Author Topic: Just one step short . . .  (Read 1191 times)

GuitarStv

  • Senior Mustachian
  • ********
  • Posts: 10015
  • Age: 36
  • Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Just one step short . . .
« on: January 29, 2018, 01:51:39 PM »
At work we've got touchless urinals, touchless toilets, touchless soap dispensers, touchless taps, and touchless hand driers.  Then you have to touch the same door handle that everyone else who doesn't wash their hands in the bathroom uses.  :S

Does it drive you nuts when there's a lot of time/money spent to achieve an effect that's completely undone at the end?

BTDretire

  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1768
Re: Just one step short . . .
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 02:00:53 PM »
At work we've got touchless urinals, touchless toilets, touchless soap dispensers, touchless taps, and touchless hand driers.  Then you have to touch the same door handle that everyone else who doesn't wash their hands in the bathroom uses.  :S

Does it drive you nuts when there's a lot of time/money spent to achieve an effect that's completely undone at the end?

 Yep, like to have a paper towel to open the door and a waste basket there to throw the towel in.

ncornilsen

  • Pencil Stache
  • ****
  • Posts: 712
Re: Just one step short . . .
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 02:43:47 PM »
At work we've got touchless urinals, touchless toilets, touchless soap dispensers, touchless taps, and touchless hand driers.  Then you have to touch the same door handle that everyone else who doesn't wash their hands in the bathroom uses.  :S

Does it drive you nuts when there's a lot of time/money spent to achieve an effect that's completely undone at the end?

Yep. I managed the remodel project on the bathrooms here at work... ~1000 people use them between each shift. they get NASTY.

We went fully touchless with everything, even adding walls to make it so noone can see anything if the door is open.

It lasted about 2 days.

I literally got hate e-mails. Women accused me of being a pervert for wanted to do doorless bathrooms... one stopped me in the hall and started shouting and getting in my face... People ripped the door-holders right out of the wall... they hated the idea of having the doors be open THAT much. About 10% of the people wanted to keep the doors open since they recognized how gross the handles were... but we got outvoted.

megaschnauzer

  • Stubble
  • **
  • Posts: 164
  • Age: 52
  • Location: Pensacola, FL
Re: Just one step short . . .
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 02:47:13 PM »
it would be cheaper if the company provided everyone with latex gloves.

simonsez

  • Pencil Stache
  • ****
  • Posts: 514
  • Age: 31
Re: Just one step short . . .
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 02:54:26 PM »
No, not really.  What grinds my gears more than anything in a public restroom is the lack of a lid on a toilet.  I think the airborne dispersion of germs is much more horrifying there than someone's clean* hands opening the door.

However, you could always write an email to your building manager and have them switch the direction the door swings or at the minimum install those tabs for the bottom you could maneuver with your foot to pull it open.  Alternatively, ask for hand sanitizer outside the restroom.  Going door-less could work if the restroom was large enough.  If not that large, then the percussion risk is likely too high and will make people feel uncomfortable.

I wonder what the future will be like wrt to restroom hygiene.  Will there be something to sanitize shoes, especially the soles? Oh brave new world...

*-I'd estimate the percentage of people that wash their hands at work to be about 80%.  Of the remaining 20%, about half just use the hand sanitizer outside the restroom.

BudgetSlasher

  • Bristles
  • ***
  • Posts: 415
Re: Just one step short . . .
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 06:33:42 PM »
At work we've got touchless urinals, touchless toilets, touchless soap dispensers, touchless taps, and touchless hand driers.  Then you have to touch the same door handle that everyone else who doesn't wash their hands in the bathroom uses.  :S

Does it drive you nuts when there's a lot of time/money spent to achieve an effect that's completely undone at the end?

 Yep, like to have a paper towel to open the door and a waste basket there to throw the towel in.

I anyways enjoy seeing a restroom door that has a toe pull installed.

RWD

  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1767
  • Location: Mississippi
Re: Just one step short . . .
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 07:01:20 PM »
I literally got hate e-mails. Women accused me of being a pervert for wanted to do doorless bathrooms... one stopped me in the hall and started shouting and getting in my face... People ripped the door-holders right out of the wall... they hated the idea of having the doors be open THAT much.

Have these people never been to an airport?

