Author Topic: Not Vaccinating Your Children is Crazy  (Read 105786 times)

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Not Vaccinating Your Children is Crazy
« Reply #350 on: February 10, 2015, 05:46:01 PM »
Well, apparently a group of unvaccinateds have decided to congregate in my town:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/02/09/ottawa-daycare-promises-vaccine-free-environment-for-kids-public-health-is-not-happy-about-it/: Ottawa daycare is promising a ‘vaccine-free environment’ for kids.

Poor kids. I am worried for them.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #351 on: February 10, 2015, 06:07:27 PM »

caliq

• Pencil Stache

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #353 on: February 10, 2015, 06:13:43 PM »

lololol
Seriously I need the link to the data/study, I need to post that on Facebook.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #354 on: February 10, 2015, 06:22:02 PM »
The data source is right on the bottom of the image...I'm sure you can find it off that? It's just a correlation of the two data sets made by some rando, I don't think it's an actual study.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #355 on: February 10, 2015, 07:27:02 PM »
Well, apparently a group of unvaccinateds have decided to congregate in my town:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/02/09/ottawa-daycare-promises-vaccine-free-environment-for-kids-public-health-is-not-happy-about-it/: Ottawa daycare is promising a ‘vaccine-free environment’ for kids.

Don't you mean, rich kids?

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #356 on: February 10, 2015, 07:44:44 PM »
The data source is right on the bottom of the image...I'm sure you can find it off that? It's just a correlation of the two data sets made by some rando, I don't think it's an actual study.
Surely Gin1984 knows that.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #357 on: February 10, 2015, 07:55:11 PM »
But they had to run the stats, getting the data etc, I just need to source documents and my iPad for some reason blurred the info on the figure.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #358 on: February 10, 2015, 08:04:42 PM »
But they had to run the stats, getting the data etc, I just need to source documents and my iPad for some reason blurred the info on the figure.

Ah, my bad!

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #359 on: February 11, 2015, 12:42:50 AM »

I heard about this on the radio today.  Seriously, what could possibly go wrong?

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #360 on: February 11, 2015, 01:03:53 AM »

I heard about this on the radio today.  Seriously, what could possibly go wrong?
Are you serious?? Some child gets the measles, so the whole lot get it - and with measles, you don't know you've got it until 3 days after you're infectious (similarly with most of the other diseases that are vaccinated against) - so there's no way you could tell.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #361 on: February 11, 2015, 06:34:29 AM »

Are you serious?? Some child gets the measles, so the whole lot get it - and with measles, you don't know you've got it until 3 days after you're infectious (similarly with most of the other diseases that are vaccinated against) - so there's no way you could tell.

I think your sarcasm detector is broken, or at least that's how I read it originally.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #362 on: February 11, 2015, 06:40:18 AM »

I think your sarcasm detector is broken, or at least that's how I read it originally.
I am assuming it was sarcasm, mostly because even if it is not, I want the delusion that people are not that dumb.  People keep working hard to destroy my delusion but I am holding on.  ;)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #363 on: February 11, 2015, 08:00:02 PM »

I am assuming it was sarcasm, mostly because even if it is not, I want the delusion that people are not that dumb.  People keep working hard to destroy my delusion but I am holding on.  ;)
I hoped it was sarcasm, but given some of the responses here...

Etihwdivadnai

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #364 on: February 11, 2015, 08:21:49 PM »
For those of you not familiar with BBC Radio 4 comedy show "The Now Show"
here's a rather pertinent song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YCGMqp6kBE

(Mitchell & Webb's "Homeopathic A&E" is qute funny too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGIbOGu8q0 )

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #365 on: February 11, 2015, 09:20:14 PM »
(Mitchell & Webb's "Homeopathic A&E" is qute funny too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGIbOGu8q0 )
That was fantastic - I MUST remember about homeopathic lager next time I am with some drinkers.

Unfortunately the vaccination song would only be any good for those who already vaccinate.

okonumiyaki

• Stubble
« Reply #366 on: February 12, 2015, 01:36:12 AM »
For those from the ex-colonies.  A&E is English for ER (Accident & Emergency vs Emergency Response)

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #367 on: February 12, 2015, 02:35:48 AM »
For those from the ex-colonies.  A&E is English for ER (Accident & Emergency vs Emergency Response)

ER is Emergency Room, not Emergency Response.

