Author Topic: Kids vs. Child Free  (Read 37956 times)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Kids vs. Child Free
« Reply #150 on: November 18, 2015, 04:26:17 PM »
But everyone keeps telling me...it's worth it. All of it. And I'm just not ready and what I'm going through is normal as I'm still young. Everyone keeps telling me I'm experiencing normal emotions. They says its worth the havoc it has on your body, getting all torn up.

When I hear this...I'm like..you're crazy. All of you. Nothing is worth that. So I don't know who to call bu!?@&$? on.
It is.  Totally worth it.

For me.

I never wanted children.  Didn't like them at all, and didn't picture myself as a parent at all.  Probably should have discussed that with my spouse before we married. 

I had friends who had kids.  Then I realized, I kinda liked my friends' kids, because I could see my friends in them.

It took my husband 7 years to talk me into trying. It took 1.5 years to get pregnant.  I was almost 36 before I gave birth.

It's worth everything.  It's still a shit-ton of work (I had my second kid at 42), I'm tired of being tired, they are needy and annoying little suckers.  But man, when my 3 year old snuggles in with his arm around my neck and his head on my shoulder, it's the BEST. When my 9 year old whips me in chess and does his crazy happy dance - well, that's not so bad either.  When he freaks out because he's having a hard time figuring out his homework...well...that's not fun, but he gets that cranky streak from me, so what can I say?

But that doesn't mean it's worth it for you.  And honestly?  I think I'd still be blissfully happy without children.  Having children late means I didn't worry so much about ruining my body either, ha!

I have many many friends without children who are perfectly content. Some never wanted children, some waited too long, some had one half of the couple who wanted them and the other didn't, some just couldn't have them.

I think you should make sure you get a taste for what it's like.  You never REALLY know till you are in the trenches.  And men can sometimes be clueless (women too).  Some of my mom friends with my second baby have husbands who play video games, watch sports, etc.  To the point where the wife will get home from work and there are dirty diapers everywhere and the husband is playing video games.  Um...that's not a very good situation or reality.

Conjou

• Stubble
« Reply #151 on: November 19, 2015, 03:56:47 PM »
I support your decision not to have kids and appreciate all the questions and social pressures that accompany that decision. They are not necessary for happiness or fulfillment. There are plenty of people having kids and keeping the population going. Once you have them, they are yours forever. Sure, you would love them and adjust and all that but why? And if your current partner really wants them, this is one of those biggies in a relationship, and I say bless and release: let him go find someone who wants kids as much as he does and you go find someone that doesn't. And this doesn't make you selfish, or unfulfilled or less important or set for a life of loneliness. Communities are created by people--choose to be in caring relationships, love all people instead of needing to be tied to a family blood unit or something, and you will live a spectacular, wonderful, enriching life. No kids of your own needed, I guarantee it.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #152 on: November 19, 2015, 08:26:55 PM »
I'm sort of in a similar situation, except I am much older. I never wanted children. I hated dolls when I was a kid, refused to babysit, and even wrote and signed an affidavit when I was 12 stating that I would never get married and never have children. I have been with my better half for 15 years, and we have agreed the whole time on the no marriage or kids thing. He said forever that he would get a vasectomy when he turned 40. Well, his 40th rolled around, and I asked him if he wanted to talk about it one more time before the big snip, and he said he does want one!!! I told him that I don't want to ruin his life, so agreed (breaking up and finding a new girlfriend real quick to knock up isn't very realistic) No pregnancy yet, but I am in extreme distress and panicked because I still don't think I want one, but we don't have time to hem and haw about it anymore. Anyways, good luck. I think as long as you're honest with the people you are in serious relationships with, that's all you can do...(though you may find yourself confused in your mid 30's anyways, like me. But I hope not, 'cause it sucks.)

Screw all your friends and family who are pressuring you to have them. It's none of their business whether you want kids or not, though they all think it's their business. And tell your young boyfriend the truth, for the forseeable future you are not interested, and if he needs to move on, then move on. You have 10-15 years before you really have to decide, so tell them all to shove it!

Please don't have a kid. If you aren't completely sure you want one, the default should be no, not why not.

NewJourney

« Reply #153 on: November 19, 2015, 09:12:27 PM »
I completely agree. The problem is...I hate kids so much right now, and I don't want them. But what if I give up on the man of my dreams and walk..and in a few years regretting it and wanting children really bad?