Daley

  • Magnum Stache
  • ******
  • Posts: 3727
  • Location: Cow country. Moo.
  • Got that mustache feeling.
    • Technical Meshugana
Re: Just one step short . . .
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 08:39:18 PM »
I literally got hate e-mails. Women accused me of being a pervert for wanted to do doorless bathrooms... one stopped me in the hall and started shouting and getting in my face... People ripped the door-holders right out of the wall... they hated the idea of having the doors be open THAT much.

Have these people never been to an airport?

Or a Walmart?
Hi, I'm Daley, the Howard Cosell of MVNOs and the Technical Meshugana. I'm also the author of the Frugal Communications Guide and our own Superguide.

Mississippi Mudstache

  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1635
  • Age: 34
  • Location: Danielsville, GA
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
Re: Just one step short . . .
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 05:17:48 AM »
At work we've got touchless urinals, touchless toilets, touchless soap dispensers, touchless taps, and touchless hand driers.  Then you have to touch the same door handle that everyone else who doesn't wash their hands in the bathroom uses.  :S

Does it drive you nuts when there's a lot of time/money spent to achieve an effect that's completely undone at the end?

I know, right? That's why I poop in the trash can behind my desk.
Never. Give up.

My Woodworking Blog

driftwood

  • Stubble
  • **
  • Posts: 161
Re: Just one step short . . .
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 05:44:36 AM »
A lack of attention to the whole beginning-to-end process drives me crazy too. Especially because all those additions cost money to install and maintain, but the value they could add is lost when the doors aren't automated, or removed, or able to be opened with a foot.

On the other hand, after using motion-detecting faucets, automatic soap dispensers, automatic doors, etc for a long time, I catch myself standing in front of 'manual' doors waiting for them to magically open.  Then I feel like an ass.

*Nothing I post should be taken too seriously*

Dabnasty

  • Bristles
  • ***
  • Posts: 445
  • Age: 28
  • Location: North Carolina
Re: Just one step short . . .
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 06:37:21 AM »
No, not really.  What grinds my gears more than anything in a public restroom is the lack of a lid on a toilet.  I think the airborne dispersion of germs is much more horrifying there than someone's clean* hands opening the door.

However, you could always write an email to your building manager and have them switch the direction the door swings or at the minimum install those tabs for the bottom you could maneuver with your foot to pull it open.  Alternatively, ask for hand sanitizer outside the restroom.  Going door-less could work if the restroom was large enough.  If not that large, then the percussion risk is likely too high and will make people feel uncomfortable.

I wonder what the future will be like wrt to restroom hygiene.  Will there be something to sanitize shoes, especially the soles? Oh brave new world...

*-I'd estimate the percentage of people that wash their hands at work to be about 80%.  Of the remaining 20%, about half just use the hand sanitizer outside the restroom.
But are you counting the people who turn the water on, stick their hands in quickly, and then turn it back off? Because all they're really doing is wetting their hands to facilitate the transfer of germs. If I don't count that as washing I would estimate close to the opposite, 20/80, in our building.

A Definite Beta Guy

  • Pencil Stache
  • ****
  • Posts: 576
Re: Just one step short . . .
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 07:23:24 AM »
At work we've got touchless urinals, touchless toilets, touchless soap dispensers, touchless taps, and touchless hand driers.  Then you have to touch the same door handle that everyone else who doesn't wash their hands in the bathroom uses.  :S

Does it drive you nuts when there's a lot of time/money spent to achieve an effect that's completely undone at the end?

 Yep, like to have a paper towel to open the door and a waste basket there to throw the towel in.

I anyways enjoy seeing a restroom door that has a toe pull installed.

My old office had both. It was pretty sweet. Took a little while to get used to that toe pull, though...almost fell on my ass a few times.

Co-workers who don't wash their hands disgust me.

GuitarStv

  • Senior Mustachian
  • ********
  • Posts: 10015
  • Age: 36
  • Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: Just one step short . . .
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 08:14:34 AM »
At work we've got touchless urinals, touchless toilets, touchless soap dispensers, touchless taps, and touchless hand driers.  Then you have to touch the same door handle that everyone else who doesn't wash their hands in the bathroom uses.  :S

Does it drive you nuts when there's a lot of time/money spent to achieve an effect that's completely undone at the end?

I know, right? That's why I poop in the trash can behind my desk.

At work we call that the Mississippi "Mud" Stash.  :P

GuitarStv

  • Senior Mustachian
  • ********
  • Posts: 10015
  • Age: 36
  • Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: Just one step short . . .
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 08:16:03 AM »
No, not really.  What grinds my gears more than anything in a public restroom is the lack of a lid on a toilet.  I think the airborne dispersion of germs is much more horrifying there than someone's clean* hands opening the door.

