Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 781465 times)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #1400 on: January 20, 2020, 07:25:03 PM »
I spent all day playing Star Wars lego :)

Spent a couple hours last night, and then about another hour this morning finishing up Star Wars The Complete Saga. Then moved into playing Star Wars the Clone Wars. Lazy, lazy day, with the kitty on my lap for a good portion of it. I'm now showing as 34% complete on the Clone Wars game, and have finished 2/3 of the story. I'm having fun.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1401 on: January 20, 2020, 07:58:30 PM »
I started replaying Inside to collect all the orbs. Now I知 wracking my brain trying to figure out what melodies I can make with three tones.

I have a feeling I知 gonna have to play through the game again...

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1402 on: January 22, 2020, 02:40:22 PM »
I received an email the other day telling me my PS4 game playing stats for 2019. I played 1429 hours total, or ~3.9 hours a day on average. From my financial records, I spent $145 on games and PS Plus membership, which means it cost just over 10 cents an hour to play - excellent value IMO. I played 48 different games, some of which were games I bought last year but most were the good "freebies" through PS Plus membership and through swapping games with my brother, nephew, and nephew's friend.

Minion

• Stubble
« Reply #1403 on: January 22, 2020, 11:23:56 PM »
I received an email the other day telling me my PS4 game playing stats for 2019. I played 1429 hours total, or ~3.9 hours a day on average. From my financial records, I spent $145 on games and PS Plus membership, which means it cost just over 10 cents an hour to play - excellent value IMO. I played 48 different games, some of which were games I bought last year but most were the good "freebies" through PS Plus membership and through swapping games with my brother, nephew, and nephew's friend.

So much envy. What was your top pick of last year's PS4 releases?

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1404 on: January 23, 2020, 12:16:05 AM »

So much envy. What was your top pick of last year's PS4 releases?

So many good ones. I spent the most time playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey, which I obviously enjoyed, but also really enjoyed Shadow of Mordor/War, Titanfall 2, Nioh, Batman Arkham series, God of War, Far Cry 5/New Dawn, Detroit Become Human, RDR2, The Last of Us, The Surge, Uncharted 1/2/3/4, Nier Automata, Astro Bot Rescue and RE7 VR.

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1405 on: January 23, 2020, 01:27:12 AM »
Attn: Switch Owners

Is the Switch worth it for the price? As a softcore Mustachian I just can NOT get over the price of entry on the console, let alone the requirement to buy external storage and the fact that the games NEVER drop in price (nor does the console). I check on Craigslist from time to time and Switches are regularly listed used at about 95% full retail. As a huge fan of video games I hate being locked out of Mario's universe.

I only wish Nintendo would have come out with a Switch that is nothing but a little box with a game cartridge slot, HDMI out, and a power cord. They could charge $150 for it, then absolutely clean up on game sales. Right?

Edit to add: I mean that's what the original NES was (sans the HDMI, which didn't exist) and it was maybe the most successful system of all time. More of that please.
They did come out with the Switch Lite version recently for about $200-- maybe less if you hit a good deal or wait for a sale.  The Black Friday Deal I got was a Switch + $25 Amazon gift card.

Can't say that it was necessarily a Mustachian purchase but I'm fully expecting to get at least 150-200 hours of gameplay off Fire Emblem 3 Houses, and then I'm planning on borrowing a friend's copy of Breath of the Wild for another 100+ hours of entertainment.  Maybe by the time I'm done, Pokemon will have dropped in price... LOL, I can dream!  Witcher 3... Skyrim... more games with hundreds of hours of potential gameplay. That said, I REALLY like the functionality and the design of the Switch, and the ability to go portable or enjoy the big screen experience is great.  If handheld gaming adds to your life (for example, you have a lot of downtime, fly a bunch or spend a lot of time on public transport) and you are already eyeing some Switch titles that give you a lot of content to chew through, it might be worth it for you.  Otherwise.... enh......

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1406 on: March 04, 2020, 11:14:06 AM »
Steam has Yakuza 0, 1, & 2 heavily discounted at the moment. Even cheaper if you're a sucker and buy all three in a bundle. I picked up 0 and 1 for $15. If I play them all the way through, that is great value.

But, man, I am in dire need of a facepunch. My video game back log is getting really embarrassing.

I STILL cannot bring myself to buy a Switch. I can't justify the price when I only want to play 3 or 4 games on it. Shame on Nintendo for refusing to drop the price! I would buy it this instant at $200. Um, is this MMM.com or gameholics anonymous?

