Author Topic: Mustachians - let's fix America  (Read 12902 times)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Re: Mustachians - let's fix America
« Reply #100 on: September 07, 2018, 08:15:49 PM »
OK, now it is officially time for me to stop worrying about SOMEONE BEING WRONG ON THE INTERNET (!!!) and do something useful.  :)

Let me know when you find really good motivation for that, I could use some :). Not to argue, but if 97~98% of climate scientists think that we have a real problem on our hands, shouldn't we say "there's a 3% chance that we are wrong, but we REALLY need to address this before it is a huge crisis?"

Another argument of Scott Adams is "a research scientist that does not publish is not a research scientist." If the gate keepers at a magazine believe in climate change, they can keep you from publishing if you doubt climate change.

Essentially peer pressure may account for that 97% rather than reflect a person's actual views.

Do you have any evidence at all for this?

Honestly, a scientist that is able to disprove the temperature effects of greenhouse gas emissions on the global climate will go down in history on the same level as Newton, Galileo, Curie, Einstein et al.

Publishers will be clamouring to get the scoop on it. The fact that something like this hasn't been published tells you that it hasn't happened.

Scientific journals can't simply post a skeptic's view simply in the interests of balance. Once a skeptic comes up with peer-reviewed evidence, then talk to me about bias. Until then, don't believe the conspiracy theories.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: September 07, 2018, 08:29:30 PM »
Evidence!?! What is this, 2015?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2018, 09:38:49 PM »
Another argument of Scott Adams is "a research scientist that does not publish is not a research scientist." If the gate keepers at a magazine believe in climate change, they can keep you from publishing if you doubt climate change.

Essentially peer pressure may account for that 97% rather than reflect a person's actual views.

I live with a full time PhD research scientist, so I might be a little biased, but people don't devote their entire adult lives making shit up. How much money do you think Exxon and BP would be willing to donate to research if they actually thought they could disprove the CO2 climate link? How many journals would they start? In fact, it was the exact opposite. Furthermore, why would NASA and NOAA be complicit in this incompetent publishing scheme? Don't they have better things to work on?

gentmach

• Bristles
« Reply #103 on: September 08, 2018, 04:13:21 AM »
OK, now it is officially time for me to stop worrying about SOMEONE BEING WRONG ON THE INTERNET (!!!) and do something useful.  :)

Let me know when you find really good motivation for that, I could use some :). Not to argue, but if 97~98% of climate scientists think that we have a real problem on our hands, shouldn't we say "there's a 3% chance that we are wrong, but we REALLY need to address this before it is a huge crisis?"

Do you have any evidence at all for this?

Honestly, a scientist that is able to disprove the temperature effects of greenhouse gas emissions on the global climate will go down in history on the same level as Newton, Galileo, Curie, Einstein et al.

Publishers will be clamouring to get the scoop on it. The fact that something like this hasn't been published tells you that it hasn't happened.

Scientific journals can't simply post a skeptic's view simply in the interests of balance. Once a skeptic comes up with peer-reviewed evidence, then talk to me about bias. Until then, don't believe the conspiracy theories.

I believe we were talking about people's opinions. Not actual fact. People can say one thing and do another. Seeing as how I cannot read people's minds I have no evidence.

gentmach

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: September 08, 2018, 04:55:32 AM »

I live with a full time PhD research scientist, so I might be a little biased, but people don't devote their entire adult lives making shit up. How much money do you think Exxon and BP would be willing to donate to research if they actually thought they could disprove the CO2 climate link? How many journals would they start? In fact, it was the exact opposite. Furthermore, why would NASA and NOAA be complicit in this incompetent publishing scheme? Don't they have better things to work on?

In the 70's National Geographic claimed Florida would be underwater by the year 2000. There isn't a downside to publishing a prediction because no one will remember it if it is wrong.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #105 on: September 08, 2018, 05:35:39 AM »

In the 70's National Geographic claimed Florida would be underwater by the year 2000. There isn't a downside to publishing a prediction because no one will remember it if it is wrong.

I think you're confused as to what counts as a "published research paper"

gentmach

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: September 08, 2018, 06:30:10 AM »

It was simply to illustrate the point that claims can be made about the future with impunity.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #107 on: September 08, 2018, 07:22:48 AM »

It was simply to illustrate the point that claims can be made about the future with impunity.

Your point falls flat because it doesn't actually respond to anything being discussed. Research papers are not opinion papers. Few research papers ever make guesses about future events, or if they do, they are decidedly marked as such.

You can find some magazine that claims just about anything from anytime, but it doesn't matter because it has nothing to do with what the actual research is.

People don't forget. The opinions they spouted are just irrelevant. You can't keep looking at past opiniona. We're talking about today. What do we know today.

We all know that Al Gore made wild claims. No one forgot. It just doesn't matter. We have better research. We have better models. We have more knowledge. And that knowledge all points to a human contributed climate change. All doomsday scenarios are guesses. Nothing more.

intellectsucks

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: September 08, 2018, 07:52:20 AM »
Advertisement is not speech.

