Author Topic: Minneapolis Super Bowl Report  (Read 8271 times)

accolay

• Pencil Stache
Minneapolis Super Bowl Report
« on: January 30, 2018, 08:25:54 AM »
Thesis Statement: The Super Bowl and NFL can suck my balls.

Working anywhere close to the Minneapolis stadium is hell for the next week. They've shut down a significant portion of my bike lane.

I wouldn't have a problem if owners and the NFL actually paid for everything, but we all know that's not happening.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
Re: Minneapolis Super Bowl Report
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 08:32:48 AM »
So make some money off the situation?  I'll bet there's hundreds of ways to cash in on the influx or NFL fans.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 08:38:16 AM »
I’m so glad I live in St. Paul. Not going anywhere near Minneapolis until this is all over.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 09:06:07 AM »
So make some money off the situation?  I'll bet there's hundreds of ways to cash in on the influx or NFL fans.
I hear AirBNB-ing your house for $2000/night and going on a vacation is the way to go.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 09:14:00 AM »
Sounds terrible. We'll be thinking of you while watching the game as we drink Pepsi and eat Avocados from Mexico.

Dilly dilly.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 09:23:34 AM »
Sounds terrible. We'll be thinking of you while watching the game as we drink Pepsi and eat Avocados from Mexico.

Dilly dilly.

Does anyone DVR the super bowl to fast forward commercials? I honestly forgot that commercials were a big part of super bowl viewing until this comment reminded me.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 09:29:31 AM »

Dilly dilly.

Does anyone DVR the super bowl to fast forward commercials? I honestly forgot that commercials were a big part of super bowl viewing until this comment reminded me.
I used to smugly watch it solely "for the commercials" years ago, but then I realized you can just watch the best ones the next day on YouTube and that only takes a few minutes.

EDIT: I may have read your comment backwards.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 09:42:49 AM by ketchup »

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 09:40:25 AM »

Nope, we're in it for both the game (Go Eagles!) and the commercials.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 09:57:12 AM »

Nope, we're in it for both the game (Go Eagles!) and the commercials.

+1 for the Eagles and commercials. Not really a fan of the halftime show though.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 10:31:38 AM »
I hear AirBNB-ing your house for $2000/night and going on a vacation is the way to go.

I used to live in Augusta, GA. This is how many of the locals handled The Master's. Rent out your house for $4000 for the week, and use the money to take a vacation.

newgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 11:35:03 AM »
I live in the west suburbs of Minneapolis and the goddamn fucking helicopters are ALL THE WAY OUT HERE too. There have been at least 20 patrols today flying right over my apartment. AND ITS NOT EVEN GAME DAY YET.

I despise the new stadium too. So I've pretty much just been walking around in a low level state of pissed off all week.

omachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 12:47:01 PM »
I live in the west suburbs of Minneapolis and the goddamn fucking helicopters are ALL THE WAY OUT HERE too. There have been at least 20 patrols today flying right over my apartment. AND ITS NOT EVEN GAME DAY YET.

I despise the new stadium too. So I've pretty much just been walking around in a low level state of pissed off all week.

So far no effect on my bus route from the burbs downtown, but the helicopters are getting annoying. I'm trying to concentrate and get work done here.

The new stadium is an eyesore. Probably looks nice from inside, but it's awful from the outside. Like a sandcrawler just sitting there looming over the city or something. And I've never heard anybody praise the Jawas for their beautiful construction aesthetic.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 01:34:40 PM »
So I've pretty much just been walking around in a low level state of pissed off all week.

Basically everyone I work with too.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 01:51:30 PM »

Dilly dilly.

I used to smugly watch it solely "for the commercials" years ago, but then I realized you can just watch the best ones the next day on YouTube and that only takes a few minutes.

EDIT: I may have read your comment backwards.

I used to watch for the commercials too, then I noticed that a) some of the commercials will appear on the internet before the Super Bowl, and in general they've just sucked n recent years.  They used to be fresh, exciting, or ground-breaking.  Now they're all just low-brow humor and movie trailers.  I watch the game because it's generally an exciting event I watch with friends, though it's the only football game of the year I'll watch.  Which reminds me, I'm new to this town.  I need to find some friends before next weekend.

