Author Topic: Misconceptions people have that you'd like to correct.  (Read 36447 times)

Rimu05

• Bristles
Misconceptions people have that you'd like to correct.
« on: October 09, 2017, 10:35:51 PM »
While this could be anything. I just want people to know that

1.) The monster in Frankenstein is not called Frankenstein. He is created by Victor Frankenstein.

2.) Robert Frost's The Road Not Taken is actually a very cynical poem. Those two roads are exactly the same but yet he still almost chooses to deceive himself knowing that. (My basic interpretation but pretty sure there's no difference in those roads, yet he still muses that the road he travelled was the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference.) On that note, read that poem when I was in middle school and still remember it.

3.) Elton John's sacrifice is not about making sacrifices. It's about a couple whose relationship has grown so distant that in letting it go, they are making no sacrifices. (I mean the chorus says it all "It's no sacrifice just a simple word, it's two hearts living, in two separate worlds." I was at karaoke and the host sang it and talked about how we should make sacrifices for the relationship to last and it took all of my miss know it all self to not yell out, "ACTUALLY..."

4.)As a rule of thumb, there are very few African countries that have the country name as also the name of the language (Like say with Europe, you'll see, England - English, Germany - German). I at the moment cannot think of any African country that has that. Heck, pretty sure no African country has this. So don't ask someone if they speak South African, Ghanaian, Nigerian...Those are forgivable though, just don't ask if I speak African...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 10:37:46 PM by Rimu05 »

FINate

• Magnum Stache
Re: Misconceptions people have that you'd like to correct.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 11:00:43 PM »
1) I often hear people misquote the Bible as saying "Money is the root of all evil" as if money itself is evil, yet the actual verse is "The love of money is a root of all kinds of evil"

2) People love to take Phil 4:13 totally out of context and choose translations that can be interpreted as a message of personal empowerment  ("I can do all things through him who strengthens me." ESV) and then splash this over inspirational images. In context, and looking at the original Greek, the more accurate translation is "I can do all this through him who gives me strength" (NIV) - where "all this" refers to Paul being content in all situations despite being jailed, hungry, and whatnot. It's not about personal empowerment, it's really about being content even in the face of adversity.

I could go on, but will stop there.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 02:03:32 AM »
"I Will Always Love You" is about breaking up. Do not have it as the first dance at your wedding.

Rightflyer

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 03:03:59 AM »
When an aeroplane "stalls", it is not the engine(s) that are stalling... it is the wing.

(I often hear this misinterpreted in the mainstream media when reporting on accidents.)

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 09:11:32 AM »
The scientific method does not 'prove' things to be 'absolutely true'.  It can absolutely disprove things, and thus narrow the range of possible explanatory mechanisms, hypotheses, etc., until such time as a provisional 'truth' is reached.  But all 'facts' in science must necessarily remain provisional in theory, if usually not in practice. This is a feature, not a bug. And it is also the reason reputable scientists almost always talk in terms of statistical probabilities, thus frustrating all laypeople who seem to not understand how the scientific method works.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 09:33:09 AM »
The scientific method does not 'prove' things to be 'absolutely true'.  It can absolutely disprove things, and thus narrow the range of possible explanatory mechanisms, hypotheses, etc., until such time as a provisional 'truth' is reached.  But all 'facts' in science must necessarily remain provisional in theory, if usually not in practice. This is a feature, not a bug. And it is also the reason reputable scientists almost always talk in terms of statistical probabilities, thus frustrating all laypeople who seem to not understand how the scientific method works.

In a similar vein . . .

There doesn't exist a conspiracy among scientists to promote climate change.  It's simply the theory that best fits the available facts.  The amount of prestige and cash that would immediately come to anyone able to find an explanation that better fits the facts than climate change would be tremendously professionally and monetarily rewarding to any scientist would could prove it - there's actually huge incentive to not go with the consensus.

bwall

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 09:39:06 AM »
When an aeroplane "stalls", it is not the engine(s) that are stalling... it is the wing.