The statement 'Abortion is murder' is not speech.  The statement 'I believe abortion is murder' is.  There's a subtle but important difference.  The first is unsupported conjecture masquerading as fact.

Limits upon money spend advertising do not limit free speech.
Actually, advertisement absolutely is speech.  If you don’t think so, consider these scenarios:
-I own one home, and put up a billboard supporting a specific issue/candidate.  My neighbor owns 10 properties and puts up billboards supporting the opposing issue/candidate on all of his properties.
-I decide that a new tax on Product X is awful and head downtown to hand out flyers highlighting why it’s so awful.
-A group of climate scientists take out a full page ad in the New York Times stating that climate change is real and represents a serious threat to humanity.  They include a list of scientists who have signed a statement saying the same claim.  They urge readers to contact their congressperson and press them to take action to curb climate change.
-After the Democratic presidential primary, Michael Moore releases a documentary called “Hail to the Chump”, an in depth expose on all of President Trump’s many flaws.
-A newspaper publishes an op-ed about why their paper endorses candidate X or position Y.
Which of these are ads subject to limits and which are not?  Why?

Advertising is what happens when you inflict your message upon someone in an unsolicited manner.  It can be used to convey information, but is not speech . . . more propaganda.  The first three points listed fall into this.  The last two items you listed are personal opinion, and only made available to people who solicit them (buy the newspaper, attend the documentary) so I'd classify them differently and as speech.

Also, beliefs do not need to be preceded by the words “I believe” to be protected by the first amendment as speech.  Most policy proposals are unsupported conjecture masquerading as fact.  “A $15 minimum wage helps workers”, “Expanding oil drilling will lead to a better economy and less dependence on foreign providers”, “Expanding Medicaid is the best way to improve access to health care”.  “Reducing corporate taxes and regulations are the best way to improve the economy”.

Agreed, many people masquerade their opinions as fact.  That's not a reason to protect them as though believing and telling lies was a fundamentally important right though.

I don't subscribe to the common American idea that the contents of the constitution are sacrosanct and the best thing ever.  While there's a lot of good in there, I think that some stuff is currently doing harm to the country.  Regarding the first amendment for example, I believe that it should be illegal to knowingly pass off lies as fact and that there should be an addition to slander and libel laws to cover this.

The concern that was raised about money in politics is that it drowns out competing messages.  Are there ANY competing messages that are currently being drowned out?

Being drowned out completely?  Probably not.  But being drowned out effectively?  Yeah, there sure are.

You mentioned climate change earlier for example.  There exists no scientific doubt of any kind that climate change is real and is happening.  Near enough to 100% of climate scientists will tell you that the data shows that it's happening.  Yet some businesses with deep pockets have been able to abuse their free speech to manufacture a 'controversy' surrounding the science.

When there is total consensus on the facts of an issue, but people are able to lie hard enough to convince people otherwise . . . and their lying is protected by the constitution, there is something wrong with the constitution.
-Regarding what you consider advertising: I’m confused.  Earlier you said you were fine with people putting up messages on their own property.  Now it is “advertising” subject to limits?  Also, your opinion of what is and is not speech is not widely supported by legal precedent.  Handing out flyers, putting up billboards and taking out advertisements are all examples that have been held up as protected free speech.  What is your reasoning for separating “political” vs “commercial” advertising?
-Regarding opinions vs fact: Which of those examples do you consider to be lies?  Because I can supply pages of evidence to support both sides of each of those policies.  The right of free speech is considered sacrosanct by far more than Americans; it is a fundamental human right recognized by all modern democracies.
-Regarding being drowned out: What an interesting example you’re using.  Is there any doubt that the vast majority of money, time, energy and intellectual capital is being spent to promote the idea that climate change is real and serious?  Additionally, you refer to it as completely settled and say that any other opinion is a lie.  Here is a list of reputable scientists who disagree with your opinion on climate science https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scientists_who_disagree_with_the_scientific_consensus_on_global_warming
 Things like abortion, economic issues and climate issues are complex, difficult and in many case have many complex and subtle nuances.  New advances are made constantly that show that previous beliefs were wrong.  Suppose it turns out that someone like Freeman Dyson is correct on climate change.  Does that make you and everyone else who believes the current consensus on climate change “liars”?

Of course advertising (not being speech) should be subject to limits.  I mentioned before what I thought reasonable limits on political billboard advertising might be.  The appeal to authority of legal precedent is unimportant in a discussion of what should be.  This discussion was about politics and political advertising, but I'm also of the opinion that the constant bombardment of advertisement by commercial sources is fundamentally detrimental to society as well.  I'd rank the egregiousness of the offence as significantly higher when it is inflicted upon people than when they seek it out though.

