Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 780913 times)

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #850 on: May 14, 2017, 07:47:37 PM »
In case anyone missed it - starcraft is free. Many, many days were wasted playing this game when I was younger. So much fun in the custom games

https://starcraft.com/en-us/articles/20674424

Ahhh the memories!

twbird18

• Stubble
« Reply #851 on: May 14, 2017, 10:45:23 PM »
I just played through  10 second Ninja which was actually pretty fun (& frustrating) - it was free last month with a PS subscription. Gonna try out Type:Rider this month because I'm definitely the kind of person who wants to learn more about the history of fonts through a video game. Also, might play Lego Star Wars on XBox.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #852 on: May 15, 2017, 02:53:30 PM »
Overwatch's 1 year anniversary is coming up and let me say it's one of the best value games I've ever played. A year has gone by and I have just as much fun playing as I did initially.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #853 on: May 15, 2017, 08:44:38 PM »
Overwatch's 1 year anniversary is coming up and let me say it's one of the best value games I've ever played. A year has gone by and I have just as much fun playing as I did initially.

Interesting...I tried it and honestly don't see the appeal of it.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #854 on: May 15, 2017, 09:14:20 PM »
Still stuck in the dota 2 phase mostly here. Hell of a learning curve but if you overcome it, it provides unlimited entertainment for free (as long as you can refrain from buying the optional cosmetics anyway!). Also been enjoying programming oriented puzzle games as well. Human Resource Machine and TIS-100 are both pretty great and can be had quite cheap on sale.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #855 on: May 16, 2017, 08:57:24 AM »

Interesting...I tried it and honestly don't see the appeal of it.

It is much much more appealing playing with friends because it's a completely team-based game. That's a major caveat.

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #856 on: May 16, 2017, 11:04:09 AM »
Is anyone else playing Playerunknown Battlegrounds? As a Hunger Games fan, I like the concept of the game, though it can be very tedious at points as it can sometimes take forever to find other players (or for other players to find you).

I also recently started playing Stardew Valley. I really enjoyed it at first, but am now at the point of "I am running around trying to be friends with these characters instead of trying to be friends with people in real life", soo I had to take a break from it. Same reason I had to stop playing the Sims awhile back.

And, my most recent game discovery: if you are at work and want a nice 5 minute break, I highly recommend splix.io.

Cezil

• Stubble
« Reply #857 on: May 16, 2017, 11:24:00 AM »
Is anyone else playing Playerunknown Battlegrounds? As a Hunger Games fan, I like the concept of the game, though it can be very tedious at points as it can sometimes take forever to find other players (or for other players to find you).

I cannot wait to finally buy and play this game!  We watched Battle Royale a few weeks ago before we even found this game..so I will wear my shirt for Girl #3 when I eventually get to play it.  Hopefully soon..

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #858 on: May 18, 2017, 05:08:17 AM »
I just bought the Guild Collection Bundle off of steam (four games for $5 currently). Played the first one for an hour last night (took nearly that long to get through the tutorial), and it seems like it could be a super fun game if I can get it to work. It seems they've made updates to gameplay, but didn't update the tutorial, so it's been a bit tricky to figure out. I'm home sick today, so I think I'll have some time to figure it out.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #859 on: May 18, 2017, 10:19:31 AM »
anyone tried astroneer?  I saw a brief video on it.  It sort of looks like space minecraft?

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #860 on: May 18, 2017, 11:20:03 AM »
Oh man, that game "Astroneer" is making me want to get a cheap PC more and more! I have not bought a console in years. The more I consider games, the more I think getting a PC is the way to go. Especially since you get so many more games for so cheap (when on sale).

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #861 on: May 26, 2017, 02:18:22 PM »
Steam Sale!

Don't Starve: $3.74
Don't Starve Together: 9.74
Don't Starve Bundle (including two DLC): 12.21

Fallout 4: 19.79

Couple of other good deals too.

zoltani

« Reply #862 on: May 26, 2017, 03:05:04 PM »
I think don't starve is an insanely fun game, but it's an either love it or hate it type of game.