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 03:31:15 PM »
My neighborhood Facebook group is completely up in arms about the fact that the Green Line and Blue Line will be limited to Superbowl ticket-holders only all day on Sunday. Queue the "taxpayers funded those damn trains" conversations. Metro Transit did make buses free that day though, for all of us local plebs that might have to, I dunno, work or something.

I've also seen plenty of silly comments online about becoming an Uber driver temporarily for the weekend for the sole purpose of dropping Eagles fans off in the wrong locations, now that apparently we are mortal enemies. Lots of big talk, but what will actually happen is Eagles fans will get a weekend full of wicked side-eye. Everyone get your best, midwest, passive-aggressive RBF faces on!

I personally plan to stay the hell away from it all. It'll be a miracle if I even make myself leave the house to grocery shop.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 04:20:04 PM »

Crazy. We’re in Mexico right now — flying back tomorrow. I’ll be interested to see if this shit is happening in St. Paul, too.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 04:34:06 PM »
What a bunch of complainy-pants we have in here...

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 05:09:26 PM »
This piece by Surly about MN culture made me chuckle

http://surlybrewing.com/news/welcome-minnesota-primer/

omachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 05:23:49 PM »
This piece by Surly about MN culture made me chuckle

http://surlybrewing.com/news/welcome-minnesota-primer/

It's funny because it's true.

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 05:50:05 PM »
Frickin' meat raffles LOL. Yeah I loved that... thanks for sharing.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2018, 07:16:39 PM »
I got a free coat from work because we are a sponsor so we can be "brand ambassadors" orsumshit. Whatever,it's a nice coat, I'll take it.

That is my total level of involvement. I would never rent my house for a major sporting event because I don't trust people who drop 5k on tickets to a single event. 

We are complaining so much at work. Brings us all great joy.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2018, 07:18:03 PM »

You're welcome to fund a billion dollar stadium of your own and upkeep on top of that to have them fuck your city next time.

Join yourself with the NFL and Super Bowel with my original thesis statement.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2018, 07:33:16 PM »

You're welcome to fund a billion dollar stadium of your own and upkeep on top of that to have them fuck your city next time.

Join yourself with the NFL and Super Bowel with my original thesis statement.
You know your elected representatives compete with other cities to host the superbowl in "your" city, right?

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2018, 08:46:21 PM »
You know your elected representatives compete with other cities to host the superbowl in "your" city, right?

That's right, but what's your point? I have no say in how our community taxes are spent despite my voting in local elections. There's never never never! ever discussion about our collective treasure in the same order of magnitude for anything else "public" the same as athletic stadiums et al. Most of these competitive agreements cities try to out-fellate themselves for these events, and then keep the packages secret. I'm sure you're aware of how cities are competing for Amazon the same way. And then they go and fuck up my daily grind.

If you haven't picked it up yet, it kinda pisses me off. Just a little.

omachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2018, 08:59:59 PM »

That's right, but what's your point? I have no say in how our community taxes are spent despite my voting in local elections. There's never never never! ever discussion about our collective treasure in the same order of magnitude for anything else "public" the same as athletic stadiums et al. Most of these competitive agreements cities try to out-fellate themselves for these events, and then keep the packages secret. I'm sure you're aware of how cities are competing for Amazon the same way. And then they go and fuck up my daily grind.

That isn't even completely right. First the stadium had to be built before the natural conclusion of the super bowl. Think the bowl would have happened in 2018 in the dome? Please. It's a reward to the people that voted for the stadium so they can take their donors to a big important game and impress them, all for some tax funded welfare for an out of state billionaire.

It isn't like we weren't without significant resistance to tearing down a functional stadium to then build a fancy new one with public money in the first place. The state, in it's wisdom, made an end run around the Minneapolis city charter requiring a referendum on building sports venues costing more than $10M. They have the political right to do so, but it's still a questionable decision to do so. They denied the citizens of the city the right to exercise their voice that they'd explicitly amended the charter on this very specific issue for.

And no, I didn't get a vote in the election of the vast majority of representatives in the state that decided they knew better than the literal people in the city.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2018, 10:05:02 PM »
That isn't even completely right... It isn't like we weren't without significant resistance to tearing down a functional stadium to then build a fancy new one with public money in the first place.

But it's sorta right. Are localities around the country not one-upping each other to jack off Corporations harder than the next city?

