Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 781500 times)

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #1300 on: August 20, 2019, 03:32:08 PM »
I'm now currently working my way through the Zelda series, and am on to Twilight Princess (game cube version). So far, the biggest challenge is dealing with the camera controls that seem to be much degraded relative to Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1301 on: August 21, 2019, 01:36:19 AM »
Welp….I preordered Final Fantasy 8 Remastered. I have tried playing the game twice before and could never get into it. Maybe the remaster will motivate me.

I lost much of a summer home from college to that damn game. I got a little too into it.

I am 30 hours into Persona 5 and dare I say it is losing the luster? I feel like a creepy voyeur looking in on the lives of teens. I will put a few more hours into it but I am a little bored. Games are as hard for me to quit as a novel.

I had that issue with the Persona 3 version on the PSP I think it was - got a certain way and... just nothing. It just doesn't have the staying power.

Same with the equivalent game on the Wii U actually, I forget what it's called.

Good old FF VIII. I just wish there was more equipment in the game - I loved sorting weapons and materia in VII. Yes, junctioning, but...

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1302 on: August 21, 2019, 01:48:38 AM »
Oh and Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

Just finished this and really enjoyed it. 153 hours all up to platinum for me but you can get there in 60-70 if you don't do every side mission and complete every location objectives like I did.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #1303 on: August 21, 2019, 02:12:49 PM »
I'm now currently working my way through the Zelda series, and am on to Twilight Princess (game cube version). So far, the biggest challenge is dealing with the camera controls that seem to be much degraded relative to Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker.

What are you playing on that can play games from NES, Super NES, 64, and Cube?

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #1304 on: August 21, 2019, 02:29:43 PM »

Computer with emulators works well for this

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1305 on: August 21, 2019, 04:10:59 PM »
I was using an HP Probook 6465, but it started lagging quite bad on Wind Waker, so I upgraded to a Lenovo W530 turbos up to 3.7 Ghz. Brute processor speed is key in emulation, so if I want to go much further (Skyward Sword?) I'll probably be stuck on my water-cooled 4.5 Ghz home system.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #1306 on: August 21, 2019, 05:50:50 PM »
I've seen a couple emulated NES, played a little bit, but playing just doesn't feel the same with a keyboard instead of a real controller.  I guess they make USB controllers, but probably wouldn't want a different one for every virtual "system"
Where does one find the emulators themselves, and the games though?

I have a 3.6GHz i7, with GE Force GTX 1070 that can play any current game at least on medium settings, but no idea how it would fare for emulating

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1307 on: August 22, 2019, 06:02:54 AM »
I've seen a couple emulated NES, played a little bit, but playing just doesn't feel the same with a keyboard instead of a real controller.  I guess they make USB controllers, but probably wouldn't want a different one for every virtual "system"
Where does one find the emulators themselves, and the games though?

I have a 3.6GHz i7, with GE Force GTX 1070 that can play any current game at least on medium settings, but no idea how it would fare for emulating

I use a wired Xbox 360 controller (it's just regular USB) which works fine for most games. Emulators let you map the buttons how you please.

There is a different emulator project (and often multiple) for every system so it can take some research to find the ones you want. I use RetroArch which allows you to install Cores for each system you want to play which simplifies management quite a bit.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1308 on: August 22, 2019, 07:18:13 AM »
I've seen a couple emulated NES, played a little bit, but playing just doesn't feel the same with a keyboard instead of a real controller.  I guess they make USB controllers, but probably wouldn't want a different one for every virtual "system" Where does one find the emulators themselves, and the games though?
For games, EMU Paradise is a good place to start although they no longer have the games actually made by Nintendo (Mario, Metroid, etc.). With the exception of the Wii, you can use a generic USB controller for most emulators. I use the $15 Logitech F310 and it is great for most systems (and much better than the callous forming monstrosities that can with the NES, and SNES to a much lesser degree). For Wii games, you'll need an authentic Wii controller (not third party) a bluetooth dongle, and a sensor bar. With a 3.6 Ghz i7, you should be able to anything up to Gamecube / PS1. For Wii and PS2 you'll probably want to consider overclocking or getting something faster.