It's my biggest fear.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #154 on: November 19, 2015, 11:34:28 PM »
My sister & my oldest son always knew that they didn't want kids. My son found a great wife that is perfect for him although it took a lot longer because most women want kids. They are both happy with their decision. Someone is not the perfect person for you if you both have very different life goals.  I think acquiescing to  this major life goal is likely to cause major resentment down the road & lead to marriage dissolution. Also some parents run away which is very hurtful to a child-especially if it is the Mom. Listen to your heart. Do not let others dictate your life.  Hugs:))

CientoUno

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #155 on: November 23, 2015, 11:41:18 PM »
OP-- you mentioned you're 24?? You're far from a crucial decision! You've got so many years to grow and change and still be at a good childbirth age. If you don't want them now, don't have them now. If you want them later, have them. If you never do-- fantastic, your life will be nice and simple. If you decide you do, great, because you'll likely want them for a whole host of reasons.

I'm 25, and pretty damn certain I don't want kids (barring some crazy change of mindset that doesn't seem likely at the current rate things are going). My whole thing is, I find it almost impossible to get out of the logical mentality and into the emotional. I can think of so, so many cons to having kids and most pros boil down to things involving love and togetherness and all that type of stuff. Though I'm probably a strange example because I've never really actively sought out love or lasting relationships anyway. I've always valued my own freedom and personal time way higher than sacrificing myself for a family.

I'm open to that changing, but in the event that it doesn't, I'd echo the same sentiments as others here have many times: better to regret not having kids than having them. Either way, you'll make the best of it. But if you're any less than 150% certain, the default should be not having them.

NewJourney

« Reply #156 on: November 25, 2015, 11:59:17 AM »
OP-- you mentioned you're 24?? You're far from a crucial decision! You've got so many years to grow and change and still be at a good childbirth age. If you don't want them now, don't have them now. If you want them later, have them. If you never do-- fantastic, your life will be nice and simple. If you decide you do, great, because you'll likely want them for a whole host of reasons.

I'm 25, and pretty damn certain I don't want kids (barring some crazy change of mindset that doesn't seem likely at the current rate things are going). My whole thing is, I find it almost impossible to get out of the logical mentality and into the emotional. I can think of so, so many cons to having kids and most pros boil down to things involving love and togetherness and all that type of stuff. Though I'm probably a strange example because I've never really actively sought out love or lasting relationships anyway. I've always valued my own freedom and personal time way higher than sacrificing myself for a family.

I'm open to that changing, but in the event that it doesn't, I'd echo the same sentiments as others here have many times: better to regret not having kids than having them. Either way, you'll make the best of it. But if you're any less than 150% certain, the default should be not having them.

I really do agree! Thank you for your post.  I hate the pressure..even in this relationship, there is a pressure for children without even being together a year.  The pressure isn't even direct..its from knowing what the person you love wants..and for a complete list of logical reasons, not wanting to fulfill that. 

He knows how old I am, I told him how I feel. He doesn't seem to really care (because he thinks ill change my mind) and who knows! I really might. Let's just hope he's prepared for if I don't.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #157 on: December 09, 2015, 07:32:02 AM »
I'm at a point in my life where I kinda have to make a crucial decision. My boyfriend wants kids in the next few years. And let's just say, I've never enjoyed being around kids and I thought I'd grow out of it, and I left it at that. (5 years later) I revisit the topic, and let's just say now that I think about it. It sounds like the most horrible life ruining thing I could do.

Kids suck.  Babies really really really really really suck.  Your own kid is somewhat better.  Your own baby . . . meh, not so much.  For the woman though, there's a lot of hormonal stuff that goes on that will actually rewire your brain into loving the monster post childbirth.  Plus your body releases chemicals that affect your memory, so much of the trauma will be forgotten or at best, hazily remembered (hence why women have more than one kid).

People with kids please don't be offended, I just mean it personally.

You didn't say anything that was untrue.

If you have a kid, you give up your freedom, if t doesn't work out with that person your stuck anyway, you can't just up and leave. Not to mention so many of my friends marriage feel apart after having kids, a select few just making it work, and the only thing they do is complain.

