Author Topic: mustache levels  (Read 56873 times)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
Re: mustache levels
« Reply #100 on: June 01, 2015, 02:23:54 PM »
Posting to find out what my status is ;)

Or should I say.... :{o

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #101 on: June 01, 2015, 02:23:57 PM »
Might as well make this the place for my 2500th post.  Gotta check to see if can level-up my Mustache...

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #102 on: June 01, 2015, 04:24:55 PM »
Seems like I started becoming more active on the forum at just the right time...

Right.

Cause your MMM-stache level is quite important.

Make sure you update your resume.

:)

Now I need an alternate account with few posts, so it looks like I'm a diligent worker with no time for retirement fantasy

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: June 01, 2015, 05:25:32 PM »
Now I need an alternate account with few posts, so it looks like I'm a diligent worker with no time for retirement fantasy

That's precisely why I try to be somewhat judicious in my posting.  If all goes well my current job will be my last, but if I do ever find myself seeking employment again I don't want "Walrus" plastered on my resume (the Q*Bert and Frogger high scores already on there make a bad enough impression as it is).  I feel like the thousand post count level is a firm psychological barrier.  Now that I just wasted my penultimate sub-Handlebar post with this inane drivel, I will have to ration my remaining one carefully.  Maybe I should mysteriously disappear for a while like Rebs on the eve of his 10,000th post.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #104 on: June 01, 2015, 05:58:39 PM »

That's precisely why I try to be somewhat judicious in my posting.  If all goes well my current job will be my last, but if I do ever find myself seeking employment again I don't want "Walrus" plastered on my resume (the Q*Bert and Frogger high scores already on there make a bad enough impression as it is). I feel like the thousand post count level is a firm psychological barrier.  Now that I just wasted my penultimate sub-Handlebar post with this inane drivel, I will have to ration my remaining one carefully.  Maybe I should mysteriously disappear for a while like Rebs on the eve of his 10,000th post.
... does this mean we'll only see one more post from you for a long, long time?

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #105 on: June 01, 2015, 06:31:56 PM »

That's precisely why I try to be somewhat judicious in my posting.  If all goes well my current job will be my last, but if I do ever find myself seeking employment again I don't want "Walrus" plastered on my resume (the Q*Bert and Frogger high scores already on there make a bad enough impression as it is).  I feel like the thousand post count level is a firm psychological barrier.  Now that I just wasted my penultimate sub-Handlebar post with this inane drivel, I will have to ration my remaining one carefully.  Maybe I should mysteriously disappear for a while like Rebs on the eve of his 10,000th post.

NO! I like your posts too much. Maybe go back and delete some of the old ones so you can stay in 998 stasis.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: June 01, 2015, 09:05:50 PM »

Do I detect a trace of hopefulness in the question?

Doh!  Now I used up my last post.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: June 01, 2015, 09:49:12 PM »

I'm guessing there's no walrus level.  Whatever was chosen doesn't strictly adhere to the list above, as I just moved from Handlebar at 2499 to Magnum at 2500.  I'm sure that'll make you feel better about playing so much Q-Bert.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #108 on: June 01, 2015, 10:55:45 PM »

I'm guessing there's no walrus level.  Whatever was chosen doesn't strictly adhere to the list above, as I just moved from Handlebar at 2499 to Magnum at 2500.  I'm sure that'll make you feel better about playing so much Q-Bert.

The first rule of Walrus level is there is no Walrus level.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #109 on: June 02, 2015, 07:23:08 AM »

Do I detect a trace of hopefulness in the question?

Doh!  Now I used up my last post.

And now you're over the cliff!

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: June 02, 2015, 08:05:49 AM »
And now you're over the cliff!

Yeah, my willpower lasted all of nine hours (during eight of which I was asleep).  My name is brooklynguy, and I am a forum addict...

I guess that means if my retirement goes to shit (or if I lose my current job before my retirement commences, which, ironically, I believe is most likely to happen as a result of my forum addiction), my future job prospects will just have to be limited to employers who do not mind seeing "Handlebar Stache" on my resume.

Cathy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: June 02, 2015, 08:17:14 AM »
...or if I lose my current job before my retirement commences, which, ironically, I believe is most likely to happen as a result of my forum addiction...