It's actually called the ED (Emergency Department) in most hospitals these days, but no one actually uses that except healthcare personnel, in my experience.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #368 on: February 12, 2015, 07:02:21 AM »

I love the idea of grouping together the unvaccinated.  It should be mandatory.

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #369 on: February 12, 2015, 10:10:11 AM »

I love the idea of grouping together the unvaccinated.  It should be mandatory.

And the facilities could be paid for by raising funds through the sale of vaccine waivers.
Last I looked, each measles case costs about 10-30k public $$.
So it stands to reason to charge an administrative fee for the vaccine exemption certificate of about $5k per child and per disease.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tarahaelle/2015/02/11/measles-outbreak-in-dollars-and-cents-it-costs-taxpayers-bigtime/
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 04:33:26 PM by PeteD01 »

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #370 on: February 12, 2015, 04:33:16 PM »
Not getting your children (or yourself) vaccinated is idiotic, and all available scientific knowledge clearly shows this to be the case.

With that being said, the government should NOT be mandating fluids to be injected into one's body against one's will. Personal liberty comes first. I'm fine with excluding unvaccinated people from public places, or whatever is necessary, but the government has no business doing something with forcing something into someone's body against their will.

My husband was vaccinated as a child, but now has a chronic illness that he needs to take immunosuppressant drugs for, for the rest of his life. As a consequence he is unable to be vaccinated against anything that has worn off. What he's got now is it for him.

So you're ok with people like him, kids with compromised immune systems etc. being excluded from public places? Really?

I think it should be up to each institution. I've fine with private institutions refusing to allow vaccinated people to enter. However, for a mandatory public institution, such as country with compulsory education, that is not acceptable, as there is no choice to not participate in the education system (FYI, I strongly disagree with compulsory education).

Not getting your children (or yourself) vaccinated is idiotic, and all available scientific knowledge clearly shows this to be the case.

With that being said, the government should NOT be mandating fluids to be injected into one's body against one's will. Personal liberty comes first. I'm fine with excluding unvaccinated people from public places, or whatever is necessary, but the government has no business doing something with forcing something into someone's body against their will.

My husband was vaccinated as a child, but now has a chronic illness that he needs to take immunosuppressant drugs for, for the rest of his life. As a consequence he is unable to be vaccinated against anything that has worn off. What he's got now is it for him.

So you're ok with people like him, kids with compromised immune systems etc. being excluded from public places? Really?
Absolutely not.  That is why we, as a society, have a responsibility to vaccinate, so those like your husband who rely on the herd are able to live as full a life as they can.

I don't recognize "society" as having a responsibility to do anything. Each individual is responsible only to themselves, and as such have the freedom to make poor choices, such as not vaccinating. I do recognize the responsibility to not do something harmful to society, such as killing someone. But never does that take the active sense, of an individual being forced to actively do something helpful to society.

In an ideal world, everyone should want to help the rest of society, but there should be no use of force allowed. That, by definition, is not a free society.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #371 on: February 12, 2015, 04:54:49 PM »
Not vaccinating is doing something harmful to society, and as discussed multiple times in this thread, could directly lead to killing someone.

It's equivalent to driving a car and swerving all over the road constantly.  You're still endangering others even if you aren't actively hitting someone every second of your swerving.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #372 on: February 12, 2015, 04:55:11 PM »

I don't recognize "society" as having a responsibility to do anything. Each individual is responsible only to themselves, and as such have the freedom to make poor choices, such as not vaccinating. I do recognize the responsibility to not do something harmful to society, such as killing someone. But never does that take the active sense, of an individual being forced to actively do something helpful to society.

In an ideal world, everyone should want to help the rest of society, but there should be no use of force allowed. That, by definition, is not a free society.

I disagree with your premise.

You are describing a bunch of individuals, not a 'society'. Most political philosophers conceptualize 'liberty' as existing within the context of obligation, self-imposed or otherwise.  Like it or not, social obligation exists and there are many places where individuals are forced to participate (presumably for the better good). Taxes and jury duty are the first examples that come to mind. Historically, the military draft would have been included as well. Simply obeying laws, and accepting the framework of laws falls into that category as well. It is reasonable to require things of citizens when there is a demonstrable public good.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #373 on: February 12, 2015, 05:25:58 PM »
Not vaccinating is doing something harmful to society, and as discussed multiple times in this thread, could directly lead to killing someone.

It's equivalent to driving a car and swerving all over the road constantly.  You're still endangering others even if you aren't actively hitting someone every second of your swerving.