Contrary to the opinion (and actions) of the current President of the United States, objective reality exists.  Science is the single best tool that humanity has devised to understand that objective reality.  If you are claiming things that go against the commonly accepted consensus without good hard data to back it up, you should be held accountable for these attempts to distort reality.  If you're able to prove your dissenting case conclusively, then yes . . . anyone who continues to push a discredited theory is a liar and should be treated as such.
Ok, did some mildly productive stuff so now I feel slightly less bad about arguing with a stranger on the internet.  :D

-If I’m understanding your argument, the main difference between “speech” and “advertising” is whether or not the receiver of the message has voluntarily chosen to receive that message (people who choose to read a newspaper are getting “speech” from op-eds, people being handed a flyer are getting “advertisement”).  So by this definition, protestors and marchers, who are inflicting their message on others, are participating in advertising and can be limited/shut down.  Same thing with murals.  Since art is quite often extremely political, those too would subject to limitations.  Movies would not be subject to limitations since viewing them is avoidable, but billboards for political movies are NOT avoidable, so they WOULD be subject to limitation.  Unfortunately we live in a time when EVERY movie is political, so all of them would be subject to those regulations.  Nike’s controversial new ad clearly has a political subtext, so that would be limited as well.
-Just because you say that advertisement is not speech does not make it true.  The right to free speech is recognized as a protection for people to express thoughts, feelings, facts, theories, beliefs and opinions without fear of reprisal from the government.  I brought up the long, long history of legal precedent regarding free speech because this is an idea that has been tested in the marketplace of ideas many, many times before landing on our current understanding of it.  If you want to redefine a well established concept, then you need extraordinarily good reasoning for why.  “Because I don’t like it”, just doesn’t pass muster.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: September 08, 2018, 08:07:28 AM »

Sorry for the confusing formatting, I’m at work and formatting posts the way I want is more difficult than it’s worth.
-Regarding congressional districts, I do believe that legislatures should be able to draw their own districts as a check on federal power and to attempt to balance the needs and interests of various groups within their state.  The system as it is has been abused, and an unfortunate side effect is that some voters are un-empowered at the expense of others.  I do not want to see it change though, because I believe the alternative will lead to large, populous urban centers having even more outsized influence at the state and federal level than they already do.  Drawing them the way you want will also disempower some voters at the expense of others: rural areas will have little or no say in government policy due to their low population.

This is probably another "agree to disagree" point.  Congresspersons represent people, not areas.  Each rural person's vote will count just as much as each urban person's vote.  And congressional districts are generally small enough that I suspect it would be rare to get a major rural/urban divide within one district.  Some districts in the Midwest and west may be huge, but in those situations, I suspect the "urban" areas within the districts aren't likely to be urban in the sense of east coast urban areas.

-Regarding the national vote and working for people not states: the people in those states with lower populations deserve a say in the government as well.  Their needs and interests are very different than the needs and interests of densely populated areas.  I’ll restate my question: if the most populous areas of the country generally held beliefs that were mostly the opposite of your own, would you still be for the abolition of the electoral college?
  Yes.  And I'm starting to get annoyed at the insinuation that I'm only interested in pursuing partisan political advantage, when in actuality the changes I'm proposing are mostly aimed at getting rid of the underhanded pursuit of partisan political advantage.

-Regarding Congress running the country without the various agencies.  We’ll have to agree to disagree, since I do believe they can and they should.  The constitution actually prohibits one branch from abdicating their duties to another branch.  This provision is rarely, if ever enforced though.  I’ll use an example that I hope everyone will agree is not partisan: the Veterans Administration.  The VA is an awful cesspool of corruption, mismanagement and waste.  There were various scandals under Obama that got national attention.  Eventually he swapped one figurehead for another as the top guy there.  Trump came in and hired some new patsy to head up the agency.  Actual change?  ZERO.  What are the consequences for all three of these losers for running arguably the most corrupt and mismanaged dept in the federal government?  They had to spend a day in Washington in front of cameras being told that various congresspeople were very disappointed in them.  HOW AWFUL.  If a congressman allows something shitty enough to happen, they are voted out.  Accountability and consequences are how to police behavior.  The separation of powers provides for that, the current system of these executive departments having legislative power does not.

I think you're pretty far out of the mainstream on this one, so yes, we'll have to agree to disagree.

-You keep referencing “political campaigns” and “issue ads”.  There is no black and white definition of what qualifies as one of these and what doesn’t.  Planned Parenthood would argue that they promote awareness of health issues; pro-life groups say planned parenthood is pushing a political pro-choice agenda.  Is a KKK recruitment video political speech?  A political campaign?  How about the movie Farenheit 9/11?  A book that trashes Trump?  A website about how awful labor unions are?  Lobbyist is the only job that is specifically approved of in the constitution: citizens have the right to petition their government.  They have the right to political speech individually and as groups.  Restricting those rights inevitably leads to the slippery slope.