Yes.  Probably the hardest thing our marriage has had to endure is the birth and subsequent raising of our son.  You want a rock solid, long term, and very committed relationship before undergoing the child experience.

Not to mention when we women have to go through. It honestly looks like one of the most horrible things to put our body through..

This is kinda hit and miss for women.  It depends on a lot of factors.  Some are up and raring to go a couple days after childbirth.  Some (like my wife) have several weeks of agonizing recovery.  It's not all bad for your health though . . . breastfeeding and pregnancy released hormones have been linked to reduced breast cancer.  My understanding is that many vajayjay time of the month issues seem to resolve themselves for women post pregnancy.    There are some silver linings . . .  :P

Thoughts?  I'm at a loss...every man I've been with all want kids, but I'm so happy where I am right now. Is it something I'll get over if I give it a few years? My boyfriend and my mom  think it's because I'm still young and just not ready quite yet

As someone who was militantly against the idea of having kids during his 20s, I can attest that sometimes your views on the matter will change.  Don't tell anyone that you'll think differently in the future, but don't rule out the possibility that you will.

Kids don't make you happier.  They're not a wonder drug.  They do radically change/alter your life . . . but it's not all bad either.  Being someone who is resistant to change and likes pattern/order/predictability in my life, this has been quite an adjustment for me.  On the whole, it's probably a change for the best (though the first six months or so sure didn't seem that way).  There are very strong pros to having a kid . . . but they're not things I would have listed as pros when we were childless.

+1
more to the point
If you have a kid, you give up your freedom, if t doesn't work out with that person your stuck anyway, you can't just up and leave. Not to mention so many of my friends marriage feel apart after having kids, a select few just making it work, and the only thing they do is complain.
DONT HAVE KIDS.
ok, you can have kids but be sure you both really want kids and are almost more afraid of life without them than with them, or something along those lines.

kids are hard-me 3 3 1/2 and under
-first six months=little sleep and protecting from people/animals
maybe SO would be willing to be SAHD and you can work after this preg, labor and first couple months; compromise?

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #158 on: December 09, 2015, 02:45:44 PM »
And it's a struggle for me because I feel the pressure because apprantly that's what you're "supposed" to do, is have kids. My mom said I'm just being selfish, and that I just need to have at least one. Well...my mom has always been right. Who knows if she's right again.

This is complete and utter BS. Having a child when you don't want one is selfish. Realizing you don't want to be a parent and choosing not to have children because of this is one of the most mature, unselfish decisions you can make. Your mother is WRONG.

Someone else may have already commented on this. When I read it, I had to stop reading and respond.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #159 on: December 13, 2015, 10:43:27 AM »
And it's a struggle for me because I feel the pressure because apprantly that's what you're "supposed" to do, is have kids. My mom said I'm just being selfish, and that I just need to have at least one. Well...my mom has always been right. Who knows if she's right again.

This is complete and utter BS. Having a child when you don't want one is selfish. Realizing you don't want to be a parent and choosing not to have children because of this is one of the most mature, unselfish decisions you can make. Your mother is WRONG.

^+1  I totally agree.  Your being honest with yourself and us that you dont want kids so be honest with your boyfriend. If he cant handle it then its not meant to be. If he stays with you because he thinks hes going to change you then you have more problems. The man of your dreams sounds to me to be the one that doesnt have kids and you havent found him yet. I have 4 kids and have plenty of friends that have none and are honest about it and there still my friends.  This isnt a situation you find a happy medium because there isnt one and the kid (s) could be and most likely will be the ones to suffer because of it.

Someone else may have already commented on this. When I read it, I had to stop reading and respond.

HumblePie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #160 on: December 15, 2015, 06:55:29 PM »

+1
I love kids. I have a ton of them myself. It is not for the faint of heart. Would you let someone guilt you into medical school? It's a similar commitment.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #161 on: December 16, 2015, 07:06:00 AM »
Medical school is a much easier commitment, and doesn't require as much work.

LiseE

• Stubble
« Reply #162 on: December 16, 2015, 10:19:17 AM »
Could I possibly love another person more? No. The love I have for my son is incredible. It's sometimes all consuming. I have never in my life thought I would be willing to die for another person, but I would to protect my son. It's impossible to describe.

