Author Topic: Laphroaig - 10 year aged  (Read 672 times)

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Financial Velociraptor
Laphroaig - 10 year aged
« on: July 26, 2018, 07:20:40 PM »
*sip*

anisotropy

• Bristles
Re: Laphroaig - 10 year aged
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 08:03:50 PM »
no! smoke and salt is so unrefined!

I only accept the fine elegance from speyside. :P

what do you like most about Laphroaig10? the layers?

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 08:26:43 PM »
I also drink Laphroaig when I want something that tastes like Gary Busey's urine soaked into campfire ashes. I guess it's an acquired taste though...

anisotropy

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 09:07:36 PM »
lol that's a little harsh. I enjoy the smell of Laphroaig10 in small doses, but ya, the taste is a bit much for me personally.

*sipping Aberlour 12*

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Financial Velociraptor
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 09:36:44 AM »
You guys are hysterically funny.

I had a Laphroaig that was triple oaked and it was the best scotch ever.  I thought I'd try the aged but it doesn't measure up.  I like the smoke.  It is vaguely like a brisket.  I won't buy this one again though.  Unless I can get the triple oaked again.  The Speyside is also good.

PaulMaxime

• Stubble
  • Absolute power doesn't corrupt, it reveals.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 10:33:44 AM »
Lagavulin 16, for me.

When people talk about Scotch whisky, maritime imagery comes up a lot. So letís start with a beach metaphor.

Wonderful Glenmorangie is like visiting a beach in San Diego. Itís great! Itís 85 degrees, itís sunny, the water is warm, and everybodyís having a fantastic time. Lagavulin is like a visit to the Oregon Coast. Describe the experience objectivelyóitís cold, itís grey, itís rainy, thereís not much to do and certainly no place to swim without a dry suit or a death wishóand some might wonder why bother going at all. To others, thereís nowhere else in the world theyíd rather be.

Sunny beaches are terrific. But sometimes you need an experience with a little more grit, something that reflects the grimy, complex, trying, sometimes objectively bad experience of real life. For times like that, thereís Lagavulin. Itís peaty, medicinal, pungent, smoky, a Band-aid factory in the throes of catastrophic meltdown, and when you really need it, nothing else will do.

https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/scotch-whiskey/whisky-review-lagavulin-16-year-old/

driftwood

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 12:28:09 PM »
lol that's a little harsh. I enjoy the smell of Laphroaig10 in small doses, but ya, the taste is a bit much for me personally.

*sipping Aberlour 12*

I love Aberlour! Best grocery/convenience store scotch I've had. I also like the price.

*I have poor taste in scotch though

FIRE@50

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 12:36:46 PM »
I'm a big Laphroaig fan, but Lagavulin is my go-to favorite. They are fairly similar and located pretty close to each other. If I recall correctly, they actually shared facilities for a while and there were some lawsuits over some alleged stolen recipes.

I love the peat and smoke. I can't remember which one I was drinking, but one day my wife came home from work and asked me, from across the room, if I had been smoking. No honey, just drinking some scotch.

If you really want to get into the seaside flavor, get some Talisker Storm. I swear it tastes like the ocean.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 12:38:19 PM »
Laphroaig 10 cask strength. Best I've ever had.
Gift from DW 2 birthdays ago, still have 2/3 of the bottle...

anisotropy

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 02:05:00 PM »

I love Aberlour! Best grocery/convenience store scotch I've had. I also like the price.

I know, right? I used to pay a lot for Belvenie then I discovered Aberlour, which costs only a fraction of the price...

driftwood

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 02:07:12 PM »

I know, right? I used to pay a lot for Belvenie then I discovered Aberlour, which costs only a fraction of the price...

It's always awkward when I tell people I only drink scotch. When I say that they think I'm a scotch snob, and then I have to explain that I drink convenience store scotch, I don't like most 'fancy' scotches, and that I'm as far from a snob about scotch as you can get. It just so happens that I like drinking Aberlour, and not most other alcoholic beverages.

FindingFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 07:46:54 AM »
A friend had us over for dinner and at one point in the evening said something along the lines of "Try this, it's awful!" And so we did, because curiosity leads to bad decisions at least some of the time.  The "like kissing a mermaid that had BBQ for dinner" bit on the Laphroaig packaging lead it to become known as "the mermaid fart whiskey" amongst our little group of people that will never drink it ever again. 

FIRE@50

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 07:51:37 AM »
If I PM you my address, can you drop what's left of the bottle in the mail?

FindingFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 07:57:08 AM »
We ended up passing it along to my father, who apparently enjoyed the flavor of licking an ashtray.

PDXTabs

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2018, 04:46:08 PM »
I like a nice Laphroaig. Talisker 10 year happens to be my favorite, especially when I think about value.