You're right about not having a say in electing those idiots who voted for stadium money in the rest of MN though. Those are all the same people around the state who don't like funding Metro priorities while the real story is that they take from Metro taxes.

If Ziggy and the NFL wanted a new stadium they could have paid for it. Same goes for the Twins stadium and the Timberwolves at the Target Center. I do not care about having a Super Bowl in Minneapolis. Go ahead and keep it somewhere else the way Cities around the world are starting to get out of wanting the Olympics. Wasn't one of the advertised perks of building a new stadium that we could vie for the Super Bowl and bring that cash cow home? Check out those other cities still paying off their bills from their own Super Bowl extravaganza.
https://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/2018/01/super-bowl-showdown-economic-boost-or-no/

"Significant resistance?" Moot now that they actually built it, no? Because they were going to move to Los Angeles?
Even an ass like Jessie Ventura didn't give the Vikings a new stadium. I'm so proud of us.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to ride over the same pot-holed street to work on my bike, the city sidewalk department can't get their shit together about fixing my sidewalk for at least the last five years and somehow we are unable to do something about the homeless, the heroin whores and the pimps on Lake Street.

And in case you're wondering I'm neither a jealous Viking's fan, nor a fan at all. If I'm not mistaken, they've managed to choke every time it mattered back to the very first Super Bowl.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2018, 11:31:18 PM »

I'm quite familiar with the logistical problems caused by large events. So far, I've witnessed:
- two separate world cups, including a world cup final won by the host country (good luck getting anything done for a week when that happens)
- countless international sporting events that flood the streets with crowds
- countless visits by foreign heads of state, with a special mention to US presidents, with the accompanying road closures and checkpoints
- million+ people marches in the streets for cause X or Y
- complete lockdowns with curfew and manhunts when some assholes decide to blow up people

I'm as pissed off as you by the financing of stadiums with public money, but you may be overreacting if a subway and bike lane closures once every decade or so are that big a deal to your daily grind.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2018, 08:10:42 AM »
All reasons to get out of big metro areas for lives in smaller cities instead. Visit the city but live elsewhere.

omachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2018, 09:03:45 AM »
I'm as pissed off as you by the financing of stadiums with public money, but you may be overreacting if a subway and bike lane closures once every decade or so are that big a deal to your daily grind.

Ohhhhh. You think the complaint about a bike lane closure is actually a complaint about a bike lane closure. Haha.

Should I tell him, guys? I'm going to tell him.

Paul, Minnesotans are not known for their directness.

Let's look at the facts. On one hand, we have a person who bikes in sub-zero Fahrenheit weather on oft icy pavement, likely one if not both ways in the dark around this time of year. On the other, this verifiable badass is complaining about a couple blocks of detour or biking on the road instead of in a bike lane.

With your new knowledge about Minnesotan directness, which do you think is more likely? A) That the trifle of a detour is an actual problem. Or B) that the complaint is a proxy for rural folks electing state representatives that in 2012 decided to avoid the referendum on building a stadium the Minneapolis city charter was amended in 1997 to require on all such sports venues, thus depriving Minneapolitans of the say they explicitly put in their charter, while still sucking up $150M from the city coffers just to build and will drain almost $700M over 30 years, and that maybe the bike lane closure is the cherry on top of this shit sundae?

newgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2018, 09:33:53 AM »
GOD THE HELICOPTERS. It's only getting worse. At least it's supposed to be subzero on Sunday so suck it US Bank Stadium, you shiny monument to taxpayer theft.

On Sunday I am turning on the TV for Leslie Odom Jr's national anthem performance and then we are OUT.

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2018, 11:26:48 AM »
The new mayor is a troll lol.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2018, 11:38:51 AM »
For the record, I'm an immigrant to MN.

No, I'm actually pissed about having to change my route to work. All they would have had to do is extend their chain link fence 20 feet. And I'm not the only one person in the city who is still riding their bike there. To clarify, it's not actually the bike lane, but the Hiawatha bike trail from Cedar Riverside to 11th St. But still also pissed about BS public spending on rich corporation money makers that still don't trickle down.

Coworker was charged $50 bucks for a quick stop this morning they usually make for free.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 11:42:46 AM by accolay »

zoltani

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2018, 11:58:05 AM »

For the record, I'm an immigrant to MN. No, I'm actually pissed about having to change my route to work. And that we spend money on stadiums and everything else associated.

