Author Topic: mustache levels  (Read 56976 times)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
Re: mustache levels
« Reply #150 on: June 23, 2015, 07:30:00 PM »
There could be a special mustache for every 100 that only occurs when you are on the 100 itself. As soon as you do the next post, you are back to where you were. Of course, that would only work for people who savour their posts - not people like forummm or arebelspy who have so many posts in a day that the special mustache level would flash by.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #151 on: June 23, 2015, 07:46:23 PM »
There could be a special mustache for every 100 that only occurs when you are on the 100 itself. As soon as you do the next post, you are back to where you were. Of course, that would only work for people who savour their posts - not people like forummm or arebelspy who have so many posts in a day that the special mustache level would flash by.

Sounds like a lot of work/special coding to set up a pretty niche thing.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #152 on: June 23, 2015, 07:51:27 PM »
It was an idle suggestion. AREBELSPY you are just about at 15000 - are you trying to get there before you take the long walk?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #153 on: June 23, 2015, 07:57:28 PM »
I'm not trying to get anywhere.  I post when I have something to say (which is a lot)--I don't look at post count.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #154 on: June 24, 2015, 08:42:20 AM »
Ahhhh...I'm about to hit 1500 posts and thought I'd get a new luxurious stashe and instead I get nothing! NOTHING! WAH!!! Stomps foot and holds breath until given a new stash or ...something.

Hey, cheer up. Only 1001 more posts to go! ....unless the mods institute more level inflation first....
The full inflation tax is a tyranny of the FEDERAL RESERVE BANKSTERS and it's creeping into our forums because corporations can Citizens United the government.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #155 on: June 24, 2015, 09:32:41 AM »
Ahhhh...I'm about to hit 1500 posts and thought I'd get a new luxurious stashe and instead I get nothing! NOTHING! WAH!!! Stomps foot and holds breath until given a new stash or ...something.

Hey, cheer up. Only 1001 more posts to go! ....unless the mods institute more level inflation first....
The full inflation tax is a tyranny of the FEDERAL RESERVE BANKSTERS and it's creeping into our forums because corporations can Citizens United the government.

Huh??

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #156 on: June 24, 2015, 09:41:56 AM »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #157 on: June 24, 2015, 09:44:59 AM »

Huh??

I see they got to you, too.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #158 on: June 24, 2015, 11:39:44 AM »

Huh??

This is why you have to invest your posts in a good index fund.  The ARS15000, for example, has handily beat inflation since inception.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #159 on: June 24, 2015, 11:48:54 AM »

Huh??

This is why you have to invest your posts in a good index fund.  The ARS15000, for example, has handily beat inflation since inception.

No, the ARS15000 index is not sufficiently diversified.  It is exposed to extreme downside risk, primarily due to the strong possibility that an opportunistic member of the new crop of moderators will delete it entirely when they arrive.  What's the first thing an ambitious new moderator with dreams of becoming the alpha-mod would do?  Eliminate the competition.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #160 on: June 24, 2015, 12:25:41 PM »

Huh??

No, the ARS15000 index is not sufficiently diversified.  It is exposed to extreme downside risk, primarily due to the strong possibility that an opportunistic member of the new crop of moderators will delete it entirely when they arrive.  What's the first thing an ambitious new moderator with dreams of becoming the alpha-mod would do?  Eliminate the competition.

My backtest says it's only gone up. No drawdowns!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #161 on: June 24, 2015, 12:47:56 PM »

Everyone knows you past performance doesn't indicate future results.

What is said manager FIREs?  What if they takes a month long pilgrimage without internet access? 

That lack of diversification will kill you.

Take the Total Post Index, it should go up over time.  Taking the average of everyone's posts is the best way to go.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #162 on: June 24, 2015, 01:06:59 PM »
Take the Total Post Index, it should go up over time.  Taking the average of everyone's posts is the best way to go.

Those who prefer picking individual stocks should look at ticker 4U3M.  It's on track to exceed ARS within a year. ;)

Of course, individual stocks have lost 100% (aka inadvertent self-deletion of account) in the past, so the Total Post Index does seem best.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #163 on: June 24, 2015, 01:51:38 PM »

Hmmm... Think I'll stick with the WMH-index. Passively tracks only the Walrus + Magnum + Handlebar posters.  Sure, you loose out the potential, near-exponential growth of start-up accounts, but since so many of those fail within the first 5 postings I think the sheer volume of the larger posters will make up for it.

Only problem with the WMH is that it's weight-adjusted, so I still feel too heavily exposed to 'Rebs, thegoblinchief & dragoncar.  Posting analysis are already predicting reduced output from 'rebs, so that might be already priced in.  Maybe I'll balance it out with some holdings in the foreign bogleheads posters.  Still - lot of crossover there too.  Hmm...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #164 on: June 24, 2015, 02:02:33 PM »

Hmmm... Think I'll stick with the WMH-index. Passively tracks only the Walrus + Magnum + Handlebar posters.  Sure, you loose out the potential, near-exponential growth of start-up accounts, but since so many of those fail within the first 5 postings I think the sheer volume of the larger posters will make up for it.

Only problem with the WMH is that it's weight-adjusted, so I still feel too heavily exposed to 'Rebs, thegoblinchief & dragoncar.  Posting analysis are already predicting reduced output from 'rebs, so that might be already priced in.  Maybe I'll balance it out with some holdings in the foreign bogleheads posters.  Still - lot of crossover there too.  Hmm...

