Author Topic: Lets bring back/Introduce SWMBO!  (Read 13870 times)

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
Lets bring back/Introduce SWMBO!
« on: February 25, 2014, 08:43:31 AM »
Many users of this forum use DH DW DS DD for shorthand ways of affectionately saying my Dear So and So.

Old forums I used to frequent used SWMBO.  HWMBO for those that may apply

She Who Must be Obeyed or He Who Must be Obeyed (but whenever is this case?)

I'm going to start using it, hopefully it catches on :)

ice813

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Lets bring back/Introduce SWMBO!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 09:02:06 AM »
If a man standing in the middle of the woods is speaking and there is no women around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Yes, yes he is...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 09:03:41 AM »
I just don't like the connotation of those acronyms.  It doesn't indicate a partnership to me, but at best a sarcastic jab at the relationship.

I would guess the level of discourse and tolerance of those other forums differed from here.

/shrug

To each his (or her) own.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 09:21:57 AM »
Bah! Of course its a light hearted jab at the relationship and meant to be taken sarcastically.

Does anybody remember laughter?

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 09:36:30 AM »
Bah! Of course its a light hearted jab at the relationship and meant to be taken sarcastically.

I laugh plenty. This isn't funny to me.

+1

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 02:26:34 PM »
Tough room...

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 02:30:32 PM »
I don't like it either, but more because I have a hard enough time remembering all the other acronyms people use. DW and DH are easy to figure out when put in the right context. I wouldn't even begin to know what SWMBO meant unless you told me. Keep it simple.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 02:40:02 PM »

I laugh plenty. This isn't funny to me.

+1

yeah, I think I have a pretty good sense of humor but stuff like this just kind of annoys me in the same way that tropes about wives being nagging bitches who spend all your money on shoes, or husbands being blunderingly incompetent at things like cooking and childcare, do. not sure why :)

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 02:51:16 PM »
Since we are so serious here at the mustache off-topic forums, lets break this down and discuss.

Obey verb
comply with the command, direction, or request of (a person or a law); submit to the authority of.

With that definition in mind.

She/He Who Must be Obeyed.

In all truthful honesty how often (or ever) do you go against your DW/DH/SO/SWMBO/HWMBO direct wishes, requests, thoughts, feelings.

Obey may be to harsh a term.   In a situation where two people are agreeing with or a at least complying with another persons request, there is a form of obedience at play due to the nature of the agreement, trust.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 03:18:37 PM »
I just don't like the connotation of those acronyms.  It doesn't indicate a partnership to me, but at best a sarcastic jab at the relationship.

I would guess the level of discourse and tolerance of those other forums differed from here.

/shrug

Uh oh, you have angered HWMBO

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 03:23:06 PM »
I get the first one, but not the second one.  ;-)

golfer44

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 03:25:23 PM »
Well I hope this trend dies quickly.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 03:36:25 PM »
I don't like it either, but more because I have a hard enough time remembering all the other acronyms people use. DW and DH are easy to figure out when put in the right context. I wouldn't even begin to know what SWMBO meant unless you told me. Keep it simple.

That's another good point.  I'd be slightly biased against using it for readability's sake, even if it wasn't mildly offensive.

There's some SWAMI one that floats around the forum that I never remember that has the same issue you bring up. It's from some MMM article from a few years ago, and I've looked it up a few times, just enough to know now that it has to do with someone being FI but working, I think, but never enough to actually remember the darn words it stands for.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 03:43:09 PM »
Still Working After M? I?

golfer44

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 03:57:08 PM »
Satisfied Working Advanced Mustachian Individual

Bank

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 04:07:08 PM »
As much as I enjoyed the Rumpole stories (where SWMBO comes from) he's not exactly a marriage role model.  Plus, I can't keep straight the acronyms everyone is already using.  I must have googled YMMV at least three times before I finally remembered it for good.  You kids with your interwebs and your rock and/or roll. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 04:28:08 PM »
You can always just interpret the "D" however you want.  I prefer "despicable"

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 04:33:04 PM »
Dolt? Deadbeat? Dummy? I like that game. All in jest of course.

Nancy

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 07:30:04 PM »
I don't find it funny, and it's hard to remember so I'm not a fan.

Since we're on the subject, I've never really liked DH/DW either. Does anyone else think it sounds like an acronym that a super old person came up with? I'll admit that I've used it, but it bums me out whenever I do-makes me feel sort of like I got kicked out of AOL, but now there are messages, so I can't log back in because only my DW knows how to get the messages off the phone. Know what I mean?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 07:31:43 PM by Nancy »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 07:32:56 PM »

Since we're on the subject, I've never really liked DH/DW either. Does anyone else think it sounds like an acronym that a super old person came up with? I'll admit that I've used it, but it bums me out whenever I do-makes me feel sort of like I got kicked out of AOL, but now there are messages, so I can't log back in because only my DW knows how to get the messages off the phone. Know what I mean?

I don't think about what it means when I read it or even type it (which doesn't happen that often) - when I read it, it translates as "wife" or "husband" - the dear is dropped.  I read it the exact same as I read "SO".