Any campaign or ad that refers to a candidate for office or a ballot initiative is clearly political advertising.  Any ad that says "vote for people who support/oppose abortion" is clearly political advertising.  But we don't have to reinvent the wheel here; McCain/Feingold already had a workable definition that we can build on.  That law may have been struck down as unconstitutional, but that's a reason why this needs to be done through constitutional amendment, not a reason to throw up our hands and say it can't be done.
-Regarding the “one person one vote” thing you keep talking about.  Let’s imagine a scenario where congress is considering a bill that levies a 5% tax on any property over .5 acres.  These funds will be used to improve inner city schools.  A bill like this would benefit residents of cities at the expense of residents of rural areas, since the majority of properties in cities are less than .5 acres, but properties in rural areas with more than .5 acres are very common.  Because the majority of the population lives in cities, and this would be a very popular bill, it would likely pass on a strictly “majority rule” basis.  State legislatures being able to draw up their own districts is a check on this power, as is the senate.
-You keep saying that congresspeople represent people and not pieces of land.  Part of meaningful representation is the ability to influence decisions.  Strict majority rule means that rural areas would have little or no influence on how the country is run.  Yes majority rule is USUALLY a good thing.  But there are lots of scenarios where majority rule is a bad thing, sometimes an awful thing (the Nazis, slavery and segregation were all supported by majority rule).  Having meaningful checks on majority rule helps curb the worst tendencies and helps promote compromise.  Yes there are unintended consequences (gerrymandering, partisan gridlock, etc), but I find these all preferable to the unintended consequences of removing that check on majority rule.

You seem to think that all of our major issues break across the urban/rural divide, so therefore we can fix the tyranny of the majority by preserving disproportionate representation of rural residents.  In reality, there are many divides in American politics; racial/ethnic, religious, professional, socio-economic, etc.  Whenever you attempt to protect a particular group by giving it disproportional representation, you are screwing somebody else.  In practice, this always devolves into partisan gerrymandering, because when you have one political party in charge of the process, they are always going to look out for their party's interests first.  The only fair way to deal with this is to ensure that everyone has an equal vote, and that voters are not grouped in a conscious attempt to give one group an advantage at the expense of others.  Some people will end up in the minority in their district, and they will feel like they don't have a voice.  But certainly that dispossession won't be any worse than under our current system, wherein most people live in districts that have been gerrymandered to be safe seats for one party.  On the contrary, more districts are likely to be competitive, which will make people feel like their vote actually counts.

-Regarding the EPA, Dept of Education, etc., I am very far from the mainstream.  I just don’t see the benefit of having these huge, often inept and corrupt, lawmaking bodies exist with no accountability.  We’ve known about the problems at the VA for decades.  DECADES.  And still nothing has changed.  If anything it’s gotten worse.  Has education improved drastically since the founding of the Dept of Education in 1979?  Have roads/bridges improved drastically since the introduction of the Dept of Transportation?  Yet in addition to pouring trillions and trillions of dollars into them, we’ve given them no consequences for their failure.  Arguably we’ve REWARDED their failure with even more money and job security.
Yep, agree to disagree.

-I disagree with your conception of “political ad/campaign” in two ways.  The first, is of course the slippery slope.  Let’s use the abortion example.  Planned Parenthood has tons of pro-choice ads and literature.  If congress introduces a pro-life bill, are Planned Parenthood’s ads suddenly part of a political campaign?  Or are they allowed since they don’t mention the specific bill.  If they’re allowed because they don’t mention the specific bill, what’s to stop a pro-life group from spending an unlimited amount on ads that say “ABORTION IS MURDER”?  Do you think that there is a meaningful difference between an ad that says “ABORTION IS MURDER” and “ABORTION IS MURDER SO VOTE FOR THE ANTI-ABORTION BILL”?  If you decide that “ABORTION IS MURDER” can be limited even though it doesn’t specifically mention a bill, then welcome to the top of slippery slope mountain.  The second is that I believe that speech, especially political speech, should be limited in only the very rarest of exceptions.  I will reiterate that the right to petition the government is in the constitution.  Except for outright bribery or other illegal means, it does not limit the method, message or number members.  I wholeheartedly believe this is a good thing.  I believe that labor unions should be able to petition for a $15 minimum wage, that Planned Parenthood should be able to promote abortions services, that pro-life groups should be able to promote pro-life messages, and that any other message, including which candidates and which bills to vote for should not be restricted.
-Related to the above, I believe the way you combat the negatives of money in politics is with transparency: campaigns and PACs should be required to publish complete lists of donors.  This way if the Koch Brothers or Tom Steyer or George Soros want to fully fund some sock puppet, then so be it.  Everyone will know how he’s getting his funding and can make their judgment accordingly.
It is possible that I may have painted with too broad a brush in my initial statement about eliminating all private spending on anything political.  In practice, we probably will need to work out a system of dollar limits and time windows prior to elections, similar to McCain-Feingold.  Heck, I'd consider it a win to just reinstate McCain-Feingold verbatim.  Yes, there will be tough decisions about what constitutes political advertising vs. free speech, and we may get some of those wrong.  But if we end up telling Planned Parenthood that they can't put a half-page ad in the paper extolling the virtues of safe and legal abortions within 60 days of an election, that's a price I'm willing to pay for getting unlimited amounts of Koch and Soros money out of our campaigns.

