Author Topic: Just saw the eclipse!  (Read 3294 times)

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
Just saw the eclipse!
« on: August 21, 2017, 11:55:02 AM »
Not in totality (90%....and now i'm blind....jk)

Did the pinhole thing and people shared their eclipse glasses....now my inner 7th grade science student is very happy!

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Just saw the eclipse!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 12:32:53 PM »
It looked like this from our land in eastern Washington (photo taken through a couple of welding goggles, shade 12 and shade 7 combined).  I guess for us it got to 95% or so?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 12:43:51 PM »
Just saw it too. My photo is so horribly bad I just had to share. You can almost not see part of the sun.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 12:44:29 PM »
I saw it at work (87%) and was able to bum off someone else's glasses to catch a glimpse (there was a whole group congregated out front).  It was pretty badass, though would have been far more so if I could have made it to a 100% zone.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 02:24:53 PM »
We saw the eclipse south of Portland. We were in the path of totality, so we got to see total eclipse, on a perfectly cloudless day.

It was the coolest thing I have ever seen.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 02:27:17 PM »
I saw our ~60% eclipse here today! It was fun because it turned into an impromptu block party, with more folks than I would have expected home during the day. We all shared our pinhole cameras and viewing glasses, lots of fun!

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 02:29:42 PM »
We were in the path of totality and I thought the eclipse was amazing. Totally exceeded my expectations.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 02:49:48 PM »
Just saw 60%, still pretty cool. Next time around (2024) if I still live here I'll be in the totality path!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 03:10:49 PM »
We are in the 80% zone, and it was still one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Can't wait for 2024. I am going to try for totality in Montreal--it will be worth a bit of a road trip.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 03:20:32 PM »
We were just off the path of totality, and the three coolest things, were 1) the dappling of bright crescents in the shadows of the leaves (the little bits of sunlight coming through openings in the foliage that were acting like pinhole cameras) and 2) the fact that although the sunlight seemed only halved, or so, the radiant heat of the sun vanished entirely, and 3) the little ripple-bands (is there a name for these? It's the sun "twinkling" -- little bands of dark and light running across the ground.)

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 03:51:18 PM »
We got about  75% but it was hazy...still visible though.  I was swimming laps in an outdoor pool at the peak, so did a few rounds of backstroking while squinting at the near vicinity of the sun.  Temperature dropped notably, even with all the concrete holding heat.