This thread has been dead awhile. So what is everyone playing?

Oh, and... MORE shame on Nintendo for not putting a video OUT on the Switch Lite. That would have put me into the purchase camp too. Unforgivable! 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 11:16:36 AM by eljefe-speaks »

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1407 on: March 04, 2020, 11:56:03 AM »
I just finished playing Trails of Cold Steel III. Excellent game and a big improvement over Cold Steel I/II. Though Zero/Ao are still my favorites in the series so I'm really hoping the new PS4 remasters get localized (they've never been officially released in English before).

I've switched back to playing イース セルセタの樹海:改 (Ys: Memories of Celceta PS4 remaster) which we purchased when we visited Japan list year. Well it turns out that one is getting localized now so I'm hoping to beat it before it gets released in English at the end of the month.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1408 on: March 04, 2020, 12:04:50 PM »
I just finished playing Trails of Cold Steel III.

I have been very tempted to delve into the series. Are they more story focused? Or can you spend hours upon hours leveling up and getting badass gear ala FFVII?

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1409 on: March 04, 2020, 12:16:21 PM »
Still playing Elder Scrolls Online, still mostly solo.  Also playing Ticket to Ride here and there after Epic gave it away a few weeks ago. 

I suppose I should admit that I'm also playing a phone game - Gems of War.  Game is also on consoles, I suppose.  Still, I've been successful at avoiding spending any money on games this year. 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1410 on: March 04, 2020, 12:46:16 PM »
I just finished playing Trails of Cold Steel III.

I have been very tempted to delve into the series. Are they more story focused? Or can you spend hours upon hours leveling up and getting badass gear ala FFVII?

The world building, story, and character interactions are the highlights of the game. You can spend a lot of time grinding and getting the best quartz though it is not necessary to beat the games (except maybe if you set it to the hardest difficulty on your first playthrough). The combat is best approached tactically rather than via brute force. The best equipment is typically either purchased, awarded from quests, or acquired through trading hidden collectibles throughout the game. So you don't really need to grind for that either, just be very thorough in searching (or follow a guide).

I've spent over 500 hours between all the games in this series now and would highly recommend it. The story is continuous starting with the release of Trails in the Sky and each main series just changes which characters are the focus (I believe only one character has appeared in every game). They are best played sequentially as there are a lot of references to people and events that happened earlier and a lot of characters make repeat appearances.

So here are the games and the correct order:
Trails in the Sky (also on PSP)
Trails in the Sky SC (also on PSP)
Trails in the Sky the 3rd
Zero no Kiseki (Trails of Zero) - there's an fan-translated English patch so you can play this on a PSP emulator
Ao no Kiskei (Trails of Azure) - same as above
Trails of Cold Steel (Steam / PS4)
Trails of Cold Steel II (Steam / PS4)
Trails of Cold Steel III (Steam / PS4)
Trails of Cold Steel IV (not yet localized)
Hajimari no Kiseki (not yet released)

I know it's a daunting list. I was pretty hesitant to start at the beginning but once I started playing I was completely sucked in.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1411 on: March 04, 2020, 12:49:12 PM »
^ Appreciate the list. I can be hard to know where to get started.

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1412 on: March 04, 2020, 02:12:43 PM »
I wish I had known earlier that PS+ came with free games every month! I took roughly a decade off from gaming, and so I've played very few modern games (and have never owned a Sony console before). I'm looking forward to checking out Shadow of the Colossus later this week, though I remember playing the original at a friend's house and hating the controls. Hopefully that's been addressed for the remake.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1413 on: March 05, 2020, 11:35:07 AM »
Witcher 3 for Switch. Bought it used for $50.
I have put about 10 hours in.
SO has put about 40 hours in.

$1/hr and counting. I値l play more once he gets bored of it, but I sit and watch him play pretty frequently. He was never a gamer so I知 enjoying this shared hobby - it saves us a lot of $$ over going out, too!

On the 20th, my brother preordered AC:NH for me. I will put hundreds of hours into that game. I知 so excited!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1414 on: March 05, 2020, 03:23:27 PM »
Ooh! The hotly awaited Assassin's Creed: New Hampshire?

BC_Goldman

• Bristles
« Reply #1415 on: March 06, 2020, 02:48:50 PM »
Epic Games is still giving free games. Up to weekly now and frequently more than one per week. If I ever get the time to play, I have enough games now to keep me busy for months or even years.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1416 on: March 08, 2020, 12:14:49 PM »
Ooh! The hotly awaited Assassin's Creed: New Hampshire?
Haha :-)
Animal Crossing : New Horizons!