However, you could always write an email to your building manager and have them switch the direction the door swings or at the minimum install those tabs for the bottom you could maneuver with your foot to pull it open.  Alternatively, ask for hand sanitizer outside the restroom.  Going door-less could work if the restroom was large enough.  If not that large, then the percussion risk is likely too high and will make people feel uncomfortable.

I wonder what the future will be like wrt to restroom hygiene.  Will there be something to sanitize shoes, especially the soles? Oh brave new world...

*-I'd estimate the percentage of people that wash their hands at work to be about 80%.  Of the remaining 20%, about half just use the hand sanitizer outside the restroom.
But are you counting the people who turn the water on, stick their hands in quickly, and then turn it back off? Because all they're really doing is wetting their hands to facilitate the transfer of germs. If I don't count that as washing I would estimate close to the opposite, 20/80, in our building.

Hand washing with soap is (of course) much more effective . . . but honestly, I was surprised at how useful just using water alone is:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3037063/

ginjaninja

  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • *
  • Posts: 28
  • Location: Littleton, CO
Re: Just one step short . . .
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 08:20:17 AM »
Has anyone ever wondered that if soap does its job, why do we need automatic soap dispensers?

Everything else makes sense, but the soap always confused me. lol

DS

  • Stubble
  • **
  • Posts: 145
  • Age: 116
  • Location: Universe
Re: Just one step short . . .
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 08:25:24 AM »
Has anyone ever wondered that if soap does its job, why do we need automatic soap dispensers?

Everything else makes sense, but the soap always confused me. lol

Answer is simple: Jet fuel doesn't melt steel beams

MasterStache

  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1190
Re: Just one step short . . .
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 08:52:03 AM »
Some funny ass answers on this thread.

The easy fix is to make the door swing out instead of in. No need to even touch the door with your hands. Probably some sort of safety hazard though having it open outward. Who the hell knows. 

Dabnasty

  • Bristles
  • ***
  • Posts: 445
  • Age: 28
  • Location: North Carolina
Re: Just one step short . . .
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 09:17:25 AM »
No, not really.  What grinds my gears more than anything in a public restroom is the lack of a lid on a toilet.  I think the airborne dispersion of germs is much more horrifying there than someone's clean* hands opening the door.

However, you could always write an email to your building manager and have them switch the direction the door swings or at the minimum install those tabs for the bottom you could maneuver with your foot to pull it open.  Alternatively, ask for hand sanitizer outside the restroom.  Going door-less could work if the restroom was large enough.  If not that large, then the percussion risk is likely too high and will make people feel uncomfortable.

I wonder what the future will be like wrt to restroom hygiene.  Will there be something to sanitize shoes, especially the soles? Oh brave new world...

*-I'd estimate the percentage of people that wash their hands at work to be about 80%.  Of the remaining 20%, about half just use the hand sanitizer outside the restroom.
But are you counting the people who turn the water on, stick their hands in quickly, and then turn it back off? Because all they're really doing is wetting their hands to facilitate the transfer of germs. If I don't count that as washing I would estimate close to the opposite, 20/80, in our building.

Hand washing with soap is (of course) much more effective . . . but honestly, I was surprised at how useful just using water alone is:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3037063/

It is effective if proper mechanical action is applied (I don't even use soap on many of my dishes unless there is oil on them) but I was referring specifically to the "I'm gonna see if I can just barely get one hand wet so other people think I washed my hands" guy.

GuitarStv

  • Senior Mustachian
  • ********
  • Posts: 10015
  • Age: 36
  • Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: Just one step short . . .
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 09:19:06 AM »
No, not really.  What grinds my gears more than anything in a public restroom is the lack of a lid on a toilet.  I think the airborne dispersion of germs is much more horrifying there than someone's clean* hands opening the door.

However, you could always write an email to your building manager and have them switch the direction the door swings or at the minimum install those tabs for the bottom you could maneuver with your foot to pull it open.  Alternatively, ask for hand sanitizer outside the restroom.  Going door-less could work if the restroom was large enough.  If not that large, then the percussion risk is likely too high and will make people feel uncomfortable.

I wonder what the future will be like wrt to restroom hygiene.  Will there be something to sanitize shoes, especially the soles? Oh brave new world...

