Author Topic: Ladies - mammograms  (Read 16189 times)

NewPerspective

• Stubble
Re: Ladies - mammograms
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2018, 11:18:33 AM »
Thanks for everyone sharing their thoughts.  My biggest issue is that it causes me a HUGE amount of anxiety.  Not the actual procedure, but the results.  Because I have fibrocystic tissue I'm ALWAYS lumpy, tender, achey, etc.   The whole thing just makes me want to run far away and bury my head in the sand (I haven't as you can tell my having had 4 so far at the age of 41) but I need to find a way to get a grip on the anxiety.   It makes me not be able to function when I'm in the grips of it.

I've tried reading some stuff of Stocism but it didn't really stick.  Maybe I'll try again.

I saw a therapist for 9 months last year but it seem to really help (although I liked her a lot).

Can you ask for ultrasound instead of mammography?  I thought I had a lump once and when I expressed to the doctor that I didn't think the tech got the right spot in the mammogram, the doctor wouldn't let me leave until I felt comfortable that everything was checked and okay.  So he gave me an ultrasound on the spot.  Mammography has become so routine that you rarely get to speak to a real doctor during the process and the techs can't tell you anything.  This was a nice change from the routine and it really only came about because someone screwed up the initial mammogram and they had to call me back for a re-do.

I know what you mean about it being so routine that you don't see a doctor.   I hate the waiting part the most I think (and also studying the tech's face to see if they have a look of horror when processing the images).  Since I have dense tissue I do always have an ultrasound with the mammogram.    The issue with that is the ultrasound finds more things, which is good and bad of course.  I just had a biopsy done yesterday on something the US picked up.  Thankfully it was BENIGN! but the whole thing is just really scary to me.

I think Abe made a good point - the guidelines about mammograms less often is for women of average risk.  I think that is the part that is really confusing for a lot of people.  What makes you above average risk?  My two risk factors are dense breasts and no kids.  So does that automatically make me "high risk" for my age? I don't know and I'm not sure how to find out.    (I've taken the online calculators that say I'm average risk but it is hard to know if that is really what you should go by).  My doctor is very much in the go in annually camp but he isn't basing that on risk factors.  It is just his blanket recommendation.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2018, 12:16:37 PM »
I just had a biopsy done yesterday on something the US picked up.  Thankfully it was BENIGN! but the whole thing is just really scary to me.

Congrats!  What a relief, eh?  Good for you!

NewPerspective

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2018, 12:46:54 PM »
I just had a biopsy done yesterday on something the US picked up.  Thankfully it was BENIGN! but the whole thing is just really scary to me.

Congrats!  What a relief, eh?  Good for you!

Such a relief!!!!  OMG! 

I just ordered a book called Breasts: The Owner's Manual.  I plan to read it and try to make some good decisions about screening and such going forward.  (It is a written by a breast surgeon so I'm sure it will say screen annually but hopefully there is other good information).

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2018, 02:50:29 PM »
At 63 I have begun to question some of the routine tests and have been doing some research. For instance as you age your colon lining thins so having routine colonoscopies can be fatal if they puncture your lining due to most people developing sepsis. Some doctors won't even do them after 70. My DH at 45 was having impotence problems so took meds for it.  By 49 the meds no longer worked and the doctor did a biopsy and found that he had early prostate cancer. Even though it grows slow at that young age he would be dead eventually before he was old. We kept testing and when the numbers got high enough about 4 years later he did the radiation seeds.  I did read that the radiation from the mammograms cause cancer and it is the same as having a chest xray.  I think it is important to weigh the risks/benefits instead of being sheep. 

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2018, 08:10:36 PM »
At 63 I have begun to question some of the routine tests and have been doing some research. For instance as you age your colon lining thins so having routine colonoscopies can be fatal if they puncture your lining due to most people developing sepsis. Some doctors won't even do them after 70. My DH at 45 was having impotence problems so took meds for it.  By 49 the meds no longer worked and the doctor did a biopsy and found that he had early prostate cancer. Even though it grows slow at that young age he would be dead eventually before he was old. We kept testing and when the numbers got high enough about 4 years later he did the radiation seeds.  I did read that the radiation from the mammograms cause cancer and it is the same as having a chest xray.  I think it is important to weigh the risks/benefits instead of being sheep.

Yeah, I have ongoing digestive issues, and am a few years from my first colonoscopy.  I have two older friends that had to have emergency visits and surgery due to colon punctures from standard colonoscopies.  I want to get mine in as a baseline, but if they don't find anything critical, I'm definitely not planning on rushing for any follow ups...

Ugh, some of these

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2018, 09:37:30 PM »
So glad your friends survived. From my research that is not usually the case.  On one thread someone said I should do what my doctor said.  I think it is my decision .