+1
My suggestion would be to be honest with your boyfriend about how you feel, but don't discount the fact that you may just change your mind in 10-20 years time. I've found having a child in my late 30's to suit me. I got a lot of career goals and travelling out of my system. I'm financially well off and now have the benefit of time and patience that I didn't have in my 20's.

The fact that you can grow a human being in your body ... and then produce food with your body for that little being .. it's amazing!  Feeling that baby grow inside of you .. it's a miracle.  If you're so freaked out about your girlie parts getting messed up have a c-section.

You are young still ... and UNMARRIED.  Your boyfriend wants you to have his kid but doesn't want to make it legally binding for him to take care of you and future child?  Be smart.  Another reason you might be feeling like you don't want kids is because you haven't found the right person .. just sayin'.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #163 on: December 16, 2015, 10:48:00 AM »
I am STILL not entirely sure why we decided not to have kids. It just felt RIGHT. This was good enough for us.

Now, in my Journal, I have described in detail what my FIRE'd life has been like for the first year and a half. Quite a few people have expressed their appreciation for what my days consist of. Simply put, this lifestyle would not be possible with a kid or two. But perhaps my life would be even BETTER? I wouldn't rule this possibility out at all. But it would be DIFFERENT. And my happiness and fulfillment level is so high these days that there is not a shred of regret that we have chose a life without children of our own.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #164 on: December 16, 2015, 11:23:30 AM »
Well, the original topic is really about a mismatch in goals in a relationship.  That is always tough.  Especially once you are attached.  Looking back on what I know of relationships I think I would just get out and find someone with compatible dreams, especially at 24.  And there is someone else out there for you who will be compatible. 

As for kids, no kids, I think we accept what we have for the most part.  Even if you really want kids and couldn't or didn't have them there is usually an acceptance when it is no longer a realistic option, or vice versa when you have them.   

Ongoing regret is a weird emotion to hold onto and I don't think it is a healthy thing to get stuck in it - you move through the cycle of loss to acceptance and make the best of what you have.   You might look back and say you would likely have made a different choice knowing what you know now or having different opportunities, but you accept and love what you do have.  Why wouldn't you?  Otherwise you condemn yourself to discontent, by choice.

These fears of childbirth are just that.  Fears.  Up to you if you choose not to address fears that are out of line with statistical risks.  You can learn to look at things differently.  An anxiety-provoking perspective might keep you safe from some risks, but it will limit choices as well and you simply can't predict or control for everything.  And, at the end of the day, maybe it doesn't matter unless it is significantly interfering with functioning/happiness ie. strong phobias.

Pregnancy and childbirth are pretty overwhelming experiences.  Also quite time-limited processes.  Transient pain and discomfort.  The fear of potential pain is worse imo and enabling these fears is something you can take charge of rather than you being overtaken by it. Your body can have lasting damage, but there are surgeries to correct things like urinary incontinence.  I had kids and mild incontinence.  The surgery to correct was 100% effective and until then I just dealt with it.  So what.

I have no opinion on whether others should have children in general.  You choose.  It turned out unexpectedly well for me despite an imperfect life, imperfect children and things not always going the way I had imagined and wanted and dreamed. 

What kids have brought me is daily feelings of love to the point of knowing with certainty I would give my life life for theirs, the ability to care and protect and see it returned, and the privilege of being part of a family. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 12:50:55 PM by totoro »

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #165 on: December 16, 2015, 12:41:58 PM »
Medical school is a much easier commitment, and doesn't require as much work.

Medical school ends.  Paying off medical school debt eventually ends.  Parenthood?  Ends when you die.

The worrying and impulse to help never end.  If you're lucky you eventually get some grandkids you can also worry about.

I've never been to medical school so I don't know if a feature of that is massive happiness.  I get that from parenthood.  But I'm not sure everyone does. :(

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #166 on: December 16, 2015, 12:42:30 PM »
This whole thread has been really interesting and I've appreciated all the perspectives. If it's not too much of a tangent, I have a question for the childless by choice here.

I have kids, but I also think that people who don't want kids should definitely not have kids. People who could take or leave kids should probably not have kids. Nothing's ever 100%, but unless you're pretty sure, I think you should err on the side of not having kids.

Anyway, more than once friends have told me they're not planning on having kids, and they did it in a way that was kinda confrontational. Like "I know you're not going to like this, but we're not planning on having kids."