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1417 on: March 25, 2020, 09:43:58 AM »
The escapism and gorgeous vistas of RDR2 are helping me immensely during this crisis. I am tempted to jump back into my Stardew Valley campaign, the most relaxing gamer ever.

FYI: Steam has Mad Max on sale for $4 right now. No brainer at that price.

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1418 on: March 25, 2020, 10:39:03 AM »
About to jump into World War Z with my friends.  Seems appropriate.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #1419 on: March 25, 2020, 06:34:53 PM »
I've dusted off the PS4 and been playing Detroit: Becoming Human

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1420 on: March 26, 2020, 06:32:21 AM »
I came across Civilization (1!) For windows a few days ago. It occupied a great deal of my childhood. I was reminded last night how hard it is to put it down.  Trying to establish a Maginot line across one continent strong enough that I can switch to Democracy and grow my way to victory, but all the remaining four other civilizations are at war with me and never offer peace. I'll just have to tech up so I can build the UN.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1421 on: March 26, 2020, 06:40:18 AM »
Anyone into old-style JRPGs, Octopath Traveler is half price most places I think - eg, Steam for PC, and whatever the Switch store is.

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1422 on: March 26, 2020, 07:04:49 AM »
On the Switch:
Conduct TOGETHER!  -It's only $0.01 (or 1 gold coin), and is a great little puzzle game; I've played many of the levels by myself, but you can have up to 4 people playing, so it's been great to give my 3 kids a break from their new daily homebound routine, and play a level or two together and try to coordinate delivering all of the passengers.

On the PS4:
Farcry 4  - Not as enjoyable as the two Far Cry 5s, which I started with first a few months ago, but passable. I've heard that 3 is considered the best of the series, but I don't think I'll bother as I already find 4 dated in several ways compared to 5, and while maybe the story is better, the mechanics of 3 will clearly be an even further step back; convince me I'm mistaken!

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1423 on: March 26, 2020, 11:48:03 AM »
Fallout 4. Well, I was playing Fallout 4. The combat, traversal, crafting, and UI are all utterly broken. It's a shame because the game has some very cool aspects to it. I want my $12 back. 

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1424 on: March 26, 2020, 01:38:18 PM »
Farcry 4  - Not as enjoyable as the two Far Cry 5s, which I started with first a few months ago, but passable.

I struggled with the in-your-face religious theme of the two FC5 games, so while I enjoyed the game play I grit my teeth to get through the story and some of the music. I found FC4 more enjoyable overall.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1425 on: March 27, 2020, 10:13:15 AM »
I quit the last 3 Ubisoft open world games I played because of boredom. It becomes very, very routine. The icons on the map become chores. So I think I will stay away from FC5, even though it does tempt me.

I am about half through RDR2 and the story has completely sucked me in. It is getting better as it goes. Anyone know if there is a setting to auto-eat? Feeding my character and more horse if getting old. Hard enough to do that IRL.

On deck is Borderlands 3 which I picked up for 20 bucks on amazon. Oh, and Cities Skylines was on Steam for 6 dollars. So, I have hours and hours of entertainment on tap!

Still watching the clock for Elden Ring! Of course by the time it comes out it will be time to go back outside, hopefully.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1426 on: March 27, 2020, 10:17:03 AM »
Cities:Skylines may consume your life. It is SUCH a good game, especially for the analytical/optimizing mindset which is so common around these parts...

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #1427 on: March 31, 2020, 11:21:17 AM »
Fallout 4. Well, I was playing Fallout 4. The combat, traversal, crafting, and UI are all utterly broken. It's a shame because the game has some very cool aspects to it. I want my $12 back.

I can see that the base building and inventory system irritated me. I liked 3 and New Vegas.

Have you tried 76?

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #1428 on: March 31, 2020, 11:23:25 AM »
I've been gaming more recently, Shadowrun Returns on Steam, Shovel Knight Treasure Trove on Steam, Divinity Original Sin 2 on PS4 with buddies, Borderlands 3 on PS4 with friends

I also need to get back to Control and Metro Exodus. I've also been playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 on the Switch
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 11:06:41 AM by FrugalKube »

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1429 on: March 31, 2020, 12:19:12 PM »

I can see that the base building and inventory system irritated me. I liked 3 and New Vegas.

Have you tried 76?

This is my first Fallout, though I've played Skyrim. I've come around on the game somewhat. I think maybe what is most broken is the tutorial (is there even one?).

