Author Topic: Living in a hotel  (Read 4009 times)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
Living in a hotel
« on: February 27, 2019, 05:27:47 AM »
What are your thoughts on this? This guy is living in a Holiday Inn for $60 a day. I could get into that for a while but I think I would miss things like a full size fridge, stove, cooking my own food. This video doesn't account for lunch and dinner.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/video/man-wants-to-spend-retirement-days-at-holiday-inn/vi-BBU6cVx?ocid=spartandhp

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: Living in a hotel
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 06:58:46 AM »
There's a surprising number of people who live in hotels.  $60/day is $1,800/mo - not terribly expensive when you consider that comes with utilities, tv & internet, a shared pool and gym, free breakfast and maid service. It's not what I'd want but for those that would otherwise rent a studio apartment or efficiency the price isn't bad for many markets.

Of course hotels are not set up with the medical staff and care-taking responsibility for the elderly like a nursing home is, so its only a viable option so long as the individual can still live unassisted.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 07:17:00 AM »
I stayed in some Residence Inns in the past and that would be more my cup of tea. They have a full kitchen with refrigerator, stove, microwave, dishwasher and cabinets. I am guessing they have some silverware and limited pots and pans too. When I stayed there I was on a business trip and was not cooking but did like the set up. It was like home away from home. It would be more than $60 a night. I am sure snowbirds do this.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 07:34:51 AM »
Don't forget that this is 2/3 satire, pointing out the high care costs - which are mostly for the personal.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 08:52:38 AM »
its sort of like RV living. As noted, if you aren't downtown big city, the hotel can be quite reasonably priced.  Presumably you'd have to move around a bit to avoid peak rates at various places, same as the RV nomads.

You also get points, so some weeks at a new local could be free. (between points status  and the hotel brand credit card, this could start ratcheting pretty good).  Note the hotel also handles all maintenance activities. Sure, strictly speaking its not Mustachio, but that doesn't mean its a terrible idea if the transient nature of it all doesn't bother you. Meal costs will trend up, but if you are older and don't eat a lot, grocery store pre-made salad bar type food isn't any where near as expensive as restaurants.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 08:56:34 AM »
its sort of like RV living. As noted, if you aren't downtown big city, the hotel can be quite reasonably priced.  Presumably you'd have to move around a bit to avoid peak rates at various places, same as the RV nomads.

You also get points, so some weeks at a new local could be free. (between points status  and the hotel brand credit card, this could start ratcheting pretty good).  Note the hotel also handles all maintenance activities. Sure, strictly speaking its not Mustachio, but that doesn't mean its a terrible idea if the transient nature of it all doesn't bother you. Meal costs will trend up, but if you are older and don't eat a lot, grocery store pre-made salad bar type food isn't any where near as expensive as restaurants.

Except the article doesn't compare the costs to RVing, it compares the cost to a nursing home. Not sure the HI staff is going to change your bedpan.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 09:59:07 AM »
LOL @ "want to travel to Hawaii? they have Holiday inn there too"

This guy is obviously not at the point where he needs a bedpan changed if he is still traveling. He may get there in a few years and access full nursing care, but technically he's utilizing what's similar to an independent living place where you maintain your own separate living space and just get help with housekeeping and cooking as needed. Not a bad way to be if you can handle it. I've stayed in some extended stay motels for 1-2 weeks for work and even with a tiny kitchenette I find it stifling.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 11:20:41 AM »
Never even thought about it but last fall I went to Foxboro, MA with My kid for Soccer for a week as the Patriots own the Revolution and I would say half the people in the hotel we stayed at lived there. I would meat them at breakfast randomly and they all loved it. Some worked in restaurants or near by at shopping malls etc,, and I asked what about when there is a football game and they said thats the only time its busy around there. The rooms where a lot bigger and by permission they could decorate and do a lot of things to personalize. I also know they were not paying anywhere near that and the place had a really nice restaurant and bar not to mention a workout facility and you could walk to get whatever you need because its maybe 2-3 blocks from  stadium which has a complete mall next door and if you want dollar stores and other stuff you just go a couple blocks the other way. So I think you can actually get even more for a lot less if you looked around.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 02:32:17 PM »
I can actually see this working in some situations. Frankly, I'd rather do this than live out of an RV and drive around.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 02:52:36 PM »
I find it a bit hard to believe you can find a $60 motel room that isn't a flea bag. If I were to live in a motel I would want to live in a place where there is something to do. Like Florida, Myrtle Beach, Vegas, Nashville. In those places I am sure the prices are much more expensive.