Knapptyme

• Bristles
« Reply #1309 on: August 22, 2019, 07:56:08 AM »
I've generally played a lot of my old RPG's on the SNES, PS2, PS1, Gamecube, and N64, but because the Wii stopped supporting Netflix and Prime, I invested $60 in a PS3. Then my friend gave me some of his old games.

It's been Skyrim ever since. Yes, I'm late to the game, but it's awesome. (Note: I have not played any other Elder Scrolls games.)

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1310 on: August 22, 2019, 12:22:27 PM »
I've generally played a lot of my old RPG's on the SNES, PS2, PS1, Gamecube, and N64, but because the Wii stopped supporting Netflix and Prime, I invested $60 in a PS3. Then my friend gave me some of his old games.

It's been Skyrim ever since. Yes, I'm late to the game, but it's awesome. (Note: I have not played any other Elder Scrolls games.)

Skyrim is an all-time classic and I put about 100 hours in it. However, as much as I tried I just could not get past how bad the combat is. I love the bows, but melee is atrocious. It's very light and loosey goosey. I guess Dark Souls ruined the combat of every other game for me.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #1311 on: August 24, 2019, 04:38:12 PM »
...plus I have Bloodborne and the Uncharted trilogy loaded up and beckoning me every time I log on. Oh and Assassin's Creed Odyssey. The temptation is brutal. Damn new and shiny things.

I`m showing blatant favoritism in saying go with Bloodborne. Especially if you like or love Dark Souls.

AnswerIs42

• Stubble
« Reply #1312 on: August 24, 2019, 05:25:02 PM »
I use a wired Xbox 360 controller (it's just regular USB) which works fine for most games. Emulators let you map the buttons how you please.
I use one of these too on my PC, it's great for games that use analogue control. Although the D-pad seems pretty awful, so it's not the best for emulating games that use digital controls.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1313 on: August 27, 2019, 10:45:54 AM »
...plus I have Bloodborne and the Uncharted trilogy loaded up and beckoning me every time I log on. Oh and Assassin's Creed Odyssey. The temptation is brutal. Damn new and shiny things.

I`m showing blatant favoritism in saying go with Bloodborne. Especially if you like or love Dark Souls.

So I had to walk away from Persona 5 for a while. I have every intention of going back to it because the story is compelling.

Bloodborne is a fantastic game. I played and beat Dark Souls I, II, and III, and I was simply shocked by how totally difficult the SECOND FREAKIN' boss was. Father Gascoign (sp?) kicked my ass about 25 times. The internet said the boss is specifically designed to teach Dark Souls players that they need to play differently in this game. You simply have to use well-timed blunderbuss attacks if you want to beat this guy. He is so damned fast and his last phase is absolutely brutal. Thank you Molotov cocktails! My only complaint is it sucks that they made the player farm for blood vials. The estus flask system is just miles better than stupid-ass random blood-vial drops.

Anyway, I am about 20 odd hours into the game and I will have to think long and hard about whether this game is better than ANY of the DS games. It's that good. I mean, gatlin guns mounted to wheelchairs? C'mon!

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1314 on: September 12, 2019, 08:55:50 AM »
Finished Bloodborne. I rank it just behind Dark Souls III on my list of favorite games of all time. I beat every boss EXCEPT for the final boss of the DLC. I will return to his ass one day.

It is so good that it ruins other games. I don't know what to play now. Started AC Odyssey and I am enjoying it, but the combat is just garbage after Bloodborne. I will just do stealth as much as possible. 

I will play Sekeiro once the price his $20. Looooooong wait for Elden Ring.

Anyone pick up Borderlands 3 yet? I am reading some lukewarm reviews. The comedy is a bit tired, apparently. 

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1315 on: September 12, 2019, 09:33:13 AM »
I preordered Borderlands 3 after the reviews came out this week and a friend agreed to get it as well.  There are a couple of mediocre reviews, but most of them are very good - Metacritic is standing in the mid-80s.  Hopefully I can carve out some time for it this evening. 

I'm also waiting for a good deal on Sekiro.  Might be another year, but I can wait. 

Just finished Prey after a $5 steam sale.  Was hard to really get into it, but I persisted and enjoyed the later half of the game much more than the first half.  The gameplay changes a great deal throughout; in the first half you're insanely weak and can barely fight anything face-to-face.  Then you unlock a bunch of powers/upgrades and start curbstomping the enemies.