Regarding the right to petition the government: limits on campaign spending will in no way infringe on this right.  You (or whatever group you belong to) would still be free to communicate with your elected representatives at any time about anything.  Campaign ads don't petition the government, they petition your fellow citizens.

I completely agree with you that we need to have full transparency around campaign funding.  But by itself, I don't think it will have nearly the effect you think it will.  A TV ad comes on that says "candidate John Doe eats babies for breakfast," and at the end it says "paid for by People for Motherhood and Apple Pie."  Most voters aren't going to bother looking up who People for Motherhood and Apple Pie is and what they stand for.  If this group has a billion dollar fund behind them, they are going to out-advertise the candidate 100 to 1, and all the average swing voter is going to remember when he goes to the booth is that John Doe eats babies for breakfast.

-I’m sorry to paint you with such a partisan brush, but the timing of threads like these has my “Partisan Hackdar” on full alert, and perhaps I sometimes read more into it than what’s there.  Consider this though: were these things concerns for you when Obama was president and the Democrats held majorities in both chambers of Congress?  If so, what were you doing to raise awareness then?  If not, then why not?  I’m not trying to insult you, because you do seem sincere in your desire to make right perceived wrongs, I’m just trying to challenge you to examine your motivations.  Politics is a game, and it feels awful when your side loses, but changes to the game should be approached EXTREMELY cautiously.  The rules are there for reasons, often very good reasons, regardless of their sometimes negative side effects.
Rest assured, Trumpism will fade and fall out of favor, Republicans will lose power, and progressives and Democrats will be ascendant again at some point in the future, before the balance swings again.  I am neither a progressive nor a Democrat but I recognize that THIS IS A GOOD THING.  History does not show a good track record of one group remaining in power for too long.
Sure, it's easier to be motivated to speak out when you're on the losing side.  But many of these are things that have bothered me for a long time.  I remember learning about the electoral college in grade school or middle school, before I had formed any discernible political opinions, and thinking "that's really unfair."  Later on, I began my political life as a dyed-in-the-wool Reagan Republican, and I remember being completely disgusted by what Ted Kennedy did to Robert Bork. Not long after I started voting, I lived in a state whose legislature was controlled by Democrats at the time, and I was really pissed off that I got gerrymandered into a majority-black safe Democratic house district.

Yes, eventually the Democrats will be back in power again.  And they will start gerrymandering districts to their advantage.  And using signing statements to ignore parts of laws.  And appointing the most liberal judges and justices they can find in an attempt to reverse the balance of the courts.  The Republicans will pull out all the stops to block every appointment regardless of the person's merits, and the Democrats will use the nuclear option to ram them through.  NONE OF THIS IS A GOOD THING.  I might rest a little easier knowing that the outcome of all this bad faith bickering is likely to produce policy results that I agree with, but ultimately it will just keep polarizing our society even more, and will make the backlash just that much worse once the pendulum swings back the other way.  No thanks, I'd rather get off this merry-go-round.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: September 08, 2018, 08:18:28 AM »
How about we just go back to what the Constitution lays out...?

This guy gets it: 
https://youtu.be/EJK2JveCAbI

Please watch the video, its important for both sides of the isle to understand.

Everything Sasse said is extremely easy to say. Doing something is a completely different matter.

Yes, there are some interesting thoughts in that speech, but they are not very actionable as presented.  I can see the point of view that Congress at times has ceded too much of its authority to the executive branch.  To fix that, they would have to be more specific and detailed in the laws they write.  Sasse himself acknowledged that Congress doesn't have the technical expertise to do this.  So basically they would have to transfer all of the policy-writing staff that are currently in the Executive branch over to the Legislative branch.  Then the details that are currently contained in regulations would have to be written into every law before it is passed.  Not sure how well that would work out.

gentmach

• Bristles
« Reply #111 on: September 08, 2018, 09:18:01 AM »

Your point falls flat because it doesn't actually respond to anything being discussed. Research papers are not opinion papers. Few research papers ever make guesses about future events, or if they do, they are decidedly marked as such.

You can find some magazine that claims just about anything from anytime, but it doesn't matter because it has nothing to do with what the actual research is.

People don't forget. The opinions they spouted are just irrelevant. You can't keep looking at past opiniona. We're talking about today. What do we know today.

We all know that Al Gore made wild claims. No one forgot. It just doesn't matter. We have better research. We have better models. We have more knowledge. And that knowledge all points to a human contributed climate change. All doomsday scenarios are guesses. Nothing more.

Scott Adams put forth the theory the 97% figure has a few people with ulterior motives beyond science. Since no one is a mind reader, we won't know how many people.

You are correct that opinions of yesteryear are of no consequence. You can make outlandish claims, rile the public up and suffer no financial penalties when you are wrong.