Coworker was charged $50 bucks for a quick stop this morning they usually make for free.

If thou art pained by any external thing, it is not this that disturbs thee, but thy own judgment about it. And it is in thy power to wipe out this judgment now.

omachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2018, 11:59:56 AM »
So am I, which is why I'm direct more often than not. But indirect starts to seem normal.

No, I'm actually pissed about having to change my route to work. All they would have had to do is extend their chain link fence 20 feet. And I'm not the only one person in the city who is still riding their bike there. To clarify, it's not actually the bike lane, but the Hiawatha bike trail from Cedar Riverside to 11th St. But still also pissed about BS public spending on rich corporation money makers that still don't trickle down.

Wasn't aware they shut down the trails, too. That sucks. I don't ride in the winter anymore due to a couple spots that get icy and dangerous that I can't avoid, but do stick to trails as much as possible in fairer weather.

But I figured with reference to bike lane and this:

I wouldn't have a problem if owners and the NFL actually paid for everything, but we all know that's not happening.
the diversion wasn't the real problem.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2018, 04:47:41 PM »
If thou art pained by any external thing, it is not this that disturbs thee, but thy own judgment about it. And it is in thy power to wipe out this judgment now.

Methinks who penned the statement hadn't almost been run over by those texting and driving while on their bike in city traffic.

Super Bowl can still suck my balls.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2018, 09:10:04 PM »

Must not be from a shithole country. Otherwise you'd know how to harden the fuck up and adapt, especially to a MN winter. 1st world problem. Suck it up.
Trickle down economics is a fairy tale told by the elites to the worker bees, who are too busy watching canned TV and don't have a real BS filter.

PS. I am from a shithole country. Moved straight to the underside of 'Murica's penis. It's cleaner and safer here than the shithole.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2018, 10:09:07 PM »
My neighborhood Facebook group is completely up in arms about the fact that the Green Line and Blue Line will be limited to Superbowl ticket-holders only all day on Sunday.

As they should be. If you wouldn't reserve a whole freeway for Super Bowl ticket holders for a whole day, you shouldn't do it for a whole train line either. People who are just trying to go about their lives might want to be able to get around their city. They should be able to do so. If the game attendees need a convenient transit ride to the stadium, the NFL should rent some fancy coach buses, or pay for extra trains to run to accommodate the crowds. There's no good reason why people with tickets shouldn't be able to ride on the same train as people without.

zoltani

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2018, 02:37:47 PM »

Methinks who penned the statement hadn't almost been run over by those texting and driving while on their bike in city traffic.

Super Bowl can still suck my balls.

Ahahahahaha. HTFU

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2018, 05:24:46 PM »
Must not be from a shithole country. Otherwise you'd know how to harden the fuck up and adapt, especially to a MN winter. 1st world problem. Suck it up.
Trickle down economics is a fairy tale told by the elites to the worker bees, who are too busy watching canned TV and don't have a real BS filter.

PS. I am from a shithole country. Moved straight to the underside of 'Murica's penis. It's cleaner and safer here than the shithole.
1. Who ever said I was an immigrant from another country? I'm sincerely happy for your upgrade to American penis living.
2. I do pedal a bike to work in the winter- not sure you understand my angry problem her-. Now I'll be riding on Chicago Avenue until all the hoopla is over. Much safer than a dedicated trail except for the cars.
3. Trickle down educational minute brought to you by Jinga Nation.
4. Welcome to America. Ride your bike with me to work and see if you can take it. Was -23 this morning with wind chill. Does it get that cold next to the sack of America's penis?

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2018, 09:00:10 AM »

1. Who ever said I was an immigrant from another country? I'm sincerely happy for your upgrade to American penis living.
2. I do pedal a bike to work in the winter- not sure you understand my angry problem her-. Now I'll be riding on Chicago Avenue until all the hoopla is over. Much safer than a dedicated trail except for the cars.
3. Trickle down educational minute brought to you by Jinga Nation.
4. Welcome to America. Ride your bike with me to work and see if you can take it. Was -23 this morning with wind chill. Does it get that cold next to the sack of America's penis?