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #863 on: May 27, 2017, 12:44:08 PM »
While visiting my brother I played through Limbo and Inside.  Those are two great games!

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #864 on: May 27, 2017, 01:36:58 PM »
Recently downloaded Fallout Shelter mobile edition. Super fun game and done a lot better than I had thought. As a fan of the Fallout series, I would highly recommend it to other fans since there is a lot of stuff you'll dig.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #865 on: May 28, 2017, 03:45:46 AM »
Thanks to a hacker who got into my Origin account and bought the only free thing he/she could because I never let websites remember my credit card details, I've been playing and enjoying Syberia II. My account is now properly secured and I am grateful to my hacker for his/her serendipitous addition to my game collection.

caffeine

• Stubble
« Reply #866 on: May 30, 2017, 12:06:12 PM »
I got the new Friday the 13th game on PC/Steam. It's a blast! I wasted a lot of hours this holiday weekend playing it. If anyone is interested in getting a good group together, send me a PM :)

A game starts with a full game being 9 people. Each gets to pick their preference of Jason (from which movie he came from) and one of the consolers (from the movies). Who is Jason is randomly determined. Consolers try to survive 20 minutes, escape, or kill Jason.

Tons of fun!

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #867 on: May 31, 2017, 07:06:56 AM »
Fallout shelter is a good mobile game.  It seems simple but has a surprising amount of depth with crafting and quests. 

garth

• Stubble
« Reply #868 on: June 29, 2017, 10:14:56 AM »
I picked up Snake Pass a few days ago (40% off on Switch). After an hour or so, the controls clicked, and I'm really loving it. I guess you'd describe it as a physics-based platformer? I've 100%'d the first 5 or 6 and found the challenges satisfying and kinda relaxing.

Also: Pumped to get the Tingle outfit in BotW this Friday!

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #869 on: June 29, 2017, 11:08:56 AM »

I'm also playing Breath of the Wild, but I've barely scratched the surface (Maybe 10hrs in).  I was tempted to buy up all of the amiibos for the bonuses, but my Mustache kicked in and I found the amiibo cards on Etsy for a fraction of the price.  They should arrive today or tomorrow!

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #870 on: June 29, 2017, 12:15:33 PM »

I'm also playing Breath of the Wild, but I've barely scratched the surface (Maybe 10hrs in).  I was tempted to buy up all of the amiibos for the bonuses, but my Mustache kicked in and I found the amiibo cards on Etsy for a fraction of the price.  They should arrive today or tomorrow!

I'm trying REALLY HARD not to get the Switch... yet. I told myself it can be my annual after-Christmas present (I always get myself a present after Christmas, usually after New Years, when my bonus comes in and everything's on sale. Makes me curb my unnecessary purchases through the year). I played a bit of BotW on my boyfriend's Switch... ugh I wants it. Stardew Valley is also scheduled to come out for it sometime in the Fall, which is RIDICULOUS because I've already spent 200+ on my PC (where the game was $15)... I would not need to spend another $30 or $40 for a game I already have. But there's a really good chance I will anyway.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #871 on: June 29, 2017, 12:34:35 PM »
I hadn't played any games in over a year, but I found myself laid up on the couch all weekend with a bum foot, and I was reminded what a pleasant distraction they can be in such situations. As it happens, I had long ago bought the first two Mass Effect games on Steam sale, but never got around to playing them. Given that the new one just came out, I figured it was the perfect time to try the earlier installments!

AFAICT (and please correct me if I'm wrong), neither ME1 or 2 support a game controller on the PC version. Which kind of sucks since for normal (non-gaming) input, I'm rocking a long-range wireless keyboard/trackpad combo (only thing that works well from the couch).

Fortunately these two games are playable with the trackpad (unlike some others where the mouse sensitivity seems to be completely off the charts). ME1 even has a setting to increase the "targetting assist" so that my clumsy swiping gets me close enough to actually hit something!