I also bought Doom and Far Cry Primal for $5 each and haven't gotten around to them yet.  They're going to have to wait while I hit up BL3, hopefully for many months.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1316 on: September 12, 2019, 09:35:35 AM »
I preordered Borderlands 3 after the reviews came out this week and a friend agreed to get it as well.  There are a couple of mediocre reviews, but most of them are very good - Metacritic is standing in the mid-80s.  Hopefully I can carve out some time for it this evening. 

I'm also waiting for a good deal on Sekiro.  Might be another year, but I can wait. 

Just finished Prey after a $5 steam sale.  Was hard to really get into it, but I persisted and enjoyed the later half of the game much more than the first half.  The gameplay changes a great deal throughout; in the first half you're insanely weak and can barely fight anything face-to-face.  Then you unlock a bunch of powers/upgrades and start curbstomping the enemies.

I also bought Doom and Far Cry Primal for $5 each and haven't gotten around to them yet.  They're going to have to wait while I hit up BL3, hopefully for many months.

Doom is spectacular.  I haven't tried Far Cry Primal yet -- I'm so far behind on games I already have that it's hard to justify getting anything else...

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1317 on: September 12, 2019, 09:43:22 AM »
I can also vouch for Doom. Put on some headphones and just have a blast.

I also bought Prey for $5. That was too good a deal to pass up. I haven't started it yet though.

If Borderlands 3 was actually just Borderlands 2 2, I would be perfectly happy. If you are a Borderlands guy you know what to expect. I wouldn't expect 3 to mess with the formula too much. I also read that the guns are even better in 3. That's basically all I need to hear. But, alas, I am a mustachian. I bet the game can be had for 40 during the Christmas sales.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1318 on: September 19, 2019, 11:27:13 AM »
So I’m about 20 hours into AC Odyssey, and it’s just OK.  To be fair, I find soulsbourne games to be so ridiculously engaging that any game I play immediately after is destined to feel meh.

Does anyone on here watch Skill Up on YouTube? It’s a channel devoted to video games. They post extremely well-written, long-form video game reviews. The review of ACO is provocative. (I would post a link but it is currently firewalled.) The reviewer mentioned that once you hit level ~25 in the game, the very next mission recommends a level of ~35 for completion. This means you have to grind for HOURS to fill this gap and get into the end-game content. He suggests - does not accuse in any way - that Ubisoft may have done this as a way to prompt the user to buy XP with actual cash in order to skip the grind. He also mentions that the side quests that need to be completed to gain the necessary XP to continue the story are extremely dull. Because few people will pay cash money for the XP and few people will subject themselves to an hours-long, boring, grind, few people will ever experience the end-game. The end-game, in the reviewer’s estimation, is the best part.

I dunno, I was just curious if anyone had any thoughts on this. If this was in fact Ubisoft’s plan, I find it completely despicable. As it is, I do not think I will play any more Ubisoft games. They’re all open world grind-fests with few novel ideas and poor RPG elements.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1319 on: September 22, 2019, 02:13:09 AM »
I really enjoyed exploring the map in ACO and doing every side mission and clearing every camp so I had no trouble being the right level for any of the main missions. In fact, I was worried I was going to finish the main missions too soon so I did all my exploration earlier, which required me to revisit some areas as the locals were too high a level when I first went there.

I can see how it you just wanted to play the main story that you could be either forced into grindsville or feel tempted to pay for XP to skip it. Fortunately, I was having so much fun that it was never an issue.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1320 on: September 22, 2019, 09:52:32 AM »
Been playing a lot of Overwatch and Rocket League. Not new and pretty standard, but I love the fact that you can constantly get better in these games.

Has anyone actively made an attempt to seriously reduce or eliminate their gaming for periods in their life? I never want to quit gaming, but I need/want to focus on other things for a while I think and I have trouble not just defaulting to playing games. Part of it is that I have a gaming PC and want to learn to code so I want to switch over to 100% Mac so gaming isn't really an option.
I have two thoughts on the subject:
1) As I've aged (now 38) I've noticed that I don't get the same sense of satisfaction/rush/enjoyment out of video games as I used to. Maybe it's an age thing.
2) Also, with other responsibilities and projects taking more of my time, I find I have less time available for gaming.
3) I've noticed a lot of the urge to play comes from habit and/or being tired, rather than an actual desire to play. If I get the urge to play, it helps me to think about what I'm hoping to get out of the time playing. That helps break the impulse.
4) A lot of games are designed to be addicting, more than fun. Any time I feel like I have to play a game because I might "miss out" on something, that's a sign to me that I am now serving the game instead of the other way around, and it may be time to change it out.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1321 on: September 22, 2019, 10:59:34 AM »
Been playing a lot of Overwatch and Rocket League. Not new and pretty standard, but I love the fact that you can constantly get better in these games.