'Rebs isn't in the WMH index, actually.  Make sure you read the prospectus.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #165 on: June 24, 2015, 02:02:53 PM »
Egads, we're nerds.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 02:04:46 PM by arebelspy »

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #166 on: June 24, 2015, 03:03:34 PM »
What about the moderators index?

Actually the Total posts index may go down (at times when a lot of people join and never post) - has anyone actually tracked its performance?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #167 on: June 24, 2015, 03:49:32 PM »

There's no way the total post index will match inflation.  A fulll 33% of users have zero posts.  Meanwhile, Rebs is 2.1% of the index.  You still have a lot of exposure.  BTFD

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #168 on: June 24, 2015, 05:09:22 PM »

There's no way the total post index will match inflation.  A fulll 33% of users have zero posts.  Meanwhile, Rebs is 2.1% of the index.  You still have a lot of exposure.  BTFD

Since ARS has already announced in public filings that they will be cutting back on production, why hasn't the market responded by lowering the ARS valuation? Could the EMH be wrong?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #169 on: June 24, 2015, 05:13:16 PM »
Everyone knows Bogle just made that up to sell index funds.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #170 on: June 24, 2015, 05:58:58 PM »

Since ARS has already announced in public filings that they will be cutting back on production, why hasn't the market responded by lowering the ARS valuation? Could the EMH be wrong?
Where did the figures come from? And what is the EMH - or is it a misprint of the WMH?

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #171 on: June 24, 2015, 06:05:14 PM »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #172 on: June 24, 2015, 06:12:29 PM »
SMH

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #173 on: June 24, 2015, 06:21:11 PM »
who's still glad solon started this thread? anyone?  anyone...?  Bueller...?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #174 on: June 24, 2015, 08:38:42 PM »

I'm still surprised, even after my warning people to read the prospectus, the rumor persists that rebs is included in the WMH index, to the point that dragoncar thinks nereo is overweight in rebes, when actually he has zero exposure.

And forum posts are hardly an efficient market.  I have my connection closer to the source, so I can post 0.0001ms faster, thus I can flash post and front run other people's answers.  Don't forget that--as a mod--I have access to hidden sections of the forum for insider posting, as well.  It's a rigged game.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 08:41:45 PM by arebelspy »

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #175 on: June 24, 2015, 09:19:41 PM »
Anyone backing the small caps - Mr_Orange, BrackenJoy and Vikb?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #176 on: June 24, 2015, 10:37:06 PM »

I'm still surprised, even after my warning people to read the prospectus, the rumor persists that rebs is included in the WMH index, to the point that dragoncar thinks nereo is overweight in rebes, when actually he has zero exposure.

And forum posts are hardly an efficient market.  I have my connection closer to the source, so I can post 0.0001ms faster, thus I can flash post and front run other people's answers.  Don't forget that--as a mod--I have access to hidden sections of the forum for insider posting, as well.  It's a rigged game.

I said "total post index", not WMH.  Honestly, if you're not going to pay attention, there's no point to even having this discussion.  Some people are trying to better themselves with their post allocations, and here you are posting absolute nonsense.

Fair enough; I read your final sentence as a reply to nereo, whose post you were quoting, about the WMH index.  :)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #177 on: June 25, 2015, 12:28:52 AM »
Fair enough; I read your final sentence as a reply to nereo, whose post you were quoting, about the WMH index.  :)

Read what I say, not what I quote.  Honestly, sometimes I doubt your commitment to sparkle motion.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #178 on: June 25, 2015, 05:12:37 AM »
I said "total post index", not WMH.  Honestly, if you're not going to pay attention, there's no point to even having this discussion.  Some people are trying to better themselves with their post allocations, and here you are posting absolute nonsense.

Why doesn't the bolded post appear in the body of the thread?  Did dragoncar delete it?  Is this smoking-gun evidence of market manipulation in action?

Honestly, sometimes I doubt your commitment to sparkle motion.

Anyone participating in this thread's unbridled nerd-fest has demonstrated unconditional, Jonestown-level commitment to sparkle motion.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #179 on: June 25, 2015, 08:52:08 AM »

Why doesn't the bolded post appear in the body of the thread?  Did dragoncar delete it?  Is this smoking-gun evidence of market manipulation in action?

Anyone participating in this thread's unbridled nerd-fest has demonstrated unconditional, Jonestown-level commitment to sparkle motion.

While some of us who aren't quite all in are merely giggling on the sidelines. Guess that means I'm only in Bree, not the shire.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #180 on: June 25, 2015, 12:12:39 PM »

I didn't delete it, but there's always counterparty risk when quoting other posts

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #181 on: June 25, 2015, 12:16:25 PM »
Yes, you caught me red-handed -- I deleted it in a calculated attempt to manipulate the posting market for my own personal gain.

I knew it!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #182 on: June 25, 2015, 07:19:13 PM »
Yes, you caught me red-handed -- I deleted it in a calculated attempt to manipulate the posting market for my own personal gain.

I knew it!

Hah.  Well played.

Now I don't know what to believe.

I nominate CheddarStacker for a full blown audit of this thread!  Or Larry Constanza, he seems like a stand up guy.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #183 on: June 25, 2015, 08:30:55 PM »

I knew it!

Hah.  Well played.

Now I don't know what to believe.

I nominate CheddarStacker for a full blown audit of this thread!  Or Larry Constanza, he seems like a stand up guy.

Oh I already did a full scale audit on these missing comments. It's just my nature. It confused the hell out of me until I figured out what BNY did there. And I agree, well played. The best part is I've seen Dragoncar preach about how he never refers to a post anymore without quoting it since people can delete comments and ruin the flow. Good stuff.