NOT doing something helpful to society is passively, not actively, harming society. Driving recklessly is active. Not getting vaccinated could result in indirect harm, but it's simply not doing anything, which is not active.

Actively harming society would be walking around while sick with a deadly disease, endangering others.

I disagree with your premise.

You are describing a bunch of individuals, not a 'society'. Most political philosophers conceptualize 'liberty' as existing within the context of obligation, self-imposed or otherwise.  Like it or not, social obligation exists and there are many places where individuals are forced to participate (presumably for the better good). Taxes and jury duty are the first examples that come to mind. Historically, the military draft would have been included as well. Simply obeying laws, and accepting the framework of laws falls into that category as well. It is reasonable to require things of citizens when there is a demonstrable public good.

Mandatory jury duty is out due to forcing someone to do something (voluntary is just fine though).  The income tax is out due to forcibly taking someone's income against their will, but I'm fine with a tax on spending, as we have the choice to spend or not spend. And of course the draft is out.

I can't think of anything that a citizen should actively be required to do as a participant of society.

okonumiyaki

• Stubble
« Reply #374 on: February 12, 2015, 05:30:13 PM »
Yep, as Glenstache says, individuals been forced to do things that are helpful to society as a whole is pretty much a given, and doesn't make society unfree.  Driving licenses, jury duty, paying taxes, emission standards, there's a long list.

If you view taxes as making a society unfree (and some libertarians do, as taxes are enforced by jail) that is your opinion, but not one I share

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #375 on: February 12, 2015, 05:36:06 PM »
Yep, as Glenstache says, individuals been forced to do things that are helpful to society as a whole is pretty much a given, and doesn't make society unfree.  Driving licenses, jury duty, paying taxes, emission standards, there's a long list.

If you view taxes as making a society unfree (and some libertarians do, as taxes are enforced by jail) that is your opinion, but not one I share

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, then. If someone is forced to do anything, no matter how simple or easy the task, that is a limitation on their freedom. It may be a perfectly easy thing to do, but forcing someone to do something is never justifiable, no matter how beneficial the action is to society.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #376 on: February 12, 2015, 05:37:13 PM »
Beric01, I think you really have not thought this through - so you would be happy with no standards, no education, no money, no property, no roads...

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #377 on: February 12, 2015, 06:22:59 PM »
Beric01, I think you really have not thought this through - so you would be happy with no standards, no education, no money, no property, no roads...

You are too generous. Thinking something through would require the ability to think coherently while sticking to the subject. Weak thinking doesn't work that way and that's why he is all over the place. (In other words: he's got a hammer and everything looks like a nail)

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #378 on: February 12, 2015, 07:16:34 PM »

NOT doing something helpful to society is passively, not actively, harming society. Driving recklessly is active. Not getting vaccinated could result in indirect harm, but it's simply not doing anything, which is not active.

Actively harming society would be walking around while sick with a deadly disease, endangering others.

Some diseases we vaccinate for have contagious periods that set in before symptoms arise. 

So by avoiding vaccination, you are, by default, potentially walking around sick with a deadly disease, endangering others. 

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #379 on: February 12, 2015, 07:27:24 PM »

Some diseases we vaccinate for have contagious periods that set in before symptoms arise. 

So by avoiding vaccination, you are, by default, potentially walking around sick with a deadly disease, endangering others.

Don't bother to educate someone who has already shown that he can't be bothered to learn something about things before offering an opinion about the same - pearls to the swine...

MOD NOTE: Please watch the personal attacks. Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 05:35:22 PM by arebelspy »

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #380 on: February 12, 2015, 07:41:16 PM »
Don't bother to educate someone who has already shown that he can't be bothered to learn something about things before offering an opinion about the same - pearls to the swine...

Lol, true.  I'm procrastinating finishing a paper that needs to be done by tomorrow...grasping at straws to have an excuse to stay on the interwebs :/

In other news...I've never heard that saying before!  Interesting.  Google tells me it's biblical?

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #381 on: February 12, 2015, 08:01:58 PM »
Casting pearls before swine - Sermon on the Mount, so very biblical - straight from Jesus' mouth!

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #382 on: February 12, 2015, 08:05:48 PM »
Casting pearls before swine - Sermon on the Mount, so very biblical - straight from Jesus' mouth!

Was raised by a tree hugging hippy mom and a dad who was absolutely neutral on anything related to religion (except we weirdly weren't allowed to say oh my god?)...I had to Google Sermon on the Mount xD  Learn something (lots of things) new every day!