Has anyone actively made an attempt to seriously reduce or eliminate their gaming for periods in their life? I never want to quit gaming, but I need/want to focus on other things for a while I think and I have trouble not just defaulting to playing games. Part of it is that I have a gaming PC and want to learn to code so I want to switch over to 100% Mac so gaming isn't really an option.
I have two thoughts on the subject:
1) As I've aged (now 38) I've noticed that I don't get the same sense of satisfaction/rush/enjoyment out of video games as I used to. Maybe it's an age thing.
2) Also, with other responsibilities and projects taking more of my time, I find I have less time available for gaming.
3) I've noticed a lot of the urge to play comes from habit and/or being tired, rather than an actual desire to play. If I get the urge to play, it helps me to think about what I'm hoping to get out of the time playing. That helps break the impulse.
4) A lot of games are designed to be addicting, more than fun. Any time I feel like I have to play a game because I might "miss out" on something, that's a sign to me that I am now serving the game instead of the other way around, and it may be time to change it out.

My college roommates and I play PS4 every Monday night (we are all 39yo now).   15yrs ago in college we would spend 4hrs per day playing games, not to brag but we were pretty epic when it came to game skill.

Now... None of us can really get into games.  All the fps games are the same. You spend 2hrs on some stupid tutorial mission before you're allowed to access the multi-player functionality.  And then once you do that the games require way too much investment to try and mange your weapons and upgrades.. It's downright ridiculous.  I don't have time for that shit. I don't care about 1500 weapons or skins that I can buy or whatever, I just want immersive simple game play. These games are all the same now and there's very little strategy VS just running around blowing shit up.  We will usually play a game for a few weeks then get frustrated with it.  Give me Ghost Recon again please (yes I still play that on my Microsoft surface). 

Rocket league has stood the test of time for us.  Fortnight is downright stupid.

The only game I continually sit down and play myself is Homeworld (again, works awesome on my Surface).  I love that game.  I'm trying to convince myself to fire up final fantasy 7 this winter to try and play that again. I think I'd rather build my nixie clock though.  There's only so much time to go around...

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1322 on: September 22, 2019, 12:13:05 PM »
The only game I continually sit down and play myself is Homeworld (again, works awesome on my Surface).  I love that game.  I'm trying to convince myself to fire up final fantasy 7 this winter to try and play that again. I think I'd rather build my nixie clock though.  There's only so much time to go around...
I can't tell you how many times I played through the HW campaign.  Do you play the original, or remastered?

"Only so much time" is so true.  One thing that I've come to realize:  progress, rank, achievements, unlocks, etc in a game all boil down to bits on a computer somewhere, and are ephemeral.  If I instead choose to spend my time building something tangible, I will be able to enjoy the fruits of that labor for a long, long time.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1323 on: September 22, 2019, 05:49:36 PM »
I can't tell you how many times I played through the HW campaign.  Do you play the original, or remastered?

"Only so much time" is so true.  One thing that I've come to realize:  progress, rank, achievements, unlocks, etc in a game all boil down to bits on a computer somewhere, and are ephemeral.  If I instead choose to spend my time building something tangible, I will be able to enjoy the fruits of that labor for a long, long time.

I still have the original HW box and CD, along with strategy guide, but they don't really work on Win10.  So I play the remastered version on Steam. I don't notice any difference in game play and the gfx are better anyhow. I just wish they would finally give the same treatment to Mechwarrior 2.  That and Xwing and TIE Fighter.

But yeah, the games now are too much of an investment for guys like us.  But I guess kids can afford to play them and have the time to do so, so they'll continue to cater to that market.

OH yeah, and another annoying thing... Every other week there is a multi gigabyte update for just about every game.   What the fuck, I literally have to start up my PS4 the day before game night just to allow time for the weekly updates.  It's ridiculous.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1324 on: October 08, 2019, 07:21:34 AM »
Was looking forward to playing Tower of Time. Bought it from Steam, but it wouldn't boot. Crashed over and over again. I do not have the time to troubleshoot, so Steam granted a refund.