We can agree that humans caused climate change. On an abstract level the works. Once we start digging into the causes (cars or cattle) or how to tackle the problem (which models are closest to reality, which tools to use) is when the problems start.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: September 08, 2018, 09:32:11 AM »

Scott Adams put forth the theory the 97% figure has a few people with ulterior motives beyond science. Since no one is a mind reader, we won't know how many people. Since it is a theory based on absolutely nothing but his own biases, it tells us absolutely nothing, and is no indicator at all of whether there is a single person in that number with ulterior motives beyond science.

FTFY.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: September 08, 2018, 09:56:54 AM »

Ignoring all the points that everyone else has made for one second, which issue was that?

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #114 on: September 08, 2018, 10:15:25 AM »

Scott Adams put forth the theory the 97% figure has a few people with ulterior motives beyond science. Since no one is a mind reader, we won't know how many people. Since it is a theory based on absolutely nothing but his own biases, it tells us absolutely nothing, and is no indicator at all of whether there is a single person in that number with ulterior motives beyond science.

FTFY.

Yep. About to point that out myself, but you did it better. Giving Scott Adam's conspiracy any legitimacy is wrong. He offers no proof of this conspiracy. There is no large group of scientists claiming that they have been systematically removed from scientific journals.

gentmach

• Bristles
« Reply #115 on: September 08, 2018, 11:04:28 AM »

FTFY.

Yep. About to point that out myself, but you did it better. Giving Scott Adam's conspiracy any legitimacy is wrong. He offers no proof of this conspiracy. There is no large group of scientists claiming that they have been systematically removed from scientific journals.

I concede the point it is likely his own biases. (I.e. the number seems too large for a complicated scientific issue.)

Ignoring all the points that everyone else has made for one second, which issue was that?

I don't know. A friend of mine used to collect them. He brought it up while we were talking as an example of the predictions that never panned out.

He is aware and concerned about climate change but skeptical of the doomsday predictions.

intellectsucks

• Bristles
« Reply #116 on: September 08, 2018, 12:07:42 PM »
Too many interesting debates here to stay away.  ARRRRGH!!!
@Monkey Uncle:
-I’ve used Urban/Rural for convenience here since the differences in populations and needs are very stark.  Giving states the ability to draw up legislative borders also gives them the ability to over/under represent poor neighborhoods vs rich, minority vs non-minority, etc etc.  This gives individual states the ability to choose which interests are getting the most say in federal decision making.  I think we’ll just have another agree to disagree point: I’m very much in favor of checks on federal power, even in the face of negative side effects like gerrymandering.  I also don’t believe in static analysis regarding these things.  Eventually the demographics in all of these gerrymandered districts will change, making their usefulness in cementing one political party’s rule null and void. 
-McCain-Feingold was overturned because of a documentary made about Hillary Clinton.  It was considered a political advertisement under McCain-Feingold and the organizations involved were fined for violating campaign finance laws.  Should Farenheit 9/11 have been considered a political advertisement?  How about Michael Moore’s upcoming Trump documentary?  How much have you researched Citizens United v FEC (the case that overturned McCain-Feingold)?  Have you read the transcripts where attorneys defending the law stated that they would impose the same fines on books written about political subjects?  The line that you think is so clear is very blurry.  Personally, I never want the government to tell me which movies I can watch or which books I can read or when.
-I don’t think transparency will have a huge effect on campaign results because I don’t think campaign advertising has a huge effect on campaign results.  Most people (including those who consider themselves “independents”) vote strictly party line.  The few who are actually concerned about the issues generally disregard campaign ads and research things on their own through other sources.  If campaign spending is the end-all be-all, then why didn’t Hillary run against Trump instead of Jeb Bush?
@the people debating Scott Adams’ position: How many of you have clicked through and read his positions and the reasoning behind them?  Just for the record, Scott Adams is absolutely not a climate change sceptic.  He was one of the early adopters and promoters of green building techniques; he wrote a funny article a long time ago about the challenges of trying to get traditional contractors to use green building techniques.  The first line of the article I linked to says that he thinks the consensus view on global warming is likely correct and the science behind it is likely sound.  If anything, he wants climate scientists to up their game when it comes to persuading people.
-Regarding the idea that climate scientists are not pressuring or trying to silence climate sceptics: once again here is a link of reputable scientists who are skeptical of the majority view on climate change: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scientists_who_disagree_with_the_scientific_consensus_on_global_warming Randomly click through to a few of those profiles and see what they say about the environment regarding climate science.  Sceptics are referred to as “heretics”, they’re “ostracized”, etc.  And this list is only scientists prominent enough to have a Wikipedia page.  These people are considered stars in the scientific community and are experiencing this.  Imagine what lesser known and respected scientists are going through.  To me this seems like pretty compelling evidence that scientists who are skeptical of climate change are facing an uphill battle and makes the idea that they are often “blacklisted” feasible.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #117 on: September 08, 2018, 12:24:20 PM »

FTFY.

I concede the point it is likely his own biases. (I.e. the number seems too large for a complicated scientific issue.)

It also fails to pass a basic smell test.  You don't make a name for yourself in science by going along with the general consensus.  You make a huge splash, a lot of money, and receive a ton of awards by doing something different that sets you apart.  The fact that there are large multinational corporations currently paying millions of dollars each year to people to lie about climate change should give you an idea of the amount of money available to anyone capable of coming up with real science to prove the position they want.