*-I'd estimate the percentage of people that wash their hands at work to be about 80%.  Of the remaining 20%, about half just use the hand sanitizer outside the restroom.
But are you counting the people who turn the water on, stick their hands in quickly, and then turn it back off? Because all they're really doing is wetting their hands to facilitate the transfer of germs. If I don't count that as washing I would estimate close to the opposite, 20/80, in our building.

Hand washing with soap is (of course) much more effective . . . but honestly, I was surprised at how useful just using water alone is:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3037063/

It is effective if proper mechanical action is applied (I don't even use soap on many of my dishes unless there is oil on them) but I was referring specifically to the "I'm gonna see if I can just barely get one hand wet so other people think I washed my hands" guy.

Hmmm . . . Is that better or worse than the "I'll wrap some toilet paper over my hand while I hold my dick at the urinal so I don't need to wash my hands at all" guy that we have at work?  :P

Johnez

  • Pencil Stache
  • ****
  • Posts: 679
  • Location: Southern California
Re: Just one step short . . .
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 04:09:51 PM »
I'm actually thankful the new plant manager who redid our bathroom had the foresight to include not one automatic paper towel dispensers, but TWO! Not having to wait like a doofus for the stupid thing to reset so I can properly dry my hands with two paper towels makes me smile a little every time.

Also, our sink has a foot pedal.

And the door is propped open (being inside the locker room).

Love this place.

bluebelle

  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • *
  • Posts: 80
  • Location: Toronto
Re: Just one step short . . .
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2018, 04:19:11 PM »
funny....most of the office buildings I've been in lately have one of two things....a paper towel dispenser and garbage can right at the door, or an automatic door opener (aka handicap door opener). 


RetiredAt63

  • Walrus Stache
  • *******
  • Posts: 7259
  • Location: Eastern Ontario, Canada
Re: Just one step short . . .
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2018, 06:18:40 PM »
I've worked where newer buildings had washrooms like that.  They are lovely, and the automatic/handicapped access door opener solves the exit issue. 

The down side is that when the power goes off, it . . . all . . .  just . . . stops . . . working.  No water to wash with, no automatic flush, no nothing.  And pitch black of course.   And these buildings are big enough that there will always be people using the washroom when the power goes off.
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

Dabnasty

  • Bristles
  • ***
  • Posts: 445
  • Age: 28
  • Location: North Carolina
Re: Just one step short . . .
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2018, 07:06:33 AM »
I'm actually thankful the new plant manager who redid our bathroom had the foresight to include not one automatic paper towel dispensers, but TWO! Not having to wait like a doofus for the stupid thing to reset so I can properly dry my hands with two paper towels makes me smile a little every time.

Also, our sink has a foot pedal.

And the door is propped open (being inside the locker room).

Love this place.
Two paper towels?! I feel guilty when I use one, usually I air/clothes dry. Something just feels wrong about using a whole sheet of paper to get clean water off my hands.

Oh, and I'm only judging a little. I realize you're the normal one :)

Just Joe

  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1423
Re: Just one step short . . .
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2018, 07:45:40 AM »
Put Star Trek doors on those washrooms! Problem solved (until the power goes out as previously mentioned).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMX9ZAD_h3g

Judging by the episodes I've seen those Star Trek doors are really hard to open manually. ;)

Daley

  • Magnum Stache
  • ******
  • Posts: 3727
  • Location: Cow country. Moo.
  • Got that mustache feeling.
    • Technical Meshugana
Re: Just one step short . . .
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2018, 07:48:52 AM »
usually I air/clothes dry

I hope that's natural air drying and not mechanical. Talk about undoing all the sanitation, you think grabbing the door handle is bad...
Hi, I'm Daley, the Howard Cosell of MVNOs and the Technical Meshugana. I'm also the author of the Frugal Communications Guide and our own Superguide.

Mississippi Mudstache

  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1635
  • Age: 34
  • Location: Danielsville, GA
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
Re: Just one step short . . .
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2018, 07:57:56 AM »
Two paper towels?! I feel guilty when I use one, usually I air/clothes dry. Something just feels wrong about using a whole sheet of paper to get clean water off my hands.

Oh, and I'm only judging a little. I realize you're the normal one :)

The paper industry is funding my early retirement. Use three paper towels! (I kid, I kid. Amazon and the ridiculous quantities of cardboard packaging that it requires are enough to keep my bills paid.)
Never. Give up.

My Woodworking Blog