social distancing, no distance education, no reduction in class sizes, no mask wearing for any kid grade 3 and under, etc.  These go directly against the published advice of Ford's health advisors.  I get that he's under a lot of pressure to babysit kids in order to force parents to return to work . . . but this seems a little risky.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2020, 07:05:17 PM »
Doug Ford in Ontario did way better than I expected.

I had originally thought this . . . but the current plan for Ontario's school re-opening in September has me wondering.  No social distancing, no distance education, no reduction in class sizes, no mask wearing for any kid grade 3 and under, etc.  These go directly against the published advice of Ford's health advisors.  I get that he's under a lot of pressure to babysit kids in order to force parents to return to work . . . but this seems a little risky.

Can't speak for Scottish, but Doug Ford did way better than I expected too.  Basically because my initial expectations were so low.  ;-/

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2020, 07:25:37 PM »
I can only take solace that my city and county (Tampa, Hillsborough) has been in opposition to DeSantis and has had mandatory mask orders for a few weeks (or is it months now?) for public places. And our county school board had already delayed school opening by 2 weeks, and today decided to make the first 4 of weeks online learning only.

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #143 on: August 06, 2020, 10:50:18 PM »
So has Orange County in Orlando. The mask mandate in our county has definitely helped.
I've seen much more people wearing masks now vs before the mandates.
There was an article saying our county infection rates has gone down greatly.
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/coronavirus/os-ne-coronavirus-update-august-4-20200803-x3e4kcz3tveo5f5mjp4yg3o3bi-story.html

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: August 07, 2020, 11:09:47 AM »
Things are getting a bit better here too. Our county schools are offering parents the choice of virtual, in person, or combination (over 50% chose virtual) and will have rapid testing for all staff and students prior to school start for anyone doing in person.

Is anyone participating in the vaccine trials here? Apparently you can receive up to $2k for participating. Some local Dr's have recently spoken about how the phase 3 trials are "safe" and intended to determine efficacy against infection, rather than side effects.

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #145 on: August 08, 2020, 01:00:53 PM »
Things are getting a bit better here too. Our county schools are offering parents the choice of virtual, in person, or combination (over 50% chose virtual) and will have rapid testing for all staff and students prior to school start for anyone doing in person.

Is anyone participating in the vaccine trials here? Apparently you can receive up to $2k for participating. Some local Dr's have recently spoken about how the phase 3 trials are "safe" and intended to determine efficacy against infection, rather than side effects.

Any information on participating ? I'm somewhat interested.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #146 on: August 10, 2020, 06:07:33 AM »
@Jack0Life if you're central FL, https://accelresearchsites.com/covid-19-clinical-trials/. Saw an article about it not too long ago: https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/07/22/central-floridians-wanted-as-clinic-begins-work-on-covid-19-vaccine/

Apparently they're doing trials for Pfizer, Moderna and German biotech company.

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #147 on: August 10, 2020, 09:50:25 PM »
@Jack0Life if you're central FL, https://accelresearchsites.com/covid-19-clinical-trials/. Saw an article about it not too long ago: https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/07/22/central-floridians-wanted-as-clinic-begins-work-on-covid-19-vaccine/

Apparently they're doing trials for Pfizer, Moderna and German biotech company.

Thanks @Roots&Wings . I'm very Central Florida.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #148 on: August 11, 2020, 03:00:10 PM »
It's telling that the vaccine trials are in Florida.  Other locations are Brazil and South Africa.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: August 11, 2020, 05:14:44 PM »
My new favorite tracker website.  Wow, Florida is doing bad.  https://covidactnow.org/us/fl?s=856166