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1430 on: March 31, 2020, 12:26:01 PM »

Have you tried 76?

This is my first Fallout, though I've played Skyrim. I've come around on the game somewhat. I think maybe what is most broken is the tutorial (is there even one?).

I am surprised to hear the criticism of FO4. I though the combat was a huge improvement over the previous games in the series. Also, I really like the VATS system. Bethesda is known to have issues in their games. I guess it's a small studio? But they supposedly get by on charm and atmosphere and open world choices. I really liked FO4.  Spoiler:
Spoiler: show
One of my all time favorite things in any game - when you realize the refugee camp you have been living in is actually Fenway Park!

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1431 on: March 31, 2020, 02:40:26 PM »

Have you tried 76?

I am surprised to hear the criticism of FO4. I though the combat was a huge improvement over the previous games in the series. Also, I really like the VATS system. Bethesda is known to have issues in their games. I guess it's a small studio? But they supposedly get by on charm and atmosphere and open world choices. I really liked FO4.  Spoiler:
One of my all time favorite things in any game - when you realize the refugee camp you have been living in is actually Fenway Park!

I tend to care much more about mechanics than story or graphics or anything like that. I found the combat--including VATS--to be super frustrating early on (even though I'm playing on Very Easy), but it is getting a little better as I level up. I find that I'm often very disoriented in a firefight but that enemies are super-soldiers (perfect accuracy, perfect awareness, impossible to sneak up on). I get that there are algorithms underlying all of the different mechanics and that I have to upgrade my skills to affect them, but I don't find that very satisfying relative to systems that rely more heavily on the player's mechanical skills. I've also been annoyed that they put all this geometry in the environments (including companions) but don't give my character a good way to navigate it/them (I lose momentum pretty often walking around by running into shit or into companions). Like Skyrim, there is way too much to do and not enough variety, but the world and characters are much more interesting to me. In my opinion it's a good game but not a great game. Maybe a 7/10? If I had known it was basically Skyrim I would not have bought it. I don't think I'm Bethesda's audience.

My friend convinced me to download CoD: War Zone and while CoD is a franchise that usually doesn't do anything for me, this game is really excellent. I love how solos feels like survival horror at times.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 02:49:03 PM by salt cured »

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #1432 on: April 07, 2020, 04:51:39 AM »
I`ve been a ton of Battlefield V lately(Thanks to my $30 a year EA Access). The game gets a bad wrap, IMO. It is the first of the series that I don`t absolutely stink at sniping.

I`m really going crazy waiting on Final Fantasy 7 Remake. I preordered digitally after playing the demo, and feel so jealous of those Australians since last week. The game already predownloaded on my PS4 a few days ago, and the wait is terrible.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1433 on: April 07, 2020, 07:19:14 AM »

I`m really going crazy waiting on Final Fantasy 7 Remake. I preordered digitally after playing the demo, and feel so jealous of those Australians since last week. The game already predownloaded on my PS4 a few days ago, and the wait is terrible.

I am pretty excited for it too, but I think I will wait until it is closer to ~$30. I even started a new run with the original so I would remember the story. Give us a review after you spend some time with it, if you don't mind.

I am nearing the end of RDR2. Fantastic game, story, graphics... just a bit too damn long.

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1434 on: April 07, 2020, 08:52:39 AM »
Uncharted 4 is free on PS+ starting sometime today. I've been playing through the earlier games and they are fun in small doses. The shooting bits get old really quickly, but the traversal is fun and the narratives aren't actually that bad.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1435 on: April 07, 2020, 09:02:08 AM »
If you're a reader, Uncharted 4 is one of the games featured in Blood, Sweat, and Pixels. It's really interesting to learn about how games are made and the cultural differences between different studios.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1436 on: April 07, 2020, 10:32:46 AM »
Last week the first expension of X4 came out, Split Vengeance. (Who doesn't know, X4 is a 1st person 4X game in space) I had 300 hours in 2 game starts in it. Now with the Split again...

Even worse, in a way, is Mount and Blade II Bannerlord. A game that was expected to alunch in 2016 back in 2015. Now its finally Early Access.

I am such a sucker for sandbox games...

And to make it worse, I started Skyrim again (last was 2016) just a week earlier, but with a load of mods this time. I have never been through half of the main story. As a perfectionist playing a game, that bombards you with quests whenever you turn around a corner...

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #1437 on: April 08, 2020, 01:24:17 AM »

I am pretty excited for it too, but I think I will wait until it is closer to ~$30. I even started a new run with the original so I would remember the story. Give us a review after you spend some time with it, if you don't mind.