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2018, 10:37:44 AM »

Yeah, I have ongoing digestive issues, and am a few years from my first colonoscopy.  I have two older friends that had to have emergency visits and surgery due to colon punctures from standard colonoscopies.  I want to get mine in as a baseline, but if they don't find anything critical, I'm definitely not planning on rushing for any follow ups...

Ugh, some of these
Just had my first colonoscopy and boy, was I scared about it!  Fortunately, I had the best doctor imaginable who put me at complete ease.  He also told me his stats:  after 20,000 colonoscopies, he has had one perforation and that was while removing a large polyp.  I had a polyp and he removed it on the spot.  Everything else came up clean.  I'm glad to be rid of that polyp.  After all, as some random person told me (which convinced me to get the test) , while not all polyps turn into cancer, all colon cancers start as polyps. 

On a plus side, I was having trouble with my "gut" and feeling like i had to take probiotics, or do something different to get the chemistry back to normal.  After the Colonoscopy prep, I feel like I've had a total colon cleanse and reset and I actually wouldn't mind doing that once a year or so.  The prep was nothing like what had been described by friends.  They've obviously made great headway in this area. 

My advice:  find the right doctor and get it done on schedule.  For me, that's not for another 10 years. 

NewPerspective

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2018, 11:41:31 AM »

Ugh, some of these
Just had my first colonoscopy and boy, was I scared about it!  Fortunately, I had the best doctor imaginable who put me at complete ease.  He also told me his stats:  after 20,000 colonoscopies, he has had one perforation and that was while removing a large polyp.  I had a polyp and he removed it on the spot.  Everything else came up clean.  I'm glad to be rid of that polyp.  After all, as some random person told me (which convinced me to get the test) , while not all polyps turn into cancer, all colon cancers start as polyps. 

On a plus side, I was having trouble with my "gut" and feeling like i had to take probiotics, or do something different to get the chemistry back to normal.  After the Colonoscopy prep, I feel like I've had a total colon cleanse and reset and I actually wouldn't mind doing that once a year or so.  The prep was nothing like what had been described by friends.  They've obviously made great headway in this area. 

My advice:  find the right doctor and get it done on schedule.  For me, that's not for another 10 years.

I agree with you.  I had a colonoscopy last month after learning my dad was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer recently (age 65, never had a colonoscopy, heavy drinker and smoker).  I was nervous about the results but not the actual procedure.  My experience was similar to yours, GREAT doctor and easy-peasy procedure.  I got the all clear but I do have to go back in 5 years instead of 10 due to family history.   This is one I wouldn't skip.  For me, the benefit very much outweighs the risk. 

I'm still unsure about the whole mammogram thing but I will likely continue getting them yearly along with the ultrasound.  I read a good part of the Breast book that I mentioned upthread last night.  It was interesting (and a little scary).  The author does address the studies showing that mammo's don't reduce the death rates, etc.  However, she still comes down on the side of yearly screening.    She also addresses the fact that mammograms do cause breast cancer, but it is a very low rate.  She gives a chart of different amounts of radiation exposure, I can't remember the details off the top of my head, but mammograms have lower amounts than a standard chest x-ray.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2018, 11:52:05 PM »
Always a trade off and no right answer.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2018, 11:17:35 AM »
Got my baseline mammogram yesterday.  So uncomfortable.  Everyone kept telling me how very, very common it is for first-timers to be called back for a diagnostic screening because there's a spot or two they want to investigate further.  And that I shouldn't freak out at all if I am called back.  The technician told me 60% are called back.  Yikes!  And then she told me that appointment would be like a full hour instead of just 15 minutes!  I was like, what did I get myself into for this breast health study?  I was actually sort of regretting it. My SO said, "As a scientist, thank you for your contribution!" and I made a face at him.  I'm also involved in a brain health study, so I think I have done my part for science now!

Just got the results - it was normal and I'm not being called back for additional screening!  Now I hope the study doesn't require me to do any additional screening for lots of years and I'll be happy. 

NewPerspective

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2018, 07:02:59 AM »
Yay!!! that is GREAT news!  So glad you are all clear and won't need to go back anytime soon.  :-)    How did you learn about the different studies?

I have to do a follow up UltraSound in six months, but I'm feeling better about it all in general.  Whatever will be, will be as they say.   :-)  (cut to me in six months, in a complete panic meltdown :-))

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2018, 09:47:26 AM »
Yay!!! that is GREAT news!  So glad you are all clear and won't need to go back anytime soon.  :-)    How did you learn about the different studies?