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 07:36:35 PM »

I don't think about what it means when I read it or even type it (which doesn't happen that often) - when I read it, it translates as "wife" or "husband" - the dear is dropped.  I read it the exact same as I read "SO".

ooooooooooold

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 07:44:49 PM »

Since we're on the subject, I've never really liked DH/DW either. Does anyone else think it sounds like an acronym that a super old person came up with?

Yes, I'm pretty sure the first time I came across this acronym system was on some parenting forum or knitting or whatever.  Maybe it's not an old person thing so much as "middle-aged stay at home mom" thing.  At least that's the impression it gives me.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2014, 01:44:06 AM »
I don't have a problem with SWMBO or HWMBO as a light-hearted thing, though it doesn't really appeal to me either.

Since we're on the subject, I've never really liked DH/DW either.

Maybe it's not an old person thing so much as "middle-aged stay at home mom" thing.  At least that's the impression it gives me.

Yep, that's how I feel about DH, DW, DD, DS etc. I think the first time I ever saw it was in an old magazine, in the section where they have short stories sent in by the readers about their family anecdotes that they find funny.

It just sounds kind of awkward to me, because usually when people speak in real life, they'd say "my husband did this", instead of "dear husband did this". They might occasionally, but not all the time.

You can always just interpret the "D" however you want.  I prefer "despicable"

Great idea, I think I'm going to interpret it this way from now on. :D

ginastarke

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2014, 01:59:18 AM »
If we're going to use teasing acronyms that are hard to understand I'd have to start using FK  (Fart Knocker)  for my husband and he'd have to use BWB  for me (Beavis With Boobs).  The HWMBO would offend the stuff out of him because it sort of makes him sound like the stereotypical knuckle dragger in a Lifetime melodrama. The "must" part of it implies "...or else"

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2014, 02:05:06 AM »

Yep, that's how I feel about DH, DW, DD, DS etc. I think the first time I ever saw it was in an old magazine, in the section where they have short stories sent in by the readers about their family anecdotes that they find funny.

It just sounds kind of awkward to me, because usually when people speak in real life, they'd say "my husband did this", instead of "dear husband did this". They might occasionally, but not all the time.

Old meaning predating the internet?  I could see why it would be used in a magazine, since print publications are real sticklers for character counts. 

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2014, 02:30:01 AM »
Old meaning predating the internet?  I could see why it would be used in a magazine, since print publications are real sticklers for character counts.

I first saw it probably about 15 years ago, maybe? Internet was around by then, but yeah, these are hard copy magazines. I can't remember the exact titles I saw those snippets in, but I think it was probably some kind of woman's/lifestyle/gossip magazine at my aunt's house.

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2014, 04:45:11 AM »
I always thought the D in DH or DW was meant a little tongue-on-cheek, which is the only reason I use it.  Plus, I'm trying to cut back on my swearing, so FW (fuckwad) is out.  (Just kidding, DH, you're really very D to me.)

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2014, 05:25:43 AM »
Ok now I don't feel so bad ... I HATE acronyms (and work in the government so have thousands of them shoved at me daily) ... I don't know what 3/4 of the ones on here mean (and have never bothered to google them) but just figured out using context. As for adding MORE ... no thanks ...

As an aside I find it very sad how many people I hear of disparaging their significant others in every day conversation - whether it be "just joking" or not (my general opinion/experience with --words always have the power to hurt (even if that person is not around) and once said cannot be taken back easily).

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2014, 07:10:07 AM »
As an aside I find it very sad how many people I hear of disparaging their significant others in every day conversation - whether it be "just joking" or not (my general opinion/experience with --words always have the power to hurt (even if that person is not around) and once said cannot be taken back easily).

+1

there are so many other things to make jokes about. sure, we make fun of each other when it's just us, but I think to disparage your partner in front of others, even jokingly, is kind of crass and just not necessary/good for the relationship.

but then I'm 25 so feel free to tell me I know nothing :)

DaKini

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2014, 07:37:01 AM »
Ah finally i eventually know what DW/DH is for.
Thanks!

as a side not i can't lough onj thos "relationship jokes" either, especially in front of others. It is one of the most important things in life to me.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2014, 08:29:49 AM »
I always thought the D in DH or DW was meant a little tongue-on-cheek, which is the only reason I use it.  Plus, I'm trying to cut back on my swearing, so FW (fuckwad) is out.  (Just kidding, DH, you're really very D to me.)

This for me.  Quicker to type than husband, and just typing H would be kind of weird.  I like that it's a little tongue-in-cheek/quaint.

My long-suffering husband may refer to me as SWMBO, though I'm usually not that bad.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2014, 11:55:21 AM »
I am a dragon, I drive a dragon car, and my SO is naturally a dragon lady.  Nothing disparaging in that!

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2014, 01:35:02 PM »
As much as I enjoyed the Rumpole stories (where SWMBO comes from) he's not exactly a marriage role model.  Plus, I can't keep straight the acronyms everyone is already using.  I must have googled YMMV at least three times before I finally remembered it for good.  You kids with your interwebs and your rock and/or roll.

