Author Topic: Logical fallacy help?  (Read 1924 times)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
Logical fallacy help?
« on: April 16, 2017, 10:14:46 AM »
I have a "friend" who seems to really enjoy figuratively spitting on his other friends' attempts at political activism.  So, for example, if you go out and do political activity A, he will roll his eyes and say, why are you doing A, when B and C are the real problems? As though it is possible to do only one thing. Even though many of us are doing A, B, C, D, and anything else we can think of.

So, what is the logical fallacy that he is employing here?

the_gastropod

• Bristles
Re: Logical fallacy help?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 10:42:36 AM »
This sounds like a false dichotomy to me (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma).

Also relevant is Voltaire's "Perfect is the enemy of good" aphorism. It also reminds me of one of my favorite David Eggars quotes from You Shall Know Our Velocity: "The inactive must justify their sloth by picking nits with those making an attempt"

StreetCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 10:46:23 AM »

Daffy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 09:47:39 PM »
You may like this related web site: http://www.yourlogicalfallacyis.com

Just discovered it recently myself.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 06:55:57 AM »
You may like this related web site: http://www.yourlogicalfallacyis.com

Just discovered it recently myself.

Yes, I know this site, and it's where I went first.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 09:04:50 AM »
I have a "friend" who seems to really enjoy figuratively spitting on his other friends' attempts at political activism.  So, for example, if you go out and do political activity A, he will roll his eyes and say, why are you doing A, when B and C are the real problems? As though it is possible to do only one thing. Even though many of us are doing A, B, C, D, and anything else we can think of.

While there may be a logical fallacy in there, I suspect the real problem is that they are being a bit of a jerk.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 09:15:29 AM »

While there may be a logical fallacy in there, I suspect the real problem is that they are being a bit of a jerk.

Oh, yes, indeed. But he is a lawyer, and specializes in thinking he's smarter than everyone around him. So the best way to get him to back the hell off is to point out that his logic is shitty.