sith02

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 10:59:28 PM »
I find it a bit hard to believe you can find a $60 motel room that isn't a flea bag. If I were to live in a motel I would want to live in a place where there is something to do. Like Florida, Myrtle Beach, Vegas, Nashville. In those places I am sure the prices are much more expensive.

Same here. As long all the advantage is there like resources for work, it should worth living there with good weather.

EricL

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 11:13:53 PM »
I used to live in a residential hotel.  It was OK.  But it was also a flat rate of $430 in 1990 (~$700+ in today's money.  There was limited space for my stuff.  I had to pack the closet with stuff and lived off canned food.  But I got free coffee, utilities, cable and maid service!

EngagedToFIRE

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 06:08:40 AM »
I have a family member who does travel nursing.  Right now staying at an extended stay for $59/night.  Has a kitchen, cable, internet, indoor pool, gym, etc.  Includes free coffee, popcorn and even things like paper towels, dish washer pods, detergent, soaps, etc.   $1800/mo doesn't seem quite so bad with so much included.  But this is, of course, in an area where you can rent a 1 bedroom or studio for $600 - $700/mo.  It's a big premium over that but not bad when compared with a HCOL area.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 06:17:05 PM »
I believe there are some states or municipalities if you stay a month you also don't have to pay occupancy or sales tax on stays.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2019, 03:38:11 PM »
I believe there are some states or municipalities if you stay a month you also don't have to pay occupancy or sales tax on stays.

Some hotels do that in Ohio.

I've been staying in hotels for work for years now and it gets tiresome.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2019, 11:55:03 AM »
If it was 2 bedrooms with a kitchen, maybe. But I'd also want a dining room.

When my wife and I talk about moving to a big city after the kids leave I tell her "I want a dining room" so we can entertain. She'll say, "okay, that's like $1,000,000 just for the apartment."

Great. At least we know.

I mean, I don't want to be so cramped, sleeping next to my bicycle, and having to make a special trip to do my laundry.

LAUNDRY: I want to be able to throw it in and go to bed.

A room is the opposite of simple living if you want to hold on to any of those sorts of things.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2019, 12:21:26 PM »
If it was 2 bedrooms with a kitchen, maybe. But I'd also want a dining room.

When my wife and I talk about moving to a big city after the kids leave I tell her "I want a dining room" so we can entertain. She'll say, "okay, that's like $1,000,000 just for the apartment."

Great. At least we know.

I mean, I don't want to be so cramped, sleeping next to my bicycle, and having to make a special trip to do my laundry.

A room is the opposite of simple living if you want to hold on to any of those sorts of things.

Working and living on the road does not work for many people.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2019, 01:06:11 PM »

You can do this though.  Most hotel rooms have a sink.  You throw your laundry in the sink with a little soap and go to bed.  Swish it around in the morning, rinse it off in the shower, and hang it to dry.  Should be good to wear the next day.  If you have a tub you can do a much larger load of laundry, but I find that it raises the room humidity enough that it probably wont' all be dry the next day.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2019, 01:25:24 PM »

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2019, 02:05:01 PM »
I used to live in a residential hotel.  It was OK.  But it was also a flat rate of $430 in 1990 (~$700+ in today's money.  There was limited space for my stuff.  I had to pack the closet with stuff and lived off canned food.  But I got free coffee, utilities, cable and maid service!
Yeah, in the 80s when my parents split, my mom left and lived in a motel for several months.  6 months?  It was winter, so the windowsill was the "fridge".  A lot of PB&J.  There were 2 beds, so my brother and I (both teens) would take turns "visiting" on weekends.