Claiming that science journals would suppress the truth shows a basic misunderstanding of what science is, and how it works.  A journal would also be the recipient of accolades and more money by publishing vitally important and new work in it's field.

gentmach

• Bristles
« Reply #118 on: September 08, 2018, 06:53:04 PM »

FTFY.

It also fails to pass a basic smell test.  You don't make a name for yourself in science by going along with the general consensus.  You make a huge splash, a lot of money, and receive a ton of awards by doing something different that sets you apart.  The fact that there are large multinational corporations currently paying millions of dollars each year to people to lie about climate change should give you an idea of the amount of money available to anyone capable of coming up with real science to prove the position they want.

Claiming that science journals would suppress the truth shows a basic misunderstanding of what science is, and how it works.  A journal would also be the recipient of accolades and more money by publishing vitally important and new work in it's field.

In an ideal world, yes, that is how scienece works. Climate change is an industry in itself now. And you hear about people like Ignaz Sammelweis ("Although hugely successful; Semmelweis' discovery directly confronted with the beliefs of science and medicine in his time. His colleagues and other medical professionals refused to accept his findings mainly because they did not find it convincing that they could be responsible for spreading infections. The reaction reflected on his job as well when he was declined a reappointment in 1849." https://explorable.com/semmelweis-germ-theory) and you realize that scientists are humans that will ignore evidence if so willing.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #119 on: September 08, 2018, 08:31:08 PM »
You guys know you can quote just a portion of a post, right?

Also, who the fuck cares if climate science might, maybe, sure there's a small chance, be overstating the problem? Are you concerned we may end up with air and waterways that are too clean?

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: September 09, 2018, 05:02:35 AM »
Folks, can we get back on topic please?

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: September 09, 2018, 05:49:21 AM »
Too many interesting debates here to stay away.  ARRRRGH!!!
@Monkey Uncle:
-I’ve used Urban/Rural for convenience here since the differences in populations and needs are very stark.  Giving states the ability to draw up legislative borders also gives them the ability to over/under represent poor neighborhoods vs rich, minority vs non-minority, etc etc.  This gives individual states the ability to choose which interests are getting the most say in federal decision making.  I think we’ll just have another agree to disagree point: I’m very much in favor of checks on federal power, even in the face of negative side effects like gerrymandering.  I also don’t believe in static analysis regarding these things.  Eventually the demographics in all of these gerrymandered districts will change, making their usefulness in cementing one political party’s rule null and void.
Think about what you said there (in bold).  You really think that state legislatures should be picking and choosing which interests get an advantage in electing our government?  If so, then most definitely we will have to agree to disagree on this topic.  Also, regarding the comment that eventually demographics will change, thereby negating the effect of the gerrymander: don't forget that redistricting occurs after every census.  So the party in power at that time will just construct a new gerrymander to give themselves an advantage.

-McCain-Feingold was overturned because of a documentary made about Hillary Clinton.  It was considered a political advertisement under McCain-Feingold and the organizations involved were fined for violating campaign finance laws.  Should Farenheit 9/11 have been considered a political advertisement?  How about Michael Moore’s upcoming Trump documentary?  How much have you researched Citizens United v FEC (the case that overturned McCain-Feingold)?  Have you read the transcripts where attorneys defending the law stated that they would impose the same fines on books written about political subjects?  The line that you think is so clear is very blurry.  Personally, I never want the government to tell me which movies I can watch or which books I can read or when.
-I don’t think transparency will have a huge effect on campaign results because I don’t think campaign advertising has a huge effect on campaign results.  Most people (including those who consider themselves “independents”) vote strictly party line.  The few who are actually concerned about the issues generally disregard campaign ads and research things on their own through other sources.  If campaign spending is the end-all be-all, then why didn’t Hillary run against Trump instead of Jeb Bush?

I didn't claim the line was clear; in fact I acknowledged that it is blurry and that we would need to make some tough decisions, and we probably would get some of them wrong.  To me, that is an acceptable price to pay for buying our politicians back.  Regardless of what you think about whether campaign advertising has a huge effect, the people who are funding the ads and benefiting from them think that they have enough of an effect that they keep saturating the airwaves with them.  And that creates a situation in which the politicians are beholden to the big funders.  The funders aren't spending money out of the goodness of their hearts.  They expect a return on their investment. 

Specific to the examples you cited, perhaps restricting books and movies may be taking things too far (unless, of course, they blatantly say "vote for/against so-and-so").  My sense is that ads on TV, radio, internet, newspapers, etc. should be the prime target, because those are the instruments that are most likely to be seen as creating a quid pro quo situation between the funder and the candidate.  Indeed, such ads seem to be the main focus of campaign finance restrictions in other countries that seem to have campaigns that are, shall we say, less lively than ours.