Thanks!  I got solicited to participate in these studies just through my healthcare provider, I think.  I go to UCSF, a major research hospital, so I guess that's why.  The brain health study just has me to do online questionnaires and "games" (memory/reaction time tests) every 6 months, which is definitely not as burdensome as doing a mammogram!

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2018, 06:38:16 AM »
I'm 45.  Like you I have a large lump but it is not cancer.  I dread going to the doctor because they comment on it every time and then try to refer me for a diagnostic rather than a preventative  screening, that automatically makes it fully payable by me since preventative is covered but diagnostic is payable up to my $6000 out of pocket.  Totally ridiculous.

I'm over due for another physical.  I'm tempted to reject the breast exam portion and just set up an appointment for a mammogram.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2018, 10:13:40 AM »
I've getting annual mammos since I was 34. I have a ton of cysts and fibrous tissue, so the mammos always look suspicious, but the ultrasounds (every six months) and biopsies are, so far, always fine. I've been meaning to ask my doctors if I could just skip the mammos and do ultrasounds semi-annually: less radiation and clearer results sounds like a win-win to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

There is a family history, which is why I started so young.

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2018, 11:17:32 AM »
In Sweden you get an appointment for a mammogram every other year from 40-74 and I plan to go to the checkups when that time comes.

freya

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2018, 12:00:31 PM »
Mariposa and other health professionals, thank you for your thoughtful perspectives.  FWIW, I am also a health professional although this is not my area of specialty.

After a few mammograms that all resulted in callbacks plus my personal assessment of the data, I quit doing them for a while but now that I'm on HRT, I'm being pressured to get back on the wagon.  However, I'm convinced they are nearly useless.  This is because screening can only really be effective for cancers that grow slowly and will eventually almost always become malignant.  This is the case for colon cancers, but not for breast cancer.  Instead, you get many precancerous growths only a very few of which go on to become cancerous.  The ones that become malignant develop very quickly.  To be fully effective, the mammogram schedule would be every 2-3 months, and you'd have to undergo > 10 biopsy procedures for each malignant cancer that gets caught. The every year or 2 year schedule, meanwhile, is like spitting into the ocean.  When the recommendation was changed to every 2 years from every year, I took that as a public admission that the screening program is basically a failure.

So I'm not quite sure what to do...I'll probably get the mammos to "treat" my physician, but just drag them out as long as possible to minimize my chances of getting caught in the overtreatment mill.

NewPerspective

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2018, 12:15:39 PM »
I've getting annual mammos since I was 34. I have a ton of cysts and fibrous tissue, so the mammos always look suspicious, but the ultrasounds (every six months) and biopsies are, so far, always fine. I've been meaning to ask my doctors if I could just skip the mammos and do ultrasounds semi-annually: less radiation and clearer results sounds like a win-win to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

There is a family history, which is why I started so young.

I don't think they will let you skip the mammo.  I feel like I asked one time and was told no, but I didn't push it or ask additional questions.  Next time I go in I will ask again.  I agree with you, I'd much rather just do the US.  For what its worth, my GYN said the 3D mammograms catch a lot more cancer at earlier stages than the older machines.  Who knows though.  It can be a little frustrating to read studies and such but then have all the doctors you actually see tell you the opposite.  "My" radiologist looked horrified when I said I was thinking of just doing the mammo every other year. (Yet when I said I was wondering if I should talk to a doctor about taking Tamixofen because of my breast density, he said that was not appropriate given my situation.  My GYN agreed).   So yeah.

kanga1622

• Bristles
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2018, 09:04:01 PM »
Thanks for everyone sharing their thoughts.  My biggest issue is that it causes me a HUGE amount of anxiety.  Not the actual procedure, but the results.  Because I have fibrocystic tissue I'm ALWAYS lumpy, tender, achey, etc.   The whole thing just makes me want to run far away and bury my head in the sand (I haven't as you can tell my having had 4 so far at the age of 41) but I need to find a way to get a grip on the anxiety.   It makes me not be able to function when I'm in the grips of it.

I've tried reading some stuff of Stocism but it didn't really stick.  Maybe I'll try again.

I saw a therapist for 9 months last year but it seem to really help (although I liked her a lot).

I struggle with this a great deal too. My mom has had breast cancer twice (plus another kind of cancer, and then my dad has had four kinds of cancer), and I am considered high risk. I’m 42 now and have had annual mammograms for about six years. For the past three years I’ve been on an every six month schedule with the breast surgeon with alternating mammograms and MRIs, plus ultrasound at every visit.
I have incredibly dense breasts with tons of fibroids, and have had multiple biopsies, starting at age 25.