Exact same thing happened with Hollow Knight. As far as I could tell on the internet, the game somehow doesn't work if you have Citrix on your computer. But I need Citrix for work. Steam wouldn't give me my money back because I owned the game for over 2 weeks before attempting to play it. BS policy.

C'mon indy developers, get your S together. 

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #1325 on: October 09, 2019, 01:01:08 PM »
Not ideal, but you could create a virtual machine and just play in that?

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1326 on: October 10, 2019, 07:43:37 AM »
Not ideal, but you could create a virtual machine and just play in that?

Wow, come to think of it I do have Linux on a different partition. I didn't think of that!!

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1327 on: October 12, 2019, 07:31:10 AM »
Anyone interested in Minecraft dungeons?  I think it is coming out soon.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1328 on: October 12, 2019, 07:48:38 AM »
Still mindlessly playing Masters of Orion 2.  I'm in the middle of catching up on several years worth of podcasts and I can't actively listen to something and read at the same time, so I have to do something to pass the time without engaging too many brain cells.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1329 on: October 12, 2019, 07:50:51 AM »
Still mindlessly playing Masters of Orion 2.  I'm in the middle of catching up on several years worth of podcasts and I can't actively listen to something and read at the same time, so I have to do something to pass the time without engaging too many brain cells.

Have you ever tried FreeOrion?

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1330 on: October 12, 2019, 07:12:39 PM »

Heard of it, haven't tried it.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1331 on: October 12, 2019, 07:13:09 PM »
WoW Classic.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1332 on: October 12, 2019, 07:43:40 PM »

Heard of it, haven't tried it.

It's an open source game inspired by the Master of Orion series.
https://www.freeorion.org/

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1333 on: October 13, 2019, 08:56:17 AM »
WoW Classic.

I got my wow classic hunter to 60 already and working on my mage.  It is quite fun, more fun than retail wow for me.   I have to carve out some time for raiding soon.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1334 on: October 13, 2019, 09:13:43 PM »
I got my wow classic hunter to 60 already and working on my mage.  It is quite fun, more fun than retail wow for me.   I have to carve out some time for raiding soon.

That's awesome! I've been playing outside too much since WoW Classic was released. Weather has been too good to pass up, so I'm only sitting at level 37 right now.

I lost interest in WoW in 2010 after a few expansions. I played from day 1 in 2004, and had over 500 days of /played time across my 4 characters.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1335 on: October 14, 2019, 09:15:39 AM »

That's awesome! I've been playing outside too much since WoW Classic was released. Weather has been too good to pass up, so I'm only sitting at level 37 right now.

I lost interest in WoW in 2010 after a few expansions. I played from day 1 in 2004, and had over 500 days of /played time across my 4 characters.

Ah, those magical lost days.  Grinded out like crazy during one of the 2003 stress tests to grab one of the top spots in order for early beta access (I believe that the top 3 levels of each class per faction made it in).  Played pretty constantly, but lost steam sometime around BWL release, as I couldn't really get into 40-man raiding. 

Played it for a bit several months after TBC, but mostly just fiddled around with PVP, then quit again.  Picked it up seriously with WotLK, leveled a DK and did the raiding thing with one of the top guilds on our server.  No time...and probably not enough patience...to play like that again, but lots of memories.  I might've been tempted to do WoW classic if I were FIRE, but no way to juggle that and kids/job/house currently.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1336 on: October 17, 2019, 05:51:03 AM »
I picked up a copy of the extended version of the original Fable the other night.  It was like $1.50 at the thrift store.  My kid has already taken it over.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1337 on: October 17, 2019, 07:32:43 AM »
Wondering if anyone has sampled the new Destiny 2 content. Thinking of jumping back in.