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #383 on: February 13, 2015, 01:15:11 PM »

Like the people who spread measles for the four days they're contagious before they start showing symptoms?

"Measles is a highly contagious virus that lives in the nose and throat mucus of an infected person. It can spread to others through coughing and sneezing. Also, measles virus can live for up to two hours on a surface or in an airspace where the infected person coughed or sneezed. If other people breathe the contaminated air or touch the infected surface, then touch their eyes, noses, or mouths, they can become infected. Measles is so contagious that if one person has it, 90% of the people close to that person who are not immune will also become infected.

Infected people can spread measles to others from four days before to four days after the rash appears."

Source: http://www.cdc.gov/measles/about/transmission.html

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #384 on: February 13, 2015, 05:02:38 PM »

Like the people who spread measles for the four days they're contagious before they start showing symptoms?

"Measles is a highly contagious virus that lives in the nose and throat mucus of an infected person. It can spread to others through coughing and sneezing. Also, measles virus can live for up to two hours on a surface or in an airspace where the infected person coughed or sneezed. If other people breathe the contaminated air or touch the infected surface, then touch their eyes, noses, or mouths, they can become infected. Measles is so contagious that if one person has it, 90% of the people close to that person who are not immune will also become infected.

Infected people can spread measles to others from four days before to four days after the rash appears."

Source: http://www.cdc.gov/measles/about/transmission.html

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #385 on: February 13, 2015, 05:19:40 PM »

Yep, old Jewish wisdom perfect for our times

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #386 on: February 13, 2015, 09:51:06 PM »

MOD NOTE: Please watch the personal attacks. Thanks.

I am a libertarian myself and if the cub is worth his salt he will understand.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #387 on: March 03, 2015, 01:34:22 AM »
I have just been getting some vaccinations because I am going overseas. It occurred to me - what do people who don't vaccinate their children do when they go overseas? Do they get vaccinated? Do they vaccinate their children?

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #388 on: March 03, 2015, 05:39:37 AM »
I have just been getting some vaccinations because I am going overseas. It occurred to me - what do people who don't vaccinate their children do when they go overseas? Do they get vaccinated? Do they vaccinate their children?

Some do; some don't. The latter category are the ones who create outbreaks like the current one. I believe the measles outbreak has been traced to the Philippines. It was likely an unvaccinated American who went there, contracted it there, and brought it back.

Ambergris

• Stubble
« Reply #389 on: March 13, 2015, 03:42:42 PM »
I support the parents right to vaccinate.  I also support the parents right to not vaccinate.

One to see before taking shots:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3IMSUApeW4

Wow, what a pile of junk. I feel very sorry for these mothers whose children are sick or dead - terrible. But someone needs to teach these people that causation=/=correlation, and for any large group of people, there are bound to be a few children who happen to get sick just after their shots.

There are also bound to be a few children who may be allergic to the contents of these vaccines. This is an argument for testing children for allergies, rather than allowing non-vacc generally. Of course there should be exceptions made to vaccination/school attendance for such children: but this is precisely what makes it absolutely necessary to vaccinate everybody else.

As for the apparent experts, one is a television weather presenter, one is pediatric nurse, and the other is Richard Deth, whose expert brief was submitted in the MMR and Autism trials trying to support his view that thimerasol is implicated in autism. 

And I should like to add: the very fact that anyone would think this was a reason to advocate non-vacc is in itself a strong argument for required critical thinking classes in all schools, not just required vaccination.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 03:46:01 PM by Ambergris »

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #390 on: March 13, 2015, 04:17:09 PM »
I support the parents right to vaccinate.  I also support the parents right to not vaccinate.

That's like supporting parents' rights to kill their children from easily preventable diseases.  Those parents should be ashamed of themselves.  They don't love their children.

cjottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #391 on: March 16, 2015, 11:19:59 AM »

I support the right to know who around me has chosen to not vaccinate so I can avoid them.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #392 on: March 16, 2015, 11:46:40 AM »
....They don't love their children.

This is probably a bit strong. I think the issue is that they are poorly informed. Based on a faulty understanding of the risks and benefits of vaccination, they make what they believe to be the best choice, as unfortunate as those choices are.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #393 on: March 18, 2015, 09:23:23 AM »

This is probably a bit strong. I think the issue is that they are poorly informed. Based on a faulty understanding of the risks and benefits of vaccination, they make what they believe to be the best choice, as unfortunate as those choices are.