Sometimes it all feels like too much. The wait for results is often rough, and I feel like I’ve just shaken off the angst and it’s six months later and time to do it all over again. But I will continue to do it because my risk score is so high and my parents have had cancer seven times between them. Self-exams are very hard to do on dense boobs with fibroids, and I can never trust whether the new lump I found is benign or something to worry about.

If I was at a low risk level with less dense breasts, I would feel more comfortable with skipping the annual mammogram. I hate feeling like it’s a matter of when, not if, I’ll end up with cancer.

This is pretty much my life. My family history is very high risk so I have screening every 6 months. I started at age 35 as pregnancy/nursing made screenings very difficult prior to that. I also feel it is only a matter of time so I try to stay positive but keep up with the screenings.

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2018, 07:23:36 AM »
I find it interesting that people will skip screenings b/c of anxiety or that it makes them feel bad.  If anxiety from screenings is bad, imagine how bad the anxiety would be if you had cancer. 

My good friend died of breast cancer at age 43.  She had a 4 year old at the time and wanted to live as long as possible, so she chose quantity of days over quality of days.  We watched the cancer rob her of everything, until it spread into her brain and took her sight, motor skills, and finally her personality.  It was a difficult, gruesome decline.

My teenage son has cancer and I've seen firsthand how horrific cancer treatment can be.  I also have a parent with cancer.

I get every recommended screening on schedule, regardless of my feelings about the subject.  I know these feeling dwarf the devastation that come with cancer.  The guidelines may not be perfect, but that is the best we've got and until science says otherwise, it is the best way to spare both me and my family another case of cancer.

NewPerspective

• Stubble
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2018, 10:51:02 AM »
I find it interesting that people will skip screenings b/c of anxiety or that it makes them feel bad.  If anxiety from screenings is bad, imagine how bad the anxiety would be if you had cancer. 

My good friend died of breast cancer at age 43.  She had a 4 year old at the time and wanted to live as long as possible, so she chose quantity of days over quality of days.  We watched the cancer rob her of everything, until it spread into her brain and took her sight, motor skills, and finally her personality.  It was a difficult, gruesome decline.

My teenage son has cancer and I've seen firsthand how horrific cancer treatment can be.  I also have a parent with cancer.

I get every recommended screening on schedule, regardless of my feelings about the subject.  I know these feeling dwarf the devastation that come with cancer.  The guidelines may not be perfect, but that is the best we've got and until science says otherwise, it is the best way to spare both me and my family another case of cancer.

For me, the whole point of the conversation is about whether mammograms are actually effective enough to warrant them.  Especially considering the anxiety they cause and the fact that they do expose you to radiation which causes cancer.

As I mentioned upthread I will continue to have a colonoscopy as prescribed based on my family history even though I was very anxious about the results before my first one. This procedure has been conclusively show to prevent colon cancer.  (My father currently has stage 3 colon cancer - he never had a colonoscopy).

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2018, 12:04:50 PM »
My sibs continue to have colonoscopies after the age of 70 because they have polyps.  I had one at 54 and not sure if I will ever have another one but definitely won't get one after 70.  Different people make different choices. It is not appearing that mammograms are as valuable as they were once thought to be.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2018, 08:57:58 AM »
My mother had breast cancer in her 60s but she's fine now.  Because she had it, I've had regular mammogams and sonograms (since I have dense breasts) since age 40.  This is timely as I just asked her this morning if she could give me info about the type of cancer she had.  My OB/GYN told me that some kinds of breast cancer aren't hereditary so it's possible that I don't actually need the annual screenings.

Unfortunately, a good friend of ours partner, who is 48, is dying from cancer.  It is so heartbreaking.

On the subject of breast cancer, I read in the NYC a few months ago that recent studies have shown that even low dose hormonal birth control methods increase a woman's risk of cancer.  I have the Mirena hormonal IUD so this made me worry a bit.  I didn't get it taken out though.  Anyone else worried about the effects of hormonal birth control methods?

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2018, 12:59:25 PM »
My Mom got breast cancer at 78 so definitely not inherited. I read that even low dose BC pills are much higher in hormones than what people took 30-40 years ago which might be part of the problem.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2018, 04:31:58 PM »
My Mom got breast cancer at 78 so definitely not inherited. I read that even low dose BC pills are much higher in hormones than what people took 30-40 years ago which might be part of the problem.

I think the early ones had much higher hormone levels that present-day ones.  They started high and tweaked to see how low the hormone levels could go and still be effective. 

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2018, 07:07:16 PM »

I think the early ones had much higher hormone levels that present-day ones.  They started high and tweaked to see how low the hormone levels could go and still be effective.