However, ME2 is a bit more "shooter-y" and requires more precision; so far my "soldier" character is being seriously out-classed in combat by his techy squad-mates. And at least one of the mini-games ("bypass") turns out to be practically un-playable, due to a very short timeout when trying to select a second item. I'm getting by so far, but I may have to see if I still have the older mouse/keyboard setup I used before I moved the the current combo device...

Currently playing through Andromeda. It's alright. They have great combat...think the ME2 shooter aspects along with new vertical movement.

Unfortunately they bring back a lot of the open world aspects from ME1....which don't hold together well, IMO. Oh, you know mining in ME2? Now you can mine while you drive around the Mako! That combination alone makes me want to throw the whole system out the window.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #872 on: June 29, 2017, 12:49:21 PM »

I'm trying REALLY HARD not to get the Switch... yet. I told myself it can be my annual after-Christmas present (I always get myself a present after Christmas, usually after New Years, when my bonus comes in and everything's on sale. Makes me curb my unnecessary purchases through the year). I played a bit of BotW on my boyfriend's Switch... ugh I wants it. Stardew Valley is also scheduled to come out for it sometime in the Fall, which is RIDICULOUS because I've already spent 200+ on my PC (where the game was $15)... I would not need to spend another $30 or $40 for a game I already have. But there's a really good chance I will anyway.

Lis,

I picked up a used Wii U.  I paid $200 and got the Wii U with Mario Kart 8, BotW, Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, and a Pro Controller (and 3 other games that I sold to disc replay for $18).  I'm loving it.  My Wife and I have even been playing Mario Kart & Mario 3D World together!

There is one I saw on OfferUp this morning with a similar package listed at $300.  I thought about offering $200 just to resell, but I'm feeling lazy.  The bundle is worth over $400 easy.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #873 on: June 29, 2017, 03:22:26 PM »

Lis,

I picked up a used Wii U.  I paid $200 and got the Wii U with Mario Kart 8, BotW, Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, and a Pro Controller (and 3 other games that I sold to disc replay for $18).  I'm loving it.  My Wife and I have even been playing Mario Kart & Mario 3D World together!

There is one I saw on OfferUp this morning with a similar package listed at $300.  I thought about offering $200 just to resell, but I'm feeling lazy.  The bundle is worth over $400 easy.

Out of curiosity I looked around my area. There's one bundle for $300 that has a ridiculous amount of stuff (3 controllers, one pro controller, 12 games, other stuff). As tempting as it is, it's not in the budget right now.

zoltani

« Reply #874 on: June 29, 2017, 04:08:41 PM »
Picked up fallout 4 for $20 at target. Amazing amount of content and entertainment for $20. Now to avoid the temptation of falling in too deep.

aaahhrealmarcus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Declutter. Decommodify. Denerdify.
    • Minimally Nerdy
« Reply #875 on: June 30, 2017, 07:08:26 AM »
Just downloaded the "Master Mode" DLC for Zelda. Super disappointed that you can't just switch difficulty levels on the fly with a simple toggle (like Skyrim or Fallout) but instead the game makes you start completely over from scratch if you want to play in hard mode. I'm not reliving the last 100+ hrs of my life. That's enough time wasted already!

Rogue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #876 on: June 30, 2017, 07:22:13 AM »
My wife and I have been playing Dungeon Defenders II on Xbox One, we'll sneak a round or two in when DS in napping.

DW isn't into gaming as much as I am, so it's nice to have lighter games that we can play together and enjoy.

garth

• Stubble
« Reply #877 on: June 30, 2017, 08:06:08 AM »
Just downloaded the "Master Mode" DLC for Zelda. Super disappointed that you can't just switch difficulty levels on the fly with a simple toggle (like Skyrim or Fallout) but instead the game makes you start completely over from scratch if you want to play in hard mode. I'm not reliving the last 100+ hrs of my life. That's enough time wasted already!

It is a bummer. But at least you get to keep your old save file. I plan to dabble in hard mode, but I don't see myself committing much time to it.

skeeder

• Stubble
« Reply #878 on: June 30, 2017, 11:52:26 AM »
I put about 200 hours into Overwatch over the last 9 months.  On a whim, I picked up City Skylines, and somehow the inner kid that played Simcity 2000 came out. 