(I often hear this misinterpreted in the mainstream media when reporting on accidents.)

hmmm.... help me understand how it's the wing that has stalled and not the engine. Engines stall all the time, don't they? An airplane wing, by definition, is still functioning as intended unless it has failed.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 10:01:37 AM »

hmmm.... help me understand how it's the wing that has stalled and not the engine. Engines stall all the time, don't they? An airplane wing, by definition, is still functioning as intended unless it has failed.

A stall is the reduction of lift coefficient caused by a foil as angle of attack increases.  The engine's still running, but the wing isn't generating lift.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 10:11:11 AM »

A wing needs air to move over it in a certain way in order to function properly. The forces only work properly in certain dimensions, therefore, if the wind isn't moving over the wing as designed, the wing cannot create the forces that keep a plane in the air.

bwall

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 10:14:45 AM »

A stall is the reduction of lift coefficient caused by a foil as angle of attack increases.  The engine's still running, but the wing isn't generating lift.

Clearly you can see that I've never flown anything. I always thought that a stalled engine was just that--one that stopped running.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 10:16:57 AM »

Clearly you can see that I've never flown anything. I always thought that a stalled engine was just that--one that stopped running.

I've never flown anything either . . . but my job for the first four years out of university was to build flight simulators for the US military.  I know just enough to take off in an F-18, or crash a helicopter.  :P

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 10:35:48 AM »

Speaking of frustrating laypeople, and most journalists reporting on science: correlation does not mean causation.

bwall

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 11:11:53 AM »
When people say 'hot water heater' instead of 'water heater'.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 11:17:28 AM »
Engines can and do stall, fail or otherwise cease to apply thrust to the airframe.  My favorite engine malfunction in the simulator is "Engine Separation".  There is a reason pilots train this scenario :-)  Both engine failures and aerodynamic stalls can be non-events or catastrophic.

As far as misconceptions go: it would be that airline pilots have any clue what an aerodynamic stall is or how to recover from one.

"correlation does not mean causation", yeah and try explaining how you can have causation without correlation.  That is a time lag or phase difference can remove or hide a correlation yet there was still cause-effect.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 11:22:59 AM »
1. When you take an azimuth or an amplitude you are not "correcting the gyro." You're not correcting anything! You're finding the gyro error, so you can correct for the error when taking line of position.

2. "I'll Be Watching You" by The Police is about stalking, not love. Stop playing it as a love song, because that's hella creepy.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 11:31:14 AM »
2. "I'll Be Watching You" by The Police is about stalking, not love. Stop playing it as a love song, because that's hella creepy.

Sting has said this over and over - too bad people don't pay attention.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 04:45:42 PM »
Regarding bones, there is no difference between a break and a fracture.

woopwoop

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 05:45:39 PM »
1.) The monster in Frankenstein is not called Frankenstein. He is created by Victor Frankenstein.
"Knowledge is knowing Frankenstein is not the monster. Wisdom is knowing that Frankenstein is the monster."

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 06:37:52 PM »
"Knowledge is knowing Frankenstein is not the monster. Wisdom is knowing that Frankenstein is the monster."

You put quotes, so I suppose that should be attributed? Either way, I like it :)

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 07:17:42 PM »
Being in "shock," in medical terms, is when the body isn't getting enough blood flow. There are a few reasons this can happen, such as sepsis, but being stunned after an event is not one of them, despite media accounts.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 07:25:48 PM »
Being in "shock," in medical terms, is when the body isn't getting enough blood flow. There are a few reasons this can happen, such as sepsis, but being stunned after an event is not one of them, despite media accounts.

Bullshit. Witnessing trauma can most definitely induce medical shock, dilated eyes, cold, clammy skin and all.