Yes, this is my understanding as well.   Much lower hormone amounts now than originally....in fact they often will offer ones that are so low in hormones (to start) that breakthrough bleeding occurs and then step up the amount until it doesn't.  However, the hormones in BCPs are synthetic, and not identical to human hormones.  I'm not sure if that plays a role in cancer though.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
Re: Ladies - mammogramsn
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2018, 08:55:56 PM »
I just wanted to share my experience so hopefully others can avoid what happened to me. I’m only 44 but they changed the guidelines about starting at 50 afternoon I had already started. And then they figured out that like many I have dense breast tissue. So anyway this year I go in and I have PMS and the ultrasound and mammo hurt more than usual and take forever. So of course they see one cyst on one breast and an “asymmetry” on another. I have to come back for a diagnostic mammo and ultrasound. The tech looks at the mammo and sees nothing there. When i tell her last time I had PMS she says always come in the week after your period. So there you go. I didn’t know that your cyxle could affect your results.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2018, 04:46:44 AM »
At the clinic I go to, they always ask about my cycle before scheduling the appointment.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2018, 01:04:32 PM »
My sibs continue to have colonoscopies after the age of 70 because they have polyps.  I had one at 54 and not sure if I will ever have another one but definitely won't get one after 70.  Different people make different choices. It is not appearing that mammograms are as valuable as they were once thought to be.
Cassie, I recently had my first and I was dreading it because of everything people told me about the prep.  Well, it turns out times have changed since all of those unpleasant stories and when I did mine, it wasn't bad at all.  I used the one where you do half the prep the night before and half the prep the morning of.  So the volume wasn't bad.  The kit had a few pills to swallow, then the powder which is mixed into whatever you want (gatorade, crystal lite, etc).  I mixed it with Gatorade and it was fine.  My doctor also had me eat bacon and eggs and yogurt the morning of the prep.  They're getting better at it and it's really not bad. 
As for the procedure, well, I had very nice people and was asleep through it, so I have nothing to say about that part. 

Afterwards, I felt completely cleaned out.  I had just started to take pro-biotics to "get my gut health back in check", but after the scope, I felt as if everything had been reset and cleaned out.  Honestly, I wouldn't mind doing that clean out part once a year. 

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2018, 10:26:00 PM »
It sounds like things have greatly improved. My kidneys were actually starting to shut down 10 years ago from the prep and lack of food.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2019, 05:55:09 PM »
Well hello old thread!  I just had my second mammogram last week.  I posted about this above, but I am a subject in a study for Breast Health and got placed in the "yearly mammogram" group.  So went back a week ago and just got called today to come back in for a diagnostic mammo and ultrasound on my right breast.  They didn't say what they found or anything, but obviously something.  I know there's lots of talk about further imaging often needing to be done and shouldn't freak out about it, etc., but I'm a little more worried in this instance because they have my last year's images to compare to.  So it feels like to me (although I'm totally guessing) that they saw something in this year's that wasn't in last year's, which doesn't sound good in any case.  So that sucks.  I'm going in Wednesday morning, so hopefully I know more then and glad it's not a long wait. 

I might have posted this upthread but about 8 years ago, my doctor referred me for an ultrasound after she felt something during a manual exam and I couldn't get that ultrasound for like 3 weeks!  And then the day I finally was supposed to go they called me to tell me that they couldn't take me because someone called in sick.  So I immediately started crying and was like, "I've been waiting to see if I have cancer already for 3 weeks and now I have to get rescheduled several more weeks?" They took pity on me and squeezed me in.  And at that time it was nothing, so here's hoping it is again!

The one thing I'm hoping is that they just did bad imaging.  At this location (a different medical system, perhaps not quite as highly thought of as the world class medical system I was a patient in at this time last year), they did less images to start with and I felt like it was a lot less uncomfortable/painful/awkward.  The tech did not take as long getting me into strange and crazy positions for the images.  I was in and out in like 7-8 minutes.  So perhaps it's possible they just aren't as good as the images from last year and they can't be sure about these ones, and again! totally normal! to need more imaging!  I'll just be over here doing lots of deep breathing for the next 36 hours...

(P.S. unfortunately, unlike brooklynmoney, posting a similar situation above, I wasn't just before my period)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 05:56:42 PM by sui generis »

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2019, 06:12:37 PM »
I had the same thing happen and it was nothing. Wishing you good luck.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2019, 07:37:30 PM »
Please do self-exams.

My best friend found a lump three months after a clean mammo. It was an incredibly aggressive cancer, and it was already at stage two when they found it.

If she hadn’t been good at checking, by the time she found it it likely would have been too late.