I am nearing the end of RDR2. Fantastic game, story, graphics... just a bit too damn long.

I feel so terrible about how I feel about RDR2. It was so well made, but something bored me to death about it. The story was great, but I hated the main story missions. They were so repetitive. The saving grace for me was the side-missions and the online stuff. There was just something missing in the main game that I couldn`t put my finger on exactly that was present with the first game. The characters were great but my favorite was Dutch. I really wish that they could add the first game as a DLC. Most of the map is already in the game. I may be about to reinstall it so I can check it out again.

I probably won`t be able to give a fair review on FF7 for a while because I am such a fanboy. After the hype dies down I`ll be able to be more honest about it I think. I will try to be a completionist about the game though and try to tackle every side mission and level grind a ton. Oh, and you waiting for a price drop is probably a wise decision because of the wait for the next part is probably two years away. What a drag!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 01:27:16 AM by jojoguy »

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1438 on: April 08, 2020, 10:52:16 AM »
Last week the first expension of X4 came out, Split Vengeance. (Who doesn't know, X4 is a 1st person 4X game in space) I had 300 hours in 2 game starts in it. Now with the Split again...

Even worse, in a way, is Mount and Blade II Bannerlord. A game that was expected to alunch in 2016 back in 2015. Now its finally Early Access.

I am such a sucker for sandbox games...

And to make it worse, I started Skyrim again (last was 2016) just a week earlier, but with a load of mods this time. I have never been through half of the main story. As a perfectionist playing a game, that bombards you with quests whenever you turn around a corner...

Damn you! Your comment made me start a new round of Skyrim. There goes another 50-100 hours of my life.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1439 on: April 08, 2020, 02:20:08 PM »

I feel so terrible about how I feel about RDR2. It was so well made, but something bored me to death about it. The story was great, but I hated the main story missions. They were so repetitive. The saving grace for me was the side-missions and the online stuff. There was just something missing in the main game that I couldn`t put my finger on exactly that was present with the first game. The characters were great but my favorite was Dutch. I really wish that they could add the first game as a DLC. Most of the map is already in the game. I may be about to reinstall it so I can check it out again.

I probably won`t be able to give a fair review on FF7 for a while because I am such a fanboy. After the hype dies down I`ll be able to be more honest about it I think. I will try to be a completionist about the game though and try to tackle every side mission and level grind a ton. Oh, and you waiting for a price drop is probably a wise decision because of the wait for the next part is probably two years away. What a drag!

Man, I am right there with you on RDR2. I mean I really liked MOST of the missions, but, still, a creeping boredom starting coming over me. I am in the very last section with
John Marston
now and just waiting for the end. Time to get back on COD MW since the new season dropped TODAY, hooray! Once I am leveled out on the season it will be time for Cuphead. I am thinking a platformer will be a nice change. Oh, and I am itching to run another NG+ of DS3, lol. Best effing game EVER.

The idea of RDR1 as a DLC is brilliant! As long as it is $10 or under that is. I have never played it. Was tempted to get on PS Now so I could play it, but not many other games tempting me enough to pay the price.

*edited to cover up a possible spoiler*
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 02:22:06 PM by eljefe-speaks »

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1440 on: April 08, 2020, 03:05:33 PM »
Uncharted 4 is free on PS+ starting sometime today. I've been playing through the earlier games and they are fun in small doses.

I changed my mind lol. These games suck.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1441 on: April 08, 2020, 03:08:49 PM »
Uncharted 4 is free on PS+ starting sometime today. I've been playing through the earlier games and they are fun in small doses.

LOL! Can't help but wonder what changed your mind? Accidentally take a large dose?

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1442 on: April 08, 2020, 03:18:54 PM »

LOL! Can't help but wonder what changed your mind? Accidentally take a large dose?

Maybe! I was really enjoying Uncharted 3 up until about halfway through. The games just aren稚 for me. They seem to drag on and on. I知 finding the story and combat tedious and frustrating (are those the same thing?). Beautiful games, great animation and voice acting, but they should be 4 hours long, tops.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #1443 on: April 09, 2020, 02:26:48 AM »
Got my kids playing Typing of the Dead, so hectic, so much fun.

Feivel2000

• Bristles
« Reply #1444 on: April 09, 2020, 03:08:12 AM »
X-Com 2: War of the Chosen

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1445 on: April 09, 2020, 03:40:40 AM »

Mod: New Enemy: Corona Egg Layer. Changed you into a Corona zombie.