Ha ha, I know, I liked those in high school and just got my own copies.  Re-reading them now I still like them but I'm also like, man, Rumpole, maybe you just need an attitude adjustment.  And to stop being an alcoholic.
If we're going to make a John-Mortimer-inspired acronym, I vote for HL (hind legs).

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2014, 02:35:48 PM »
And here all along i thought the D stood for Dumb.....hmmm. jk

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2014, 06:01:48 PM »

+1

there are so many other things to make jokes about. sure, we make fun of each other when it's just us, but I think to disparage your partner in front of others, even jokingly, is kind of crass and just not necessary/good for the relationship.

but then I'm 25 so feel free to tell me I know nothing :)

Interesting.  That's not at all how I feel (obviously).  My friends and I vent to each other about our spouses and children--that kind of gossip and dissing is good for intragroup bonding.  My DH and I tease each other all the time--in front of people, in front of our kids, when we're by ourselves--it's our schtick.  We think it's funny and it's how we show affection.

If my husband were outwardly mushy and sappy, I wouldn't like that one bit...it's just not me.  I'd much rather have a funny/sarcastic valentine's day card (or none) than a sappy, romantic one.  Some may find it crass, but there are plenty of people who still invite us over, so it must not bother them.

We have a great deal of underlying respect for each other, so our comments are not contemptuous and are generally tongue-in-cheek, but still probably what you would consider "disparaging."  Once in awhile we encounter someone who doesn't get it, and we had one good friend confide in another friend that she was really worried about the state of our marriage.  This was nearly 20 years ago and we're still going strong, while the friend who was worried about us and would never treat a partner that way is on her third marriage. 

It just works for us; to each their own.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2014, 09:12:59 PM »
Let's just stop using acronyms.   They just function to make people feel special about their job, forum, hobby etc.    It's really  not that hard to write "wife."

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2014, 10:43:07 PM »
They just function to make people feel special about their job, forum, hobby etc.

Huh?

Usually they are used to save time.

Or do you always type out or say Federal Bureau of Investigation, Environmental Protection Agency, Masters of Business administration, etc.?

I'm curious what your life ha been like if you assume people are so ego driven.

Silvie

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2014, 04:51:18 AM »
If anyone in my relationship should be obeyed, it's me :P

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2014, 05:33:46 AM »
Let's just stop using acronyms.   They just function to make people feel special about their job, forum, hobby etc.    It's really  not that hard to write "wife."
LOL

IWMBO?

Silvie

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2014, 06:07:34 AM »
IWMBO?
[/quote]

LOL it takes me more time to remember this acronym than just to write "my boyfriend"

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2014, 04:30:42 PM »
IWMBO?

LOL it takes me more time to remember this acronym than just to write "my boyfriend"

I really dislike "SWAMI" because I can never remember what it means.  It's a bit of a backronym.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2014, 06:32:44 PM »
I really dislike "SWAMI" because I can never remember what it means.  It's a bit of a backronym.

There's some SWAMI one that floats around the forum that I never remember that has the same issue you bring up. It's from some MMM article from a few years ago, and I've looked it up a few times, just enough to know now that it has to do with someone being FI but working, I think, but never enough to actually remember the darn words it stands for.

Still working advanced mustachian individual

I had to private message the last guy that used it to ask what it means.  I now realize my wife is also a SWAMI.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2014, 01:52:42 PM »
This may be literally the most ridiculous thread I've ever read on this site.

Not only is my relationship doomed because I prefer the humor (and sound) of SWMBO to the cloying DW/DH, that other forum I read it on was a shithole and the posters there were small-minded misogynists. Thanks for the stern lecture.

Here's an idea: if it hurts your feelings, continue not using the term.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2014, 02:09:26 PM »
This may be literally the most ridiculous thread I've ever read on this site.

Not only is my relationship doomed because I prefer the humor (and sound) of SWMBO to the cloying DW/DH, that other forum I read it on was a shithole and the posters there were small-minded misogynists. Thanks for the stern lecture.

Here's an idea: if it hurts your feelings, continue not using the term.

Sure.  I found DW cloy at first as well, however, like I said, I don't even see it anymore as what it means, just as "wife."

The same doesn't happen with SWMBO yet, so when I have to work out the acronym, it's just irksome.  Same as DW was at first.  If I saw it enough, I'd probably get used to it.  For now though, I'll continue to not use it, as you suggst.

Like I said:

BuildingFrugalHabits

• Bristles
  • Living the dream
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2014, 04:13:17 PM »
Okay I'll admit it.  For some reason I had it in my head that the "D" stood for "Domestic" and I hadn't bothered to Google it.  I thought it was a weird acronym for that reason but "Dear" is pretty humorous and a bit of an anachronism perhaps. 

Ambergris

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2014, 01:10:19 AM »
Satisfied Working Advanced Mustachian Individual

Hmmm.  My brain tried to parse SWMBO as "Single White Male Body Odor".  Not totally obvious, perhaps.