I lie awake nights thinking about how close she cut it.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2019, 08:10:38 PM »
Kris, the same thing happened to a good friend of mine. She lived 7 years.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2019, 10:34:23 PM »
You're right that it will probably be like your last time. Some statistics that I hope reassure you: about 90% of women who get "call-backs" have either nothing on further imaging (what was concerning-looking turns out to be just how tissue overlaid on that particular image) or whatever is found isn't a cancer. I wish they could be more efficient at doing further imaging the same day instead of making you wait! Some places do this now, so do consider that since this is the second time you've gone through this stress.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2019, 11:43:16 AM »

The issue with mammography is that there are conflicting sets of recommendations.   American Cancer Society says shared decision making from 40-44, annually from 45 until life expectancy is less than 10 years.  ACOG says shared decision making from 40-49, annual or biannual from 50 onward.  USPSTF says biannual from 50-74.  Under ACS guidelines a long-lived woman could get upwards of 40 mammograms in a lifetime, while someone following USPSTF guidelines would only get 8, and both would be following recommendations of professional societies.

I plan to follow the USPSTF guidelines, which align better with other countries' guidelines.  I plan to stick to established screening mammography procedures, rather than opt for alternative screenings with less proven benefit.  I also follow the USPSTF guidelines for cervical cancer screening (every 5 years with HPV co-testing) and plan to follow them for colon cancer as well.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2019, 12:04:11 PM »
What are the guidelines for colon screening?

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2019, 12:04:24 PM »

The issue with mammography is that there are conflicting sets of recommendations.   American Cancer Society says shared decision making from 40-44, annually from 45 until life expectancy is less than 10 years.  ACOG says shared decision making from 40-49, annual or biannual from 50 onward.  USPSTF says biannual from 50-74.  Under ACS guidelines a long-lived woman could get upwards of 40 mammograms in a lifetime, while someone following USPSTF guidelines would only get 8, and both would be following recommendations of professional societies.

I plan to follow the USPSTF guidelines, which align better with other countries' guidelines.  I plan to stick to established screening mammography procedures, rather than opt for alternative screenings with less proven benefit.  I also follow the USPSTF guidelines for cervical cancer screening (every 5 years with HPV co-testing) and plan to follow them for colon cancer as well.

This is basically the purpose of the study I'm a research subject in. To try to figure out what the best recommendations are for providers and patients. I'm stuck in the annual mammogram from age 40 group, which I didn't plan on doing for myself, but hope I'm making a contribution to science and health research! OTOH, if something really is wrong that they catch tomorrow, I'll be thanking them!

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2019, 12:07:14 PM »

This is basically the purpose of the study I'm a research subject in. To try to figure out what the best recommendations are for providers and patients. I'm stuck in the annual mammogram from age 40 group, which I didn't plan on doing for myself, but hope I'm making a contribution to science and health research! OTOH, if something really is wrong that they catch tomorrow, I'll be thanking them!

I'm glad you are doing such an important study!  And I hope you get the all clear - it really is anxiety inducing.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2019, 06:40:35 PM »
There's no breast cancer in my family but I plan to follow the Canadian guidelines anyways when I get to that age. It seems like they are recommending later and fewer mammograms than the US, for some reason. As I'm Canadian I would have to push to get more mammograms than recommended and I have no plans to do that!

Recommendations (Mammography) For women aged 40–49 we recommend not routinely screening with mammography. For women aged 50–69 years we recommend routinely screening with mammography every 2 to 3 years. For women aged 70–74 we recommend routinely screening with mammography every 2 to 3 years.

Ditto.  I discussed this with my doctor, I am comfortable with this protocol.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2019, 07:27:43 PM »
I hate getting mammograms so I follow the every other year recommendation just so I don't have to do it as often.

I've had 2 colonoscopies and I agree with others who like the cleaned out feeling. The second time I stocked up ahead of the procedure with Greek yogurt, kefir, kombucha, and sauerkraut so I could fill my empty colon with good flora.

I wish they would come up with a screening for ovarian cancer. It's the only cancer I am at higher risk for and the only one for which there is no reliable test. I find that very frustrating.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2019, 08:38:47 PM »
I'm considered high risk for breast cancer since my sister was diagnosed at age 35. I'm supposed to get a mammogram or ultrasound alternating every 6 months, plus meet with a breast health specialist every 6 months, for the rest of my life. It feels like a lot, but her cancer was pretty fast growing, so I guess I'll do it. I have my first mammogram scheduled for a couple weeks from now.

Anyone want to share their experience with a 3D mammogram? I don't really know what to expect.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2019, 07:01:32 AM »
In Norway, the recommended program is that all women between 50 and 69 with normal risk factors get a mammogram every other year.

The statistics here in Norway for saving lives say that if 1000 50 year old women get scanned 10 times during the program, 17 of them will die from breast cancer before they turn 80. For a similar group of women who do not get scanned, 23 of them will die from breast cancer before they turn 80. Therefore 6 lives per 1000 will be saved.