I know there's a lot of baggage that gets heaped on the childless (by choice, and also terribly, not by choice), but am I allowed to be a little irked at the assumption that I must feel the same as those jerks just because I have kids?

wepner

• Stubble
« Reply #167 on: December 17, 2015, 11:01:57 AM »
I think it should go without saying but just in case, don't have kids if you don't want kids.

But more importantly, this, is at least, the 2nd topic you've made where you've expressed tons of anxiety and hopelessness about the distant future.   

I'm not trying to be rude, and it's great that you are thinking about your future, but you are clearly not in the best frame of mind right now (and I'm not saying that because you don't want kids or anything). Just like your post about your lack of a job and money (at the time) there are clearly doable steps you can take to solve your problems and you seem to be resisting taking them.

Dogs' behavior is very well understood and there are tons of opportunities for you to learn how to get a dog to behave, you can either take those opportunities or continue to be frustrated and helpless.

If you can't have a reasonable conversation with your boyfriend about this issue then you guys shouldn't be together IMO. When you say that you can't imagine having children right now and that you are feeling overwhelmed about having to make such a major decision when you are so young what does he say? Is he empathetic at all? You've got tons of time it's not your fault he's super old. (Lol I'm gonna be 32 in 10 days).

ps.  It is at least slightly suspicious that he is 50% older than you, what's his story?

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #168 on: December 18, 2015, 08:06:33 AM »
This whole thread has been really interesting and I've appreciated all the perspectives. If it's not too much of a tangent, I have a question for the childless by choice here.

I have kids, but I also think that people who don't want kids should definitely not have kids. People who could take or leave kids should probably not have kids. Nothing's ever 100%, but unless you're pretty sure, I think you should err on the side of not having kids.

Anyway, more than once friends have told me they're not planning on having kids, and they did it in a way that was kinda confrontational. Like "I know you're not going to like this, but we're not planning on having kids."

I know there's a lot of baggage that gets heaped on the childless (by choice, and also terribly, not by choice), but am I allowed to be a little irked at the assumption that I must feel the same as those jerks just because I have kids?

The confrontational tone just comes from defensiveness.  While I think most people do understand why one may want to be childless by choice, at least on some level, it's incredibly rare for someone to voice that support.  I've learned to keep these conversations light, and when kids come up I just demur with a simple "we're not sure but leaning towards no,"  (really we are at about 95% no), and the response is always, always, always, "well you still have time," rather than, "it's not for everyone."  I look younger than I am, but most people bringing kids up with me know I'm 31.  Am I really going to have a sea change on this in the next 4 years?  I'm pretty doubtful.  (Not that 35 is a hard cutoff, but I do worry greatly about the health implications of having kids much later than that, particularly because I do not think I am up to caring for a special needs child ---- one of the bigger reasons why we are leaning towards a childfree life.)

Perhaps this is on me for not being firm enough in stating our decision, but I think the self doubt just comes from society telling me again and again and again that kids are what's supposed to happen next.  Even my best friend semi recently said that she has no doubt that we'll wind up with a kid, and since she had a baby a year ago I suddenly feel like I can no longer talk about the reasons I don't want kids.  Because it does sort of feel like an attack on her whole life, now.  Going back to the special needs thing, I think many people have kids just kind of discounting that possibility, and personally I think you should either 1) know you are willing to give everything to your child regardless of what they need, even if it might be the rest of your life or 2) not have kids, because otherwise it's just a huge display of hubris and denial.  But am I going to say that to my best friend?  Of course not.  And maybe more people fall into the first category than I realize, but I know that I do not want to spend the rest of my life being a caretaker for a severely disabled child, no matter how much I find myself in love once that child exists in the world.

And the trajectory of our lives are going to be so different now.  She's planning another kid in a few years and she and her husband will both eventually be very high earners but they will live in a two income household and work for at least the next 20 years most likely in the same city where they live now, 20 years of rushed meals and driving kids to soccer practice no matter how much they try to avoid the pressure of extracurriculars and tutors and over scheduled kids.  Whereas my husband and I are looking at freedom from work in about a decade, and will spend our nonwork hours this decade cooking slow meals, going on bike rides and hikes, traveling a lot.  She'll be able to do some of that of course, but not like she did before.  And it's a trade off that I think she is extremely happy with, but its hard for me to look at it and not feel like she got the short end of the stick.   