I mean, I have been there done that, but perhaps there is a different medical school definition of shock than the one we watch out for as first responders (not a trained first responder, but trained by and work with many who use this definition and have had patients die)?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 07:33:19 PM by ixtap »

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 08:41:59 PM »

That would be "Every Breath You Take" rather than "I'll be watching you," which is a lyric in the song. This message has been brought to you by your anal retentive song name misconception correction service.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 08:46:14 PM »
Roadrunners aren’t actually blue like in the cartoons.

As far as misconceptions go: it would be that airline pilots have any clue what an aerodynamic stall is or how to recover from one.

Them’s fightin words!!

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 08:56:47 PM »
1) I often hear people misquote the Bible as saying "Money is the root of all evil" as if money itself is evil, yet the actual verse is "The love of money is a root of all kinds of evil"

Similarly, a lot of people think the saying, "God helps those who helps themselves" comes from the Bible, but it doesn't.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 08:59:20 PM »

Similarly, a lot of people think the saying, "God helps those who helps themselves" comes from the Bible, but it doesn't.
That sounds more like a Ben Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac thing.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 09:05:18 PM »

That would be "Every Breath You Take" rather than "I'll be watching you," which is a lyric in the song. This message has been brought to you by your anal retentive song name misconception correction service.
"I Will Always Love You" is about breaking up. Do not have it as the first dance at your wedding.

Some of the best sounding songs end up being break-up songs.  Some of them rather soul-crushing break-ups at that.

Speaking of frustrating laypeople, and most journalists reporting on science: correlation does not mean causation.

Reporters making headlines out of one bit of barely-verified info/discovery from a multi-year scientific project.  I always end up having to correct people with "The scientists didn't say that. They said 10,000 other words in a document meant for a like-minded audience with a lot of caveats and reporters latched onto 20 of them."

I don't want to recruit into the Army your maladjusted teenager who enjoys bullying others and thinks killing sounds like fun.  That's actually the last person I want to give that much power and responsibility to.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 09:07:32 PM »
1. Drowning often doesn't look like drowning. It isn't the splashing, yelling, dramatic scene shown in movies. It is often quiet and still and easy to miss- a lot more lives could be saved if people realized this, and accordingly realized you need to keep a close eye on swimmers (especially kids).

2. Labor is not at all like it's shown in popular media. Your water doesn't always break on its own, and it usually is NOT the first sign of labor- contractions tend to precede this for a while. And especially for first time mothers, labor takes a looooooong time compared to what people "expect".

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 09:34:38 PM »
I don't have anything to add atm but I'm posting to follow.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2017, 09:36:21 PM »

Touché, DoubleDown. Hoisted on my own damn petard!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2017, 10:58:50 PM »

Similarly, Marc Cohn's song "True Companion" is creepycreepycreepy (at least if you look at it in one direction). Please, don't sing it at weddings even if it's a musically lovely song in your range. (OK, this might just be what I'm hearing.)

"YMCA" totally cracks me up at wedding receptions, especially when grandparents are dancing to it and singing along. I conclude that people don't actually listen to song lyrics, because "Random Gay Sex Hookups in NY!"

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2017, 12:32:08 AM »
That god awful, annoying song “isn’t she lovely” that they always play on cruise ships is about a newborn, not a lady.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2017, 12:44:06 AM »
Explosions in space don't make a noise.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2017, 02:11:50 AM »
Quote from: jeninco link=topic=80072.msg1728183#msg1728183

"YMCA" totally cracks me up at wedding receptions, especially when grandparents are dancing to it and singing along. I conclude that people don't actually listen to song lyrics, because "Random Gay Sex Hookups in NY!"

I'm with you on the more appropriate song title, but the lyrics really aren't *that* explicit. I can totally sympathise with Granny just thinking it's nice they made such a catchy song about staying at a youth hostel. "I will always love you", on the other hand, begins with "If I should stay, I would only be in your way". HOW is that appropriate for a wedding?!

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2017, 06:10:01 AM »
At some point years ago I realized that if I ever wanted to have an important song played in public I would have to read the lyrics and see what singers had to say about it; WAAAY to many songs have less well known meanings. 