Of every 1000 scanned women, 30 will be called in for a second check. In 24 of those cases, it is not cancer.

I once felt a lump in my breast (in my thirties). I don't have breast cancer in my close family. First I got really scared and I couldn't get an appointment with my GP until after the Easter holidays). But I looked up on the internet what a lump could be and there was a list of 6 different things that were a lump, but not any kind of aggressive cancer. Then I felt a little better, but not completely safe.

I got a mammogram which didn't show enough and was followed up during the same appointment with an ultrasound. The doctor also had to stick in a needle to be sure and it turned out to be a cyst. My breasts are apparently full of cysts.

I think I will go to the bi-annual screenings when I get invited for it. Currently I am 45, so they don't call me in yet. In Norway they say that the dose of radiation during the screening is very minimal and low risk.

I do book the uterus check every 3-5 years, when I get the invitation for it. I hate to do that too.

Not sure whether I should have my colon checked. My father died of colon cancer when he was fifty. He never had any symptoms until one day he had blood in his stool. By that time it had already spread to his liver and he died 6 months later. I let my mother ask my father's GP and he said it wasn't the kind of inheritable cancer. Let's hope he was right.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 12:04:30 AM by Linea_Norway »

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2019, 07:36:38 AM »
You're right that it will probably be like your last time. Some statistics that I hope reassure you: about 90% of women who get "call-backs" have either nothing on further imaging (what was concerning-looking turns out to be just how tissue overlaid on that particular image) or whatever is found isn't a cancer. I wish they could be more efficient at doing further imaging the same day instead of making you wait! Some places do this now, so do consider that since this is the second time you've gone through this stress.

Yes, my screening center does an initial read of the images and does an immediate ultrasound follow up (within an hour) if they see anything.  No waiting and worrying. I had that a couple mammograms ago b/c my left breast tends to be cystic, esp. when my progesterone is high, so I always anticipate 'questionable images' and try not to worry going in.  This past time I just got lucky and was scheduled in the non-progesterone two weeks, so no follow-up needed.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2019, 10:04:01 AM »
I got the all clear this morning after some additional mammography.  Got to skip the ultrasound.  It was in fact what I had sort of mused about - last year I spent a much longer time at the initial mammogram and had a lot more uncomfortable and awkward positions to get into for additional pics.  Those were the ones I did on my second visit today. 

I have often been told I have dense or fibrous breasts and that can make manual exams more challenging.  This morning I asked and the tech said that that was also a part of what made the mammograms more challenging.  I asked if I might expect the need for additional screening each time for the rest of my life and she wasn't sure, since as women age some do "soften" and some do not.  So we shall see.  But when I see my OB/GYN next year, and before she has to order next year's mammogram (presuming nothing changes about the study I'm in), maybe I'll ask her if the order for the mammogram can start out with plans for extra screening same-day and then cancel as (not) needed, like we canceled the ultrasound this morning.  Or some other strategy to minimize potential for stress and return visits.

I was telling my husband last night that I felt like Schrodinger's cat in that moment.  I may or may not have cancer.  And the study I'm in is trying to figure out what protocol is optimal, balancing the desire to catch concerns early with minimizing unneeded expense and worry for the patient.  And because at that moment I was Schrodinger's cat, I didn't know which protocol I thought was best, but I had a feeling after this morning, I would have a strong opinion! 

In reality, I haven't formed a strong opinion and I am happy for the research to take its course and hopefully find some good answers that don't come out of emotions and anecdotes.  It'll be years before I know what, if any, conclusions they come to.  In the meantime, I'm more than happy that life goes on as normal for me today.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2019, 12:02:45 PM »
What are the guidelines for colon screening?

For USPSTF they are that you should be screened between the ages of 50 and 75.  They leave the actual screening procedure to the doctor and patient.  The gold standard is colonoscopy every 10 years, but other alternatives are flexible sigmoidoscopy every 5 years or fecal occult blood testing annually.

Like you mentioned, the risks of colonoscopy increase with age, which is why they recommend discontinuing screening at 75.  You can decrease the risks of screening by opting for fecal occult blood testing, but if that finds anything, you still need a follow up colonoscopy.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2019, 12:50:52 PM »
Thanks Simple.  I can’t use the decal tests because I have hemorrhoids that sometimes bleed. I had one at age 55 and plan to do one more at 70 and then done. My siblings have had polyps so do them more often and don’t plan to quit.