Here's an interesting perspective comparing US campaign finance to other countries:

http://prospect.org/article/how-our-campaign-finance-system-compares-other-countries

Now clearly this is a very liberal-oriented source.  But the article is mostly just presenting information, which you can take at face value or not.  Here's the conclusion:

As you look over the different regulations various countries have come up with, it does seem that the thing that makes all the difference in how campaigns are conducted is the spending limits, which are often combined with time limits on electioneering. Everyone has to weigh two competing considerations. The first is the desire for elections that retain a reasonable amount of integrity, and are conducted in a manner that is, for lack of a better term, civilized. And the second is the principle of free speech, that a candidate for office should be able to say what he wants, as often as he wants, and spend as much as he wants doing it, even at the risk of corruption. In most other countries, they've decided that the first consideration is more important. In the U.S., we've decided that the second consideration is the only one that matters.

Ignore, for a moment, the partisan tone of the last sentence, and focus on the first sentence regarding spending limits and time limits on electioneering.  Perhaps we've been doing it wrong in the US by trying to clamp down only on contribution amounts.  The limits on spending and timing seem to have the desired effect in the countries where they are applied.

gentmach

• Bristles
« Reply #122 on: September 18, 2018, 08:45:43 AM »
That's... The point. The federal government was never meant to be as powerful as it is so people would focus on the states. ("Laboratories of law" or something like that.)

I'm not going to address the details of the 10,000-person House, because I think that idea is a non-starter for the logistical reasons that have already been pointed out.  But regarding the quote above, I'll just say that may or may not be what the founders intended (the language in the constitution is pretty ambiguous, which has allowed the federal government to develop the way it has), and even if it is what the founders intended, it isn't necessarily a good thing.  The founders were not infallible, which is why they provided a mechanism to amend the constitution.  They also were not completely of one mind, which is probably why certain parts of the constitution are worded as vaguely as they are.

I think America has benefited more than it has been harmed by the synergy and consistency that a strong central government provides.  At any rate, there is no way in hell that Americans are going to dismantle the federal government at this point in history, so there probably isn't much point in wasting a lot of breath on the argument.

Wait. Wait. Wait. We have half the infrastructure already. C-Span broadcasts congressional debates already. A system of remote voting would be easy to establish on a personal level.

1. Give each new representative a Tails Live Stick or DVD (https://tails.boum.org This is to prevent malware being installed.)
2. Log in credentials using best practices.
3. Establish VPN.
4. Use Tor.
5 Log into Congressional Voting system. (Overhauling this would be the biggest obstacle.)

We may have been going about this the wrong way. Everyone needs to ask themselves how much a man's opinion  (vote) is worth?

Right now the standard is 1/30,000. If you want more democracy, that number should go lower. If you want a more elite government, that number should go higher.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #123 on: September 20, 2018, 08:52:56 AM »
Right now the standard is 1/30,000. If you want more democracy, that number should go lower. If you want a more elite government, that number should go higher.
The standard when the constitution was written was 30,000 people per representative. As of the 2010 Census the average people per congressional district is over 700,000. Minimum is 527,624 (Rhode Island); maximum is 994,416 (Montana).

gentmach

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2018, 11:29:10 AM »
The standard when the constitution was written was 30,000 people per representative. As of the 2010 Census the average people per congressional district is over 700,000. Minimum is 527,624 (Rhode Island); maximum is 994,416 (Montana).

I figure the problem with "fixing the system" is where to start. All of the problems listed are valid critiques. We need to decide on which one is top priority.

But we need to give some thought on the basics of our system.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2018, 12:03:27 PM »
But the way democracy works is that individual interests compete to capture public opinion. Rather than strategically picking an issue, an issue is identified by there being sufficient outrage to mobilize power-brokers. Ex. the Tax Cut and Jobs Act.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: September 24, 2018, 05:30:38 AM »

I figure the problem with "fixing the system" is where to start. All of the problems listed are valid critiques. We need to decide on which one is top priority.

I don't know that I could narrow it down to just one priority, but my top three definitely stand out from the others: get big money out of politics, eliminate the electoral college, and eliminate gerrymandering.

gentmach

• Bristles
« Reply #127 on: September 24, 2018, 08:39:40 AM »
But the way democracy works is that individual interests compete to capture public opinion. Rather than strategically picking an issue, an issue is identified by there being sufficient outrage to mobilize power-brokers. Ex. the Tax Cut and Jobs Act.

I was not addressing the general public. Monkey Uncle seems to be asking a group of us to come together and form a committee of sorts that would think about the best application of resources. At least that is the way I am approaching it.

And to get anything done will require broad pressure on all memebers of Congress from across the nation.

The overarching strategic goal should be vote parity. So how do we get that? Spit out ideas people. Brainstorming.

I don't know that I could narrow it down to just one priority, but my top three definitely stand out from the others: get big money out of politics, eliminate the electoral college, and eliminate gerrymandering.

There we go. Thank you. Everybody else list their priorities. Let's make it easy. Start with top 5.

Also how much each vote is worth.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 11:04:41 AM by gentmach »