So it's a tough conversation to have, and tough conversations do not always go well.  I think its also one of the rare tough conversations that is allowed to come up in polite company.  Also, I have to ask:  why do people keep telling you they're not having kids?  Is it because you keep asking?  :)

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #169 on: December 18, 2015, 08:40:07 AM »
Also, I have to ask:  why do people keep telling you they're not having kids?  Is it because you keep asking?  :)

Nope, I didn't ask at all. One was an old college friend, and I was pregnant when he and his now-wife got engaged. So, I think from his perspective I brought it up by being pregnant? Don't know. The second was a coworker who just got engaged, and we were both in a meeting where we had an icebreaker of "share something interesting about yourself". I said that I had a moderate to severe caffeine addiction, this other guy said that he has a 9-month-old. I was talking to her later about how I didn't feel like I as a woman could ever say "I have kids" in a situation like that and get the overwhelmingly positive response that he did.

I bring up kids because I have them, they're a part of my life, but I'm firm about not being one of "those parents" who can't talk about anything else. Not just because it's annoying to others, but because my kids are only part of my life, not the whole thing.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #170 on: December 28, 2015, 06:54:22 AM »
[A]m I allowed to be a little irked at the assumption that I must feel the same as those jerks just because I have kids?

Yes, you are allowed to be irked. Childless people are assuming that you'll behave in the same way as the majority (possibly all) the people with kids that they have had this conversation with in the past. This isn't cool any more than if they assumed what you thought because you are Jedi/Smurf/hot/female/straight/whatever. It's also not cool that the childless person has had such a poor experience in the past that they assume you are going to be insufferable about their choice.

You sound like you are reasonable and interesting and have balanced views on this tricky topic. If we ever met I will buy you a drink. Unfortunately we will both probably have to put up with people being idiots in the meantime.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #171 on: December 28, 2015, 08:14:00 AM »
You sound like you are reasonable and interesting and have balanced views on this tricky topic. If we ever met I will buy you a drink. Unfortunately we will both probably have to put up with people being idiots in the meantime.

Haha. Thank you. If your name is correct and you're actually in the UK, I'm probably going to be in Sheffield/York/Northallerton/Sunderland sometime in the next year. Given the population distribution of the UK, you're much more likely to be in the south, but just in case...

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #172 on: December 28, 2015, 08:25:11 AM »
I have family in York so not that crazy an idea - let me know when you have a date set!

3okirb

• Stubble
« Reply #173 on: December 28, 2015, 08:28:55 AM »
It sounds like you sincerely don't want kids. 

Imagine having them anyway.  Imagine the negative effect that would have on the well-being of any child you would have.  On you.  And on your relationship with the child's father.

Not every man wants kids.  But many people who want kids tend to think that everyone, deep down, should or will want them if they are "normal." 

You owe it to yourself and everyone involved to not allow yourself to be swayed boy others' opinions.  This is too important to let others have a say in what you want. 

I am much the way you are.  I am now almost 49, and so, so thankful I never had children.  I am also happily married -- in my case, to someone who had children from a previous marriage.  I was married before to someone who did not want children. We didn't work out, but not because of the children issue.

Find someone who is on board with you.  I know it is a tremendously difficult thing to contemplate that the person you are with is not the right person for you because of this, but if one of you definitely wants kids and the other definitely doesn't, then you will need to face that you have a basic, fundamwntal incompatibility.  You might consider seeing a counselor to talk through this and find the strength to contemplate closing the door on this relationship.
+1,000,000

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #174 on: December 30, 2015, 05:24:58 AM »
I also looked after a younger sibling when I was a kid, well a teenager, that gave me a taste of parenthood and I didn't like it. In my early 20's, people told me I would change my mind, I'm now almost 38, married for 4 years and haven't changed my mind yet. Before we got married my husband assumed we would have kids but I talked to him about why he wanted them, what it was about kids he found appealing, he hadn't even thought about it he had just 'assumed' that's what would happen but once he thought about it he realised it wasn't appealing to him either. I used to worry about this a lot but now we talk about it only once every 6-12 months and occasionally if I get a bit clucky, my husband talks me back to my senses.

Try talking to your boyfriend  about his reasoning, maybe he's like mine and never gave it much thought. Definitely make sure you are on the same page before you get married/are committed to each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!