So I totally need a few more cups of coffee because I thought jeninco was saying "Random Gay Sex Hookups in NY!" was a lyric and had to go read them to see how I missed it.  "Random Gay Sex Hookups in NY!" is not a quote from YMCA :-)  That is what half the sound is code for but still...

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2017, 06:30:16 AM »
OK, so since we are talking about not getting song lyrics, I see your Village People and raise you "One Toke Over the Line" on the Lawrence Welk Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8tdmaEhMHE

You're welcome.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2017, 07:26:01 AM »
Wikipedia has a whole list of common misconceptions. Fun read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_misconceptions

Milkshake

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2017, 07:46:54 AM »
Wikipedia has a whole list of common misconceptions. Fun read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_misconceptions
What a hero! Look what I'm reading all day at work today...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2017, 07:54:05 AM »
"Excuse me, while I kiss this guy" - Jimi Hendrix

"Hold me closer, Tony Danza" - Elton John

"Then I saw her face, now I'm gonna leave her" - The Monkees

Not the original lyrics . . . but they should be.

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2017, 07:57:38 AM »
ALDI'S

ALDI

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2017, 07:59:34 AM »

Also, "It's not the side effects of the cooking; I'm thinking that it must be love!" - Bowie

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2017, 10:17:23 AM »
This is a minor one, but it has always bugged me...the quotation "Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History" which often appears on feminist t-shirts was not meant by its author, the historian Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, to be a call to arms for women to change the world by challenging societal norms. She was making the observation that women are very difficult to find in the written record of early America, and one of the few types of surviving documentary sources relating to them are court records--ie, reflecting the women who acted out (or were acted against). So she was literally saying that the "good girls" who followed the rules and lived quiet lives are the ones who are most difficult to study, even though they represented the majority of women.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2017, 10:34:23 AM »
Common knowledge. It's exactly that - common. Not necessarily correct.

Definition and correct use of science.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2017, 11:11:26 AM »
PCV Valve(what do you think the V means) ATM Machine...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2017, 11:13:37 AM »
PCV Valve(what do you think the V means) ATM Machine...

You have to type in your PIN number when you use an ATM machine.  :P

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2017, 11:17:56 AM »
That's there's any correlation between economic growth and stock market returns.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2017, 11:22:34 AM »

And don't forget:

"Don't go 'round tonight, it's bound to take your life, there's a bathroom on the right" -- CCR via my SIL

"Joy to the fishes in the deep blue sea, joy to U.S.C." -- Three Dog Night, via my 5-yr-old self

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2017, 11:26:58 AM »
"Luke I am your Father"  One of the most misquoted lines in a movie, ever.

Darth Vader: Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father.
Luke Skywalker: He told me enough! He told me you killed him!
Darth Vader: No. I am your father.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2017, 11:28:16 AM »
For those looking for a mis-quoted-song-lyrics Christmas gift:

https://mwmade.com/collections/mistaken-lyrics

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2017, 11:34:11 AM »
"Searing" meat does not seal in juices.

Wet-cooking meat does not mean it will stay moist.

There is no such thing as a sugar high.

Being an economist does not mean being able to tell the economic future.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2017, 11:45:39 AM »

Bullshit. Witnessing trauma can most definitely induce medical shock, dilated eyes, cold, clammy skin and all.

I mean, I have been there done that, but perhaps there is a different medical school definition of shock than the one we watch out for as first responders (not a trained first responder, but trained by and work with many who use this definition and have had patients die)?

When I was a first responder, we learned about "shock" as a loss of blood, usually due to injury.

You've had patients die from being stunned due to seeing a traumatic event? That was probably due to adrenaline to an already damaged heart causing...loss of blood flow. So, yeah, it can happen but this is shock:

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000039.htm
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/shock

The dictionary definition is https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/shock, which is maybe what the media means.

Though this is kinda like arguing about 1999 not being the last year of the millennium. :)