Feivel2000

• Bristles
« Reply #1446 on: April 09, 2020, 03:46:25 AM »

Is a corona infected soldier trying to get inside and trying to avoid contact with others? So no sword attacks for rangers?

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1447 on: April 09, 2020, 03:54:56 AM »

Is a corona infected soldier trying to get inside and trying to avoid contact with others? So no sword attacks for rangers?
Quite the opposite. He will try to hug and lick the former teammates.

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1448 on: April 09, 2020, 08:30:35 AM »

Maybe! I was really enjoying Uncharted 3 up until about halfway through. The games just aren稚 for me. They seem to drag on and on. I知 finding the story and combat tedious and frustrating (are those the same thing?). Beautiful games, great animation and voice acting, but they should be 4 hours long, tops.

OK so I know I must sound like the biggest hypocrite, but I played the first 4 or 5 chapters of Uncharted 4 late last night and I absolutely adore it so far.

Relative to the other games in the series, all the pieces of this one seem to fit together in a much more harmonious way. It's strange, but I really really love how the UI (e.g., prompts and hints) has been redesigned to be subtle and subdued, which really matches the pace and tone of the narrative. I love that I've only had to use guns maybe twice in 3 or 4 hours. And when I do, enemies actually react when they get shot and 2 or 3 bullets actually kill them (I am playing on the easiest mode with all the assists turned on--sue me). I was frequently frustrated by the way enemies soaked up bullets in the other games without ever breaking stride.

I love that (so far) the gameplay sheds many of the Uncharted cliches (break into a hidden temple, solve an elaborate non-sensical puzzle that no one could have ever created, find a thing, realize the bad guys had been following me the whole time, hand over the thing at gun point (despite having been shot 100 times already), rinse and repeat ad nauseam). This game actually seems to playfully poke fun at some of the cliches. For example, I got really tired of the thing where, when climbing, a piece of the geometry would break and Drake would almost fall but always recover. I guess it was neat at first, but it became super annoying because there was no actual consequence besides making my climb take longer. But last night, a piece of the wall I was climbing broke and I did fall (it was part of the narrative as a cutscene was triggered). I was like...fucking finally!

And I like that I haven't visited any temples or mystical ruins yet. Save that shit for the finale so that 1) it actually has weight and 2) doesn't detract from and clash with the otherwise very grounded world that's been built. And I've been so impressed by the visuals and environments and characters. My only complaints so far are that the brawling is a little too video game-y (I shouldn't have to wail on a dude a half dozen times for him to go down and shouldn't be clearing a room of 10+ dudes) and I guess that the scuba diving was kinda unrealistic. I'm worried things are going to change on a dime and the game is going to revert to "video games must have non-stop action and shooting and elaborate puzzles" but so far I am loving how restrained and carefully crafted this game is.

I actually looked up the directors of all the games and it seems like some of the key people on Uncharted 1 - 3 were not on 4, which probably helps to explain the changes. The main guy on 4 seems to have left the company unfortunately, but I'm excited to try his other recent game The Last of Us, which I've had download for like 2 years but never booted up.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1449 on: April 09, 2020, 08:56:46 AM »
OK so I know I must sound like the biggest hypocrite, but I played the first 4 or 5 chapters of Uncharted 4 late last night and I absolutely adore it so far.
Uncharted 4 came bundled with my PS4 so I played it and really enjoyed it. I have the Drake Collection but your experience isn't making me super excited to play the previous games...

I love that I've only had to use guns maybe twice in 3 or 4 hours.
My least favorite part of Uncharted 4 was how many people I had to kill. The game gives you a kill tally at the end and I think mine was around 350. Made me rather uncomfortable considering that these aren't really bad guys. They're mostly just mercenaries hired for treasure hunting and you want the treasure more so you murder them.

I love that (so far) the gameplay sheds many of the Uncharted cliches (break into a hidden temple, solve an elaborate non-sensical puzzle that no one could have ever created, find a thing, realize the bad guys had been following me the whole time, hand over the thing at gun point (despite having been shot 100 times already), rinse and repeat ad nauseam).
I'm pretty sure this happens a few times in Uncharted 4... Maybe not as bad as previous games though.

The final battle was kind of weird suddenly switching to mechanics that hadn't shown up anywhere else in the game.

These were all still minor detractions though. The game is gorgeous and the way the cutscenes blend into the gameplay is really incredible. The story is overall pretty good and I liked the way they built the relationships between the main characters. The movement and gameplay in general felt really natural and was a lot of fun.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!