City Skylines is on sale right now for $7.50 on steam.

Ursus Major

• Stubble
« Reply #879 on: July 01, 2017, 11:57:30 AM »
Steam has their summer sale going on right now until July, 5th. I picked up Shadow of Mordor for $3.99.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #880 on: July 02, 2017, 08:55:05 PM »
I've put waaaaay too many hours into Kerbal Space Program.  Probably some of the best money spent for the amount of entertainment I've had.  I spent $16 on it, and I've probably played 2,000 hours.

I also do a little Minecraft, the occasional Team Fortress 2, and Starcraft 2 (Nexus Wars).  But KSP really tickles my engineer bone.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #881 on: July 03, 2017, 01:56:07 AM »
Picked up fallout 4 for $20 at target. Amazing amount of content and entertainment for $20. Now to avoid the temptation of falling in too deep.
I've been playing that. Play on Survival mode, it's good practice at being frugal.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #882 on: July 05, 2017, 06:48:46 AM »
I found an old gift card to a video game store that someone gave me for Christmas a few years ago, so I decided to use it to pick up a copy of Skyrim. Holy cow. This game is amazing. It's like World of Warcraft, except you don't have other players trying to murder you all the time. In fact, since it's a single player game, it's a great way to isolate and de-stress after spending my entire day being civil to people. It was really cheap too, since it's been out for six years so far. I got the PS3 version since that's the game system I own. (My in-laws gave us one as a gift a few years ago.)

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #883 on: July 05, 2017, 08:35:57 AM »
I put about 200 hours into Overwatch over the last 9 months.  On a whim, I picked up City Skylines, and somehow the inner kid that played Simcity 2000 came out. 

City Skylines is on sale right now for $7.50 on steam.

Oh snap thanks for the heads up! I've been wanting this game for a while but didn't want to pay full price. Just picked up the deluxe for $10 :)

lexandro

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #884 on: July 05, 2017, 09:17:07 AM »
Minecraft and World of Tanks are good time wasters for me... :)

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #885 on: July 06, 2017, 07:43:41 AM »
Cities Skylines might be too powerful for my computer :( The lag was ridiculous. I moved everything from high quality to medium, and it froze before I could move it lower. Any tips or tricks to help speed it up? Everything's up to date, virus scan showed nothing, disk defrag ran, and nothing else was running during game play. (It's a five year old computer that was pretty decent at it's prime. I can get the specs if that'll help.)

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #886 on: July 06, 2017, 03:40:09 PM »
Apparently Cities Skylines is just ridiculously intense. I picked it up but Reddit said it's basically unusable once your city gets above like 30,000 people.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #887 on: July 07, 2017, 06:18:16 AM »
Apparently Cities Skylines is just ridiculously intense. I picked it up but Reddit said it's basically unusable once your city gets above like 30,000 people.

I had a similar issue with Stellaris.  When playing on even a medium sized galaxy, once I owned about half the map, the game bogged down.  I switched to the smallest map for my next game, and didn't have the same issues.

Just an FYI in case any of you guys play it.  It's a really fun 4X game.

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #888 on: July 10, 2017, 07:32:30 PM »

I love Cities Skylines but my machine does run it a bit slow. Lucky for me that I'm pretty awful at the game so far, so getting my city above 30,000 people is a distant dream at this point!

YummyRaisins

• Stubble
« Reply #889 on: July 11, 2017, 07:51:17 PM »
Picked up Stardew Valley during the Steam Summer sale.

Can't stop fishing!

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #890 on: July 11, 2017, 08:30:05 PM »

Can't stop fishing!

Say goodbye to everything you love, that game is stupidly addicting. (Paid full price for it and worth every single penny.)

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #891 on: July 11, 2017, 10:08:03 PM »

Can't stop fishing!

Say goodbye to everything you love, that game is stupidly addicting. (Paid full price for it and worth every single penny.)