1. Just a few posts up.
4. Ah No. But I like it warm and humid. That's why y'all Northeners and Canadians trek down here for the wafts.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2018, 09:47:11 AM »
This is pretty funny.

https://www.gomn.com/life/celebrities-reacting-to-minnesotas-cold-weather-never-gets-old

It's pretty cold here right now, y'all.

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2018, 10:13:02 AM »
I'm kinda amused by the fact that we've got a little cold snap just in time for this weekend. There's gonna be tons of idiots at HCMC with frostbite and hypothermia.

I'm going to go grocery shopping Saturday morning, have brunch with MIL and Step-FIL Saturday, then hang out in the house the rest of the weekend. You couldn't get me within 5 miles of downtown unless you paid me LOTS of money.

omachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2018, 11:15:33 AM »
1. Just a few posts up.

Subtle distinction, to MN and not the US. You'll note that the Minnesotans in the thread weren't confused, despite the large numbers of Somali and Hmong that have made the state their home. It's common use around here. Don't feel bad, though, it can be hard to pick up on such things.

4. Ah No. But I like it warm and humid.
Classic.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2018, 11:43:17 AM »
Yeah, sorry about the inside jokes... If people want to live in America's taint, that's cool.

I'm kinda amused by the fact that we've got a little cold snap just in time for this weekend. There's gonna be tons of idiots at HCMC with frostbite and hypothermia.

Although it is somewhat amusing, I don't really want people in the hospital. Idiots + Alcohol + cold = a busy day in the hospital. I'm going to assume that Saturday night/Sunday morning is going to suck at HCMC.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2018, 11:54:23 AM »
The Vikings stadium is covered, it will be 65+ degrees in there.

Dilly dilly.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2018, 11:55:42 AM »
1. Just a few posts up.

Subtle distinction, to MN and not the US. You'll note that the Minnesotans in the thread weren't confused, despite the large numbers of Somali and Hmong that have made the state their home. It's common use around here. Don't feel bad, though, it can be hard to pick up on such things.

Learnt a new thing today, that one can immigrate to MN but not the US. Never heard this before, but there's a first time for everything.
I don't feel bad, I'm glad to be in the USA.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2018, 11:56:07 AM »
I'm not really bothered by the super bowl, though niether my commute or daily life is really impacted.

I think it's kinda cool for the twin cities to be put in the spotlight.  The winters suck, but it's an awesome place to live and work.

I think the money for the stadium and this event could have been put to better use, but I guess that's over and done with.

AND what helicopters?  I live about 3-4 miles from the stadium and I haven't heard a single helicopter.

omachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2018, 12:14:54 PM »
1. Just a few posts up.

Learnt a new thing today, that one can immigrate to MN but not the US. Never heard this before, but there's a first time for everything.
I don't feel bad, I'm glad to be in the USA.

I understand why you're confused. It is a simple distinction, though. We already know he's in MN from his bike route being disrupted by the super bowl. If he'd said immigrant to the US, we'd know he's in MN and not originally from MN or the US. By choosing immigrant to MN, he tells us he's not originally from MN, but nothing more. Since it's the same effort either way, one can assume he'd have said US if it was needed.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2018, 12:22:45 PM »
I think it's kinda cool for the twin cities to be put in the spotlight.  The winters suck, but it's an awesome place to live and work.

The winters keep the soft ones out.

AND what helicopters?  I live about 3-4 miles from the stadium and I haven't heard a single helicopter.

Really? They're patrolling all the time. Apparently looking for spikes in radioactivity and other such things (heard this the other day, but can't find a source to back it up). Also have a lot of snipers on roof tops, humvees and other such assault rifles etc.

As to the costs- we'll probably never know.
The cost to the city is expected to be at least $4.9 million. The host committee has a contract to reimburse Minneapolis for that amount. The committee, a private corporation, doesn’t release numbers, but Houston needed $70 million for Super Bowl LI.
http://www.startribune.com/for-super-bowl-minneapolis-can-expect-rooftop-snipers-restricted-access-and-lots-of-security/456195723/

What's 65 million between friends? Not like we could spend that on anything else in our city.
http://www.startribune.com/minneapolis-schools-trims-overspending-but-still-7m-over-budget/461115663/

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2018, 12:24:19 PM »
I understand why you're confused.

You guys are getting lost in the details... just go back to the original Thesis Statement and all will be made clear.