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2019, 06:36:49 PM »
After reading H. Gilbert Welch's book 'Less Medicine, More Health', I stopped getting mamograms.  If I remember his thoughts on this correctly, his position is that 1) truely malignant breast cancer does not respond well to treatment 2) lower malignancy cancers probably won't amount to too much anyway, and detection and treatment of these lower risk cancers makes it look as though mammograms are effective, and most importantly, 3) that breast cancer treatment does not result in an overall increase in longevity.  In other words, although you don't die of cancer, you die of something else and don't live longer if you've been treated for breast cancer.

I have two close female relatives that were diagnosed with 'milk duct' cancer.  One was treated with radiation therapy and hormone treatment to induce menopause.  Now, doctors are saying that these cancers do not require treatment ! ? ! ????  Ugghhh.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2019, 07:16:35 PM »
After reading H. Gilbert Welch's book 'Less Medicine, More Health', I stopped getting mamograms.  If I remember his thoughts on this correctly, his position is that 1) truely malignant breast cancer does not respond well to treatment 2) lower malignancy cancers probably won't amount to too much anyway, and detection and treatment of these lower risk cancers makes it look as though mammograms are effective, and most importantly, 3) that breast cancer treatment does not result in an overall increase in longevity.  In other words, although you don't die of cancer, you die of something else and don't live longer if you've been treated for breast cancer.

I have two close female relatives that were diagnosed with 'milk duct' cancer.  One was treated with radiation therapy and hormone treatment to induce menopause.  Now, doctors are saying that these cancers do not require treatment ! ? ! ????  Ugghhh.

Hmm, could you explain #2 more?  It actually seems like it's a two-parter:

lower malignancy cancers probably won't amount to too much anyway
What does this mean?  That someone with a lower malignancy cancer can/should just live with it and never know it's there?  This might be what you are saying about your relatives with milk duct cancer, but I have honestly never heard this perspective of letting a cancer just....go and do whatever it wants to do in your body, so I'm very curious.  For example, for the milk duct cancer and no recommended treatment, do they just monitor it every like 6 months or something to see if it is growing and/or spreading to other organs?

and

and detection and treatment of these lower risk cancers makes it look as though mammograms are effective
but if the cancer was detected by the mammogram, whose purpose is to detect risks like these....that means it doesn't just make the mammogram *look like* it's effective....it actually *is* effective at it's purpose.  No?  I mean, the value judgment of whether or not one should be detecting lower risk cancers is more about my question above and maybe whether you *should* do mammograms or not (a very open question generally!), but as to whether or not they are objectively "effective", how does detection make it "look like" mammograms are effective (the implication being that they are in actuality *not* effective)?  I'm actually not familiar with how effective mammograms are purported to be (i.e. rate of failure to diagnose or over-diagnosis), but if there was successful detection by the mammogram, I'm unclear what is not effective.

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2019, 03:46:24 AM »
What does this mean?  That someone with a lower malignancy cancer can/should just live with it and never know it's there?

Yes, I believe that this is not viewed as a real cancer now.  Previously, it was treated.  Now that we have more tools too look inside the body, we can see more things like duct cancer.  But we don't really understand the significance of what we are seeing.  Thus, we can see a duct cancer, and because we can see it, we feel compelled to treat it.  If you have a chance, read H Gilbert Welch's book.  He goes through all of this in great detail with lots of examples of people who are treated for things that don't really require treatment, and end up with health issues caused by the treatment.

but if the cancer was detected by the mammogram, whose purpose is to detect risks like these....that means it doesn't just make the mammogram *look like* it's effective....it actually *is* effective at it's purpose.  No?  I mean, the value judgment of whether or not one should be detecting lower risk cancers is more about my question above and maybe whether you *should* do mammograms or not (a very open question generally!), but as to whether or not they are objectively "effective", how does detection make it "look like" mammograms are effective (the implication being that they are in actuality *not* effective)?  I'm actually not familiar with how effective mammograms are purported to be (i.e. rate of failure to diagnose or over-diagnosis), but if there was successful detection by the mammogram, I'm unclear what is not effective.

In the case of duct cancer, which has now been established to be a non-issue.  In the past, Docs detect and treat it.  The woman doesn't get sicker.  Yeah!  Breast cancer treatment is soo effective!  But, now we don't believe that milk duct cancer will cause a problem.  So the treatment was unnecessary and inflates statistics showing that treatment is effective. 

In my opinion, medicine is full of many similar false positives, and people are being unnecessarily treated for all kinds of things.   Read this:
https://www.cochrane.org/CD001877/BREASTCA_screening-for-breast-cancer-with-mammography
Cochrane performs evaluations of the impact of medical treatments unbiased by the financial incentives of doctors, the pharmaceutical industry, and the medical device industry.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2019, 06:03:28 AM »
I got the all clear this morning after some additional mammography.  Got to skip the ultrasound. 

Excellent! what a relief.