If you lack the willpower to moderate your forum posting at work, you could try setting your password to a unique random value that is not human-memorable (which is what you should really be doing for every password anyway). Then, only store the password at home and don't bring it with you to work, and you won't be able to log in at work.

Losing your job might not be so bad. Finding new employment is inconvenient but it could be an opportunity to find higher paying employment and shave another year off your accumulation phase.

Mustachians are probably worse employees on the whole. For the consumer suckers who live paycheck-to-paycheck or have minimal savings, they desperately need to keep their job, so they have no choice but to give it their all. But Mustachians are sitting on tons of assets so the stakes are much lower. This is one more reason not to let on that you are wealthy.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 08:27:40 AM by Cathy »

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: June 02, 2015, 08:36:58 AM »
If you lack the willpower to moderate your forum posting at work, you could try setting your password to a unique random value that is not human-memorable (which is what you should really be doing for every password anyway). Then, only store the password at home and don't bring it with you to work, and you won't be able to log in at work.

That's like telling an alcoholic to just lock the liquor cabinet and throw away the key!  Easier said than done...

Losing your job might not be so bad. Finding new employment is inconvenient but it could be an opportunity to find higher paying employment and shave another year off your accumulation phase.

A few years ago I already consciously decided to transition to a lower paying position with better work/like balance at the cost of delaying financial independence.  But generally speaking I agree with this, as well as your point about mustachians probably being worse employees on the whole.  We're not the indentured corporate servants that our system was designed to create.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #113 on: June 02, 2015, 08:51:27 AM »
I think mustachians are better employees on average. I think on average we're more intelligent, more go-getting, and know how to get things done. It takes some effort and intelligence and diligence to become a millionaire in your 30's. And I think we generally have a good work ethic. MMM still builds houses and stuff even though he's easily worth several million bucks now. On retiring, I think many of us will just be doing different work. People post here about what their retirement jobs should be.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2015, 09:08:44 AM »
I think mustachians are better employees on average.

Yeah, we're just less dependent employees, which I think is what Cathy was getting at.  Most of our employers would probably prefer it if we had all the qualities you described but lived paycheck to paycheck like the typical consumer sucka, because it would shift the bargaining power in their favor.  If I didn't have a decade of living expenses stashed away, I'd probably be less inclined to participate in the forum on company time (or maybe not, but you get the point).

Just to be clear (especially for any of my corporate overlords who happen to be reading this!), I'm mostly joking about all this.  I take my commitments (including work commitments) seriously, and don't let my internet activity interfere with them - my job involves a considerable amount of downtime, and I think it is consistent with internet fair use policies to spend that time posting here.

MikeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2015, 10:16:45 AM »
Is it too late to suggest a "Lanny (McDonald)" level that gets applied to all Canadian members regardless of the post total?

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: June 02, 2015, 10:27:05 AM »
Is it too late to suggest a "Lanny (McDonald)" level that gets applied to all Canadian members regardless of the post total?

Take off hoser.

That could be fun if each country names their own levels, but likely very difficult to setup.

MikeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2015, 10:41:03 AM »

Take off hoser.

That could be fun if each country names their own levels, but likely very difficult to setup.

:)

You could probably filter by IP address (or whatever other mechanism they use for geoblocking us from Hulu, etc) but my suggestion was basically just an excuse to post a picture of Lanny McDonald's mustache rather than a serious request.

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #118 on: June 03, 2015, 09:22:01 AM »
Not digging the new mustache levels. Can we go back to the old ones?

second !

I just made handlebar about a week ago and now I'm back to STUBBLE !

Not a happy cougar now, whoever did this; don't go biking in Houston or you may be my next lunch !

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #119 on: June 03, 2015, 10:21:58 AM »

second !

Not a happy cougar now, whoever did this; don't go biking in Houston or you may be my next lunch !