Exactly.  It's not that they don't love their children, it's that they are too stupid to be able to make responsible decisions about their children.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #394 on: March 18, 2015, 02:33:17 PM »

Exactly.  It's not that they don't love their children, it's that they are too stupid to be able to make responsible decisions about their children.

If they loved their children, they would want to educate themselves about vaccines, but they see their children as dolls and they don't love them.  I'm a big believer in the power of shame of enact change.

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #395 on: March 18, 2015, 07:44:37 PM »
I doubt that shame would make a difference with these people but with them seeing "their children as dolls" you are on to something.
It is one thing to treat one's children as narcissistic projects whose role is to satisfy one's own emotional needs and quite another to see them as people, with all the responsibilities it comes with.
I think both ways can be characterized as love but only the latter could reasonably be called love of their children.
It is ironic that the video exposes the mindset of the anti-vaccers so vividly. I actually had to check if it was anti-anti-vaccer or anti-vaccer halfway into it. But irony appears to be lost on these guys or they wouldn't be anti-vaccers, would they?
In any case, collectively, they are serious contenders for a future Darwin Award.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #396 on: March 18, 2015, 08:01:55 PM »
I doubt that shame would make a difference with these people but with them seeing "their children as dolls" you are on to something.
It is one thing to treat one's children as narcissistic projects whose role is to satisfy one's own emotional needs and quite another to see them as people, with all the responsibilities it comes with.
I think both ways can be characterized as love but only the latter could reasonably be called love of their children.
It is ironic that the video exposes the mindset of the anti-vaccers so vividly. I actually had to check if it was anti-anti-vaccer or anti-vaccer halfway into it. But irony appears to be lost on these guys or they wouldn't be anti-vaccers, would they?
In any case, collectively, they are serious contenders for a future Darwin Award.
Actually shame has been shown to work, in this case it appears to be most effective.  Education has been shown not to be effective. 

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #397 on: March 19, 2015, 05:22:05 AM »
Actually shame has been shown to work, in this case it appears to be most effective.  Education has been shown not to be effective.

I'm aware that education does not work.
But shame does increase vaccination rates or just in shutting up the nutters?
I'm definitely in favor of shaming the anti-vaccers who stick their head out in public but not so much the individual who suffers from poor judgement and under social pressure has essentially become a victim. (For example, I'd put most of the affected in the Amish outbreak in that category.)
Fear does increase vaccination rates though - unfortunately it requires outbreaks and a number of highly publicized deaths or other poor outcomes for the appropriate level of fear of disease to be reestablished.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #398 on: March 19, 2015, 07:20:04 AM »

I'm aware that education does not work.
But shame does increase vaccination rates or just in shutting up the nutters?
I'm definitely in favor of shaming the anti-vaccers who stick their head out in public but not so much the individual who suffers from poor judgement and under social pressure has essentially become a victim. (For example, I'd put most of the affected in the Amish outbreak in that category.)
Fear does increase vaccination rates though - unfortunately it requires outbreaks and a number of highly publicized deaths or other poor outcomes for the appropriate level of fear of disease to be reestablished.
If there is a threat, it can work. 
"Marin County pediatrician Nelson Branco hasn't given up on convincing nonvaccinators. He gave parents an ultimatum in 2012: Vaccinate your toddler against measles, mumps and rubella by the time the kid is 2 years old, or find a new pediatrician.

And for some people, it worked.

"There were many families who were on the fence about vaccines who chose to get the MMR vaccine and stayed in our practice," he says. "There were very few families that left our practice."

Fewer than 20 families left, and about 150 families chose to vaccinate."
Some private schools have done the same.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #399 on: March 19, 2015, 07:21:21 AM »
This past week-end my kids were playing outside with the non-vaxxing neighbor kids. This was the first time in months. After 30 minutes or so, the parent said, "We'll probably head in now. Kid X has a fever and is feeling quite tired now." It was clear that he knew about said fever prior to letting our children play together.  After giving my husband a "WTF?" expression, we promptly sent our kids in to wash their hands.

Less than 24 hours later, we went to the nearby park, only to find the sick kid playing with other kids again.

Apparently the family is okay with sharing all kinds of communicable diseases with the unsuspecting public. I'm sure it's part and parcel of the same mindset of special snowflakedom and the misplaced notion that viruses and bacteria are not actually that harmful.