I am stuck in a serious rut with Nioh. I am on Way of the Nioh, aka NG++++. At this level, being grazed by the coattail of an attacking enemy is instant death. The mechanics designed for NG are totally broken at NG++++. It's madness. Such is the extend of my loot addiction.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 07:35:36 AM by eljefe-speaks »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1338 on: October 17, 2019, 10:34:30 AM »
I'm not a big gamer, don't even own a system. But I do have 1 game - Lord of the Rings Lego for PS3. I borrowed my friend's (unused) PS3 and am having fun with that. Said friend also got me the Star Wars lego game for my birthday. That will hopefully be fun too.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1339 on: October 17, 2019, 10:37:57 AM »
I'm not a big gamer, don't even own a system. But I do have 1 game - Lord of the Rings Lego for PS3. I borrowed my friend's (unused) PS3 and am having fun with that. Said friend also got me the Star Wars lego game for my birthday. That will hopefully be fun too.

There is little that is more satisfying than force-choking a Lego Jar Jar Binks.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1340 on: October 23, 2019, 09:30:37 AM »
I am very tempted buy the upcoming Call of Duty. I have not played a COD since Modern Warfare 2. Mostly considering the purchase because of the crossplay, which is a promising development for the future of games. Looking forward to playing with some old high school buddies who have a mishmash of PS, XBOX, PC.

Will I be seeing an MMMers on there?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1341 on: October 23, 2019, 11:26:44 AM »
Was looking forward to playing Tower of Time.

Added it to my list.

I'm also about to replay Homeworld (remastered). Turn off the lights, turn up the speakers, and it becomes such an immersive game.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1342 on: October 23, 2019, 01:14:16 PM »
Started some couch co-op with SO & roommates, playing Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime. It's a spectacular casual couch co-op game.

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #1343 on: October 23, 2019, 01:53:42 PM »
getting excited for Outer Worlds :) (OG Fallout guys)

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1344 on: October 23, 2019, 02:06:21 PM »
Big fan of Obsidian so I'm super excited for Outer Worlds but can't justify buying it full price since I have a big backlog of games to get through first. I'm actually playing through Tyranny right now after having enjoyed Pillars of Eternity, and will probably get to Pillars of Eternity II soon!

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #1345 on: October 23, 2019, 02:08:03 PM »
Big fan of Obsidian so I'm super excited for Outer Worlds but can't justify buying it full price since I have a big backlog of games to get through first. I'm actually playing through Tyranny right now after having enjoyed Pillars of Eternity, and will probably get to Pillars of Eternity II soon!

That's probably smart, I don't play many games, but have always loved all the Fallouts so this is the first game i'm playing since I played Fallout 76, which was a bit of a dog.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1346 on: October 24, 2019, 06:35:11 AM »
My kid is into the Switch and we're going to have 21 very long hours to kill on a train in a few weeks.  Besides Mario Maker 2 and Luigi's Mansion 3, which he's already asked for, does anyone have any recommendations to keep a 6 year-old occupied?

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1347 on: October 24, 2019, 07:40:33 AM »
My kid is into the Switch and we're going to have 21 very long hours to kill on a train in a few weeks.  Besides Mario Maker 2 and Luigi's Mansion 3, which he's already asked for, does anyone have any recommendations to keep a 6 year-old occupied?

I think Link's Awakening would be fit for a 6 year old. Its a remake of a 1993 Game Boy game. And I bet you would enjoy it too.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1348 on: October 28, 2019, 08:55:43 AM »

I think Link's Awakening would be fit for a 6 year old. Its a remake of a 1993 Game Boy game. And I bet you would enjoy it too.

He already has that one.  Plus Breath of the Wild.  We are HUGE Link fans around here.  He's actually going as Link for Halloween for the third time in four years.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1349 on: October 28, 2019, 02:39:13 PM »
CODMW has been pretty good so far in a huge budget, AAA, casual, bro gamer kinda way. (Yep - I consider myself a mustachian and I paid full price for a new game - it was like the first time ever - hope I am not slipping!)

However, once again, a AAA title has released before it was finished. I am playing on PC and the campaign cut scenes are broken. They freeze and the audio/visual gets out of sync. The game has crashed once, requiring a PC reboot. The day-one patch was like 10 gig! Multiplayer is rubber-banding and freezing to the point of moderate frustration. Oh well, I guess I will wait for the kinks to get worked out. My buddy on XBOX has not reported multiplayer problems so I am really hoping that the problem isn't with my system. I put all graphics settings on low and turned off the bells and whistled, but everything is still janky. Tonight I will hardwire the internet and see if that helps. Would be curious if any other MMMers bought the game and if they're having any issues.