They stache levels have been altered.  Pray that they are not altered any further.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #120 on: June 03, 2015, 10:24:27 AM »

second !

this is exactly why I do like the new mustache levels.  Cougar, with all due respect, you've been posting for less than two weeks!  You've made 100-and-change posts.  I've seen dragoncar make about as many posts in two days, sometimes arguing for and against himself simultaneously.
Stick around and you'll grow that 'stach soon enough... but IMO a person who's been here just a couple of weeks should be 'stubble'.  I certainly don't consider myself to be 'senior' yet, even though I formerly held that rank.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #121 on: June 03, 2015, 10:29:20 AM »
This demotion is brutal. Typical 1%er move, not thinking about the rest of us just trying to get by and afford a normal middle class forum life.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #122 on: June 03, 2015, 10:32:18 AM »
When I first arrived here I thought I'd never even reach 100 posts; didn't think I had enough meaningful thoughts to contribute. I really thought the stache levels were cool, and something that would make people respect/listen to me if I posted often enough. Now I've grown to not even look at them. There are people who arrive here and have knowledgeable, well spoken, and convincing arguments from post 1. For me, the mustache level has become irrelevant. It's a "Judge a book by it's cover" sort of label. Just beware, you might miss something pretty damn good if you skim over someone because their label is "stubble" or "pencil".

But I do love all this debate. Pretty damn funny whether intentional or not.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2015, 10:43:10 AM »
When I first arrived here I thought I'd never even reach 100 posts; didn't think I had enough meaningful thoughts to contribute. I really thought the stache levels were cool, and something that would make people respect/listen to me if I posted often enough. Now I've grown to not even look at them. There are people who arrive here and have knowledgeable, well spoken, and convincing arguments from post 1. For me, the mustache level has become irrelevant. It's a "Judge a book by it's cover" sort of label. Just beware, you might miss something pretty damn good if you skim over someone because their label is "stubble" or "pencil".

As a fellow Magnum, I can agree with this.  It's not that special.  So no point in the rest of you trying to reach this level.  Move along.  Nothing to see here.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2015, 10:44:29 AM »

As a fellow Magnum, I can agree with this.  It's not that special.  So no point in the rest of you trying to reach this level.  Move along.  Nothing to see here.

Yep, I'm usually full of shit, and there is definitely no complimentary pony when you get to Magnum. /wink

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #125 on: June 03, 2015, 11:07:12 AM »

Yep, I'm usually full of shit, and there is definitely no complimentary pony when you get to Magnum. /wink

Complementary condom at Magnum is more fitting.

Or, what would appear to be a condom, but much more fitting for a Mustachian.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #126 on: June 03, 2015, 11:11:10 AM »

Complementary condom at Magnum is more fitting.

Or, what would appear to be a condom, but much more fitting for a Mustachian.

Or...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #127 on: June 03, 2015, 11:24:36 AM »
This demotion is brutal. Typical 1%er move, not thinking about the rest of us just trying to get by and afford a normal middle class forum life.

Hey, don't lump me in with ARS!  It's really the .1% who are making 99% of the post gains.  In the last few months, I've gone from maybe 4500 to 5000 and change.  ARS has gone from maybe 12k to 14k!  I may have a high post count, but I will never be the true forum elite.

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #128 on: June 03, 2015, 11:24:55 AM »

second !

They stache levels have been altered.  Pray that they are not altered any further.

Careful now.

Since it has gotten warmer, all sorts of bugs have decided that it would be better for them to live inside my house rather than outside and I have killed every one found; sometimes in agonizing ways. Don't not think I cannot perform the same act on human sized bugs.  ;)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #129 on: June 03, 2015, 11:28:13 AM »

Careful now.

Since it has gotten warmer, all sorts of bugs have decided that it would be better for them to live inside my house rather than outside and I have killed every one found; sometimes in agonizing ways. Don't not think I cannot perform the same act on human sized bugs.  ;)
awww... poor little kitty's all angry.  quick, someone throw him/her a catnip mouse!

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #130 on: June 03, 2015, 12:15:36 PM »

Careful now.

awww... poor little kitty's all angry.  quick, someone throw him/her a catnip mouse!

Thanks, but I'm all set there; I call my catnip Siglo cigars and Weihenstephaner beer. They make the worst day bearable and even forgettable if you can drink them fast enough.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: June 03, 2015, 12:16:05 PM »
I really thought the stache levels were cool

That's funny - I thought the opposite.  I spent a long time as a periodic lurker thinking "who are all these people with nothing better to do with their time than spend all day participating in this forum?" (while at the same time being grateful for their existence and willingness to share their deep knowledge base for the rest of us to exploit).  Now I've turned into one of them.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #132 on: June 03, 2015, 12:52:26 PM »

That's funny - I thought the opposite.  I spent a long time as a periodic lurker thinking "who are all these people with nothing better to do with their time than spend all day participating in this forum?" (while at the same time being grateful for their existence and willingness to share their deep knowledge base for the rest of us to exploit).  Now I've turned into one of them.

