Author Topic: Need to take food. Suggestions?  (Read 3384 times)

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
Need to take food. Suggestions?
« on: April 30, 2017, 04:48:56 PM »
I have a colleague coming home tomorrow after having heart surgery and a cousin having a baby next week.  I want to take food.  Suggestions?

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
Re: Need to take food. Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 05:05:47 PM »
I don't have any personal recommendation s but the blog Pinch of Yum did a series on comfort food to bring to a person.  She had quite a few good looking recipes if you look back over the past month or so

VeggieGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 10:54:58 PM »
Maybe something like a lasagna with a green salad? or soup? Both are fairly easy to make and easy to re-heat for the colleague or cousin. Healthy snacks like fruit?

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 03:37:25 AM »
My friend made me a salmon and broccoli rice pilaf/casserole which was much appreciated. She froze it in an aluminium pan, so when I wanted to eat it, I just popped it in the oven. I thought that was ingenious because we got a ton of food, so we didn't have to worry about her food going bad. And we could eat it one or two weeks later when there were fewer people bringing over food.

Fish, veggies, and rice/noodles might be a good idea for both. Salmon is rich in omega-3s - good for nursing mothers, and the meal is also healthy and low fat.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 04:33:14 AM »
I like to take a quiche or two for these types of things. I can make four at a time, using different cheeses and fillings (spinach, bacon and Swiss in two, and sausage, cheddar and red pepper in the other). So it's fast for me. I also make a dessert, cut fruit and/or green salad. I like that quiche is something that tastes good any time of the day. And if they have had too many people bru g things over, they can freeze and have it another time.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 02:43:07 PM »
My go-to now in that kind of situation is breakfast stuff: bagels, cream cheese, fresh-squeezed orange juice, cut fruit.

Portable, no-fuss food they can grab any time of day.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 11:08:41 AM »
I like to take a quiche or two for these types of things. I can make four at a time, using different cheeses and fillings (spinach, bacon and Swiss in two, and sausage, cheddar and red pepper in the other). So it's fast for me. I also make a dessert, cut fruit and/or green salad. I like that quiche is something that tastes good any time of the day. And if they have had too many people bru g things over, they can freeze and have it another time.

Plus one to quiche. Buy pre-made, pre-rolled pastry, then do a few different fillings. It refridgerates and freezes. And the best thing is, they can eat it cold if they want to, so they don't need to plan ahead and make the effort of reheating (which can be a big effort if you're ill). And if you fancy it, make a sweet tart in the same way - fill the pastry up with apple slices (or some other fruit) and pour over a sweetened egg-filling-mixture.

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 11:14:08 AM »
I would try to do something heart healthy, like crock pot sweet potato chili or vegan Shepard's Pie. Both are quite delicious!

Hold the salt and try to get low salt canned beans. There will be enough salt in the canned tomatoes.
https://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/slow-cooker-vegetarian-chili-with-sweet-potatoes

Hold the salt here too:
http://minimalistbaker.com/1-hour-vegan-shepherds-pie/

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 08:23:04 PM »
With new babies I really appreciated things could eat with my hands, no plates,no cooking. Carrot muffins were high on my list. Lots of raisins, coconut, filling and satisfying.

Whatever you do don't use a plate or container that has to be washed and returned to you. 

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 09:56:15 AM »
I typically make a huge pot of soup and freeze it in separate 1 qt containers it is easy for the person to heat it up with little cleanup.

As other have mentioned everyone seems to bring stuff that needs to be consumed rather quickly so this is something that they can use later in the week or a month down the road as well.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 10:16:19 AM »
I recently had neighbors make an excellent meatloaf and a Shepard's pie that were great.  My go to is baked ziti.

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 05:40:35 AM »
Just an update...I took a fruit/veggie basket with items that could be eaten by hand and required no refrigeration.  Grapes, strawberries, oranges, apples, little peppers, etc. Big hit!  thanks for your suggestions.