Agreed! Great game! I got burnt out after around 50 hours of playtime, but for $15, that's a great value as far as I'm concerned. I could see myself getting sucked back in at some point, too.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #892 on: July 12, 2017, 07:28:31 AM »

Can't stop fishing!

Agreed! Great game! I got burnt out after around 50 hours of playtime, but for $15, that's a great value as far as I'm concerned. I could see myself getting sucked back in at some point, too.

I might have reentered burnout mode again (I keep wanting to play, but every time I'm at my computer, I just don't feel like loading it up). I currently have ~220 hours, and there's still a ridiculous amount of content I haven't seen yet (I restarted a few times to check out the different maps, redo after burnout, etc.). I think this is one of those games I'll just continue to return to for a long, long time.

PhysicsCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #893 on: July 12, 2017, 11:46:09 AM »
I've bought Dark Souls 1 and 2 a while back and played a little. I've been wanting to get number 3, but told myself I couldn't until I beat the other 2, so now I'm a decent way through number 1.

Also playing a bit of Elite: Dangerous. Decided to check out Colonia. That was a nice trip. Then the Thargoid stuff started happening. So far away...

Meowkins

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #894 on: July 12, 2017, 12:44:51 PM »
Black Desert Online (picked up for $8 on steam sale) is the game I have been waiting for. Needless complicated, endlessly customizable, easy on the eyes, and easy to AFK. My kind of MMO.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #895 on: July 13, 2017, 06:30:23 AM »
Black Desert Online (picked up for $8 on steam sale) is the game I have been waiting for. Needless complicated, endlessly customizable, easy on the eyes, and easy to AFK. My kind of MMO.

Oh, I had forgotten about that game!  I remember hearing there was an expansion coming out soon (or maybe out now?).  It did look beautiful.

What do you mean by "easy to AFK"?  I know what AFK means, I am just curious how it's easy to walk away from a computer in any MMO.

BiochemicalDJ

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
    • My FI Journal
« Reply #896 on: July 13, 2017, 08:02:10 AM »
Right now I'm big into Battlefield 1 (Not very mustachian, but for 300 hours on $45 I'm not complaining.)

The Humble Monthly Bundle has been putting out some gems recently, big piles of games for 12 USD per month. Putting a surprising amount of time into an online board game called 'Armello' with some friends that I got from the most recent one- one of those 'minute to learn, lifetime to master' kind of deals.

Speaking of which, Capcom Humble Bundle is on right now and you can get some really great games for 7-12USD for the whole bundle!

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #897 on: July 13, 2017, 08:11:00 AM »

Picked up Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive Edition during the Steam sale.   

Wow - great game if you like side scrollers.  Absolutely beautiful graphics.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #898 on: July 13, 2017, 08:19:26 AM »
On my second playthrough of Horizon Zero Dawn. Amazing game. My first playthrough was something like 120 hours. It's just so gorgeous (even on an old TV), and I spent so much time climbing up on high things just for the view. Also I suck at vidya games, so it was slow going the first time. I did manage to do all the quests (including the stupid weapon tutorial "quests"), get all of the data points/collectibles, and get the platinum. Now I'm just playing through to reexperience the story from the perspective of already knowing all the big reveals.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #899 on: July 14, 2017, 02:31:52 AM »
On my second playthrough of Horizon Zero Dawn. Amazing game. My first playthrough was something like 120 hours. It's just so gorgeous (even on an old TV), and I spent so much time climbing up on high things just for the view. Also I suck at vidya games, so it was slow going the first time. I did manage to do all the quests (including the stupid weapon tutorial "quests"), get all of the data points/collectibles, and get the platinum. Now I'm just playing through to reexperience the story from the perspective of already knowing all the big reveals.

I'm about 70 hours in and only have a few main missions to go. This game is without a doubt the best game I have ever played in over 35 years of playing them. Fantastic story line, challenging game play, great variety and outstanding graphics, especially on a newer TV. I'm really glad I bought a PS4 to play this title and will definitely be playing it through again.