ONE OF US!  ONE OF US!

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #133 on: June 03, 2015, 01:59:50 PM »

You were one of the people I was referring to in "good from post 1" camp. So thanks for becoming one of us, I appreciate the viewpoint you provide.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: June 03, 2015, 02:09:29 PM »
They accept me, they accept me!  Gooba-gobble, gooba-gobble.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #135 on: June 03, 2015, 02:50:11 PM »

Hey, don't lump me in with ARS!  It's really the .1% who are making 99% of the post gains.  In the last few months, I've gone from maybe 4500 to 5000 and change.  ARS has gone from maybe 12k to 14k!  I may have a high post count, but I will never be the true forum elite.
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/mlist/?sort=posts;start=0;desc for those curious to see exactly how bad inequality has become under the ARS administration. Why buzzfeed and Elizabeth Warren aren't on the case is beyond me.

Dragoncar and ARS have their own custom categories with exactly one member in it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #136 on: June 03, 2015, 02:58:09 PM »
And the worst part is they've already admitted that just when you reach there, they'll change the rules again:
High limits so it'll be good for a few years.  Bump again in 2019.  :)

...and the rich get richer!

(FWIW, I'm with the people who basically never paid any attention to the Mustache levels.  But since some care about it, might as well give them something to shoot for. :) )

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #137 on: June 03, 2015, 03:51:54 PM »
next to level-up... MDM! MDM! MDM!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #138 on: June 11, 2015, 09:46:11 AM »
OK - I have looked up the names
Five o'clock shadow........1
Stubble.........................50
Bristles.........................100
Pencil...........................250
Swashbucking/ Flynn......500
Magnum.......................1000
Handlebar.....................2500
Walrus..........................5000
Gengis Khan................10000

We ended pretty close to this.

High limits so it'll be good for a few years.  Bump again in 2019.  :)
Here I go away for a couple of months, only to come back to find that MY SUGGESTION HAS BEEN RATIFIED -

WOW!!!!

And to top it off, somehow I was only a couple of posts from a level up!

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #139 on: June 11, 2015, 02:14:20 PM »
I was super-bummed to see the levels had been changed, as I had JUST gotten my "senior mustachian" level.

Oh, well… I guess now I have some more goals to shoot for.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #140 on: June 11, 2015, 06:54:15 PM »
Care to add Nipple Hair Mustache to the levels?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #141 on: June 11, 2015, 07:10:23 PM »

only 'Rebs deserves that kind of honor...

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #142 on: June 12, 2015, 07:52:02 AM »

The problem with that term is that, without the accompanying photo (which is awesome!), I think most people would assume it refers to a completely hairless, rock-bottom mustache level, below Clean Shaven (which would mean < 0 posts).  Maybe we can reserve it for posters who have been banned?  Then the mods can issue warnings like "Hey so-and-so, better start respecting the forum rules or we'll rip off that peach fuzz and downgrade you to nipple hair!"

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #143 on: June 21, 2015, 03:27:17 PM »

Hey, I'm back where I was like 2200 posts ago...

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #144 on: June 21, 2015, 03:35:40 PM »

And you haven't aged a bit!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #145 on: June 21, 2015, 04:46:10 PM »

And you haven't aged a bit!

That's actually shockingly true! 70!
http://urbanmoustache.com/tom-selleck-moustache-turn-70/

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #146 on: June 21, 2015, 05:15:32 PM »
Looks like a narrower mustache - has your stash shrunk?

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #147 on: June 21, 2015, 06:26:51 PM »

Definitely a higher forehead, so as a percent of total face, it is likely less.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #148 on: June 21, 2015, 07:55:32 PM »

Er, I did have to pay for that Ferrari...

Definitely a higher forehead, so as a percent of total face, it is likely less.

It's just the Botox that makes it look that way. I mean I'm 70, OK, and I don't look a day over 35. Gimme a break!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #149 on: June 23, 2015, 07:25:06 PM »
Ahhhh...I'm about to hit 1500 posts and thought I'd get a new luxurious stashe and instead I get nothing! NOTHING! WAH!!! Stomps foot and holds breath until given a new stash or ...something.

Hey, cheer up. Only 1001 more posts to go! ....unless the mods institute more level inflation first....